QFTCIUA19 Game 5, Rounds 9-10: Australasia, Pride challenge

Mark Brader

Jul 29, 2019, 12:53:27 AM7/29/19
These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2019-06-17,
and should be interpreted accordingly.

Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

All questions were written by members of Unnatural Axxxe and are
used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information see
my 2019-01-22 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

** Game 5, Round 9 - Geography - Australasia

Here's a round on Australasia -- a catch-all term, first coined in
the 18th Century, for Australia and the island countries around it.

1. Which country's capital is Port Moresby?

2. Which country is composed chiefly of North Island, South Island,
and Stewart Island?

3. The Indian Ocean borders Australia. Name *either* of the two
seas that also border Australia.

4. How many states are in Australia?

5. Name *any one* of the three principal exports of the island
nation of Vanuatu.

6. Where does Australia rank among nations by area?

7. Within 10,000 years, how long ago did the first aborigines
arrive in Australia?

8. What maritime-minded name is given to the geographic region
comprising Australasia, Melanesia, Micronesia, and Polynesia?

9. This island nation, near both the equator and the International
Date Line, is composed of 1,156 individual islands and islets.
Its capital is Majuro. Name it.

10. What are the colors of the Australian flag?

** Game 5, Round 10 - Challenge Round - In Honor of Pride Month

* A. LGBTQ Authors

A1. His first novel, "Go Tell It on the Mountain", and his
book of essays "Notes of a Native Son", concentrated on race.
But his second novel "Giovanni's Room" scandalized literary
circles with its homoerotic content. Name that author.

A2. Shyam Selvadurai's debut novel won the Lambda Literary Award
for Gay Male Fiction and the Books in Canada First Novel
Award. It is a coming-of-age novel set against the backdrop
of the racial tensions leading up to the 1983 riots in
Sri Lanka. Name the novel.

* B. LGBTQ Athletes

B1. In the 2014, this U of Missouri defensive end became the
first openly gay player to be drafted by an NFL team when
he was selected by the St. Louis Rams in the seventh round.
Name him.

B2. Last September, a former forward for the Canadian women's
hockey team, married a forward for the US women's hockey
team. Name *either*.

* C. LGBTQ Scientists

C1. This English mathematician and computer scientist received
a posthumous pardon from Queen Elizabeth II over his
prosecution and chemical castration for "gross indecency".
He died in 1954, possibly by suicide. Who?

C2. In her work, this influential cultural anthropologist
proposed that a person's sexual orientation should evolve
over time. Indeed she was married three times to men,
but spent the end of her life romantically involved with
fellow anthropologist Rhoda Metraux. Who?

* D. Famous LGBTQ Canadians

D1. This principal dancer and artist-in-residence for the
National Ballet competed with his fiance Bob Hope on the
second season of "The Amazing Race Canada". Who?

D2. This Canadian politician and broadcaster was the first openly
gay member of Ontario's provincial government. Under Dalton
McGuinty he was appointed Minister of Health and Deputy
Premier, also making him the province's first openly gay
cabinet minister. Who?

* E. Queer in Toronto

E1. This successful Toronto theater, founded in 1979, developed
a distinctly queer aesthetic and practice under the direction
of Skye Gilbert. Name it.

E2. Termed "the Queer Now magazine", name the Toronto free
weekly newspaper that covers news and popular culture
through an LGBQT2 lens.

* F. Historical Homophobia

F1. Name the mafia-owned inn in New York that gave its name to
a series of trans- and drag-led riots in June 1969.

F2. What did the Nazis make gay prisoners wear on their uniforms
in the concentration camps?

--
Mark Brader, Toronto | Using the wrong software counts as "user error".
m...@vex.net | --Julian Lighton

Calvin

Jul 29, 2019, 1:19:51 AM7/29/19
On Monday, July 29, 2019 at 2:53:27 PM UTC+10, Mark Brader wrote:

> ** Game 5, Round 9 - Geography - Australasia
>
> Here's a round on Australasia -- a catch-all term, first coined in
> the 18th Century, for Australia and the island countries around it.
>
> 1. Which country's capital is Port Moresby?

Papua New Guinea

> 2. Which country is composed chiefly of North Island, South Island,
> and Stewart Island?

New Zealand

> 3. The Indian Ocean borders Australia. Name *either* of the two
> seas that also border Australia.

Coral, Tasman
Arafura too I suspect

6

> 5. Name *any one* of the three principal exports of the island
> nation of Vanuatu.

Tourism

> 6. Where does Australia rank among nations by area?

Sixth

> 7. Within 10,000 years, how long ago did the first aborigines
> arrive in Australia?

50,000, 70,000
It is not known with any degree of certainty. Most estimates range from 40,000 years to 70,000, but it could have been even earlier.

> 8. What maritime-minded name is given to the geographic region
> comprising Australasia, Melanesia, Micronesia, and Polynesia?

Oceania, South Pacific

> 9. This island nation, near both the equator and the International
> Date Line, is composed of 1,156 individual islands and islets.
> Its capital is Majuro. Name it.

Federated States of Micronesia

> 10. What are the colors of the Australian flag?

Red, white and blue.

> ** Game 5, Round 10 - Challenge Round - In Honor of Pride Month
>
> * A. LGBTQ Authors
>
> A1. His first novel, "Go Tell It on the Mountain", and his
> book of essays "Notes of a Native Son", concentrated on race.
> But his second novel "Giovanni's Room" scandalized literary
> circles with its homoerotic content. Name that author.
>
> A2. Shyam Selvadurai's debut novel won the Lambda Literary Award
> for Gay Male Fiction and the Books in Canada First Novel
> Award. It is a coming-of-age novel set against the backdrop
> of the racial tensions leading up to the 1983 riots in
> Sri Lanka. Name the novel.
>

> * B. LGBTQ Athletes
>
> B1. In the 2014, this U of Missouri defensive end became the
> first openly gay player to be drafted by an NFL team when
> he was selected by the St. Louis Rams in the seventh round.
> Name him.
>
> B2. Last September, a former forward for the Canadian women's
> hockey team, married a forward for the US women's hockey
> team. Name *either*.
>

> * C. LGBTQ Scientists
>
> C1. This English mathematician and computer scientist received
> a posthumous pardon from Queen Elizabeth II over his
> prosecution and chemical castration for "gross indecency".
> He died in 1954, possibly by suicide. Who?

Turing

> C2. In her work, this influential cultural anthropologist
> proposed that a person's sexual orientation should evolve
> over time. Indeed she was married three times to men,
> but spent the end of her life romantically involved with
> fellow anthropologist Rhoda Metraux. Who?

de Bouvoir?

> * D. Famous LGBTQ Canadians
>
> D1. This principal dancer and artist-in-residence for the
> National Ballet competed with his fiance Bob Hope on the
> second season of "The Amazing Race Canada". Who?
>
> D2. This Canadian politician and broadcaster was the first openly
> gay member of Ontario's provincial government. Under Dalton
> McGuinty he was appointed Minister of Health and Deputy
> Premier, also making him the province's first openly gay
> cabinet minister. Who?
>

> * E. Queer in Toronto
>
> E1. This successful Toronto theater, founded in 1979, developed
> a distinctly queer aesthetic and practice under the direction
> of Skye Gilbert. Name it.
>
> E2. Termed "the Queer Now magazine", name the Toronto free
> weekly newspaper that covers news and popular culture
> through an LGBQT2 lens.
>

> * F. Historical Homophobia
>
> F1. Name the mafia-owned inn in New York that gave its name to
> a series of trans- and drag-led riots in June 1969.
>
> F2. What did the Nazis make gay prisoners wear on their uniforms
> in the concentration camps?

cheers,
calvin

Erland Sommarskog

Jul 29, 2019, 3:08:53 AM7/29/19
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> ** Game 5, Round 9 - Geography - Australasia
>
> Here's a round on Australasia -- a catch-all term, first coined in
> the 18th Century, for Australia and the island countries around it.
>
> 1. Which country's capital is Port Moresby?

Papua New Guinea

> 2. Which country is composed chiefly of North Island, South Island,
> and Stewart Island?

New Zealand

> 3. The Indian Ocean borders Australia. Name *either* of the two
> seas that also border Australia.

Sea of Tasman

> 4. How many states are in Australia?

Six

> 5. Name *any one* of the three principal exports of the island
> nation of Vanuatu.

The result of bird droppings

> 6. Where does Australia rank among nations by area?

6th

> 7. Within 10,000 years, how long ago did the first aborigines
> arrive in Australia?

40000

> 8. What maritime-minded name is given to the geographic region
> comprising Australasia, Melanesia, Micronesia, and Polynesia?

Oceania

> 9. This island nation, near both the equator and the International
> Date Line, is composed of 1,156 individual islands and islets.
> Its capital is Majuro. Name it.

Kiribati

> 10. What are the colors of the Australian flag?

Blue, white and red like most others.

> ** Game 5, Round 10 - Challenge Round - In Honor of Pride Month
>
> * C. LGBTQ Scientists
>
> C1. This English mathematician and computer scientist received
> a posthumous pardon from Queen Elizabeth II over his
> prosecution and chemical castration for "gross indecency".
> He died in 1954, possibly by suicide. Who?

Alan Turing

> F1. Name the mafia-owned inn in New York that gave its name to
> a series of trans- and drag-led riots in June 1969.

Stonewll

Joshua Kreitzer

Jul 29, 2019, 8:56:36 AM7/29/19
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:GpudncyHao1f5qPAnZ2dnUU7-
YPN...@giganews.com:

> ** Game 5, Round 9 - Geography - Australasia
>
> Here's a round on Australasia -- a catch-all term, first coined in
> the 18th Century, for Australia and the island countries around it.
>
> 1. Which country's capital is Port Moresby?

Papua New Guinea

> 2. Which country is composed chiefly of North Island, South Island,
> and Stewart Island?

New Zealand

> 3. The Indian Ocean borders Australia. Name *either* of the two
> seas that also border Australia.

Coral Sea; Tasman Sea

> 4. How many states are in Australia?

6

> 6. Where does Australia rank among nations by area?

7th; 8th

> 8. What maritime-minded name is given to the geographic region
> comprising Australasia, Melanesia, Micronesia, and Polynesia?

Oceania

> 9. This island nation, near both the equator and the International
> Date Line, is composed of 1,156 individual islands and islets.
> Its capital is Majuro. Name it.

Marshall Islands

> 10. What are the colors of the Australian flag?

red, white, and blue

> ** Game 5, Round 10 - Challenge Round - In Honor of Pride Month
>
> * A. LGBTQ Authors
>
> A1. His first novel, "Go Tell It on the Mountain", and his
> book of essays "Notes of a Native Son", concentrated on race.
> But his second novel "Giovanni's Room" scandalized literary
> circles with its homoerotic content. Name that author.

Baldwin

> * C. LGBTQ Scientists
>
> C1. This English mathematician and computer scientist received
> a posthumous pardon from Queen Elizabeth II over his
> prosecution and chemical castration for "gross indecency".
> He died in 1954, possibly by suicide. Who?

Turing

> * F. Historical Homophobia
>
> F1. Name the mafia-owned inn in New York that gave its name to
> a series of trans- and drag-led riots in June 1969.

Stonewall Inn

> F2. What did the Nazis make gay prisoners wear on their uniforms
> in the concentration camps?

pink triangle

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

Dan Blum

Jul 29, 2019, 9:52:56 AM7/29/19
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> ** Game 5, Round 9 - Geography - Australasia

> 1. Which country's capital is Port Moresby?

Papua New Guinea

> 2. Which country is composed chiefly of North Island, South Island,
> and Stewart Island?

New Zealand

> 3. The Indian Ocean borders Australia. Name *either* of the two
> seas that also border Australia.

Coral Sea

> 4. How many states are in Australia?

5

> 5. Name *any one* of the three principal exports of the island
> nation of Vanuatu.

bauxite; guano

> 6. Where does Australia rank among nations by area?

4th

> 7. Within 10,000 years, how long ago did the first aborigines
> arrive in Australia?

70,000 years

> 10. What are the colors of the Australian flag?

Blue, red, and white

> ** Game 5, Round 10 - Challenge Round - In Honor of Pride Month

> * C. LGBTQ Scientists

> C1. This English mathematician and computer scientist received
> a posthumous pardon from Queen Elizabeth II over his
> prosecution and chemical castration for "gross indecency".
> He died in 1954, possibly by suicide. Who?

Alan Turing

> C2. In her work, this influential cultural anthropologist
> proposed that a person's sexual orientation should evolve
> over time. Indeed she was married three times to men,
> but spent the end of her life romantically involved with
> fellow anthropologist Rhoda Metraux. Who?

Margaret Mead

> * F. Historical Homophobia

> F1. Name the mafia-owned inn in New York that gave its name to
> a series of trans- and drag-led riots in June 1969.

Stonewall

> F2. What did the Nazis make gay prisoners wear on their uniforms
> in the concentration camps?

pink triangles

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Pete Gayde

Jul 29, 2019, 9:12:37 PM7/29/19
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:GpudncyHao1f5qPAnZ2dnUU7-
YPN...@giganews.com:

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2019-06-17,

> Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of Unnatural Axxxe and are
> used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
> been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information see
> my 2019-01-22 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> ** Game 5, Round 9 - Geography - Australasia
>
> Here's a round on Australasia -- a catch-all term, first coined in
> the 18th Century, for Australia and the island countries around it.
>
> 1. Which country's capital is Port Moresby?

Papua New Guinea

> 2. Which country is composed chiefly of North Island, South Island,
> and Stewart Island?

New Zealand

> 3. The Indian Ocean borders Australia. Name *either* of the two
> seas that also border Australia.

Tasman

> 4. How many states are in Australia?

8; 9

> 5. Name *any one* of the three principal exports of the island
> nation of Vanuatu.

Bananas; Coffee

> 6. Where does Australia rank among nations by area?

6; 7

> 7. Within 10,000 years, how long ago did the first aborigines
> arrive in Australia?

50,000; 30,000

> 8. What maritime-minded name is given to the geographic region
> comprising Australasia, Melanesia, Micronesia, and Polynesia?

Windward Islands

> 9. This island nation, near both the equator and the International
> Date Line, is composed of 1,156 individual islands and islets.
> Its capital is Majuro. Name it.

Kiribati

> 10. What are the colors of the Australian flag?

Red, White, and Blue

> ** Game 5, Round 10 - Challenge Round - In Honor of Pride Month
>
> * A. LGBTQ Authors
>
> A1. His first novel, "Go Tell It on the Mountain", and his
> book of essays "Notes of a Native Son", concentrated on race.
> But his second novel "Giovanni's Room" scandalized literary
> circles with its homoerotic content. Name that author.
>
> A2. Shyam Selvadurai's debut novel won the Lambda Literary Award
> for Gay Male Fiction and the Books in Canada First Novel
> Award. It is a coming-of-age novel set against the backdrop
> of the racial tensions leading up to the 1983 riots in
> Sri Lanka. Name the novel.
>

> * B. LGBTQ Athletes
>
> B1. In the 2014, this U of Missouri defensive end became the
> first openly gay player to be drafted by an NFL team when
> he was selected by the St. Louis Rams in the seventh round.
> Name him.
>
> B2. Last September, a former forward for the Canadian women's
> hockey team, married a forward for the US women's hockey
> team. Name *either*.
>

> * C. LGBTQ Scientists
>
> C1. This English mathematician and computer scientist received
> a posthumous pardon from Queen Elizabeth II over his
> prosecution and chemical castration for "gross indecency".
> He died in 1954, possibly by suicide. Who?

Turing

> C2. In her work, this influential cultural anthropologist
> proposed that a person's sexual orientation should evolve
> over time. Indeed she was married three times to men,
> but spent the end of her life romantically involved with
> fellow anthropologist Rhoda Metraux. Who?
>

> * D. Famous LGBTQ Canadians
>
> D1. This principal dancer and artist-in-residence for the
> National Ballet competed with his fiance Bob Hope on the
> second season of "The Amazing Race Canada". Who?
>
> D2. This Canadian politician and broadcaster was the first openly
> gay member of Ontario's provincial government. Under Dalton
> McGuinty he was appointed Minister of Health and Deputy
> Premier, also making him the province's first openly gay
> cabinet minister. Who?
>

> * E. Queer in Toronto
>
> E1. This successful Toronto theater, founded in 1979, developed
> a distinctly queer aesthetic and practice under the direction
> of Skye Gilbert. Name it.
>
> E2. Termed "the Queer Now magazine", name the Toronto free
> weekly newspaper that covers news and popular culture
> through an LGBQT2 lens.
>

> * F. Historical Homophobia
>
> F1. Name the mafia-owned inn in New York that gave its name to
> a series of trans- and drag-led riots in June 1969.

Stonewall

> F2. What did the Nazis make gay prisoners wear on their uniforms
> in the concentration camps?

Pink triangle

Pete Gayde

Dan Tilque

Jul 30, 2019, 11:05:21 AM7/30/19
On 7/28/19 9:53 PM, Mark Brader wrote:

> ** Game 5, Round 9 - Geography - Australasia
>
> Here's a round on Australasia -- a catch-all term, first coined in
> the 18th Century, for Australia and the island countries around it.
>
> 1. Which country's capital is Port Moresby?

Papua New Guinea

> 2. Which country is composed chiefly of North Island, South Island,
> and Stewart Island?

New Zealand

> 3. The Indian Ocean borders Australia. Name *either* of the two
> seas that also border Australia.

Tasman Sea

> 4. How many states are in Australia?

6

> 5. Name *any one* of the three principal exports of the island
> nation of Vanuatu.
>
> 6. Where does Australia rank among nations by area?

7th

> 7. Within 10,000 years, how long ago did the first aborigines
> arrive in Australia?

60,000 years ago

> 8. What maritime-minded name is given to the geographic region
> comprising Australasia, Melanesia, Micronesia, and Polynesia?

Oceania

> 9. This island nation, near both the equator and the International
> Date Line, is composed of 1,156 individual islands and islets.
> Its capital is Majuro. Name it.

Kiribati

> 10. What are the colors of the Australian flag?

red white blue

--
Dan Tilque

Calvin

Jul 30, 2019, 8:05:20 PM7/30/19
On Monday, July 29, 2019 at 3:19:51 PM UTC+10, Calvin wrote:
> On Monday, July 29, 2019 at 2:53:27 PM UTC+10, Mark Brader wrote:

> > 3. The Indian Ocean borders Australia. Name *either* of the two
> > seas that also border Australia.
>
> Coral, Tasman
> Arafura too I suspect

And the Timor Sea as well!

cheers,
calvin

Mark Brader

Jul 31, 2019, 11:21:14 PM7/31/19
Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2019-06-17,
> see my 2019-01-22 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

Now Game 5 is over, and the winner is JOSHUA KREITZER. Hearty
congratulations!

> ** Game 5, Round 9 - Geography - Australasia

> Here's a round on Australasia -- a catch-all term, first coined in
> the 18th Century, for Australia and the island countries around it.

> 1. Which country's capital is Port Moresby?

Papua New Guinea. 4 for everyone -- Calvin, Erland, Joshua, Dan Blum,
Pete, and Dan Tilque.

> 2. Which country is composed chiefly of North Island, South Island,
> and Stewart Island?

New Zealand. 4 for everyone.

> 3. The Indian Ocean borders Australia. Name *either* of the two
> seas that also border Australia.

Coral Sea, Tasman Sea. And some others, Calvin believes. 4 for
Calvin (the hard way), Erland, Joshua (the hard way), Dan Blum,
Pete, and Dan Tilque.

> 4. How many states are in Australia?

6. (The other parts are territories.) 4 for Calvin, Erland, Joshua,
and Dan Tilque.

> 5. Name *any one* of the three principal exports of the island
> nation of Vanuatu.

Coffee, cocoa, beef. 2 for Pete.

> 6. Where does Australia rank among nations by area?

6th. (Brazil is 5th, India a rather distant 7th.) 4 for Calvin
and Erland. 3 for Pete.

> 7. Within 10,000 years, how long ago did the first aborigines
> arrive in Australia?

Estimates vary from 45,000 to 80,000 years, it turns out, so I'm
accepting 35,000 to 90,000. 4 for Calvin (the hard way), Erland,
Dan Blum, and Dan Tilque. 3 for Pete.

> 8. What maritime-minded name is given to the geographic region
> comprising Australasia, Melanesia, Micronesia, and Polynesia?

Oceania. 4 for Erland, Joshua, and Dan Tilque. 3 for Calvin.

> 9. This island nation, near both the equator and the International
> Date Line, is composed of 1,156 individual islands and islets.
> Its capital is Majuro. Name it.

Marshall Islands. 4 for Joshua.

> 10. What are the colors of the Australian flag?

Red, white, blue <http://www.crwflags.com/fotw/images/a/au.gif>.
4 for everyone.

(Oops, a 3-part answer.)

Erland adds "like most others". Not so; actually only about 1/8 of
all countries have flags using shades of those three colors and no
others. One list is: Australia, Chile, Costa Rica, Cuba, Czechia,
France, Iceland, Laos, Liberia, Luxembourg, Nepal, Netherlands,
New Zealand, North Korea, Norway, Panama, Russia, Samoa, Slovakia,
Taiwan, Thailand, UK, US. Some countries have multiple versions of
their flag, with and without a coat of arms or similar, and this as
well as the issue of what countries are independent will affect the
exact count.

However, on that list, Australia, Russia, and the US do account
by themselves for almost 1/4 of the world's inhabitable land area,
if everything but Antarctica counts as "inhabitable"...

> ** Game 5, Round 10 - Challenge Round - In Honor of Pride Month

This was the hardest round in the original game.

> * A. LGBTQ Authors

> A1. His first novel, "Go Tell It on the Mountain", and his
> book of essays "Notes of a Native Son", concentrated on race.
> But his second novel "Giovanni's Room" scandalized literary
> circles with its homoerotic content. Name that author.

James Baldwin. 4 for Joshua.

> A2. Shyam Selvadurai's debut novel won the Lambda Literary Award
> for Gay Male Fiction and the Books in Canada First Novel
> Award. It is a coming-of-age novel set against the backdrop
> of the racial tensions leading up to the 1983 riots in
> Sri Lanka. Name the novel.

"Funny Boy".

> * B. LGBTQ Athletes

> B1. In the 2014, this U of Missouri defensive end became the
> first openly gay player to be drafted by an NFL team when
> he was selected by the St. Louis Rams in the seventh round.
> Name him.

Michael Sam.

> B2. Last September, a former forward for the Canadian women's
> hockey team, married a forward for the US women's hockey
> team. Name *either*.

Gillian Apps, Meghan Duggan (respectively).

> * C. LGBTQ Scientists

> C1. This English mathematician and computer scientist received
> a posthumous pardon from Queen Elizabeth II over his
> prosecution and chemical castration for "gross indecency".
> He died in 1954, possibly by suicide. Who?

Alan Turing. 4 for everyone.

> C2. In her work, this influential cultural anthropologist
> proposed that a person's sexual orientation should evolve
> over time. Indeed she was married three times to men,
> but spent the end of her life romantically involved with
> fellow anthropologist Rhoda Metraux. Who?

Margaret Mead. 4 for Dan Blum and Dan Tilque.

> * D. Famous LGBTQ Canadians

> D1. This principal dancer and artist-in-residence for the
> National Ballet competed with his fiance Bob Hope on the
> second season of "The Amazing Race Canada". Who?

Rex Harrington.

> D2. This Canadian politician and broadcaster was the first openly
> gay member of Ontario's provincial government. Under Dalton
> McGuinty he was appointed Minister of Health and Deputy
> Premier, also making him the province's first openly gay
> cabinet minister. Who?

George Smitherman.

> * E. Queer in Toronto

> E1. This successful Toronto theater, founded in 1979, developed
> a distinctly queer aesthetic and practice under the direction
> of Skye Gilbert. Name it.

Buddies in Bad Times.

> E2. Termed "the Queer Now magazine", name the Toronto free
> weekly newspaper that covers news and popular culture
> through an LGBQT2 lens.

"Xtra".

> * F. Historical Homophobia

> F1. Name the mafia-owned inn in New York that gave its name to
> a series of trans- and drag-led riots in June 1969.

Stonewall Inn. 4 for Erland, Joshua, Dan Blum, Pete, and Dan Tilque.

> F2. What did the Nazis make gay prisoners wear on their uniforms
> in the concentration camps?

Pink triangles. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, and Pete.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 5 ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 5 6 5 8 9 10 BEST
TOPICS-> Can Ent Sci Aud Lit His Mis Geo Cha SEVEN
Joshua Kreitzer 33 36 28 28 24 32 36 28 16 221
Dan Blum 21 20 16 2 24 36 28 20 16 165
Pete Gayde 25 28 20 20 20 24 20 24 12 161
Dan Tilque 20 4 36 0 16 36 12 28 12 160
"Calvin" 0 11 7 11 12 32 0 31 4 108
Erland Sommarskog -- -- -- -- -- 20 0 32 8 60

--
Mark Brader | "I do have an idea ... based on the quite obvious fact
Toronto | that the number two is ridiculous and can't exist."

Erland Sommarskog

Aug 1, 2019, 3:57:34 AM8/1/19
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> Erland adds "like most others". Not so; actually only about 1/8 of
> all countries have flags using shades of those three colors and no
> others.

Well, at 1/8 you can't say it is a particular original combination. Compare
that to those that have blue and yellow!

Calvin

Aug 1, 2019, 10:26:27 PM8/1/19
On Thursday, August 1, 2019 at 1:21:14 PM UTC+10, Mark Brader wrote:

> > 3. The Indian Ocean borders Australia. Name *either* of the two
> > seas that also border Australia.
>
> Coral Sea, Tasman Sea. And some others, Calvin believes.

I'm not the only one :-) Arafura and Timor seas also border Australia.

https://www.ausmarinescience.com/marine-science-basics/oceanography-of-australia/

cheers,
calvin