QFTCI16 Game 5, Rounds 7-8: supporting chars, Africaps

Mark Brader

Aug 12, 2016, 2:46:17 AM8/12/16
These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2016-06-20,
and should be interpreted accordingly.

Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

All questions were written by members of the Usual Suspects and
are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
see my 2016-05-31 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

I wrote one of these rounds.

* Game 5, Round 7 - Literature - Supporting Characters

For each question we will name four characters who have supporting
roles in one or more works by the same author. They may all
be in the same work, or the same series, or in unrelated works.
In any case, what you have to do is name the author.

1. Bustopher Jones, Macavity, Mungojerrie, Skimbleshanks.

2. Mundungus Fletcher, Rubeus Hagrid, Luna Lovegood, Draco Malfoy.

3. Sir Andrew Aguecheek, Dromio of Ephesus, Goneril, Edward Poins.

4. Superintendent Battle, Arthur Hastings, Ariadne Oliver,
Dr. James Sheppard.

5. Jack Dawkins, Thomas Gradgrind, Abel Magwitch, Wilkins Micawber.

6. Peter Coffin, Father Mapple, Queequeg, Starbuck.

7. Barliman Butterbur, Rosie Cotton, Bill Ferny, Goldberry.

8. Donald Gennaro, Ian Malcolm, Dennis Nedry, Ellie Sattler.

9. Iva Archer, Joel Cairo, Effie Perrine, Floyd Thursby.

10. Major Major, Milo Minderbinder, General Peckem, General
Scheisskopf.

* Game 5, Round 8 - Geography - African Capitals

This will be a simple round, and we hope it's easy as well. We'll name
the capital city of an African country, and you tell us which country.

1. Kampala ["kam-PAW-luh"].
2. Accra ["uh-KRAH"].
3. Lusaka ["loo-SAHK-uh"].
4. Kigali ["kih-GAW-lee"].
5. Dakar ["da-KAHR"].
6. Mogadishu ["mo-guh-DEE-shoo"].
7. Abuja ["uh-BOO-juh"].
8. Windhoek ["VINT-huhk"].
9. Luanda ["loo-AND-uh"].
10. Khartoum ["kar-TOOM"].

--
Mark Brader, Toronto Rocket, 1829: The first 30 mph train.
m...@vex.net TGV-A, 1989: The first 300 mph train.

Peter Smyth

Aug 12, 2016, 5:44:52 AM8/12/16
Mark Brader wrote:

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2016-06-20,

> Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of the Usual Suspects and
> are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
> have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
> see my 2016-05-31 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> I wrote one of these rounds.
>

> * Game 5, Round 7 - Literature - Supporting Characters
>
> For each question we will name four characters who have supporting
> roles in one or more works by the same author. They may all
> be in the same work, or the same series, or in unrelated works.
> In any case, what you have to do is name the author.
>
> 1. Bustopher Jones, Macavity, Mungojerrie, Skimbleshanks.
TS Eliot
> 2. Mundungus Fletcher, Rubeus Hagrid, Luna Lovegood, Draco Malfoy.
JK Rowling
> 3. Sir Andrew Aguecheek, Dromio of Ephesus, Goneril, Edward Poins.
Shakespeare
> 4. Superintendent Battle, Arthur Hastings, Ariadne Oliver,
> Dr. James Sheppard.
>
> 5. Jack Dawkins, Thomas Gradgrind, Abel Magwitch, Wilkins Micawber.
Charles Dickens
> 6. Peter Coffin, Father Mapple, Queequeg, Starbuck.
James Joyce
> 7. Barliman Butterbur, Rosie Cotton, Bill Ferny, Goldberry.
JRR Tolkien
> 8. Donald Gennaro, Ian Malcolm, Dennis Nedry, Ellie Sattler.
>
> 9. Iva Archer, Joel Cairo, Effie Perrine, Floyd Thursby.
>
> 10. Major Major, Milo Minderbinder, General Peckem, General
> Scheisskopf.
>

> * Game 5, Round 8 - Geography - African Capitals
>
> This will be a simple round, and we hope it's easy as well. We'll
> name the capital city of an African country, and you tell us which
> country.
>
> 1. Kampala ["kam-PAW-luh"].
Uganda
> 2. Accra ["uh-KRAH"].
Ghana
> 3. Lusaka ["loo-SAHK-uh"].
Zambia
> 4. Kigali ["kih-GAW-lee"].
Rwanda
> 5. Dakar ["da-KAHR"].
Senegal
> 6. Mogadishu ["mo-guh-DEE-shoo"].
Somalia
> 7. Abuja ["uh-BOO-juh"].
Nigeria
> 8. Windhoek ["VINT-huhk"].
Namibia
> 9. Luanda ["loo-AND-uh"].
Angola
> 10. Khartoum ["kar-TOOM"].
Sudan

Peter Smyth

Marc Dashevsky

Aug 12, 2016, 6:07:13 AM8/12/16
In article <ctmdnR3eL6Au7TDK...@giganews.com>, m...@vex.net says...
> * Game 5, Round 7 - Literature - Supporting Characters
>
> For each question we will name four characters who have supporting
> roles in one or more works by the same author. They may all
> be in the same work, or the same series, or in unrelated works.
> In any case, what you have to do is name the author.
>
> 1. Bustopher Jones, Macavity, Mungojerrie, Skimbleshanks.
>
> 2. Mundungus Fletcher, Rubeus Hagrid, Luna Lovegood, Draco Malfoy.
J.K. Rowling

> 3. Sir Andrew Aguecheek, Dromio of Ephesus, Goneril, Edward Poins.
>
> 4. Superintendent Battle, Arthur Hastings, Ariadne Oliver,
> Dr. James Sheppard.
>
> 5. Jack Dawkins, Thomas Gradgrind, Abel Magwitch, Wilkins Micawber.
Charls Dickens

> 6. Peter Coffin, Father Mapple, Queequeg, Starbuck.
Herman Melville

> 7. Barliman Butterbur, Rosie Cotton, Bill Ferny, Goldberry.
J.R.R. Tolkien

> 8. Donald Gennaro, Ian Malcolm, Dennis Nedry, Ellie Sattler.
>
> 9. Iva Archer, Joel Cairo, Effie Perrine, Floyd Thursby.
Dash Hammett

> 10. Major Major, Milo Minderbinder, General Peckem, General
> Scheisskopf.
Joseph Heller

> * Game 5, Round 8 - Geography - African Capitals
>
> This will be a simple round, and we hope it's easy as well. We'll name
> the capital city of an African country, and you tell us which country.
>
> 1. Kampala ["kam-PAW-luh"].
Uganda

> 2. Accra ["uh-KRAH"].
> 3. Lusaka ["loo-SAHK-uh"].
Zambia

> 4. Kigali ["kih-GAW-lee"].
Rwanda

> 5. Dakar ["da-KAHR"].
Senegal

> 6. Mogadishu ["mo-guh-DEE-shoo"].
Somalia

> 7. Abuja ["uh-BOO-juh"].
> 8. Windhoek ["VINT-huhk"].
> 9. Luanda ["loo-AND-uh"].
Angola

> 10. Khartoum ["kar-TOOM"].
Sudan

Dan Blum

Aug 12, 2016, 9:52:38 AM8/12/16
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 5, Round 7 - Literature - Supporting Characters

> 1. Bustopher Jones, Macavity, Mungojerrie, Skimbleshanks.

T. S. Eliot

> 2. Mundungus Fletcher, Rubeus Hagrid, Luna Lovegood, Draco Malfoy.

J. K. Rowling

> 3. Sir Andrew Aguecheek, Dromio of Ephesus, Goneril, Edward Poins.

William Shakespeare

> 4. Superintendent Battle, Arthur Hastings, Ariadne Oliver,
> Dr. James Sheppard.

Arthur Conan Doyle

> 5. Jack Dawkins, Thomas Gradgrind, Abel Magwitch, Wilkins Micawber.

Charles Dickens

> 6. Peter Coffin, Father Mapple, Queequeg, Starbuck.

Herman Melville

> 7. Barliman Butterbur, Rosie Cotton, Bill Ferny, Goldberry.

J. R. R. Tolkien

> 8. Donald Gennaro, Ian Malcolm, Dennis Nedry, Ellie Sattler.

Michael Crichton

> 9. Iva Archer, Joel Cairo, Effie Perrine, Floyd Thursby.

Dashiell Hammett

> 10. Major Major, Milo Minderbinder, General Peckem, General
> Scheisskopf.

> * Game 5, Round 8 - Geography - African Capitals

> 1. Kampala ["kam-PAW-luh"].

Uganda

> 2. Accra ["uh-KRAH"].

Guinea

> 3. Lusaka ["loo-SAHK-uh"].

Mozambique

> 4. Kigali ["kih-GAW-lee"].

Zambia

> 5. Dakar ["da-KAHR"].

Senegal

> 6. Mogadishu ["mo-guh-DEE-shoo"].

Somaliland (Somalia not really existing any longer)

> 7. Abuja ["uh-BOO-juh"].

Cote d'Ivoire

> 8. Windhoek ["VINT-huhk"].

Namibia

> 9. Luanda ["loo-AND-uh"].

Angola

> 10. Khartoum ["kar-TOOM"].

Sudan

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

björn lundin

Aug 12, 2016, 2:03:58 PM8/12/16
Den fredag 12 augusti 2016 kl. 08:46:17 UTC+2 skrev Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2016-06-20,

> Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of the Usual Suspects and
> are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
> have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
> see my 2016-05-31 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> I wrote one of these rounds.
>

> * Game 5, Round 7 - Literature - Supporting Characters
>
> For each question we will name four characters who have supporting
> roles in one or more works by the same author. They may all
> be in the same work, or the same series, or in unrelated works.
> In any case, what you have to do is name the author.
>
> 1. Bustopher Jones, Macavity, Mungojerrie, Skimbleshanks.
>
> 2. Mundungus Fletcher, Rubeus Hagrid, Luna Lovegood, Draco Malfoy.

JK Rawling

> 3. Sir Andrew Aguecheek, Dromio of Ephesus, Goneril, Edward Poins.
>
> 4. Superintendent Battle, Arthur Hastings, Ariadne Oliver,
> Dr. James Sheppard.

Agatha Christie

> 5. Jack Dawkins, Thomas Gradgrind, Abel Magwitch, Wilkins Micawber.
>
> 6. Peter Coffin, Father Mapple, Queequeg, Starbuck.

Looks like Family Guy- but who wrote that ?

> 7. Barliman Butterbur, Rosie Cotton, Bill Ferny, Goldberry.
>
> 8. Donald Gennaro, Ian Malcolm, Dennis Nedry, Ellie Sattler.
>
> 9. Iva Archer, Joel Cairo, Effie Perrine, Floyd Thursby.
>
> 10. Major Major, Milo Minderbinder, General Peckem, General
> Scheisskopf.
>

> * Game 5, Round 8 - Geography - African Capitals
>
> This will be a simple round, and we hope it's easy as well. We'll name
> the capital city of an African country, and you tell us which country.
>
> 1. Kampala ["kam-PAW-luh"].
Uganda
> 2. Accra ["uh-KRAH"].
Ghana
> 3. Lusaka ["loo-SAHK-uh"].
Zambia
> 4. Kigali ["kih-GAW-lee"].
Rwanda
> 5. Dakar ["da-KAHR"].
Senegal
> 6. Mogadishu ["mo-guh-DEE-shoo"].
Somalia
> 7. Abuja ["uh-BOO-juh"].
> 8. Windhoek ["VINT-huhk"].
Namibia
> 9. Luanda ["loo-AND-uh"].
Angola
> 10. Khartoum ["kar-TOOM"].
Sudan

> --
> Mark Brader, Toronto Rocket, 1829: The first 30 mph train.

Erland Sommarskog

Aug 12, 2016, 3:30:48 PM8/12/16
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> * Game 5, Round 8 - Geography - African Capitals
>
> This will be a simple round, and we hope it's easy as well. We'll name
> the capital city of an African country, and you tell us which country.
>
> 1. Kampala ["kam-PAW-luh"].

Uganda

> 2. Accra ["uh-KRAH"].

Ghana

> 3. Lusaka ["loo-SAHK-uh"].

Zambia

> 4. Kigali ["kih-GAW-lee"].

Rwanda

> 5. Dakar ["da-KAHR"].

Senegal

> 6. Mogadishu ["mo-guh-DEE-shoo"].

Somalia

> 7. Abuja ["uh-BOO-juh"].

Nigeria

> 8. Windhoek ["VINT-huhk"].

Nambia

> 9. Luanda ["loo-AND-uh"].

Angola (Confession: it was this point I went back and corrected #3)

> 10. Khartoum ["kar-TOOM"].

Sudan

Dan Tilque

Aug 14, 2016, 9:01:49 PM8/14/16
Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 5, Round 7 - Literature - Supporting Characters
>
> For each question we will name four characters who have supporting
> roles in one or more works by the same author. They may all
> be in the same work, or the same series, or in unrelated works.
> In any case, what you have to do is name the author.
>
> 1. Bustopher Jones, Macavity, Mungojerrie, Skimbleshanks.
>
> 2. Mundungus Fletcher, Rubeus Hagrid, Luna Lovegood, Draco Malfoy.

J. K. Rowling

> 3. Sir Andrew Aguecheek, Dromio of Ephesus, Goneril, Edward Poins.
>
> 4. Superintendent Battle, Arthur Hastings, Ariadne Oliver,
> Dr. James Sheppard.
>
> 5. Jack Dawkins, Thomas Gradgrind, Abel Magwitch, Wilkins Micawber.

Charles Dickens

> 6. Peter Coffin, Father Mapple, Queequeg, Starbuck.

Herman Melville

> 7. Barliman Butterbur, Rosie Cotton, Bill Ferny, Goldberry.

J. R. R. Tolkien

> 8. Donald Gennaro, Ian Malcolm, Dennis Nedry, Ellie Sattler.
>
> 9. Iva Archer, Joel Cairo, Effie Perrine, Floyd Thursby.
>
> 10. Major Major, Milo Minderbinder, General Peckem, General
> Scheisskopf.

Joseph Heller

> * Game 5, Round 8 - Geography - African Capitals
>
> This will be a simple round, and we hope it's easy as well. We'll name
> the capital city of an African country, and you tell us which country.
>
> 1. Kampala ["kam-PAW-luh"].

Mozambique

> 2. Accra ["uh-KRAH"].

Ghana

> 3. Lusaka ["loo-SAHK-uh"].

Burundi ??

> 4. Kigali ["kih-GAW-lee"].

Rwanda

> 5. Dakar ["da-KAHR"].

Senegal

> 6. Mogadishu ["mo-guh-DEE-shoo"].

Somalia

> 7. Abuja ["uh-BOO-juh"].

Nigeria

> 8. Windhoek ["VINT-huhk"].

Namibia

> 9. Luanda ["loo-AND-uh"].

Angola

> 10. Khartoum ["kar-TOOM"].

Sudan

--
Dan Tilque

Calvin

Aug 14, 2016, 9:16:44 PM8/14/16
On Friday, August 12, 2016 at 4:46:17 PM UTC+10, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 5, Round 7 - Literature - Supporting Characters
>
> For each question we will name four characters who have supporting
> roles in one or more works by the same author. They may all
> be in the same work, or the same series, or in unrelated works.
> In any case, what you have to do is name the author.
>
> 1. Bustopher Jones, Macavity, Mungojerrie, Skimbleshanks.

Elliott

> 2. Mundungus Fletcher, Rubeus Hagrid, Luna Lovegood, Draco Malfoy.

Rowling

> 3. Sir Andrew Aguecheek, Dromio of Ephesus, Goneril, Edward Poins.
>
> 4. Superintendent Battle, Arthur Hastings, Ariadne Oliver,
> Dr. James Sheppard.
>
> 5. Jack Dawkins, Thomas Gradgrind, Abel Magwitch, Wilkins Micawber.

Dickens

> 6. Peter Coffin, Father Mapple, Queequeg, Starbuck.
>
> 7. Barliman Butterbur, Rosie Cotton, Bill Ferny, Goldberry.
>
> 8. Donald Gennaro, Ian Malcolm, Dennis Nedry, Ellie Sattler.
>
> 9. Iva Archer, Joel Cairo, Effie Perrine, Floyd Thursby.
>
> 10. Major Major, Milo Minderbinder, General Peckem, General
> Scheisskopf.

Heller

> * Game 5, Round 8 - Geography - African Capitals
>
> This will be a simple round, and we hope it's easy as well. We'll name
> the capital city of an African country, and you tell us which country.
>
> 1. Kampala ["kam-PAW-luh"].

Uganda

> 2. Accra ["uh-KRAH"].

Ghana

> 3. Lusaka ["loo-SAHK-uh"].

Zambia

> 4. Kigali ["kih-GAW-lee"].

Rwanda

> 5. Dakar ["da-KAHR"].

Senegal

> 6. Mogadishu ["mo-guh-DEE-shoo"].

Eritrea

> 7. Abuja ["uh-BOO-juh"].

Nigeria

> 8. Windhoek ["VINT-huhk"].

Namibia

> 9. Luanda ["loo-AND-uh"].

Angola

> 10. Khartoum ["kar-TOOM"].

Sudan

cheers,
calvin

swp

Aug 14, 2016, 9:54:36 PM8/14/16
On Friday, August 12, 2016 at 2:46:17 AM UTC-4, Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2016-06-20,
> and should be interpreted accordingly.

noted

> I wrote one of these rounds.

supporting characters?

> * Game 5, Round 7 - Literature - Supporting Characters
>
> For each question we will name four characters who have supporting
> roles in one or more works by the same author. They may all
> be in the same work, or the same series, or in unrelated works.
> In any case, what you have to do is name the author.
>
> 1. Bustopher Jones, Macavity, Mungojerrie, Skimbleshanks.

t.s. elliot

> 2. Mundungus Fletcher, Rubeus Hagrid, Luna Lovegood, Draco Malfoy.

j.k. rowling

> 3. Sir Andrew Aguecheek, Dromio of Ephesus, Goneril, Edward Poins.

william shakespeare

> 4. Superintendent Battle, Arthur Hastings, Ariadne Oliver,
> Dr. James Sheppard.

agatha christie

> 5. Jack Dawkins, Thomas Gradgrind, Abel Magwitch, Wilkins Micawber.

charles dickens

> 6. Peter Coffin, Father Mapple, Queequeg, Starbuck.

herman melville

> 7. Barliman Butterbur, Rosie Cotton, Bill Ferny, Goldberry.

j.r.r. tolkien

> 8. Donald Gennaro, Ian Malcolm, Dennis Nedry, Ellie Sattler.

michael crichton

> 9. Iva Archer, Joel Cairo, Effie Perrine, Floyd Thursby.

dashiell hammett

> 10. Major Major, Milo Minderbinder, General Peckem, General
> Scheisskopf.

joseph heller

> * Game 5, Round 8 - Geography - African Capitals
>
> This will be a simple round, and we hope it's easy as well. We'll name
> the capital city of an African country, and you tell us which country.
>
> 1. Kampala ["kam-PAW-luh"].

uganda

> 2. Accra ["uh-KRAH"].

ghana

> 3. Lusaka ["loo-SAHK-uh"].

zambia

> 4. Kigali ["kih-GAW-lee"].

rwanda

> 5. Dakar ["da-KAHR"].

senegal

> 6. Mogadishu ["mo-guh-DEE-shoo"].

somalia

> 7. Abuja ["uh-BOO-juh"].

nigeria

> 8. Windhoek ["VINT-huhk"].

namibia

> 9. Luanda ["loo-AND-uh"].

angola

> 10. Khartoum ["kar-TOOM"].

sudan

swp

Mark Brader

Aug 15, 2016, 12:26:18 AM8/15/16
Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2016-06-20,
> see my 2016-05-31 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

> I wrote one of these rounds.

I wrote the literature round.

> * Game 5, Round 7 - Literature - Supporting Characters

> For each question we will name four characters who have supporting
> roles in one or more works by the same author. They may all
> be in the same work, or the same series, or in unrelated works.
> In any case, what you have to do is name the author.

> 1. Bustopher Jones, Macavity, Mungojerrie, Skimbleshanks.

T.S. Eliot. ("Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats".) 4 for Peter,
Dan Blum, Calvin, and Stephen.

> 2. Mundungus Fletcher, Rubeus Hagrid, Luna Lovegood, Draco Malfoy.

J.K. Rowling. (Harry Potter series.) 4 for Peter, Marc, Dan Blum,
Bjärn, Dan Tilque, Calvin, and Stephen.

> 3. Sir Andrew Aguecheek, Dromio of Ephesus, Goneril, Edward Poins.

William Shakespeare. ("Twelfth Night", "The Comedy of Errors", "King
Lear", "Henry IV" parts 1 and 2.) 4 for Peter, Dan Blum, and Stephen.

> 4. Superintendent Battle, Arthur Hastings, Ariadne Oliver,
> Dr. James Sheppard.

Agatha Christie. (Hercule Poirot series.) 4 for Björn and Stephen.

> 5. Jack Dawkins, Thomas Gradgrind, Abel Magwitch, Wilkins Micawber.

Charles Dickens. ("Oliver Twist", "Hard Times", "Great Expectations",
"David Copperfield".) 4 for Peter, Mrc, Dan Blum, Dan Tilque,
Calvin, and Stephen.

> 6. Peter Coffin, Father Mapple, Queequeg, Starbuck.

Herman Melville. ("Moby-Dick".) 4 for Marc, Dan Blum, Dan Tilque,
and Stephen.

> 7. Barliman Butterbur, Rosie Cotton, Bill Ferny, Goldberry.

J.R.R. Tolkien. ("The Lord of the Rings".) 4 for Peter, Marc,
Dan Blum, Dan Tilque, and Stephen.

> 8. Donald Gennaro, Ian Malcolm, Dennis Nedry, Ellie Sattler.

Michael Crichton. ("Jurassic Park".) 4 for Dan Blum and Stephen.

> 9. Iva Archer, Joel Cairo, Effie Perrine, Floyd Thursby.

Dashiell Hammett. ("The Maltese Falcon".) 4 for Ma, Dan Blum,
and Stephen.

> 10. Major Major, Milo Minderbinder, General Peckem, General
> Scheisskopf.

Joseph Heller. ("Catch-22".) 4 for Marc, Dan Tilque, Calvin,
and Stephen.

> * Game 5, Round 8 - Geography - African Capitals

> This will be a simple round, and we hope it's easy as well. We'll name
> the capital city of an African country, and you tell us which country.

> 1. Kampala ["kam-PAW-luh"].

Uganda. 4 for Peter, Marc, Dan Blum, Björn, Erland, Calvin,
and Stephen.

> 2. Accra ["uh-KRAH"].

Ghana. 4 for Peter, Björn, Erland, Dan Tilque, Calvin, and Stephen.

> 3. Lusaka ["loo-SAHK-uh"].

Zambia. 4 for Peter, Marc, Björn, Erland, Calvin, and Stephen.

> 4. Kigali ["kih-GAW-lee"].

Rwanda. 4 for Peter, Marc, Björn, Erland, Dan Tilque, Calvin,
and Stephen.

> 5. Dakar ["da-KAHR"].

Senegal. 4 for everyone -- Peter, Marc, Dan Blum, Björn, Erland,
Dan Tilque, Calvin, and Stephen.

> 6. Mogadishu ["mo-guh-DEE-shoo"].

Somalia. 4 for Peter, Marc, Björn, Erland, Dan Tilque, and Stephen.

Yes, there are at least two areas within the official boundaries
of Somalia that are internationally unrecognized, but de facto
independent, countries. No, Mogadishu is not located in one of those.
No points for Somaliland.

> 7. Abuja ["uh-BOO-juh"].

Nigeria. 4 for Peter, Erland, Dan Tilque, Calvin, and Stephen.

> 8. Windhoek ["VINT-huhk"].

Namibia. 4 for Peter, Dan Blum, Björn, Erland, Dan Tilque, Calvin,
and Stephen.

> 9. Luanda ["loo-AND-uh"].

Angola. 4 for Peter, Marc, Dan Blum, Björn, Erland the Confessor,
Dan Tilque, Calvin, and Stephen.

> 10. Khartoum ["kar-TOOM"].

Sudan. 4 for everyone.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 5 ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 6 7 8 BEST
TOPICS-> His Ent Mis Sci Lit Geo FOUR
Marc Dashevsky 8 36 24 20 24 28 112
Dan Tilque 28 24 4 12 20 32 104
Dan Blum 22 12 14 27 32 20 101
Pete Gayde 16 40 16 28 -- -- 100
"Calvin" 15 23 16 0 16 36 91
Joshua Kreitzer 20 36 28 7 -- -- 91
Peter Smyth 16 0 12 8 20 40 88
Stephen Perry -- -- -- -- 40 40 80
Björn Lundin 14 0 -- -- 8 36 58
Erland Sommarskog 16 0 -- -- 0 40 56
Jason Kreitzer 4 16 12 12 -- -- 44

--
Mark Brader | ...I am constantly surprised by the questions which apparently
Toronto | have not been litigated, at least to the point of producing

Erland Sommarskog

Aug 15, 2016, 3:27:16 AM8/15/16
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
>> 6. Mogadishu ["mo-guh-DEE-shoo"].
>
> Somalia. 4 for Peter, Marc, Björn, Erland, Dan Tilque, and Stephen.
>
> Yes, there are at least two areas within the official boundaries
> of Somalia that are internationally unrecognized, but de facto
> independent, countries. No, Mogadishu is not located in one of those.
> No points for Somaliland.

Last time I checked, a few years ago on Wikipedia, it's only Somaliland that
aspires to be independent. Puntland appeared to prefer to reunite with the
area further south - once the trouble and strife settles. But that could
have changed.

The capital of Somaliland is Harghesia.

Gareth Owen

Aug 15, 2016, 3:46:28 AM8/15/16
swp <Stephen...@gmail.com> writes:

>> 1. Bustopher Jones, Macavity, Mungojerrie, Skimbleshanks.
>
> t.s. elliot

One 'l', otherwise his name wouldn't be an anagram of TOILETS

Pete

Aug 15, 2016, 10:41:36 AM8/15/16
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:ctmdnR3eL6Au7TDKnZ2dnUU7-
enN...@giganews.com:

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2016-06-20,

> Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of the Usual Suspects and
> are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
> have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
> see my 2016-05-31 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> I wrote one of these rounds.
>

> * Game 5, Round 7 - Literature - Supporting Characters
>
> For each question we will name four characters who have supporting
> roles in one or more works by the same author. They may all
> be in the same work, or the same series, or in unrelated works.
> In any case, what you have to do is name the author.
>
> 1. Bustopher Jones, Macavity, Mungojerrie, Skimbleshanks.
>
> 2. Mundungus Fletcher, Rubeus Hagrid, Luna Lovegood, Draco Malfoy.

Rowling

> 3. Sir Andrew Aguecheek, Dromio of Ephesus, Goneril, Edward Poins.

Shakespeare

> 4. Superintendent Battle, Arthur Hastings, Ariadne Oliver,
> Dr. James Sheppard.

Orwell

> 5. Jack Dawkins, Thomas Gradgrind, Abel Magwitch, Wilkins Micawber.

Stevenson

> 6. Peter Coffin, Father Mapple, Queequeg, Starbuck.

Melville

> 7. Barliman Butterbur, Rosie Cotton, Bill Ferny, Goldberry.

Tolkien

> 8. Donald Gennaro, Ian Malcolm, Dennis Nedry, Ellie Sattler.
>
> 9. Iva Archer, Joel Cairo, Effie Perrine, Floyd Thursby.
>
> 10. Major Major, Milo Minderbinder, General Peckem, General
> Scheisskopf.

Adams

> * Game 5, Round 8 - Geography - African Capitals
>
> This will be a simple round, and we hope it's easy as well. We'll
name
> the capital city of an African country, and you tell us which country.
>
> 1. Kampala ["kam-PAW-luh"].

Uganda

> 2. Accra ["uh-KRAH"].

Ghana

> 3. Lusaka ["loo-SAHK-uh"].

Cameroon

> 4. Kigali ["kih-GAW-lee"].

Rwanda

> 5. Dakar ["da-KAHR"].

Senegal

> 6. Mogadishu ["mo-guh-DEE-shoo"].

Somalia

> 7. Abuja ["uh-BOO-juh"].

Nigeria

> 8. Windhoek ["VINT-huhk"].

Namibia

> 9. Luanda ["loo-AND-uh"].

Cameroon

> 10. Khartoum ["kar-TOOM"].

Sudan

Pete Gayde

Mark Brader

Aug 15, 2016, 12:10:40 PM8/15/16
If Pete Gayde's answers had been posted on time, he would have
received 12 points on Round 7 and 32 on Round 8.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "Unfortunately, real life is usually
m...@vex.net | not a movie." --Al Kriman

Pete

Aug 15, 2016, 2:58:10 PM8/15/16
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:AZ6dndO5CcTndCzKnZ2dnUU7-
dHN...@giganews.com:

> If Pete Gayde's answers had been posted on time, he would have
> received 12 points on Round 7 and 32 on Round 8.

I guess I need to recalibrate my understanding of what "about 3 days"
means. ;-)

Mark Brader

Aug 15, 2016, 6:12:53 PM8/15/16
Pete Gayde:
> I guess I need to recalibrate my understanding of what "about 3 days"
> means. ;-)

As it says in the companion posting,

| My intent is that for each quiz you'll get about 3 days to answer,
| plus or minus a few hours, but I'm not going to set exact deadlines;
| I'll cut off entries at whatever time (after 2 days and about
| 21 hours) that it's convenient for me to do the scoring and post
| the results.

In this case I allowed 2 days 21 hours 40 minutes, but Pete's answer
slate was posted 3 days 7 hours 55 minutes after the questions.
--
Mark Brader "A clarification is not to make oneself clear.
Toronto It is to PUT oneself IN the clear."