QFTCI5GNM Final Round 3: Arts & Literature

Mark Brader

Apr 26, 2011, 12:43:52 AM4/26/11
These questions, were written to be asked in Toronto on 2010-12-13,
and should be interpreted accordingly.

Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
the correct answers in about 3 days. For further information see
my 2010-11-16 companion posting on "Five Guys Named Moe Questions
from the Canadian Inquisition (QFTCI5GNM)".

All questions were written by members of Five Guys Named Moe,
and are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and
may have been retyped and/or edited by me.

** Final, Round 3 - Arts & Literature

* Alliteratively Named Choreographers

In each case, name the alliteratively named choreographer.

1. At 6 feet 6½ inches (1.99 m), this choreographer/director is
unusually tall for a dancer. Over the course of his career,
he has won 9 Tony Awards, including two in 1983, one for
Best Actor in a Musical and one for Best Choreography for
"My One and Only".

2. In a single year he choreographed "42nd Street", "Footlight
Parade", and "Gold Diggers of 1933".

3. He was an American choreographer and activist who is
credited with popularizing modern dance and revolutionizing
African-American participation. His choreographic masterpiece
"Revelations" is believed to be the best known and most
often seen modern dance performance.

* Top 100 Crime and Mystery Novels

In 1990, the British-based Crime Writers' Association (CWA)
published its list of the Top 100 Crime Novels of All Time, and
in 1995 the US-based Mystery Writers of America (MWA) followed
suit with its Top 100 Mystery Novels of All Time. We'll give
you the title and date of a novel, and its rank on both lists;
you name the author.

4. "The Daughter of Time" (1951): CWA #1, MWA #4.

5. "The Postman Always Rings Twice" (1934): CWA #30, MWA #14.

6. "The Mask of Dimitrios" (1939), also known as "A Coffin for
Dimitrios": CWA #24, MWA #17.

* Plagiarism Controversies

7. In 1892, this author was accused of plagiarizing Margaret
T. Canby's story "The Frost Fairies" in her short story "The
Frost King". The author was brought before a tribunal of
the Perkins Institute for the Blind, where she was acquitted
by a single vote. Name her.

8. In 1978, this author was sued for plagiarism by Harold
Courlander, author of the novel "The African". The author
reportedly paid Mr. Courlander $650,000 in an out-of-court
settlement. Name the author, or his novel that contained
the allegedly plagiarized material.

9. This American politician was forced to withdraw from the 1988
Democratic US Presidential Nominations when it was alleged
that he had failed a 1965 introductory law school course on
legal methodology due to plagiarism. This did not impact
too much on his long-term political career however, as he
was elected 4 more times to the Senate before having to
resign his seat to fill his current role. Name him.

* 20th Century Painters

In each case, name the painter.

10. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/fi.03/art/10.jpg
11. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/fi.03/art/11.jpg
12. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/fi.03/art/12.jpg

* Banned Books

13. Written between 1958 and 1968, the 3-volume work "The Gulag
Archipelago", a nonfiction account of Soviet forced-labor
camps, was banned by the Soviet Union, but in 2009 it was
added to the Russian high school curriculum. Name the author.

14. The 1981 novel "July's People" was banned in apartheid-era
South Africa but is now part of the school curriculum.
Name the Nobel-laureate author.

15. The 1959 novel "Naked Lunch" was banned by Boston courts
in 1962 for obscenity, a ruling that was reversed in 1966.
Name the author.

--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "We are informed many things,
m...@vex.net | some of them correct." --Greg Goss

Joshua Kreitzer

Apr 26, 2011, 1:12:15 AM4/26/11
On Apr 25, 11:43 pm, m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote:

> ** Final, Round 3 - Arts & Literature
>
> * Alliteratively Named Choreographers
>
> In each case, name the alliteratively named choreographer.
>
> 1. At 6 feet 6½ inches (1.99 m), this choreographer/director is
>    unusually tall for a dancer.  Over the course of his career,
>    he has won 9 Tony Awards, including two in 1983, one for
>    Best Actor in a Musical and one for Best Choreography for
>    "My One and Only".

Tommy Tune

> 2. In a single year he choreographed "42nd Street", "Footlight
>    Parade", and "Gold Diggers of 1933".

Busby Berkeley

> 3. He was an American choreographer and activist who is
>    credited with popularizing modern dance and revolutionizing
>    African-American participation.  His choreographic masterpiece
>    "Revelations" is believed to be the best known and most
>    often seen modern dance performance.

Alvin Ailey

> * Top 100 Crime and Mystery Novels
>

>  We'll give
> you the title and date of a novel, and its rank on both lists;
> you name the author.
>

> 5. "The Postman Always Rings Twice" (1934): CWA #30, MWA #14.

James M. Cain

> * Plagiarism Controversies

> 8. In 1978, this author was sued for plagiarism by Harold
>    Courlander, author of the novel "The African".  The author
>    reportedly paid Mr. Courlander $650,000 in an out-of-court
>    settlement.  Name the author, or his novel that contained
>    the allegedly plagiarized material.

Alex Haley; "Roots"

> 9. This American politician was forced to withdraw from the 1988
>    Democratic US Presidential Nominations when it was alleged
>    that he had failed a 1965 introductory law school course on
>    legal methodology due to plagiarism.  This did not impact
>    too much on his long-term political career however, as he
>    was elected 4 more times to the Senate before having to
>    resign his seat to fill his current role.  Name him.

Joe Biden

> * 20th Century Painters
>
> In each case, name the painter.
>
> 10.http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/fi.03/art/10.jpg

Mondrian

> 11.http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/fi.03/art/11.jpg

Picasso

> 12.http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/fi.03/art/12.jpg

Picasso

> * Banned Books
>
> 13. Written between 1958 and 1968, the 3-volume work "The Gulag
>    Archipelago", a nonfiction account of Soviet forced-labor
>    camps, was banned by the Soviet Union, but in 2009 it was
>    added to the Russian high school curriculum.  Name the author.

Solzhenitsyn

> 14. The 1981 novel "July's People" was banned in apartheid-era
>    South Africa but is now part of the school curriculum.
>    Name the Nobel-laureate author.

Gordimer

> 15. The 1959 novel "Naked Lunch" was banned by Boston courts
>    in 1962 for obscenity, a ruling that was reversed in 1966.
>    Name the author.

Burroughs

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

Dan Tilque

Apr 26, 2011, 4:08:35 AM4/26/11

Roots

> 9. This American politician was forced to withdraw from the 1988
> Democratic US Presidential Nominations when it was alleged
> that he had failed a 1965 introductory law school course on
> legal methodology due to plagiarism. This did not impact
> too much on his long-term political career however, as he
> was elected 4 more times to the Senate before having to
> resign his seat to fill his current role. Name him.

Joe Biden

Grandma Moses

> * Banned Books
>
> 13. Written between 1958 and 1968, the 3-volume work "The Gulag
> Archipelago", a nonfiction account of Soviet forced-labor
> camps, was banned by the Soviet Union, but in 2009 it was
> added to the Russian high school curriculum. Name the author.

Solzenitzen

> 14. The 1981 novel "July's People" was banned in apartheid-era
> South Africa but is now part of the school curriculum.
> Name the Nobel-laureate author.
>
> 15. The 1959 novel "Naked Lunch" was banned by Boston courts
> in 1962 for obscenity, a ruling that was reversed in 1966.
> Name the author.

Truman Capote

--
Dan Tilque

Dan Blum

Apr 26, 2011, 1:27:23 PM4/26/11
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> ** Final, Round 3 - Arts & Literature

> * Alliteratively Named Choreographers

> 3. He was an American choreographer and activist who is

> credited with popularizing modern dance and revolutionizing
> African-American participation. His choreographic masterpiece
> "Revelations" is believed to be the best known and most
> often seen modern dance performance.

Alvin Ailey

> * Top 100 Crime and Mystery Novels

> 4. "The Daughter of Time" (1951): CWA #1, MWA #4.

Josephine Tey

> 5. "The Postman Always Rings Twice" (1934): CWA #30, MWA #14.

James Cain

> 6. "The Mask of Dimitrios" (1939), also known as "A Coffin for
> Dimitrios": CWA #24, MWA #17.

Carr

> * Plagiarism Controversies

> 7. In 1892, this author was accused of plagiarizing Margaret
> T. Canby's story "The Frost Fairies" in her short story "The
> Frost King". The author was brought before a tribunal of
> the Perkins Institute for the Blind, where she was acquitted
> by a single vote. Name her.

Helen Keller

> 8. In 1978, this author was sued for plagiarism by Harold
> Courlander, author of the novel "The African". The author
> reportedly paid Mr. Courlander $650,000 in an out-of-court
> settlement. Name the author, or his novel that contained
> the allegedly plagiarized material.

Alex Haley

> 9. This American politician was forced to withdraw from the 1988
> Democratic US Presidential Nominations when it was alleged
> that he had failed a 1965 introductory law school course on
> legal methodology due to plagiarism. This did not impact
> too much on his long-term political career however, as he
> was elected 4 more times to the Senate before having to
> resign his seat to fill his current role. Name him.

Joe Biden

> * 20th Century Painters

> 10. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/fi.03/art/10.jpg

Mondrian

> 11. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/fi.03/art/11.jpg

Picasso

> 12. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/fi.03/art/12.jpg

Marc

> * Banned Books

> 13. Written between 1958 and 1968, the 3-volume work "The Gulag
> Archipelago", a nonfiction account of Soviet forced-labor
> camps, was banned by the Soviet Union, but in 2009 it was
> added to the Russian high school curriculum. Name the author.

Solzhenitsyn

> 15. The 1959 novel "Naked Lunch" was banned by Boston courts
> in 1962 for obscenity, a ruling that was reversed in 1966.
> Name the author.

William S. Burroughs; Henry Miller

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

swp

Apr 26, 2011, 2:25:07 PM4/26/11
On Apr 26, 12:43 am, m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote:
> ** Final, Round 3 - Arts & Literature
>
> * Alliteratively Named Choreographers
>
> In each case, name the alliteratively named choreographer.
>
> 1. At 6 feet 6½ inches (1.99 m), this choreographer/director is
>    unusually tall for a dancer.  Over the course of his career,
>    he has won 9 Tony Awards, including two in 1983, one for
>    Best Actor in a Musical and one for Best Choreography for
>    "My One and Only".

tommy tune

> 2. In a single year he choreographed "42nd Street", "Footlight
>    Parade", and "Gold Diggers of 1933".

no idea

> 3. He was an American choreographer and activist who is
>    credited with popularizing modern dance and revolutionizing
>    African-American participation.  His choreographic masterpiece
>    "Revelations" is believed to be the best known and most
>    often seen modern dance performance.

alvin ailey

> * Top 100 Crime and Mystery Novels
>
> In 1990, the British-based Crime Writers' Association (CWA)
> published its list of the Top 100 Crime Novels of All Time, and
> in 1995 the US-based Mystery Writers of America (MWA) followed
> suit with its Top 100 Mystery Novels of All Time.  We'll give
> you the title and date of a novel, and its rank on both lists;
> you name the author.
>
> 4. "The Daughter of Time" (1951): CWA #1, MWA #4.

josephine tey

> 5. "The Postman Always Rings Twice" (1934): CWA #30, MWA #14.

james cain

> 6. "The Mask of Dimitrios" (1939), also known as "A Coffin for
>    Dimitrios": CWA #24, MWA #17.

eric ambler

... and they are all worth reading!

> * Plagiarism Controversies
>
> 7. In 1892, this author was accused of plagiarizing Margaret
>    T. Canby's story "The Frost Fairies" in her short story "The
>    Frost King".  The author was brought before a tribunal of
>    the Perkins Institute for the Blind, where she was acquitted
>    by a single vote.  Name her.

helen keller (I had no idea until you mentioned the perkins institute
for the blind)

> 8. In 1978, this author was sued for plagiarism by Harold
>    Courlander, author of the novel "The African".  The author
>    reportedly paid Mr. Courlander $650,000 in an out-of-court
>    settlement.  Name the author, or his novel that contained
>    the allegedly plagiarized material.

alex haley ; roots

> 9. This American politician was forced to withdraw from the 1988
>    Democratic US Presidential Nominations when it was alleged
>    that he had failed a 1965 introductory law school course on
>    legal methodology due to plagiarism.  This did not impact
>    too much on his long-term political career however, as he
>    was elected 4 more times to the Senate before having to
>    resign his seat to fill his current role.  Name him.

joe biden

> * 20th Century Painters
>
> In each case, name the painter.
>
> 10. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/fi.03/art/10.jpg

pablo picasso

> 11. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/fi.03/art/11.jpg

pablo picasso

> 12. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/fi.03/art/12.jpg

pablo picasso

> * Banned Books
>
> 13. Written between 1958 and 1968, the 3-volume work "The Gulag
>    Archipelago", a nonfiction account of Soviet forced-labor
>    camps, was banned by the Soviet Union, but in 2009 it was
>    added to the Russian high school curriculum.  Name the author.

aleksandr solzhenitsyn

> 14. The 1981 novel "July's People" was banned in apartheid-era
>    South Africa but is now part of the school curriculum.
>    Name the Nobel-laureate author.

nelson mandela

> 15. The 1959 novel "Naked Lunch" was banned by Boston courts
>    in 1962 for obscenity, a ruling that was reversed in 1966.
>    Name the author.

bill s burroughs

swp

Erland Sommarskog

Apr 26, 2011, 4:13:09 PM4/26/11
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> 5. "The Postman Always Rings Twice" (1934): CWA #30, MWA #14.

Dorothy Sayters

> 9. This American politician was forced to withdraw from the 1988
> Democratic US Presidential Nominations when it was alleged
> that he had failed a 1965 introductory law school course on
> legal methodology due to plagiarism. This did not impact
> too much on his long-term political career however, as he
> was elected 4 more times to the Senate before having to
> resign his seat to fill his current role. Name him.

Joe Biden

> 10. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/fi.03/art/10.jpg

Kandinsky

> 12. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/fi.03/art/12.jpg

Gauguin

> 13. Written between 1958 and 1968, the 3-volume work "The Gulag
> Archipelago", a nonfiction account of Soviet forced-labor
> camps, was banned by the Soviet Union, but in 2009 it was
> added to the Russian high school curriculum. Name the author.

Alexander Soljzhenitsyn

> 14. The 1981 novel "July's People" was banned in apartheid-era
> South Africa but is now part of the school curriculum.
> Name the Nobel-laureate author.

Doris Lessing

> 15. The 1959 novel "Naked Lunch" was banned by Boston courts
> in 1962 for obscenity, a ruling that was reversed in 1966.
> Name the author.

Donald Fagen and Walter Becker. No it wasn't, but there is a connection!

Peter Smyth

Apr 26, 2011, 4:59:05 PM4/26/11

"Mark Brader" <m...@vex.net> wrote in message

> ** Final, Round 3 - Arts & Literature
>
> * Alliteratively Named Choreographers
>
> In each case, name the alliteratively named choreographer.
>
> 1. At 6 feet 6½ inches (1.99 m), this choreographer/director is
> unusually tall for a dancer. Over the course of his career,
> he has won 9 Tony Awards, including two in 1983, one for
> Best Actor in a Musical and one for Best Choreography for
> "My One and Only".
>
> 2. In a single year he choreographed "42nd Street", "Footlight
> Parade", and "Gold Diggers of 1933".
>
> 3. He was an American choreographer and activist who is
> credited with popularizing modern dance and revolutionizing
> African-American participation. His choreographic masterpiece
> "Revelations" is believed to be the best known and most
> often seen modern dance performance.
>

> * Top 100 Crime and Mystery Novels
>
> In 1990, the British-based Crime Writers' Association (CWA)
> published its list of the Top 100 Crime Novels of All Time, and
> in 1995 the US-based Mystery Writers of America (MWA) followed
> suit with its Top 100 Mystery Novels of All Time. We'll give
> you the title and date of a novel, and its rank on both lists;
> you name the author.
>
> 4. "The Daughter of Time" (1951): CWA #1, MWA #4.

Agatha Christie

> 5. "The Postman Always Rings Twice" (1934): CWA #30, MWA #14.

Agatha Christie

> 6. "The Mask of Dimitrios" (1939), also known as "A Coffin for
> Dimitrios": CWA #24, MWA #17.

Agatha Christie

> * Plagiarism Controversies
>
> 7. In 1892, this author was accused of plagiarizing Margaret
> T. Canby's story "The Frost Fairies" in her short story "The
> Frost King". The author was brought before a tribunal of
> the Perkins Institute for the Blind, where she was acquitted
> by a single vote. Name her.

Helen Keller

> 8. In 1978, this author was sued for plagiarism by Harold
> Courlander, author of the novel "The African". The author
> reportedly paid Mr. Courlander $650,000 in an out-of-court
> settlement. Name the author, or his novel that contained
> the allegedly plagiarized material.
>
> 9. This American politician was forced to withdraw from the 1988
> Democratic US Presidential Nominations when it was alleged
> that he had failed a 1965 introductory law school course on
> legal methodology due to plagiarism. This did not impact
> too much on his long-term political career however, as he
> was elected 4 more times to the Senate before having to
> resign his seat to fill his current role. Name him.

Joe Biden

> * 20th Century Painters
>
> In each case, name the painter.
>
> 10. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/fi.03/art/10.jpg

Picasso

Picasso

> * Banned Books
>
> 13. Written between 1958 and 1968, the 3-volume work "The Gulag
> Archipelago", a nonfiction account of Soviet forced-labor
> camps, was banned by the Soviet Union, but in 2009 it was
> added to the Russian high school curriculum. Name the author.
>
> 14. The 1981 novel "July's People" was banned in apartheid-era
> South Africa but is now part of the school curriculum.
> Name the Nobel-laureate author.
>
> 15. The 1959 novel "Naked Lunch" was banned by Boston courts
> in 1962 for obscenity, a ruling that was reversed in 1966.
> Name the author.

Peter Smyth

Calvin

Apr 26, 2011, 8:08:46 PM4/26/11
On Tue, 26 Apr 2011 14:43:52 +1000, Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> ** Final, Round 3 - Arts & Literature

Well these aren't getting any easier.

> * 20th Century Painters
>
> In each case, name the painter.
>
> 10. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/fi.03/art/10.jpg

I should know this dammit.

Matisse

> * Banned Books

> 14. The 1981 novel "July's People" was banned in apartheid-era
> South Africa but is now part of the school curriculum.
> Name the Nobel-laureate author.

Biko?

--

cheers,
calvin

Pete

Apr 27, 2011, 12:16:28 AM4/27/11
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in

> These questions, were written to be asked in Toronto on 2010-12-13,

> Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days. For further information see
> my 2010-11-16 companion posting on "Five Guys Named Moe Questions
> from the Canadian Inquisition (QFTCI5GNM)".
>
> All questions were written by members of Five Guys Named Moe,
> and are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and
> may have been retyped and/or edited by me.
>

> ** Final, Round 3 - Arts & Literature
>
> * Alliteratively Named Choreographers
>
> In each case, name the alliteratively named choreographer.
>
> 1. At 6 feet 6½ inches (1.99 m), this choreographer/director is
> unusually tall for a dancer. Over the course of his career,
> he has won 9 Tony Awards, including two in 1983, one for
> Best Actor in a Musical and one for Best Choreography for
> "My One and Only".

Tune

> 2. In a single year he choreographed "42nd Street", "Footlight
> Parade", and "Gold Diggers of 1933".

Berkeley

> 3. He was an American choreographer and activist who is
> credited with popularizing modern dance and revolutionizing
> African-American participation. His choreographic masterpiece
> "Revelations" is believed to be the best known and most
> often seen modern dance performance.

Ailey

> * Top 100 Crime and Mystery Novels
>
> In 1990, the British-based Crime Writers' Association (CWA)
> published its list of the Top 100 Crime Novels of All Time, and
> in 1995 the US-based Mystery Writers of America (MWA) followed
> suit with its Top 100 Mystery Novels of All Time. We'll give
> you the title and date of a novel, and its rank on both lists;
> you name the author.
>
> 4. "The Daughter of Time" (1951): CWA #1, MWA #4.
>
> 5. "The Postman Always Rings Twice" (1934): CWA #30, MWA #14.
>
> 6. "The Mask of Dimitrios" (1939), also known as "A Coffin for
> Dimitrios": CWA #24, MWA #17.
>

> * Plagiarism Controversies
>
> 7. In 1892, this author was accused of plagiarizing Margaret
> T. Canby's story "The Frost Fairies" in her short story "The
> Frost King". The author was brought before a tribunal of
> the Perkins Institute for the Blind, where she was acquitted
> by a single vote. Name her.
>
> 8. In 1978, this author was sued for plagiarism by Harold
> Courlander, author of the novel "The African". The author
> reportedly paid Mr. Courlander $650,000 in an out-of-court
> settlement. Name the author, or his novel that contained
> the allegedly plagiarized material.

Haley

> 9. This American politician was forced to withdraw from the 1988
> Democratic US Presidential Nominations when it was alleged
> that he had failed a 1965 introductory law school course on
> legal methodology due to plagiarism. This did not impact
> too much on his long-term political career however, as he
> was elected 4 more times to the Senate before having to
> resign his seat to fill his current role. Name him.

Biden

> * 20th Century Painters
>
> In each case, name the painter.
>
> 10. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/fi.03/art/10.jpg

Kandinsky

> 11. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/fi.03/art/11.jpg

Picasso

> 12. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/fi.03/art/12.jpg

Gauguin

> * Banned Books
>
> 13. Written between 1958 and 1968, the 3-volume work "The Gulag
> Archipelago", a nonfiction account of Soviet forced-labor
> camps, was banned by the Soviet Union, but in 2009 it was
> added to the Russian high school curriculum. Name the author.

Solzhenitsyn

> 14. The 1981 novel "July's People" was banned in apartheid-era
> South Africa but is now part of the school curriculum.
> Name the Nobel-laureate author.

Mandela

> 15. The 1959 novel "Naked Lunch" was banned by Boston courts
> in 1962 for obscenity, a ruling that was reversed in 1966.
> Name the author.

Pete

Marc Dashevsky

Apr 27, 2011, 12:21:34 AM4/27/11
In article <PPudndNAzfQV0CvQ...@vex.net>, m...@vex.net says...

> ** Final, Round 3 - Arts & Literature
>
> * Alliteratively Named Choreographers
>
> In each case, name the alliteratively named choreographer.
>
> 1. At 6 feet 6=3F inches (1.99 m), this choreographer/director is

> unusually tall for a dancer. Over the course of his career,
> he has won 9 Tony Awards, including two in 1983, one for
> Best Actor in a Musical and one for Best Choreography for
> "My One and Only".
>
> 2. In a single year he choreographed "42nd Street", "Footlight
> Parade", and "Gold Diggers of 1933".
Busbee Berkeley

> 3. He was an American choreographer and activist who is
> credited with popularizing modern dance and revolutionizing
> African-American participation. His choreographic masterpiece
> "Revelations" is believed to be the best known and most
> often seen modern dance performance.

Alvin Ailey

> * Top 100 Crime and Mystery Novels
>
> In 1990, the British-based Crime Writers' Association (CWA)
> published its list of the Top 100 Crime Novels of All Time, and
> in 1995 the US-based Mystery Writers of America (MWA) followed
> suit with its Top 100 Mystery Novels of All Time. We'll give
> you the title and date of a novel, and its rank on both lists;
> you name the author.
>
> 4. "The Daughter of Time" (1951): CWA #1, MWA #4.
>
> 5. "The Postman Always Rings Twice" (1934): CWA #30, MWA #14.
>
> 6. "The Mask of Dimitrios" (1939), also known as "A Coffin for
> Dimitrios": CWA #24, MWA #17.
>

> * Plagiarism Controversies
>
> 7. In 1892, this author was accused of plagiarizing Margaret
> T. Canby's story "The Frost Fairies" in her short story "The
> Frost King". The author was brought before a tribunal of
> the Perkins Institute for the Blind, where she was acquitted
> by a single vote. Name her.

Helen Keller (it must be)

> 8. In 1978, this author was sued for plagiarism by Harold
> Courlander, author of the novel "The African". The author
> reportedly paid Mr. Courlander $650,000 in an out-of-court
> settlement. Name the author, or his novel that contained
> the allegedly plagiarized material.

Alex Haley

> 9. This American politician was forced to withdraw from the 1988
> Democratic US Presidential Nominations when it was alleged
> that he had failed a 1965 introductory law school course on
> legal methodology due to plagiarism. This did not impact
> too much on his long-term political career however, as he
> was elected 4 more times to the Senate before having to
> resign his seat to fill his current role. Name him.

Joe Biden

Usually I surprise myself about how many of the artworks I can identify.

> * Banned Books
>
> 13. Written between 1958 and 1968, the 3-volume work "The Gulag
> Archipelago", a nonfiction account of Soviet forced-labor
> camps, was banned by the Soviet Union, but in 2009 it was
> added to the Russian high school curriculum. Name the author.

Solzhenitsyn

> 14. The 1981 novel "July's People" was banned in apartheid-era
> South Africa but is now part of the school curriculum.
> Name the Nobel-laureate author.
>
> 15. The 1959 novel "Naked Lunch" was banned by Boston courts
> in 1962 for obscenity, a ruling that was reversed in 1966.
> Name the author.

William Burroughs

--
Go to http://MarcDashevsky.com to send me e-mail.

robpparker SPAM @foroptusnet.com.aume Rob Parker

Apr 27, 2011, 5:54:37 PM4/27/11
> ** Final, Round 3 - Arts & Literature
>
> 4. "The Daughter of Time" (1951): CWA #1, MWA #4.

P.D. James (?)

> 5. "The Postman Always Rings Twice" (1934): CWA #30, MWA #14.

Dorothy Sayers

> 10. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/fi.03/art/10.jpg

Kandinski

> 13. Written between 1958 and 1968, the 3-volume work "The Gulag
> Archipelago", a nonfiction account of Soviet forced-labor
> camps, was banned by the Soviet Union, but in 2009 it was
> added to the Russian high school curriculum. Name the author.

Solzenitzhen (almost certainly spelt incorrectly)

> 15. The 1959 novel "Naked Lunch" was banned by Boston courts
> in 1962 for obscenity, a ruling that was reversed in 1966.
> Name the author.

Edgar Rice Burroughs

Rob

Marc Dashevsky

Apr 27, 2011, 7:43:07 PM4/27/11
In article <4db890bf$0$2446$afc3...@news.optusnet.com.au>, "Rob Parker" <NO robpparker SPAM @ FOR optusnet.com.au ME>
says...

> > 15. The 1959 novel "Naked Lunch" was banned by Boston courts
> > in 1962 for obscenity, a ruling that was reversed in 1966.
> > Name the author.
>
> Edgar Rice Burroughs

If you had only left off the first and middle names!

Rob Parker

Apr 28, 2011, 2:45:10 AM4/28/11
Damn!!!

"Marc Dashevsky" <use...@MarcDashevsky.com> wrote in message

Marc Dashevsky

Apr 28, 2011, 7:57:31 AM4/28/11
In article <4db90cf9$0$2445$afc3...@news.optusnet.com.au>, NOSPAMro...@optusnet.com.au.FORME says...

> Damn!!!
>
> "Marc Dashevsky" <use...@MarcDashevsky.com> wrote in message
> > In article <4db890bf$0$2446$afc3...@news.optusnet.com.au>, "Rob Parker"
> > <NO robpparker SPAM @ FOR optusnet.com.au ME>
> > says...
> >>
> >> Edgar Rice Burroughs
> >
> > If you had only left off the first and middle names!

You must have been thinking of "Naked Tarzan."

Dan Blum

Apr 28, 2011, 12:47:39 PM4/28/11

Or something.

Philip Jose Farmer wtote a story ("The Jungle Rot Kid On The Nod") which was
his idea of Tarzan as written by William Burroughs.

Mark Brader

Apr 29, 2011, 3:11:43 AM4/29/11
As I said, this will be the last QFTCI posting until I come back from
vacation around Victoria Day. So you have that long to bone up on the
remaining subject areas. :-)

Mark Brader:

> These questions, were written to be asked in Toronto on 2010-12-13,

> see my 2010-11-16 companion posting on "Five Guys Named Moe
> Questions from the Canadian Inquisition (QFTCI5GNM)".

> ** Final, Round 3 - Arts & Literature

> * Alliteratively Named Choreographers

> In each case, name the alliteratively named choreographer.

> 1. At 6 feet 6½ inches (1.99 m), this choreographer/director is
> unusually tall for a dancer. Over the course of his career,
> he has won 9 Tony Awards, including two in 1983, one for
> Best Actor in a Musical and one for Best Choreography for
> "My One and Only".

Tommy Tune. 4 for Joshua, Stephen, and Pete.

> 2. In a single year he choreographed "42nd Street", "Footlight
> Parade", and "Gold Diggers of 1933".

Busby Berkeley. 4 for Joshua, Pete, and Marc.

> 3. He was an American choreographer and activist who is
> credited with popularizing modern dance and revolutionizing
> African-American participation. His choreographic masterpiece
> "Revelations" is believed to be the best known and most
> often seen modern dance performance.

Alvin Ailey. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, Stephen, Pete, and Marc.

> * Top 100 Crime and Mystery Novels

> In 1990, the British-based Crime Writers' Association (CWA)
> published its list of the Top 100 Crime Novels of All Time, and
> in 1995 the US-based Mystery Writers of America (MWA) followed
> suit with its Top 100 Mystery Novels of All Time. We'll give
> you the title and date of a novel, and its rank on both lists;
> you name the author.

> 4. "The Daughter of Time" (1951): CWA #1, MWA #4.

Josephine Tey. 4 for Dan Blum and Stephen.

> 5. "The Postman Always Rings Twice" (1934): CWA #30, MWA #14.

James M. Cain. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, and Stephen.

> 6. "The Mask of Dimitrios" (1939), also known as "A Coffin for
> Dimitrios": CWA #24, MWA #17.

Eric Ambler. 4 for Stephen.

> * Plagiarism Controversies

> 7. In 1892, this author was accused of plagiarizing Margaret
> T. Canby's story "The Frost Fairies" in her short story "The
> Frost King". The author was brought before a tribunal of
> the Perkins Institute for the Blind, where she was acquitted
> by a single vote. Name her.

Helen Keller. 4 for Dan Blum, Stephen, Peter, and Marc.

> 8. In 1978, this author was sued for plagiarism by Harold
> Courlander, author of the novel "The African". The author
> reportedly paid Mr. Courlander $650,000 in an out-of-court
> settlement. Name the author, or his novel that contained
> the allegedly plagiarized material.

Alex Haley, "Roots: The Saga of an American Family". 4 for Joshua,
Dan Tilque, Dan Blum, Stephen, Pete, and Marc.

> 9. This American politician was forced to withdraw from the 1988
> Democratic US Presidential Nominations when it was alleged
> that he had failed a 1965 introductory law school course on
> legal methodology due to plagiarism. This did not impact
> too much on his long-term political career however, as he
> was elected 4 more times to the Senate before having to
> resign his seat to fill his current role. Name him.

Joe Biden. 4 for Joshua, Dan Tilque, Dan Blum, Stephen, Erland,
Peter, Pete, and Marc.

> * 20th Century Painters

> In each case, name the painter.

> 10. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/fi.03/art/10.jpg

Ben Nicholson. Yeah, I thought it was Mondrian too.

> 11. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/fi.03/art/11.jpg

Paul Klee.

> 12. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/fi.03/art/12.jpg

Henri Matisse. 4 for Calvin.

> * Banned Books

> 13. Written between 1958 and 1968, the 3-volume work "The Gulag
> Archipelago", a nonfiction account of Soviet forced-labor
> camps, was banned by the Soviet Union, but in 2009 it was
> added to the Russian high school curriculum. Name the author.

Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn. 4 for Joshua, Dan Tilque, Dan Blum, Stephen,
Erland, Pete, Marc, and Rob.

> 14. The 1981 novel "July's People" was banned in apartheid-era
> South Africa but is now part of the school curriculum.
> Name the Nobel-laureate author.

Nadine Gordimer. 4 for Joshua.

> 15. The 1959 novel "Naked Lunch" was banned by Boston courts
> in 1962 for obscenity, a ruling that was reversed in 1966.
> Name the author.

William S. Burroughs. 4 for Joshua, Stephen, and Marc. 3 for
Dan Blum.

Scores, if there are no errors:

ROUND-> 2 3 TOTALS
TOPIC-> Sci Lit
Stephen Perry 38 40 78
Marc Dashevsky 44 28 72
Joshua Kreitzer 26 36 62
Dan Tilque 36 12 48
Pete Gayde 17 24 41
Rob Parker 35 4 39
Dan Blum -- 31 31
Peter Smyth 21 8 29
"Calvin" 10 4 14
Erland Sommarskog 4 8 12

--
Mark Brader | "I had never thought of Jesus as being
m...@vex.net | a variety of grape plant, but

Erland Sommarskog

Apr 29, 2011, 5:35:33 PM4/29/11
Erland Sommarskog (esq...@sommarskog.se) writes:
>> 15. The 1959 novel "Naked Lunch" was banned by Boston courts
>> in 1962 for obscenity, a ruling that was reversed in 1966.
>> Name the author.
>
> Donald Fagen and Walter Becker. No it wasn't, but there is a connection!

Steely Dan is reportedly a device that figures in the book.