QFTCIUA19 Game 10, Rounds 7-8: musicians' names, acronyms

Mark Brader

Sep 26, 2019, 5:54:34 AM9/26/19
These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2019-07-29,
and should be interpreted accordingly.

Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

All questions were written by members of Unnatural Axxxe and are
used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information see
my 2019-01-22 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

* Game 10, Round 7 - Entertainment - Real Names of Musicians

We describe a band or musician using people's real names. You give
the band's name or the artist's stage name, as applicable.

1. Gary Lee Weinrib and Aleksandar Zivojinovic are two members of
which world-famous Canadian rock trio?

2. Chaim Witz, Stanley Harvey Eisen, George Peter John Criscuola,
and Paul Daniel Frehley were the founding members of which
famous American band?

3. An original cast member of "The Phantom of the Opera" stage
musical, Michael Dumble-Smith also played "Hero" in the movie
version of "A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum".

4. Singer, songwriter, actress, and cultural icon Édith Giovana
Gassion's stage name comes from the colloquial French term
for sparrow.

5. Alecia Beth Moore took her stage name from a character in the
film "Reservoir Dogs".

6. Stefani Joanne Angelina Germanotta found her stage name in a
song by Queen.

7. Eleanora Fagan was nicknamed "Lady Day" by her friend and
musical partner Lester Young.

8. Singer, songwriter, and actor Walden Robert Perciville Cassotto
was married to actress Sandra Dee in 1960. He died young at
age 37.

9. Rapper Calvin Cordozar Broadus Jr. was discovered by Dr. Dre
and has sold over 30,000,000 albums world wide.

10. Canadian musician, singer-songwriter, and painter Roberta Joan
Anderson began her career singing in nightclubs in Western
Canada and busking in the streets of Toronto.

* Game 10, Round 8 - Miscellaneous - Online Acronyms

OMG! LOL! WTF? Here's a round on Internet shorthand, the
truncated 21st-century version of the English language. No texting
your teens for help here. We give you the acronym and a clue,
you tell us what it stands for in text-speak.

1. AFAIK -- a qualifier.
2. OTOH -- an equivocation.
3. TTYL -- a sign-off.
4. IDK -- an admission.
5. NOYB -- a somewhat rude response to a query.
6. 4YEO -- a limited response.
7. ROTFLMAO -- You wrote something really funny.
8. IMHO -- A modest qualifier.
9. YOLO -- We're getting philosophical here.
10. SMH -- an expression of exasperation.

--
Mark Brader | [It was] placed there... by secret moon landings used to
Toronto | cover up the conspiracy that they never landed on the Moon.

Dan Blum

Sep 26, 2019, 9:42:51 AM9/26/19
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 10, Round 7 - Entertainment - Real Names of Musicians

> 1. Gary Lee Weinrib and Aleksandar Zivojinovic are two members of
> which world-famous Canadian rock trio?

Rush

> 2. Chaim Witz, Stanley Harvey Eisen, George Peter John Criscuola,
> and Paul Daniel Frehley were the founding members of which
> famous American band?

Kiss

> 4. Singer, songwriter, actress, and cultural icon ?dith Giovana
> Gassion's stage name comes from the colloquial French term
> for sparrow.

Edith Piaf

> 5. Alecia Beth Moore took her stage name from a character in the
> film "Reservoir Dogs".

Pink

> 6. Stefani Joanne Angelina Germanotta found her stage name in a
> song by Queen.

Lady Gaga

> 7. Eleanora Fagan was nicknamed "Lady Day" by her friend and
> musical partner Lester Young.

Billie Holiday

> * Game 10, Round 8 - Miscellaneous - Online Acronyms

> 1. AFAIK -- a qualifier.

as far as I know

> 2. OTOH -- an equivocation.

on the other hand

> 3. TTYL -- a sign-off.

talk to you later

> 4. IDK -- an admission.

I don't know

> 5. NOYB -- a somewhat rude response to a query.

none of your business

> 6. 4YEO -- a limited response.

for your eyes only

> 7. ROTFLMAO -- You wrote something really funny.

rolling on the floor laughing my ass off

> 8. IMHO -- A modest qualifier.

in my humble opinion

> 9. YOLO -- We're getting philosophical here.

you only live once

> 10. SMH -- an expression of exasperation.

shaking my head

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Bruce Bowler

Sep 26, 2019, 1:17:27 PM9/26/19
On Thu, 26 Sep 2019 04:54:29 -0500, Mark Brader wrote:

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2019-07-29, and
> should be interpreted accordingly.
>
> On each question you may give up to two answers, but if you give both a
> right answer and a wrong answer, there is a small penalty. Please post
> all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
> based only on your own knowledge. (In your answer posting, quote the
> questions and place your answer below each one.) I will reveal the
> correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of Unnatural Axxxe and are used
> here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have been retyped
> and/or edited by me. For further information see my 2019-01-22
> companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 10, Round 7 - Entertainment - Real Names of Musicians
>
> We describe a band or musician using people's real names. You give the
> band's name or the artist's stage name, as applicable.
>
> 1. Gary Lee Weinrib and Aleksandar Zivojinovic are two members of
> which world-famous Canadian rock trio?

Rush

> 2. Chaim Witz, Stanley Harvey Eisen, George Peter John Criscuola,
> and Paul Daniel Frehley were the founding members of which famous
> American band?

KISS

> 4. Singer, songwriter, actress, and cultural icon Édith Giovana
> Gassion's stage name comes from the colloquial French term for
> sparrow.

Edith Piaf

> 6. Stefani Joanne Angelina Germanotta found her stage name in a
> song by Queen.

Lady Gaga

> 7. Eleanora Fagan was nicknamed "Lady Day" by her friend and
> musical partner Lester Young.

Billy Holiday

> 8. Singer, songwriter, and actor Walden Robert Perciville Cassotto
> was married to actress Sandra Dee in 1960. He died young at age 37.

Bobby Darin

> 9. Rapper Calvin Cordozar Broadus Jr. was discovered by Dr. Dre
> and has sold over 30,000,000 albums world wide.

Snoop dog

> * Game 10, Round 8 - Miscellaneous - Online Acronyms
>
> OMG! LOL! WTF? Here's a round on Internet shorthand, the truncated
> 21st-century version of the English language. No texting your teens for
> help here. We give you the acronym and a clue,
> you tell us what it stands for in text-speak.
>
> 1. AFAIK -- a qualifier.

As far as I know

> 2. OTOH -- an equivocation.

On the other hand

> 3. TTYL -- a sign-off.

Talk to you later

> 4. IDK -- an admission.

I don't know

> 5. NOYB -- a somewhat rude response to a query.

None of your business

> 6. 4YEO -- a limited response.

For your eyes only

> 7. ROTFLMAO -- You wrote something really funny.

Rolling on the floor, laughing my ass off

> 8. IMHO -- A modest qualifier.

In my humble {or honest} opinion

> 9. YOLO -- We're getting philosophical here.

You only live once

> 10. SMH -- an expression of exasperation.

Shaking my head

Erland Sommarskog

Sep 26, 2019, 2:53:59 PM9/26/19
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> * Game 10, Round 7 - Entertainment - Real Names of Musicians
>
> We describe a band or musician using people's real names. You give
> the band's name or the artist's stage name, as applicable.
>
> 1. Gary Lee Weinrib and Aleksandar Zivojinovic are two members of
> which world-famous Canadian rock trio?

Rush

> 2. Chaim Witz, Stanley Harvey Eisen, George Peter John Criscuola,
> and Paul Daniel Frehley were the founding members of which
> famous American band?

Kiss

> 4. Singer, songwriter, actress, and cultural icon Édith Giovana
> Gassion's stage name comes from the colloquial French term
> for sparrow.

Edit Piaf

> 5. Alecia Beth Moore took her stage name from a character in the
> film "Reservoir Dogs".

Rihanna

> 6. Stefani Joanne Angelina Germanotta found her stage name in a
> song by Queen.

Lady Gaga

> 7. Eleanora Fagan was nicknamed "Lady Day" by her friend and
> musical partner Lester Young.

Barbara Streisand

> 8. Singer, songwriter, and actor Walden Robert Perciville Cassotto
> was married to actress Sandra Dee in 1960. He died young at
> age 37.

Elvis Presley

> 10. Canadian musician, singer-songwriter, and painter Roberta Joan
> Anderson began her career singing in nightclubs in Western
> Canada and busking in the streets of Toronto.

Joni MItchell

> * Game 10, Round 8 - Miscellaneous - Online Acronyms
>
> OMG! LOL! WTF? Here's a round on Internet shorthand, the
> truncated 21st-century version of the English language. No texting
> your teens for help here. We give you the acronym and a clue,
> you tell us what it stands for in text-speak.
>
> 1. AFAIK -- a qualifier.

As far as I know it means "As far as I know"

> 2. OTOH -- an equivocation.

On the other hand

> 3. TTYL -- a sign-off.

Talk to you later

> 5. NOYB -- a somewhat rude response to a query.

None of your business

> 6. 4YEO -- a limited response.

FOr your eyes only

> 7. ROTFLMAO -- You wrote something really funny.

Rolling on the floor laughing my a???? out

> 8. IMHO -- A modest qualifier.

In my humble opinion

Joshua Kreitzer

Sep 26, 2019, 8:12:13 PM9/26/19
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:abydncMLrItIFxHAnZ2dnUU7-
aHN...@giganews.com:

> * Game 10, Round 7 - Entertainment - Real Names of Musicians
>
> We describe a band or musician using people's real names. You give
> the band's name or the artist's stage name, as applicable.
>
> 1. Gary Lee Weinrib and Aleksandar Zivojinovic are two members of
> which world-famous Canadian rock trio?

Rush

> 2. Chaim Witz, Stanley Harvey Eisen, George Peter John Criscuola,
> and Paul Daniel Frehley were the founding members of which
> famous American band?

Kiss

> 3. An original cast member of "The Phantom of the Opera" stage
> musical, Michael Dumble-Smith also played "Hero" in the movie
> version of "A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum".

Michael Crawford

> 4. Singer, songwriter, actress, and cultural icon Édith Giovana
> Gassion's stage name comes from the colloquial French term
> for sparrow.

Edith Piaf

> 5. Alecia Beth Moore took her stage name from a character in the
> film "Reservoir Dogs".

Pink

> 6. Stefani Joanne Angelina Germanotta found her stage name in a
> song by Queen.

Lady Gaga

> 7. Eleanora Fagan was nicknamed "Lady Day" by her friend and
> musical partner Lester Young.

Billie Holiday

> 8. Singer, songwriter, and actor Walden Robert Perciville Cassotto
> was married to actress Sandra Dee in 1960. He died young at
> age 37.

Bobby Darin

> 9. Rapper Calvin Cordozar Broadus Jr. was discovered by Dr. Dre
> and has sold over 30,000,000 albums world wide.

Snoop Dogg

> 10. Canadian musician, singer-songwriter, and painter Roberta Joan
> Anderson began her career singing in nightclubs in Western
> Canada and busking in the streets of Toronto.

Joni Mitchell

> * Game 10, Round 8 - Miscellaneous - Online Acronyms
>
> We give you the acronym and a clue,
> you tell us what it stands for in text-speak.
>
> 1. AFAIK -- a qualifier.

as far as I know

> 2. OTOH -- an equivocation.

on the other hand

> 3. TTYL -- a sign-off.

talk to you later

> 4. IDK -- an admission.

I don't know

> 5. NOYB -- a somewhat rude response to a query.

none of your business

> 6. 4YEO -- a limited response.

for your eyes only

> 7. ROTFLMAO -- You wrote something really funny.

rolling on the floor laughing my ass off

> 8. IMHO -- A modest qualifier.

in my humble opinion

> 9. YOLO -- We're getting philosophical here.

you only live once

> 10. SMH -- an expression of exasperation.

shaking my head

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

Calvin

Sep 26, 2019, 8:26:54 PM9/26/19
On Thursday, September 26, 2019 at 7:54:34 PM UTC+10, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 10, Round 7 - Entertainment - Real Names of Musicians
>
> We describe a band or musician using people's real names. You give
> the band's name or the artist's stage name, as applicable.
>
> 1. Gary Lee Weinrib and Aleksandar Zivojinovic are two members of
> which world-famous Canadian rock trio?
>
> 2. Chaim Witz, Stanley Harvey Eisen, George Peter John Criscuola,
> and Paul Daniel Frehley were the founding members of which
> famous American band?

KISS

> 3. An original cast member of "The Phantom of the Opera" stage
> musical, Michael Dumble-Smith also played "Hero" in the movie
> version of "A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum".

Crawford

> 4. Singer, songwriter, actress, and cultural icon Édith Giovana
> Gassion's stage name comes from the colloquial French term
> for sparrow.

Edith Piaf

> 5. Alecia Beth Moore took her stage name from a character in the
> film "Reservoir Dogs".

Pink

> 6. Stefani Joanne Angelina Germanotta found her stage name in a
> song by Queen.

Lady GaGa

> 7. Eleanora Fagan was nicknamed "Lady Day" by her friend and
> musical partner Lester Young.

Billie Holliday

> 8. Singer, songwriter, and actor Walden Robert Perciville Cassotto
> was married to actress Sandra Dee in 1960. He died young at
> age 37.
>
> 9. Rapper Calvin Cordozar Broadus Jr. was discovered by Dr. Dre
> and has sold over 30,000,000 albums world wide.

Childish Gambino, Jay-Z

> 10. Canadian musician, singer-songwriter, and painter Roberta Joan
> Anderson began her career singing in nightclubs in Western
> Canada and busking in the streets of Toronto.

Baez

> * Game 10, Round 8 - Miscellaneous - Online Acronyms
>
> OMG! LOL! WTF? Here's a round on Internet shorthand, the
> truncated 21st-century version of the English language. No texting
> your teens for help here. We give you the acronym and a clue,
> you tell us what it stands for in text-speak.
>
> 1. AFAIK -- a qualifier.

As far as I know

> 2. OTOH -- an equivocation.

On the other hand

> 3. TTYL -- a sign-off.

Talk to you later

> 4. IDK -- an admission.

I don't know

> 5. NOYB -- a somewhat rude response to a query.

None of your business

> 6. 4YEO -- a limited response.

For your eyes only

> 7. ROTFLMAO -- You wrote something really funny.

Rolling on the floor laughing my arms off

> 8. IMHO -- A modest qualifier.

In my humble opinion

> 9. YOLO -- We're getting philosophical here.

You only live once

> 10. SMH -- an expression of exasperation.

Sweet mother hen? Shave my head?

cheers,
calvin

Dan Tilque

Sep 27, 2019, 4:55:22 AM9/27/19
As Far As I Know

> 2. OTOH -- an equivocation.

On The Other Hand

> 3. TTYL -- a sign-off.

Talk To You Later

> 4. IDK -- an admission.

I Don't Know

> 5. NOYB -- a somewhat rude response to a query.

None Of Your Business

> 6. 4YEO -- a limited response.

For Your Eyes Only

> 7. ROTFLMAO -- You wrote something really funny.

Rolling On The Floor, Laughing My Ass Off

> 8. IMHO -- A modest qualifier.

In My Humble Opinion

> 9. YOLO -- We're getting philosophical here.

You Only Live Once

> 10. SMH -- an expression of exasperation.

So Much Hate

--
Dan Tilque

Pete Gayde

Sep 29, 2019, 3:26:13 PM9/29/19
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:abydncMLrItIFxHAnZ2dnUU7-
aHN...@giganews.com:

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2019-07-29,

> Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of Unnatural Axxxe and are
> used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
> been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information see
> my 2019-01-22 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 10, Round 7 - Entertainment - Real Names of Musicians
>
> We describe a band or musician using people's real names. You give
> the band's name or the artist's stage name, as applicable.
>
> 1. Gary Lee Weinrib and Aleksandar Zivojinovic are two members of
> which world-famous Canadian rock trio?

Rush

> 2. Chaim Witz, Stanley Harvey Eisen, George Peter John Criscuola,
> and Paul Daniel Frehley were the founding members of which
> famous American band?

KISS

> 3. An original cast member of "The Phantom of the Opera" stage
> musical, Michael Dumble-Smith also played "Hero" in the movie
> version of "A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum".

Phil Silvers

> 4. Singer, songwriter, actress, and cultural icon Édith Giovana
> Gassion's stage name comes from the colloquial French term
> for sparrow.

Adele

> 5. Alecia Beth Moore took her stage name from a character in the
> film "Reservoir Dogs".
>
> 6. Stefani Joanne Angelina Germanotta found her stage name in a
> song by Queen.

Gwen Stefani

> 7. Eleanora Fagan was nicknamed "Lady Day" by her friend and
> musical partner Lester Young.

Billie Holliday

> 8. Singer, songwriter, and actor Walden Robert Perciville Cassotto
> was married to actress Sandra Dee in 1960. He died young at
> age 37.

Bobby Darin

> 9. Rapper Calvin Cordozar Broadus Jr. was discovered by Dr. Dre
> and has sold over 30,000,000 albums world wide.

Snoop Dogg

> 10. Canadian musician, singer-songwriter, and painter Roberta Joan
> Anderson began her career singing in nightclubs in Western
> Canada and busking in the streets of Toronto.

Joni Mitchell

> * Game 10, Round 8 - Miscellaneous - Online Acronyms
>
> OMG! LOL! WTF? Here's a round on Internet shorthand, the
> truncated 21st-century version of the English language. No texting
> your teens for help here. We give you the acronym and a clue,
> you tell us what it stands for in text-speak.
>
> 1. AFAIK -- a qualifier.

As Far As I Know

> 2. OTOH -- an equivocation.

On The Other Hand

> 3. TTYL -- a sign-off.

Talk To You Later

> 4. IDK -- an admission.

I Don't Know

> 5. NOYB -- a somewhat rude response to a query.

None Of Your Business

> 6. 4YEO -- a limited response.

For Your Eyes Only

> 7. ROTFLMAO -- You wrote something really funny.

Rolling On The Floor Laughing My Ass Off

> 8. IMHO -- A modest qualifier.

In My Humble Opinion

> 9. YOLO -- We're getting philosophical here.

You Only Live Once

> 10. SMH -- an expression of exasperation.

Smacking My Head

Pete Gayde

Mark Brader

Sep 29, 2019, 4:22:57 PM9/29/19
Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2019-07-29,
> see my 2019-01-22 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

> * Game 10, Round 7 - Entertainment - Real Names of Musicians

> We describe a band or musician using people's real names. You give
> the band's name or the artist's stage name, as applicable.

"Jeopardy!" did a similar category the same day I posted this round,
but in their case it was limited to hip-hop musicians, and only one
question overlapped with our version.

> 1. Gary Lee Weinrib and Aleksandar Zivojinovic are two members of
> which world-famous Canadian rock trio?

Rush. 4 for Dan Blum, Bruce, Erland, Joshua, and Pete.

> 2. Chaim Witz, Stanley Harvey Eisen, George Peter John Criscuola,
> and Paul Daniel Frehley were the founding members of which
> famous American band?

Kiss. 4 for Dan Blum, Bruce, Erland, Joshua, Calvin, and Pete.

> 3. An original cast member of "The Phantom of the Opera" stage
> musical, Michael Dumble-Smith also played "Hero" in the movie
> version of "A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum".

Michael Crawford 4 for Joshua and Calvin.

> 4. Singer, songwriter, actress, and cultural icon Édith Giovana
> Gassion's stage name comes from the colloquial French term
> for sparrow.

Édith Piaf. 4 for Dan Blum, Bruce, Erland, Joshua, and Calvin.

> 5. Alecia Beth Moore took her stage name from a character in the
> film "Reservoir Dogs".

Pink or P!nk. 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, and Calvin.

> 6. Stefani Joanne Angelina Germanotta found her stage name in a
> song by Queen.

Lady Gaga (from "Radio Ga Ga"). 4 for Dan Blum, Bruce, Erland,
Joshua, and Calvin.

> 7. Eleanora Fagan was nicknamed "Lady Day" by her friend and
> musical partner Lester Young.

Billie Holiday. 4 for Dan Blum, Bruce, Joshua, Calvin, and Pete.

> 8. Singer, songwriter, and actor Walden Robert Perciville Cassotto
> was married to actress Sandra Dee in 1960. He died young at
> age 37.

Bobby Darin. 4 for Bruce, Joshua, and Pete.

> 9. Rapper Calvin Cordozar Broadus Jr. was discovered by Dr. Dre
> and has sold over 30,000,000 albums world wide.

Snoop Dogg, aka Snoop Doggy Dogg, Snoop Lion, DJ Snoopadelic,
and Snoopzilla. 4 for Bruce, Joshua, and Pete.

This is the one that was in the "Jeopardy!" round. In their case,
they gave his first and last name only, but also the additional hint
that he took his stage name from "Peanuts".

> 10. Canadian musician, singer-songwriter, and painter Roberta Joan
> Anderson began her career singing in nightclubs in Western
> Canada and busking in the streets of Toronto.

Joni Mitchell. 4 for Erland, Joshua, and Pete.

> * Game 10, Round 8 - Miscellaneous - Online Acronyms

> OMG! LOL! WTF? Here's a round on Internet shorthand, the
> truncated 21st-century version of the English language. No texting
> your teens for help here. We give you the acronym and a clue,
> you tell us what it stands for in text-speak.

You knew this was coming -- in the original game, this was the
easiest round in the entire season.

> 1. AFAIK -- a qualifier.

As far as I know. 4 for everyone -- Dan Blum, Bruce, Erland (or in
this case Erland Erland), Joshua, Calvin, Dan Tilque, and Pete.

> 2. OTOH -- an equivocation.

On the other hand. 4 for everyone.

> 3. TTYL -- a sign-off.

Talk to you later. 4 for everyone.

> 4. IDK -- an admission.

I don't know. (Accidental answers accepted.) 4 for Dan Blum, Bruce,
Joshua, Calvin, Dan Tilque, and Pete.

> 5. NOYB -- a somewhat rude response to a query.

None of your business. 4 for everyone.

> 6. 4YEO -- a limited response.

For your eyes only. 4 for everyone.

> 7. ROTFLMAO -- You wrote something really funny.

Rolling on the floor laughing my ass off. 4 for Dan Blum, Bruce,
Joshua, Dan Tilque, and Pete. And, somewhat reluctantly, 3 for
Erland and Calvin.

> 8. IMHO -- A modest qualifier.

In my humble opinion. Also accepting "in my honest opinion".
4 for everyone -- in Bruce's case the hard way.

> 9. YOLO -- We're getting philosophical here.

You only live once. 4 for Dan Blum, Bruce, Joshua, Calvin,
Dan Tilque, and Pete.

> 10. SMH -- an expression of exasperation.

Shaking my head. 4 for Dan Blum, Bruce, and Joshua.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 10 ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 6 7 8 BEST
TOPICS-> Lit Geo His Can Ent Mis FOUR
Joshua Kreitzer 40 32 27 32 40 40 152
Dan Blum 40 32 31 24 24 40 143
Bruce Bowler 4 32 24 16 28 40 124
Dan Tilque 12 36 31 12 0 36 115
Pete Gayde -- -- 19 14 24 36 93
"Calvin" -- -- 20 12 24 35 91
Erland Sommarskog 0 12 7 4 20 27 66

--
Mark Brader | "...it doesn't even fulfill the most basic
Toronto | requirements for a good text editor, such as