QFTCI16 Game 2, Rounds 4,6: flags, Shakesbarbs

已查看 11 次
跳至第一个未读帖子

Mark Brader

未读,
2016年6月28日 04:14:282016/6/28
收件人
These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2016-05-30,
and should be interpreted accordingly.

Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

All questions were written by members of the Usual Suspects and
are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
see my 2016-05-31 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

I wrote one of these rounds.

* Game 2, Round 4 - Geography - Flags

Simple round: we name the country and you give us the flag number
on the handout:

http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/2-4/flags.png

1. South Africa.
2. Nepal.
3. Turkey.
4. Israel.
5. Brazil.
6. Vatican City.
7. Czech Republic.
8. Switzerland.
9. Japan.
10. Jamaica.

So there were 14 decoys, some of them a bit harder than others.
If you like, decode the rot13 to see the remaining country names
and identify those flags for fun, but for no points. Only one
guess for each, please.

11. Oneonqbf.
12. Punq.
13. Onuenva.
14. Senapr.
15. Verynaq.
16. Avtrevn.
17. Orytvhz.
18. Vgnyl.
19. Gunvynaq.
20. Ebznavn.
21. Trbetvn (gur pbhagel).
22. Puvyr.
23. Znprqbavn.
24. Pnanqn.

* Game 2, Round 6 - Literature - Barbs from the Bard

We all know how great William Shakespeare was as a playwright.
Here are some of his barbed put-downs, acerbic ripostes, and
colorful curses. In most cases, you simply have to name the play
where they appear. For some questions, there is an additional hint.
But wait: there's more! We're also providing a handout that lists
about half of Shakespeare's plays, and all the answers will be
found on it. Look, here it is:

| All's Well That Ends Well | Macbeth
| Antony and Cleopatra | Merchant of Venice
| The Comedy of Errors | Much Ado About Nothing
| Hamlet | Othello
| Henry IV, Part II | Richard III
| Henry V | The Taming of the Shrew
| Julius Caesar | The Tempest
| King Lear | Titus Andronicus
| Love's Labour's Lost | Twelfth Night

1. This line is spoken on a ship at sea: "A pox o'your throat,
you bawling, blasphemous, incharitable dog."

2. Diana is the target of this dismissive comment: "This woman's
an easy glove, my lord, she goes off and on at pleasure".

3. "Frailty, thy name is woman!"

4. "Nothing in his life became him like the leaving of it."

5. "How tartly that gentleman looks! I never can see him but I am
heart-burned an hour after."

6. This line is spoken in an orchard: "Where wilt thou find a
cavern dark enough to mask thy monstrous visage?"

7. This was not the only slander the speaker leveled at the woman
in question: "You rise to play, and go to bed to work."

8. This remark is aimed at a close relative of the speaker: Thou art
a boil, a plague-sore, or embossed carbuncle in my corrupted
blood."

9. For this question, you can name either the play or the character
speaking. "Away, you scullion! You rampallion! You fustilarian!
I'll tickle your catastrophe."

10. A woman is described as: "No longer from head to foot than
from hip to hip; she is spherical, like a globe; I could find
out countries in her."

--
Mark Brader, Toronto | I still remember the first time his reality check
m...@vex.net | bounced. -- Darlene Richards

bbowler

未读,
2016年6月28日 10:24:102016/6/28
收件人
On Tue, 28 Jun 2016 03:14:24 -0500, Mark Brader wrote:

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2016-05-30, and
> should be interpreted accordingly.
>
> On each question you may give up to two answers, but if you give both a
> right answer and a wrong answer, there is a small penalty. Please post
> all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup, based only on
> your own knowledge. (In your answer posting, quote the questions and
> place your answer below each one.) I will reveal the correct answers in
> about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of the Usual Suspects and are used
> here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have been retyped
> and/or edited by me. For further information see my 2016-05-31
> companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>
> I wrote one of these rounds.
>

> * Game 2, Round 4 - Geography - Flags
>
> Simple round: we name the country and you give us the flag number on the
> handout:
>
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/2-4/flags.png
>
> 1. South Africa.

13

> 2. Nepal.

11

> 3. Turkey.

21

> 4. Israel.

22

> 5. Brazil.

17

> 6. Vatican City.

20

> 7. Czech Republic.

14

> 8. Switzerland.

24

> 9. Japan.

18

> 10. Jamaica.
>

> So there were 14 decoys, some of them a bit harder than others.
> If you like, decode the rot13 to see the remaining country names and
> identify those flags for fun, but for no points. Only one guess for
> each, please.
>
> 11. Barbados.

19

8

> * Game 2, Round 6 - Literature - Barbs from the Bard

Nope...

Pete

未读,
2016年6月28日 13:43:082016/6/28
收件人
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:56udnVE9m9Z9rO_KnZ2dnUU7-
UfN...@giganews.com:

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2016-05-30,

> Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of the Usual Suspects and
> are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
> have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
> see my 2016-05-31 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>
> I wrote one of these rounds.
>

> * Game 2, Round 4 - Geography - Flags
>
> Simple round: we name the country and you give us the flag number
> on the handout:
>
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/2-4/flags.png
>
> 1. South Africa.

13

> 2. Nepal.

11

> 3. Turkey.

21

> 4. Israel.

22

> 5. Brazil.

17

> 6. Vatican City.

20

> 7. Czech Republic.

14

> 8. Switzerland.

24

> 9. Japan.

18

> 10. Jamaica.

16
Hamlet

> 4. "Nothing in his life became him like the leaving of it."
>
> 5. "How tartly that gentleman looks! I never can see him but I am
> heart-burned an hour after."
>
> 6. This line is spoken in an orchard: "Where wilt thou find a
> cavern dark enough to mask thy monstrous visage?"

Macbeth

> 7. This was not the only slander the speaker leveled at the woman
> in question: "You rise to play, and go to bed to work."

The Taming of the Shrew

> 8. This remark is aimed at a close relative of the speaker: Thou art
> a boil, a plague-sore, or embossed carbuncle in my corrupted
> blood."
>
> 9. For this question, you can name either the play or the character
> speaking. "Away, you scullion! You rampallion! You fustilarian!
> I'll tickle your catastrophe."
>
> 10. A woman is described as: "No longer from head to foot than
> from hip to hip; she is spherical, like a globe; I could find
> out countries in her."

The Taming of the Shrew; Antony and Cleopatra

Pete Gayde

Peter Smyth

未读,
2016年6月28日 14:04:022016/6/28
收件人
Mark Brader wrote:

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2016-05-30,

> Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of the Usual Suspects and
> are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
> have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
> see my 2016-05-31 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>
> I wrote one of these rounds.
>

> * Game 2, Round 4 - Geography - Flags
>
> Simple round: we name the country and you give us the flag number
> on the handout:
>
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/2-4/flags.png
>
> 1. South Africa.
13
> 2. Nepal.
11
> 3. Turkey.
21
> 4. Israel.
22
> 5. Brazil.
17
> 6. Vatican City.
20
> 7. Czech Republic.
14
> 8. Switzerland.
24
> 9. Japan.
18
> 10. Jamaica.
16

> So there were 14 decoys, some of them a bit harder than others.
> If you like, decode the rot13 to see the remaining country names
> and identify those flags for fun, but for no points. Only one
> guess for each, please.
>
> 11. Barbados.
19
> 12. Chad.
5 (this is pretty much identical to Romania in colour, never mind black
and white!)
9
1
3
4
7
2
> 19. Thailand.
10
6
> 21. Georgia (the country).
23
> 22. Chile.
12
> 23. Macedonia.
15
> 24. Canada.
8

Peter Smyth

Erland Sommarskog

未读,
2016年6月28日 15:23:542016/6/28
收件人
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> * Game 2, Round 4 - Geography - Flags
>
> Simple round: we name the country and you give us the flag number
> on the handout:
>
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/2-4/flags.png
>
> 1. South Africa.

13

> 2. Nepal.

11

> 3. Turkey.

21

> 4. Israel.

22

> 5. Brazil.

17

> 6. Vatican City.

20

> 7. Czech Republic.

14

> 8. Switzerland.

24

> 9. Japan.

18

> 10. Jamaica.

16

> So there were 14 decoys, some of them a bit harder than others.
> If you like, decode the rot13 to see the remaining country names
> and identify those flags for fun, but for no points. Only one
> guess for each, please.

I'm too lazy for the rot13. The striped ones in are quite difficult
given the greyscale, but here it goes:

1) France
2) Nigeria
3) Ireland
4) Nigeria
5) Belgium
8) Mexico :-)
9) Vanuatu
10) Thailand
12) Taiwan
15) Macedonia
23) Georgia

Joshua Kreitzer

未读,
2016年6月28日 19:36:102016/6/28

> * Game 2, Round 4 - Geography - Flags
>
> Simple round: we name the country and you give us the flag number
> on the handout:
>
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/2-4/flags.png
>
> 1. South Africa.

13

> 2. Nepal.

11

> 3. Turkey.

21

> 4. Israel.

22

> 5. Brazil.

17

> 6. Vatican City.

20

> 7. Czech Republic.

14

> 8. Switzerland.

24

> 9. Japan.

18

> 10. Jamaica.

16

> So there were 14 decoys, some of them a bit harder than others.
> If you like, decode the rot13 to see the remaining country names
> and identify those flags for fun, but for no points. Only one
> guess for each, please.
>
> 11. Oneonqbf.

19

9

> 19. Gunvynaq.

10

> 21. Trbetvn (gur pbhagel).

23

> 22. Puvyr.

12

> 23. Znprqbavn.

15

8

> * Game 2, Round 6 - Literature - Barbs from the Bard
>
> We all know how great William Shakespeare was as a playwright.
> Here are some of his barbed put-downs, acerbic ripostes, and
> colorful curses. In most cases, you simply have to name the play
> where they appear.
>
> 1. This line is spoken on a ship at sea: "A pox o'your throat,
> you bawling, blasphemous, incharitable dog."

"The Tempest"

> 2. Diana is the target of this dismissive comment: "This woman's
> an easy glove, my lord, she goes off and on at pleasure".

"All's Well that Ends Well"; "Love's Labour's Lost"

> 3. "Frailty, thy name is woman!"

"Hamlet"

> 4. "Nothing in his life became him like the leaving of it."

"Macbeth"; "Julius Caesar"

> 5. "How tartly that gentleman looks! I never can see him but I am
> heart-burned an hour after."

"Much Ado About Nothing"

> 6. This line is spoken in an orchard: "Where wilt thou find a
> cavern dark enough to mask thy monstrous visage?"

"Richard III"; "The Tempest"

> 7. This was not the only slander the speaker leveled at the woman
> in question: "You rise to play, and go to bed to work."

"The Taming of the Shrew"; "Much Ado About Nothing"

> 8. This remark is aimed at a close relative of the speaker: Thou art
> a boil, a plague-sore, or embossed carbuncle in my corrupted
> blood."

"King Lear"

> 9. For this question, you can name either the play or the character
> speaking. "Away, you scullion! You rampallion! You fustilarian!
> I'll tickle your catastrophe."

"Henry V"

> 10. A woman is described as: "No longer from head to foot than
> from hip to hip; she is spherical, like a globe; I could find
> out countries in her."

"The Comedy of Errors"; "All's Well that Ends Well"

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

Jason Kreitzer

未读,
2016年6月28日 19:44:042016/6/28
收件人
On Tuesday, June 28, 2016 at 4:14:28 AM UTC-4, Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2016-05-30,

> Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of the Usual Suspects and
> are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
> have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
> see my 2016-05-31 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>
> I wrote one of these rounds.
>

> * Game 2, Round 4 - Geography - Flags
>
> Simple round: we name the country and you give us the flag number
> on the handout:
>
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/2-4/flags.png
>
> 1. South Africa.
13.
> 2. Nepal.
11.
> 3. Turkey.
21.
> 4. Israel.
22.
> 5. Brazil.
17.
> 6. Vatican City.
20.
> 7. Czech Republic.
10.?
> 8. Switzerland.
24.
> 9. Japan.
18.
> 10. Jamaica.
16.

> So there were 14 decoys, some of them a bit harder than others.
> If you like, decode the rot13 to see the remaining country names
> and identify those flags for fun, but for no points. Only one
> guess for each, please.
> 11. Barbados.
19.
> 12. Chad.
> 13. Bahrain.
> 14. France.
1.
> 15. Ireland.
3.
> 16. Nigeria.
> 17. Belgium.
> 18. Italy.
> 19. Thailand.
> 20. Romania.
> 21. Georgia (the country).
23.?
> 22. Chile.
> 23. Macedonia.
15.?
> 24. Canada.
8.

> * Game 2, Round 6 - Literature - Barbs from the Bard
>
> We all know how great William Shakespeare was as a playwright.
> Here are some of his barbed put-downs, acerbic ripostes, and
> colorful curses. In most cases, you simply have to name the play
> where they appear. For some questions, there is an additional hint.
> But wait: there's more! We're also providing a handout that lists
> about half of Shakespeare's plays, and all the answers will be
> found on it. Look, here it is:
>
> | All's Well That Ends Well | Macbeth
> | Antony and Cleopatra | Merchant of Venice
> | The Comedy of Errors | Much Ado About Nothing
> | Hamlet | Othello
> | Henry IV, Part II | Richard III
> | Henry V | The Taming of the Shrew
> | Julius Caesar | The Tempest
> | King Lear | Titus Andronicus
> | Love's Labour's Lost | Twelfth Night
>

> 1. This line is spoken on a ship at sea: "A pox o'your throat,
> you bawling, blasphemous, incharitable dog."
"The Tempest"?

> 2. Diana is the target of this dismissive comment: "This woman's
> an easy glove, my lord, she goes off and on at pleasure".
"Titus Andronicus"?
> 3. "Frailty, thy name is woman!"
"Hamlet?"
> 4. "Nothing in his life became him like the leaving of it."
"Macbeth"?
> 5. "How tartly that gentleman looks! I never can see him but I am
> heart-burned an hour after."
"The Merchant of Venice"
> 6. This line is spoken in an orchard: "Where wilt thou find a
> cavern dark enough to mask thy monstrous visage?"
"Henry V"?
> 7. This was not the only slander the speaker leveled at the woman
> in question: "You rise to play, and go to bed to work."
"The Taming of the Shrew"?
> 8. This remark is aimed at a close relative of the speaker: Thou art
> a boil, a plague-sore, or embossed carbuncle in my corrupted
> blood."
"Richard III"?
> 9. For this question, you can name either the play or the character
> speaking. "Away, you scullion! You rampallion! You fustilarian!
> I'll tickle your catastrophe."
"Julius Caesar"?
> 10. A woman is described as: "No longer from head to foot than
> from hip to hip; she is spherical, like a globe; I could find
> out countries in her."
"Love's Labour's Lost?"

swp

未读,
2016年6月28日 22:29:142016/6/28
收件人
On Tuesday, June 28, 2016 at 4:14:28 AM UTC-4, Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2016-05-30,
> and should be interpreted accordingly.

pre-invasion

> I wrote one of these rounds.

fun with flags?

> * Game 2, Round 4 - Geography - Flags
>
> Simple round: we name the country and you give us the flag number
> on the handout:
>
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/2-4/flags.png
>
> 1. South Africa.

13

> 2. Nepal.

11

> 3. Turkey.

21

> 4. Israel.

22

> 5. Brazil.

17

> 6. Vatican City.

20

> 7. Czech Republic.

14

> 8. Switzerland.

24

> 9. Japan.

18

> 10. Jamaica.

16

> So there were 14 decoys, some of them a bit harder than others.
> If you like, decode the rot13 to see the remaining country names
> and identify those flags for fun, but for no points. Only one
> guess for each, please.
>
> 11. Barbados.

19

9

2

7

> 18. Italy.
> 19. Thailand.

10

> 20. Romania.
> 21. Georgia (the country).

23

> 22. Chile.

12

> 23. Macedonia.

15

> 24. Canada.

8

... I am more color blind than I thought

> * Game 2, Round 6 - Literature - Barbs from the Bard
>
> We all know how great William Shakespeare was as a playwright.
> Here are some of his barbed put-downs, acerbic ripostes, and
> colorful curses. In most cases, you simply have to name the play
> where they appear. For some questions, there is an additional hint.
> But wait: there's more! We're also providing a handout that lists
> about half of Shakespeare's plays, and all the answers will be
> found on it. Look, here it is:
>
> | All's Well That Ends Well | Macbeth
> | Antony and Cleopatra | Merchant of Venice
> | The Comedy of Errors | Much Ado About Nothing
> | Hamlet | Othello
> | Henry IV, Part II | Richard III
> | Henry V | The Taming of the Shrew
> | Julius Caesar | The Tempest
> | King Lear | Titus Andronicus
> | Love's Labour's Lost | Twelfth Night
>

> 1. This line is spoken on a ship at sea: "A pox o'your throat,
> you bawling, blasphemous, incharitable dog."

the tempest

> 2. Diana is the target of this dismissive comment: "This woman's
> an easy glove, my lord, she goes off and on at pleasure".

all's well that ends well

> 3. "Frailty, thy name is woman!"

hamlet

> 4. "Nothing in his life became him like the leaving of it."

macbeth

> 5. "How tartly that gentleman looks! I never can see him but I am
> heart-burned an hour after."

much ado about nothing

> 6. This line is spoken in an orchard: "Where wilt thou find a
> cavern dark enough to mask thy monstrous visage?"

julius caesar

> 7. This was not the only slander the speaker leveled at the woman
> in question: "You rise to play, and go to bed to work."

othello

> 8. This remark is aimed at a close relative of the speaker: "Thou art
> a boil, a plague-sore, or embossed carbuncle in my corrupted
> blood."

king lear

> 9. For this question, you can name either the play or the character
> speaking. "Away, you scullion! You rampallion! You fustilarian!
> I'll tickle your catastrophe."

henry iv, part ii ; falstaff

> 10. A woman is described as: "No longer from head to foot than
> from hip to hip; she is spherical, like a globe; I could find
> out countries in her."

the comedy of errors

swp

Dan Tilque

未读,
2016年6月28日 22:29:292016/6/28
收件人
Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 2, Round 4 - Geography - Flags
>
> Simple round: we name the country and you give us the flag number
> on the handout:
>
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/2-4/flags.png
>
> 1. South Africa.

13

> 2. Nepal.

11

> 3. Turkey.

21

> 4. Israel.

22

> 5. Brazil.

17

> 6. Vatican City.

20

> 7. Czech Republic.

14

> 8. Switzerland.

24

> 9. Japan.

18

> 10. Jamaica.

16

The Tempest

> 2. Diana is the target of this dismissive comment: "This woman's
> an easy glove, my lord, she goes off and on at pleasure".

Twelfth Night

> 3. "Frailty, thy name is woman!"

Macbeth

--
Dan Tilque

Calvin

未读,
2016年6月28日 22:29:472016/6/28
收件人
On Tuesday, June 28, 2016 at 6:14:28 PM UTC+10, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 2, Round 4 - Geography - Flags
>
> Simple round: we name the country and you give us the flag number
> on the handout:
>
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/2-4/flags.png
>
> 1. South Africa.

13

> 2. Nepal.

11

> 3. Turkey.

21

> 4. Israel.

22

> 5. Brazil.

17

> 6. Vatican City.

20

> 7. Czech Republic.

14

> 8. Switzerland.

24

> 9. Japan.

18

> 10. Jamaica.

16

cheers,
calvin

Marc Dashevsky

未读,
2016年7月1日 00:25:322016/7/1
收件人
In article <56udnVE9m9Z9rO_K...@giganews.com>, m...@vex.net says...
> * Game 2, Round 4 - Geography - Flags
>
> Simple round: we name the country and you give us the flag number
> on the handout:
>
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/2-4/flags.png
>
> 1. South Africa.
13

> 2. Nepal.
11

> 3. Turkey.
21

> 4. Israel.
22

> 5. Brazil.
17

> 6. Vatican City.
20

> 7. Czech Republic.
14

> 8. Switzerland.
24

> 9. Japan.
18

> 10. Jamaica.
16

The Tempest

> 2. Diana is the target of this dismissive comment: "This woman's
> an easy glove, my lord, she goes off and on at pleasure".
>
> 3. "Frailty, thy name is woman!"
>
> 4. "Nothing in his life became him like the leaving of it."
MacBeth

> 5. "How tartly that gentleman looks! I never can see him but I am
> heart-burned an hour after."
>
> 6. This line is spoken in an orchard: "Where wilt thou find a
> cavern dark enough to mask thy monstrous visage?"
>
> 7. This was not the only slander the speaker leveled at the woman
> in question: "You rise to play, and go to bed to work."
>
> 8. This remark is aimed at a close relative of the speaker: Thou art
> a boil, a plague-sore, or embossed carbuncle in my corrupted
> blood."
King Lear

> 9. For this question, you can name either the play or the character
> speaking. "Away, you scullion! You rampallion! You fustilarian!
> I'll tickle your catastrophe."
>
> 10. A woman is described as: "No longer from head to foot than
> from hip to hip; she is spherical, like a globe; I could find
> out countries in her."

Mark Brader

未读,
2016年7月1日 05:06:222016/7/1
收件人
Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2016-05-30,
> see my 2016-05-31 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

> I wrote one of these rounds.

That was the flags round, and it was by far the easiest round in
the original game.

> * Game 2, Round 4 - Geography - Flags

> Simple round: we name the country and you give us the flag number
> on the handout:

> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/2-4/flags.png

Who needs color just because the round is about flags?

#13. 4 for everyone -- Bruce, Pete, Peter, Erland, Joshua, Jason,
Calvin, Dan, Stephen, and Marc.

#11. 4 for everyone.

#21. 4 for everyone.

#22. 4 for everyone.

#17. 4 for everyone.

#20. 4 for everyone.

#14. 4 for Bruce, Pete, Peter, Erland, Joshua, Calvin, Dan, Stephen,
and Marc.

#24. 4 for everyone.

#18. 4 for everyone.

#16. 4 for Pete, Peter, Erland, Joshua, Jason, Calvin, Dan, Stephen,
and Marc.

#19. Bruce, Peter, Joshua, Jason, and Stephen got this.

#5. Peter got this.

#9. Peter, Joshua, and Stephen got this.

#1. Peter, Erland, and Jason got this.

#3. Peter, Erland, and Jason got this.

#4. Peter and Erland got this.

#7. Peter and Stephen got this.

#2. Peter got this.

#10. Peter, Erland, Joshua, and Stephen got this.

#6. Peter got this.

#23. Peter, Erland, Joshua, Jason, and Stephen got this.

#12. Peter, Joshua, and Stephen got this.

#15. Peter, Erland, Joshua, Jason, and Stephen got this.

#8. Bruce, Peter, Joshua, Jason, Stephen, and presumably Erland
got this.

> * Game 2, Round 6 - Literature - Barbs from the Bard

> We all know how great William Shakespeare was as a playwright.
> Here are some of his barbed put-downs, acerbic ripostes, and
> colorful curses. In most cases, you simply have to name the play
> where they appear. For some questions, there is an additional hint.
> But wait: there's more! We're also providing a handout that lists
> about half of Shakespeare's plays, and all the answers will be
> found on it. Look, here it is:

> | All's Well That Ends Well | Macbeth
> | Antony and Cleopatra | Merchant of Venice
> | The Comedy of Errors | Much Ado About Nothing
> | Hamlet | Othello
> | Henry IV, Part II | Richard III
> | Henry V | The Taming of the Shrew
> | Julius Caesar | The Tempest
> | King Lear | Titus Andronicus
> | Love's Labour's Lost | Twelfth Night

This round, on the other hand, it was by some margin the hardest in
the original game.

> 1. This line is spoken on a ship at sea: "A pox o'your throat,
> you bawling, blasphemous, incharitable dog."

"The Tempest". 4 for Joshua, Jason, Dan, Stephen, and Marc.

> 2. Diana is the target of this dismissive comment: "This woman's
> an easy glove, my lord, she goes off and on at pleasure".

"All's Well That Ends Well". 4 for Stephen. 3 for Joshua.

> 3. "Frailty, thy name is woman!"

"Hamlet". 4 for Pete, Joshua, Jason, and Stephen.

> 4. "Nothing in his life became him like the leaving of it."

"Macbeth". 4 for Jason, Stephen, and Marc. 3 for Joshua.

> 5. "How tartly that gentleman looks! I never can see him but I am
> heart-burned an hour after."

"Much Ado About Nothing". 4 for Joshua and Stephen.

> 6. This line is spoken in an orchard: "Where wilt thou find a
> cavern dark enough to mask thy monstrous visage?"

"Julius Caesar". 4 for Stephen.

> 7. This was not the only slander the speaker leveled at the woman
> in question: "You rise to play, and go to bed to work."

"Othello". 4 for Stephen.

> 8. This remark is aimed at a close relative of the speaker: Thou art
> a boil, a plague-sore, or embossed carbuncle in my corrupted
> blood."

"King Lear". 4 for Joshua, Stephen, and Marc.

> 9. For this question, you can name either the play or the character
> speaking. "Away, you scullion! You rampallion! You fustilarian!
> I'll tickle your catastrophe."

Falstaff in "Henry IV, Part II". 4 for Stephen (the hard way).

> 10. A woman is described as: "No longer from head to foot than
> from hip to hip; she is spherical, like a globe; I could find
> out countries in her."

"The Comedy of Errors". 4 for Stephen. 3 for Joshua.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 2 ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 6 TOTALS
TOPICS-> Spo Ent Geo Lit
Stephen Perry 36 36 40 40 152
Joshua Kreitzer 16 30 40 25 111
Dan Tilque 20 12 40 4 76
Jason Kreitzer 4 12 36 12 64
Peter Smyth 18 0 40 0 58
"Calvin" 6 7 40 0 53
Marc Dashevsky -- -- 40 12 52
Pete Gayde -- -- 40 4 44
Erland Sommarskog 0 4 40 0 44
Bruce Bowler -- -- 36 0 36
Björn Lundin 4 2 -- -- 6

--
Mark Brader "I wasn't the one who misplaced the entire
Toronto Deltivid asteroid belt!"