QFTCI5GNM15 Final, Round 4: Literature

Mark Brader

Dec 28, 2015, 2:28:44 AM12/28/15
These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2015-07-07,
and should be interpreted accordingly.

Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

All questions were written by members of Five Guys Named Moe, and
are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
see my 2015-08-18 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

** Final, Round 4 - Literature

* Investigative Non-Fiction

For each question we'll give you the titles of a few investigative
non-fiction books, and you name their author.

1. "Black Hawk Down: A Story of Modern War"; "Killing Pablo: The
Hunt for the World's Greatest Outlaw"; "The Finish: The Killing
of Osama Bin Laden".

2. "Into Thin Air"; "Into the Wild"; "Where Men Win Glory: The
Odyssey of Pat Tillman".

3. "Liar's Poker"; "Boomerang: Travels in the New Third World";
"Flash Boys".

* Twice-Told Tales

Sometimes authors revisit classics to offer a new perspective or
point of view on a tale. Gregory Maguire's "Wicked", for example,
is a revisionist look at the land and characters from L. Frank
Baum's "The Wonderful Wizard of Oz". In this triple we'll give you
the title of a retelling of a classic from a different character's
point of view, and you give us the title of the famous original.

4. "Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead", by Tom Stoppard.

5. "Grendel", by John Gardner.

6. "The Penelopiad", by Margaret Atwood.

* Post-Technological Planets

We name the science-fiction author and give a brief description;
you name the *planet* that, for one reason or another, has reverted
to a low level of technology.

7. Author: Anne McCaffrey. Colonists land on a planet where
they find flying lizards that can teleport themselves anywhere
almost instantly. They genetically engineer them into huge,
ridable dragons.

8. Author: Marion Zimmer Bradley. Colonists crash-land on a
planet where they develop mental powers, including telepathy
and telekinesis.

9. Author: Isaac Asimov. When it was the capital of the Galactic
Empire, this planet was built up many levels deep over almost
its entire surface. After the empire's collapse, it returned to
being an agrarian society, with its metal sold for scrap.

* Sherlock Holmes

10. Sir Arthur Conan Doyle wrote four novels featuring Holmes.
One was "A Study in Scarlet", the tale that introduced Holmes
to readers, and another was "The Hound of the Baskervilles".
Name *either* of the other two.

11. Holmes refers to her as "*the* woman", the only female character
to outwit him. Name the character *or* the short story she is
featured in.

12. Before public pressure led Doyle to bring him back, Holmes was
supposedly killed in a fall while struggling with the "Napoleon
of Crime", Professor James Moriarty. Name *either* the place
where their fatal confrontation took place *or* the short story
which featured it.

* Books about War

13. First published in 1938, this book is George Orwell's personal
account of his experiences and observations in the Spanish
Civil War. Name the book.

14. Name the 2004 book by Evan Wright, chronicling his time as an
embedded reporter with a battalion of reconnaissance Marines
during the 2003 invasion of Iraq. The book was originally
published as a 3-part series in "Rolling Stone" and was made
into an HBO miniseries of the same name.

15. Published in 1977, this book by Michael Herr describes his
experiences in Vietnam as a war correspondent for Esquire
magazine. (Herr also contributed to the narration for
"Apocalypse Now" and co-wrote the screenplay for the film
"Full Metal Jacket".) Name the book.

--
Mark Brader "When laws are outlawed, only outlaws will have laws."
Toronto, m...@vex.net -- Diane Holt

Björn Lundin

Dec 28, 2015, 7:52:57 AM12/28/15
On 2015-12-28 08:28, Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2015-07-07,

> Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of Five Guys Named Moe, and
> are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
> have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
> see my 2015-08-18 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> ** Final, Round 4 - Literature
>

> * Twice-Told Tales
>

> * Post-Technological Planets
>

> * Sherlock Holmes
>
> 10. Sir Arthur Conan Doyle wrote four novels featuring Holmes.
> One was "A Study in Scarlet", the tale that introduced Holmes
> to readers, and another was "The Hound of the Baskervilles".
> Name *either* of the other two.

A Scandal in Belgravia

> 11. Holmes refers to her as "*the* woman", the only female character
> to outwit him. Name the character *or* the short story she is
> featured in.

A Scandal in Belgravia

> 12. Before public pressure led Doyle to bring him back, Holmes was
> supposedly killed in a fall while struggling with the "Napoleon
> of Crime", Professor James Moriarty. Name *either* the place
> where their fatal confrontation took place *or* the short story
> which featured it.

Hmm, oe fell into a waterfall, I think, but sont know where, so

A Scandal in Belgravia

must be the answer

> * Books about War
>
> 13. First published in 1938, this book is George Orwell's personal
> account of his experiences and observations in the Spanish
> Civil War. Name the book.

1984

> 14. Name the 2004 book by Evan Wright, chronicling his time as an
> embedded reporter with a battalion of reconnaissance Marines
> during the 2003 invasion of Iraq. The book was originally
> published as a 3-part series in "Rolling Stone" and was made
> into an HBO miniseries of the same name.
>
> 15. Published in 1977, this book by Michael Herr describes his
> experiences in Vietnam as a war correspondent for Esquire
> magazine. (Herr also contributed to the narration for
> "Apocalypse Now" and co-wrote the screenplay for the film
> "Full Metal Jacket".) Name the book.

Björn

Erland Sommarskog

Dec 28, 2015, 2:13:34 PM12/28/15
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> 9. Author: Isaac Asimov. When it was the capital of the Galactic
> Empire, this planet was built up many levels deep over almost
> its entire surface. After the empire's collapse, it returned to
> being an agrarian society, with its metal sold for scrap.

Trantor

(I had forgotten that part. What I do recall and what fascinated me
was the plantes in the direct vicinity of the Foundation had fallen
into such state of decay and barbary that no longer could produce
nuclear power, but had to resort oil-based power production. How would
that even be possible so many years in the future? And how would they
rediscover oil all of a sudden?)

> 12. Before public pressure led Doyle to bring him back, Holmes was
> supposedly killed in a fall while struggling with the "Napoleon
> of Crime", Professor James Moriarty. Name *either* the place
> where their fatal confrontation took place *or* the short story
> which featured it.

The cliffs of Dover

Dan Tilque

Dec 28, 2015, 4:18:16 PM12/28/15
Mark Brader wrote:

> ** Final, Round 4 - Literature
>
> * Investigative Non-Fiction
>
> For each question we'll give you the titles of a few investigative
> non-fiction books, and you name their author.
>
> 1. "Black Hawk Down: A Story of Modern War"; "Killing Pablo: The
> Hunt for the World's Greatest Outlaw"; "The Finish: The Killing
> of Osama Bin Laden".
>
> 2. "Into Thin Air"; "Into the Wild"; "Where Men Win Glory: The
> Odyssey of Pat Tillman".
>
> 3. "Liar's Poker"; "Boomerang: Travels in the New Third World";
> "Flash Boys".
>

> * Twice-Told Tales
>
> Sometimes authors revisit classics to offer a new perspective or
> point of view on a tale. Gregory Maguire's "Wicked", for example,
> is a revisionist look at the land and characters from L. Frank
> Baum's "The Wonderful Wizard of Oz". In this triple we'll give you
> the title of a retelling of a classic from a different character's
> point of view, and you give us the title of the famous original.
>
> 4. "Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead", by Tom Stoppard.

Hamlet

> 5. "Grendel", by John Gardner.

Beowulf

> 6. "The Penelopiad", by Margaret Atwood.

The Odyssey

> * Post-Technological Planets
>
> We name the science-fiction author and give a brief description;
> you name the *planet* that, for one reason or another, has reverted
> to a low level of technology.
>
> 7. Author: Anne McCaffrey. Colonists land on a planet where
> they find flying lizards that can teleport themselves anywhere
> almost instantly. They genetically engineer them into huge,
> ridable dragons.

Pern

> 8. Author: Marion Zimmer Bradley. Colonists crash-land on a
> planet where they develop mental powers, including telepathy
> and telekinesis.

Darkover

> 9. Author: Isaac Asimov. When it was the capital of the Galactic
> Empire, this planet was built up many levels deep over almost
> its entire surface. After the empire's collapse, it returned to
> being an agrarian society, with its metal sold for scrap.

Trantor

> * Sherlock Holmes
>
> 10. Sir Arthur Conan Doyle wrote four novels featuring Holmes.
> One was "A Study in Scarlet", the tale that introduced Holmes
> to readers, and another was "The Hound of the Baskervilles".
> Name *either* of the other two.

The Sign of Four

> 11. Holmes refers to her as "*the* woman", the only female character
> to outwit him. Name the character *or* the short story she is
> featured in.

Irene Adler

> 12. Before public pressure led Doyle to bring him back, Holmes was
> supposedly killed in a fall while struggling with the "Napoleon
> of Crime", Professor James Moriarty. Name *either* the place
> where their fatal confrontation took place *or* the short story
> which featured it.

Reichenbach Falls

> * Books about War
>
> 13. First published in 1938, this book is George Orwell's personal
> account of his experiences and observations in the Spanish
> Civil War. Name the book.
>
> 14. Name the 2004 book by Evan Wright, chronicling his time as an
> embedded reporter with a battalion of reconnaissance Marines
> during the 2003 invasion of Iraq. The book was originally
> published as a 3-part series in "Rolling Stone" and was made
> into an HBO miniseries of the same name.
>
> 15. Published in 1977, this book by Michael Herr describes his
> experiences in Vietnam as a war correspondent for Esquire
> magazine. (Herr also contributed to the narration for
> "Apocalypse Now" and co-wrote the screenplay for the film
> "Full Metal Jacket".) Name the book.

--
Dan Tilque

Mark Brader

Dec 28, 2015, 7:06:05 PM12/28/15
Erland Sommarskog:
> (I had forgotten that part. What I do recall and what fascinated me
> was the plantes in the direct vicinity of the Foundation had fallen
> into such state of decay and barbary that no longer could produce
> nuclear power, but had to resort oil-based power production. How would
> that even be possible so many years in the future?

I can think of four possibilities: (1) they had been sensible enough to
completely abandon the burning of oil while there was still some left;
(2) the oil referred to is vegetable-derived; (3) they were making oil
chemically from the sort of synthetic materials we now make *from* oil;
or (4) this was an error on Asimov's part.

I'm guessing that #1 was intended, whether you think it realistic or not.
Presumably the whole series is based on the premise that it's common for
people traveling to other solar systems to find planets ready for
colonization by humans. Therefore it must be common for planets to
evolve oxygen-producing plant life, but so rare for intelligent animal
life to evolve in this oxygen atmosphere that humans could arrive and
find no intelligent native species already claiming the place%.

If a planet's prehistory is like that, then it makes sense that there
would be oil underground, produced in the same way it is on Earth.
But if these colonists already have Empire-era technology when they
arrived, presumably they would never use it, preferring to keep the
place clean by using nuclear power.

> And how would they rediscover oil all of a sudden?)

The same way people did on Earth, and they'd do it when they realized
their power systems were failing.

%-- Of course the real reason behind all this is John W. Campbell was
prejudiced in favor of humans and didn't like stories with aliens that
met humans and weren't shown as inferior -- an attitude that Asimov
could not accept. So when he decided, when writing for Campbell,
that his stories would be ones where the issue never arose.
--
Mark Brader | The "I didn't think of that" type of failure occurs because
Toronto | I didn't think of that, and the reason I didn't think of it
| think of 'em, we would have. -- John W. Campbell

swp

Dec 28, 2015, 9:21:14 PM12/28/15
On Monday, December 28, 2015 at 7:06:05 PM UTC-5, Mark Brader wrote:
> Erland Sommarskog:
> > (I had forgotten that part. What I do recall and what fascinated me
> > was the plantes in the direct vicinity of the Foundation had fallen
> > into such state of decay and barbary that no longer could produce
> > nuclear power, but had to resort oil-based power production. How would
> > that even be possible so many years in the future?
>
> I can think of four possibilities: (1) they had been sensible enough to
> completely abandon the burning of oil while there was still some left;
> (2) the oil referred to is vegetable-derived; (3) they were making oil
> chemically from the sort of synthetic materials we now make *from* oil;
> or (4) this was an error on Asimov's part.
>
> I'm guessing that #1 was intended, whether you think it realistic or not.
> Presumably the whole series is based on the premise that it's common for
> people traveling to other solar systems to find planets ready for
> colonization by humans. Therefore it must be common for planets to
> evolve oxygen-producing plant life, but so rare for intelligent animal
> life to evolve in this oxygen atmosphere that humans could arrive and
> find no intelligent native species already claiming the place%.

or, the robots that humanity sent out as the first wave of exploration simply wiped them out as an obvious threat to their masters. that part of our future history was written about by some guy named frank herbert.

swp

Jason Kreitzer

Dec 28, 2015, 9:57:20 PM12/28/15
Beowulf
Richenbach Falls

Marc Dashevsky

Dec 28, 2015, 10:24:39 PM12/28/15
In article <QPednQA-Ksc2eR3L...@giganews.com>, m...@vex.net says...
> ** Final, Round 4 - Literature
>
> * Investigative Non-Fiction
>
> For each question we'll give you the titles of a few investigative
> non-fiction books, and you name their author.
>
> 1. "Black Hawk Down: A Story of Modern War"; "Killing Pablo: The
> Hunt for the World's Greatest Outlaw"; "The Finish: The Killing
> of Osama Bin Laden".
>
> 2. "Into Thin Air"; "Into the Wild"; "Where Men Win Glory: The
> Odyssey of Pat Tillman".
Jon Krakauer

> 3. "Liar's Poker"; "Boomerang: Travels in the New Third World";
> "Flash Boys".
Michael Lewis

> * Twice-Told Tales
>
> Sometimes authors revisit classics to offer a new perspective or
> point of view on a tale. Gregory Maguire's "Wicked", for example,
> is a revisionist look at the land and characters from L. Frank
> Baum's "The Wonderful Wizard of Oz". In this triple we'll give you
> the title of a retelling of a classic from a different character's
> point of view, and you give us the title of the famous original.
>
> 4. "Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead", by Tom Stoppard.
Hamlet

> 5. "Grendel", by John Gardner.
Beowulf

> 6. "The Penelopiad", by Margaret Atwood.
The Odyssey

> * Post-Technological Planets
>
> We name the science-fiction author and give a brief description;
> you name the *planet* that, for one reason or another, has reverted
> to a low level of technology.
>
> 7. Author: Anne McCaffrey. Colonists land on a planet where
> they find flying lizards that can teleport themselves anywhere
> almost instantly. They genetically engineer them into huge,
> ridable dragons.
>
> 8. Author: Marion Zimmer Bradley. Colonists crash-land on a
> planet where they develop mental powers, including telepathy
> and telekinesis.
>
> 9. Author: Isaac Asimov. When it was the capital of the Galactic
> Empire, this planet was built up many levels deep over almost
> its entire surface. After the empire's collapse, it returned to
> being an agrarian society, with its metal sold for scrap.
Trantor

> * Sherlock Holmes
>
> 10. Sir Arthur Conan Doyle wrote four novels featuring Holmes.
> One was "A Study in Scarlet", the tale that introduced Holmes
> to readers, and another was "The Hound of the Baskervilles".
> Name *either* of the other two.
>
> 11. Holmes refers to her as "*the* woman", the only female character
> to outwit him. Name the character *or* the short story she is
> featured in.
Irene Adler

> 12. Before public pressure led Doyle to bring him back, Holmes was
> supposedly killed in a fall while struggling with the "Napoleon
> of Crime", Professor James Moriarty. Name *either* the place
> where their fatal confrontation took place *or* the short story
> which featured it.
Reichenbach Falls

> * Books about War
>
> 13. First published in 1938, this book is George Orwell's personal
> account of his experiences and observations in the Spanish
> Civil War. Name the book.
>
> 14. Name the 2004 book by Evan Wright, chronicling his time as an
> embedded reporter with a battalion of reconnaissance Marines
> during the 2003 invasion of Iraq. The book was originally
> published as a 3-part series in "Rolling Stone" and was made
> into an HBO miniseries of the same name.
>
> 15. Published in 1977, this book by Michael Herr describes his
> experiences in Vietnam as a war correspondent for Esquire
> magazine. (Herr also contributed to the narration for
> "Apocalypse Now" and co-wrote the screenplay for the film
> "Full Metal Jacket".) Name the book.

Mark Brader

Dec 28, 2015, 11:05:09 PM12/28/15
Stephen Perry:
> or, the robots that humanity sent out as the first wave of exploration
> simply wiped them out as an obvious threat to their masters.

Well, you just wiped out your eligibility to enter this round.
You know better than to read other people's answers before entering!
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "We did not try to keep writing until
m...@vex.net | things got full." --Dennis Ritchie

Joshua Kreitzer

Dec 28, 2015, 11:11:54 PM12/28/15
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:QPednQA-Ksc2eR3LnZ2dnUU7-f-
dn...@giganews.com:

> ** Final, Round 4 - Literature
>
> * Investigative Non-Fiction
>
> For each question we'll give you the titles of a few investigative
> non-fiction books, and you name their author.
>
> 3. "Liar's Poker"; "Boomerang: Travels in the New Third World";
> "Flash Boys".

Michael Lewis

> * Twice-Told Tales
>
> In this triple we'll give you
> the title of a retelling of a classic from a different character's
> point of view, and you give us the title of the famous original.
>
> 4. "Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead", by Tom Stoppard.

"Hamlet"

> 5. "Grendel", by John Gardner.

"Beowulf"

> 6. "The Penelopiad", by Margaret Atwood.

"The Odyssey"

> * Post-Technological Planets
>
> We name the science-fiction author and give a brief description;
> you name the *planet* that, for one reason or another, has reverted
> to a low level of technology.
>
> 7. Author: Anne McCaffrey. Colonists land on a planet where
> they find flying lizards that can teleport themselves anywhere
> almost instantly. They genetically engineer them into huge,
> ridable dragons.

Pern

> * Sherlock Holmes
>
> 10. Sir Arthur Conan Doyle wrote four novels featuring Holmes.
> One was "A Study in Scarlet", the tale that introduced Holmes
> to readers, and another was "The Hound of the Baskervilles".
> Name *either* of the other two.

"The Sign of Four"

> 11. Holmes refers to her as "*the* woman", the only female character
> to outwit him. Name the character *or* the short story she is
> featured in.

Irene Adler; "A Scandal in Bohemia"

> 12. Before public pressure led Doyle to bring him back, Holmes was
> supposedly killed in a fall while struggling with the "Napoleon
> of Crime", Professor James Moriarty. Name *either* the place
> where their fatal confrontation took place *or* the short story
> which featured it.

"His Last Bow"; Reichenbach Falls

> * Books about War
>
> 13. First published in 1938, this book is George Orwell's personal
> account of his experiences and observations in the Spanish
> Civil War. Name the book.

"Homage to Catalonia"

> 15. Published in 1977, this book by Michael Herr describes his
> experiences in Vietnam as a war correspondent for Esquire
> magazine. (Herr also contributed to the narration for
> "Apocalypse Now" and co-wrote the screenplay for the film
> "Full Metal Jacket".) Name the book.

"Dispatches"

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

Gareth Owen

Dec 29, 2015, 6:54:09 AM12/29/15
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) writes:

> 2. "Into Thin Air"; "Into the Wild"; "Where Men Win Glory: The
> Odyssey of Pat Tillman".

John Krakauer

> 3. "Liar's Poker"; "Boomerang: Travels in the New Third World";
> "Flash Boys".

Michael Lewis

> * Twice-Told Tales
>
> Sometimes authors revisit classics to offer a new perspective or
> point of view on a tale. Gregory Maguire's "Wicked", for example,
> is a revisionist look at the land and characters from L. Frank
> Baum's "The Wonderful Wizard of Oz". In this triple we'll give you
> the title of a retelling of a classic from a different character's
> point of view, and you give us the title of the famous original.
>
> 4. "Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead", by Tom Stoppard.

Hamlet

> 5. "Grendel", by John Gardner.

Beowulf

> 6. "The Penelopiad", by Margaret Atwood.

The Odyssey

> * Post-Technological Planets
>
> We name the science-fiction author and give a brief description;
> you name the *planet* that, for one reason or another, has reverted
> to a low level of technology.
>
> 7. Author: Anne McCaffrey. Colonists land on a planet where
> they find flying lizards that can teleport themselves anywhere
> almost instantly. They genetically engineer them into huge,
> ridable dragons.

Pern

> 8. Author: Marion Zimmer Bradley. Colonists crash-land on a
> planet where they develop mental powers, including telepathy
> and telekinesis.

> 9. Author: Isaac Asimov. When it was the capital of the Galactic
> Empire, this planet was built up many levels deep over almost
> its entire surface. After the empire's collapse, it returned to
> being an agrarian society, with its metal sold for scrap.

Coruscant

> * Sherlock Holmes
>
> 10. Sir Arthur Conan Doyle wrote four novels featuring Holmes.
> One was "A Study in Scarlet", the tale that introduced Holmes
> to readers, and another was "The Hound of the Baskervilles".
> Name *either* of the other two.

The Sign Of Four?

> 11. Holmes refers to her as "*the* woman", the only female character
> to outwit him. Name the character *or* the short story she is
> featured in.

Irene Adler ("Scandal in Bohemia")

> 12. Before public pressure led Doyle to bring him back, Holmes was
> supposedly killed in a fall while struggling with the "Napoleon
> of Crime", Professor James Moriarty. Name *either* the place
> where their fatal confrontation took place *or* the short story
> which featured it.

The Reichenbach Falls ("The Final Problem")

> * Books about War
>
> 13. First published in 1938, this book is George Orwell's personal
> account of his experiences and observations in the Spanish
> Civil War. Name the book.

Homage to Catalonia

Erland Sommarskog

Dec 29, 2015, 3:03:20 PM12/29/15
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> Erland Sommarskog:
>> (I had forgotten that part. What I do recall and what fascinated me
>> was the plantes in the direct vicinity of the Foundation had fallen
>> into such state of decay and barbary that no longer could produce
>> nuclear power, but had to resort oil-based power production. How would
>> that even be possible so many years in the future?
>
> I can think of four possibilities: (1) they had been sensible enough to
> completely abandon the burning of oil while there was still some left;
> (2) the oil referred to is vegetable-derived; (3) they were making oil
> chemically from the sort of synthetic materials we now make *from* oil;
> or (4) this was an error on Asimov's part.

My interpretation is that is simlpy a sign of the times. Asimov probably
wanted an allegory of what how the these worlds retarded and he took
the technology that was on the frontline at the time and compared it
to the current mainstream. And that is certainly not inappropriate,
as the first half of trilogy can be read as a future version of the
Rise and Fall of the Roman Empire. (When drags in the Mule and advanced
physchohistorians of the Second Foundation, the story takes a different
turn.) So if you like just replace "nuclear power" with the top technology
of the Empire in its last days, and replace "oil" with what came before.

But taking his words at face value, it certainly is funny. If they would
be using nuclear power at that time, the idea that they would suddenly
don't know to handle it, is like man of today suddenly would not know
how to make fire.

Of course, it's not unlikely that nuclear power based on fission would be
completely unheard of that time in the future, simply because there
would be superior alternatives, but that's another story. And there
is also fusion power.

When it comes to oil, it does seem perceivable that people would use
oil to some extent. As you point out in the part I did not quote, it
is likely to be available locally on any planet with suitable conditions
for humans. And oil can be useful for many things of which fuel is one.
But given the assumption that at the time nuclear power (or whatever)
would be entirely dominating, the seems unlikely that oil would be used
to produce power or drive vehicles at all. Thus, if they would no
long were able to deal with nuclear power, they would need to develop
technology to be able to use the oil. That requires skills. But in a
soceity that is walking backwards so massively, where would that skill
come from?

Pete

Dec 29, 2015, 5:25:19 PM12/29/15
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:QPednQA-Ksc2eR3LnZ2dnUU7-f-
dn...@giganews.com:

Hamlet

> 5. "Grendel", by John Gardner.

Beowulf

> 6. "The Penelopiad", by Margaret Atwood.

Iliad
Pete

Björn Lundin

Dec 30, 2015, 11:43:39 AM12/30/15
On 2015-12-28 13:52, Björn Lundin wrote:
>> > 11. Holmes refers to her as "*the* woman", the only female character
>> > to outwit him. Name the character *or* the short story she is
>> > featured in.
> A Scandal in Belgravia

And I realize now that is from the 21th century TV-version of Sherlock.
And it is based on A Scandal in Bohemia ...

Björn

Dan Blum

Dec 31, 2015, 12:35:03 AM12/31/15
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> ** Final, Round 4 - Literature

> * Investigative Non-Fiction

> 2. "Into Thin Air"; "Into the Wild"; "Where Men Win Glory: The
> Odyssey of Pat Tillman".

Krakauer

> * Twice-Told Tales

> 4. "Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead", by Tom Stoppard.

Hamlet

> 5. "Grendel", by John Gardner.

Beowulf

> 6. "The Penelopiad", by Margaret Atwood.

The Odyssey

> * Post-Technological Planets

> 7. Author: Anne McCaffrey. Colonists land on a planet where
> they find flying lizards that can teleport themselves anywhere
> almost instantly. They genetically engineer them into huge,
> ridable dragons.

Pern

> 8. Author: Marion Zimmer Bradley. Colonists crash-land on a
> planet where they develop mental powers, including telepathy
> and telekinesis.

Darkover

> 9. Author: Isaac Asimov. When it was the capital of the Galactic
> Empire, this planet was built up many levels deep over almost
> its entire surface. After the empire's collapse, it returned to
> being an agrarian society, with its metal sold for scrap.

Trantor

> * Sherlock Holmes

> 10. Sir Arthur Conan Doyle wrote four novels featuring Holmes.
> One was "A Study in Scarlet", the tale that introduced Holmes
> to readers, and another was "The Hound of the Baskervilles".
> Name *either* of the other two.

The Sign of Four

> 11. Holmes refers to her as "*the* woman", the only female character
> to outwit him. Name the character *or* the short story she is
> featured in.

Irene Adler

> 12. Before public pressure led Doyle to bring him back, Holmes was
> supposedly killed in a fall while struggling with the "Napoleon
> of Crime", Professor James Moriarty. Name *either* the place
> where their fatal confrontation took place *or* the short story
> which featured it.

Reichenbach Falls

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Mark Brader

Dec 31, 2015, 5:01:13 AM12/31/15
Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2015-07-07,
> see my 2015-08-18 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

> ** Final, Round 4 - Literature

> * Investigative Non-Fiction

> For each question we'll give you the titles of a few investigative
> non-fiction books, and you name their author.

> 1. "Black Hawk Down: A Story of Modern War"; "Killing Pablo: The
> Hunt for the World's Greatest Outlaw"; "The Finish: The Killing
> of Osama Bin Laden".

Mark Bowden.

> 2. "Into Thin Air"; "Into the Wild"; "Where Men Win Glory: The
> Odyssey of Pat Tillman".

John Krakauer. 4 for Marc, Gareth, and Dan Blum.

> 3. "Liar's Poker"; "Boomerang: Travels in the New Third World";
> "Flash Boys".

Michael Lewis. 4 for Marc, Joshua, and Gareth.

> * Twice-Told Tales

> Sometimes authors revisit classics to offer a new perspective or
> point of view on a tale. Gregory Maguire's "Wicked", for example,
> is a revisionist look at the land and characters from L. Frank
> Baum's "The Wonderful Wizard of Oz". In this triple we'll give you
> the title of a retelling of a classic from a different character's
> point of view, and you give us the title of the famous original.

> 4. "Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead", by Tom Stoppard.

"Hamlet". 4 for Dan Tilque, Marc, Joshua, Gareth, Pete, and Dan Blum.

> 5. "Grendel", by John Gardner.

"Beowulf". 4 for Dan Tilque, Jason, Marc, Joshua, Gareth, Pete,
and Dan Blum.

> 6. "The Penelopiad", by Margaret Atwood.

"The Odyssey". 4 for Dan Tilque, Marc, Joshua, Gareth, and Dan Blum.

> * Post-Technological Planets

> We name the science-fiction author and give a brief description;
> you name the *planet* that, for one reason or another, has reverted
> to a low level of technology.

> 7. Author: Anne McCaffrey. Colonists land on a planet where
> they find flying lizards that can teleport themselves anywhere
> almost instantly. They genetically engineer them into huge,
> ridable dragons.

Pern. 4 for Dan Tilque, Joshua, Gareth, and Dan Blum.

> 8. Author: Marion Zimmer Bradley. Colonists crash-land on a
> planet where they develop mental powers, including telepathy
> and telekinesis.

Darkover (or Cottman IV). 4 for Dan Tilque and Dan Blum.

> 9. Author: Isaac Asimov. When it was the capital of the Galactic
> Empire, this planet was built up many levels deep over almost
> its entire surface. After the empire's collapse, it returned to
> being an agrarian society, with its metal sold for scrap.

Trantor. [Not to be confused with Toronto. :-)] 4 for Erland,
Dan Tilque, Marc, and Dan Blum.

> * Sherlock Holmes

> 10. Sir Arthur Conan Doyle wrote four novels featuring Holmes.
> One was "A Study in Scarlet", the tale that introduced Holmes
> to readers, and another was "The Hound of the Baskervilles".
> Name *either* of the other two.

"The Sign of the Four", "The Valley of Fear". 4 for Dan Tilque,
Joshua, Gareth, and Dan Blum.

> 11. Holmes refers to her as "*the* woman", the only female character
> to outwit him. Name the character *or* the short story she is
> featured in.

Irene Adler, "A Scandal in Bohemia". 4 for Dan Tilque, Marc, Joshua
(the hard way), Gareth, and Dan Blum.

> 12. Before public pressure led Doyle to bring him back, Holmes was
> supposedly killed in a fall while struggling with the "Napoleon
> of Crime", Professor James Moriarty. Name *either* the place
> where their fatal confrontation took place *or* the short story
> which featured it.

Reichenbach Falls (Switzerland), "The (Adventure of the) Final
Problem". 4 for Dan Tilque, Jason, Marc, Gareth, and Dan Blum.
2 for Joshua.

> * Books about War

> 13. First published in 1938, this book is George Orwell's personal
> account of his experiences and observations in the Spanish
> Civil War. Name the book.

"Homage to Catalonia". 4 for Joshua and Gareth.

> 14. Name the 2004 book by Evan Wright, chronicling his time as an
> embedded reporter with a battalion of reconnaissance Marines
> during the 2003 invasion of Iraq. The book was originally
> published as a 3-part series in "Rolling Stone" and was made
> into an HBO miniseries of the same name.

"Generation Kill".

> 15. Published in 1977, this book by Michael Herr describes his
> experiences in Vietnam as a war correspondent for Esquire
> magazine. (Herr also contributed to the narration for
> "Apocalypse Now" and co-wrote the screenplay for the film
> "Full Metal Jacket".) Name the book.

"Dispatches". 4 for Joshua.

Scores, if there are no errors:

FINAL ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 TOTALS
TOPICS-> Geo Sci Lit
Joshua Kreitzer 32 40 38 110
Marc Dashevsky 22 47 32 101
Dan Blum 14 47 40 101
Dan Tilque 20 35 36 91
Peter Smyth 35 34 -- 69
"Calvin" 20 41 -- 61
Gareth Owen 12 -- 40 52
Erland Sommarskog 16 24 4 44
Björn Lundin 18 22 0 40
Pete Gayde 20 8 8 36
Jason Kreitzer -- -- 8 8

--
Mark Brader | "You read war books -- people shooting each other,
Toronto | people bombing each other, people torturing each