QFTCIMI515 Final, Round 9: Miscellaneous

Mark Brader

Jul 25, 2015, 3:30:36 PM7/25/15
These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2015-03-30,
and should be interpreted accordingly.

Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
the correct answers in about 3 days (from the first posting).

All questions were written by members of MI5, and are used here by
permission, but have been reformatted and may have been retyped
and/or edited by me. For further information see my 2015-02-23
companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian Inquisition
(QFTCI*)".

** Final, Round 9 - Miscellaneous

* Chefs Who Write

All chefs cook; some also write. We'll give you the titles of
two books. You give us the name of the chef/author who wrote them.

1. "Medium Raw", "Kitchen Confidential".

2. "My Life in France", "Mastering the Art of French Cooking".

3. "Roasting in Hell's Kitchen", "Playing with Fire".

* Movie Trilogies

We name two movies from a trilogy; you name the other one.

4. The Hannibal Lecter movies starring Anthony Hopkins:
"The Silence of the Lambs", "Hannibal", and ...?

5. Robert Rodriguez's "Mariachi" trilogy: "El Mariachi",
"Desperado", and ...?

6. Sergio Leone's "Dollars" or "Man with No Name" trilogy:
"For a Few Dollars More", "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly",
and ...?

* Word Rebuses

In these puzzles, the object is to discern a familiar word, phrase,
or saying from each arrangement of letters. Various forms of
wordplay are possible. For example, "HO USE" might represent
"a house divided" and "CHEE CHEE" in large letters might be
"big cheese" (from CHEEs).

7. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-9/rebus/7.png
8. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-9/rebus/8.png
9. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-9/rebus/9.png

* Medieval Warfare

In each case name the weapon.

10. A medieval mace had bumps or flanges on its head, but not
spikes, and was not mounted on a wooden shaft. Name the similar
weapon that was mounted on a shaft and did have a spiked head.

11. This medieval weapon, also known as a Swiss voulge or pole ax,
consisted of an ax blade topped with a spike mounted on a long
shaft or pole. It always had a hook or thorn on the back side
of the ax blade, for grappling mounted combatants.

12. This medieval weapon, also known as a crow's foot, was made up
of two or more sharp nails or spines arranged in such a manner
that one of them always points upward from a stable base.
They were part of defenses that served to slow the advances
of horses.

* Canadian Folklore & Legends

13. French Canadian folktales often feature a loup-garou.
What's that?

14. In the late 19th century, citizens of Biddulph Township and
the village of Lucan appear to have murdered an entire family
who were hated and feared for their violent natures. Or maybe
it was the citizens who had the fearfully violent natures.
In any case, what was the name of this family?

15. What is the name given to a cryptid lake monster reported
to live in Okanagan Lake in British Columbia? This monster
has allegedly been seen by First Nations people since the
19th century. The most common description is a sea serpent
40-50 feet long. Answer in English or Salish.

--
Mark Brader "Poor spelling does not prove poor knowledge,
Toronto but is fatal to the argument by intimidation."

swp

Jul 25, 2015, 4:36:09 PM7/25/15
On Saturday, July 25, 2015 at 3:30:36 PM UTC-4, Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2015-03-30,
> and should be interpreted accordingly.

noted. as is your signature on this posting.

> ** Final, Round 9 - Miscellaneous
>
> * Chefs Who Write
>
> All chefs cook; some also write. We'll give you the titles of
> two books. You give us the name of the chef/author who wrote them.
>
> 1. "Medium Raw", "Kitchen Confidential".

anthony bourdain

> 2. "My Life in France", "Mastering the Art of French Cooking".

julia child

> 3. "Roasting in Hell's Kitchen", "Playing with Fire".

gordon ramsay

> * Movie Trilogies
>
> We name two movies from a trilogy; you name the other one.
>
> 4. The Hannibal Lecter movies starring Anthony Hopkins:
> "The Silence of the Lambs", "Hannibal", and ...?

red dragon

> 5. Robert Rodriguez's "Mariachi" trilogy: "El Mariachi",
> "Desperado", and ...?

once upon a time in mexico

> 6. Sergio Leone's "Dollars" or "Man with No Name" trilogy:
> "For a Few Dollars More", "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly",
> and ...?

a fistful of dollars (the correct name of this trilogy is 'a fistful of ugly')

> * Word Rebuses
>
> In these puzzles, the object is to discern a familiar word, phrase,
> or saying from each arrangement of letters. Various forms of
> wordplay are possible. For example, "HO USE" might represent
> "a house divided" and "CHEE CHEE" in large letters might be
> "big cheese" (from CHEEs).

these will be very difficult for non-native english speakers

> 7. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-9/rebus/7.png

one in a million

> 8. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-9/rebus/8.png

high seas

> 9. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-9/rebus/9.png

six of one, a half dozen of the other

> * Medieval Warfare
>
> In each case name the weapon.
>
> 10. A medieval mace had bumps or flanges on its head, but not
> spikes, and was not mounted on a wooden shaft. Name the similar
> weapon that was mounted on a shaft and did have a spiked head.

morning star

> 11. This medieval weapon, also known as a Swiss voulge or pole ax,
> consisted of an ax blade topped with a spike mounted on a long
> shaft or pole. It always had a hook or thorn on the back side
> of the ax blade, for grappling mounted combatants.

halberd

> 12. This medieval weapon, also known as a crow's foot, was made up
> of two or more sharp nails or spines arranged in such a manner
> that one of them always points upward from a stable base.
> They were part of defenses that served to slow the advances
> of horses.

caltrops

> * Canadian Folklore & Legends
>
> 13. French Canadian folktales often feature a loup-garou.
> What's that?

werewolf

> 14. In the late 19th century, citizens of Biddulph Township and
> the village of Lucan appear to have murdered an entire family
> who were hated and feared for their violent natures. Or maybe
> it was the citizens who had the fearfully violent natures.
> In any case, what was the name of this family?

donnelly (the black donnelly's, from ireland)

> 15. What is the name given to a cryptid lake monster reported
> to live in Okanagan Lake in British Columbia? This monster
> has allegedly been seen by First Nations people since the
> 19th century. The most common description is a sea serpent
> 40-50 feet long. Answer in English or Salish.

ogopogo

> --
> Mark Brader "Poor spelling does not prove poor knowledge,
> Toronto but is fatal to the argument by intimidation."
> m...@vex.net -- Gene Ward Smith

poor spelling can be overcome, or mostly so in my (lower) case.

swp

Jason Kreitzer

Jul 25, 2015, 5:47:28 PM7/25/15
On Saturday, July 25, 2015 at 3:30:36 PM UTC-4, Mark Brader wrote:
Hannibal Rising
> 5. Robert Rodriguez's "Mariachi" trilogy: "El Mariachi",
> "Desperado", and ...?
Once Upon a Time in Mexico
> 6. Sergio Leone's "Dollars" or "Man with No Name" trilogy:
> "For a Few Dollars More", "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly",
> and ...?
A Fistful of Dollars

> * Word Rebuses
>
> In these puzzles, the object is to discern a familiar word, phrase,
> or saying from each arrangement of letters. Various forms of
> wordplay are possible. For example, "HO USE" might represent
> "a house divided" and "CHEE CHEE" in large letters might be
> "big cheese" (from CHEEs).
>
> 7. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-9/rebus/7.png
One in a Million

Peter Smyth

Jul 25, 2015, 6:18:10 PM7/25/15
Mark Brader wrote:

> ** Final, Round 9 - Miscellaneous
>
> * Chefs Who Write
>
> All chefs cook; some also write. We'll give you the titles of
> two books. You give us the name of the chef/author who wrote them.
>
> 1. "Medium Raw", "Kitchen Confidential".
>
> 2. "My Life in France", "Mastering the Art of French Cooking".
>
> 3. "Roasting in Hell's Kitchen", "Playing with Fire".
Gordon Ramsay

> * Movie Trilogies
>
> We name two movies from a trilogy; you name the other one.
>
> 4. The Hannibal Lecter movies starring Anthony Hopkins:
> "The Silence of the Lambs", "Hannibal", and ...?
>
> 5. Robert Rodriguez's "Mariachi" trilogy: "El Mariachi",
> "Desperado", and ...?
>
> 6. Sergio Leone's "Dollars" or "Man with No Name" trilogy:
> "For a Few Dollars More", "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly",
> and ...?
>

> * Word Rebuses
>
> In these puzzles, the object is to discern a familiar word, phrase,
> or saying from each arrangement of letters. Various forms of
> wordplay are possible. For example, "HO USE" might represent
> "a house divided" and "CHEE CHEE" in large letters might be
> "big cheese" (from CHEEs).
>
> 7. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-9/rebus/7.png
> 8. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-9/rebus/8.png
> 9. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-9/rebus/9.png
Six of one and half a dozen of the other

> * Medieval Warfare
>
> In each case name the weapon.
>
> 10. A medieval mace had bumps or flanges on its head, but not
> spikes, and was not mounted on a wooden shaft. Name the similar
> weapon that was mounted on a shaft and did have a spiked head.
>
> 11. This medieval weapon, also known as a Swiss voulge or pole ax,
> consisted of an ax blade topped with a spike mounted on a long
> shaft or pole. It always had a hook or thorn on the back side
> of the ax blade, for grappling mounted combatants.
Halberd
> 12. This medieval weapon, also known as a crow's foot, was made up
> of two or more sharp nails or spines arranged in such a manner
> that one of them always points upward from a stable base.
> They were part of defenses that served to slow the advances
> of horses.
Caltrop

> * Canadian Folklore & Legends
>
> 13. French Canadian folktales often feature a loup-garou.
> What's that?
>
> 14. In the late 19th century, citizens of Biddulph Township and
> the village of Lucan appear to have murdered an entire family
> who were hated and feared for their violent natures. Or maybe
> it was the citizens who had the fearfully violent natures.
> In any case, what was the name of this family?
>
> 15. What is the name given to a cryptid lake monster reported
> to live in Okanagan Lake in British Columbia? This monster
> has allegedly been seen by First Nations people since the
> 19th century. The most common description is a sea serpent
> 40-50 feet long. Answer in English or Salish.

Peter Smyth

Joshua Kreitzer

Jul 25, 2015, 11:10:34 PM7/25/15
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:_dedndXr3pVGfi7InZ2dnUU7-U-
dn...@vex.net:

> ** Final, Round 9 - Miscellaneous
>
> * Chefs Who Write
>
> All chefs cook; some also write. We'll give you the titles of
> two books. You give us the name of the chef/author who wrote them.
>
> 1. "Medium Raw", "Kitchen Confidential".

Anthony Bourdain

> 2. "My Life in France", "Mastering the Art of French Cooking".

Julia Child

> 3. "Roasting in Hell's Kitchen", "Playing with Fire".

Gordon Ramsay

> * Movie Trilogies
>
> We name two movies from a trilogy; you name the other one.
>
> 4. The Hannibal Lecter movies starring Anthony Hopkins:
> "The Silence of the Lambs", "Hannibal", and ...?

"Red Dragon"

> 5. Robert Rodriguez's "Mariachi" trilogy: "El Mariachi",
> "Desperado", and ...?

"From Dusk Til Dawn"

> 6. Sergio Leone's "Dollars" or "Man with No Name" trilogy:
> "For a Few Dollars More", "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly",
> and ...?

"A Fistful of Dollars"

> * Word Rebuses
>
> In these puzzles, the object is to discern a familiar word, phrase,
> or saying from each arrangement of letters. Various forms of
> wordplay are possible. For example, "HO USE" might represent
> "a house divided" and "CHEE CHEE" in large letters might be
> "big cheese" (from CHEEs).
>
> 7. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-9/rebus/7.png

six of one, half a dozen of the other

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

Dan Blum

Jul 25, 2015, 11:41:43 PM7/25/15
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> ** Final, Round 9 - Miscellaneous

> * Chefs Who Write

> 1. "Medium Raw", "Kitchen Confidential".

Anthony Bourdain

> 2. "My Life in France", "Mastering the Art of French Cooking".

Julia Child

> * Movie Trilogies

> We name two movies from a trilogy; you name the other one.

> 4. The Hannibal Lecter movies starring Anthony Hopkins:
> "The Silence of the Lambs", "Hannibal", and ...?

Red Dragon

> 6. Sergio Leone's "Dollars" or "Man with No Name" trilogy:
> "For a Few Dollars More", "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly",
> and ...?

A Fistful of Dollars

> * Word Rebuses

it's either one or the other

> * Medieval Warfare

> In each case name the weapon.

> 10. A medieval mace had bumps or flanges on its head, but not
> spikes, and was not mounted on a wooden shaft. Name the similar
> weapon that was mounted on a shaft and did have a spiked head.

morningstar

> 11. This medieval weapon, also known as a Swiss voulge or pole ax,
> consisted of an ax blade topped with a spike mounted on a long
> shaft or pole. It always had a hook or thorn on the back side
> of the ax blade, for grappling mounted combatants.

guisarme; glaive

> 12. This medieval weapon, also known as a crow's foot, was made up
> of two or more sharp nails or spines arranged in such a manner
> that one of them always points upward from a stable base.
> They were part of defenses that served to slow the advances
> of horses.

caltrop

> * Canadian Folklore & Legends

> 13. French Canadian folktales often feature a loup-garou.
> What's that?

werewolf

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Marc Dashevsky

Jul 26, 2015, 3:46:58 AM7/26/15
In article <_dedndXr3pVGfi7I...@vex.net>, m...@vex.net says...
> ** Final, Round 9 - Miscellaneous
>
> * Chefs Who Write
>
> All chefs cook; some also write. We'll give you the titles of
> two books. You give us the name of the chef/author who wrote them.
>
> 1. "Medium Raw", "Kitchen Confidential".
>
> 2. "My Life in France", "Mastering the Art of French Cooking".
Julia Child

> 3. "Roasting in Hell's Kitchen", "Playing with Fire".
Gordon Ramsay

> * Movie Trilogies
>
> We name two movies from a trilogy; you name the other one.
>
> 4. The Hannibal Lecter movies starring Anthony Hopkins:
> "The Silence of the Lambs", "Hannibal", and ...?
>
> 5. Robert Rodriguez's "Mariachi" trilogy: "El Mariachi",
> "Desperado", and ...?
Once Upon a Time in Mexico

> 6. Sergio Leone's "Dollars" or "Man with No Name" trilogy:
> "For a Few Dollars More", "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly",
> and ...?
A Fistful of Dollars

> * Word Rebuses
>
> In these puzzles, the object is to discern a familiar word, phrase,
> or saying from each arrangement of letters. Various forms of
> wordplay are possible. For example, "HO USE" might represent
> "a house divided" and "CHEE CHEE" in large letters might be
> "big cheese" (from CHEEs).
>
> 7. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-9/rebus/7.png
six of one; half dozen of the other

> * Medieval Warfare
>
> In each case name the weapon.
>
> 10. A medieval mace had bumps or flanges on its head, but not
> spikes, and was not mounted on a wooden shaft. Name the similar
> weapon that was mounted on a shaft and did have a spiked head.
>
> 11. This medieval weapon, also known as a Swiss voulge or pole ax,
> consisted of an ax blade topped with a spike mounted on a long
> shaft or pole. It always had a hook or thorn on the back side
> of the ax blade, for grappling mounted combatants.
halberd

> 12. This medieval weapon, also known as a crow's foot, was made up
> of two or more sharp nails or spines arranged in such a manner
> that one of them always points upward from a stable base.
> They were part of defenses that served to slow the advances
> of horses.
calthrop

> * Canadian Folklore & Legends
>
> 13. French Canadian folktales often feature a loup-garou.
> What's that?
werewolf

> 14. In the late 19th century, citizens of Biddulph Township and
> the village of Lucan appear to have murdered an entire family
> who were hated and feared for their violent natures. Or maybe
> it was the citizens who had the fearfully violent natures.
> In any case, what was the name of this family?
>
> 15. What is the name given to a cryptid lake monster reported
> to live in Okanagan Lake in British Columbia? This monster
> has allegedly been seen by First Nations people since the
> 19th century. The most common description is a sea serpent
> 40-50 feet long. Answer in English or Salish.

Dan Tilque

Jul 26, 2015, 4:32:34 AM7/26/15
Mark Brader wrote:

> ** Final, Round 9 - Miscellaneous
>
> * Chefs Who Write
>
> All chefs cook; some also write. We'll give you the titles of
> two books. You give us the name of the chef/author who wrote them.
>
> 1. "Medium Raw", "Kitchen Confidential".
>
> 2. "My Life in France", "Mastering the Art of French Cooking".

Julia Child

> 3. "Roasting in Hell's Kitchen", "Playing with Fire".
>

> * Movie Trilogies
>
> We name two movies from a trilogy; you name the other one.
>
> 4. The Hannibal Lecter movies starring Anthony Hopkins:
> "The Silence of the Lambs", "Hannibal", and ...?

My Dinner with Andre :)

> 5. Robert Rodriguez's "Mariachi" trilogy: "El Mariachi",
> "Desperado", and ...?
>
> 6. Sergio Leone's "Dollars" or "Man with No Name" trilogy:
> "For a Few Dollars More", "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly",
> and ...?

A Fist Full of Dollars

> * Word Rebuses
>
> In these puzzles, the object is to discern a familiar word, phrase,
> or saying from each arrangement of letters. Various forms of
> wordplay are possible. For example, "HO USE" might represent
> "a house divided" and "CHEE CHEE" in large letters might be
> "big cheese" (from CHEEs).
>
> 7. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-9/rebus/7.png

six of one, half a dozen of the other

> * Medieval Warfare
>
> In each case name the weapon.
>
> 10. A medieval mace had bumps or flanges on its head, but not
> spikes, and was not mounted on a wooden shaft. Name the similar
> weapon that was mounted on a shaft and did have a spiked head.

morningstar

> 11. This medieval weapon, also known as a Swiss voulge or pole ax,
> consisted of an ax blade topped with a spike mounted on a long
> shaft or pole. It always had a hook or thorn on the back side
> of the ax blade, for grappling mounted combatants.

pike

> 12. This medieval weapon, also known as a crow's foot, was made up
> of two or more sharp nails or spines arranged in such a manner
> that one of them always points upward from a stable base.
> They were part of defenses that served to slow the advances
> of horses.

caltrop

> * Canadian Folklore & Legends
>
> 13. French Canadian folktales often feature a loup-garou.
> What's that?

werewolf

(there wolf, there castle)

> 14. In the late 19th century, citizens of Biddulph Township and
> the village of Lucan appear to have murdered an entire family
> who were hated and feared for their violent natures. Or maybe
> it was the citizens who had the fearfully violent natures.
> In any case, what was the name of this family?
>
> 15. What is the name given to a cryptid lake monster reported
> to live in Okanagan Lake in British Columbia? This monster
> has allegedly been seen by First Nations people since the
> 19th century. The most common description is a sea serpent
> 40-50 feet long. Answer in English or Salish.

Ogopogo

--
Dan Tilque

Dan Tilque

Jul 26, 2015, 4:39:27 AM7/26/15
Dan Blum wrote:
> Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:
>
>> 11. This medieval weapon, also known as a Swiss voulge or pole ax,
>> consisted of an ax blade topped with a spike mounted on a long
>> shaft or pole. It always had a hook or thorn on the back side
>> of the ax blade, for grappling mounted combatants.
>
> guisarme; glaive

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0136.html

note especially panel 12.

--
Dan Tilque

Mark Brader

Jul 26, 2015, 5:04:27 AM7/26/15
Dan Blum:
> > guisarme; glaive

Dan Tilque:
> http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0136.html
> note especially panel 12.

I think you're drifting into duodecimal numbers.
--
Mark Brader "It is hard to believe that any Biblical passage,
Toronto no matter how powerful, could make an entire

Björn Lundin

Jul 26, 2015, 8:12:20 AM7/26/15
On 2015-07-25 21:30, Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2015-03-30,

> Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days (from the first posting).
>
> All questions were written by members of MI5, and are used here by
> permission, but have been reformatted and may have been retyped
> and/or edited by me. For further information see my 2015-02-23
> companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian Inquisition
> (QFTCI*)".
>

> ** Final, Round 9 - Miscellaneous
>
> * Chefs Who Write
>
> All chefs cook; some also write. We'll give you the titles of
> two books. You give us the name of the chef/author who wrote them.
>
> 1. "Medium Raw", "Kitchen Confidential".
Gordon Ramsey

> 2. "My Life in France", "Mastering the Art of French Cooking".
Gordon Ramsey

> 3. "Roasting in Hell's Kitchen", "Playing with Fire".
Gordon Ramsey

> * Movie Trilogies
>
> We name two movies from a trilogy; you name the other one.
>
> 4. The Hannibal Lecter movies starring Anthony Hopkins:
> "The Silence of the Lambs", "Hannibal", and ...?

Lector

> 5. Robert Rodriguez's "Mariachi" trilogy: "El Mariachi",
> "Desperado", and ...?
>
> 6. Sergio Leone's "Dollars" or "Man with No Name" trilogy:
> "For a Few Dollars More", "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly",
> and ...?

translations again ...
"För en handfull dollar" which I hope translates to
For a handful of dollar

> * Word Rebuses
>
> In these puzzles, the object is to discern a familiar word, phrase,
> or saying from each arrangement of letters. Various forms of
> wordplay are possible. For example, "HO USE" might represent
> "a house divided" and "CHEE CHEE" in large letters might be
> "big cheese" (from CHEEs).
>
> 7. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-9/rebus/7.png
> 8. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-9/rebus/8.png

ZZ-top

> 9. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-9/rebus/9.png
>

> * Medieval Warfare
>
> In each case name the weapon.
>
> 10. A medieval mace had bumps or flanges on its head, but not
> spikes, and was not mounted on a wooden shaft. Name the similar
> weapon that was mounted on a shaft and did have a spiked head.

Spikklubba - Nail club ?

> 11. This medieval weapon, also known as a Swiss voulge or pole ax,
> consisted of an ax blade topped with a spike mounted on a long
> shaft or pole. It always had a hook or thorn on the back side
> of the ax blade, for grappling mounted combatants.

hillebard - no idea for suitable translation

> 12. This medieval weapon, also known as a crow's foot, was made up
> of two or more sharp nails or spines arranged in such a manner
> that one of them always points upward from a stable base.
> They were part of defenses that served to slow the advances
> of horses.
>

> * Canadian Folklore & Legends
>
> 13. French Canadian folktales often feature a loup-garou.
> What's that?

Giant Beaver ?

> 14. In the late 19th century, citizens of Biddulph Township and
> the village of Lucan appear to have murdered an entire family
> who were hated and feared for their violent natures. Or maybe
> it was the citizens who had the fearfully violent natures.
> In any case, what was the name of this family?
>
> 15. What is the name given to a cryptid lake monster reported
> to live in Okanagan Lake in British Columbia? This monster
> has allegedly been seen by First Nations people since the
> 19th century. The most common description is a sea serpent
> 40-50 feet long. Answer in English or Salish.

Björn

Pete

Jul 26, 2015, 2:48:22 PM7/26/15
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:_dedndXr3pVGfi7InZ2dnUU7-U-
dn...@vex.net:

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2015-03-30,

> Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days (from the first posting).
>
> All questions were written by members of MI5, and are used here by
> permission, but have been reformatted and may have been retyped
> and/or edited by me. For further information see my 2015-02-23
> companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian Inquisition
> (QFTCI*)".
>

> ** Final, Round 9 - Miscellaneous
>
> * Chefs Who Write
>
> All chefs cook; some also write. We'll give you the titles of
> two books. You give us the name of the chef/author who wrote them.
>
> 1. "Medium Raw", "Kitchen Confidential".
>
> 2. "My Life in France", "Mastering the Art of French Cooking".

Julia Child

> 3. "Roasting in Hell's Kitchen", "Playing with Fire".

Flay

> * Movie Trilogies
>
> We name two movies from a trilogy; you name the other one.
>
> 4. The Hannibal Lecter movies starring Anthony Hopkins:
> "The Silence of the Lambs", "Hannibal", and ...?
>
> 5. Robert Rodriguez's "Mariachi" trilogy: "El Mariachi",
> "Desperado", and ...?
>
> 6. Sergio Leone's "Dollars" or "Man with No Name" trilogy:
> "For a Few Dollars More", "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly",
> and ...?

Fistful of Dollars

> * Word Rebuses
>
> In these puzzles, the object is to discern a familiar word, phrase,
> or saying from each arrangement of letters. Various forms of
> wordplay are possible. For example, "HO USE" might represent
> "a house divided" and "CHEE CHEE" in large letters might be
> "big cheese" (from CHEEs).
>
> 7. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-9/rebus/7.png

One in a million

> 8. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-9/rebus/8.png

High Seas

> 9. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-9/rebus/9.png

You can't have one without the other
Pete

swp

Jul 26, 2015, 3:25:41 PM7/26/15
On Sunday, July 26, 2015 at 4:32:34 AM UTC-4, Dan Tilque wrote:
> Mark Brader wrote:
> > * Canadian Folklore & Legends
> >
> > 13. French Canadian folktales often feature a loup-garou.
> > What's that?
>
> werewolf
>
> (there wolf, there castle)

here a wolf, there a wolf, everywhere a wolf wolf.
old macdonald had a farm, e-i-e-i-o.

swp

swp

Jul 26, 2015, 3:31:14 PM7/26/15
On Sunday, July 26, 2015 at 8:12:20 AM UTC-4, björn lundin wrote:
> On 2015-07-25 21:30, Mark Brader wrote:
> > 8. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-9/rebus/8.png
>
> ZZ-top

I would dearly love to know how you arrived at this one..

> > * Medieval Warfare
> >
> > In each case name the weapon.
> >
> > 10. A medieval mace had bumps or flanges on its head, but not
> > spikes, and was not mounted on a wooden shaft. Name the similar
> > weapon that was mounted on a shaft and did have a spiked head.
>
> Spikklubba - Nail club ?

the word you have used is a flower, which in english is called "jimsonweed" and does have little spikes on the petals. this is just one of those things that I find amusing for no real reason.

swp

Björn Lundin

Jul 26, 2015, 4:06:46 PM7/26/15
On 2015-07-26 21:31, swp wrote:
> On Sunday, July 26, 2015 at 8:12:20 AM UTC-4, björn lundin wrote:
>> On 2015-07-25 21:30, Mark Brader wrote:
>>> 8. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-9/rebus/8.png
>>
>> ZZ-top
>
> I would dearly love to know how you arrived at this one..

There are c's at top. and some of you pronounce z as c...

>>> * Medieval Warfare
>>>
>>> In each case name the weapon.
>>>
>>> 10. A medieval mace had bumps or flanges on its head, but not
>>> spikes, and was not mounted on a wooden shaft. Name the similar
>>> weapon that was mounted on a shaft and did have a spiked head.
>>
>> Spikklubba - Nail club ?
>
> the word you have used is a flower, which in english is called "jimsonweed" and does have little spikes on the petals. this is just one of those things that I find amusing for no real reason.

Seems that just googling for 'spikklubba' gets you a flower.
but this one is what I was after (even though is a masquerade boutique)
<http://www.bodega.se/maskerad/maskeradtillbehor/vapen-kappar/battle-weapon.html>

it is mentioned here to
<https://sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stridsklubba#Spikklubba.2C_.C3.A4ven_kallad_morgonstj.C3.A4rna>

it is here also referred to as morning star which I saw someone answer
Never heard of that one. Turns out to be a flower too...

Björn

swp

Jul 26, 2015, 4:42:46 PM7/26/15
On Sunday, July 26, 2015 at 4:06:46 PM UTC-4, björn lundin wrote:
> On 2015-07-26 21:31, swp wrote:
> >>
> >> ZZ-top
> >
> > I would dearly love to know how you arrived at this one..
>
> There are c's at top. and some of you pronounce z as c...

'c' is sometimes pronounced like 'k' and sometimes like 's'. the letter itself is sounded out when reciting the alphabet in english as "sea", which this rebus uses.

I have never thought of how kids use 'z' in place of 's' to take that next step like you did. very clever. wrong, but still very clever.

swp

Erland Sommarskog

Jul 26, 2015, 5:38:37 PM7/26/15
Björn Lundin (b.f.l...@gmail.com) writes:
> There are c's at top. and some of you pronounce z as c...

Nah, depends on whom you mean with "you". If you are talking to an English-
speaking person this is plain nonsense. But for speakers of languages that
does not have the phoneme /z/ (that is, voiced /s/), it is possible to
make this mistake. Examples of such languages are Spanish, Finnish, and,
yes, you guessed it, Swedish.

(I guess what Björn is referring to is that left-ponders usually name the
letter Z as Zee, in difference to Zet that is used in Britain. But as noted,
Björn missed the fine detail about the voicing.)

Björn Lundin

Jul 26, 2015, 6:07:22 PM7/26/15
On 2015-07-26 23:38, Erland Sommarskog wrote:
> Björn Lundin (b.f.l...@gmail.com) writes:
>> There are c's at top. and some of you pronounce z as c...
>>

> Nah, depends on whom you mean with "you". If you are talking to an English-
> speaking person this is plain nonsense. But for speakers of languages that
> does not have the phoneme /z/ (that is, voiced /s/), it is possible to
> make this mistake. Examples of such languages are Spanish, Finnish, and,
> yes, you guessed it, Swedish.

This, I don't get.

> (I guess what Björn is referring to is that left-ponders usually name the
> letter Z as Zee, in difference to Zet that is used in Britain.

This is a correct guess.
But what I have heard, most North-americans say

'see' or 'sea' for both c and z
while the British usually say
'see' or 'sea' for c
and 'zed' for z

> But as noted,
> Björn missed the fine detail about the voicing.)

Still, I don't get this part.
The voicing, I just hear that in British z.

Perhaps someone with English as mother-tongue can enlighten me?

--
Björn

Chris F.A. Johnson

Jul 26, 2015, 6:30:03 PM7/26/15
On 2015-07-26, Bj??rn Lundin wrote:
> On 2015-07-26 23:38, Erland Sommarskog wrote:
>> Bj??rn Lundin (b.f.l...@gmail.com) writes:
>>> There are c's at top. and some of you pronounce z as c...
>>>

>> Nah, depends on whom you mean with "you". If you are talking to an English-
>> speaking person this is plain nonsense. But for speakers of languages that
>> does not have the phoneme /z/ (that is, voiced /s/), it is possible to
>> make this mistake. Examples of such languages are Spanish, Finnish, and,
>> yes, you guessed it, Swedish.
>
> This, I don't get.
>

>> (I guess what Bj??rn is referring to is that left-ponders usually name the
>> letter Z as Zee, in difference to Zet that is used in Britain.
>
> This is a correct guess.
> But what I have heard, most North-americans say
>
> 'see' or 'sea' for both c and z

North Americans say SEE for C.

USAnians say ZEE for Z; Canadians (mostly) say ZED.

--
Chris F.A. Johnson

Calvin

Jul 26, 2015, 8:36:31 PM7/26/15
On Sunday, July 26, 2015 at 5:30:36 AM UTC+10, Mark Brader wrote:

> ** Final, Round 9 - Miscellaneous
>
> * Chefs Who Write
>
> All chefs cook; some also write. We'll give you the titles of
> two books. You give us the name of the chef/author who wrote them.
>
> 1. "Medium Raw", "Kitchen Confidential".

Stewart, Oliver

> 2. "My Life in France", "Mastering the Art of French Cooking".

Stewart, Oliver

> 3. "Roasting in Hell's Kitchen", "Playing with Fire".

Ramsay

> * Movie Trilogies
>
> We name two movies from a trilogy; you name the other one.
>
> 4. The Hannibal Lecter movies starring Anthony Hopkins:
> "The Silence of the Lambs", "Hannibal", and ...?
>
> 5. Robert Rodriguez's "Mariachi" trilogy: "El Mariachi",
> "Desperado", and ...?
>
> 6. Sergio Leone's "Dollars" or "Man with No Name" trilogy:
> "For a Few Dollars More", "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly",
> and ...?

A Fistful of Dollars

> * Word Rebuses
>
> In these puzzles, the object is to discern a familiar word, phrase,
> or saying from each arrangement of letters. Various forms of
> wordplay are possible. For example, "HO USE" might represent
> "a house divided" and "CHEE CHEE" in large letters might be
> "big cheese" (from CHEEs).
>
> 7. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-9/rebus/7.png
> 8. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-9/rebus/8.png

I want it to be "These go to 11" :-)

> * Medieval Warfare
>
> In each case name the weapon.
>
> 10. A medieval mace had bumps or flanges on its head, but not
> spikes, and was not mounted on a wooden shaft. Name the similar
> weapon that was mounted on a shaft and did have a spiked head.
>
> 11. This medieval weapon, also known as a Swiss voulge or pole ax,
> consisted of an ax blade topped with a spike mounted on a long
> shaft or pole. It always had a hook or thorn on the back side
> of the ax blade, for grappling mounted combatants.
>
> 12. This medieval weapon, also known as a crow's foot, was made up
> of two or more sharp nails or spines arranged in such a manner
> that one of them always points upward from a stable base.
> They were part of defenses that served to slow the advances
> of horses.

Calthrop
Named after me as it happens

> * Canadian Folklore & Legends

Bah!

cheers,
calvin

Erland Sommarskog

Jul 27, 2015, 2:58:01 AM7/27/15
Björn Lundin (b.f.l...@gmail.com) writes:
> But what I have heard, most North-americans say
>
> 'see' or 'sea' for both c and z

They more likely say 'see' for c and 'zee' for z. I don't have any first-
hand evidence around, but it is clear from Stephen's response that there
is a mental difference between 'see' and 'zee'. This is necessarily not
voicing; there can be other qualities that distinguishes the two phonemes,
although I don't know exactly what this would be right now.

bbowler

Jul 27, 2015, 11:25:59 AM7/27/15
On Sat, 25 Jul 2015 14:30:35 -0500, Mark Brader wrote:

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2015-03-30, and
> should be interpreted accordingly.
>
> On each question you may give up to two answers, but if you give both a
> right answer and a wrong answer, there is a small penalty. Please post
> all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
> based only on your own knowledge. (In your answer posting, quote the
> questions and place your answer below each one.) I will reveal the
> correct answers in about 3 days (from the first posting).
>
> All questions were written by members of MI5, and are used here by
> permission, but have been reformatted and may have been retyped and/or
> edited by me. For further information see my 2015-02-23 companion
> posting on "Questions from the Canadian Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> ** Final, Round 9 - Miscellaneous
>
> * Chefs Who Write
>
> All chefs cook; some also write. We'll give you the titles of two
> books. You give us the name of the chef/author who wrote them.
>
> 1. "Medium Raw", "Kitchen Confidential".

Anthony Bourdain

> 2. "My Life in France", "Mastering the Art of French Cooking".

Julia Child

> 3. "Roasting in Hell's Kitchen", "Playing with Fire".

Gordon Ramsey

> * Movie Trilogies
>
> We name two movies from a trilogy; you name the other one.
>
> 4. The Hannibal Lecter movies starring Anthony Hopkins:
> "The Silence of the Lambs", "Hannibal", and ...?

Manhunter

> 5. Robert Rodriguez's "Mariachi" trilogy: "El Mariachi",
> "Desperado", and ...?
>
> 6. Sergio Leone's "Dollars" or "Man with No Name" trilogy:
> "For a Few Dollars More", "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly",
> and ...?

Fist Full of Dollars

> * Word Rebuses
>
> In these puzzles, the object is to discern a familiar word, phrase,
> or saying from each arrangement of letters. Various forms of wordplay
> are possible. For example, "HO USE" might represent "a house divided"
> and "CHEE CHEE" in large letters might be "big cheese" (from CHEEs).
>
> 7. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-9/rebus/7.png

High seas

> 9. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-9/rebus/9.png

six of one, half a dozen of the other

> * Medieval Warfare
>
> In each case name the weapon.
>
> 10. A medieval mace had bumps or flanges on its head, but not
> spikes, and was not mounted on a wooden shaft. Name the similar
> weapon that was mounted on a shaft and did have a spiked head.

Morning star

> 11. This medieval weapon, also known as a Swiss voulge or pole ax,
> consisted of an ax blade topped with a spike mounted on a long shaft
> or pole. It always had a hook or thorn on the back side of the ax
> blade, for grappling mounted combatants.
>
> 12. This medieval weapon, also known as a crow's foot, was made up
> of two or more sharp nails or spines arranged in such a manner that
> one of them always points upward from a stable base.
> They were part of defenses that served to slow the advances of
> horses.
>

> * Canadian Folklore & Legends
>
> 13. French Canadian folktales often feature a loup-garou.
> What's that?

werewolf (there wolf - said in your best Marty Feldmann accent)

Mark Brader

Jul 28, 2015, 2:09:20 PM7/28/15
Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2015-03-30,
> see my 2015-02-23 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

Hearty congratulations! Stephen Perry has racked up a perfect
round to clinch this game even before the last round is posted.

> ** Final, Round 9 - Miscellaneous

> * Chefs Who Write

> All chefs cook; some also write. We'll give you the titles of
> two books. You give us the name of the chef/author who wrote them.

> 1. "Medium Raw", "Kitchen Confidential".

Anthony Bourdain. 4 for Stephen, Joshua, Dan Blum, and Bruce.

> 2. "My Life in France", "Mastering the Art of French Cooking".

Julia Child. 4 for Stephen, Joshua, Dan Blum, Marc, Dan Tilque,
Pete, and Bruce.

> 3. "Roasting in Hell's Kitchen", "Playing with Fire".

Gordon Ramsay. 4 for Stephen, Peter, Joshua, Marc, Björn, Calvin,
and Bruce.

> * Movie Trilogies

> We name two movies from a trilogy; you name the other one.

> 4. The Hannibal Lecter movies starring Anthony Hopkins:
> "The Silence of the Lambs", "Hannibal", and ...?

"Red Dragon". 4 for Stephen, Joshua, and Dan Blum.

Chuckle points for "My Dinner with Andre".

"Hannibal Rising" was a prequel and starred Gaspard Ulliel as Lecter.
"Manhunter" was an earlier adaptation of the novel "Red Dragon" and
starred Brian Cox as Lecktor [sic].

> 5. Robert Rodriguez's "Mariachi" trilogy: "El Mariachi",
> "Desperado", and ...?

"Once Upon a Time in Mexico". 4 for Stephen, Jason, and Marc.

> 6. Sergio Leone's "Dollars" or "Man with No Name" trilogy:
> "For a Few Dollars More", "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly",
> and ...?

"A Fistful of Dollars". 4 for Stephen, Jason, Joshua, Dan Blum,
Marc, Dan Tilque, Pete, Calvin, and Bruce. 3 for Björn.

> * Word Rebuses

> In these puzzles, the object is to discern a familiar word, phrase,
> or saying from each arrangement of letters. Various forms of
> wordplay are possible. For example, "HO USE" might represent
> "a house divided" and "CHEE CHEE" in large letters might be
> "big cheese" (from CHEEs).

> 7. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-9/rebus/7.png

"One in a million". 4 for Stephen, Jason, Joshua, Dan Blum, Marc,
Dan Tilque, Pete, and Bruce.

> 8. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-9/rebus/8.png

"The high seas". Also accepting "high C's" and "seize up". 4 for
Stephen, Joshua, Dan Blum, Marc, Dan Tilque, Pete, Calvin, and Bruce.

> 9. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-9/rebus/9.png

"Six of one, half a dozen of the other". Also accepting "you can't
have one without the other", but I did not think "it's either one
or the other" fits the image closely enough. 4 for Stephen, Peter,
Joshua, Marc, Dan Tilque, Pete, and Bruce.

> * Medieval Warfare

> In each case name the weapon.

In case you missed this link that Dan Tilque posted, here it is again:

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0136.html

> 10. A medieval mace had bumps or flanges on its head, but not
> spikes, and was not mounted on a wooden shaft. Name the similar
> weapon that was mounted on a shaft and did have a spiked head.

Morningstar (or holy-water sprinkler or aspergillium). 4 for Stephen,
Dan Blum, Dan Tilque, and Bruce.

> 11. This medieval weapon, also known as a Swiss voulge or pole ax,
> consisted of an ax blade topped with a spike mounted on a long
> shaft or pole. It always had a hook or thorn on the back side
> of the ax blade, for grappling mounted combatants.

Halberd. 4 for Stephen, Peter, and Marc. 3 for Björn.

> 12. This medieval weapon, also known as a crow's foot, was made up
> of two or more sharp nails or spines arranged in such a manner
> that one of them always points upward from a stable base.
> They were part of defenses that served to slow the advances
> of horses.

Caltrop (it has many other spellings). 4 for Stephen, Peter,
Dan Blum, Marc, Dan Tilque, and Calvin.

> * Canadian Folklore & Legends

> 13. French Canadian folktales often feature a loup-garou.
> What's that?

Werewolf. 4 for Stephen, Dan Blum, Marc, Dan Tilque, and Bruce.

> 14. In the late 19th century, citizens of Biddulph Township and
> the village of Lucan appear to have murdered an entire family
> who were hated and feared for their violent natures. Or maybe
> it was the citizens who had the fearfully violent natures.
> In any case, what was the name of this family?

Donnelly. (The "Black Donnellys".) 4 for Stephen.

> 15. What is the name given to a cryptid lake monster reported
> to live in Okanagan Lake in British Columbia? This monster
> has allegedly been seen by First Nations people since the
> 19th century. The most common description is a sea serpent
> 40-50 feet long. Answer in English or Salish.

Ogopogo (Naitaka). 4 for Stephen and Dan Tilque.

Scores, if there are no errors:

ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 6 7 8 9 BEST
TOPICS-> His Geo A&L Spo Sci Ent Mis FIVE
Stephen Perry 40 -- 43 52 52 44 60 251
Joshua Kreitzer 46 48 31 14 36 42 32 204
Dan Blum 36 47 47 12 32 20 36 198
Marc Dashevsky 38 44 25 23 32 24 40 179
Peter Smyth 27 41 21 36 28 28 16 160
Dan Tilque 35 32 8 -- 40 4 36 151
Pete Gayde 20 48 28 26 22 25 20 149
"Calvin" 25 42 22 36 20 13 16 145
Björn Lundin 16 40 28 8 28 20 10 132
Erland Sommarskog 36 46 8 8 24 16 -- 130
Bruce Bowler -- 28 -- -- 35 -- 36 99
Jason Kreitzer 20 20 4 -- 4 -- 12 60
Gareth Owen -- -- -- -- -- 44 -- 44

--
Mark Brader "I used to own a mind like a steel trap.
Toronto Perhaps if I'd specified a brass one, it