QFTCIBP Current Events 1-2

Mark Brader

Jan 23, 2018, 3:37:23 AM1/23/18
These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on the date
indicated below, and should be interpreted accordingly. If any
answers have changed due to newer news, you are still expected to
give the answers that were correct on that date.

Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

All questions were written by members of Bill Psychs and are
used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
been retyped and/or edited by me. The posting and tabulation of
current-events questions is independent of the concurrent posting of
other rounds. For further information see my 2017-09-25 companion
posting on "Questions from the Canadian Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

* Game 1 (2018-01-15), Round 1 - Current Events

1. On Tuesday, a pub in Kingston announced that it was removing the
reference to a prominent Canadian from its name because of his
role in the notorious residential school system? What person
was this?

2. Which Royal Family member started nursery school last week at
Willcocks Nursery School in London?

3. What female French actor, known for playing a bored housewife
who spends her afternoons as a prostitute in the 1967 film
"Belle de Jour", received lots of criticism this week for
speaking out against the #MeToo movement?

4. This week, President Trump met with the prime minister of
a European country. He later expressed, quite offensively, a
desire for more immigrants from that country instead of other,
less desirable countries. What country's prime minister did
Trump meet with?

5. Canada's Olympic men's hockey team roster was announced
on Thursday. Although players currently playing in the NHL
are unavailable this year, almost all of the team's players
have NHL experience. Which goalie selected for the team once
played for the Toronto Maple Leafs?

6. On Friday it was announced that the Toronto Blue Jays avoided
arbitration with star player Josh Donaldson and signed him to
a 1-year contract. In US dollars, how much is the contract
reportedly worth for the one year, making him the highest-paid
player on the Blue Jays?

7. On Tuesday, the Toronto Star reported that two Toronto City
Councillors missed roughly half of all recorded city council
votes in 2017. Name either one.

8. More sexual misconduct allegations this week -- this time against
the Golden Globe award-winning actor and director of the movie
"The Disaster Artist". Name this alleged perpetrator.

9. Justin Trudeau is doing a series of town-hall meetings, again,
to counter bad publicity about his ethics violation. Name one of
the three cities where Trudeau hosted town halls this past week.

10. This week it was revealed that Wikileaks founder Julian Assange
had been granted citizenship of the country, whose London
embassy he has been living in for over 5 years. What country?

* Game 2 (2018-01-22), Round 1 - Current Events

1. The lead singer of the Cranberries died this week. What was
her name?

2. Jurors have acquitted the three former Montreal, Maine & Atlantic
Railway (MMA) employees charged with criminal negligence causing
death in a 2013 derailment and explosion. In which Quebec city
did this disaster occur?

3. For the first time, the Canada Olympic Committee has announced
that Canada will have two flag-bearers for the opening
ceremonies. Name *both*.

4. In other Olympic news, it was announced that two countries will
be sending a joint team to the Olympics. Which two countries?

5. The Bank of Canada raised its key lending rate Wednesday, the
third time it has moved its benchmark rate from once-record
lows last summer. What is the new rate, exactly?

6. The Canadian Academy of Recording Arts and Sciences (CARAS)
announced that a new band will be inducted into the Canadian
Music Hall of Fame at the Junos this year. Over their 30-year
career, this band has won 8 Juno awards. Who are they?

7. This week a major multinational company announced a 20-city
shortlist for their second headquarters. Toronto was the only
Canadian city on the list. What company was it?

8. Premier Wynne shuffled her cabinet last week. Two senior
officials left the cabinet: the Advanced Education Minister and
the Treasury Board President. Name *either* one. (Junior
ministers were promoted to replace them.)

9. Friday, the Blue Jays traded reliever Dominic Leone and
minor-league pitcher Conner Greene for a new outfielder. Who?

10. A top political adviser to former Ontario premier Dalton
McGuinty was found guilty Friday of criminal charges for wiping
information from government computers following the controversial
cancellation of two gas-fired power plants. Name him.

--
Mark Brader | "A man's vehicle is a symbol of his manhood. That's why
Toronto | my vehicle's the Piccadilly Line - It's the size of a county

Erland Sommarskog

Jan 23, 2018, 4:04:10 AM1/23/18
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:

> 3. What female French actor, known for playing a bored housewife
> who spends her afternoons as a prostitute in the 1967 film
> "Belle de Jour", received lots of criticism this week for
> speaking out against the #MeToo movement?

Catherine Deneuve

> 4. This week, President Trump met with the prime minister of
> a European country. He later expressed, quite offensively, a
> desire for more immigrants from that country instead of other,
> less desirable countries. What country's prime minister did
> Trump meet with?

Norway

> 10. This week it was revealed that Wikileaks founder Julian Assange
> had been granted citizenship of the country, whose London
> embassy he has been living in for over 5 years. What country?

Ecuador

> * Game 2 (2018-01-22), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 1. The lead singer of the Cranberries died this week. What was
> her name?

O'Rihoran or something like that.

> 4. In other Olympic news, it was announced that two countries will
> be sending a joint team to the Olympics. Which two countries?

North Korea and South Korea

Dan Blum

Jan 23, 2018, 10:21:01 AM1/23/18
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 1 (2018-01-15), Round 1 - Current Events

> 2. Which Royal Family member started nursery school last week at
> Willcocks Nursery School in London?

Princess Charlotte

> 3. What female French actor, known for playing a bored housewife
> who spends her afternoons as a prostitute in the 1967 film
> "Belle de Jour", received lots of criticism this week for
> speaking out against the #MeToo movement?

Catherine Deneuve

> 4. This week, President Trump met with the prime minister of
> a European country. He later expressed, quite offensively, a
> desire for more immigrants from that country instead of other,
> less desirable countries. What country's prime minister did
> Trump meet with?

Norway

> 6. On Friday it was announced that the Toronto Blue Jays avoided
> arbitration with star player Josh Donaldson and signed him to
> a 1-year contract. In US dollars, how much is the contract
> reportedly worth for the one year, making him the highest-paid
> player on the Blue Jays?

$8 million; $6 million

> 8. More sexual misconduct allegations this week -- this time against
> the Golden Globe award-winning actor and director of the movie
> "The Disaster Artist". Name this alleged perpetrator.

James Franco

> 9. Justin Trudeau is doing a series of town-hall meetings, again,
> to counter bad publicity about his ethics violation. Name one of
> the three cities where Trudeau hosted town halls this past week.

Montreal; Calgary

> 10. This week it was revealed that Wikileaks founder Julian Assange
> had been granted citizenship of the country, whose London
> embassy he has been living in for over 5 years. What country?

Ecuador

> * Game 2 (2018-01-22), Round 1 - Current Events

> 1. The lead singer of the Cranberries died this week. What was
> her name?

O'Riordan

> 7. This week a major multinational company announced a 20-city
> shortlist for their second headquarters. Toronto was the only
> Canadian city on the list. What company was it?

Amazon

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Peter Smyth

Jan 23, 2018, 1:23:54 PM1/23/18
Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 1 (2018-01-15), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 1. On Tuesday, a pub in Kingston announced that it was removing the
> reference to a prominent Canadian from its name because of his
> role in the notorious residential school system? What person
> was this?
>
> 2. Which Royal Family member started nursery school last week at
> Willcocks Nursery School in London?
Princess Charlotte
> 3. What female French actor, known for playing a bored housewife
> who spends her afternoons as a prostitute in the 1967 film
> "Belle de Jour", received lots of criticism this week for
> speaking out against the #MeToo movement?
>
> 4. This week, President Trump met with the prime minister of
> a European country. He later expressed, quite offensively, a
> desire for more immigrants from that country instead of other,
> less desirable countries. What country's prime minister did
> Trump meet with?
Ireland
> 5. Canada's Olympic men's hockey team roster was announced
> on Thursday. Although players currently playing in the NHL
> are unavailable this year, almost all of the team's players
> have NHL experience. Which goalie selected for the team once
> played for the Toronto Maple Leafs?
>
> 6. On Friday it was announced that the Toronto Blue Jays avoided
> arbitration with star player Josh Donaldson and signed him to
> a 1-year contract. In US dollars, how much is the contract
> reportedly worth for the one year, making him the highest-paid
> player on the Blue Jays?
>
> 7. On Tuesday, the Toronto Star reported that two Toronto City
> Councillors missed roughly half of all recorded city council
> votes in 2017. Name either one.
>
> 8. More sexual misconduct allegations this week -- this time against
> the Golden Globe award-winning actor and director of the movie
> "The Disaster Artist". Name this alleged perpetrator.
>
> 9. Justin Trudeau is doing a series of town-hall meetings, again,
> to counter bad publicity about his ethics violation. Name one of
> the three cities where Trudeau hosted town halls this past week.
>
> 10. This week it was revealed that Wikileaks founder Julian Assange
> had been granted citizenship of the country, whose London
> embassy he has been living in for over 5 years. What country?
Ecuador

> * Game 2 (2018-01-22), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 1. The lead singer of the Cranberries died this week. What was
> her name?
Dolores O'Riordan
> 2. Jurors have acquitted the three former Montreal, Maine & Atlantic
> Railway (MMA) employees charged with criminal negligence causing
> death in a 2013 derailment and explosion. In which Quebec city
> did this disaster occur?
Lac Megantic
> 3. For the first time, the Canada Olympic Committee has announced
> that Canada will have two flag-bearers for the opening
> ceremonies. Name both.
>
> 4. In other Olympic news, it was announced that two countries will
> be sending a joint team to the Olympics. Which two countries?
North and South Korea
> 5. The Bank of Canada raised its key lending rate Wednesday, the
> third time it has moved its benchmark rate from once-record
> lows last summer. What is the new rate, exactly?
>
> 6. The Canadian Academy of Recording Arts and Sciences (CARAS)
> announced that a new band will be inducted into the Canadian
> Music Hall of Fame at the Junos this year. Over their 30-year
> career, this band has won 8 Juno awards. Who are they?
>
> 7. This week a major multinational company announced a 20-city
> shortlist for their second headquarters. Toronto was the only
> Canadian city on the list. What company was it?
>
> 8. Premier Wynne shuffled her cabinet last week. Two senior
> officials left the cabinet: the Advanced Education Minister and
> the Treasury Board President. Name either one. (Junior
> ministers were promoted to replace them.)
>
> 9. Friday, the Blue Jays traded reliever Dominic Leone and
> minor-league pitcher Conner Greene for a new outfielder. Who?
>
> 10. A top political adviser to former Ontario premier Dalton
> McGuinty was found guilty Friday of criminal charges for wiping
> information from government computers following the controversial
> cancellation of two gas-fired power plants. Name him.

Peter Smyth

Marc Dashevsky

Jan 23, 2018, 4:43:51 PM1/23/18
In article <qtydnTFOIJKjafvH...@giganews.com>, m...@vex.net says...
> * Game 1 (2018-01-15), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 1. On Tuesday, a pub in Kingston announced that it was removing the
> reference to a prominent Canadian from its name because of his
> role in the notorious residential school system? What person
> was this?
>
> 2. Which Royal Family member started nursery school last week at
> Willcocks Nursery School in London?
>
> 3. What female French actor, known for playing a bored housewife
> who spends her afternoons as a prostitute in the 1967 film
> "Belle de Jour", received lots of criticism this week for
> speaking out against the #MeToo movement?
Catherine Deneuve

> 4. This week, President Trump met with the prime minister of
> a European country. He later expressed, quite offensively, a
> desire for more immigrants from that country instead of other,
> less desirable countries. What country's prime minister did
> Trump meet with?
Norway

> [...]

> career, this band has won 8 Juno awards. Who are they?
>
> 7. This week a major multinational company announced a 20-city
> shortlist for their second headquarters. Toronto was the only
> Canadian city on the list. What company was it?
Amazon

> 8. Premier Wynne shuffled her cabinet last week. Two senior
> officials left the cabinet: the Advanced Education Minister and
> the Treasury Board President. Name *either* one. (Junior
> ministers were promoted to replace them.)
>
> 9. Friday, the Blue Jays traded reliever Dominic Leone and
> minor-league pitcher Conner Greene for a new outfielder. Who?
>
> 10. A top political adviser to former Ontario premier Dalton
> McGuinty was found guilty Friday of criminal charges for wiping
> information from government computers following the controversial
> cancellation of two gas-fired power plants. Name him.

Pete Gayde

Jan 23, 2018, 5:08:07 PM1/23/18
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:qtydnTFOIJKjafvHnZ2dnUU7-
XnN...@giganews.com:

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on the date
> indicated below, and should be interpreted accordingly. If any
> answers have changed due to newer news, you are still expected to
> give the answers that were correct on that date.

> Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of Bill Psychs and are
> used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
> been retyped and/or edited by me. The posting and tabulation of
> current-events questions is independent of the concurrent posting of
> other rounds. For further information see my 2017-09-25 companion
> posting on "Questions from the Canadian Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 1 (2018-01-15), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 1. On Tuesday, a pub in Kingston announced that it was removing the
> reference to a prominent Canadian from its name because of his
> role in the notorious residential school system? What person
> was this?
>
> 2. Which Royal Family member started nursery school last week at
> Willcocks Nursery School in London?

George

> 3. What female French actor, known for playing a bored housewife
> who spends her afternoons as a prostitute in the 1967 film
> "Belle de Jour", received lots of criticism this week for
> speaking out against the #MeToo movement?

Catherine Deneuve

> 4. This week, President Trump met with the prime minister of
> a European country. He later expressed, quite offensively, a
> desire for more immigrants from that country instead of other,
> less desirable countries. What country's prime minister did
> Trump meet with?

Norway

> 5. Canada's Olympic men's hockey team roster was announced
> on Thursday. Although players currently playing in the NHL
> are unavailable this year, almost all of the team's players
> have NHL experience. Which goalie selected for the team once
> played for the Toronto Maple Leafs?
>
> 6. On Friday it was announced that the Toronto Blue Jays avoided
> arbitration with star player Josh Donaldson and signed him to
> a 1-year contract. In US dollars, how much is the contract
> reportedly worth for the one year, making him the highest-paid
> player on the Blue Jays?

18 million; 19 million

> 7. On Tuesday, the Toronto Star reported that two Toronto City
> Councillors missed roughly half of all recorded city council
> votes in 2017. Name either one.
>
> 8. More sexual misconduct allegations this week -- this time against
> the Golden Globe award-winning actor and director of the movie
> "The Disaster Artist". Name this alleged perpetrator.

Aziz Ansari

> 9. Justin Trudeau is doing a series of town-hall meetings, again,
> to counter bad publicity about his ethics violation. Name one of
> the three cities where Trudeau hosted town halls this past week.

Vancouver

> 10. This week it was revealed that Wikileaks founder Julian Assange
> had been granted citizenship of the country, whose London
> embassy he has been living in for over 5 years. What country?

Ecuador

> * Game 2 (2018-01-22), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 1. The lead singer of the Cranberries died this week. What was
> her name?

O'Riordan

> 2. Jurors have acquitted the three former Montreal, Maine & Atlantic
> Railway (MMA) employees charged with criminal negligence causing
> death in a 2013 derailment and explosion. In which Quebec city
> did this disaster occur?
>
> 3. For the first time, the Canada Olympic Committee has announced
> that Canada will have two flag-bearers for the opening
> ceremonies. Name *both*.
>
> 4. In other Olympic news, it was announced that two countries will
> be sending a joint team to the Olympics. Which two countries?

North Korea and South Korea

> 5. The Bank of Canada raised its key lending rate Wednesday, the
> third time it has moved its benchmark rate from once-record
> lows last summer. What is the new rate, exactly?

2 %; 3 %

> 6. The Canadian Academy of Recording Arts and Sciences (CARAS)
> announced that a new band will be inducted into the Canadian
> Music Hall of Fame at the Junos this year. Over their 30-year
> career, this band has won 8 Juno awards. Who are they?

Coldplay

> 7. This week a major multinational company announced a 20-city
> shortlist for their second headquarters. Toronto was the only
> Canadian city on the list. What company was it?

Amazon

> 8. Premier Wynne shuffled her cabinet last week. Two senior
> officials left the cabinet: the Advanced Education Minister and
> the Treasury Board President. Name *either* one. (Junior
> ministers were promoted to replace them.)
>
> 9. Friday, the Blue Jays traded reliever Dominic Leone and
> minor-league pitcher Conner Greene for a new outfielder. Who?
>
> 10. A top political adviser to former Ontario premier Dalton
> McGuinty was found guilty Friday of criminal charges for wiping
> information from government computers following the controversial
> cancellation of two gas-fired power plants. Name him.

Pete Gayde

Joshua Kreitzer

Jan 23, 2018, 8:17:39 PM1/23/18
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:qtydnTFOIJKjafvHnZ2dnUU7-
XnN...@giganews.com:

> * Game 1 (2018-01-15), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 2. Which Royal Family member started nursery school last week at
> Willcocks Nursery School in London?

Prince George of Cambridge; Princess Charlotte of Cambridge

> 3. What female French actor, known for playing a bored housewife
> who spends her afternoons as a prostitute in the 1967 film
> "Belle de Jour", received lots of criticism this week for
> speaking out against the #MeToo movement?

Catherine Deneuve

> 4. This week, President Trump met with the prime minister of
> a European country. He later expressed, quite offensively, a
> desire for more immigrants from that country instead of other,
> less desirable countries. What country's prime minister did
> Trump meet with?

Norway

> 7. On Tuesday, the Toronto Star reported that two Toronto City
> Councillors missed roughly half of all recorded city council
> votes in 2017. Name either one.

Ford

> 8. More sexual misconduct allegations this week -- this time against
> the Golden Globe award-winning actor and director of the movie
> "The Disaster Artist". Name this alleged perpetrator.

James Franco

> 10. This week it was revealed that Wikileaks founder Julian Assange
> had been granted citizenship of the country, whose London
> embassy he has been living in for over 5 years. What country?

Ecuador

> * Game 2 (2018-01-22), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 1. The lead singer of the Cranberries died this week. What was
> her name?

Dolores O'Riordan

> 4. In other Olympic news, it was announced that two countries will
> be sending a joint team to the Olympics. Which two countries?

South Korea and North Korea

> 7. This week a major multinational company announced a 20-city
> shortlist for their second headquarters. Toronto was the only
> Canadian city on the list. What company was it?

Amazon.com

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

Dan Tilque

Jan 25, 2018, 6:31:21 AM1/25/18
Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 1 (2018-01-15), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 1. On Tuesday, a pub in Kingston announced that it was removing the
> reference to a prominent Canadian from its name because of his
> role in the notorious residential school system? What person
> was this?
>
> 2. Which Royal Family member started nursery school last week at
> Willcocks Nursery School in London?

George

> 3. What female French actor, known for playing a bored housewife
> who spends her afternoons as a prostitute in the 1967 film
> "Belle de Jour", received lots of criticism this week for
> speaking out against the #MeToo movement?
>
> 4. This week, President Trump met with the prime minister of
> a European country. He later expressed, quite offensively, a
> desire for more immigrants from that country instead of other,
> less desirable countries. What country's prime minister did
> Trump meet with?

Norway

> 5. Canada's Olympic men's hockey team roster was announced
> on Thursday. Although players currently playing in the NHL
> are unavailable this year, almost all of the team's players
> have NHL experience. Which goalie selected for the team once
> played for the Toronto Maple Leafs?
>
> 6. On Friday it was announced that the Toronto Blue Jays avoided
> arbitration with star player Josh Donaldson and signed him to
> a 1-year contract. In US dollars, how much is the contract
> reportedly worth for the one year, making him the highest-paid
> player on the Blue Jays?
>
> 7. On Tuesday, the Toronto Star reported that two Toronto City
> Councillors missed roughly half of all recorded city council
> votes in 2017. Name either one.
>
> 8. More sexual misconduct allegations this week -- this time against
> the Golden Globe award-winning actor and director of the movie
> "The Disaster Artist". Name this alleged perpetrator.
>
> 9. Justin Trudeau is doing a series of town-hall meetings, again,
> to counter bad publicity about his ethics violation. Name one of
> the three cities where Trudeau hosted town halls this past week.
>
> 10. This week it was revealed that Wikileaks founder Julian Assange
> had been granted citizenship of the country, whose London
> embassy he has been living in for over 5 years. What country?

Ecuador

> * Game 2 (2018-01-22), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 1. The lead singer of the Cranberries died this week. What was
> her name?
>
> 2. Jurors have acquitted the three former Montreal, Maine & Atlantic
> Railway (MMA) employees charged with criminal negligence causing
> death in a 2013 derailment and explosion. In which Quebec city
> did this disaster occur?

Lac-Megantic

> 3. For the first time, the Canada Olympic Committee has announced
> that Canada will have two flag-bearers for the opening
> ceremonies. Name *both*.
>
> 4. In other Olympic news, it was announced that two countries will
> be sending a joint team to the Olympics. Which two countries?

North and South Korea

> 5. The Bank of Canada raised its key lending rate Wednesday, the
> third time it has moved its benchmark rate from once-record
> lows last summer. What is the new rate, exactly?
>
> 6. The Canadian Academy of Recording Arts and Sciences (CARAS)
> announced that a new band will be inducted into the Canadian
> Music Hall of Fame at the Junos this year. Over their 30-year
> career, this band has won 8 Juno awards. Who are they?
>
> 7. This week a major multinational company announced a 20-city
> shortlist for their second headquarters. Toronto was the only
> Canadian city on the list. What company was it?

Amazon

> 8. Premier Wynne shuffled her cabinet last week. Two senior
> officials left the cabinet: the Advanced Education Minister and
> the Treasury Board President. Name *either* one. (Junior
> ministers were promoted to replace them.)
>
> 9. Friday, the Blue Jays traded reliever Dominic Leone and
> minor-league pitcher Conner Greene for a new outfielder. Who?
>
> 10. A top political adviser to former Ontario premier Dalton
> McGuinty was found guilty Friday of criminal charges for wiping
> information from government computers following the controversial
> cancellation of two gas-fired power plants. Name him.

--
Dan Tilque

Mark Brader

Jan 26, 2018, 2:11:57 AM1/26/18

> * Game 1 (2018-01-15), Round 1 - Current Events

> 1. On Tuesday, a pub in Kingston announced that it was removing the
> reference to a prominent Canadian from its name because of his
> role in the notorious residential school system? What person
> was this?

Sir John A. Macdonald.

> 2. Which Royal Family member started nursery school last week at
> Willcocks Nursery School in London?

Princess Charlotte. 4 for Dan Blum and Peter. 2 for Joshua.

> 3. What female French actor, known for playing a bored housewife
> who spends her afternoons as a prostitute in the 1967 film
> "Belle de Jour", received lots of criticism this week for
> speaking out against the #MeToo movement?

Catherine Deneuve. 4 for Erland, Dan Blum, Marc, Pete, and Joshua.

> 4. This week, President Trump met with the prime minister of
> a European country. He later expressed, quite offensively, a
> desire for more immigrants from that country instead of other,
> less desirable countries. What country's prime minister did
> Trump meet with?

Norway. 4 for Erland, Dan Blum, Marc, Pete, Joshua, and Dan Tilque.

> 5. Canada's Olympic men's hockey team roster was announced
> on Thursday. Although players currently playing in the NHL
> are unavailable this year, almost all of the team's players
> have NHL experience. Which goalie selected for the team once
> played for the Toronto Maple Leafs?

Ben Scrivens.

> 6. On Friday it was announced that the Toronto Blue Jays avoided
> arbitration with star player Josh Donaldson and signed him to
> a 1-year contract. In US dollars, how much is the contract
> reportedly worth for the one year, making him the highest-paid
> player on the Blue Jays?

$23,000,000.

> 7. On Tuesday, the Toronto Star reported that two Toronto City
> Councillors missed roughly half of all recorded city council
> votes in 2017. Name either one.

Michelle Holland, Georgio Mammoliti.

> 8. More sexual misconduct allegations this week -- this time against
> the Golden Globe award-winning actor and director of the movie
> "The Disaster Artist". Name this alleged perpetrator.

James Franco. 4 for Dan Blum and Joshua.

> 9. Justin Trudeau is doing a series of town-hall meetings, again,
> to counter bad publicity about his ethics violation. Name one of
> the three cities where Trudeau hosted town halls this past week.

Halifax, Hamilton, London.

> 10. This week it was revealed that Wikileaks founder Julian Assange
> had been granted citizenship of the country, whose London
> embassy he has been living in for over 5 years. What country?

Ecuador. 4 for everyone -- Erland, Dan Blum, Peter, Marc, Pete,
Joshua, and Dan Tilque.

> * Game 2 (2018-01-22), Round 1 - Current Events

> 1. The lead singer of the Cranberries died this week. What was
> her name?

Dolores O'Riordan. 4 for Dan Blum, Peter, Pete, and Joshua.
3 for Erland.

> 2. Jurors have acquitted the three former Montreal, Maine & Atlantic
> Railway (MMA) employees charged with criminal negligence causing
> death in a 2013 derailment and explosion. In which Quebec city
> did this disaster occur?

Lac-Mégantic. 4 for Peter and Dan Tilque.

> 3. For the first time, the Canada Olympic Committee has announced
> that Canada will have two flag-bearers for the opening
> ceremonies. Name *both*.

Ice-dancing partners Scott Moir and Tessa Virtue.

> 4. In other Olympic news, it was announced that two countries will
> be sending a joint team to the Olympics. Which two countries?

North and South Korea. 4 for Erland, Peter, Pete, Joshua,
and Dan Tilque.

> 5. The Bank of Canada raised its key lending rate Wednesday, the
> third time it has moved its benchmark rate from once-record
> lows last summer. What is the new rate, exactly?

1.25%.

> 6. The Canadian Academy of Recording Arts and Sciences (CARAS)
> announced that a new band will be inducted into the Canadian
> Music Hall of Fame at the Junos this year. Over their 30-year
> career, this band has won 8 Juno awards. Who are they?

Barenaked Ladies.

> 7. This week a major multinational company announced a 20-city
> shortlist for their second headquarters. Toronto was the only
> Canadian city on the list. What company was it?

Amazon. 4 for Dan Blum, Marc, Pete, Joshua, and Dan Tilque.

> 8. Premier Wynne shuffled her cabinet last week. Two senior
> officials left the cabinet: the Advanced Education Minister and
> the Treasury Board President. Name *either* one. (Junior
> ministers were promoted to replace them.)

Deb Matthews, Liz Sandals.

> 9. Friday, the Blue Jays traded reliever Dominic Leone and
> minor-league pitcher Conner Greene for a new outfielder. Who?

Randal Grichuk.

> 10. A top political adviser to former Ontario premier Dalton
> McGuinty was found guilty Friday of criminal charges for wiping
> information from government computers following the controversial
> cancellation of two gas-fired power plants. Name him.

David Livingston.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAMES-> 1 2 TOTALS
Joshua Kreitzer 18 12 30
Dan Blum 20 8 28
Pete Gayde 12 12 24
Dan Tilque 8 12 20
Peter Smyth 8 12 20
Erland Sommarskog 12 7 19
Marc Dashevsky 12 4 16

--
Mark Brader "A healthy nation is as unconscious of its
Toronto nationality as a healthy man of his bones."