QFTCI16 Game 3, Rounds 7-8: ex-USSR, German lit

Mark Brader

Jul 13, 2016, 5:07:55 PM7/13/16
These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2016-06-05,
and should be interpreted accordingly.

Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

All questions were written by members of the Usual Suspects and
are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
see my 2016-05-31 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

I wrote one of these rounds.

* Game 3, Round 7 - Geography - Formerly the USSR

The handout map

http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/3-7/xussr.png

shows part of Russia and all of the other 14 countries that used
to be part of the Soviet Union. The compass directions are marked
because they're a bit skewed by the map projection. Each letter
from A to Y indicates a city.

So let's start with cities.

1. Which letter is Moscow, Russia?
2. St. Petersburg, Russia?
3. Baku, Azerbaijan?
4. Kiev, Ukraine?

For the next two questions, we name a country and you identify
it by naming any letter shown in that country. There may be just
one letter there, or more than one.

5. Kazakhstan.
6. Georgia.

Please complete the above questions before decoding the rot13 for
the last four. On these questions we'll give you a letter and
you can name either the city or the country.

7. Jurer vf I? Pvgl be pbhagel.
8. S?
9. N?
10. Q?

Now, if I mentioned how many decoys there were, it would give away
information about questions #5-6. Instead, if you want to try the
decoys for fun, but for no points, then decode the rot13 below.
For questions #11-19 you can give the country if there is only one
letter in the country, but otherwise you must name city and country.
For questions #20-28, give the letter. And note that, to conceal
the number of decoys, a random subset of the cities will appear
in *both* groups. As usual, only one try for each question, please.

11. K.
12. C.
13. B.
14. R.
15. V.
16. F.
17. H.
18. Z.
19. W.
20. Evtn, Yngivn.
21. Puvfvanh, Zbyqbin.
22. Qhfunaor, Gnwvxvfgna.
23. Avmual Abitbebq, Ehffvn.
24. Ibytbtenq, Ehffvn.
25. Xunexbi, Hxenvar.
26. Ovfuxrx, Xletlmfgna.
27. Abibfvovefx, Ehffvn.
28. Frinfgbcby, erpragyl frvmrq ol Ehffvn sebz Hxenvar.

* Game 3, Round 8 - Literature - German-Language Literature

This round is about literature written in German, but not just
within the geographical and temporal boundaries of present-day
Germany. Where applicable, you may answer in German or in English.

1. This was an early Romantic movement in German literature
(and also music) in the second half of the 18th century, which
emphasized subjectivity and emotional experiences and rebelled
against the rationalism of the Enlightenment. Name it.

2. A prominent example of <answer 1> literature is Goethe's novel
about a young man's unrequited love for a peasant girl. Name it.

3. This Prague-born poet and novelist, who also wrote in French,
is still a favorite today, especially among the New Age and
self-help set. He died in 1926 at age 51 and is known for
"Sonnets to Orpheus" and "Letters to a Young Poet".

4. Name Hermann Hesse's 1927 novel about a mysterious man named
Harry Haller who struggles with his sense of alienation from
everyday society. Hesse said later that young people may have
misinterpreted the book because it was meant to speak to the
problems of middle age.

5. This author died from tuberculosis at age 40, in 1924. Max Brod
was his literary executor, and fortunately for posterity, Max
didn't follow his instructions to burn the surviving manuscripts.
Name the author, who was still in human form at the time of
his death.

6. Amateur -- but enthusiastic -- musician Oskar Matzerath is
the narrator and hero of this acclaimed 1959 novel, made into
a similarly controversial film in 1979. Name the book.

7. Name Thomas Mann's 1924 novel in which he uses the story of a
man's multi-year stay at a sanatorium as a vehicle for examining
the European civilization of the day.

8. Alfred Döblin's 1929 novel about a small-time criminal becoming
morally lost in the underworld was made into a 15½-hour film
(or miniseries) by famed director Rainer Werner Fassbinder.
Its title refers to a train station; what is it?

9. Name the 1972 Nobel Prize winner who authored such works as
"The Clown", "Group Portrait with Lady", and "The Lost Honor
of Katharina Blum". He was known as one of a group of writers
who attempted, through their literature, to come to terms with
the Nazi era.

10. "Traumnovelle", or "Dream Story", is a tale of sexual fantasy
and decadence. Name its writer, who was Austrian and died
in 1931. Or, alternatively, name the 1999 English-language
movie -- by a celebrated director -- that was based on that book.

--
Mark Brader, Toronto | In the affairs of this world men are saved,
m...@vex.net | not by faith, but by the want of it. --Franklin

Peter Smyth

Jul 13, 2016, 5:20:40 PM7/13/16
Mark Brader wrote:

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2016-06-05,

> Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of the Usual Suspects and
> are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
> have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
> see my 2016-05-31 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> I wrote one of these rounds.
>

> * Game 3, Round 7 - Geography - Formerly the USSR
>
> The handout map
>
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/3-7/xussr.png
>
> shows part of Russia and all of the other 14 countries that used
> to be part of the Soviet Union. The compass directions are marked
> because they're a bit skewed by the map projection. Each letter
> from A to Y indicates a city.
>
> So let's start with cities.
>
> 1. Which letter is Moscow, Russia?
G, H
> 2. St. Petersburg, Russia?
H, G
> 3. Baku, Azerbaijan?
R, S
> 4. Kiev, Ukraine?
> For the next two questions, we name a country and you identify
> it by naming any letter shown in that country. There may be just
> one letter there, or more than one.
>
> 5. Kazakhstan.
> 6. Georgia.
> Please complete the above questions before decoding the rot13 for
> the last four. On these questions we'll give you a letter and
> you can name either the city or the country.
>
> 7. Where is V? City or country.
Uzbekistan, Kyrgyzstan
> 8. F?
Belarus
> 9. A?
Estonia
> 10. D?
Russia

> Now, if I mentioned how many decoys there were, it would give away
> information about questions #5-6. Instead, if you want to try the
> decoys for fun, but for no points, then decode the rot13 below.
> For questions #11-19 you can give the country if there is only one
> letter in the country, but otherwise you must name city and country.
> For questions #20-28, give the letter. And note that, to conceal
> the number of decoys, a random subset of the cities will appear
> in both groups. As usual, only one try for each question, please.
>
> 11. X.
> 12. P.
> 13. O.
> 14. E.
> 15. I.
> 16. S.
> 17. U.
> 18. M.
> 19. J.
> 20. Riga, Latvia.
> 21. Chisinau, Moldova.
> 22. Dushanbe, Tajikistan.
> 23. Nizhny Novgorod, Russia.
> 24. Volgograd, Russia.
> 25. Kharkov, Ukraine.
> 26. Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan.
> 27. Novosibirsk, Russia.
> 28. Sevastopol, recently seized by Russia from Ukraine.
Gunter Grass
> 10. "Traumnovelle", or "Dream Story", is a tale of sexual fantasy
> and decadence. Name its writer, who was Austrian and died
> in 1931. Or, alternatively, name the 1999 English-language
> movie -- by a celebrated director -- that was based on that book.

Peter Smyth

Erland Sommarskog

Jul 13, 2016, 5:27:26 PM7/13/16
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> I wrote one of these rounds.
>

> * Game 3, Round 7 - Geography - Formerly the USSR

Shall we guess this one?

> So let's start with cities.
>
> 1. Which letter is Moscow, Russia?
> 2. St. Petersburg, Russia?

> 3. Baku, Azerbaijan?

> 4. Kiev, Ukraine?

> For the next two questions, we name a country and you identify
> it by naming any letter shown in that country. There may be just
> one letter there, or more than one.
>
> 5. Kazakhstan.

> 6. Georgia.

> 7. Jurer vf I? Pvgl be pbhagel.

Uzbekistan

> 8. S?

Minsk

> 9. N?

Tallinn

> 10. Q?

Kaliningrad

> * Game 3, Round 8 - Literature - German-Language Literature
>
> 8. Alfred Döblin's 1929 novel about a small-time criminal becoming
> morally lost in the underworld was made into a 15½-hour film
> (or miniseries) by famed director Rainer Werner Fassbinder.
> Its title refers to a train station; what is it?

Berlin Alexanderplatz

> 9. Name the 1972 Nobel Prize winner who authored such works as
> "The Clown", "Group Portrait with Lady", and "The Lost Honor
> of Katharina Blum". He was known as one of a group of writers
> who attempted, through their literature, to come to terms with
> the Nazi era.

Heinrich Böll

Jason Kreitzer

Jul 13, 2016, 6:26:25 PM7/13/16
On Wednesday, July 13, 2016 at 5:07:55 PM UTC-4, Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2016-06-05,

> Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of the Usual Suspects and
> are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
> have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
> see my 2016-05-31 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> I wrote one of these rounds.
>

> * Game 3, Round 7 - Geography - Formerly the USSR
>
> The handout map
>
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/3-7/xussr.png
>
> shows part of Russia and all of the other 14 countries that used
> to be part of the Soviet Union. The compass directions are marked
> because they're a bit skewed by the map projection. Each letter
> from A to Y indicates a city.
>
> So let's start with cities.
>
> 1. Which letter is Moscow, Russia?
H?
> 2. St. Petersburg, Russia?
G?
> 3. Baku, Azerbaijan?
Q?
> 4. Kiev, Ukraine?
F?

> For the next two questions, we name a country and you identify
> it by naming any letter shown in that country. There may be just
> one letter there, or more than one.
>
> 5. Kazakhstan.
N?
> 6. Georgia.
T?
> Please complete the above questions before decoding the rot13 for
> the last four. On these questions we'll give you a letter and
> you can name either the city or the country.
>
> 7. Jurer vf I? Pvgl be pbhagel.
Where is V? City or country? City?
> 8. S?
Country?
> 9. N?
Country?
> 10. Q?
Country?

> Now, if I mentioned how many decoys there were, it would give away
> information about questions #5-6. Instead, if you want to try the
> decoys for fun, but for no points, then decode the rot13 below.
> For questions #11-19 you can give the country if there is only one
> letter in the country, but otherwise you must name city and country.
> For questions #20-28, give the letter. And note that, to conceal
> the number of decoys, a random subset of the cities will appear
> in *both* groups. As usual, only one try for each question, please.
>
> 11. K.
> 12. C.
> 13. B.
> 14. R.
> 15. V.
> 16. F.
> 17. H.
> 18. Z.
> 19. W.
> 20. Riga, Latvia.
E?
> 21. Chisinau, Moldova.
O?
> 22. Dushanbe, Tajikistan.
R?
> 23. Nizhny Novgorod, Russia.
M?
> 24. Volgograd, Russia.
I?
> 25. Kharkov, Ukraine.
F?
> 26. Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan.
T?
> 27. Novosibirsk, Russia.
J?
> 28. Sevastopol, recently seized by Russia from Ukraine.
R?

> * Game 3, Round 8 - Literature - German-Language Literature
>
> This round is about literature written in German, but not just
> within the geographical and temporal boundaries of present-day
> Germany. Where applicable, you may answer in German or in English.
>
> 1. This was an early Romantic movement in German literature
> (and also music) in the second half of the 18th century, which
> emphasized subjectivity and emotional experiences and rebelled
> against the rationalism of the Enlightenment. Name it.
>
> 2. A prominent example of <answer 1> literature is Goethe's novel
> about a young man's unrequited love for a peasant girl. Name it.
>
> 3. This Prague-born poet and novelist, who also wrote in French,
> is still a favorite today, especially among the New Age and
> self-help set. He died in 1926 at age 51 and is known for
> "Sonnets to Orpheus" and "Letters to a Young Poet".
>
> 4. Name Hermann Hesse's 1927 novel about a mysterious man named
> Harry Haller who struggles with his sense of alienation from
> everyday society. Hesse said later that young people may have
> misinterpreted the book because it was meant to speak to the
> problems of middle age.
"Steppenwolf?"

> 5. This author died from tuberculosis at age 40, in 1924. Max Brod
> was his literary executor, and fortunately for posterity, Max
> didn't follow his instructions to burn the surviving manuscripts.
> Name the author, who was still in human form at the time of
> his death.
Franz Kafka

Joshua Kreitzer

Jul 13, 2016, 9:30:28 PM7/13/16
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:1dadncJ11M47MBvKnZ2dnUU7-
R3N...@giganews.com:

> * Game 3, Round 7 - Geography - Formerly the USSR
>
> The handout map
>
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/3-7/xussr.png
>
> shows part of Russia and all of the other 14 countries that used
> to be part of the Soviet Union. The compass directions are marked
> because they're a bit skewed by the map projection. Each letter
> from A to Y indicates a city.
>
> So let's start with cities.
>
> 1. Which letter is Moscow, Russia?

H; G

> 2. St. Petersburg, Russia?

> 3. Baku, Azerbaijan?

> 4. Kiev, Ukraine?

> For the next two questions, we name a country and you identify
> it by naming any letter shown in that country. There may be just
> one letter there, or more than one.
>
> 5. Kazakhstan.

> 6. Georgia.

> Please complete the above questions before decoding the rot13 for
> the last four. On these questions we'll give you a letter and
> you can name either the city or the country.
>
> 7. Jurer vf I? Pvgl be pbhagel.

Uzbekistan

> 8. S?

Belarus

> 9. N?

Estonia

> 10. Q?

Russia

> Now, if I mentioned how many decoys there were, it would give away
> information about questions #5-6. Instead, if you want to try the
> decoys for fun, but for no points, then decode the rot13 below.
> For questions #11-19 you can give the country if there is only one
> letter in the country, but otherwise you must name city and country.
> For questions #20-28, give the letter. And note that, to conceal
> the number of decoys, a random subset of the cities will appear
> in *both* groups. As usual, only one try for each question, please.
>
> 13. B.

Moldova

> 14. R.

Lithuania

> 16. F.

Armenia

> 20. Evtn, Yngivn.

> 21. Puvfvanh, Zbyqbin.

> 28. Frinfgbcby, erpragyl frvmrq ol Ehffvn sebz Hxenvar.

> * Game 3, Round 8 - Literature - German-Language Literature
>
> This round is about literature written in German, but not just
> within the geographical and temporal boundaries of present-day
> Germany. Where applicable, you may answer in German or in English.
>
> 2. A prominent example of <answer 1> literature is Goethe's novel
> about a young man's unrequited love for a peasant girl. Name it.

"The Sorrows of Young Werther"

> 3. This Prague-born poet and novelist, who also wrote in French,
> is still a favorite today, especially among the New Age and
> self-help set. He died in 1926 at age 51 and is known for
> "Sonnets to Orpheus" and "Letters to a Young Poet".

Rilke

> 4. Name Hermann Hesse's 1927 novel about a mysterious man named
> Harry Haller who struggles with his sense of alienation from
> everyday society. Hesse said later that young people may have
> misinterpreted the book because it was meant to speak to the
> problems of middle age.

"Steppenwolf"

> 5. This author died from tuberculosis at age 40, in 1924. Max Brod
> was his literary executor, and fortunately for posterity, Max
> didn't follow his instructions to burn the surviving manuscripts.
> Name the author, who was still in human form at the time of
> his death.

Franz Kafka

> 6. Amateur -- but enthusiastic -- musician Oskar Matzerath is
> the narrator and hero of this acclaimed 1959 novel, made into
> a similarly controversial film in 1979. Name the book.

"The Tin Drum"

> 8. Alfred Döblin's 1929 novel about a small-time criminal becoming
> morally lost in the underworld was made into a 15½-hour film
> (or miniseries) by famed director Rainer Werner Fassbinder.
> Its title refers to a train station; what is it?

"Berlin Alexanderplatz"

> 10. "Traumnovelle", or "Dream Story", is a tale of sexual fantasy
> and decadence. Name its writer, who was Austrian and died
> in 1931. Or, alternatively, name the 1999 English-language
> movie -- by a celebrated director -- that was based on that book.

"Eyes Wide Shut"

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

Calvin

Jul 13, 2016, 10:20:49 PM7/13/16
On Thursday, July 14, 2016 at 7:07:55 AM UTC+10, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 3, Round 7 - Geography - Formerly the USSR
>
> 1. Which letter is Moscow, Russia?

G, H

> 2. St. Petersburg, Russia?

> 3. Baku, Azerbaijan?

T, S

> 4. Kiev, Ukraine?

> 5. Kazakhstan.

> 6. Georgia.

> 7. Jurer vf I? Pvgl be pbhagel.

Uzbekistan

> 8. S?

Belarus

> 9. N?

Estonia

> 10. Q?

Russia

> * Game 3, Round 8 - Literature - German-Language Literature
>
> This round is about literature written in German, but not just
> within the geographical and temporal boundaries of present-day
> Germany. Where applicable, you may answer in German or in English.
>
> 1. This was an early Romantic movement in German literature
> (and also music) in the second half of the 18th century, which
> emphasized subjectivity and emotional experiences and rebelled
> against the rationalism of the Enlightenment. Name it.

Baroque?

> 2. A prominent example of <answer 1> literature is Goethe's novel
> about a young man's unrequited love for a peasant girl. Name it.

Faust, Sorrows of Young Werther
Grass

> 10. "Traumnovelle", or "Dream Story", is a tale of sexual fantasy
> and decadence. Name its writer, who was Austrian and died
> in 1931. Or, alternatively, name the 1999 English-language
> movie -- by a celebrated director -- that was based on that book.

Zweig

cheers,
calvin

Dan Blum

Jul 13, 2016, 11:26:08 PM7/13/16
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 3, Round 7 - Geography - Formerly the USSR

> 1. Which letter is Moscow, Russia?

> 2. St. Petersburg, Russia?

> 3. Baku, Azerbaijan?

> 4. Kiev, Ukraine?

> 5. Kazakhstan.

N; V

> 6. Georgia.

> 7. Jurer vf I? Pvgl be pbhagel.

Uzbekistan

> 8. S?

Belarus

> 9. N?

Estonia; Latvia

> 10. Q?

Russia

> * Game 3, Round 8 - Literature - German-Language Literature

> 1. This was an early Romantic movement in German literature
> (and also music) in the second half of the 18th century, which
> emphasized subjectivity and emotional experiences and rebelled
> against the rationalism of the Enlightenment. Name it.

rococo

> 2. A prominent example of <answer 1> literature is Goethe's novel
> about a young man's unrequited love for a peasant girl. Name it.

The Sorrows of Young Werther

> 4. Name Hermann Hesse's 1927 novel about a mysterious man named
> Harry Haller who struggles with his sense of alienation from
> everyday society. Hesse said later that young people may have
> misinterpreted the book because it was meant to speak to the
> problems of middle age.

The Glass Bead Game

> 5. This author died from tuberculosis at age 40, in 1924. Max Brod
> was his literary executor, and fortunately for posterity, Max
> didn't follow his instructions to burn the surviving manuscripts.
> Name the author, who was still in human form at the time of
> his death.

Franz Kafka

> 6. Amateur -- but enthusiastic -- musician Oskar Matzerath is
> the narrator and hero of this acclaimed 1959 novel, made into
> a similarly controversial film in 1979. Name the book.

The Tin Drum

> 7. Name Thomas Mann's 1924 novel in which he uses the story of a
> man's multi-year stay at a sanatorium as a vehicle for examining
> the European civilization of the day.

Last Year at Marienbad

> 9. Name the 1972 Nobel Prize winner who authored such works as
> "The Clown", "Group Portrait with Lady", and "The Lost Honor
> of Katharina Blum". He was known as one of a group of writers
> who attempted, through their literature, to come to terms with
> the Nazi era.

Grass

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

bbowler

Jul 14, 2016, 7:57:06 AM7/14/16
On Wed, 13 Jul 2016 16:07:50 -0500, Mark Brader wrote:

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2016-06-05, and
> should be interpreted accordingly.
>
> On each question you may give up to two answers, but if you give both a
> right answer and a wrong answer, there is a small penalty. Please post
> all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup, based only on
> your own knowledge. (In your answer posting, quote the questions and
> place your answer below each one.) I will reveal the correct answers in
> about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of the Usual Suspects and are used
> here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have been retyped
> and/or edited by me. For further information see my 2016-05-31
> companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> I wrote one of these rounds.
>

> * Game 3, Round 7 - Geography - Formerly the USSR
>
> The handout map
>
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/3-7/xussr.png
>
> shows part of Russia and all of the other 14 countries that used to be
> part of the Soviet Union. The compass directions are marked because
> they're a bit skewed by the map projection. Each letter from A to Y
> indicates a city.
>
> So let's start with cities.
>
> 1. Which letter is Moscow, Russia?

H;G

> 2. St. Petersburg, Russia?

> 3. Baku, Azerbaijan?

R;T

> 4. Kiev, Ukraine?

A;C

> For the next two questions, we name a country and you identify it by
> naming any letter shown in that country. There may be just one letter
> there, or more than one.
>
> 5. Kazakhstan.

> 6. Georgia.

Björn Lundin

Jul 14, 2016, 12:01:01 PM7/14/16
On 2016-07-13 23:07, Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2016-06-05,

> Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of the Usual Suspects and
> are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
> have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
> see my 2016-05-31 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> I wrote one of these rounds.
>

> * Game 3, Round 7 - Geography - Formerly the USSR
>
> The handout map
>
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/3-7/xussr.png
>
> shows part of Russia and all of the other 14 countries that used
> to be part of the Soviet Union. The compass directions are marked
> because they're a bit skewed by the map projection. Each letter
> from A to Y indicates a city.
>
> So let's start with cities.
>
> 1. Which letter is Moscow, Russia?

> 2. St. Petersburg, Russia?

> 3. Baku, Azerbaijan?

> 4. Kiev, Ukraine?

> For the next two questions, we name a country and you identify
> it by naming any letter shown in that country. There may be just
> one letter there, or more than one.
>
> 5. Kazakhstan.

> 6. Georgia.

> Please complete the above questions before decoding the rot13 for
> the last four. On these questions we'll give you a letter and
> you can name either the city or the country.
>
> 7. Jurer vf I? Pvgl be pbhagel.

> 8. S?
> 9. N?
> 10. Q?

> 7. Where is V? City or country.
Uzbekistan

> 8. F?
Belarus

> 9. A?
Estonia

> 10. D?
Kaliningrad
> 3. This Prague-born poet and novelist, who also wrote in French,
> is still a favorite today, especially among the New Age and
> self-help set. He died in 1926 at age 51 and is known for
> "Sonnets to Orpheus" and "Letters to a Young Poet".

Balzac; Kafka

Björn

Marc Dashevsky

Jul 14, 2016, 11:19:01 PM7/14/16
In article <1dadncJ11M47MBvK...@giganews.com>, m...@vex.net says...
> * Game 3, Round 7 - Geography - Formerly the USSR
>
> The handout map
>
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/3-7/xussr.png
>
> shows part of Russia and all of the other 14 countries that used
> to be part of the Soviet Union. The compass directions are marked
> because they're a bit skewed by the map projection. Each letter
> from A to Y indicates a city.
>
> So let's start with cities.
>
> 1. Which letter is Moscow, Russia?

> 2. St. Petersburg, Russia?

> 3. Baku, Azerbaijan?

> 4. Kiev, Ukraine?

> For the next two questions, we name a country and you identify
> it by naming any letter shown in that country. There may be just
> one letter there, or more than one.
>
> 5. Kazakhstan.

> 6. Georgia.

> 7. Where is V? City or country.
Uzbekistan

> 8. F?
Minsk, Belarus

> 9. A?
Tallin, Estonia

> 10. D?
Konigsberg [I don't recall it's current name]

> Now, if I mentioned how many decoys there were, it would give away
> information about questions #5-6. Instead, if you want to try the
> decoys for fun, but for no points, then decode the rot13 below.
> For questions #11-19 you can give the country if there is only one
> letter in the country, but otherwise you must name city and country.
> For questions #20-28, give the letter. And note that, to conceal
> the number of decoys, a random subset of the cities will appear
> in *both* groups. As usual, only one try for each question, please.
>
> 11. K.
> 12. C.
> 13. B.http://geology.com/world/russia-map.gif
> 14. R.
> 15. V.
> 16. F.
> 17. H.
> 18. Z.
> 19. W.
> 20. Evtn, Yngivn.
> 21. Puvfvanh, Zbyqbin.
> 22. Qhfunaor, Gnwvxvfgna.
> 23. Avmual Abitbebq, Ehffvn.
> 24. Ibytbtenq, Ehffvn.
> 25. Xunexbi, Hxenvar.
> 26. Ovfuxrx, Xletlmfgna.
> 27. Abibfvovefx, Ehffvn.
> 28. Frinfgbcby, erpragyl frvmrq ol Ehffvn sebz Hxenvar.
>

> * Game 3, Round 8 - Literature - German-Language Literature
>
> This round is about literature written in German, but not just
> within the geographical and temporal boundaries of present-day
> Germany. Where applicable, you may answer in German or in English.
>
> 1. This was an early Romantic movement in German literature
> (and also music) in the second half of the 18th century, which
> emphasized subjectivity and emotional experiences and rebelled
> against the rationalism of the Enlightenment. Name it.
romanticism

> 2. A prominent example of <answer 1> literature is Goethe's novel
> about a young man's unrequited love for a peasant girl. Name it.
>
> 3. This Prague-born poet and novelist, who also wrote in French,
> is still a favorite today, especially among the New Age and
> self-help set. He died in 1926 at age 51 and is known for
> "Sonnets to Orpheus" and "Letters to a Young Poet".
>
> 4. Name Hermann Hesse's 1927 novel about a mysterious man named
> Harry Haller who struggles with his sense of alienation from
> everyday society. Hesse said later that young people may have
> misinterpreted the book because it was meant to speak to the
> problems of middle age.
Steppenwolf

> 5. This author died from tuberculosis at age 40, in 1924. Max Brod
> was his literary executor, and fortunately for posterity, Max
> didn't follow his instructions to burn the surviving manuscripts.
> Name the author, who was still in human form at the time of
> his death.
Franz Kafka

> 6. Amateur -- but enthusiastic -- musician Oskar Matzerath is
> the narrator and hero of this acclaimed 1959 novel, made into
> a similarly controversial film in 1979. Name the book.
The Tin Drum

> 7. Name Thomas Mann's 1924 novel in which he uses the story of a
> man's multi-year stay at a sanatorium as a vehicle for examining
> the European civilization of the day.
>
> 8. Alfred Döblin's 1929 novel about a small-time criminal becoming
> morally lost in the underworld was made into a 15?-hour film
> (or miniseries) by famed director Rainer Werner Fassbinder.
> Its title refers to a train station; what is it?
>
> 9. Name the 1972 Nobel Prize winner who authored such works as
> "The Clown", "Group Portrait with Lady", and "The Lost Honor
> of Katharina Blum". He was known as one of a group of writers
> who attempted, through their literature, to come to terms with
> the Nazi era.
>
> 10. "Traumnovelle", or "Dream Story", is a tale of sexual fantasy
> and decadence. Name its writer, who was Austrian and died
> in 1931. Or, alternatively, name the 1999 English-language
> movie -- by a celebrated director -- that was based on that book.

Mark Brader

Jul 16, 2016, 10:33:52 PM7/16/16
Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2016-06-05,
> see my 2016-05-31 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

> I wrote one of these rounds.

That was the geography round.

> * Game 3, Round 7 - Geography - Formerly the USSR

> The handout map

> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/3-7/xussr.png

> shows part of Russia and all of the other 14 countries that used
> to be part of the Soviet Union. The compass directions are marked
> because they're a bit skewed by the map projection. Each letter
> from A to Y indicates a city.

> So let's start with cities.

> 1. Which letter is Moscow, Russia?

G. 4 for Dan Blum, Björn, Dan Tilque (who submitted by email due
to technical difficulties), and Marc. 3 for Peter and Calvin.
2 for Joshua and Bruce.

> 2. St. Petersburg, Russia?

B. 4 for Joshua, Calvin, Dan Blum, Bruce, Björn, Dan Tilque,
and Marc.

> 3. Baku, Azerbaijan?

T. 4 for Erland, Joshua, Dan Blum, Björn, Dan Tilque, and Marc.
3 for Calvin. 2 for Bruce.

> 4. Kiev, Ukraine?

K. 4 for Peter, Erland, Joshua, Calvin, Dan Blum, Björn, Dan Tilque,
and Marc.

> For the next two questions, we name a country and you identify
> it by naming any letter shown in that country. There may be just
> one letter there, or more than one.

> 5. Kazakhstan.

N, Y (Astana, Almaty). 4 for Peter, Erland, Jason, Joshua, Calvin,
Björn, Dan Tilque, and Marc. 3 for Dan Blum.

> 6. Georgia.

R (Tbilisi). 4 for Erland, Joshua, Calvin, Dan Blum, Björn,
Dan Tilque, and Marc.

> Please complete the above questions before decoding the rot13 for
> the last four. On these questions we'll give you a letter and
> you can name either the city or the country.

> 7. Where is V? City or country.

Tashkent, Uzbekistan. 4 for Erland, Joshua, Calvin, Dan Blum, Björn,
Dan Tilque, and Marc. 3 for Peter.

> 8. F?

Minsk, Belarus. 4 for Peter, Erland, Joshua, Calvin, Dan Blum,
Björn, Dan Tilque, and Marc.

> 9. A?

Tallinn, Estonia. 4 for Peter, Erland, Joshua, Calvin, Björn,
Dan Tilque, and Marc. 3 for Dan Blum.

> 10. D?

Kaliningrad, Russia (that's an exclave). We will also generously
accept Königsberg, its name before 1946. 4 for Peter, Erland,
Joshua, Calvin, Dan Blum, Björn, Dan Tilque, and Marc.

By the way, there's one other exclave on the map: the unlabeled area
south of S is part of Azerbaijan.

> Now, if I mentioned how many decoys there were, it would give away
> information about questions #5-6. Instead, if you want to try the
> decoys for fun, but for no points, then decode the rot13 below.
> For questions #11-19 you can give the country if there is only one
> letter in the country, but otherwise you must name city and country.
> For questions #20-28, give the letter. And note that, to conceal
> the number of decoys, a random subset of the cities will appear
> in *both* groups. As usual, only one try for each question, please.

> 11. X.

(Bishkek,) Kyrgyzstan.

> 12. P.

Odessa, Ukraine.

> 13. O.

(Chisinau,) Moldova. Joshua got this.

> 14. E.

(Vilnius,) Lithuania. Joshua got this.

> 15. I.

Ekaterinburg, Russia.

> 16. S.

(Yerevan,) Armenia. Joshua got this.

> 17. U.

(Ashgabat,) Turkmenistan.

> 18. M.

Volgograd, Russia.

> 19. J.

Novosibirsk, Russia.

> 20. Riga, Latvia.

C. Joshua got this.

> 21. Chisinau, Moldova.

O. (Cf. #13.) Jason and (again) Joshua got this.

> 22. Dushanbe, Tajikistan.

W.

> 23. Nizhny Novgorod, Russia.

H.

> 24. Volgograd, Russia.

M. (Cf. #18.)

> 25. Kharkov, Ukraine.

L.

> 26. Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan.

X. (Cf. #11.)

> 27. Novosibirsk, Russia.

J. (Cf. #19.) Jason got this.

> 28. Sevastopol, recently seized by Russia from Ukraine.

Q. Joshua got this.

> * Game 3, Round 8 - Literature - German-Language Literature

> This round is about literature written in German, but not just
> within the geographical and temporal boundaries of present-day
> Germany. Where applicable, you may answer in German or in English.

> 1. This was an early Romantic movement in German literature
> (and also music) in the second half of the 18th century, which
> emphasized subjectivity and emotional experiences and rebelled
> against the rationalism of the Enlightenment. Name it.

"Sturm und Drang" or "Storm and Stress/Drive/Urge".

> 2. A prominent example of <answer 1> literature is Goethe's novel
> about a young man's unrequited love for a peasant girl. Name it.

"Die Leiden des jungen Werthers" or "The Sorrows of Young Werther".
4 for Joshua and Dan Blum. 2 for Calvin.

> 3. This Prague-born poet and novelist, who also wrote in French,
> is still a favorite today, especially among the New Age and
> self-help set. He died in 1926 at age 51 and is known for
> "Sonnets to Orpheus" and "Letters to a Young Poet".

Rainer Maria Rilke. 4 for Joshua.

> 4. Name Hermann Hesse's 1927 novel about a mysterious man named
> Harry Haller who struggles with his sense of alienation from
> everyday society. Hesse said later that young people may have
> misinterpreted the book because it was meant to speak to the
> problems of middle age.

Steppenwolf. 4 for Jason, Joshua, Dan Tilque, and Marc.

> 5. This author died from tuberculosis at age 40, in 1924. Max Brod
> was his literary executor, and fortunately for posterity, Max
> didn't follow his instructions to burn the surviving manuscripts.
> Name the author, who was still in human form at the time of
> his death.

Franz Kafka. 4 for Jason, Joshua, Dan Blum, and Marc.

> 6. Amateur -- but enthusiastic -- musician Oskar Matzerath is
> the narrator and hero of this acclaimed 1959 novel, made into
> a similarly controversial film in 1979. Name the book.

"Die Blechtrommel" or "The Tin Drum". 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum,
Dan Tilque, and Marc.

> 7. Name Thomas Mann's 1924 novel in which he uses the story of a
> man's multi-year stay at a sanatorium as a vehicle for examining
> the European civilization of the day.

"Der Zauberberg" or "The Magic Mountain".

> 8. Alfred Döblin's 1929 novel about a small-time criminal becoming
> morally lost in the underworld was made into a 15½-hour film
> (or miniseries) by famed director Rainer Werner Fassbinder.
> Its title refers to a train station; what is it?

"Berlin Alexanderplatz". 4 for Erland and Joshua.

> 9. Name the 1972 Nobel Prize winner who authored such works as
> "The Clown", "Group Portrait with Lady", and "The Lost Honor
> of Katharina Blum". He was known as one of a group of writers
> who attempted, through their literature, to come to terms with
> the Nazi era.

Heinrich Böll. 4 for Erland.

> 10. "Traumnovelle", or "Dream Story", is a tale of sexual fantasy
> and decadence. Name its writer, who was Austrian and died
> in 1931. Or, alternatively, name the 1999 English-language
> movie -- by a celebrated director -- that was based on that book.

Arthur Schnitzler, "Eyes Wide Shut" (Stanley Kubrick). 4 for Joshua.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 3 ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 6 7 8 BEST
TOPICS-> Ent Spo Sci Mis Geo Lit FOUR
Marc Dashevsky 24 0 47 8 40 12 123
Dan Blum 23 13 36 20 38 12 117
Joshua Kreitzer -- -- 20 16 38 28 102
Björn Lundin 8 37 12 0 40 0 97
Stephen Perry -- -- 58 36 -- -- 94
Dan Tilque 0 0 38 0 40 8 86
Peter Smyth 6 40 0 8 26 0 80
Pete Gayde 18 40 19 0 -- -- 77
Erland Sommarskog 16 16 0 4 32 8 72
"Calvin" -- -- -- -- 38 2 40
Bruce Bowler -- -- 17 4 8 0 29
Jason Kreitzer -- -- -- -- 4 8 12

--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "True excitement lies in doing
m...@vex.net | 'sdb /unix /dev/kmem'" -- Pontus Hedman

Mark Brader

Jul 17, 2016, 1:54:39 PM7/17/16
By the way, Björn Lundin responded to my last question set
in the following manner:

> > Please complete the above questions before decoding the rot13 for
> > the last four. On these questions we'll give you a letter and
> > you can name either the city or the country.
> >
> > 7. Jurer vf I? Pvgl be pbhagel.
>
> > 8. S?
> > 9. N?
> > 10. Q?
>

> > 7. Where is V? City or country.
> Uzbekistan
>
> > 8. F?
> Belarus
>
> > 9. A?
> Estonia
>
> > 10. D?
> Kaliningrad

This caused considerable confusion as I wondered why he seemed to be
answering questions on German literature by naming places in the former
USSR. It's because the automated part of my scoring process relies on
picking out question numbers preceded by ">", so when the number went
backward from 10 to 7, it assumed this was question 7 of the next round.

When text in questions has to be rot13'd, I don't care whether people
quote it in the original or plaintext form, but it can be confusing
when they do both!
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "C takes the point of view that the programmer
m...@vex.net | is always right" -- Michael DeCorte

Björn Lundin

Jul 18, 2016, 6:29:40 AM7/18/16
On 2016-07-17 19:54, Mark Brader wrote:
> By the way, Björn Lundin responded to my last question set
> in the following manner:
>

> When text in questions has to be rot13'd, I don't care whether people
> quote it in the original or plaintext form, but it can be confusing
> when they do both!

Oh, I did that to be very clear about what I responeded to.
Eg that number 8 was F and not S.
Sorry that I confused your parser

Björn