Grupos de Google ya no admite nuevas publicaciones ni suscripciones de Usenet. El contenido anterior sigue siendo visible.

RQFTCI07 Final Rounds 4,6: science, Canadiana

Visto 8 veces
Saltar al primer mensaje no leído

Mark Brader

no leída,
21 oct 2020, 0:29:3421/10/20
These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2007-04-02,
and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
by members of the Usual Suspects, but have been reformatted and
may have been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the
correct answers in about 3 days.

For further information, including an explanation of the """
notation that may appear in these rounds, see my 2020-06-23
companion posting on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

I wrote 4 triples in Round 4 and 3 triples in round 6.

** Final, Round 4 - Science

* Ancient Units of Measure

1. In the third century BC, Eratosthenes became the first person to
derive a measurement of the size of the Earth. Unfortunately we
don't know how accurate his result was, because we don't know the
exact length of his unit of measure, only that it was something
like five or six hundred feet. He calculated that the Earth's
circumference was 250,000 *what*?

2. Ancient Rome had units similar to our pound and foot, and both
of these had subsidiary units that were named using the same
word that meant 1/12 of anything. The two corresponding units
of British measure both have names derived from this Latin word;
give the Latin word.

3. This largish unit of weight, which is mentioned in the Bible,
was used by the Greeks and the Hebrews and was equivalent to
about 25 or 30 kilograms.

* Electronics Components

No, we're not asking about the ruler.

4. What are these <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f/electro1.jpg>?
5. What are these <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f/electro2.jpg>?
6. What are these <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f/electro3.jpg>?

* Physicists

From 1944 to 2004, 11 transuranic elements """have been""" given
names in honor of scientists. We will ask you about three of
those people, all physicists.

7. He was born in 1845 in Prussia and lived until 1923, and is
most famous for discovering X-rays, which he gave that name
because their nature was unknown. Who was he?

8. He was born in 1871 in New Zealand and lived until 1937. He
worked in England and Canada. He discovered that radioactivity
involves different types of radiation, two of which he named
alpha and beta radiation. By studying the deflection of alpha
rays, he then discovered that the atom contains a nucleus.
Name him.

9. He was born and died in Copenhagen, living 1885-1962. He took
the concept of an atom's structure devised by <answer 8>,
and applied Max Planck's theory of quantum physics to it.
This produced the theory that electrons are constrained to
occupy "shells", which in turn explained important aspects of
chemistry. He also suggested that fission and similar events
could be modeled by considering the nucleus as a drop of liquid.
Name him.

* Bones

10. The spine or vertebral column terminates with the coccyx
["KOK-six"] or tailbone; what is the large triangular bone
directly above it, inserted like a wedge between the hip bones?

11. In which part of the body are the parietal and occipital bones?
Be sufficiently specific.

12. Where are the atlas and axis bones?

* Liquid Elements

13. Mercury is one of two elements that are liquid at room
temperature. Name the other, a halogen element with a melting
point of -7°C and a boiling point of 59°C.

14. This element has the lowest boiling point of all and is the
only one that remains liquid, except under high pressure,
as the temperature approaches absolute zero.

15. What element has the highest melting point of all metals,
liquefying only at a temperature of just over 3,400°C?

** Final, Round 6 - Canadiana

* Towns

We'll give you the names of two cities or towns; you tell us what
province """they're""" both in.

1. Mt. Pearl; Grand Falls - Windsor.
2. Weyburn; Estevan.
3. Quesnel; Smithers.

* QEW

4. Rather than QEW, highway signs for the Queen Elizabeth Way
originally used a different sequence of initials. The same
initials also appeared on decorative lampposts, of which we
believe only a few remain and none on the road's present route.
What were these initials?

5. Who is the QEW named after? Be sufficiently specific, of course.
6. Where was the original southern terminus of the QEW?

* Shot in Toronto

This triple is about movies where filming locations in Toronto
represented settings in the United States.

7. John Houseman won an Oscar for this 1973 drama about law school
students. It was filmed in part at the University of Toronto.

8. This 1976 satirical drama won four Oscars, one of them a
posthumous award. Scenes set in a TV studio were filmed at CFTO.

9. For this more recent film, a boxing drama, one of Toronto's
Bay stores was disguised as Madison Square Garden and a
shantytown was built on the U of T's Scarborough Campus.

* Charter of Rights

10. Complete the section. Section 1: "The Canadian Charter of
Rights and Freedoms guarantees the rights and freedoms set out
in it subject only to such reasonable limits prescribed by law
as can be demonstrably justified in a..."

11. Section 2: "Everyone has the following fundamental freedoms:
(a) freedom of conscience and religion; (b) freedom of thought,
belief, opinion and expression, including freedom of the press
and other media of communication; (c) freedom of peaceful ____;
(d) freedom of ____." Fill in *either one* of the blanks.

12. Each of these two sections is completed by a pair of related
things. Name *any two* of the four things; don't worry about
fitting the grammatical form to the specific section. Section 8:
"Everyone has the right to be secure against unreasonable
____ or ____." Section 9: "Everyone has the right not to be
arbitrarily ____ or ____."

* Canadian Political Writers

13. This long-time national affairs columnist for the "Globe and
Mail" wrote "The Friendly Dictatorship", an examination of the
concentration of political power in Canada, particularly under
Jean Chrétien's Liberals. Name him.

14. This writer, who Conrad Black once said should be "horse-
whipped", """has written""" several books from a nationalist
and left-wing perspective, dealing with issues such as social
programs, taxation, globalization, and US oil policy. She is
"""currently""" a columnist for the Toronto Star.

15. This writer on political and military issues """has""" a PhD
in history and """has""" served in the navies of three countries.
He """writes""" a twice-weekly column on international affairs.

--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "Altruism is a fine motive, but if you want results,
m...@vex.net | greed works much better." -- Henry Spencer

Joshua Kreitzer

no leída,
21 oct 2020, 0:52:5921/10/20
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:pvednbx2vuC0JBLCnZ2dnUU7-
d3N...@giganews.com:

> ** Final, Round 4 - Science
>
> * Ancient Units of Measure
>
> 1. In the third century BC, Eratosthenes became the first person to
> derive a measurement of the size of the Earth. Unfortunately we
> don't know how accurate his result was, because we don't know the
> exact length of his unit of measure, only that it was something
> like five or six hundred feet. He calculated that the Earth's
> circumference was 250,000 *what*?

stadia

> 2. Ancient Rome had units similar to our pound and foot, and both
> of these had subsidiary units that were named using the same
> word that meant 1/12 of anything. The two corresponding units
> of British measure both have names derived from this Latin word;
> give the Latin word.

uncis

> * Electronics Components
>
> No, we're not asking about the ruler.
>
> 4. What are these <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f/electro1.jpg>?

transistors
transistors
transistors

> * Physicists
>
> From 1944 to 2004, 11 transuranic elements """have been""" given
> names in honor of scientists. We will ask you about three of
> those people, all physicists.
>
> 7. He was born in 1845 in Prussia and lived until 1923, and is
> most famous for discovering X-rays, which he gave that name
> because their nature was unknown. Who was he?

Roentgen

> 8. He was born in 1871 in New Zealand and lived until 1937. He
> worked in England and Canada. He discovered that radioactivity
> involves different types of radiation, two of which he named
> alpha and beta radiation. By studying the deflection of alpha
> rays, he then discovered that the atom contains a nucleus.
> Name him.

Rutherford

> 9. He was born and died in Copenhagen, living 1885-1962. He took
> the concept of an atom's structure devised by <answer 8>,
> and applied Max Planck's theory of quantum physics to it.
> This produced the theory that electrons are constrained to
> occupy "shells", which in turn explained important aspects of
> chemistry. He also suggested that fission and similar events
> could be modeled by considering the nucleus as a drop of liquid.
> Name him.

Bohr

> * Bones
>
> 11. In which part of the body are the parietal and occipital bones?
> Be sufficiently specific.

in the skull near the eye

> * Liquid Elements
>
> 13. Mercury is one of two elements that are liquid at room
> temperature. Name the other, a halogen element with a melting
> point of -7°C and a boiling point of 59°C.

bromine

> ** Final, Round 6 - Canadiana
>
> * QEW
>
> 5. Who is the QEW named after? Be sufficiently specific, of course.

Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother; Queen Elizabeth II

> * Shot in Toronto
>
> This triple is about movies where filming locations in Toronto
> represented settings in the United States.
>
> 7. John Houseman won an Oscar for this 1973 drama about law school
> students. It was filmed in part at the University of Toronto.

"The Paper Chase"

> 8. This 1976 satirical drama won four Oscars, one of them a
> posthumous award. Scenes set in a TV studio were filmed at CFTO.

"Network"

> * Charter of Rights
>
> 10. Complete the section. Section 1: "The Canadian Charter of
> Rights and Freedoms guarantees the rights and freedoms set out
> in it subject only to such reasonable limits prescribed by law
> as can be demonstrably justified in a..."
>
> 11. Section 2: "Everyone has the following fundamental freedoms:
> (a) freedom of conscience and religion; (b) freedom of thought,
> belief, opinion and expression, including freedom of the press
> and other media of communication; (c) freedom of peaceful ____;
> (d) freedom of ____." Fill in *either one* of the blanks.

assembly

> 12. Each of these two sections is completed by a pair of related
> things. Name *any two* of the four things; don't worry about
> fitting the grammatical form to the specific section. Section 8:
> "Everyone has the right to be secure against unreasonable
> ____ or ____." Section 9: "Everyone has the right not to be
> arbitrarily ____ or ____."

search, seizure

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

Dan Blum

no leída,
21 oct 2020, 9:44:5521/10/20
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> ** Final, Round 4 - Science

> * Ancient Units of Measure

> 1. In the third century BC, Eratosthenes became the first person to
> derive a measurement of the size of the Earth. Unfortunately we
> don't know how accurate his result was, because we don't know the
> exact length of his unit of measure, only that it was something
> like five or six hundred feet. He calculated that the Earth's
> circumference was 250,000 *what*?

stadia

> 3. This largish unit of weight, which is mentioned in the Bible,
> was used by the Greeks and the Hebrews and was equivalent to
> about 25 or 30 kilograms.

oxhide

> * Electronics Components

> No, we're not asking about the ruler.

> 4. What are these <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f/electro1.jpg>?

diodes
resistors
capacitors

> * Physicists

> 7. He was born in 1845 in Prussia and lived until 1923, and is
> most famous for discovering X-rays, which he gave that name
> because their nature was unknown. Who was he?

Wilhelm Roentgen

> 8. He was born in 1871 in New Zealand and lived until 1937. He
> worked in England and Canada. He discovered that radioactivity
> involves different types of radiation, two of which he named
> alpha and beta radiation. By studying the deflection of alpha
> rays, he then discovered that the atom contains a nucleus.
> Name him.

Ernest Rutherford

> 9. He was born and died in Copenhagen, living 1885-1962. He took
> the concept of an atom's structure devised by <answer 8>,
> and applied Max Planck's theory of quantum physics to it.
> This produced the theory that electrons are constrained to
> occupy "shells", which in turn explained important aspects of
> chemistry. He also suggested that fission and similar events
> could be modeled by considering the nucleus as a drop of liquid.
> Name him.

Niels Bohr

> * Bones

> 11. In which part of the body are the parietal and occipital bones?
> Be sufficiently specific.

skull

> 12. Where are the atlas and axis bones?

hand; foot

> * Liquid Elements

> 13. Mercury is one of two elements that are liquid at room
> temperature. Name the other, a halogen element with a melting
> point of -7?C and a boiling point of 59?C.

iodine

> 14. This element has the lowest boiling point of all and is the
> only one that remains liquid, except under high pressure,
> as the temperature approaches absolute zero.

hydrogen

> 15. What element has the highest melting point of all metals,
> liquefying only at a temperature of just over 3,400?C?

tungsten

> ** Final, Round 6 - Canadiana

> * Towns

> 1. Mt. Pearl; Grand Falls - Windsor.

Ontario

> 2. Weyburn; Estevan.

British Columbia; Newfoundland and Labrador

> 3. Quesnel; Smithers.

Saskatchewan; Manitoba

> * QEW

> 5. Who is the QEW named after? Be sufficiently specific, of course.

the wife of George VI

> * Shot in Toronto

> 7. John Houseman won an Oscar for this 1973 drama about law school
> students. It was filmed in part at the University of Toronto.

The Paper Chase

> 8. This 1976 satirical drama won four Oscars, one of them a
> posthumous award. Scenes set in a TV studio were filmed at CFTO.

Network

> * Charter of Rights

> 10. Complete the section. Section 1: "The Canadian Charter of
> Rights and Freedoms guarantees the rights and freedoms set out
> in it subject only to such reasonable limits prescribed by law
> as can be demonstrably justified in a..."

court of law

> 11. Section 2: "Everyone has the following fundamental freedoms:
> (a) freedom of conscience and religion; (b) freedom of thought,
> belief, opinion and expression, including freedom of the press
> and other media of communication; (c) freedom of peaceful ____;
> (d) freedom of ____." Fill in *either one* of the blanks.

assembly

> 12. Each of these two sections is completed by a pair of related
> things. Name *any two* of the four things; don't worry about
> fitting the grammatical form to the specific section. Section 8:
> "Everyone has the right to be secure against unreasonable
> ____ or ____." Section 9: "Everyone has the right not to be
> arbitrarily ____ or ____."

search and arrested

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Bruce Bowler

no leída,
21 oct 2020, 10:55:5821/10/20
On Tue, 20 Oct 2020 23:29:29 -0500, Mark Brader wrote:

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2007-04-02, and
> should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written by
> members of the Usual Suspects, but have been reformatted and may have
> been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the correct answers in
> about 3 days.
>
> For further information, including an explanation of the """ notation
> that may appear in these rounds, see my 2020-06-23 companion posting on
> "Reposted Questions from the Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".
>

> I wrote 4 triples in Round 4 and 3 triples in round 6.
>

> ** Final, Round 4 - Science
>
> * Ancient Units of Measure
>

> * Electronics Components
>
> No, we're not asking about the ruler.
>
> 4. What are these <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f/electro1.jpg>?

Capacitors
Resistors
Diodes

> * Physicists
>
> From 1944 to 2004, 11 transuranic elements """have been""" given names
> in honor of scientists. We will ask you about three of those people,
> all physicists.
>
> 7. He was born in 1845 in Prussia and lived until 1923, and is
> most famous for discovering X-rays, which he gave that name because
> their nature was unknown. Who was he?

Roentgen

> 8. He was born in 1871 in New Zealand and lived until 1937. He
> worked in England and Canada. He discovered that radioactivity
> involves different types of radiation, two of which he named alpha
> and beta radiation. By studying the deflection of alpha rays, he
> then discovered that the atom contains a nucleus.
> Name him.

Rutherford

> 9. He was born and died in Copenhagen, living 1885-1962. He took
> the concept of an atom's structure devised by <answer 8>,
> and applied Max Planck's theory of quantum physics to it.
> This produced the theory that electrons are constrained to occupy
> "shells", which in turn explained important aspects of chemistry. He
> also suggested that fission and similar events could be modeled by
> considering the nucleus as a drop of liquid. Name him.

Neils Bohr

> * Bones
>
> 10. The spine or vertebral column terminates with the coccyx
> ["KOK-six"] or tailbone; what is the large triangular bone directly
> above it, inserted like a wedge between the hip bones?

Sacrum

> 11. In which part of the body are the parietal and occipital bones?
> Be sufficiently specific.

skull

> 12. Where are the atlas and axis bones?

Top of the spinal column

> * Liquid Elements
>
> 13. Mercury is one of two elements that are liquid at room
> temperature. Name the other, a halogen element with a melting point
> of -7°C and a boiling point of 59°C.

bromine

> 14. This element has the lowest boiling point of all and is the
> only one that remains liquid, except under high pressure,
> as the temperature approaches absolute zero.

helium

> 15. What element has the highest melting point of all metals,
> liquefying only at a temperature of just over 3,400°C?

Carbon

> ** Final, Round 6 - Canadiana
>
> * Shot in Toronto
>
> This triple is about movies where filming locations in Toronto
> represented settings in the United States.
>
> 7. John Houseman won an Oscar for this 1973 drama about law school
> students. It was filmed in part at the University of Toronto.

Paper Chase

> 8. This 1976 satirical drama won four Oscars, one of them a
> posthumous award. Scenes set in a TV studio were filmed at CFTO.

Network

> * Charter of Rights
>
> 11. Section 2: "Everyone has the following fundamental freedoms:
> (a) freedom of conscience and religion; (b) freedom of thought,
> belief, opinion and expression, including freedom of the press and
> other media of communication; (c) freedom of peaceful ____; (d)
> freedom of ____." Fill in *either one* of the blanks.

assembly

> 12. Each of these two sections is completed by a pair of related
> things. Name *any two* of the four things; don't worry about fitting
> the grammatical form to the specific section. Section 8:
> "Everyone has the right to be secure against unreasonable ____ or
> ____." Section 9: "Everyone has the right not to be arbitrarily ____
> or ____."

search or seizure

Erland Sommarskog

no leída,
21 oct 2020, 14:41:3021/10/20
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> 4. What are these <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f/electro1.jpg>?

Condensators
Resistor
Diods

> * Physicists
>
> 7. He was born in 1845 in Prussia and lived until 1923, and is
> most famous for discovering X-rays, which he gave that name
> because their nature was unknown. Who was he?

Röntgen

> 8. He was born in 1871 in New Zealand and lived until 1937. He
> worked in England and Canada. He discovered that radioactivity
> involves different types of radiation, two of which he named
> alpha and beta radiation. By studying the deflection of alpha
> rays, he then discovered that the atom contains a nucleus.
> Name him.

Lawrence

> 9. He was born and died in Copenhagen, living 1885-1962. He took
> the concept of an atom's structure devised by <answer 8>,
> and applied Max Planck's theory of quantum physics to it.
> This produced the theory that electrons are constrained to
> occupy "shells", which in turn explained important aspects of
> chemistry. He also suggested that fission and similar events
> could be modeled by considering the nucleus as a drop of liquid.
> Name him.

Niels Bohrs

> 13. Mercury is one of two elements that are liquid at room
> temperature. Name the other, a halogen element with a melting
> point of -7°C and a boiling point of 59°C.

Bromine

> 14. This element has the lowest boiling point of all and is the
> only one that remains liquid, except under high pressure,
> as the temperature approaches absolute zero.

Helium

> 15. What element has the highest melting point of all metals,
> liquefying only at a temperature of just over 3,400°C?

Tungsten

> ** Final, Round 6 - Canadiana
>
> * Towns
>
> 1. Mt. Pearl; Grand Falls - Windsor.

ALberta

> 2. Weyburn; Estevan.

ALberta

> 3. Quesnel; Smithers.

ALberta

> 5. Who is the QEW named after? Be sufficiently specific, of course.

Queen Elizabeth II

Pete Gayde

no leída,
23 oct 2020, 16:43:4023/10/20
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:pvednbx2vuC0JBLCnZ2dnUU7-
d3N...@giganews.com:

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2007-04-02,
> and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
> by members of the Usual Suspects, but have been reformatted and
> may have been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the
> correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> For further information, including an explanation of the """
> notation that may appear in these rounds, see my 2020-06-23
> companion posting on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".
>

> I wrote 4 triples in Round 4 and 3 triples in round 6.
>

> ** Final, Round 4 - Science
>
> * Ancient Units of Measure
>
> 1. In the third century BC, Eratosthenes became the first person to
> derive a measurement of the size of the Earth. Unfortunately we
> don't know how accurate his result was, because we don't know the
> exact length of his unit of measure, only that it was something
> like five or six hundred feet. He calculated that the Earth's
> circumference was 250,000 *what*?

Leagues

> 2. Ancient Rome had units similar to our pound and foot, and both
> of these had subsidiary units that were named using the same
> word that meant 1/12 of anything. The two corresponding units
> of British measure both have names derived from this Latin word;
> give the Latin word.
>
> 3. This largish unit of weight, which is mentioned in the Bible,
> was used by the Greeks and the Hebrews and was equivalent to
> about 25 or 30 kilograms.
>

> * Electronics Components
>
> No, we're not asking about the ruler.
>
> 4. What are these <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f/electro1.jpg>?

Capacitors
Resistors
Diodes
Eye socket
Paper Chase
Pete Gayde

Dan Tilque

no leída,
23 oct 2020, 17:25:2823/10/20
On 10/20/20 9:29 PM, Mark Brader wrote:

> ** Final, Round 4 - Science
>
> * Ancient Units of Measure
>
> 1. In the third century BC, Eratosthenes became the first person to
> derive a measurement of the size of the Earth. Unfortunately we
> don't know how accurate his result was, because we don't know the
> exact length of his unit of measure, only that it was something
> like five or six hundred feet. He calculated that the Earth's
> circumference was 250,000 *what*?

stadions

> 2. Ancient Rome had units similar to our pound and foot, and both
> of these had subsidiary units that were named using the same
> word that meant 1/12 of anything. The two corresponding units
> of British measure both have names derived from this Latin word;
> give the Latin word.

uncia

> 3. This largish unit of weight, which is mentioned in the Bible,
> was used by the Greeks and the Hebrews and was equivalent to
> about 25 or 30 kilograms.

talent

> * Electronics Components
>
> No, we're not asking about the ruler.
>
> 4. What are these <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f/electro1.jpg>?

capacitors
resistors

> 6. What are these <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f/electro3.jpg>?
>

> * Physicists
>
> From 1944 to 2004, 11 transuranic elements """have been""" given
> names in honor of scientists. We will ask you about three of
> those people, all physicists.
>
> 7. He was born in 1845 in Prussia and lived until 1923, and is
> most famous for discovering X-rays, which he gave that name
> because their nature was unknown. Who was he?

Roentgen

> 8. He was born in 1871 in New Zealand and lived until 1937. He
> worked in England and Canada. He discovered that radioactivity
> involves different types of radiation, two of which he named
> alpha and beta radiation. By studying the deflection of alpha
> rays, he then discovered that the atom contains a nucleus.
> Name him.

Rutherford

> 9. He was born and died in Copenhagen, living 1885-1962. He took
> the concept of an atom's structure devised by <answer 8>,
> and applied Max Planck's theory of quantum physics to it.
> This produced the theory that electrons are constrained to
> occupy "shells", which in turn explained important aspects of
> chemistry. He also suggested that fission and similar events
> could be modeled by considering the nucleus as a drop of liquid.
> Name him.

Bohr

> * Bones
>
> 10. The spine or vertebral column terminates with the coccyx
> ["KOK-six"] or tailbone; what is the large triangular bone
> directly above it, inserted like a wedge between the hip bones?

pelvis

> 11. In which part of the body are the parietal and occipital bones?
> Be sufficiently specific.

back of the head

> 12. Where are the atlas and axis bones?

foot

> * Liquid Elements
>
> 13. Mercury is one of two elements that are liquid at room
> temperature. Name the other, a halogen element with a melting
> point of -7°C and a boiling point of 59°C.

bromine

> 14. This element has the lowest boiling point of all and is the
> only one that remains liquid, except under high pressure,
> as the temperature approaches absolute zero.

helium

> 15. What element has the highest melting point of all metals,
> liquefying only at a temperature of just over 3,400°C?

titanium

> ** Final, Round 6 - Canadiana
>
> * Towns
>
> We'll give you the names of two cities or towns; you tell us what
> province """they're""" both in.
>
> 1. Mt. Pearl; Grand Falls - Windsor.

New Brunswick

> 2. Weyburn; Estevan.

Nova Scotia

> 3. Quesnel; Smithers.

Quebec

> * QEW
>
> 4. Rather than QEW, highway signs for the Queen Elizabeth Way
> originally used a different sequence of initials. The same
> initials also appeared on decorative lampposts, of which we
> believe only a few remain and none on the road's present route.
> What were these initials?
>
> 5. Who is the QEW named after? Be sufficiently specific, of course.

George VI's wife

> 6. Where was the original southern terminus of the QEW?

Hamilton

> * Shot in Toronto
>
> This triple is about movies where filming locations in Toronto
> represented settings in the United States.
>
> 7. John Houseman won an Oscar for this 1973 drama about law school
> students. It was filmed in part at the University of Toronto.

The Paper Chase

> 8. This 1976 satirical drama won four Oscars, one of them a
> posthumous award. Scenes set in a TV studio were filmed at CFTO.
>
> 9. For this more recent film, a boxing drama, one of Toronto's
> Bay stores was disguised as Madison Square Garden and a
> shantytown was built on the U of T's Scarborough Campus.
>

> * Charter of Rights
>
> 10. Complete the section. Section 1: "The Canadian Charter of
> Rights and Freedoms guarantees the rights and freedoms set out
> in it subject only to such reasonable limits prescribed by law
> as can be demonstrably justified in a..."

court of law.

> 11. Section 2: "Everyone has the following fundamental freedoms:
> (a) freedom of conscience and religion; (b) freedom of thought,
> belief, opinion and expression, including freedom of the press
> and other media of communication; (c) freedom of peaceful ____;
> (d) freedom of ____." Fill in *either one* of the blanks.

assembly

> 12. Each of these two sections is completed by a pair of related
> things. Name *any two* of the four things; don't worry about
> fitting the grammatical form to the specific section. Section 8:
> "Everyone has the right to be secure against unreasonable
> ____ or ____." Section 9: "Everyone has the right not to be
> arbitrarily ____ or ____."

search, seizure

> * Canadian Political Writers
>
> 13. This long-time national affairs columnist for the "Globe and
> Mail" wrote "The Friendly Dictatorship", an examination of the
> concentration of political power in Canada, particularly under
> Jean Chrétien's Liberals. Name him.
>
> 14. This writer, who Conrad Black once said should be "horse-
> whipped", """has written""" several books from a nationalist
> and left-wing perspective, dealing with issues such as social
> programs, taxation, globalization, and US oil policy. She is
> """currently""" a columnist for the Toronto Star.
>
> 15. This writer on political and military issues """has""" a PhD
> in history and """has""" served in the navies of three countries.
> He """writes""" a twice-weekly column on international affairs.

--
Dan Tilque

Mark Brader

no leída,
24 oct 2020, 16:32:5824/10/20
Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2007-04-02,
> and should be interpreted accordingly... For further information...
> see my 2020-06-23 companion posting on "Reposted Questions from
> the Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

> I wrote 4 triples in Round 4 and 3 triples in round 6.

In Round 4 I wrote all except #10-12; in Round 6, I wrote questions
#4-12.

> ** Final, Round 4 - Science

> * Ancient Units of Measure

> 1. In the third century BC, Eratosthenes became the first person to
> derive a measurement of the size of the Earth. Unfortunately we
> don't know how accurate his result was, because we don't know the
> exact length of his unit of measure, only that it was something
> like five or six hundred feet. He calculated that the Earth's
> circumference was 250,000 *what*?

Stadia (or stadiums, stadions, or stades). 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum,
and Dan Tilque.

> 2. Ancient Rome had units similar to our pound and foot, and both
> of these had subsidiary units that were named using the same
> word that meant 1/12 of anything. The two corresponding units
> of British measure both have names derived from this Latin word;
> give the Latin word.

Uncia. (Hence "ounce", still 1/12 of a pound in troy measure, and
"inch". I decided to accept "uncis".) 4 for Joshua and Dan Tilque.

> 3. This largish unit of weight, which is mentioned in the Bible,
> was used by the Greeks and the Hebrews and was equivalent to
> about 25 or 30 kilograms.

Talent. 4 for Dan Tilque.

> * Electronics Components

> No, we're not asking about the ruler.

By the way, at the original game the actual components you see in
the images were handed around. The image backgrounds are blotchy
because I didn't have a digital camera when I adapted the round
for the newsgroup in 2008, and used a scanner instead.
Capacitors (or condensers, for the old-fashioned). 4 for Bruce,
Pete, and Dan Tilque. 3 for Erland.
Resistors. 4 for Dan Blum, Bruce, Erland, Pete, and Dan Tilque.
Diodes. I thought these would be the hardest to identify, except
that some of them have the diode symbol on them. 4 for Bruce,
Erland, and Pete.

> * Physicists

> From 1944 to 2004, 11 transuranic elements """have been""" given
> names in honor of scientists. We will ask you about three of
> those people, all physicists.

> 7. He was born in 1845 in Prussia and lived until 1923, and is
> most famous for discovering X-rays, which he gave that name
> because their nature was unknown. Who was he?

Wilhelm Röntgen. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, Bruce, Erland,
and Dan Tilque.

> 8. He was born in 1871 in New Zealand and lived until 1937. He
> worked in England and Canada. He discovered that radioactivity
> involves different types of radiation, two of which he named
> alpha and beta radiation. By studying the deflection of alpha
> rays, he then discovered that the atom contains a nucleus.
> Name him.

Ernest Rutherford. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, Bruce, and Dan Tilque.

> 9. He was born and died in Copenhagen, living 1885-1962. He took
> the concept of an atom's structure devised by <answer 8>,
> and applied Max Planck's theory of quantum physics to it.
> This produced the theory that electrons are constrained to
> occupy "shells", which in turn explained important aspects of
> chemistry. He also suggested that fission and similar events
> could be modeled by considering the nucleus as a drop of liquid.
> Name him.

Niels Bohr. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, Bruce, Erland, and Dan Tilque.

The other scientists with transuranic elements named after them up
to 2004 are: Pierre and Marie Curie, Albert Einstein, Enrico Fermi,
Ernest Lawrence, Lise Meitner, Dmitri Mendeleyev, Alfred Nobel, and
Glenn Seaborg. And there've been three more since then: Nicolaus
Copernicus, Georgy Flerov, and Yuri Oganessian.

> * Bones

> 10. The spine or vertebral column terminates with the coccyx
> ["KOK-six"] or tailbone; what is the large triangular bone
> directly above it, inserted like a wedge between the hip bones?

Sacrum. 4 for Bruce.

> 11. In which part of the body are the parietal and occipital bones?
> Be sufficiently specific.

They form the top and back of the skull. "Skull" was sufficient,
so I decided to score other parts of the skull as almost correct.
4 for Dan Blum, Bruce, and Dan Tilque. 3 for Joshua and Pete.

> 12. Where are the atlas and axis bones?

The neck. (They are the first and second cervical vertebrae.)
4 for Bruce.

> * Liquid Elements

> 13. Mercury is one of two elements that are liquid at room
> temperature. Name the other, a halogen element with a melting
> point of -7°C and a boiling point of 59°C.

Bromine. 4 for Joshua, Bruce, Erland, and Dan Tilque.

> 14. This element has the lowest boiling point of all and is the
> only one that remains liquid, except under high pressure,
> as the temperature approaches absolute zero.

Helium. 4 for Bruce, Erland, and Dan Tilque.

> 15. What element has the highest melting point of all metals,
> liquefying only at a temperature of just over 3,400°C?

Tungsten. 4 for Dan Blum and Erland.

> ** Final, Round 6 - Canadiana

> * Towns

> We'll give you the names of two cities or towns; you tell us what
> province """they're""" both in.

Nothing has changed here since the original game.

> 1. Mt. Pearl; Grand Falls - Windsor.

Newfoundland (and Labrador).

> 2. Weyburn; Estevan.

Saskatchewan.

> 3. Quesnel; Smithers.

British Columbia.

> * QEW

The Queen Elizabeth Way is the main highway from Toronto leading around
the west end of Lake Ontario to the St. Catharines - Niagara Falls -
Buffalo area, shaped like a mirror-image "?" mark minus the dot.

> 4. Rather than QEW, highway signs for the Queen Elizabeth Way
> originally used a different sequence of initials. The same
> initials also appeared on decorative lampposts, of which we
> believe only a few remain and none on the road's present route.
> What were these initials?

ER. (For Queen Elizabeth -- in Latin!)

See: http://www.thekingshighway.ca/IMAGES/QEW_old.jpg

> 5. Who is the QEW named after? Be sufficiently specific, of course.

Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother (wife of King George VI).
4 for Dan Blum and Dan Tilque. 3 for Joshua.

> 6. Where was the original southern terminus of the QEW?

Niagara Falls. (Near the Rainbow Bridge.)

Its present terminus is Fort Erie, leading to Buffalo via the Peace
Bridge. For about 15 years after the Fort Erie section was completed,
the road forked and led to both endpoints; then the Niagara branch
was redesignated Highway 420. Last time I looked there were still
some ER lampposts on that, as seen here:
http://www.alpsroads.net/roads/on/on_420/wlight.jpg

> * Shot in Toronto

> This triple is about movies where filming locations in Toronto
> represented settings in the United States.

> 7. John Houseman won an Oscar for this 1973 drama about law school
> students. It was filmed in part at the University of Toronto.

"The Paper Chase". 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, Bruce, Pete,
and Dan Tilque.

> 8. This 1976 satirical drama won four Oscars, one of them a
> posthumous award. Scenes set in a TV studio were filmed at CFTO.

"Network". 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, and Bruce.

> 9. For this more recent film, a boxing drama, one of Toronto's
> Bay stores was disguised as Madison Square Garden and a
> shantytown was built on the U of T's Scarborough Campus.

"Cinderella Man" (2005).

> * Charter of Rights

Nothing has changed here since the original game.

> 10. Complete the section. Section 1: "The Canadian Charter of
> Rights and Freedoms guarantees the rights and freedoms set out
> in it subject only to such reasonable limits prescribed by law
> as can be demonstrably justified in a..."

Free and democratic society. (Anything close was okay.)

> 11. Section 2: "Everyone has the following fundamental freedoms:
> (a) freedom of conscience and religion; (b) freedom of thought,
> belief, opinion and expression, including freedom of the press
> and other media of communication; (c) freedom of peaceful ____;
> (d) freedom of ____." Fill in *either one* of the blanks.

Assembly, association. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, Bruce, and Dan Tilque.

> 12. Each of these two sections is completed by a pair of related
> things. Name *any two* of the four things; don't worry about
> fitting the grammatical form to the specific section. Section 8:
> "Everyone has the right to be secure against unreasonable
> ____ or ____." Section 9: "Everyone has the right not to be
> arbitrarily ____ or ____."

Search or seizure, detained or imprisoned. ("Searched", "detention",
etc. were okay. "Arrest" was wrong, since we wanted a form of
the actual word, but I took it as almost correct if coupled with a
correct answer for one of the other words.) 4 for Joshua, Bruce,
and Dan Tilque. 3 for Dan Blum.

> * Canadian Political Writers

> 13. This long-time national affairs columnist for the "Globe and
> Mail" wrote "The Friendly Dictatorship", an examination of the
> concentration of political power in Canada, particularly under
> Jean Chrétien's Liberals. Name him.

Jeffery Simpson.

> 14. This writer, who Conrad Black once said should be "horse-
> whipped", """has written""" several books from a nationalist
> and left-wing perspective, dealing with issues such as social
> programs, taxation, globalization, and US oil policy. She is
> """currently""" a columnist for the Toronto Star.

Linda McQuaig. (Still true.)

> 15. This writer on political and military issues """has""" a PhD
> in history and """has""" served in the navies of three countries.
> He """writes""" a twice-weekly column on international affairs.

Gwynne Dyer. (Still true.)

Scores, if there are no errors:

FINAL ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 6 TOTALS
TOPICS-> Ent Geo Sci Can
Joshua Kreitzer 52 56 27 19 154
Dan Blum 26 42 28 19 115
Erland Sommarskog 4 44 31 0 79
Pete Gayde 6 43 15 4 68
Dan Tilque -- -- 44 16 60
Bruce Bowler -- -- 44 16 60

--
Mark Brader, Toronto "Dr. Slipher, I have found your Planet X."
m...@vex.net -- Clyde Tombaugh (1906-97), 1930-02-18