QFTCIMM16 Game 8, Rounds 7-8: Archie, losers

Mark Brader

Mar 1, 2017, 1:13:51 AM3/1/17
These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2016-11-14,
and should be interpreted accordingly.

Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

All questions were written by members of the Misplaced Modifiers
and are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
see my 2016-11-26 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

As this is posted, QFTCI5EP current-events Rounds 5 and 6 are
running concurrently.

* Game 8, Round 7 - Entertainment - Archie Comics

Please see: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/8-7/ar/chie.pdf

I've rearranged the questions in order by pictures. This time
questions were actually supplied for the two decoys, so I've
included these in the round and you can answer if you like for
fun, but for no points.

1. Picture A. In September 2010 a new character, Kevin Keller,
is introduced in the series. Why does this handsome army brat
not want to date Veronica, when she is clearly interested?

2. Picture B (decoy). Historically, what was the name of the
*headgear* in this picture?

3. Picture C. What is the name of the *animal* in the car?

4. Picture D. What is the family name of these people?

5. Picture E. Archie's chief rival for the attention of Veronica
is the magnificent specimen seen here on the ground. He is
vain, sarcastic, duplicitous, athletic, and rich -- and what
is his name?

6. Picture F. What is the name of this prized athlete, who often
needs tutoring from Archie and the gang to keep his grades high
enough for participation on the school teams?

7. Picture G (decoy). What is the name of the *car* in the picture?

8. Picture H. Name the man in this picture.

9. Picture I. This picture is from the first issue ever of "Archie"
comics. Within 5 years, what anniversary is celebrated this
year?

10. Picture J. In what establishment do we see these people?
After answering this question, please decode the rot13: vs
jung lbh jebgr bayl vqragvsvrq gur cebcevrgbe, jr arrq zber;
nqq gur erfg.

11. Picture K. What is the name of this girl band, first introduced
in "Archie's Pals 'n Gals" in its winter 1962/63 issue?

12. Picture L. What is the name of this school?

* Game 8, Round 8 - History - Second-Place Politicians

The great race-car driver Bobby Unser once said, "Nobody remembers
who finished second but the guy who finished second". Does that
also hold true for politics? Let's find out. Given the year,
the political contest, and the victor of that contest, you name
the second-place finisher.

1. 2008 US Presidential election: Barack Obama won. Who came
second?

2. 2003 Toronto mayoral election: David Miller won.

3. 1983 federal Progressive Conservative leadership contest:
Brian Mulroney won.

4. 2015 Ontario provincial Progressive Conservative leadership
contest: Patrick Brown won.

5. 1996 US presidential election: Bill Clinton won.

6. 1948 US Presidential Election: Harry Truman won.

7. 2006 federal Liberal Party leadership contest: Stéphane Dion won.

8. 2004 Conservative Party leadership election: Stephen Harper
won over this "Conservative" candidate.

9. 2000 Toronto mayoral election: Mel Lastman won with 80% of the
vote. Which now-deceased environmental activist came second?

10. 1964 US Presidential election: Lyndon Johnson won, over this
candidate that many are comparing to Donald Trump.

--
Mark Brader | this take
Toronto | "If is shall really to
| -- Piglet ("Winnie-the-Pooh", A.A. Milne)

Joshua Kreitzer

Mar 1, 2017, 2:12:29 AM3/1/17
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:U_udnS1eZMIH-yvFnZ2dnUU7-
dfN...@giganews.com:

> * Game 8, Round 7 - Entertainment - Archie Comics
>
> Please see: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/8-7/ar/chie.pdf
>
> 1. Picture A. In September 2010 a new character, Kevin Keller,
> is introduced in the series. Why does this handsome army brat
> not want to date Veronica, when she is clearly interested?

he's gay

> 3. Picture C. What is the name of the *animal* in the car?

Hot Dog

> 4. Picture D. What is the family name of these people?

Lodge

> 5. Picture E. Archie's chief rival for the attention of Veronica
> is the magnificent specimen seen here on the ground. He is
> vain, sarcastic, duplicitous, athletic, and rich -- and what
> is his name?

Reggie Mantle

> 6. Picture F. What is the name of this prized athlete, who often
> needs tutoring from Archie and the gang to keep his grades high
> enough for participation on the school teams?

Moose

> 8. Picture H. Name the man in this picture.

Mr. Weatherbee

> 9. Picture I. This picture is from the first issue ever of "Archie"
> comics. Within 5 years, what anniversary is celebrated this
> year?

75th

> 10. Picture J. In what establishment do we see these people?
> After answering this question, please decode the rot13: vs
> jung lbh jebgr bayl vqragvsvrq gur cebcevrgbe, jr arrq zber;
> nqq gur erfg.

the Choklit Shop

> 11. Picture K. What is the name of this girl band, first introduced
> in "Archie's Pals 'n Gals" in its winter 1962/63 issue?

Josie and the Pussycats

> 12. Picture L. What is the name of this school?

Riverdale High School

> * Game 8, Round 8 - History - Second-Place Politicians
>
> Given the year,
> the political contest, and the victor of that contest, you name
> the second-place finisher.
>
> 1. 2008 US Presidential election: Barack Obama won. Who came
> second?

John McCain

> 5. 1996 US presidential election: Bill Clinton won.

Bob Dole

> 6. 1948 US Presidential Election: Harry Truman won.

Thomas Dewey

> 8. 2004 Conservative Party leadership election: Stephen Harper
> won over this "Conservative" candidate.

Stockwell Day

> 10. 1964 US Presidential election: Lyndon Johnson won, over this
> candidate that many are comparing to Donald Trump.

Barry Goldwater

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

Dan Blum

Mar 1, 2017, 9:43:12 AM3/1/17
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 8, Round 7 - Entertainment - Archie Comics

> 1. Picture A. In September 2010 a new character, Kevin Keller,
> is introduced in the series. Why does this handsome army brat
> not want to date Veronica, when she is clearly interested?

he's gay

> 3. Picture C. What is the name of the *animal* in the car?

Hot Dog

> 4. Picture D. What is the family name of these people?

Lodge

> 5. Picture E. Archie's chief rival for the attention of Veronica
> is the magnificent specimen seen here on the ground. He is
> vain, sarcastic, duplicitous, athletic, and rich -- and what
> is his name?

Reggie

> 6. Picture F. What is the name of this prized athlete, who often
> needs tutoring from Archie and the gang to keep his grades high
> enough for participation on the school teams?

Moose

> 8. Picture H. Name the man in this picture.

Principal Weatherbee

> 9. Picture I. This picture is from the first issue ever of "Archie"
> comics. Within 5 years, what anniversary is celebrated this
> year?

75; 60

> 10. Picture J. In what establishment do we see these people?
> After answering this question, please decode the rot13: vs
> jung lbh jebgr bayl vqragvsvrq gur cebcevrgbe, jr arrq zber;
> nqq gur erfg.

Pop's Soda Shop

> 11. Picture K. What is the name of this girl band, first introduced
> in "Archie's Pals 'n Gals" in its winter 1962/63 issue?

Josie and the Pussycats

> 12. Picture L. What is the name of this school?

Riverdale High

> * Game 8, Round 8 - History - Second-Place Politicians

> 1. 2008 US Presidential election: Barack Obama won. Who came
> second?

John McCain

> 2. 2003 Toronto mayoral election: David Miller won.

Rob Ford

> 5. 1996 US presidential election: Bill Clinton won.

Bob Dole

> 6. 1948 US Presidential Election: Harry Truman won.

Thomas Dewey

> 10. 1964 US Presidential election: Lyndon Johnson won, over this
> candidate that many are comparing to Donald Trump.

Barry Goldwater

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Pete Gayde

Mar 1, 2017, 1:56:50 PM3/1/17
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:U_udnS1eZMIH-yvFnZ2dnUU7-
dfN...@giganews.com:

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2016-11-14,

> Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of the Misplaced Modifiers
> and are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
> have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
> see my 2016-11-26 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>
> As this is posted, QFTCI5EP current-events Rounds 5 and 6 are
> running concurrently.
>

> * Game 8, Round 7 - Entertainment - Archie Comics
>
> Please see: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/8-7/ar/chie.pdf
>
> I've rearranged the questions in order by pictures. This time
> questions were actually supplied for the two decoys, so I've
> included these in the round and you can answer if you like for
> fun, but for no points.
>
> 1. Picture A. In September 2010 a new character, Kevin Keller,
> is introduced in the series. Why does this handsome army brat
> not want to date Veronica, when she is clearly interested?

He is gay

> 2. Picture B (decoy). Historically, what was the name of the
> *headgear* in this picture?

Dunce cap

> 3. Picture C. What is the name of the *animal* in the car?
>
> 4. Picture D. What is the family name of these people?

Lake

> 5. Picture E. Archie's chief rival for the attention of Veronica
> is the magnificent specimen seen here on the ground. He is
> vain, sarcastic, duplicitous, athletic, and rich -- and what
> is his name?

Reggie

> 6. Picture F. What is the name of this prized athlete, who often
> needs tutoring from Archie and the gang to keep his grades high
> enough for participation on the school teams?

Biff; Lumpy

> 7. Picture G (decoy). What is the name of the *car* in the picture?
>
> 8. Picture H. Name the man in this picture.
>
> 9. Picture I. This picture is from the first issue ever of "Archie"
> comics. Within 5 years, what anniversary is celebrated this
> year?

75

> 10. Picture J. In what establishment do we see these people?
> After answering this question, please decode the rot13: vs
> jung lbh jebgr bayl vqragvsvrq gur cebcevrgbe, jr arrq zber;
> nqq gur erfg.
>
> 11. Picture K. What is the name of this girl band, first introduced
> in "Archie's Pals 'n Gals" in its winter 1962/63 issue?

Josie and the Pussycats

> 12. Picture L. What is the name of this school?

Riverdale

> * Game 8, Round 8 - History - Second-Place Politicians
>
> The great race-car driver Bobby Unser once said, "Nobody remembers
> who finished second but the guy who finished second". Does that
> also hold true for politics? Let's find out. Given the year,
> the political contest, and the victor of that contest, you name
> the second-place finisher.
>
> 1. 2008 US Presidential election: Barack Obama won. Who came
> second?

John McCain

> 2. 2003 Toronto mayoral election: David Miller won.

Ford

> 3. 1983 federal Progressive Conservative leadership contest:
> Brian Mulroney won.
>
> 4. 2015 Ontario provincial Progressive Conservative leadership
> contest: Patrick Brown won.
>
> 5. 1996 US presidential election: Bill Clinton won.

Bob Dole

> 6. 1948 US Presidential Election: Harry Truman won.

Dewey

> 7. 2006 federal Liberal Party leadership contest: Stéphane Dion won.
>
> 8. 2004 Conservative Party leadership election: Stephen Harper
> won over this "Conservative" candidate.
>
> 9. 2000 Toronto mayoral election: Mel Lastman won with 80% of the
> vote. Which now-deceased environmental activist came second?

Ford

> 10. 1964 US Presidential election: Lyndon Johnson won, over this
> candidate that many are comparing to Donald Trump.

Goldwater

Pete Gayde

Erland Sommarskog

Mar 1, 2017, 2:05:45 PM3/1/17
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> * Game 8, Round 8 - History - Second-Place Politicians
>
> The great race-car driver Bobby Unser once said, "Nobody remembers
> who finished second but the guy who finished second". Does that
> also hold true for politics? Let's find out. Given the year,
> the political contest, and the victor of that contest, you name
> the second-place finisher.
>
> 1. 2008 US Presidential election: Barack Obama won. Who came
> second?

John McCain

> 2. 2003 Toronto mayoral election: David Miller won.

Rob Ford

> 3. 1983 federal Progressive Conservative leadership contest:
> Brian Mulroney won.

Pierre Trudeau

> 10. 1964 US Presidential election: Lyndon Johnson won, over this
> candidate that many are comparing to Donald Trump.

Barry Goldwater

Calvin

Mar 1, 2017, 10:33:31 PM3/1/17
On Wednesday, March 1, 2017 at 4:13:51 PM UTC+10, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 8, Round 7 - Entertainment - Archie Comics

Pass

> * Game 8, Round 8 - History - Second-Place Politicians
>
> The great race-car driver Bobby Unser once said, "Nobody remembers
> who finished second but the guy who finished second". Does that
> also hold true for politics? Let's find out. Given the year,
> the political contest, and the victor of that contest, you name
> the second-place finisher.
>
> 1. 2008 US Presidential election: Barack Obama won. Who came
> second?

Romney, McCain

> 2. 2003 Toronto mayoral election: David Miller won.

Ford?

> 3. 1983 federal Progressive Conservative leadership contest:
> Brian Mulroney won.
>
> 4. 2015 Ontario provincial Progressive Conservative leadership
> contest: Patrick Brown won.
>
> 5. 1996 US presidential election: Bill Clinton won.

Dole

> 6. 1948 US Presidential Election: Harry Truman won.

Dewey

> 7. 2006 federal Liberal Party leadership contest: Stéphane Dion won.
>
> 8. 2004 Conservative Party leadership election: Stephen Harper
> won over this "Conservative" candidate.
>
> 9. 2000 Toronto mayoral election: Mel Lastman won with 80% of the
> vote. Which now-deceased environmental activist came second?
>
> 10. 1964 US Presidential election: Lyndon Johnson won, over this
> candidate that many are comparing to Donald Trump.

Goldwater

cheers,
calvin

Jason Kreitzer

Mar 2, 2017, 5:14:11 PM3/2/17
He's gay.
> 2. Picture B (decoy). Historically, what was the name of the
> *headgear* in this picture?
Crown.
> 3. Picture C. What is the name of the *animal* in the car?
Hot Dog.
> 4. Picture D. What is the family name of these people?
Lodge
> 5. Picture E. Archie's chief rival for the attention of Veronica
> is the magnificent specimen seen here on the ground. He is
> vain, sarcastic, duplicitous, athletic, and rich -- and what
> is his name?
Reggie Mantle
> 6. Picture F. What is the name of this prized athlete, who often
> needs tutoring from Archie and the gang to keep his grades high
> enough for participation on the school teams?
Moose
> 7. Picture G (decoy). What is the name of the *car* in the picture?
> Ol' Betsy
> 8. Picture H. Name the man in this picture.
> Mr. Weatherbee
> 9. Picture I. This picture is from the first issue ever of "Archie"
> comics. Within 5 years, what anniversary is celebrated this
> year?
65?
> 10. Picture J. In what establishment do we see these people?
> After answering this question, please decode the rot13: vs
> jung lbh jebgr bayl vqragvsvrq gur cebcevrgbe, jr arrq zber;
> nqq gur erfg.
Pop's Diner.
"if what you wrote only identified the proprietor, we need more; add the rest."
> 11. Picture K. What is the name of this girl band, first introduced
> in "Archie's Pals 'n Gals" in its winter 1962/63 issue?
Josie and the Pussycats
> 12. Picture L. What is the name of this school?
Riverdale High

> * Game 8, Round 8 - History - Second-Place Politicians
>
> The great race-car driver Bobby Unser once said, "Nobody remembers
> who finished second but the guy who finished second". Does that
> also hold true for politics? Let's find out. Given the year,
> the political contest, and the victor of that contest, you name
> the second-place finisher.
>
> 1. 2008 US Presidential election: Barack Obama won. Who came
> second?
John McCain
> 2. 2003 Toronto mayoral election: David Miller won.
Ron Ford?
> 3. 1983 federal Progressive Conservative leadership contest:
> Brian Mulroney won.
>
> 4. 2015 Ontario provincial Progressive Conservative leadership
> contest: Patrick Brown won.
>
> 5. 1996 US presidential election: Bill Clinton won.
Bob Dole
> 6. 1948 US Presidential Election: Harry Truman won.
Thomas Dewey
> 7. 2006 federal Liberal Party leadership contest: Stéphane Dion won.
>
> 8. 2004 Conservative Party leadership election: Stephen Harper
> won over this "Conservative" candidate.
>
> 9. 2000 Toronto mayoral election: Mel Lastman won with 80% of the
> vote. Which now-deceased environmental activist came second?
>
> 10. 1964 US Presidential election: Lyndon Johnson won, over this
> candidate that many are comparing to Donald Trump.
Barry Goldwater

Dan Tilque

Mar 3, 2017, 6:17:51 AM3/3/17
Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 8, Round 7 - Entertainment - Archie Comics
>
> Please see: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/8-7/ar/chie.pdf
>
> I've rearranged the questions in order by pictures. This time
> questions were actually supplied for the two decoys, so I've
> included these in the round and you can answer if you like for
> fun, but for no points.
>
> 1. Picture A. In September 2010 a new character, Kevin Keller,
> is introduced in the series. Why does this handsome army brat
> not want to date Veronica, when she is clearly interested?

he's gay

> 2. Picture B (decoy). Historically, what was the name of the
> *headgear* in this picture?
>
> 3. Picture C. What is the name of the *animal* in the car?
>
> 4. Picture D. What is the family name of these people?
>
> 5. Picture E. Archie's chief rival for the attention of Veronica
> is the magnificent specimen seen here on the ground. He is
> vain, sarcastic, duplicitous, athletic, and rich -- and what
> is his name?

Reginald

> 6. Picture F. What is the name of this prized athlete, who often
> needs tutoring from Archie and the gang to keep his grades high
> enough for participation on the school teams?
>
> 7. Picture G (decoy). What is the name of the *car* in the picture?
>
> 8. Picture H. Name the man in this picture.
>
> 9. Picture I. This picture is from the first issue ever of "Archie"
> comics. Within 5 years, what anniversary is celebrated this
> year?

64th

> 10. Picture J. In what establishment do we see these people?
> After answering this question, please decode the rot13: vs
> jung lbh jebgr bayl vqragvsvrq gur cebcevrgbe, jr arrq zber;
> nqq gur erfg.
>
> 11. Picture K. What is the name of this girl band, first introduced
> in "Archie's Pals 'n Gals" in its winter 1962/63 issue?
>
> 12. Picture L. What is the name of this school?
>

> * Game 8, Round 8 - History - Second-Place Politicians
>
> The great race-car driver Bobby Unser once said, "Nobody remembers
> who finished second but the guy who finished second". Does that
> also hold true for politics? Let's find out. Given the year,
> the political contest, and the victor of that contest, you name
> the second-place finisher.
>
> 1. 2008 US Presidential election: Barack Obama won. Who came
> second?

McCain

> 2. 2003 Toronto mayoral election: David Miller won.
>
> 3. 1983 federal Progressive Conservative leadership contest:
> Brian Mulroney won.
>
> 4. 2015 Ontario provincial Progressive Conservative leadership
> contest: Patrick Brown won.
>
> 5. 1996 US presidential election: Bill Clinton won.

Bob Dole

> 6. 1948 US Presidential Election: Harry Truman won.

Dewey

> 7. 2006 federal Liberal Party leadership contest: Stéphane Dion won.
>
> 8. 2004 Conservative Party leadership election: Stephen Harper
> won over this "Conservative" candidate.
>
> 9. 2000 Toronto mayoral election: Mel Lastman won with 80% of the
> vote. Which now-deceased environmental activist came second?
>
> 10. 1964 US Presidential election: Lyndon Johnson won, over this
> candidate that many are comparing to Donald Trump.

Barry Goldwater

--
Dan Tilque

Mark Brader

Mar 4, 2017, 12:30:54 AM3/4/17
Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2016-11-14,
> see my 2016-11-26 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)"...

> * Game 8, Round 7 - Entertainment - Archie Comics

> Please see: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/8-7/ar/chie.pdf

> I've rearranged the questions in order by pictures. This time
> questions were actually supplied for the two decoys, so I've
> included these in the round and you can answer if you like for
> fun, but for no points.

> 1. Picture A. In September 2010 a new character, Kevin Keller,
> is introduced in the series. Why does this handsome army brat
> not want to date Veronica, when she is clearly interested?

He's gay. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, Pete, Jason, and Dan Tilque.

> 2. Picture B (decoy). Historically, what was the name of the
> *headgear* in this picture?

Whoopie cap, or clubhouse beanie.

> 3. Picture C. What is the name of the *animal* in the car?

Hot Dog. (Jughead's dog.) 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, and Jason.

> 4. Picture D. What is the family name of these people?

Lodge. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, and Jason.

> 5. Picture E. Archie's chief rival for the attention of Veronica
> is the magnificent specimen seen here on the ground. He is
> vain, sarcastic, duplicitous, athletic, and rich -- and what
> is his name?

Reggie Mantle. "Reggie" was sufficient. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum,
Pete, Jason, and Dan Tilque.

> 6. Picture F. What is the name of this prized athlete, who often
> needs tutoring from Archie and the gang to keep his grades high
> enough for participation on the school teams?

Moose Mason. "Moose" was sufficient. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum,
and Jason.

> 7. Picture G (decoy). What is the name of the *car* in the picture?

Betsy.

> 8. Picture H. Name the man in this picture.

Waldo Weatherby. 4 for Joshua and Dan Blum.

> 9. Picture I. This picture is from the first issue ever of "Archie"
> comics. Within 5 years, what anniversary is celebrated this
> year?

75th (accepting 70th-80th). 4 for Joshua and Pete. 3 for Dan Blum.

> 10. Picture J. In what establishment do we see these people?
> After answering this question, please decode the rot13: if
> what you wrote only identified the proprietor, we need more;
> add the rest.

(Pop's or Pop Tate's) Chocklit Shoppe. 4 for Joshua.

> 11. Picture K. What is the name of this girl band, first introduced
> in "Archie's Pals 'n Gals" in its winter 1962/63 issue?

Josie and the Pussycats. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, Pete, and Jason.

> 12. Picture L. What is the name of this school?

Riverdale High. (Both words required for full points.) 4 for Joshua,
Dan Blum, and Jason. 3 for Pete.

When constructing the handout, the Mods masked the answer out of
the main title at the top of the cover, but they missed noticing
that the image includes the spine of the comic, with the full title
repeated there. I could have removed it, but I thought it'd more
fun to leave the giveaway in place and see how many people missed it:
at least Erland, Calvin, and Dan Tilque did.

> * Game 8, Round 8 - History - Second-Place Politicians

> The great race-car driver Bobby Unser once said, "Nobody remembers
> who finished second but the guy who finished second". Does that
> also hold true for politics? Let's find out. Given the year,
> the political contest, and the victor of that contest, you name
> the second-place finisher.

> 1. 2008 US Presidential election: Barack Obama won. Who came
> second?

John McCain. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, Pete, Erland, Jason,
and Dan Tilque. 2 for Calvin.

> 2. 2003 Toronto mayoral election: David Miller won.

John Tory.

We thought we'd gotten rid of him after that, but he switched
to provincial politics and won the leadership of the PC Party.
But when he couldn't get elected to the premiership either, he
switched back to municipal politics. And after 4 years of Rob
Ford as mayor -- and with Doug Ford running to succeed him --
Tory looked good in comparison.

(Seriously now, he's been a good mayor in many ways; I just don't
like some of his policy choices.)

> 3. 1983 federal Progressive Conservative leadership contest:
> Brian Mulroney won.

Joe Clark.

> 4. 2015 Ontario provincial Progressive Conservative leadership
> contest: Patrick Brown won.

Christine Elliot.

> 5. 1996 US presidential election: Bill Clinton won.

Bob Dole. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, Pete, Calvin, Jason,
and Dan Tilque.

> 6. 1948 US Presidential Election: Harry Truman won.

Thomas Dewey. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, Pete, Calvin, Jason,
and Dan Tilque.

> 7. 2006 federal Liberal Party leadership contest: Stéphane Dion won.

Michael Ignatieff.

> 8. 2004 Conservative Party leadership election: Stephen Harper
> won over this "Conservative" candidate.

Belinda Stronach (who defected to the Liberals the following year).

> 9. 2000 Toronto mayoral election: Mel Lastman won with 80% of the
> vote. Which now-deceased environmental activist came second?

Tooker Gomberg (with 8.5%).

> 10. 1964 US Presidential election: Lyndon Johnson won, over this
> candidate that many are comparing to Donald Trump.

Barry Goldwater. 4 for everyone -- Joshua, Dan Blum, Pete, Erland,
Calvin, Jason, and Dan Tilque.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 8 ROUNDS-> 2 3 6 7 8 BEST
TOPICS-> Geo Spo Sci Ent His THREE
Dan Blum 28 6 35 35 16 98
Don Piven 36 19 40 -- -- 95
Joshua Kreitzer 34 20 19 40 16 94
Pete Gayde 35 26 28 19 16 89
Bruce Bowler 16 24 40 -- -- 80
Dan Tilque 32 16 32 8 16 80
"Calvin" 35 23 16 0 14 74
Peter Smyth 20 24 24 -- -- 68
Erland Sommarskog 36 19 -- 0 8 63
Jason Kreitzer -- -- -- 28 16 44
Marc Dashevsky -- -- 40 -- -- 40

--
Mark Brader | "[He] is my nation's leader ... i.e., the piece of
Toronto | clear tape at the beginning of a cassette that you