Calvin's Quiz #456

Calvin

Sep 7, 2016, 8:04:41 PM9/7/16

1 Which useful alloy commonly consists of 60% tin and 40% lead?
2 "What Becomes of the Broken Hearted?" was a sequel to which 1990 film?
3 Who co-starred with Heath Ledger in the 2008 movie "Brokeback Mountain"?
4 An Olympic decathlon is contested over how many days?
5 In 1947 Boulder Dam was officially re-named in honour of which former US president?
6 What flavouring is used in Frangelico liqueur?
7 If you travelled the "Road to Mandalay", which Asian country would you be in?
8 What 1973 film was Bruce Lee's last?
9 What planet is nearest in size to the Earth?
10 The first human heart transplant was performed in 1967 in which country?

cheers,
calvin

Mark Brader

Sep 7, 2016, 8:48:47 PM9/7/16
"Calvin":

> 1 Which useful alloy commonly consists of 60% tin and 40% lead?

Pewter.

> 2 "What Becomes of the Broken Hearted?" was a sequel to which
> 1990 film?

"The Unsuccessful Heart Surgeon". :-)

> 3 Who co-starred with Heath Ledger in the 2008 movie
> "Brokeback Mountain"?

Jake Gyllenhaal.

> 4 An Olympic decathlon is contested over how many days?

3?

> 5 In 1947 Boulder Dam was officially re-named in honour of
> which former US president?

Herbert Hoover.

> 6 What flavouring is used in Frangelico liqueur?

Anise?

> 7 If you travelled the "Road to Mandalay", which Asian country
> would you be in?

Malaysia?

> 8 What 1973 film was Bruce Lee's last?

"Enter the Dragon".

> 9 What planet is nearest in size to the Earth?

At one time the answer was Venus, but it may have changed now that so
many planets are being discovered in other solar systems; but if so,
I have no idea to what.

> 10 The first human heart transplant was performed in 1967 in
> which country?

South Africa.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto "A cow-orker of mine used to ood dogs."
m...@vex.net -- Steve Hayes

Pete

Sep 7, 2016, 9:19:31 PM9/7/16
Calvin <334...@gmail.com> wrote in

> 1 Which useful alloy commonly consists of 60% tin and 40% lead?

Pewter

> 2 "What Becomes of the Broken Hearted?" was a sequel to which 1990
> film?
> 3 Who co-starred with Heath Ledger in the 2008 movie
> "Brokeback Mountain"?

Jake Gyllenhall

2

> 5 In 1947 Boulder Dam was officially re-named in honour
> of which former US president?

Hoover

> 6 What flavouring is used in Frangelico liqueur?

Mint

> 7 If you travelled the "Road to Mandalay",
> which Asian country would you be in?

Myanmar

> 8 What 1973 film was Bruce Lee's last?
> 9 What planet is nearest in size to the Earth?

Venus

> 10 The first human heart transplant was performed in 1967 in which
> country?

South Africa

> cheers,
> calvin

Pete Gayde

Gareth Owen

Sep 8, 2016, 1:10:34 AM9/8/16
Calvin <334...@gmail.com> writes:

> 1 Which useful alloy commonly consists of 60% tin and 40% lead?

Solder?

> 2 "What Becomes of the Broken Hearted?" was a sequel to which 1990
> film?

Never heard of it

> 3 Who co-starred with Heath Ledger in the 2008 movie "Brokeback
> Mountain"?

Jake Gyllenhall (sp?)

> 4 An Olympic decathlon is contested over how many days?

Two

> 5 In 1947 Boulder Dam was officially re-named in honour of which
> former US president?

Hoover

> 6 What flavouring is used in Frangelico liqueur?

Orange?

> 7 If you travelled the "Road to Mandalay", which Asian country would
> you be in?

Malaysia??

> 8 What 1973 film was Bruce Lee's last?

Enter The Dragon

> 9 What planet is nearest in size to the Earth?

Earth. After that, Venus.

> 10 The first human heart transplant was performed in 1967 in which
> country?

South Africa

Gareth Owen

Sep 8, 2016, 1:11:07 AM9/8/16
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) writes:

>> 2 "What Becomes of the Broken Hearted?" was a sequel to which
>> 1990 film?
>
> "The Unsuccessful Heart Surgeon". :-)

:)

Marc Dashevsky

Sep 8, 2016, 1:25:50 AM9/8/16
In article <92806324-2369-4a61...@googlegroups.com>, 334...@gmail.com says...

> 1 Which useful alloy commonly consists of 60% tin and 40% lead?
solder

> 2 "What Becomes of the Broken Hearted?" was a sequel to which 1990 film?
> 3 Who co-starred with Heath Ledger in the 2008 movie "Brokeback Mountain"?
> 4 An Olympic decathlon is contested over how many days?
> 5 In 1947 Boulder Dam was officially re-named in honour of which former US president?
Hoover

> 6 What flavouring is used in Frangelico liqueur?
hazelnut

> 7 If you travelled the "Road to Mandalay", which Asian country would you be in?
Burma

> 8 What 1973 film was Bruce Lee's last?
> 9 What planet is nearest in size to the Earth?
Venus

> 10 The first human heart transplant was performed in 1967 in which country?
South Africa

> cheers,
> calvin

Dan Tilque

Sep 8, 2016, 2:29:22 AM9/8/16
Calvin wrote:
> 1 Which useful alloy commonly consists of 60% tin and 40% lead?

pewter

> 2 "What Becomes of the Broken Hearted?" was a sequel to which 1990 film?
> 3 Who co-starred with Heath Ledger in the 2008 movie "Brokeback Mountain"?
> 4 An Olympic decathlon is contested over how many days?

2

> 5 In 1947 Boulder Dam was officially re-named in honour of which former US president?

Herbert Hoover

> 6 What flavouring is used in Frangelico liqueur?
> 7 If you travelled the "Road to Mandalay", which Asian country would you be in?

Burma

> 8 What 1973 film was Bruce Lee's last?

Enter the Dragon

> 9 What planet is nearest in size to the Earth?

Venus

> 10 The first human heart transplant was performed in 1967 in which country?

South Africa

--
Dan Tilque

Dan Tilque

Sep 8, 2016, 2:41:02 AM9/8/16
Mark Brader wrote:
> "Calvin":

>> 9 What planet is nearest in size to the Earth?
>
> At one time the answer was Venus, but it may have changed now that so
> many planets are being discovered in other solar systems; but if so,
> I have no idea to what.

They never report error bars in the popular accounts about exoplanet
discoveries. I never bother to look them up, but I'd expect that all
such have huge error bars in terms of any reported sizes and masses. So
huge that I don't think we can really compare them to Solar System
bodies with any degree of confidence.

In other words, it doesn't make any sense to consider exoplanets for
this kind of question.

--
Dan Tilque

Erland Sommarskog

Sep 8, 2016, 3:04:46 AM9/8/16
Calvin (334...@gmail.com) writes:
> 4 An Olympic decathlon is contested over how many days?

Two

> 7 If you travelled the "Road to Mandalay", which Asian country would
> you be in?

Burma

> 9 What planet is nearest in size to the Earth?

Venus

> 10 The first human heart transplant was performed in 1967 in which
> country?

South Africa

Mark Brader

Sep 8, 2016, 9:42:34 AM9/8/16
"Calvin":
>>> 9 What planet is nearest in size to the Earth?

Mark Brader:
>> At one time the answer was Venus, but it may have changed now that so
>> many planets are being discovered in other solar systems; but if so,
>> I have no idea to what.

Dan Tilque:
> They never report error bars in the popular accounts about exoplanet
> discoveries. I never bother to look them up, but I'd expect that all
> such have huge error bars in terms of any reported sizes and masses...

Ah, but the question didn't ask only about *known* information! :-)
--
Mark Brader | The "I didn't think of that" type of failure occurs because
Toronto | I didn't think of that, and the reason I didn't think of it
| think of 'em, we would have. -- John W. Campbell

Peter Smyth

Sep 8, 2016, 1:29:45 PM9/8/16
Calvin wrote:

> 1 Which useful alloy commonly consists of 60% tin and 40% lead?
Pewter
> 2 "What Becomes of the Broken Hearted?" was a sequel to which 1990
> film?
>
> 3 Who co-starred with Heath Ledger in the 2008 movie "Brokeback
> Mountain"?
>
> 4 An Olympic decathlon is contested over how many days?
2
> 5 In 1947 Boulder Dam was officially re-named in honour of which
> former US president?
Hoover
> 6 What flavouring is used in Frangelico liqueur?
Orange
> 7 If you travelled the "Road to Mandalay", which Asian country would
> you be in?
Burma / Myanmar
> 8 What 1973 film was Bruce Lee's last?
The Crow
> 9 What planet is nearest in size to the Earth?
Venus
> 10 The first human heart transplant was performed in 1967 in which
> country?
South Africa

Peter Smyth

Erland Sommarskog

Sep 8, 2016, 2:43:54 PM9/8/16
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> Ah, but the question didn't ask only about *known* information! :-)

Yup. Thus, the only correct answer is "I haven't a single clue - and nor
has anyone else".

Gareth Owen

Sep 8, 2016, 3:05:45 PM9/8/16
Erland Sommarskog <esq...@sommarskog.se> writes:

> Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
>> Ah, but the question didn't ask only about *known* information! :-)
>
> Yup. Thus, the only correct answer is "I haven't a single clue - and nor
> has anyone else".

Then I'm doubling down on my answer of "Earth"

Mark Brader

Sep 8, 2016, 3:10:54 PM9/8/16
"Calvin":
> > 9 What planet is nearest in size to the Earth?

Mark Brader:
> At one time the answer was Venus, but it may have changed now that so
> many planets are being discovered in other solar systems; but if so,
> I have no idea to what.

Just for fun, I googled for a catalog of exoplanets and found one at:
http://exoplanet.eu/catalog

Setting it to show mass and radius in terms of the Earth's, and sorting
by mass, I found the following planets for which there is a known mass
and a known radius, and both are within a factor of 2 of Earth's.

PLANET MASS RADIUS
Kepler-102 f 0.64 0.89
Kepler-70 c 0.67 0.87
KOI-2700 b 0.86 1.06
Kepler-42 d 0.95 0.57
Kepler-138 c 1.01 1.61
Kepler-138 d 1.01 1.61
GJ 1132 b 1.6 1.15
Kepler-78 b 1.69 1.2
Kepler-177 b 1.7 2.9
Kepler-11 b 1.9 1.8
Kepler-42 c 1.9 0.73
Kepler-167 d 1.9 1.194

As you see, of this list Kepler-138 c and d are closest in size to
Earth if you take "size" to mean mass, but KOI-2700 b is the closest
in terms of radius and definitely the closest if both parameters are
taken into account.

For comparison we have:

Venus 0.81 0.95

So Venus is not as close to Earth in mass as KOI-2700 b is, but it
is a bit closer in radius.

Of course, this tabulation assumes that the measurements are
accurate to the precision shown, which (as Dan Tilque points out)
is not necessarily true.

The catalog also includes a large number of other planets where only
the mass or only the radius is known. Only a few of these have
masses close to 1 Earth mass, but quite a lot have radii close to
1 Earth radius. So some of them might be better candidates for an
answer, if only we knew.
--
Mark Brader | "I was gratified to be able to answer promptly, and I did.
Toronto | I said I didn't know."

Erland Sommarskog

Sep 8, 2016, 5:06:31 PM9/8/16
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> The catalog also includes a large number of other planets where only
> the mass or only the radius is known. Only a few of these have
> masses close to 1 Earth mass, but quite a lot have radii close to
> 1 Earth radius. So some of them might be better candidates for an
> answer, if only we knew.

And then there may be a planet in another galaxy which is more or less
a clone of Earth, but we which would not be able to observe, even if
we were able to look into that galaxy with our telescopes, because at
the point in time we can observed, that solar system is still under
construction.

Dan Tilque

Sep 8, 2016, 6:04:54 PM9/8/16
Erland Sommarskog wrote:

> And then there may be a planet in another galaxy which is more or less
> a clone of Earth, but we which would not be able to observe, even if
> we were able to look into that galaxy with our telescopes, because at
> the point in time we can observed, that solar system is still under
> construction.

Considering the likely number (trillions) of planets in *this* galaxy,
it's virtually certain there's at least one clone of Earth among them.
More likely there's thousands or even millions, although the exact
number depends on how close they have to be to be considered a clone.
But that's only counting size and mass. They may or may not be clones in
other ways. For example, they may have wildly different amount of water
or density of atmosphere. And they may or may not have life on them.

--
Dan Tilque

Chris F.A. Johnson

Sep 8, 2016, 8:08:03 PM9/8/16
On 2016-09-08, Calvin wrote:

> 1 Which useful alloy commonly consists of 60% tin and 40% lead?

Pewter

> 2 "What Becomes of the Broken Hearted?" was a sequel to which 1990 film?
> 3 Who co-starred with Heath Ledger in the 2008 movie "Brokeback Mountain"?

Jake Gyllenhall and Randy Quaid

> 4 An Olympic decathlon is contested over how many days?

5

> 5 In 1947 Boulder Dam was officially re-named in honour of which former US president?

Hoover

> 6 What flavouring is used in Frangelico liqueur?

Banana

> 7 If you travelled the "Road to Mandalay", which Asian country would you be in?

Myanmar/Burma

> 8 What 1973 film was Bruce Lee's last?

Enter the Dragon

> 9 What planet is nearest in size to the Earth?

Venus (in this solar system)

> 10 The first human heart transplant was performed in 1967 in which country?

South Africa

--
Chris F.A. Johnson

Calvin

Sep 14, 2016, 6:18:23 PM9/14/16
On Thursday, September 8, 2016 at 10:04:41 AM UTC+10, Calvin wrote:

> 1 Which useful alloy commonly consists of 60% tin and 40% lead?

Solder

> 2 "What Becomes of the Broken Hearted?" was a sequel to which 1990 film?

Once Were Warriors
It clearly wasn't too well known internationally.

> 3 Who co-starred with Heath Ledger in the 2008 movie "Brokeback Mountain"?

Jake Gyllenhaal

> 4 An Olympic decathlon is contested over how many days?

2

> 5 In 1947 Boulder Dam was officially re-named in honour of which former US president?

Herbert Hoover

> 6 What flavouring is used in Frangelico liqueur?

Hazelnut
Singleton for Marc

> 7 If you travelled the "Road to Mandalay", which Asian country would you be in?

Burma / Myanmar

> 8 What 1973 film was Bruce Lee's last?

Enter the Dragon

> 9 What planet is nearest in size to the Earth?

Venus
Within 1 parsec anyway

> 10 The first human heart transplant was performed in 1967 in which country?

South Africa

Q1 Q2 Q3 Q4 Q5 Q6 Q7 Q8 Q9 Q10 TOTAL TB Quiz 456
1 0 1 1 1 0 0 1 1 1 7 38 Gareth Owen
1 0 0 0 1 1 1 0 1 1 6 32 Marc Dashevsky
0 0 1 0 1 0 1 1 1 1 6 37 Chris Johnson
0 0 1 1 1 0 1 0 1 1 6 38 Pete Gayde
0 0 0 1 1 0 1 1 1 1 6 38 Dan Tilque
0 0 1 0 1 0 0 1 1 1 5 31 Mark Brader
0 0 0 1 1 0 1 0 1 1 5 34 Peter Smyth
0 0 0 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 4 27 Erland S
- - - - - - - - - - --- ----------
2 0 4 5 7 1 6 4 8 8 45 56%

Congratulations Gareth.

cheers,
calvin

Mark Brader

Sep 14, 2016, 9:53:51 PM9/14/16
"Calvin":
> > 1 Which useful alloy commonly consists of 60% tin and 40% lead?
>
> Solder

Protest. All the solder I've ever used has been lead-free.

Unfortunately for my answer, there is also lead-free pewter these days
and the question was in the present sense. But at one time the above
composition would have been within the possible range for pewter.
--
Mark Brader | "Debugging had to be discovered. I can remember
Toronto | the exact instant when I realized that a large part
| mistakes in my own programs." -- Maurice Wilkes

Calvin

Sep 15, 2016, 9:40:38 PM9/15/16
On Thursday, September 15, 2016 at 11:53:51 AM UTC+10, Mark Brader wrote:
> "Calvin":
> > > 1 Which useful alloy commonly consists of 60% tin and 40% lead?
> >
> > Solder
>
> Protest. All the solder I've ever used has been lead-free.

The question could have better worded I agree.

> Unfortunately for my answer, there is also lead-free pewter these days
> and the question was in the present sense. But at one time the above
> composition would have been within the possible range for pewter.

I can't find any source to support that. Can you?

regards,
calvin

Mark Brader

Sep 15, 2016, 10:29:12 PM9/15/16
"Calvin":
>>> Solder

Mark Brader:
>> Protest. All the solder I've ever used has been lead-free.
> > Unfortunately for my answer, there is also lead-free pewter these days
> > and the question was in the present sense. But at one time the above
> > composition would have been within the possible range for pewter.

"Calvin":
> I can't find any source to support that. Can you?

Britannica here says "about" 70% tin and 30% lead:

http://www.britannica.com/technology/pewter

And this page says "up to 50%" lead:

http://www.ramshornstudio.com/pewter.htm

So 60-40 would be in range.
--
Mark Brader | "It is not worth an intelligent man's time to be in the majority.
Toronto | By definition, there are already enough people to do that."

Calvin

Sep 19, 2016, 12:57:06 AM9/19/16
On Friday, September 16, 2016 at 12:29:12 PM UTC+10, Mark Brader wrote:
> "Calvin":
>
> Mark Brader:
> >> Protest. All the solder I've ever used has been lead-free.
> > > Unfortunately for my answer, there is also lead-free pewter these days
> > > and the question was in the present sense. But at one time the above
> > > composition would have been within the possible range for pewter.
>
> "Calvin":
> > I can't find any source to support that. Can you?
>
> Britannica here says "about" 70% tin and 30% lead:
>
> http://www.britannica.com/technology/pewter
>
> And this page says "up to 50%" lead:
>
> http://www.ramshornstudio.com/pewter.htm
>
> So 60-40 would be in range.

Agreed. The revised scores are:

Q1 Q2 Q3 Q4 Q5 Q6 Q7 Q8 Q9 Q10 TOTAL TB Quiz 456
1 0 1 1 1 0 0 1 1 1 7 43 Gareth Owen
1 0 1 0 1 0 1 1 1 1 7 44 Chris Johnson
1 0 1 1 1 0 1 0 1 1 7 45 Pete Gayde
1 0 0 1 1 0 1 1 1 1 7 45 Dan Tilque