QFTCIBSI Final, Round 8: Miscellaneous

Mark Brader

Jun 3, 2016, 5:00:37 AM6/3/16
These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2015-12-08,
and should be interpreted accordingly.

Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

All questions were written by members of the Bloor St. Irregulars,
and are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
see my recent companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

** Final, Round 8 - Miscellaneous

* Overshadowed Deaths

Sometimes celebrities die, and we hear about it in the news.
But sometimes their deaths get overshadowed by the death of
someone more famous.

1. For a comedian, Groucho Marx had terrible timing. His 1977
death was overshadowed by the death of which person who died
three days earlier?

2. For a comedian, Mother Teresa had terrible timing. Her 1997
death was overshadowed by the death of which person who died
six days earlier?

3. The March 5, 1953, death of composer Sergei Prokofiev was
barely mentioned in Soviet newspapers because it was completely
overshadowed by news of the death of which man who died on the
same day?

* Something & Something

Each answer is 3 words -- with the second one being "and".

4. What country is the smallest (by population) to appear at the
FIFA World Cup?

5. What is the name of the Happy Days spinoff that ran for
4 seasons, 1978-82, and starred Pam Dawber in one of the
title roles?

6. Of all the Beatles' singles that sold more than 1,000,000
copies, only one was *not* written by at least one of the
Beatles. Which song?

* It's Business Time!

7. In 1952, Glen Bell was selling hot dogs and burgers in California
when he added what 19-cent item to his menu?

8. Former NFL practice squad wide receiver Isaiah Mustafa gained
sudden fame in 2010 when he starred in a series of commercials
advertising what product? The commercials feature Mustafa on
a horse, a boat, and in a bathroom, among other locations.

9. The founders of *what company* named it using a variation
of a word coined by Milton Sirotta that was used in the book
"Mathematics and the Imagination"?

* Often Seen, but Rarely Noticed

10. What color is the letter L in the Google logo?

11. Which company founded in Ontario in 1922 has a logo that
includes a green maple leaf?

12. Standardized to an 1896 design by Lancashire carpenter Brian
Gamlin, on *what object* will you find the following sequence
of numbers? (Note, this is only part of the full sequence.)

1 -- 18 -- 4 -- 13 -- 6 -- 10

* Wikipedia Edit Wars

Sometimes Wikipedia contributors fight. An entry will get changed
by one person and then get changed back by another. We'll give
you a question vigorously debated by Wikipedians. You name the
*Wikipedia article* in question. For example, if we said that
the debate was: "Which is more famous, the band or the torture
device?" -- then the article would be "Iron Maiden".

13. Does Steve Irwin's death warrant mentioning?

14. Is it appropriate to include a huge picture of a tarantula?

15. Is Jimmy Wales the founder, or a co-founder with Larry Sanger?

--
Mark Brader, Toronto "'Run me,' Alice?"
m...@vex.net -- Tom Neff

Dan Blum

Jun 3, 2016, 10:18:28 AM6/3/16
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> ** Final, Round 8 - Miscellaneous

> * Overshadowed Deaths

> 1. For a comedian, Groucho Marx had terrible timing. His 1977
> death was overshadowed by the death of which person who died
> three days earlier?

Elvis Presley

> 2. For a comedian, Mother Teresa had terrible timing. Her 1997
> death was overshadowed by the death of which person who died
> six days earlier?

Princess Diana

> 3. The March 5, 1953, death of composer Sergei Prokofiev was
> barely mentioned in Soviet newspapers because it was completely
> overshadowed by news of the death of which man who died on the
> same day?

Stalin

> * Something & Something

> 4. What country is the smallest (by population) to appear at the
> FIFA World Cup?

Antigua and Barbuda; Trinidad and Tobago

> 5. What is the name of the Happy Days spinoff that ran for
> 4 seasons, 1978-82, and starred Pam Dawber in one of the
> title roles?

Laverne and Shirley

> * It's Business Time!

> 7. In 1952, Glen Bell was selling hot dogs and burgers in California
> when he added what 19-cent item to his menu?

french fries

> 8. Former NFL practice squad wide receiver Isaiah Mustafa gained
> sudden fame in 2010 when he starred in a series of commercials
> advertising what product? The commercials feature Mustafa on
> a horse, a boat, and in a bathroom, among other locations.

Old Spice

> 9. The founders of *what company* named it using a variation
> of a word coined by Milton Sirotta that was used in the book
> "Mathematics and the Imagination"?

Google

> * Often Seen, but Rarely Noticed

> 10. What color is the letter L in the Google logo?

red; yellow

> 12. Standardized to an 1896 design by Lancashire carpenter Brian
> Gamlin, on *what object* will you find the following sequence
> of numbers? (Note, this is only part of the full sequence.)

> 1 -- 18 -- 4 -- 13 -- 6 -- 10

T-square

> * Wikipedia Edit Wars

> 13. Does Steve Irwin's death warrant mentioning?

sting ray

> 14. Is it appropriate to include a huge picture of a tarantula?

arachnophobia

> 15. Is Jimmy Wales the founder, or a co-founder with Larry Sanger?

Wikipedia

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

bbowler

Jun 3, 2016, 10:59:05 AM6/3/16
On Fri, 03 Jun 2016 04:00:36 -0500, Mark Brader wrote:

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2015-12-08, and
> should be interpreted accordingly.
>
> On each question you may give up to two answers, but if you give both a
> right answer and a wrong answer, there is a small penalty. Please post
> all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup, based only on
> your own knowledge. (In your answer posting, quote the questions and
> place your answer below each one.) I will reveal the correct answers in
> about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of the Bloor St. Irregulars, and
> are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have been
> retyped and/or edited by me. For further information see my recent
> companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> ** Final, Round 8 - Miscellaneous
>
> * Overshadowed Deaths
>
> Sometimes celebrities die, and we hear about it in the news.
> But sometimes their deaths get overshadowed by the death of someone more
> famous.
>
> 1. For a comedian, Groucho Marx had terrible timing. His 1977
> death was overshadowed by the death of which person who died three
> days earlier?

Elvis

> 2. For a comedian, Mother Teresa had terrible timing. Her 1997
> death was overshadowed by the death of which person who died six days
> earlier?

Princess Diana

> 3. The March 5, 1953, death of composer Sergei Prokofiev was
> barely mentioned in Soviet newspapers because it was completely
> overshadowed by news of the death of which man who died on the same
> day?
>

> * Something & Something
>
> Each answer is 3 words -- with the second one being "and".
>
> 4. What country is the smallest (by population) to appear at the
> FIFA World Cup?
>
> 5. What is the name of the Happy Days spinoff that ran for
> 4 seasons, 1978-82, and starred Pam Dawber in one of the title roles?

Mork & Mindy (what show was Happy Days itself a spin-off of?)

> 6. Of all the Beatles' singles that sold more than 1,000,000
> copies, only one was *not* written by at least one of the Beatles.
> Which song?
>

> * It's Business Time!
>
> 7. In 1952, Glen Bell was selling hot dogs and burgers in California
> when he added what 19-cent item to his menu?

French Fries

> 8. Former NFL practice squad wide receiver Isaiah Mustafa gained
> sudden fame in 2010 when he starred in a series of commercials
> advertising what product? The commercials feature Mustafa on a
> horse, a boat, and in a bathroom, among other locations.

Old Spice

> 9. The founders of *what company* named it using a variation
> of a word coined by Milton Sirotta that was used in the book
> "Mathematics and the Imagination"?

Google

> * Often Seen, but Rarely Noticed
>
> 10. What color is the letter L in the Google logo?

Green; Blue

> 11. Which company founded in Ontario in 1922 has a logo that
> includes a green maple leaf?
>
> 12. Standardized to an 1896 design by Lancashire carpenter Brian
> Gamlin, on *what object* will you find the following sequence of
> numbers? (Note, this is only part of the full sequence.)
>
> 1 -- 18 -- 4 -- 13 -- 6 -- 10

Dart Board

> * Wikipedia Edit Wars
>
> Sometimes Wikipedia contributors fight. An entry will get changed by
> one person and then get changed back by another. We'll give you a
> question vigorously debated by Wikipedians. You name the *Wikipedia
> article* in question. For example, if we said that the debate was:
> "Which is more famous, the band or the torture device?" -- then the
> article would be "Iron Maiden".
>
> 13. Does Steve Irwin's death warrant mentioning?

Sting rays

> 14. Is it appropriate to include a huge picture of a tarantula?

Arachnophobia

> 15. Is Jimmy Wales the founder, or a co-founder with Larry Sanger?

Wikipedia

Marc Dashevsky

Jun 3, 2016, 11:36:39 AM6/3/16
In article <jsydncf7Ramp2szK...@giganews.com>, m...@vex.net says...
> ** Final, Round 8 - Miscellaneous
>
> * Overshadowed Deaths
>
> Sometimes celebrities die, and we hear about it in the news.
> But sometimes their deaths get overshadowed by the death of
> someone more famous.
>
> 1. For a comedian, Groucho Marx had terrible timing. His 1977
> death was overshadowed by the death of which person who died
> three days earlier?
Elvis

> 2. For a comedian, Mother Teresa had terrible timing. Her 1997
> death was overshadowed by the death of which person who died
> six days earlier?
Lady Di

> 3. The March 5, 1953, death of composer Sergei Prokofiev was
> barely mentioned in Soviet newspapers because it was completely
> overshadowed by news of the death of which man who died on the
> same day?
Stalin

> * Something & Something
>
> Each answer is 3 words -- with the second one being "and".
>
> 4. What country is the smallest (by population) to appear at the
> FIFA World Cup?
Turks and Caicos

> 5. What is the name of the Happy Days spinoff that ran for
> 4 seasons, 1978-82, and starred Pam Dawber in one of the
> title roles?
Mork and Mindy

> 6. Of all the Beatles' singles that sold more than 1,000,000
> copies, only one was *not* written by at least one of the
> Beatles. Which song?

> * It's Business Time!
>
> 7. In 1952, Glen Bell was selling hot dogs and burgers in California
> when he added what 19-cent item to his menu?
taco

> 8. Former NFL practice squad wide receiver Isaiah Mustafa gained
> sudden fame in 2010 when he starred in a series of commercials
> advertising what product? The commercials feature Mustafa on
> a horse, a boat, and in a bathroom, among other locations.
>
> 9. The founders of *what company* named it using a variation
> of a word coined by Milton Sirotta that was used in the book
> "Mathematics and the Imagination"?
Google

> * Often Seen, but Rarely Noticed
>
> 10. What color is the letter L in the Google logo?
blue

> 11. Which company founded in Ontario in 1922 has a logo that
> includes a green maple leaf?
>
> 12. Standardized to an 1896 design by Lancashire carpenter Brian
> Gamlin, on *what object* will you find the following sequence
> of numbers? (Note, this is only part of the full sequence.)
>
> 1 -- 18 -- 4 -- 13 -- 6 -- 10
dart board

> * Wikipedia Edit Wars
>
> Sometimes Wikipedia contributors fight. An entry will get changed
> by one person and then get changed back by another. We'll give
> you a question vigorously debated by Wikipedians. You name the
> *Wikipedia article* in question. For example, if we said that
> the debate was: "Which is more famous, the band or the torture
> device?" -- then the article would be "Iron Maiden".
>
> 13. Does Steve Irwin's death warrant mentioning?
Sting Ray

> 14. Is it appropriate to include a huge picture of a tarantula?
arachnaphobia

> 15. Is Jimmy Wales the founder, or a co-founder with Larry Sanger?

Erland Sommarskog

Jun 3, 2016, 2:22:42 PM6/3/16
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> ** Final, Round 8 - Miscellaneous
>
> * Overshadowed Deaths
>
> 1. For a comedian, Groucho Marx had terrible timing. His 1977
> death was overshadowed by the death of which person who died
> three days earlier?

Elvis Presley

> 2. For a comedian, Mother Teresa had terrible timing. Her 1997
> death was overshadowed by the death of which person who died
> six days earlier?

Princess Diana

> 3. The March 5, 1953, death of composer Sergei Prokofiev was
> barely mentioned in Soviet newspapers because it was completely
> overshadowed by news of the death of which man who died on the
> same day?

Josef Stalin

> 4. What country is the smallest (by population) to appear at the
> FIFA World Cup?

Trinidad and Tobago

> 6. Of all the Beatles' singles that sold more than 1,000,000
> copies, only one was *not* written by at least one of the
> Beatles. Which song?

Twist and Shout

> 9. The founders of *what company* named it using a variation
> of a word coined by Milton Sirotta that was used in the book
> "Mathematics and the Imagination"?

Google

> * Often Seen, but Rarely Noticed
>
> 10. What color is the letter L in the Google logo?

Blue

> 15. Is Jimmy Wales the founder, or a co-founder with Larry Sanger?

Wikipedia

Mark Brader

Jun 3, 2016, 3:14:33 PM6/3/16
Mark Brader:
>> 12. Standardized to an 1896 design by Lancashire carpenter Brian
>> Gamlin, on *what object* will you find the following sequence
>> of numbers? (Note, this is only part of the full sequence.)

>> 1 -- 18 -- 4 -- 13 -- 6 -- 10

Dan Blum:
> T-square

The only meaning I know for that term is a measuring instrument,
either like this:

http://www.acklandsgrainger.com/images/items/zoom/11VL16_AS01.JPG

or like this:

http://images.utrechtart.com/products/optionLarge/CThru/56753.jpg

Considering the sequence of numbers, what did you have in mind?
--
Mark Brader | I rise to speak ... well, actually, I don't rise,
Toronto | nor do I speak, but I lounge to type in his defense.

Dan Blum

Jun 3, 2016, 5:05:37 PM6/3/16
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:
> Mark Brader:
> >> 12. Standardized to an 1896 design by Lancashire carpenter Brian
> >> Gamlin, on *what object* will you find the following sequence
> >> of numbers? (Note, this is only part of the full sequence.)

> >> 1 -- 18 -- 4 -- 13 -- 6 -- 10

> Dan Blum:
> > T-square

> The only meaning I know for that term is a measuring instrument,
> either like this:

> http://www.acklandsgrainger.com/images/items/zoom/11VL16_AS01.JPG

> or like this:

> http://images.utrechtart.com/products/optionLarge/CThru/56753.jpg

> Considering the sequence of numbers, what did you have in mind?

Inches one direction, centimeters the other? I don't think it works
but I couldn't think of anything else.

Peter Smyth

Jun 3, 2016, 7:10:19 PM6/3/16
Mark Brader wrote:

> ** Final, Round 8 - Miscellaneous
>
> * Overshadowed Deaths
>
> Sometimes celebrities die, and we hear about it in the news.
> But sometimes their deaths get overshadowed by the death of
> someone more famous.
>
> 1. For a comedian, Groucho Marx had terrible timing. His 1977
> death was overshadowed by the death of which person who died
> three days earlier?
Elvis Presley
> 2. For a comedian, Mother Teresa had terrible timing. Her 1997
> death was overshadowed by the death of which person who died
> six days earlier?
Princess Diana
> 3. The March 5, 1953, death of composer Sergei Prokofiev was
> barely mentioned in Soviet newspapers because it was completely
> overshadowed by news of the death of which man who died on the
> same day?
Stalin

> * Something & Something
>
> Each answer is 3 words -- with the second one being "and".
>
> 4. What country is the smallest (by population) to appear at the
> FIFA World Cup?
Trinidad and Tobago
> 5. What is the name of the Happy Days spinoff that ran for
> 4 seasons, 1978-82, and starred Pam Dawber in one of the
> title roles?
>
> 6. Of all the Beatles' singles that sold more than 1,000,000
> copies, only one was not written by at least one of the
> Beatles. Which song?
Twist and Shout

> * It's Business Time!
>
> 7. In 1952, Glen Bell was selling hot dogs and burgers in California
> when he added what 19-cent item to his menu?
>
> 8. Former NFL practice squad wide receiver Isaiah Mustafa gained
> sudden fame in 2010 when he starred in a series of commercials
> advertising what product? The commercials feature Mustafa on
> a horse, a boat, and in a bathroom, among other locations.
>
> 9. The founders of *what company* named it using a variation
> of a word coined by Milton Sirotta that was used in the book
> "Mathematics and the Imagination"?
Google

> * Often Seen, but Rarely Noticed
>
> 10. What color is the letter L in the Google logo?
Green, Yellow
> 11. Which company founded in Ontario in 1922 has a logo that
> includes a green maple leaf?
>
> 12. Standardized to an 1896 design by Lancashire carpenter Brian
> Gamlin, on *what object* will you find the following sequence
> of numbers? (Note, this is only part of the full sequence.)
>
> 1 -- 18 -- 4 -- 13 -- 6 -- 10
Dartboard

> * Wikipedia Edit Wars
>
> Sometimes Wikipedia contributors fight. An entry will get changed
> by one person and then get changed back by another. We'll give
> you a question vigorously debated by Wikipedians. You name the
> *Wikipedia article* in question. For example, if we said that
> the debate was: "Which is more famous, the band or the torture
> device?" -- then the article would be "Iron Maiden".
>
> 13. Does Steve Irwin's death warrant mentioning?
Stingray
> 14. Is it appropriate to include a huge picture of a tarantula?
Arachnophobia
> 15. Is Jimmy Wales the founder, or a co-founder with Larry Sanger?
Wikipedia

Peter Smyth

Dan Tilque

Jun 3, 2016, 8:16:21 PM6/3/16
Mark Brader wrote:

> ** Final, Round 8 - Miscellaneous
>
> * Overshadowed Deaths
>
> Sometimes celebrities die, and we hear about it in the news.
> But sometimes their deaths get overshadowed by the death of
> someone more famous.
>
> 1. For a comedian, Groucho Marx had terrible timing. His 1977
> death was overshadowed by the death of which person who died
> three days earlier?

Elvis Presley

> 2. For a comedian, Mother Teresa had terrible timing. Her 1997
> death was overshadowed by the death of which person who died
> six days earlier?

Princess Diana

> 3. The March 5, 1953, death of composer Sergei Prokofiev was
> barely mentioned in Soviet newspapers because it was completely
> overshadowed by news of the death of which man who died on the
> same day?

Joseph Stalin

> * Something & Something
>
> Each answer is 3 words -- with the second one being "and".
>
> 4. What country is the smallest (by population) to appear at the
> FIFA World Cup?

Trinidad and Tobago

> 5. What is the name of the Happy Days spinoff that ran for
> 4 seasons, 1978-82, and starred Pam Dawber in one of the
> title roles?

Mork and Mindy

> 6. Of all the Beatles' singles that sold more than 1,000,000
> copies, only one was *not* written by at least one of the
> Beatles. Which song?
>

> * It's Business Time!
>
> 7. In 1952, Glen Bell was selling hot dogs and burgers in California
> when he added what 19-cent item to his menu?

Sno-cone

> 8. Former NFL practice squad wide receiver Isaiah Mustafa gained
> sudden fame in 2010 when he starred in a series of commercials
> advertising what product? The commercials feature Mustafa on
> a horse, a boat, and in a bathroom, among other locations.

spray cologne

> 9. The founders of *what company* named it using a variation
> of a word coined by Milton Sirotta that was used in the book
> "Mathematics and the Imagination"?

Google

> * Often Seen, but Rarely Noticed
>
> 10. What color is the letter L in the Google logo?

green

> 11. Which company founded in Ontario in 1922 has a logo that
> includes a green maple leaf?
>
> 12. Standardized to an 1896 design by Lancashire carpenter Brian
> Gamlin, on *what object* will you find the following sequence
> of numbers? (Note, this is only part of the full sequence.)
>
> 1 -- 18 -- 4 -- 13 -- 6 -- 10

dart board

> * Wikipedia Edit Wars
>
> Sometimes Wikipedia contributors fight. An entry will get changed
> by one person and then get changed back by another. We'll give
> you a question vigorously debated by Wikipedians. You name the
> *Wikipedia article* in question. For example, if we said that
> the debate was: "Which is more famous, the band or the torture
> device?" -- then the article would be "Iron Maiden".
>
> 13. Does Steve Irwin's death warrant mentioning?

stingray

> 14. Is it appropriate to include a huge picture of a tarantula?

arthropod

> 15. Is Jimmy Wales the founder, or a co-founder with Larry Sanger?

Wikipedia

--
Dan Tilque

Joshua Kreitzer

Jun 3, 2016, 8:20:30 PM6/3/16
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:jsydncf7Ramp2szKnZ2dnUU7-
SnN...@giganews.com:

> ** Final, Round 8 - Miscellaneous
>
> * Overshadowed Deaths
>
> 1. For a comedian, Groucho Marx had terrible timing. His 1977
> death was overshadowed by the death of which person who died
> three days earlier?

Elvis Presley

> 2. For a comedian, Mother Teresa had terrible timing. Her 1997
> death was overshadowed by the death of which person who died
> six days earlier?

Diana, Princess of Wales

> 3. The March 5, 1953, death of composer Sergei Prokofiev was
> barely mentioned in Soviet newspapers because it was completely
> overshadowed by news of the death of which man who died on the
> same day?

Joseph Stalin

> * Something & Something
>
> Each answer is 3 words -- with the second one being "and".
>
> 4. What country is the smallest (by population) to appear at the
> FIFA World Cup?

Antigua and Barbuda; Bosnia and Herzegovina

> 5. What is the name of the Happy Days spinoff that ran for
> 4 seasons, 1978-82, and starred Pam Dawber in one of the
> title roles?

"Mork and Mindy"

> 6. Of all the Beatles' singles that sold more than 1,000,000
> copies, only one was *not* written by at least one of the
> Beatles. Which song?

"Twist and Shout"

> * It's Business Time!
>
> 8. Former NFL practice squad wide receiver Isaiah Mustafa gained
> sudden fame in 2010 when he starred in a series of commercials
> advertising what product? The commercials feature Mustafa on
> a horse, a boat, and in a bathroom, among other locations.

Old Spice

> 9. The founders of *what company* named it using a variation
> of a word coined by Milton Sirotta that was used in the book
> "Mathematics and the Imagination"?

Google

> * Often Seen, but Rarely Noticed
>
> 12. Standardized to an 1896 design by Lancashire carpenter Brian
> Gamlin, on *what object* will you find the following sequence
> of numbers? (Note, this is only part of the full sequence.)
>
> 1 -- 18 -- 4 -- 13 -- 6 -- 10

dartboard

> * Wikipedia Edit Wars
>
> Sometimes Wikipedia contributors fight. An entry will get changed
> by one person and then get changed back by another. We'll give
> you a question vigorously debated by Wikipedians. You name the
> *Wikipedia article* in question. For example, if we said that
> the debate was: "Which is more famous, the band or the torture
> device?" -- then the article would be "Iron Maiden".
>
> 13. Does Steve Irwin's death warrant mentioning?

crocodile

> 15. Is Jimmy Wales the founder, or a co-founder with Larry Sanger?

Wikipedia

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

swp

Jun 3, 2016, 8:51:40 PM6/3/16
On Friday, June 3, 2016 at 5:00:37 AM UTC-4, Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2015-12-08,
> and should be interpreted accordingly.

I thought I had an extra day for the other rounds I missed. but that's what happens when your real life gets in the way of the life you anticipate.

> ** Final, Round 8 - Miscellaneous
>
> * Overshadowed Deaths
>
> Sometimes celebrities die, and we hear about it in the news.
> But sometimes their deaths get overshadowed by the death of
> someone more famous.
>
> 1. For a comedian, Groucho Marx had terrible timing. His 1977
> death was overshadowed by the death of which person who died
> three days earlier?

elvis presley

> 2. For a comedian, Mother Teresa had terrible timing. Her 1997
> death was overshadowed by the death of which person who died
> six days earlier?

diana, princess of wales

> 3. The March 5, 1953, death of composer Sergei Prokofiev was
> barely mentioned in Soviet newspapers because it was completely
> overshadowed by news of the death of which man who died on the
> same day?

joseph stalin

> * Something & Something
>
> Each answer is 3 words -- with the second one being "and".
>
> 4. What country is the smallest (by population) to appear at the
> FIFA World Cup?

trinidad and tobago

> 5. What is the name of the Happy Days spin-off that ran for
> 4 seasons, 1978-82, and starred Pam Dawber in one of the
> title roles?

mork and mindy

> 6. Of all the Beatles' singles that sold more than 1,000,000
> copies, only one was *not* written by at least one of the
> Beatles. Which song?

twist and shout

> * It's Business Time!
>
> 7. In 1952, Glen Bell was selling hot dogs and burgers in California
> when he added what 19-cent item to his menu?

taco

> 8. Former NFL practice squad wide receiver Isaiah Mustafa gained
> sudden fame in 2010 when he starred in a series of commercials
> advertising what product? The commercials feature Mustafa on
> a horse, a boat, and in a bathroom, among other locations.

old spice deodorant

> 9. The founders of *what company* named it using a variation
> of a word coined by Milton Sirotta that was used in the book
> "Mathematics and the Imagination"?

google

> * Often Seen, but Rarely Noticed
>
> 10. What color is the letter L in the Google logo?

green

> 11. Which company founded in Ontario in 1922 has a logo that
> includes a green maple leaf?

canadian tire

> 12. Standardized to an 1896 design by Lancashire carpenter Brian
> Gamlin, on *what object* will you find the following sequence
> of numbers? (Note, this is only part of the full sequence.)
>
> 1 -- 18 -- 4 -- 13 -- 6 -- 10

dart board

> * Wikipedia Edit Wars
>
> Sometimes Wikipedia contributors fight. An entry will get changed
> by one person and then get changed back by another. We'll give
> you a question vigorously debated by Wikipedians. You name the
> *Wikipedia article* in question. For example, if we said that
> the debate was: "Which is more famous, the band or the torture
> device?" -- then the article would be "Iron Maiden".
>
> 13. Does Steve Irwin's death warrant mentioning?

crocodile

> 14. Is it appropriate to include a huge picture of a tarantula?

page discussing fear of spiders

> 15. Is Jimmy Wales the founder, or a co-founder with Larry Sanger?

wikipedia

swp

Mark Brader

Jun 4, 2016, 1:08:08 AM6/4/16
Dan Blum:
> Inches one direction, centimeters the other? ...

Huh. Thanks for answering.
--
Mark Brader "This may represent a minor inconvenience ...
Toronto I say 'minor' because I'm not doing the work."

Pete

Jun 4, 2016, 1:50:25 AM6/4/16
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:jsydncf7Ramp2szKnZ2dnUU7-
SnN...@giganews.com:

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2015-12-08,

> Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of the Bloor St. Irregulars,
> and are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
> have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
> see my recent companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> ** Final, Round 8 - Miscellaneous
>
> * Overshadowed Deaths
>
> Sometimes celebrities die, and we hear about it in the news.
> But sometimes their deaths get overshadowed by the death of
> someone more famous.
>
> 1. For a comedian, Groucho Marx had terrible timing. His 1977
> death was overshadowed by the death of which person who died
> three days earlier?

Elvis Presley

> 2. For a comedian, Mother Teresa had terrible timing. Her 1997
> death was overshadowed by the death of which person who died
> six days earlier?

Princess Diana

> 3. The March 5, 1953, death of composer Sergei Prokofiev was
> barely mentioned in Soviet newspapers because it was completely
> overshadowed by news of the death of which man who died on the
> same day?

Stalin

> * Something & Something
>
> Each answer is 3 words -- with the second one being "and".
>
> 4. What country is the smallest (by population) to appear at the
> FIFA World Cup?

Trinidad and Tobago

> 5. What is the name of the Happy Days spinoff that ran for
> 4 seasons, 1978-82, and starred Pam Dawber in one of the
> title roles?

Mork and Mindy

> 6. Of all the Beatles' singles that sold more than 1,000,000
> copies, only one was *not* written by at least one of the
> Beatles. Which song?

Twist and Shout

> * It's Business Time!
>
> 7. In 1952, Glen Bell was selling hot dogs and burgers in California
> when he added what 19-cent item to his menu?

French fries

> 8. Former NFL practice squad wide receiver Isaiah Mustafa gained
> sudden fame in 2010 when he starred in a series of commercials
> advertising what product? The commercials feature Mustafa on
> a horse, a boat, and in a bathroom, among other locations.

Mennen deodorant

> 9. The founders of *what company* named it using a variation
> of a word coined by Milton Sirotta that was used in the book
> "Mathematics and the Imagination"?
>

> * Often Seen, but Rarely Noticed
>
> 10. What color is the letter L in the Google logo?

Blue; Green

> 11. Which company founded in Ontario in 1922 has a logo that
> includes a green maple leaf?

Canadian Club; Seagrams

> 12. Standardized to an 1896 design by Lancashire carpenter Brian
> Gamlin, on *what object* will you find the following sequence
> of numbers? (Note, this is only part of the full sequence.)
>
> 1 -- 18 -- 4 -- 13 -- 6 -- 10

Slide rule

> * Wikipedia Edit Wars
>
> Sometimes Wikipedia contributors fight. An entry will get changed
> by one person and then get changed back by another. We'll give
> you a question vigorously debated by Wikipedians. You name the
> *Wikipedia article* in question. For example, if we said that
> the debate was: "Which is more famous, the band or the torture
> device?" -- then the article would be "Iron Maiden".
>
> 13. Does Steve Irwin's death warrant mentioning?

Manta ray

> 14. Is it appropriate to include a huge picture of a tarantula?
>
> 15. Is Jimmy Wales the founder, or a co-founder with Larry Sanger?

Wikipedia

Pete Gayde

Björn Lundin

Jun 4, 2016, 8:49:14 AM6/4/16
On 2016-06-03 11:00, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Overshadowed Deaths
>
> Sometimes celebrities die, and we hear about it in the news.
> But sometimes their deaths get overshadowed by the death of
> someone more famous.
>
> 1. For a comedian, Groucho Marx had terrible timing. His 1977
> death was overshadowed by the death of which person who died
> three days earlier?

Elvis ?

> 2. For a comedian, Mother Teresa had terrible timing. Her 1997
> death was overshadowed by the death of which person who died
> six days earlier?

Lady Diana ?

> 3. The March 5, 1953, death of composer Sergei Prokofiev was
> barely mentioned in Soviet newspapers because it was completely
> overshadowed by news of the death of which man who died on the
> same day?

Stalin

> * Something & Something
>
> Each answer is 3 words -- with the second one being "and".
>
> 4. What country is the smallest (by population) to appear at the
> FIFA World Cup?

Triniad and Tobago

> * Often Seen, but Rarely Noticed
>
> 10. What color is the letter L in the Google logo?

Yellow ; Red

Björn

Jason Kreitzer

Jun 5, 2016, 12:22:58 PM6/5/16
On Friday, June 3, 2016 at 5:00:37 AM UTC-4, Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2015-12-08,

> Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of the Bloor St. Irregulars,
> and are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
> have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
> see my recent companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> ** Final, Round 8 - Miscellaneous
>
> * Overshadowed Deaths
>
> Sometimes celebrities die, and we hear about it in the news.
> But sometimes their deaths get overshadowed by the death of
> someone more famous.
>
> 1. For a comedian, Groucho Marx had terrible timing. His 1977
> death was overshadowed by the death of which person who died
> three days earlier?
Elvis Presley
> 2. For a comedian, Mother Teresa had terrible timing. Her 1997
> death was overshadowed by the death of which person who died
> six days earlier?
Princess Diana
> 3. The March 5, 1953, death of composer Sergei Prokofiev was
> barely mentioned in Soviet newspapers because it was completely
> overshadowed by news of the death of which man who died on the
> same day?
Joseph Stalin

> * Something & Something
>
> Each answer is 3 words -- with the second one being "and".
>
> 4. What country is the smallest (by population) to appear at the
> FIFA World Cup?
>
> 5. What is the name of the Happy Days spinoff that ran for
> 4 seasons, 1978-82, and starred Pam Dawber in one of the
> title roles?
"Mork & Mindy"
> 6. Of all the Beatles' singles that sold more than 1,000,000
> copies, only one was *not* written by at least one of the
> Beatles. Which song?
"Twist and Shout"
Stingray
> 14. Is it appropriate to include a huge picture of a tarantula?
"Arachnophobia"

Calvin

Jun 5, 2016, 11:08:14 PM6/5/16
On Friday, June 3, 2016 at 7:00:37 PM UTC+10, Mark Brader wrote:

> ** Final, Round 8 - Miscellaneous
>
> * Overshadowed Deaths
>
> Sometimes celebrities die, and we hear about it in the news.
> But sometimes their deaths get overshadowed by the death of
> someone more famous.
>
> 1. For a comedian, Groucho Marx had terrible timing. His 1977
> death was overshadowed by the death of which person who died
> three days earlier?

Elvis Presley

> 2. For a comedian, Mother Teresa had terrible timing. Her 1997
> death was overshadowed by the death of which person who died
> six days earlier?

Diana Princess of Wales

> 3. The March 5, 1953, death of composer Sergei Prokofiev was
> barely mentioned in Soviet newspapers because it was completely
> overshadowed by news of the death of which man who died on the
> same day?

"Uncle Joe" Stalin

> * Something & Something
>
> Each answer is 3 words -- with the second one being "and".
>
> 4. What country is the smallest (by population) to appear at the
> FIFA World Cup?

Trinidad and Tobago

> 5. What is the name of the Happy Days spinoff that ran for
> 4 seasons, 1978-82, and starred Pam Dawber in one of the
> title roles?

Mork and Mindy

> 6. Of all the Beatles' singles that sold more than 1,000,000
> copies, only one was *not* written by at least one of the
> Beatles. Which song?

> * It's Business Time!
>
> 7. In 1952, Glen Bell was selling hot dogs and burgers in California
> when he added what 19-cent item to his menu?

Tacos

> 8. Former NFL practice squad wide receiver Isaiah Mustafa gained
> sudden fame in 2010 when he starred in a series of commercials
> advertising what product? The commercials feature Mustafa on
> a horse, a boat, and in a bathroom, among other locations.
>
> 9. The founders of *what company* named it using a variation
> of a word coined by Milton Sirotta that was used in the book
> "Mathematics and the Imagination"?

Google

> * Often Seen, but Rarely Noticed
>
> 10. What color is the letter L in the Google logo?

Green

> 11. Which company founded in Ontario in 1922 has a logo that
> includes a green maple leaf?
>
> 12. Standardized to an 1896 design by Lancashire carpenter Brian
> Gamlin, on *what object* will you find the following sequence
> of numbers? (Note, this is only part of the full sequence.)
>
> 1 -- 18 -- 4 -- 13 -- 6 -- 10

Dartboard

> * Wikipedia Edit Wars
>
> 13. Does Steve Irwin's death warrant mentioning?

Stingrays

> 14. Is it appropriate to include a huge picture of a tarantula?
>
> 15. Is Jimmy Wales the founder, or a co-founder with Larry Sanger?

History of wikipedia

cheers,
calvin

Mark Brader

Jun 6, 2016, 3:57:49 AM6/6/16
Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2015-12-08,
> see my recent companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

> ** Final, Round 8 - Miscellaneous

> * Overshadowed Deaths

> Sometimes celebrities die, and we hear about it in the news.
> But sometimes their deaths get overshadowed by the death of
> someone more famous.

> 1. For a comedian, Groucho Marx had terrible timing. His 1977
> death was overshadowed by the death of which person who died
> three days earlier?

Elvis Presley. 4 for everyone -- Dan Blum, Bruce, Marc, Dan Tilque,
Erland, Peter, Joshua, Stephen, Pete, Björn, Jason, and Calvin.

> 2. For a comedian, Mother Teresa had terrible timing. Her 1997
> death was overshadowed by the death of which person who died
> six days earlier?

Princess Diana. 4 for everyone.

> 3. The March 5, 1953, death of composer Sergei Prokofiev was
> barely mentioned in Soviet newspapers because it was completely
> overshadowed by news of the death of which man who died on the
> same day?

Josef Stalin. 4 for Dan Blum, Marc, Dan Tilque, Erland, Peter,
Joshua, Stephen, Pete, Björn, Jason, and Calvin.

> * Something & Something

> Each answer is 3 words -- with the second one being "and".

> 4. What country is the smallest (by population) to appear at the
> FIFA World Cup?

Trinidad and Tobago. 4 for Dan Tilque, Erland, Peter, Stephen,
Pete, Björn, and Calvin. 2 for Dan Blum.

> 5. What is the name of the Happy Days spinoff that ran for
> 4 seasons, 1978-82, and starred Pam Dawber in one of the
> title roles?

"Mork and Mindy". 4 for Bruce, Marc, Dan Tilque, Joshua, Stephen,
Pete, Jason, and Calvin.

> 6. Of all the Beatles' singles that sold more than 1,000,000
> copies, only one was *not* written by at least one of the
> Beatles. Which song?

"Twist and Shout". 4 for Erland, Peter, Joshua, Stephen, Pete,
and Jason.

> * It's Business Time!

> 7. In 1952, Glen Bell was selling hot dogs and burgers in California
> when he added what 19-cent item to his menu?

Tacos. (Taco Bell, get it?) 4 for Marc, Stephen, and Calvin.

> 8. Former NFL practice squad wide receiver Isaiah Mustafa gained
> sudden fame in 2010 when he starred in a series of commercials
> advertising what product? The commercials feature Mustafa on
> a horse, a boat, and in a bathroom, among other locations.

Old Spice. 4 for Dan Blum, Bruce, Joshua, and Stephen.

> 9. The founders of *what company* named it using a variation
> of a word coined by Milton Sirotta that was used in the book
> "Mathematics and the Imagination"?

Google. 4 for Dan Blum, Bruce, Marc, Dan Tilque, Erland, Peter,
Joshua, Stephen, and Calvin.

> * Often Seen, but Rarely Noticed

> 10. What color is the letter L in the Google logo?

Green. 4 for Dan Tilque, Stephen, and Calvin. 3 for Bruce and Peter.
2 for Pete.

> 11. Which company founded in Ontario in 1922 has a logo that
> includes a green maple leaf?

Canadian Tire. 4 for Stephen. 3 for Pete.

> 12. Standardized to an 1896 design by Lancashire carpenter Brian
> Gamlin, on *what object* will you find the following sequence
> of numbers? (Note, this is only part of the full sequence.)

> 1 -- 18 -- 4 -- 13 -- 6 -- 10

Dartboard. 4 for Bruce, Marc, Dan Tilque, Peter, Joshua, Stephen,
and Calvin.

> * Wikipedia Edit Wars

> Sometimes Wikipedia contributors fight. An entry will get changed
> by one person and then get changed back by another. We'll give
> you a question vigorously debated by Wikipedians. You name the
> *Wikipedia article* in question. For example, if we said that
> the debate was: "Which is more famous, the band or the torture
> device?" -- then the article would be "Iron Maiden".

> 13. Does Steve Irwin's death warrant mentioning?

Stingray. 4 for Dan Blum, Bruce, Marc, Dan Tilque, Peter, Jason,
and Calvin.

Manta rays are a different species with a different article.

> 14. Is it appropriate to include a huge picture of a tarantula?

Arachnophobia. And "fear of spiders" redirects to the same
article, so I reluctantly scored "page discussing fear of spiders"
as almost correct. 4 for Dan Blum, Bruce, Marc, Peter, and Jason.
3 for Stephen.

> 15. Is Jimmy Wales the founder, or a co-founder with Larry Sanger?

Wikipedia. I also accepted "History of wikipedia", which is a
separate article but would presumably have been subject to the same
edit war. 4 for Dan Blum, Bruce, Dan Tilque, Erland, Peter, Joshua,
Stephen, Pete, and Calvin.

Scores, if there are no errors:

FINAL ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 6 7 8 BEST
TOPICS-> Lit Sci His Spo Geo Mis FOUR
Stephen Perry -- 60 56 56 -- 55 227
Marc Dashevsky 32 51 48 28 24 36 167
Joshua Kreitzer 48 33 48 28 32 36 165
Dan Tilque 16 40 44 8 28 40 152
Peter Smyth -- 38 38 27 21 43 146
Dan Blum 40 32 28 18 34 34 140
"Calvin" 20 25 34 34 27 44 139
Erland Sommarskog -- 31 32 12 20 28 111
Björn Lundin 0 29 40 8 19 16 104
Pete Gayde 4 -- -- 28 28 33 93
Bruce Bowler -- 48 -- -- -- 39 87
Jason Kreitzer 8 4 8 12 16 28 64

--
Mark Brader | "...most people who borrow over $1,000,000 from a bank
Toronto | would at least remember the name of the bank."