QFTCIMI515 Game 5, Rounds 9-10: art styles, virtue challenge

Mark Brader

Apr 22, 2015, 7:15:21 PM4/22/15
These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2015-02-09,
and should be interpreted accordingly.

Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

All questions were written by members of MI5, and are used here by
permission, but have been reformatted and may have been retyped
and/or edited by me. For further information see my 2015-02-23
companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian Inquisition
(QFTCI*)".

* Game 5, Round 9 - Arts - Styles and Schools of Western Art

We give you the names of two artists, and you name the school or
style of art they are both associated with.

1. Jacques-Louis David, Jean-Auguste-Dominique Ingres ("ANG-rr").
2. Dante Gabriel Rossetti, J.W. Waterhouse.
3. Georges Seurat, Paul Signac.
4. Georges Rouault, Henri Matisse.
5. Pablo Picasso, Georges Braque.
6. Tristan Tzara, Marcel Duchamp.
7. Jackson Pollock, Willem de Kooning.
8. Andy Warhol, Roy Lichtenstein.
9. Salvador Dali, Rene Magritte.
10. Alex Colville, Christopher Pratt.

After completing the round, please decode the rot13: Vs lbh fnvq
"pynffvpvfz", "rkcerffvbavfz", be "ernyvfz" sbe nal nafjre, jr
arrq zber. Cyrnfr tb onpx naq nqq gur nccyvpnoyr jbeq be cersvk.

* Game 5, Round 10 - Challenge Round - 6 out of 7 Virtues

A. History: Vows of Chastity

A1. Which order of monks with a vow of chastity was called the
Black Friars?

A2. These women of ancient Rome were committed to 30 years of
celibacy in the service of a goddess, starting when they
were 6-10 years old. When they retired, they were replaced
by new inductees, given a pension, and allowed to marry.
What were they called?

B. Canadiana: Temperance Movement

B1. The passage of the Canada Temperance Act (1864), also
called the Dunkin Act, allowed any county in the Canadas to
forbid the sale of liquor by majority vote. The legislation
did allow liquor to be obtained legally in two situations,
though. Name either.

B2. After the repeal of the Temperance Act, municipalities had
to vote to re-accept the sale of alcohol. When West Toronto
was amalgamated into Toronto, the district, today called
"the Junction", retained this right and was in fact kept
"dry", largely through the efforts of William "Temperance
Bill" Temple -- until what year, plus or minus 2 years?

C. Entertainment: Charity

C1. For 42 years, this glittering Toronto fundraising gala, the
brainchild of Anna Maria de Souza, raised money for health
care, research, education, and culture. It was last held
in 2012. Name this gala.

C2. Human rights organization Amnesty International has been
running benefit shows featuring British comedians and
musicians since 1976. What is the name used for this
annual event?

D. Sports: Diligence -- or Horse-Drawn Carriages

D1. In harness racing, what is the 2-wheeled vehicle pulled by
a single horse called?

D2. Associated with rodeos, this carriage race uses a team driven
four-in-hand, supported by two or four outriders who each race
individual thoroughbred horses that follow the main carriage.
What is it called?

E. Science: "Kind"ness -- or Taxonomy

E1. The Newfoundland coat of arms shows an elk, or Cervus
canadensis, because the British heralds had never actually
seen a specimen of Rangifer tarandus, the animal intended
for the coat of arms. Which extremely Canadian animal is
Rangifer tarandus?

E2. The aptly named Dr. David Bird has recently proposed that
Perisoreus canadensis be adopted as the national bird of
Canada. Give one of the many colloquial names by which it
is called in Canada.

F. Arts & Lit: Forgiveness -- or "The Merchant of Venice"

F1. In "The Merchant of Venice", from which moneylender does
Portia demand debt relief for a defaulting merchant-ship
owner?

F2. What does <answer F1> demand in repayment of Antonio's
defaulted debt?

--
Mark Brader, Toronto "History will be kind to me, for I intend
m...@vex.net to write it." -- Churchill

Dan Blum

Apr 22, 2015, 8:41:12 PM4/22/15
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 5, Round 9 - Arts - Styles and Schools of Western Art

> 1. Jacques-Louis David, Jean-Auguste-Dominique Ingres ("ANG-rr").

Impressionism

> 2. Dante Gabriel Rossetti, J.W. Waterhouse.

Pre-Raphaelites

> 3. Georges Seurat, Paul Signac.

pointillism

> 4. Georges Rouault, Henri Matisse.

fauvism

> 5. Pablo Picasso, Georges Braque.

cubism

> 6. Tristan Tzara, Marcel Duchamp.

dada

> 8. Andy Warhol, Roy Lichtenstein.

pop art

> 9. Salvador Dali, Rene Magritte.

surrealism

> * Game 5, Round 10 - Challenge Round - 6 out of 7 Virtues

> A. History: Vows of Chastity

> A1. Which order of monks with a vow of chastity was called the
> Black Friars?

Dominicans

> A2. These women of ancient Rome were committed to 30 years of
> celibacy in the service of a goddess, starting when they
> were 6-10 years old. When they retired, they were replaced
> by new inductees, given a pension, and allowed to marry.
> What were they called?

Vestal virgins

> B. Canadiana: Temperance Movement

> B1. The passage of the Canada Temperance Act (1864), also
> called the Dunkin Act, allowed any county in the Canadas to
> forbid the sale of liquor by majority vote. The legislation
> did allow liquor to be obtained legally in two situations,
> though. Name either.

for religious use

> B2. After the repeal of the Temperance Act, municipalities had
> to vote to re-accept the sale of alcohol. When West Toronto
> was amalgamated into Toronto, the district, today called
> "the Junction", retained this right and was in fact kept
> "dry", largely through the efforts of William "Temperance
> Bill" Temple -- until what year, plus or minus 2 years?

1920; 1940

> C. Entertainment: Charity

> C2. Human rights organization Amnesty International has been
> running benefit shows featuring British comedians and
> musicians since 1976. What is the name used for this
> annual event?

Secret Policeman's Ball

> D. Sports: Diligence -- or Horse-Drawn Carriages

> D1. In harness racing, what is the 2-wheeled vehicle pulled by
> a single horse called?

sulky; trap

> D2. Associated with rodeos, this carriage race uses a team driven
> four-in-hand, supported by two or four outriders who each race
> individual thoroughbred horses that follow the main carriage.
> What is it called?

stagecoach

> E. Science: "Kind"ness -- or Taxonomy

> E1. The Newfoundland coat of arms shows an elk, or Cervus
> canadensis, because the British heralds had never actually
> seen a specimen of Rangifer tarandus, the animal intended
> for the coat of arms. Which extremely Canadian animal is
> Rangifer tarandus?

caribou

> E2. The aptly named Dr. David Bird has recently proposed that
> Perisoreus canadensis be adopted as the national bird of
> Canada. Give one of the many colloquial names by which it
> is called in Canada.

loony bird

> F. Arts & Lit: Forgiveness -- or "The Merchant of Venice"

> F1. In "The Merchant of Venice", from which moneylender does
> Portia demand debt relief for a defaulting merchant-ship
> owner?

Shylock

> F2. What does <answer F1> demand in repayment of Antonio's
> defaulted debt?

a pound of his flesh

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Joshua Kreitzer

Apr 22, 2015, 9:29:56 PM4/22/15
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:Q_adnTWMab0UtqXInZ2dnUU7-f-
dn...@vex.net:

> * Game 5, Round 9 - Arts - Styles and Schools of Western Art
>
> We give you the names of two artists, and you name the school or
> style of art they are both associated with.
>
> 2. Dante Gabriel Rossetti, J.W. Waterhouse.

romanticism

> 3. Georges Seurat, Paul Signac.

pointillism

> 4. Georges Rouault, Henri Matisse.

impressionism

> 6. Tristan Tzara, Marcel Duchamp.

dada

> 8. Andy Warhol, Roy Lichtenstein.

pop art

> 9. Salvador Dali, Rene Magritte.

surrealism

> * Game 5, Round 10 - Challenge Round - 6 out of 7 Virtues
>
> A. History: Vows of Chastity
>
> A1. Which order of monks with a vow of chastity was called the
> Black Friars?

Capuchins

> A2. These women of ancient Rome were committed to 30 years of
> celibacy in the service of a goddess, starting when they
> were 6-10 years old. When they retired, they were replaced
> by new inductees, given a pension, and allowed to marry.
> What were they called?

vestal virgins

> B. Canadiana: Temperance Movement
>
> B1. The passage of the Canada Temperance Act (1864), also
> called the Dunkin Act, allowed any county in the Canadas to
> forbid the sale of liquor by majority vote. The legislation
> did allow liquor to be obtained legally in two situations,
> though. Name either.

by doctor's prescription

> B2. After the repeal of the Temperance Act, municipalities had
> to vote to re-accept the sale of alcohol. When West Toronto
> was amalgamated into Toronto, the district, today called
> "the Junction", retained this right and was in fact kept
> "dry", largely through the efforts of William "Temperance
> Bill" Temple -- until what year, plus or minus 2 years?

1940

> C. Entertainment: Charity
>
> C2. Human rights organization Amnesty International has been
> running benefit shows featuring British comedians and
> musicians since 1976. What is the name used for this
> annual event?

The Secret Policeman's Ball

> D. Sports: Diligence -- or Horse-Drawn Carriages
>
> D1. In harness racing, what is the 2-wheeled vehicle pulled by
> a single horse called?

shay

> E. Science: "Kind"ness -- or Taxonomy
>
> E1. The Newfoundland coat of arms shows an elk, or Cervus
> canadensis, because the British heralds had never actually
> seen a specimen of Rangifer tarandus, the animal intended
> for the coat of arms. Which extremely Canadian animal is
> Rangifer tarandus?

caribou; moose

> F. Arts & Lit: Forgiveness -- or "The Merchant of Venice"
>
> F1. In "The Merchant of Venice", from which moneylender does
> Portia demand debt relief for a defaulting merchant-ship
> owner?

Shylock

> F2. What does <answer F1> demand in repayment of Antonio's
> defaulted debt?

a pound of flesh

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

Marc Dashevsky

Apr 23, 2015, 12:02:58 AM4/23/15
In article <Q_adnTWMab0UtqXI...@vex.net>, m...@vex.net says...
> * Game 5, Round 9 - Arts - Styles and Schools of Western Art
>
> We give you the names of two artists, and you name the school or
> style of art they are both associated with.
>
> 1. Jacques-Louis David, Jean-Auguste-Dominique Ingres ("ANG-rr").
> 2. Dante Gabriel Rossetti, J.W. Waterhouse.
> 3. Georges Seurat, Paul Signac.
> 4. Georges Rouault, Henri Matisse.
> 5. Pablo Picasso, Georges Braque.
cubism

> 6. Tristan Tzara, Marcel Duchamp.
> 7. Jackson Pollock, Willem de Kooning.
abstract

> 8. Andy Warhol, Roy Lichtenstein.
pop art

> 9. Salvador Dali, Rene Magritte.
surrealism

> 10. Alex Colville, Christopher Pratt.
>
> After completing the round, please decode the rot13: Vs lbh fnvq
> "pynffvpvfz", "rkcerffvbavfz", be "ernyvfz" sbe nal nafjre, jr
> arrq zber. Cyrnfr tb onpx naq nqq gur nccyvpnoyr jbeq be cersvk.
>

> * Game 5, Round 10 - Challenge Round - 6 out of 7 Virtues
>
> A. History: Vows of Chastity
>
> A1. Which order of monks with a vow of chastity was called the
> Black Friars?
>
> A2. These women of ancient Rome were committed to 30 years of
> celibacy in the service of a goddess, starting when they
> were 6-10 years old. When they retired, they were replaced
> by new inductees, given a pension, and allowed to marry.
> What were they called?
vestal virgins

> B. Canadiana: Temperance Movement
>
> B1. The passage of the Canada Temperance Act (1864), also
> called the Dunkin Act, allowed any county in the Canadas to
> forbid the sale of liquor by majority vote. The legislation
> did allow liquor to be obtained legally in two situations,
> though. Name either.
home made

> B2. After the repeal of the Temperance Act, municipalities had
> to vote to re-accept the sale of alcohol. When West Toronto
> was amalgamated into Toronto, the district, today called
> "the Junction", retained this right and was in fact kept
> "dry", largely through the efforts of William "Temperance
> Bill" Temple -- until what year, plus or minus 2 years?
>
> C. Entertainment: Charity
>
> C1. For 42 years, this glittering Toronto fundraising gala, the
> brainchild of Anna Maria de Souza, raised money for health
> care, research, education, and culture. It was last held
> in 2012. Name this gala.
>
> C2. Human rights organization Amnesty International has been
> running benefit shows featuring British comedians and
> musicians since 1976. What is the name used for this
> annual event?
>
> D. Sports: Diligence -- or Horse-Drawn Carriages
>
> D1. In harness racing, what is the 2-wheeled vehicle pulled by
> a single horse called?
sulky

> D2. Associated with rodeos, this carriage race uses a team driven
> four-in-hand, supported by two or four outriders who each race
> individual thoroughbred horses that follow the main carriage.
> What is it called?
>
> E. Science: "Kind"ness -- or Taxonomy
>
> E1. The Newfoundland coat of arms shows an elk, or Cervus
> canadensis, because the British heralds had never actually
> seen a specimen of Rangifer tarandus, the animal intended
> for the coat of arms. Which extremely Canadian animal is
> Rangifer tarandus?
moose

> E2. The aptly named Dr. David Bird has recently proposed that
> Perisoreus canadensis be adopted as the national bird of
> Canada. Give one of the many colloquial names by which it
> is called in Canada.
>
> F. Arts & Lit: Forgiveness -- or "The Merchant of Venice"
>
> F1. In "The Merchant of Venice", from which moneylender does
> Portia demand debt relief for a defaulting merchant-ship
> owner?
Shylock

> F2. What does <answer F1> demand in repayment of Antonio's
> defaulted debt?
pound of flesh

bbowler

Apr 23, 2015, 10:32:00 AM4/23/15
The Dominicans

> A2. These women of ancient Rome were committed to 30 years of
> celibacy in the service of a goddess, starting when they were
> 6-10 years old. When they retired, they were replaced by new
> inductees, given a pension, and allowed to marry.
> What were they called?

The Vestal Virgins

> B. Canadiana: Temperance Movement
>
> B1. The passage of the Canada Temperance Act (1864), also
> called the Dunkin Act, allowed any county in the Canadas to
> forbid the sale of liquor by majority vote. The legislation did
> allow liquor to be obtained legally in two situations, though.
> Name either.

Medical necessity

> B2. After the repeal of the Temperance Act, municipalities had
> to vote to re-accept the sale of alcohol. When West Toronto was
> amalgamated into Toronto, the district, today called "the
> Junction", retained this right and was in fact kept "dry",
> largely through the efforts of William "Temperance Bill" Temple
> -- until what year, plus or minus 2 years?

1945?

> C. Entertainment: Charity
>
> C1. For 42 years, this glittering Toronto fundraising gala, the
> brainchild of Anna Maria de Souza, raised money for health care,
> research, education, and culture. It was last held in 2012.
> Name this gala.
>
> C2. Human rights organization Amnesty International has been
> running benefit shows featuring British comedians and musicians
> since 1976. What is the name used for this annual event?
>
> D. Sports: Diligence -- or Horse-Drawn Carriages
>
> D1. In harness racing, what is the 2-wheeled vehicle pulled by
> a single horse called?

Sulky

> D2. Associated with rodeos, this carriage race uses a team driven
> four-in-hand, supported by two or four outriders who each race
> individual thoroughbred horses that follow the main carriage.
> What is it called?

Chuck-wagon racing

> E. Science: "Kind"ness -- or Taxonomy
>
> E1. The Newfoundland coat of arms shows an elk, or Cervus
> canadensis, because the British heralds had never actually seen a
> specimen of Rangifer tarandus, the animal intended for the coat
> of arms. Which extremely Canadian animal is Rangifer tarandus?

Caribou

> E2. The aptly named Dr. David Bird has recently proposed that
> Perisoreus canadensis be adopted as the national bird of Canada.
> Give one of the many colloquial names by which it is called in
> Canada.

Whiskey Jack

> F. Arts & Lit: Forgiveness -- or "The Merchant of Venice"
>
> F1. In "The Merchant of Venice", from which moneylender does
> Portia demand debt relief for a defaulting merchant-ship owner?

Shylock

Björn Lundin

Apr 23, 2015, 3:18:42 PM4/23/15
On 2015-04-23 01:15, Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2015-02-09,
> and should be interpreted accordingly.
>

> * Game 5, Round 9 - Arts - Styles and Schools of Western Art
>
> We give you the names of two artists, and you name the school or
> style of art they are both associated with.
>
> 5. Pablo Picasso, Georges Braque.
Cubism

> 9. Salvador Dali, Rene Magritte.
surrealism

> * Game 5, Round 10 - Challenge Round - 6 out of 7 Virtues
>
> A. History: Vows of Chastity
>
> A1. Which order of monks with a vow of chastity was called the
> Black Friars?

Jesuit orden

> A2. These women of ancient Rome were committed to 30 years of
> celibacy in the service of a goddess, starting when they
> were 6-10 years old. When they retired, they were replaced
> by new inductees, given a pension, and allowed to marry.
> What were they called?
Vestals

> D. Sports: Diligence -- or Horse-Drawn Carriages
>
> D1. In harness racing, what is the 2-wheeled vehicle pulled by
> a single horse called?

sulky

> F. Arts & Lit: Forgiveness -- or "The Merchant of Venice"
>
> F1. In "The Merchant of Venice", from which moneylender does
> Portia demand debt relief for a defaulting merchant-ship
> owner?

Desdemona?

Björn

Erland Sommarskog

Apr 23, 2015, 3:50:17 PM4/23/15
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> * Game 5, Round 9 - Arts - Styles and Schools of Western Art
>
> 4. Georges Rouault, Henri Matisse.

Impressionism

> 5. Pablo Picasso, Georges Braque.

Cubism

> 9. Salvador Dali, Rene Magritte.

Surrealism

Pete

Apr 23, 2015, 7:39:43 PM4/23/15
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:Q_adnTWMab0UtqXInZ2dnUU7-f-
dn...@vex.net:

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2015-02-09,

> Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of MI5, and are used here by
> permission, but have been reformatted and may have been retyped
> and/or edited by me. For further information see my 2015-02-23
> companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian Inquisition
> (QFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 5, Round 9 - Arts - Styles and Schools of Western Art
>
> We give you the names of two artists, and you name the school or
> style of art they are both associated with.
>
> 1. Jacques-Louis David, Jean-Auguste-Dominique Ingres ("ANG-rr").
> 2. Dante Gabriel Rossetti, J.W. Waterhouse.
> 3. Georges Seurat, Paul Signac.

Pointillism

> 4. Georges Rouault, Henri Matisse.

Impressionism

> 5. Pablo Picasso, Georges Braque.

Cubism

> 6. Tristan Tzara, Marcel Duchamp.
> 7. Jackson Pollock, Willem de Kooning.

Abstract Expressionism

> 8. Andy Warhol, Roy Lichtenstein.

Representational art

> 9. Salvador Dali, Rene Magritte.

Abstract Expressionism

> 10. Alex Colville, Christopher Pratt.
>
> After completing the round, please decode the rot13: Vs lbh fnvq
> "pynffvpvfz", "rkcerffvbavfz", be "ernyvfz" sbe nal nafjre, jr
> arrq zber. Cyrnfr tb onpx naq nqq gur nccyvpnoyr jbeq be cersvk.
>

> * Game 5, Round 10 - Challenge Round - 6 out of 7 Virtues
>
> A. History: Vows of Chastity
>
> A1. Which order of monks with a vow of chastity was called the
> Black Friars?

Carmelites; Franciscans

> A2. These women of ancient Rome were committed to 30 years of
> celibacy in the service of a goddess, starting when they
> were 6-10 years old. When they retired, they were replaced
> by new inductees, given a pension, and allowed to marry.
> What were they called?
>
> B. Canadiana: Temperance Movement
>
> B1. The passage of the Canada Temperance Act (1864), also
> called the Dunkin Act, allowed any county in the Canadas to
> forbid the sale of liquor by majority vote. The legislation
> did allow liquor to be obtained legally in two situations,
> though. Name either.

Used as an Anasthetic

> B2. After the repeal of the Temperance Act, municipalities had
> to vote to re-accept the sale of alcohol. When West Toronto
> was amalgamated into Toronto, the district, today called
> "the Junction", retained this right and was in fact kept
> "dry", largely through the efforts of William "Temperance
> Bill" Temple -- until what year, plus or minus 2 years?
>
> C. Entertainment: Charity
>
> C1. For 42 years, this glittering Toronto fundraising gala, the
> brainchild of Anna Maria de Souza, raised money for health
> care, research, education, and culture. It was last held
> in 2012. Name this gala.
>
> C2. Human rights organization Amnesty International has been
> running benefit shows featuring British comedians and
> musicians since 1976. What is the name used for this
> annual event?
>
> D. Sports: Diligence -- or Horse-Drawn Carriages
>
> D1. In harness racing, what is the 2-wheeled vehicle pulled by
> a single horse called?

Sulky

> D2. Associated with rodeos, this carriage race uses a team driven
> four-in-hand, supported by two or four outriders who each race
> individual thoroughbred horses that follow the main carriage.
> What is it called?

Homesteading; Barnstorming

> E. Science: "Kind"ness -- or Taxonomy
>
> E1. The Newfoundland coat of arms shows an elk, or Cervus
> canadensis, because the British heralds had never actually
> seen a specimen of Rangifer tarandus, the animal intended
> for the coat of arms. Which extremely Canadian animal is
> Rangifer tarandus?
>
> E2. The aptly named Dr. David Bird has recently proposed that
> Perisoreus canadensis be adopted as the national bird of
> Canada. Give one of the many colloquial names by which it
> is called in Canada.

Loonie

> F. Arts & Lit: Forgiveness -- or "The Merchant of Venice"
>
> F1. In "The Merchant of Venice", from which moneylender does
> Portia demand debt relief for a defaulting merchant-ship
> owner?

Shyster

> F2. What does <answer F1> demand in repayment of Antonio's
> defaulted debt?

The ship

Pete

Dan Tilque

Apr 23, 2015, 10:14:56 PM4/23/15
Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 5, Round 9 - Arts - Styles and Schools of Western Art
>
> We give you the names of two artists, and you name the school or
> style of art they are both associated with.
>
> 1. Jacques-Louis David, Jean-Auguste-Dominique Ingres ("ANG-rr").
> 2. Dante Gabriel Rossetti, J.W. Waterhouse.
> 3. Georges Seurat, Paul Signac.
> 4. Georges Rouault, Henri Matisse.
> 5. Pablo Picasso, Georges Braque.
> 6. Tristan Tzara, Marcel Duchamp.
> 7. Jackson Pollock, Willem de Kooning.

Dropcloth

> 8. Andy Warhol, Roy Lichtenstein.
> 9. Salvador Dali, Rene Magritte.

Surrealism ?

> 10. Alex Colville, Christopher Pratt.
>
> After completing the round, please decode the rot13: Vs lbh fnvq
> "pynffvpvfz", "rkcerffvbavfz", be "ernyvfz" sbe nal nafjre, jr
> arrq zber. Cyrnfr tb onpx naq nqq gur nccyvpnoyr jbeq be cersvk.
>

> * Game 5, Round 10 - Challenge Round - 6 out of 7 Virtues
>
> A. History: Vows of Chastity
>
> A1. Which order of monks with a vow of chastity was called the
> Black Friars?

Franciscans

> A2. These women of ancient Rome were committed to 30 years of
> celibacy in the service of a goddess, starting when they
> were 6-10 years old. When they retired, they were replaced
> by new inductees, given a pension, and allowed to marry.
> What were they called?

Vestal Virgins

> B. Canadiana: Temperance Movement
>
> B1. The passage of the Canada Temperance Act (1864), also
> called the Dunkin Act, allowed any county in the Canadas to
> forbid the sale of liquor by majority vote. The legislation
> did allow liquor to be obtained legally in two situations,
> though. Name either.

church services

> B2. After the repeal of the Temperance Act, municipalities had
> to vote to re-accept the sale of alcohol. When West Toronto
> was amalgamated into Toronto, the district, today called
> "the Junction", retained this right and was in fact kept
> "dry", largely through the efforts of William "Temperance
> Bill" Temple -- until what year, plus or minus 2 years?
>
> C. Entertainment: Charity
>
> C1. For 42 years, this glittering Toronto fundraising gala, the
> brainchild of Anna Maria de Souza, raised money for health
> care, research, education, and culture. It was last held
> in 2012. Name this gala.
>
> C2. Human rights organization Amnesty International has been
> running benefit shows featuring British comedians and
> musicians since 1976. What is the name used for this
> annual event?
>
> D. Sports: Diligence -- or Horse-Drawn Carriages
>
> D1. In harness racing, what is the 2-wheeled vehicle pulled by
> a single horse called?

trap

> D2. Associated with rodeos, this carriage race uses a team driven
> four-in-hand, supported by two or four outriders who each race
> individual thoroughbred horses that follow the main carriage.
> What is it called?
>
> E. Science: "Kind"ness -- or Taxonomy
>
> E1. The Newfoundland coat of arms shows an elk, or Cervus
> canadensis, because the British heralds had never actually
> seen a specimen of Rangifer tarandus, the animal intended
> for the coat of arms. Which extremely Canadian animal is
> Rangifer tarandus?

moose

> E2. The aptly named Dr. David Bird has recently proposed that
> Perisoreus canadensis be adopted as the national bird of
> Canada. Give one of the many colloquial names by which it
> is called in Canada.

Canada goose

> F. Arts & Lit: Forgiveness -- or "The Merchant of Venice"
>
> F1. In "The Merchant of Venice", from which moneylender does
> Portia demand debt relief for a defaulting merchant-ship
> owner?

Shylock

> F2. What does <answer F1> demand in repayment of Antonio's
> defaulted debt?

pound of flesh nearest his heart

--
Dan Tilque

Calvin

Apr 23, 2015, 11:05:14 PM4/23/15
On Thursday, April 23, 2015 at 9:15:21 AM UTC+10, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 5, Round 9 - Arts - Styles and Schools of Western Art
>
> We give you the names of two artists, and you name the school or
> style of art they are both associated with.
>
> 1. Jacques-Louis David, Jean-Auguste-Dominique Ingres ("ANG-rr").

Classical, Romantic

> 2. Dante Gabriel Rossetti, J.W. Waterhouse.

Pre-Raphaelite

> 3. Georges Seurat, Paul Signac.

Impressionism, Post-impressionism

> 4. Georges Rouault, Henri Matisse.

Dada

> 5. Pablo Picasso, Georges Braque.

Cubism, Dada

> 6. Tristan Tzara, Marcel Duchamp.

Art Noveau

> 7. Jackson Pollock, Willem de Kooning.

Modernist, Post-modernist

> 8. Andy Warhol, Roy Lichtenstein.

Pop Art

> 9. Salvador Dali, Rene Magritte.

Surrealism

> 10. Alex Colville, Christopher Pratt.

Modernist, Post-modernist

> * Game 5, Round 10 - Challenge Round - 6 out of 7 Virtues
>
> A. History: Vows of Chastity
>
> A1. Which order of monks with a vow of chastity was called the
> Black Friars?
>
> A2. These women of ancient Rome were committed to 30 years of
> celibacy in the service of a goddess, starting when they
> were 6-10 years old. When they retired, they were replaced
> by new inductees, given a pension, and allowed to marry.
> What were they called?

Sabines

> B. Canadiana: Temperance Movement
>
> B1. The passage of the Canada Temperance Act (1864), also
> called the Dunkin Act, allowed any county in the Canadas to
> forbid the sale of liquor by majority vote. The legislation
> did allow liquor to be obtained legally in two situations,
> though. Name either.

Medical treatment

> B2. After the repeal of the Temperance Act, municipalities had
> to vote to re-accept the sale of alcohol. When West Toronto
> was amalgamated into Toronto, the district, today called
> "the Junction", retained this right and was in fact kept
> "dry", largely through the efforts of William "Temperance
> Bill" Temple -- until what year, plus or minus 2 years?

1880, 1885

> C. Entertainment: Charity
>
> C1. For 42 years, this glittering Toronto fundraising gala, the
> brainchild of Anna Maria de Souza, raised money for health
> care, research, education, and culture. It was last held
> in 2012. Name this gala.
>
> C2. Human rights organization Amnesty International has been
> running benefit shows featuring British comedians and
> musicians since 1976. What is the name used for this
> annual event?

Prince's Trust?

> D. Sports: Diligence -- or Horse-Drawn Carriages
>
> D1. In harness racing, what is the 2-wheeled vehicle pulled by
> a single horse called?

Gig

> D2. Associated with rodeos, this carriage race uses a team driven
> four-in-hand, supported by two or four outriders who each race
> individual thoroughbred horses that follow the main carriage.
> What is it called?
>
> E. Science: "Kind"ness -- or Taxonomy
>
> E1. The Newfoundland coat of arms shows an elk, or Cervus
> canadensis, because the British heralds had never actually
> seen a specimen of Rangifer tarandus, the animal intended
> for the coat of arms. Which extremely Canadian animal is
> Rangifer tarandus?

Moose, Reindeer

> E2. The aptly named Dr. David Bird has recently proposed that
> Perisoreus canadensis be adopted as the national bird of
> Canada. Give one of the many colloquial names by which it
> is called in Canada.

Grey Goose

> F. Arts & Lit: Forgiveness -- or "The Merchant of Venice"
>
> F1. In "The Merchant of Venice", from which moneylender does
> Portia demand debt relief for a defaulting merchant-ship
> owner?

Shylock

> F2. What does <answer F1> demand in repayment of Antonio's
> defaulted debt?

Child, A pound of flesh

cheers,
calvin

Peter Smyth

Apr 24, 2015, 1:44:33 PM4/24/15
Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 5, Round 10 - Challenge Round - 6 out of 7 Virtues
>
> A. History: Vows of Chastity
>
> A1. Which order of monks with a vow of chastity was called the
> Black Friars?
>
> A2. These women of ancient Rome were committed to 30 years of
> celibacy in the service of a goddess, starting when they
> were 6-10 years old. When they retired, they were replaced
> by new inductees, given a pension, and allowed to marry.
> What were they called?
Vestal Virgins
> B. Canadiana: Temperance Movement
>
> B1. The passage of the Canada Temperance Act (1864), also
> called the Dunkin Act, allowed any county in the Canadas to
> forbid the sale of liquor by majority vote. The legislation
> did allow liquor to be obtained legally in two situations,
> though. Name either.
For use in church services
> B2. After the repeal of the Temperance Act, municipalities had
> to vote to re-accept the sale of alcohol. When West Toronto
> was amalgamated into Toronto, the district, today called
> "the Junction", retained this right and was in fact kept
> "dry", largely through the efforts of William "Temperance
> Bill" Temple -- until what year, plus or minus 2 years?
1952
> C. Entertainment: Charity
>
> C1. For 42 years, this glittering Toronto fundraising gala, the
> brainchild of Anna Maria de Souza, raised money for health
> care, research, education, and culture. It was last held
> in 2012. Name this gala.
>
> C2. Human rights organization Amnesty International has been
> running benefit shows featuring British comedians and
> musicians since 1976. What is the name used for this
> annual event?
Secret Policeman's Ball
> D. Sports: Diligence -- or Horse-Drawn Carriages
>
> D1. In harness racing, what is the 2-wheeled vehicle pulled by
> a single horse called?
Sulky
> D2. Associated with rodeos, this carriage race uses a team driven
> four-in-hand, supported by two or four outriders who each race
> individual thoroughbred horses that follow the main carriage.
> What is it called?
>
> E. Science: "Kind"ness -- or Taxonomy
>
> E1. The Newfoundland coat of arms shows an elk, or Cervus
> canadensis, because the British heralds had never actually
> seen a specimen of Rangifer tarandus, the animal intended
> for the coat of arms. Which extremely Canadian animal is
> Rangifer tarandus?
Reindeer
> E2. The aptly named Dr. David Bird has recently proposed that
> Perisoreus canadensis be adopted as the national bird of
> Canada. Give one of the many colloquial names by which it
> is called in Canada.
>
> F. Arts & Lit: Forgiveness -- or "The Merchant of Venice"
>
> F1. In "The Merchant of Venice", from which moneylender does
> Portia demand debt relief for a defaulting merchant-ship
> owner?
Shylock
> F2. What does <answer F1> demand in repayment of Antonio's
> defaulted debt?
A pound of flesh

Peter Smyth

swp

Apr 25, 2015, 1:52:26 AM4/25/15
On Wednesday, April 22, 2015 at 7:15:21 PM UTC-4, Mark Brader wrote:
> * Game 5, Round 9 - Arts - Styles and Schools of Western Art
>
> We give you the names of two artists, and you name the school or
> style of art they are both associated with.
>
> 1. Jacques-Louis David, Jean-Auguste-Dominique Ingres ("ANG-rr").

neoclassical

> 2. Dante Gabriel Rossetti, J.W. Waterhouse.

pre-raphaelite

> 3. Georges Seurat, Paul Signac.

post-impressionist

> 4. Georges Rouault, Henri Matisse.

fauvism

> 5. Pablo Picasso, Georges Braque.

cubism

> 6. Tristan Tzara, Marcel Duchamp.

dada-ism

> 7. Jackson Pollock, Willem de Kooning.

abstract expressionism

> 8. Andy Warhol, Roy Lichtenstein.

pop art

> 9. Salvador Dali, Rene Magritte.

surrealism

> 10. Alex Colville, Christopher Pratt.

modern post neoclassical ; canadian

> After completing the round, please decode the rot13: If you said
> "classicism", "expressionism", or "realism" for any answer, we
> need more. Please go back and add the applicable word or prefix.
>

> * Game 5, Round 10 - Challenge Round - 6 out of 7 Virtues
>
> A. History: Vows of Chastity
>
> A1. Which order of monks with a vow of chastity was called the
> Black Friars?

dominican order

> A2. These women of ancient Rome were committed to 30 years of
> celibacy in the service of a goddess, starting when they
> were 6-10 years old. When they retired, they were replaced
> by new inductees, given a pension, and allowed to marry.
> What were they called?

vestal virgins

> B. Canadiana: Temperance Movement
>
> B1. The passage of the Canada Temperance Act (1864), also
> called the Dunkin Act, allowed any county in the Canadas to
> forbid the sale of liquor by majority vote. The legislation
> did allow liquor to be obtained legally in two situations,
> though. Name either.

religious ceremonies

> B2. After the repeal of the Temperance Act, municipalities had
> to vote to re-accept the sale of alcohol. When West Toronto
> was amalgamated into Toronto, the district, today called
> "the Junction", retained this right and was in fact kept
> "dry", largely through the efforts of William "Temperance
> Bill" Temple -- until what year, plus or minus 2 years?

1987?

> C. Entertainment: Charity
>
> C1. For 42 years, this glittering Toronto fundraising gala, the
> brainchild of Anna Maria de Souza, raised money for health
> care, research, education, and culture. It was last held
> in 2012. Name this gala.

carnival ball? (I know there's more to it, but I am drawing a blank)

> C2. Human rights organization Amnesty International has been
> running benefit shows featuring British comedians and
> musicians since 1976. What is the name used for this
> annual event?

the secret policeman's underground ball

> D. Sports: Diligence -- or Horse-Drawn Carriages
>
> D1. In harness racing, what is the 2-wheeled vehicle pulled by
> a single horse called?

sulky

> D2. Associated with rodeos, this carriage race uses a team driven
> four-in-hand, supported by two or four outriders who each race
> individual thoroughbred horses that follow the main carriage.
> What is it called?

wagontrain race

> E. Science: "Kind"ness -- or Taxonomy
>
> E1. The Newfoundland coat of arms shows an elk, or Cervus
> canadensis, because the British heralds had never actually
> seen a specimen of Rangifer tarandus, the animal intended
> for the coat of arms. Which extremely Canadian animal is
> Rangifer tarandus?

caribou

> E2. The aptly named Dr. David Bird has recently proposed that
> Perisoreus canadensis be adopted as the national bird of
> Canada. Give one of the many colloquial names by which it
> is called in Canada.

whiskey jack

> F. Arts & Lit: Forgiveness -- or "The Merchant of Venice"
>
> F1. In "The Merchant of Venice", from which moneylender does
> Portia demand debt relief for a defaulting merchant-ship
> owner?

shylock

> F2. What does <answer F1> demand in repayment of Antonio's
> defaulted debt?

a pound of flesh

swp

Mark Brader

Apr 25, 2015, 6:40:07 PM4/25/15
Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2015-02-09,
> see my 2015-02-23 companion posting on "Questions from the
> Canadian Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

Game 5 is over and Stephen Perry has whomped the field.
Hearty congratulations!

> * Game 5, Round 9 - Arts - Styles and Schools of Western Art

> We give you the names of two artists, and you name the school or
> style of art they are both associated with.

> 1. Jacques-Louis David, Jean-Auguste-Dominique Ingres ("ANG-rr").

Neoclassicism or Romanticism. 4 for Stephen. 2 for Calvin.

> 2. Dante Gabriel Rossetti, J.W. Waterhouse.

Pre-Raphaelite. 4 for Dan Blum, Calvin, and Stephen.

> 3. Georges Seurat, Paul Signac.

Pointillism. 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, and Pete.

> 4. Georges Rouault, Henri Matisse.

Fauvism. 4 for Dan Blum and Stephen.

> 5. Pablo Picasso, Georges Braque.

(Analytic) cubism. 4 for Dan Blum, Marc, Björn, Erland, Pete,
and Stephen. 3 for Calvin.

> 6. Tristan Tzara, Marcel Duchamp.

Dadaism. 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, and Stephen.

> 7. Jackson Pollock, Willem de Kooning.

Abstract expressionism or action painting. I scored "abstract"
as almost correct. 4 for Pete and Stephen. 3 for Marc.

> 8. Andy Warhol, Roy Lichtenstein.

Pop art. 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, Marc, Calvin, and Stephen.

> 9. Salvador Dali, Rene Magritte.

Surrealism. 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, Marc, Björn, Erland, Dan Tilque,
Calvin, and Stephen.

> 10. Alex Colville, Christopher Pratt.

Magic realism or super-realism.

> * Game 5, Round 10 - Challenge Round - 6 out of 7 Virtues

> A. History: Vows of Chastity

> A1. Which order of monks with a vow of chastity was called the
> Black Friars?

Dominicans. 4 for Dan Blum, Bruce, and Stephen.

> A2. These women of ancient Rome were committed to 30 years of
> celibacy in the service of a goddess, starting when they
> were 6-10 years old. When they retired, they were replaced
> by new inductees, given a pension, and allowed to marry.
> What were they called?

The Vestal Virgins. 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, Marc, Bruce, Björn,
Dan Tilque, Peter, and Stephen.

> B. Canadiana: Temperance Movement

> B1. The passage of the Canada Temperance Act (1864), also
> called the Dunkin Act, allowed any county in the Canadas to
> forbid the sale of liquor by majority vote. The legislation
> did allow liquor to be obtained legally in two situations,
> though. Name either.

Sacramental usage, medicinal usage (I accepted "anesthetic").
4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, Bruce, Pete, Dan Tilque, Calvin, Peter,
and Stephen.

> B2. After the repeal of the Temperance Act, municipalities had
> to vote to re-accept the sale of alcohol. When West Toronto
> was amalgamated into Toronto, the district, today called
> "the Junction", retained this right and was in fact kept
> "dry", largely through the efforts of William "Temperance
> Bill" Temple -- until what year, plus or minus 2 years?

2000 (accepting 1998-2002). The closest guess was 13 years off.

> C. Entertainment: Charity

> C1. For 42 years, this glittering Toronto fundraising gala, the
> brainchild of Anna Maria de Souza, raised money for health
> care, research, education, and culture. It was last held
> in 2012. Name this gala.

Brazilian (Carnival) Ball. 3 for Stephen.

> C2. Human rights organization Amnesty International has been
> running benefit shows featuring British comedians and
> musicians since 1976. What is the name used for this
> annual event?

Secret Policeman's Balls. 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, Peter, and Stephen.

> D. Sports: Diligence -- or Horse-Drawn Carriages

> D1. In harness racing, what is the 2-wheeled vehicle pulled by
> a single horse called?

Sulky. 4 for Marc, Bruce, Björn, Pete, Peter, and Stephen.
3 for Dan Blum.

> D2. Associated with rodeos, this carriage race uses a team driven
> four-in-hand, supported by two or four outriders who each race
> individual thoroughbred horses that follow the main carriage.
> What is it called?

Chuckwagon. 4 for Bruce.

> E. Science: "Kind"ness -- or Taxonomy

> E1. The Newfoundland coat of arms shows an elk, or Cervus
> canadensis, because the British heralds had never actually
> seen a specimen of Rangifer tarandus, the animal intended
> for the coat of arms. Which extremely Canadian animal is
> Rangifer tarandus?

Caribou or reindeer. 4 for Dan Blum, Bruce, Peter, and Stephen.
3 for Joshua. 2 for Calvin.

> E2. The aptly named Dr. David Bird has recently proposed that
> Perisoreus canadensis be adopted as the national bird of
> Canada. Give one of the many colloquial names by which it
> is called in Canada.

Grey jay, Canada jay, whiskey jack. 4 for Bruce and Stephen.

> F. Arts & Lit: Forgiveness -- or "The Merchant of Venice"

> F1. In "The Merchant of Venice", from which moneylender does
> Portia demand debt relief for a defaulting merchant-ship
> owner?

Shylock. 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, Marc, Bruce, Pete, Dan Tilque,
Calvin, Peter, and Stephen.

> F2. What does <answer F1> demand in repayment of Antonio's
> defaulted debt?

A pound of his flesh. 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, Marc, Dan Tilque,
Peter, and Stephen. 2 for Calvin.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 5 ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 6 7 8 9 10 BEST
TOPICS-> His Sci Can Spo Geo Ent Art Cha SIX
Stephen Perry 36 36 4 16 36 40 32 39 219
Joshua Kreitzer 32 35 0 4 27 36 16 23 169
Marc Dashevsky 23 40 0 2 21 20 15 16 135
"Calvin" 27 21 -- -- 29 6 17 12 112
Dan Tilque 24 28 0 4 32 0 4 16 108
Dan Blum -- -- -- -- 17 19 28 31 95
Bruce Bowler 20 36 -- -- -- -- 0 32 88
Peter Smyth 14 27 -- -- 16 0 0 28 85
Erland Sommarskog 20 16 -- -- 32 0 8 0 76
Pete Gayde -- -- 0 8 15 4 12 12 51
Björn Lundin 15 7 -- -- 8 4 8 8 50

--
Mark Brader | "No woman in my time will be Prime Minister or Chancellor
Toronto | or Foreign Secretary ... Anyway, I wouldn't want to be

Calvin

Apr 26, 2015, 9:24:39 PM4/26/15
On Sunday, April 26, 2015 at 8:40:07 AM UTC+10, Mark Brader wrote:

> D1. In harness racing, what is the 2-wheeled vehicle pulled by
> a single horse called?

> Sulky. 4 for Marc, Bruce, Björn, Pete, Peter, and Stephen.
> 3 for Dan Blum.

Protest! It's also known as a gig.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harness_racing_in_Australia
http://www.harness.org.au/news/uploads/Gig%20Insurance%20Advertisement%20_3_.pdf

cheers,
calvin

Mark Brader

Apr 27, 2015, 8:53:49 AM4/27/15
Mark Brader:
> > D1. In harness racing, what is the 2-wheeled vehicle pulled by
> > a single horse called?
>
> > Sulky. 4 for Marc, Bruce, Björn, Pete, Peter, and Stephen.
> > 3 for Dan Blum.

"Calvin":
> Protest! It's also known as a gig...

4 for Calvin also.

Scores, if there are now no errors:

GAME 5 ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 6 7 8 9 10 BEST
TOPICS-> His Sci Can Spo Geo Ent Art Cha SIX
Stephen Perry 36 36 4 16 36 40 32 39 219
Joshua Kreitzer 32 35 0 4 27 36 16 23 169
Marc Dashevsky 23 40 0 2 21 20 15 16 135
"Calvin" 27 21 -- -- 29 6 17 16 116
Dan Tilque 24 28 0 4 32 0 4 16 108
Dan Blum -- -- -- -- 17 19 28 31 95
Bruce Bowler 20 36 -- -- -- -- 0 32 88
Peter Smyth 14 27 -- -- 16 0 0 28 85
Erland Sommarskog 20 16 -- -- 32 0 8 0 76
Pete Gayde -- -- 0 8 15 4 12 12 51
Björn Lundin 15 7 -- -- 8 4 8 8 50

--
Mark Brader, Toronto, m...@vex.net
Many computer users in the world at large seem to have been so

Björn Lundin

Apr 27, 2015, 10:45:54 AM4/27/15
On 2015-04-26 00:40, Mark Brader wrote:

> E1. The Newfoundland coat of arms shows an elk, or Cervus
> canadensis, because the British heralds had never actually
> seen a specimen of Rangifer tarandus, the animal intended
> for the coat of arms. Which extremely Canadian animal is
> Rangifer tarandus?

I knew that Canada is big,
but I did not know that it covered Russia and most of northern
Scandinavia/Finland too ;-)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reindeer#Rangifer_tarandus_by_country

--
Björn

Mark Brader

Apr 27, 2015, 11:37:06 AM4/27/15
Björn Lundin:
> I knew that Canada is big, but I did not know that it covered
> Russia and most of northern Scandinavia/Finland too ;-)

Next you'll be telling me that Santa Claus doesn't live at the
North Pole in Canada. :-)
--
Mark Brader A real Canadian science-fiction plot would be
Toronto about whether alien visitors were a federal or

Calvin

Apr 29, 2015, 6:46:55 PM4/29/15
On Monday, April 27, 2015 at 10:53:49 PM UTC+10, Mark Brader wrote:
> Mark Brader:
> > > D1. In harness racing, what is the 2-wheeled vehicle pulled by
> > > a single horse called?
> >
> > > Sulky. 4 for Marc, Bruce, Björn, Pete, Peter, and Stephen.
> > > 3 for Dan Blum.
>
> "Calvin":
> > Protest! It's also known as a gig...
>
> 4 for Calvin also.