Calvin's Quiz #488

Calvin

May 30, 2017, 9:13:35 PM5/30/17

1 Which Indian state, bounded by Maharashtra, Karnataka and the Arabian Sea, is the smallest with an area of just 3,700 square km?
2 In metres per second squared, what is the value of "g", the acceleration that the Earth imparts to objects on or near its surface due to gravity (to one decimal place)?
3 The Passion Play is performed every 10 years in which German town?
4 What is the only US State that has the name of an English county in it?
5 Which member of Monty Python directed the 1985 film "Brazil"?
6 Which is the only mammal that can exist on an entirely liquid diet?
7 Which British nurse [1865-1915] helped some 200 Allied soldiers escape from occupied Belgium during the First World War before being executed by a German firing squad?
8 Which English author's works include "High Fidelity" (1995) and "About a Boy" (1998)?
9 What is measured using the SI unit ohms?
10 William Burke and William Hare infamously traded which items?

cheers,
calvin

Dan Blum

May 30, 2017, 10:58:26 PM5/30/17
Calvin <334...@gmail.com> wrote:

> 1 Which Indian state, bounded by Maharashtra, Karnataka and the Arabian Sea, is the smallest with an area of just 3,700 square km?

Goa

> 2 In metres per second squared, what is the value of "g", the acceleration that the Earth imparts to objects on or near its surface due to gravity (to one decimal place)?

9.8

> 3 The Passion Play is performed every 10 years in which German town?

Oberammergau

> 4 What is the only US State that has the name of an English county in it?

New Hampshire

> 5 Which member of Monty Python directed the 1985 film "Brazil"?

Terry Gilliam

> 6 Which is the only mammal that can exist on an entirely liquid diet?

vampire bat

> 8 Which English author's works include "High Fidelity" (1995) and "About a Boy" (1998)?

Nick Hornsby

> 9 What is measured using the SI unit ohms?

electrical resistance

> 10 William Burke and William Hare infamously traded which items?

human corpses

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Pete Gayde

May 31, 2017, 12:08:01 AM5/31/17
Calvin <334...@gmail.com> wrote in

> 1 Which Indian state, bounded by Maharashtra, Karnataka and the
> Arabian Sea, is the smallest with an area of just 3,700 square km?

Mumbai

> 2 In metres per second squared, what is the value of "g", the
> acceleration that the Earth imparts to objects on or near its surface
> due to gravity (to one decimal place)?
> 3 The Passion Play is performed every 10 years in which German
> town?

Oberammergau

> 4 What is the only
> US State that has the name of an English county in it?

New Hampshire

> 5 Which member of Monty Python directed the 1985 film "Brazil"?

Terry Gilliam

> 6 Which is the only mammal that can exist on an entirely liquid
> diet?

Human

> 7 Which
> British nurse [1865-1915] helped some 200 Allied soldiers escape from
> occupied Belgium during the First World War before being executed by a
> German firing squad?
> 8 Which English author's works include "High
> Fidelity" (1995) and "About a Boy" (1998)?
> 9 What is measured using the SI unit ohms?

Resistance

> 10 William Burke and William Hare
> infamously traded which items?

Wives

> cheers,
> calvin
>
> ---
> http://www.avg.com

Pete Gayde

Dan Tilque

May 31, 2017, 12:08:18 AM5/31/17
Calvin wrote:
> 1 Which Indian state, bounded by Maharashtra, Karnataka and the Arabian Sea, is the smallest with an area of just 3,700 square km?

Gujarat

> 2 In metres per second squared, what is the value of "g", the acceleration that the Earth imparts to objects on or near its surface due to gravity (to one decimal place)?

9.8 m/sec^2

> 3 The Passion Play is performed every 10 years in which German town?

Munich

> 4 What is the only US State that has the name of an English county in it?

New Hampshire (isn't this a repeat from a recent quiz?)

> 5 Which member of Monty Python directed the 1985 film "Brazil"?
> 6 Which is the only mammal that can exist on an entirely liquid diet?

baleen whales

--
Dan Tilque

Dan Tilque

May 31, 2017, 12:10:54 AM5/31/17
Dan Tilque wrote:
> Calvin wrote:
>> 1 Which Indian state, bounded by Maharashtra, Karnataka and the
>> Arabian Sea, is the smallest with an area of just 3,700 square km?
>
> Gujarat

Dammit. As soon as I hit "Send", I realized the answer is Goa.

--
Dan Tilque

Mark Brader

May 31, 2017, 1:45:31 AM5/31/17
Calvin:
> 1 Which Indian state, bounded by Maharashtra, Karnataka and the
> Arabian Sea, is the smallest with an area of just 3,700 square km?

Goa?

> 2 In metres per second squared, what is the value of "g", the
> acceleration that the Earth imparts to objects on or near its
> surface due to gravity (to one decimal place)?

9.8

> 3 The Passion Play is performed every 10 years in which German town?

Oberammergau. Actually, it has one *season* of performances every
10 years.

> 4 What is the only US State that has the name of an English county in it?

New Hampshire.

> 5 Which member of Monty Python directed the 1985 film "Brazil"?

Gilliam.

> 6 Which is the only mammal that can exist on an entirely liquid diet?

Vampire bat?

> 7 Which British nurse [1865-1915] helped some 200 Allied soldiers
> escape from occupied Belgium during the First World War before
> being executed by a German firing squad?

Cavell.

> 8 Which English author's works include "High Fidelity" (1995) and
> "About a Boy" (1998)?

Johnson.

> 9 What is measured using the SI unit ohms?

Electrical resistance.

> 10 William Burke and William Hare infamously traded which items?

Corpses.
--
Mark Brader "Do YOU trust US?"
Toronto "YES!! Well, we try to."

Peter Smyth

May 31, 2017, 2:57:38 AM5/31/17
Calvin wrote:

> 1 Which Indian state, bounded by Maharashtra, Karnataka and the
> Arabian Sea, is the smallest with an area of just 3,700 square km?
Goa

> 2 In metres per second squared, what is the value of "g", the
> acceleration that the Earth imparts to objects on or near its surface
> due to gravity (to one decimal place)?
9.8

> 3 The Passion Play is performed every 10 years in which German town?
>
> 4 What is the only US State that has the name of an English county
> in it?
New Hampshire

> 5 Which member of Monty Python directed the 1985 film "Brazil"?
Terry Gilliam

> 6 Which is the only mammal that can exist on an entirely liquid diet?
Humans

> 7 Which British nurse [1865-1915] helped some 200 Allied soldiers
> escape from occupied Belgium during the First World War before being
> executed by a German firing squad?
>
> 8 Which English author's works include "High Fidelity" (1995) and
> "About a Boy" (1998)?
Nick Hornby

> 9 What is measured using the SI unit ohms?
Resistance

> 10 William Burke and William Hare infamously traded which items?
Dead bodies

Peter Smyth

Erland Sommarskog

May 31, 2017, 3:18:25 AM5/31/17
Calvin (334...@gmail.com) writes:
> 1 Which Indian state, bounded by Maharashtra, Karnataka and the
> Arabian Sea, is the smallest with an area of just 3,700 square km?

Goa

> 2 In metres per second squared, what is the value of "g", the
> acceleration that the Earth imparts to objects on or near its surface
> due to gravity (to one decimal place)?

9.81

> 3 The Passion Play is performed every 10 years in which German town?

Regensburg

> 4 What is the only US State that has the name of an English county
> in it?

Kentucky

> 5 Which member of Monty Python directed the 1985 film "Brazil"?

Terry Gilliam

> 7 Which British nurse [1865-1915] helped some 200 Allied soldiers
> escape from occupied Belgium during the First World War before being
> executed by a German firing squad?

Florence Nightingale

> 9 What is measured using the SI unit ohms?

Resistance

> 10 William Burke and William Hare infamously traded which items?

Pictures of little girls

Marc Dashevsky

May 31, 2017, 4:44:24 AM5/31/17
In article <0ccb2e3f-72b2-496a...@googlegroups.com>, 334...@gmail.com says...

> 1 Which Indian state, bounded by Maharashtra, Karnataka and the Arabian Sea, is the smallest with an area of just 3,700 square km?
Goa

> 2 In metres per second squared, what is the value of "g", the acceleration that the Earth imparts to objects on or near its surface due to gravity (to one decimal place)?
32

> 3 The Passion Play is performed every 10 years in which German town?
> 4 What is the only US State that has the name of an English county in it?
New Hampshire

> 5 Which member of Monty Python directed the 1985 film "Brazil"?
Terry Gilliam

> 6 Which is the only mammal that can exist on an entirely liquid diet?
> 7 Which British nurse [1865-1915] helped some 200 Allied soldiers escape from occupied Belgium during the First World War before being executed by a German firing squad?
> 8 Which English author's works include "High Fidelity" (1995) and "About a Boy" (1998)?
> 9 What is measured using the SI unit ohms?
electrical resistance

> 10 William Burke and William Hare infamously traded which items?
>

> cheers,
> calvin

Bruce

May 31, 2017, 9:39:21 AM5/31/17
On Tue, 30 May 2017 18:13:34 -0700, Calvin wrote:

> 1 Which Indian state, bounded by Maharashtra, Karnataka and the
Arabian
> Sea, is the smallest with an area of just 3,700 square km?

Goa

> 2 In metres per second squared, what is the value of "g", the
> acceleration that the Earth imparts to objects on or near its surface
> due to gravity (to one decimal place)?

9.8

> 3 The Passion Play is performed every 10 years in which German town?
> 4 What is the only US State that has the name of an English county in
> it?

New Hampshire

> 5 Which member of Monty Python directed the 1985 film "Brazil"?
> 6 Which is the only mammal that can exist on an entirely liquid diet?

vampire bat

> 7 Which British nurse [1865-1915] helped some 200 Allied soldiers
escape
> from occupied Belgium during the First World War before being executed
> by a German firing squad?
> 8 Which English author's works include "High
> Fidelity" (1995) and "About a Boy" (1998)?
> 9 What is measured using the SI unit ohms?

resistance

Gareth Owen

Jun 1, 2017, 1:50:38 PM6/1/17
Calvin <334...@gmail.com> writes:

> 1 Which Indian state, bounded by Maharashtra, Karnataka and the
> Arabian Sea, is the smallest with an area of just 3,700 square km?

Goa

> 2 In metres per second squared, what is the value of "g", the
> acceleration that the Earth imparts to objects on or near its surface
> due to gravity (to one decimal place)?

9.8

> 3 The Passion Play is performed every 10 years in which German town?

Oberammegau (sp???)

> 4 What is the only US State that has the name of an English county in
> it?

New Hampshire

> 5 Which member of Monty Python directed the 1985 film "Brazil"?

Gilliam

> 6 Which is the only mammal that can exist on an entirely liquid diet?

David Boon

> 7 Which British nurse [1865-1915] helped some 200 Allied soldiers
> escape from occupied Belgium during the First World War before being
> executed by a German firing squad?

Edith Cavell

> 8 Which English author's works include "High Fidelity" (1995) and
> "About a Boy" (1998)?

Nick Hornby

> 9 What is measured using the SI unit ohms?

Electrical Resistance

> 10 William Burke and William Hare infamously traded which items?

Bodies

Calvin

Jun 6, 2017, 12:07:34 AM6/6/17
On Wednesday, May 31, 2017 at 11:13:35 AM UTC+10, Calvin wrote:

> 1 Which Indian state, bounded by Maharashtra, Karnataka and the Arabian Sea, is the smallest with an area of just 3,700 square km?

Goa

> 2 In metres per second squared, what is the value of "g", the acceleration that the Earth imparts to objects on or near its surface due to gravity (to one decimal place)?

9.8

> 3 The Passion Play is performed every 10 years in which German town?

Oberammergau
And as Mark pointed out, it's one *season* of plays rather than one individual performance

> 4 What is the only US State that has the name of an English county in it?

New Hampshire

> 5 Which member of Monty Python directed the 1985 film "Brazil"?

Terry Gilliam

> 6 Which is the only mammal that can exist on an entirely liquid diet?

Bat
but David Boon made me luagh :-)
https://tinyurl.com/yclbnwn5

> 7 Which British nurse [1865-1915] helped some 200 Allied soldiers escape from occupied Belgium during the First World War before being executed by a German firing squad?

Edith Cavell

> 8 Which English author's works include "High Fidelity" (1995) and "About a Boy" (1998)?

Nick Hornby

> 9 What is measured using the SI unit ohms?

[Electrical] Resistance

> 10 William Burke and William Hare infamously traded which items?

Cadavers, or similar

Q1 Q2 Q3 Q4 Q5 Q6 Q7 Q8 Q9 Q10 TOTAL TB Quiz 488
1 1 1 1 1 0 1 1 1 1 9 52 Gareth Owen
1 1 1 1 1 1 1 0 1 1 9 54 Mark Brader
1 1 1 1 1 1 0 1 1 1 9 55 Dan Blum
1 1 0 1 1 1 0 1 1 1 8 51 Peter Smyth
1 0 1 1 1 1 0 0 1 0 6 41 Pete Gayde
1 1 0 1 0 1 0 0 1 0 5 37 Bruce Bowler
1 1 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 0 4 31 Erland S
1 0 0 1 1 0 0 0 1 0 4 32 Marc Dashevsky
0 1 0 1 0 0 0 0 1 0 3 24 Dan Tilque
- - - - - - - - - - --- ----------
8 7 4 8 7 5 2 3 9 4 57 63%

Congratulations Gareth.

cheers,
calvin

Erland Sommarskog

Jun 6, 2017, 4:04:51 AM6/6/17
Calvin (334...@gmail.com) writes:
>> 4 What is the only US State that has the name of an English county
>> in it?
>
> New Hampshire

And Kent-ucky!

Please up my score by one.

Mark Brader

Jun 6, 2017, 6:08:14 AM6/6/17
"Calvin":
> >> 4 What is the only US State that has the name of an English county
> >> in it?
> >
> > New Hampshire

Erland Sommarskog:
> And Kent-ucky!

Ooh, well spotted! I actually went through all the states to see if
there were any more, and I still missed that one.

> Please up my score by one.

Yes, Calvin, do.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | Polly-ticks: Bloodsucking parasites that squawk
m...@vex.net | mindless slogans in place of thought. --Chris Vernell

Calvin

Jun 6, 2017, 9:49:26 PM6/6/17
On Tuesday, June 6, 2017 at 6:04:51 PM UTC+10, Erland Sommarskog wrote:
> Calvin (334...@gmail.com) writes:
> >> 4 What is the only US State that has the name of an English county
> >> in it?
> >
> > New Hampshire
> >

> And Kent-ucky!

Nice get! :-)

Q1 Q2 Q3 Q4 Q5 Q6 Q7 Q8 Q9 Q10 TOTAL TB Quiz 488
1 1 1 1 1 0 1 1 1 1 9 53 Gareth Owen
1 1 1 1 1 1 1 0 1 1 9 55 Mark Brader
1 1 1 1 1 1 0 1 1 1 9 56 Dan Blum
1 1 0 1 1 1 0 1 1 1 8 52 Peter Smyth