QFTCICR19 Game 3, Rounds 7-8: computer languages, South America

Mark Brader

Feb 25, 2019, 1:30:29 AM2/25/19
These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2019-02-11,
and should be interpreted accordingly.

Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
the correct answers in about 3 days, if I can count to 3 correctly
this time.

All questions were written by members of the Cellar Rats and are
used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information see
my 2019-01-22 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

* Game 3, Round 7 - Science - Computer Languages and Environments

In each case name the computer language, operating system or other
environment that we describe.

1. This language was developed by the US Department of Defense
(DOD) in the 1950s. For many years it was the standard language
for commercial programming, and it's still used today, especially
on mainframe computer systems. Grace Hopper, who was in the
US Navy, was instrumental in the original design of the language.

2. This language was developed by IBM in the late 1950s and is
used for scientific calculations. It is still widely used today.

3. This is the standard language for creating web pages. It was
developed in the early 1990s by engineers and scientists at CERN.

4. This object-oriented language that sounds like a musical note
was developed by Microsoft around 2000.

5. This environment developed by Microsoft allows developers
to write, test, and install programs in a variety of languages.
It runs primarily on Microsoft Windows.

6. This object-oriented language was developed by Sun Microsystems
in the mid-1990s. Today it is a very popular programming
language, whose icon is a steaming cup of coffee.

7. Google designed this operating system for smartphones and
tablets.

8. This high-level commercial language, known by an acronym
similar to a Russian grenade launcher, was developed by IBM
in the 1960s. It is used extensively on their mid-range AS400
system. The language is still used by many large organizations
such as banks in their back-office systems.

9. Named after Lord Byron's daughter, this language was developed
by the DOD in the late 1970s and early 1980s to supersede
multiple languages that they were then using.

10. This language was developed in 1964 at Dartmouth College in
New Hampshire. It became very popular in the mid-1970s with the
emergence of microcomputers, but has since fallen in popularity
as the performance of computers has dramatically improved.

* Game 3, Round 8 - Geography - South America

1. What is the second-most-populous country in South America?

2. Of the capital cities of South American countries, which city
is the most southerly?

3. Which *two* countries in South America are landlocked?

4. Which *two* countries in South America do not border Brazil?

5. Which region in South America is still administered by a
European country? It has a spaceport from where the European
Space Agency and Russia launch rockets.

6. Which South American country has Dutch as its spoken language?

7. What is the main airline of Chile? Name *either* the current
one or its predecessor before a merger in about 2015.

8. What is the capital of Guyana?

9. What does Argentina call the Falkland Islands? Answer in Spanish.

10. In what year did Brasília replace Rio de Janeiro as Brazil's
capital? I'll allow you 3 years' leeway on this.

And hey, here we have an 11th question again.

11. As you may have heard, cannabis was recently legalized for
recreational use in Canada. Which South American country was
the first in the world to legalize it?

--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "What's fair got to do with it? It's going
m...@vex.net | to happen." -- Lawrence of Arabia

Joshua Kreitzer

Feb 25, 2019, 2:00:14 AM2/25/19
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:q4mdnRgbjqUdFu7BnZ2dnUU7-
L3N...@giganews.com:

> * Game 3, Round 7 - Science - Computer Languages and Environments
>
> In each case name the computer language, operating system or other
> environment that we describe.
>
> 1. This language was developed by the US Department of Defense
> (DOD) in the 1950s. For many years it was the standard language
> for commercial programming, and it's still used today, especially
> on mainframe computer systems. Grace Hopper, who was in the
> US Navy, was instrumental in the original design of the language.

Cobol; Fortran

> 2. This language was developed by IBM in the late 1950s and is
> used for scientific calculations. It is still widely used today.

Fortran; Cobol

> 3. This is the standard language for creating web pages. It was
> developed in the early 1990s by engineers and scientists at CERN.

HTML

> 4. This object-oriented language that sounds like a musical note
> was developed by Microsoft around 2000.

C#

> 6. This object-oriented language was developed by Sun Microsystems
> in the mid-1990s. Today it is a very popular programming
> language, whose icon is a steaming cup of coffee.

Java

> 7. Google designed this operating system for smartphones and
> tablets.

Android

> 9. Named after Lord Byron's daughter, this language was developed
> by the DOD in the late 1970s and early 1980s to supersede
> multiple languages that they were then using.

Ada

> 10. This language was developed in 1964 at Dartmouth College in
> New Hampshire. It became very popular in the mid-1970s with the
> emergence of microcomputers, but has since fallen in popularity
> as the performance of computers has dramatically improved.

Basic

> * Game 3, Round 8 - Geography - South America
>
> 1. What is the second-most-populous country in South America?

Argentina

> 2. Of the capital cities of South American countries, which city
> is the most southerly?

Santiago

> 3. Which *two* countries in South America are landlocked?

Bolivia and Paraguay

> 4. Which *two* countries in South America do not border Brazil?

Ecuador and Chile

> 5. Which region in South America is still administered by a
> European country? It has a spaceport from where the European
> Space Agency and Russia launch rockets.

French Guiana

> 6. Which South American country has Dutch as its spoken language?

Suriname

> 7. What is the main airline of Chile? Name *either* the current
> one or its predecessor before a merger in about 2015.

LAN

> 8. What is the capital of Guyana?

Georgetown

> 9. What does Argentina call the Falkland Islands? Answer in Spanish.

Islas Malvinas

> 10. In what year did Brasília replace Rio de Janeiro as Brazil's
> capital? I'll allow you 3 years' leeway on this.

1962

> And hey, here we have an 11th question again.
>
> 11. As you may have heard, cannabis was recently legalized for
> recreational use in Canada. Which South American country was
> the first in the world to legalize it?

Uruguay

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

Dan Blum

Feb 25, 2019, 10:14:59 AM2/25/19
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 3, Round 7 - Science - Computer Languages and Environments

> 1. This language was developed by the US Department of Defense
> (DOD) in the 1950s. For many years it was the standard language
> for commercial programming, and it's still used today, especially
> on mainframe computer systems. Grace Hopper, who was in the
> US Navy, was instrumental in the original design of the language.

COBOL

> 2. This language was developed by IBM in the late 1950s and is
> used for scientific calculations. It is still widely used today.

Fortran

> 3. This is the standard language for creating web pages. It was
> developed in the early 1990s by engineers and scientists at CERN.

HTML

> 4. This object-oriented language that sounds like a musical note
> was developed by Microsoft around 2000.

C#

> 5. This environment developed by Microsoft allows developers
> to write, test, and install programs in a variety of languages.
> It runs primarily on Microsoft Windows.

Visual Studio

> 6. This object-oriented language was developed by Sun Microsystems
> in the mid-1990s. Today it is a very popular programming
> language, whose icon is a steaming cup of coffee.

Java

> 7. Google designed this operating system for smartphones and
> tablets.

Android

> 8. This high-level commercial language, known by an acronym
> similar to a Russian grenade launcher, was developed by IBM
> in the 1960s. It is used extensively on their mid-range AS400
> system. The language is still used by many large organizations
> such as banks in their back-office systems.

RPG

> 9. Named after Lord Byron's daughter, this language was developed
> by the DOD in the late 1970s and early 1980s to supersede
> multiple languages that they were then using.

Ada

> 10. This language was developed in 1964 at Dartmouth College in
> New Hampshire. It became very popular in the mid-1970s with the
> emergence of microcomputers, but has since fallen in popularity
> as the performance of computers has dramatically improved.

BASIC

> * Game 3, Round 8 - Geography - South America

> 1. What is the second-most-populous country in South America?

Argentina

> 2. Of the capital cities of South American countries, which city
> is the most southerly?

Montevideo

> 3. Which *two* countries in South America are landlocked?

Paraguay and Bolivia

> 4. Which *two* countries in South America do not border Brazil?

Chile and Ecuador

> 5. Which region in South America is still administered by a
> European country? It has a spaceport from where the European
> Space Agency and Russia launch rockets.

French Guiana

> 6. Which South American country has Dutch as its spoken language?

Suriname

> 9. What does Argentina call the Falkland Islands? Answer in Spanish.

Malvinas

> 10. In what year did Bras?lia replace Rio de Janeiro as Brazil's
> capital? I'll allow you 3 years' leeway on this.

1965

> 11. As you may have heard, cannabis was recently legalized for
> recreational use in Canada. Which South American country was
> the first in the world to legalize it?

Colombia; Peru

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Dan Tilque

Feb 25, 2019, 11:12:49 AM2/25/19
Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 3, Round 7 - Science - Computer Languages and Environments
>
> In each case name the computer language, operating system or other
> environment that we describe.
>
> 1. This language was developed by the US Department of Defense
> (DOD) in the 1950s. For many years it was the standard language
> for commercial programming, and it's still used today, especially
> on mainframe computer systems. Grace Hopper, who was in the
> US Navy, was instrumental in the original design of the language.

COBOL

> 2. This language was developed by IBM in the late 1950s and is
> used for scientific calculations. It is still widely used today.

Fortran

> 3. This is the standard language for creating web pages. It was
> developed in the early 1990s by engineers and scientists at CERN.

html (or hypertext markup language, if you want the full name)

> 4. This object-oriented language that sounds like a musical note
> was developed by Microsoft around 2000.

C#

> 5. This environment developed by Microsoft allows developers
> to write, test, and install programs in a variety of languages.
> It runs primarily on Microsoft Windows.

Visual Studio

> 6. This object-oriented language was developed by Sun Microsystems
> in the mid-1990s. Today it is a very popular programming
> language, whose icon is a steaming cup of coffee.

Java

> 7. Google designed this operating system for smartphones and
> tablets.

Android

> 8. This high-level commercial language, known by an acronym
> similar to a Russian grenade launcher, was developed by IBM
> in the 1960s. It is used extensively on their mid-range AS400
> system. The language is still used by many large organizations
> such as banks in their back-office systems.

PL/I

> 9. Named after Lord Byron's daughter, this language was developed
> by the DOD in the late 1970s and early 1980s to supersede
> multiple languages that they were then using.

Ada

> 10. This language was developed in 1964 at Dartmouth College in
> New Hampshire. It became very popular in the mid-1970s with the
> emergence of microcomputers, but has since fallen in popularity
> as the performance of computers has dramatically improved.

Basic

> * Game 3, Round 8 - Geography - South America
>
> 1. What is the second-most-populous country in South America?

Colombia

> 2. Of the capital cities of South American countries, which city
> is the most southerly?

Montevideo

> 3. Which *two* countries in South America are landlocked?

Paraguay, Bolivia

> 4. Which *two* countries in South America do not border Brazil?

Ecuador, Chile

> 5. Which region in South America is still administered by a
> European country? It has a spaceport from where the European
> Space Agency and Russia launch rockets.

French Guiana

> 6. Which South American country has Dutch as its spoken language?

Suriname

> 7. What is the main airline of Chile? Name *either* the current
> one or its predecessor before a merger in about 2015.
>
> 8. What is the capital of Guyana?

Georgetown

> 9. What does Argentina call the Falkland Islands? Answer in Spanish.

Islas Malvinas

> 10. In what year did Brasília replace Rio de Janeiro as Brazil's
> capital? I'll allow you 3 years' leeway on this.

1965

> And hey, here we have an 11th question again.
>
> 11. As you may have heard, cannabis was recently legalized for
> recreational use in Canada. Which South American country was
> the first in the world to legalize it?

Uruguay

--
Dan Tilque

Bruce Bowler

Feb 25, 2019, 1:18:42 PM2/25/19
On Mon, 25 Feb 2019 00:30:24 -0600, Mark Brader wrote:

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2019-02-11, and
> should be interpreted accordingly.
>
> On each question you may give up to two answers, but if you give both a
> right answer and a wrong answer, there is a small penalty. Please post
> all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup, based only on
> your own knowledge. (In your answer posting, quote the questions and
> place your answer below each one.) I will reveal the correct answers in
> about 3 days, if I can count to 3 correctly this time.
>
> All questions were written by members of the Cellar Rats and are used
> here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have been retyped
> and/or edited by me. For further information see my 2019-01-22
> companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 3, Round 7 - Science - Computer Languages and Environments
>
> In each case name the computer language, operating system or other
> environment that we describe.
>
> 1. This language was developed by the US Department of Defense
> (DOD) in the 1950s. For many years it was the standard language for
> commercial programming, and it's still used today, especially on
> mainframe computer systems. Grace Hopper, who was in the US Navy,
> was instrumental in the original design of the language.

COBOL (COmmon Business Oriented Language)

> 2. This language was developed by IBM in the late 1950s and is
> used for scientific calculations. It is still widely used today.

FORTRAN (FORmula TRANslation)

> 3. This is the standard language for creating web pages. It was
> developed in the early 1990s by engineers and scientists at CERN.

HTML (HyperText Markup Language)

> 4. This object-oriented language that sounds like a musical note
> was developed by Microsoft around 2000.

C#

> 5. This environment developed by Microsoft allows developers
> to write, test, and install programs in a variety of languages. It
> runs primarily on Microsoft Windows.
>
> 6. This object-oriented language was developed by Sun Microsystems
> in the mid-1990s. Today it is a very popular programming language,
> whose icon is a steaming cup of coffee.

JAVA

> 7. Google designed this operating system for smartphones and
> tablets.

Android

> 8. This high-level commercial language, known by an acronym
> similar to a Russian grenade launcher, was developed by IBM in the
> 1960s. It is used extensively on their mid-range AS400 system. The
> language is still used by many large organizations such as banks in
> their back-office systems.

RPG

> 9. Named after Lord Byron's daughter, this language was developed
> by the DOD in the late 1970s and early 1980s to supersede multiple
> languages that they were then using.

ADA (lovelace)

> 10. This language was developed in 1964 at Dartmouth College in
> New Hampshire. It became very popular in the mid-1970s with the
> emergence of microcomputers, but has since fallen in popularity as
> the performance of computers has dramatically improved.

BASIC (Beginners Allpurpose Symbolic Instruction Code)

> * Game 3, Round 8 - Geography - South America
>
> 1. What is the second-most-populous country in South America?

Argentina

> 2. Of the capital cities of South American countries, which city
> is the most southerly?

Montevideo

> 3. Which *two* countries in South America are landlocked?

Paraguay and Bolivia

> 4. Which *two* countries in South America do not border Brazil?

Chile and Ecuador

> 5. Which region in South America is still administered by a
> European country? It has a spaceport from where the European Space
> Agency and Russia launch rockets.

Guyana

> 6. Which South American country has Dutch as its spoken language?

Suriname

> 7. What is the main airline of Chile? Name *either* the current
> one or its predecessor before a merger in about 2015.

LAN Chile

> 8. What is the capital of Guyana?

Georgetown

> 9. What does Argentina call the Falkland Islands? Answer in Spanish.

Malvinas

> 10. In what year did Brasília replace Rio de Janeiro as Brazil's
> capital? I'll allow you 3 years' leeway on this.

1962

> And hey, here we have an 11th question again.
>
> 11. As you may have heard, cannabis was recently legalized for
> recreational use in Canada. Which South American country was the
> first in the world to legalize it?

Uruguay

Pete Gayde

Feb 25, 2019, 4:30:20 PM2/25/19
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:q4mdnRgbjqUdFu7BnZ2dnUU7-
L3N...@giganews.com:

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2019-02-11,

> Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days, if I can count to 3 correctly
> this time.
>
> All questions were written by members of the Cellar Rats and are
> used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
> been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information see
> my 2019-01-22 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 3, Round 7 - Science - Computer Languages and Environments
>
> In each case name the computer language, operating system or other
> environment that we describe.
>
> 1. This language was developed by the US Department of Defense
> (DOD) in the 1950s. For many years it was the standard language
> for commercial programming, and it's still used today, especially
> on mainframe computer systems. Grace Hopper, who was in the
> US Navy, was instrumental in the original design of the language.

BASIC; FORTRAN

> 2. This language was developed by IBM in the late 1950s and is
> used for scientific calculations. It is still widely used today.

FORTRAN; BASIC

> 3. This is the standard language for creating web pages. It was
> developed in the early 1990s by engineers and scientists at CERN.

HTML

> 4. This object-oriented language that sounds like a musical note
> was developed by Microsoft around 2000.

C#

> 5. This environment developed by Microsoft allows developers
> to write, test, and install programs in a variety of languages.
> It runs primarily on Microsoft Windows.

.NET

> 6. This object-oriented language was developed by Sun Microsystems
> in the mid-1990s. Today it is a very popular programming
> language, whose icon is a steaming cup of coffee.

Java

> 7. Google designed this operating system for smartphones and
> tablets.

Android

> 8. This high-level commercial language, known by an acronym
> similar to a Russian grenade launcher, was developed by IBM
> in the 1960s. It is used extensively on their mid-range AS400
> system. The language is still used by many large organizations
> such as banks in their back-office systems.

COBOL

> 9. Named after Lord Byron's daughter, this language was developed
> by the DOD in the late 1970s and early 1980s to supersede
> multiple languages that they were then using.

Ruby

> 10. This language was developed in 1964 at Dartmouth College in
> New Hampshire. It became very popular in the mid-1970s with the
> emergence of microcomputers, but has since fallen in popularity
> as the performance of computers has dramatically improved.

Pascal

> * Game 3, Round 8 - Geography - South America
>
> 1. What is the second-most-populous country in South America?

Argentina

> 2. Of the capital cities of South American countries, which city
> is the most southerly?

Montevideo

> 3. Which *two* countries in South America are landlocked?

Bolivia and Paraguay

> 4. Which *two* countries in South America do not border Brazil?

Colombia and Chile; Ecuador and Chile

> 5. Which region in South America is still administered by a
> European country? It has a spaceport from where the European
> Space Agency and Russia launch rockets.

French Guyana

> 6. Which South American country has Dutch as its spoken language?

Suriname

> 7. What is the main airline of Chile? Name *either* the current
> one or its predecessor before a merger in about 2015.
>
> 8. What is the capital of Guyana?

Freetown

> 9. What does Argentina call the Falkland Islands? Answer in Spanish.

Islas Malvinas

> 10. In what year did Brasília replace Rio de Janeiro as Brazil's
> capital? I'll allow you 3 years' leeway on this.

1965; 1972

> And hey, here we have an 11th question again.
>
> 11. As you may have heard, cannabis was recently legalized for
> recreational use in Canada. Which South American country was
> the first in the world to legalize it?

Uruguay

Pete Gayde

Mark Brader

Feb 26, 2019, 1:17:30 AM2/26/19
Pete Gayde:
> Freetown

Not a bad guess -- you're only about 5,000 km or 3,000 miles off!
--
Mark Brader, Toronto, m...@vex.net
"Omit needless code! Omit needless code! Omit needless code!"

Erland Sommarskog

Feb 26, 2019, 2:29:58 PM2/26/19
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:

> * Game 3, Round 7 - Science - Computer Languages and Environments
>
> In each case name the computer language, operating system or other
> environment that we describe.
>
> 1. This language was developed by the US Department of Defense
> (DOD) in the 1950s. For many years it was the standard language
> for commercial programming, and it's still used today, especially
> on mainframe computer systems. Grace Hopper, who was in the
> US Navy, was instrumental in the original design of the language.

Cobol

> 2. This language was developed by IBM in the late 1950s and is
> used for scientific calculations. It is still widely used today.

Fortran

> 3. This is the standard language for creating web pages. It was
> developed in the early 1990s by engineers and scientists at CERN.

HTML

> 4. This object-oriented language that sounds like a musical note
> was developed by Microsoft around 2000.

C#

> 5. This environment developed by Microsoft allows developers
> to write, test, and install programs in a variety of languages.
> It runs primarily on Microsoft Windows.

.NET

> 6. This object-oriented language was developed by Sun Microsystems
> in the mid-1990s. Today it is a very popular programming
> language, whose icon is a steaming cup of coffee.

Java

> 7. Google designed this operating system for smartphones and
> tablets.

Android

> 8. This high-level commercial language, known by an acronym
> similar to a Russian grenade launcher, was developed by IBM
> in the 1960s. It is used extensively on their mid-range AS400
> system. The language is still used by many large organizations
> such as banks in their back-office systems.

RPG

> 9. Named after Lord Byron's daughter, this language was developed
> by the DOD in the late 1970s and early 1980s to supersede
> multiple languages that they were then using.

Ada

> 10. This language was developed in 1964 at Dartmouth College in
> New Hampshire. It became very popular in the mid-1970s with the
> emergence of microcomputers, but has since fallen in popularity
> as the performance of computers has dramatically improved.

PLC

> * Game 3, Round 8 - Geography - South America
>
> 1. What is the second-most-populous country in South America?

Colombia

> 2. Of the capital cities of South American countries, which city
> is the most southerly?

As we all know by now: Montevideo

> 3. Which *two* countries in South America are landlocked?

Paraguay and Bolivia

> 4. Which *two* countries in South America do not border Brazil?

Chile and Ecuador

> 5. Which region in South America is still administered by a
> European country? It has a spaceport from where the European
> Space Agency and Russia launch rockets.

French Guyana

> 6. Which South American country has Dutch as its spoken language?

Suriname

> 7. What is the main airline of Chile? Name *either* the current
> one or its predecessor before a merger in about 2015.

LANChile

> 8. What is the capital of Guyana?

Georgetown

> 9. What does Argentina call the Falkland Islands? Answer in Spanish.

Las Malvinas

Which also is administered from Europe. But there is no spaceport.

> 10. In what year did Brasília replace Rio de Janeiro as Brazil's
> capital? I'll allow you 3 years' leeway on this.

1960

> And hey, here we have an 11th question again.
>
> 11. As you may have heard, cannabis was recently legalized for
> recreational use in Canada. Which South American country was
> the first in the world to legalize it?

Uruguay

Calvin

Feb 26, 2019, 9:01:08 PM2/26/19
On Monday, February 25, 2019 at 4:30:29 PM UTC+10, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 3, Round 7 - Science - Computer Languages and Environments
>
> In each case name the computer language, operating system or other
> environment that we describe.
>
> 1. This language was developed by the US Department of Defense
> (DOD) in the 1950s. For many years it was the standard language
> for commercial programming, and it's still used today, especially
> on mainframe computer systems. Grace Hopper, who was in the
> US Navy, was instrumental in the original design of the language.
>
> 2. This language was developed by IBM in the late 1950s and is
> used for scientific calculations. It is still widely used today.

COBOL

> 3. This is the standard language for creating web pages. It was
> developed in the early 1990s by engineers and scientists at CERN.

HTML

> 4. This object-oriented language that sounds like a musical note
> was developed by Microsoft around 2000.

Doe, Ray

> 5. This environment developed by Microsoft allows developers
> to write, test, and install programs in a variety of languages.
> It runs primarily on Microsoft Windows.

Sandbox

> 6. This object-oriented language was developed by Sun Microsystems
> in the mid-1990s. Today it is a very popular programming
> language, whose icon is a steaming cup of coffee.

Java

> 7. Google designed this operating system for smartphones and
> tablets.

Android

> 8. This high-level commercial language, known by an acronym
> similar to a Russian grenade launcher, was developed by IBM
> in the 1960s. It is used extensively on their mid-range AS400
> system. The language is still used by many large organizations
> such as banks in their back-office systems.

No idea, but how many Russian grenade launchers does the question writer think people are familiar with?

> 9. Named after Lord Byron's daughter, this language was developed
> by the DOD in the late 1970s and early 1980s to supersede
> multiple languages that they were then using.

Ava

> 10. This language was developed in 1964 at Dartmouth College in
> New Hampshire. It became very popular in the mid-1970s with the
> emergence of microcomputers, but has since fallen in popularity
> as the performance of computers has dramatically improved.

Basic

> * Game 3, Round 8 - Geography - South America
>
> 1. What is the second-most-populous country in South America?

Colombia

> 2. Of the capital cities of South American countries, which city
> is the most southerly?

I believe that would be Montevideo

> 3. Which *two* countries in South America are landlocked?

Paraguay and Bolivia

> 4. Which *two* countries in South America do not border Brazil?

Ecuador, Chile

> 5. Which region in South America is still administered by a
> European country? It has a spaceport from where the European
> Space Agency and Russia launch rockets.

French Guyana

> 6. Which South American country has Dutch as its spoken language?

Suriname

> 7. What is the main airline of Chile? Name *either* the current
> one or its predecessor before a merger in about 2015.
>
> 8. What is the capital of Guyana?

Georgetown

> 9. What does Argentina call the Falkland Islands? Answer in Spanish.

Las Malvinas

> 10. In what year did Brasília replace Rio de Janeiro as Brazil's
> capital? I'll allow you 3 years' leeway on this.

1967, 1960

> And hey, here we have an 11th question again.
>
> 11. As you may have heard, cannabis was recently legalized for
> recreational use in Canada. Which South American country was
> the first in the world to legalize it?

Uruguay

cheers,
calvin

Mark Brader

Feb 28, 2019, 12:39:00 AM2/28/19
Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2019-02-11,
> see my 2019-01-22 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

> * Game 3, Round 7 - Science - Computer Languages and Environments

> In each case name the computer language, operating system or other
> environment that we describe.

> 1. This language was developed by the US Department of Defense
> (DOD) in the 1950s. For many years it was the standard language
> for commercial programming, and it's still used today, especially
> on mainframe computer systems. Grace Hopper, who was in the
> US Navy, was instrumental in the original design of the language.

COBOL. 4 for Dan Blum, Dan Tilque, Bruce, and Erland. 3 for Joshua.

> 2. This language was developed by IBM in the late 1950s and is
> used for scientific calculations. It is still widely used today.

FORTRAN (or Fortran these days). 4 for Dan Blum, Dan Tilque, Bruce,
and Erland. 3 for Joshua and Pete.

> 3. This is the standard language for creating web pages. It was
> developed in the early 1990s by engineers and scientists at CERN.

Hypertext Markup Language: HTML. 4 for everyone -- Joshua, Dan Blum,
Dan Tilque, Bruce, Pete, Erland, and Calvin.

> 4. This object-oriented language that sounds like a musical note
> was developed by Microsoft around 2000.

C# ["C-sharp"]. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, Dan Tilque, Bruce, Pete,
and Erland.

> 5. This environment developed by Microsoft allows developers
> to write, test, and install programs in a variety of languages.
> It runs primarily on Microsoft Windows.

.NET ["dot net"]. Also accepting Visual Studio and Sandbox, through
I'm not sure how completely each of the answers given meets the
description. 4 for Dan Blum, Dan Tilque, Pete, Erland, and Calvin.

> 6. This object-oriented language was developed by Sun Microsystems
> in the mid-1990s. Today it is a very popular programming
> language, whose icon is a steaming cup of coffee.

Java. 4 for everyone.

> 7. Google designed this operating system for smartphones and
> tablets.

Android. 4 for everyone.

> 8. This high-level commercial language, known by an acronym
> similar to a Russian grenade launcher, was developed by IBM
> in the 1960s. It is used extensively on their mid-range AS400
> system. The language is still used by many large organizations
> such as banks in their back-office systems.

RPG. 4 for Dan Blum, Bruce, and Erland.

> 9. Named after Lord Byron's daughter, this language was developed
> by the DOD in the late 1970s and early 1980s to supersede
> multiple languages that they were then using.

Ada. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, Dan Tilque, Bruce, Erland, and Calvin.

As for "superseding" multiple languages, see: http://xkcd.com/927

> 10. This language was developed in 1964 at Dartmouth College in
> New Hampshire. It became very popular in the mid-1970s with the
> emergence of microcomputers, but has since fallen in popularity
> as the performance of computers has dramatically improved.

BASIC. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, Dan Tilque, Bruce, and Calvin.

> * Game 3, Round 8 - Geography - South America

> 1. What is the second-most-populous country in South America?

Colombia. 4 for Dan Tilque, Erland, and Calvin.

> 2. Of the capital cities of South American countries, which city
> is the most southerly?

Montevideo. 4 for Dan Blum, Dan Tilque, Bruce, Pete, Erland,
and, yes, Calvin.

> 3. Which *two* countries in South America are landlocked?

Bolivia, Paraguay. 4 for everyone.

> 4. Which *two* countries in South America do not border Brazil?

Chile, Ecuador. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, Dan Tilque, Bruce, Erland,
and Calvin. 2 for Pete.

> 5. Which region in South America is still administered by a
> European country? It has a spaceport from where the European
> Space Agency and Russia launch rockets.

French Guiana. (Guyane Française.) It's part of France.
4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, Dan Tilque, Pete, Erland, and Calvin.

> 6. Which South American country has Dutch as its spoken language?

Suriname. 4 for everyone.

> 7. What is the main airline of Chile? Name *either* the current
> one or its predecessor before a merger in about 2015.

LATAM, LAN. 4 for Joshua, Bruce, and Erland.

LAN merged with Brazil-based TAM to create LATAM.

> 8. What is the capital of Guyana?

Georgetown. 4 for Joshua, Dan Tilque, Bruce, Erland, and Calvin.

> 9. What does Argentina call the Falkland Islands? Answer in Spanish.

Islas Malvinas. 4 for everyone.

> 10. In what year did Brasília replace Rio de Janeiro as Brazil's
> capital? I'll allow you 3 years' leeway on this.

1960 (accepting 1957-63). 4 for Joshua, Bruce, Erland, Dan Blum,
and Dan Tilque. 2 for Calvin.

In the original game no leeway was allowed, which most of us thought was
a bit rough. However, Erland did get it exactly.

> And hey, here we have an 11th question again.

> 11. As you may have heard, cannabis was recently legalized for
> recreational use in Canada. Which South American country was
> the first in the world to legalize it?

Uruguay (starting in 2014). 4 for Joshua, Dan Tilque, Bruce, Pete,
Erland, and Calvin.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 3 ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 7 8 BEST
TOPICS-> Spo His Ent Sci Geo THREE
Erland Sommarskog 0 28 4 36 44 108
Joshua Kreitzer 8 12 40 30 36 106
Dan Blum 4 16 28 40 28 96
Dan Tilque 12 20 4 36 40 96
"Calvin" 15 20 8 24 38 82
Bruce Bowler -- -- -- 36 36 72
Pete Gayde 16 6 11 23 26 65

--
Mark Brader | "In my youth", said the sage, as he shook his grey locks,
Toronto | "I kept all my verbs very supple
| Allow me to sell you a couple?" --John Dean (after Carroll)

Mark Brader

Feb 28, 2019, 12:40:16 AM2/28/19
Mark Brader:
> > 5. Which region in South America is still administered by a
> > European country? It has a spaceport from where the European
> > Space Agency and Russia launch rockets.

Erland Sommarskog:
> French Guyana

> > 9. What does Argentina call the Falkland Islands? Answer in Spanish.
>
> Las Malvinas
>
> Which also is administered from Europe.

Well, if you count the UK as in Europe. And the Falklands as South
America, for that matter. I mean, they are islands.

> But there is no spaceport.

Whew.
--
Mark Brader | "Nothing is more sacrosanct than our professional ethics.
Toronto | Fortunately, I know a trick to get around them."

Mark Brader

Feb 28, 2019, 12:42:33 AM2/28/19
[Repost with subject line corrected.]

Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2019-02-11,
> see my 2019-01-22 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

> * Game 3, Round 7 - Science - Computer Languages and Environments

> In each case name the computer language, operating system or other
> environment that we describe.

> 1. This language was developed by the US Department of Defense
> (DOD) in the 1950s. For many years it was the standard language
> for commercial programming, and it's still used today, especially
> on mainframe computer systems. Grace Hopper, who was in the
> US Navy, was instrumental in the original design of the language.

COBOL. 4 for Dan Blum, Dan Tilque, Bruce, and Erland. 3 for Joshua.

> 2. This language was developed by IBM in the late 1950s and is
> used for scientific calculations. It is still widely used today.

FORTRAN (or Fortran these days). 4 for Dan Blum, Dan Tilque, Bruce,
and Erland. 3 for Joshua and Pete.

> 3. This is the standard language for creating web pages. It was
> developed in the early 1990s by engineers and scientists at CERN.

Hypertext Markup Language: HTML. 4 for everyone -- Joshua, Dan Blum,
Dan Tilque, Bruce, Pete, Erland, and Calvin.

> 4. This object-oriented language that sounds like a musical note
> was developed by Microsoft around 2000.

C# ["C-sharp"]. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, Dan Tilque, Bruce, Pete,
and Erland.

> 5. This environment developed by Microsoft allows developers
> to write, test, and install programs in a variety of languages.
> It runs primarily on Microsoft Windows.

.NET ["dot net"]. Also accepting Visual Studio and Sandbox, through
I'm not sure how completely each of the answers given meets the
description. 4 for Dan Blum, Dan Tilque, Pete, Erland, and Calvin.

> 6. This object-oriented language was developed by Sun Microsystems
> in the mid-1990s. Today it is a very popular programming
> language, whose icon is a steaming cup of coffee.

Java. 4 for everyone.

> 7. Google designed this operating system for smartphones and
> tablets.

Android. 4 for everyone.

> [...]

> recreational use in Canada. Which South American country was
> the first in the world to legalize it?

Uruguay (starting in 2014). 4 for Joshua, Dan Tilque, Bruce, Pete,
Erland, and Calvin.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 3 ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 7 8 BEST
TOPICS-> Spo His Ent Sci Geo THREE
Erland Sommarskog 0 28 4 36 44 108
Joshua Kreitzer 8 12 40 30 36 106
Dan Blum 4 16 28 40 28 96
Dan Tilque 12 20 4 36 40 96
"Calvin" 15 20 8 24 38 82
Bruce Bowler -- -- -- 36 36 72
Pete Gayde 16 6 11 23 26 65

--
Mark Brader | "In my youth", said the sage, as he shook his grey locks,
Toronto | "I kept all my verbs very supple
m...@vex.net | By the use of these smileys -- one shilling a box --
| Allow me to sell you a couple?" --John Dean (after Carroll)

Erland Sommarskog

Feb 28, 2019, 4:05:03 AM2/28/19
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> Well, if you count the UK as in Europe. And the Falklands as South
> America, for that matter. I mean, they are islands.

Apparently, the quiz masters through Las Malvinas to be in South America,
since they had a question about. But you are right, they may not include
the UK in Europe.

Erland Sommarskog

Feb 28, 2019, 4:12:10 AM2/28/19
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
>> 5. This environment developed by Microsoft allows developers
>> to write, test, and install programs in a variety of languages.
>> It runs primarily on Microsoft Windows.
>
> .NET ["dot net"]. Also accepting Visual Studio and Sandbox, through
> I'm not sure how completely each of the answers given meets the
> description. 4 for Dan Blum, Dan Tilque, Pete, Erland, and Calvin.

I don't know about Sandbox, but Visual Studio definitely fits the
description, and a lot better than .NET. .NET is a run-time environment
that several languages can compile down to and use the same libraries. I
guess that JVM (Java Virtual Machine) is analoguous. Visual Studio is
the tool where you primarily build .NET applications, but you can use
VS for other languages too. VS itself is a shell, so you if you have your
own language, you can plug it into VS with some work. But Micrsoft also
ships support for C++ and SQL and maybe more languages that are not using
.NET. (With C++, you can use .NET, but it is mainly used to for native,
that is non-.NET, applications.)

I entered .NET myself, but when I saw people entering Visual Studio, I
realised that I had read the questoin carelessly, so I was surprised
to see that I got full points.

Mark Brader

Feb 28, 2019, 5:03:23 AM2/28/19
Mark Brader:
> > Well, if you count the UK as in Europe. And the Falklands as South
> > America, for that matter. I mean, they are islands.

Erland Sommarskog:
> Apparently, the quiz masters through Las Malvinas to be in South America,
> since they had a question about.

There is that.

> But you are right, they may not include the UK in Europe.

I'd be surprised if they didn't. You cooked it, all right.
--
Mark Brader | "Unregistered MSBs present very high risk as
Toronto | they are not regulated and therefore may not submit

Dan Blum

Feb 28, 2019, 8:56:30 AM2/28/19
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> > 10. In what year did Bras?lia replace Rio de Janeiro as Brazil's
> > capital? I'll allow you 3 years' leeway on this.

> 1960 (accepting 1957-63). 4 for Joshua, Bruce, Erland, Dan Blum,
> and Dan Tilque. 2 for Calvin.

I answered 1965.

Mark Brader

Feb 28, 2019, 4:11:00 PM2/28/19
Mark Brader:
>>> 10. In what year did Brasília replace Rio de Janeiro as Brazil's
>>> capital? I'll allow you 3 years' leeway on this.

>> 1960 (accepting 1957-63). 4 for Joshua, Bruce, Erland, Dan Blum,
>> and Dan Tilque. 2 for Calvin.

Dan Blum:
> I answered 1965.

Whoops! And so did Dan Tilque. Sorry about that, folks.
4 for Joshua, Bruce, and Erland only, then. And 2 for Calvin.

Scores, if there are now no errors:

GAME 3 ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 7 8 BEST
TOPICS-> Spo His Ent Sci Geo THREE
Erland Sommarskog 0 28 4 36 44 108
Joshua Kreitzer 8 12 40 30 36 106
Dan Blum 4 16 28 40 24 92
Dan Tilque 12 20 4 36 36 92
"Calvin" 15 20 8 24 38 82
Bruce Bowler -- -- -- 36 36 72
Pete Gayde 16 6 11 23 26 65

--
Mark Brader "So the American government went to IBM
Toronto to come up with a data encryption standard

Dan Tilque

Feb 28, 2019, 9:01:37 PM2/28/19
Mark Brader wrote:

>> But you are right, they may not include the UK in Europe.
>
> I'd be surprised if they didn't. You cooked it, all right.

Perhaps they were just anticipating Brexit...

--
Dan Tilque

Dan Tilque

Feb 28, 2019, 9:08:33 PM2/28/19
Mark Brader wrote:

>> 10. In what year did Brasília replace Rio de Janeiro as Brazil's
>> capital? I'll allow you 3 years' leeway on this.
>
> 1960 (accepting 1957-63). 4 for Joshua, Bruce, Erland, Dan Blum,
> and Dan Tilque. 2 for Calvin.

Much as I hate to lose the points, I must point out that my answer was
1965, so I wasn't close enough to score.

--
Dan Tilque

Dan Tilque

Feb 28, 2019, 9:09:54 PM2/28/19
Oops, didn't read the full thread. Looks like Mark already caught this.

--
Dan Tilque

Mark Brader

Feb 28, 2019, 10:09:00 PM2/28/19
Dan Tilque:
> Oops, didn't read the full thread. Looks like Mark already caught this.

Well, Dan Blum did.
--
Mark Brader | I passed a sign that said "you are here",
Toronto | but I didn't entirely believe it.

Mark Brader

Feb 28, 2019, 10:43:25 PM2/28/19
Mark Brader:
> > 2. Of the capital cities of South American countries, which city
> > is the most southerly?
>
> Montevideo. 4 for Dan Blum, Dan Tilque, Bruce, Pete, Erland,
> and, yes, Calvin.

See also the map in:

http://www.sporcle.com/games/timmylemoine1/south-american-capitals-alphabetical-mines-pc

--
Mark Brader | "...'consulted' the public, using 'consulted' with
Toronto | the special meaning of 'told them what I think'."