QFTCIBSI Game 6, Rounds 9-10: EuroLit, Johnson

Mark Brader

Mar 26, 2016, 10:20:01 PM3/26/16
These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2015-11-02,
and should be interpreted accordingly.

Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

All questions were written by members of the Bloor St. Irregulars,
and are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
see my 2015-08-18 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

* Game 6, Round 9 - Literature - European Literature

Where a title is asked for, if the original work was not in English,
you can give either the English or the original version.

1. "Swann's Way", "In the Shadow of Young Girls in Flower",
"The Guermantes Way", "Sodom & Gomorrah", "The Prisoner", "The
Fugitive", and "Time Regained". These are the 7 volumes of
which early 20th century novel, one of the longest ever written?

2. In this, the first book of his Danzig Trilogy, Günter Grass
tells the story of Oskar Matzerath, who decides to never grow up,
living through World War II in the body of a child. The book
is named for Oskar's prized possession, which has to be replaced
several times over the course of the novel. Name the novel.

3. This author is best known in the West for his magnum opus about
the First World War and its aftermath. The work was smuggled to
Italy in 1957 for publication. He won the 1958 Nobel Prize for
Literature, but was unable to leave his country to accept it.
Name the author.

4. This author's best-known work is "La condition humaine" ("Man's
Fate"), a novel about a Communist uprising in Shanghai, which
won the Prix Goncourt in 1933. During the presidency of
Charles de Gaulle, he served as France's Minster of Culture.
Name the author.

5. Although he had considerable success in his native Italy as
a poet of the Decadent school, this man is best remembered today
for seizing the city of Fiume in 1919 and declaring a short-lived
republic which was a forerunner of Mussolini's Fascist movement.
Name this poet, war hero, and Duce of Carnaro.

6. Major works by this author include "Siddhartha" and "The
Glass Bead Game". He won the Nobel Prize for Literature in 1946.
However, his best-known work is the one we referenced in our
Band Name Origins round in Game 3. Name the author.

7. Set in the far future, this 1924 novel by Yevgeny Zamyatin tells
the story of D-503, who struggles against the mechanistic society
of the One State. Orwell started writing "Nineteen Eighty-Four"
a few months after reviewing the book. What is the 2-letter
title of this influential dystopian novel?

8. This Algerian-born existentialist writer wrote numerous works
of non-fiction, including "The Myth of Sisyphus" and "The Rebel".
However, he is best-known for a 1942 novel in which Meursault
fails to cry at his mother's funeral and kills an Arab on the
beach. Name either the Nobel-prizewinning author or that novel.

9. This man is the author of numerous works in Czech, such as
"The Joke and Life is Elsewhere". His best-known work was
first published in French in 1984, and involves a bowler hat
and a love triangle, in Prague in the late 1960s. The book
was adapted (loosely) into a 1988 movie starring Jeremy Irons,
Juliette Binoche, and Lena Olin. Name either the Czech author
or that novel.

10. In this 1946 novel, the best-known work of Nikos Kazantzakis,
the narrator is taught to appreciate love and life by the title
character, a flamboyant older man. The 1964 movie adaptation
received 7 Academy Award nominations, including one for Anthony
Quinn as the title character. Name the novel.

* Game 6, Round 10 - Challenge Round - Johnsons

Staring dejectedly at the QM and mumbling "Johnson" as an answer
won't be good enough on this roudn! All answers (where applicable)
will require the full name to be acceptable.

A. Johnsons who Play Golf

A1. This American, who has had nine Top 10 major finishes since
2010, has been more in the news lately for his voluntary
leave of absence in 2014 following an apparent positive
drug test for cocaine -- as well as his association with
Paulina Gretzky, his fiancee and mother to his son Tatum.
Name the Johnson!

A2. This Iowa native has 28 professional wins since 1998; the two
biggest are the 2007 Masters and, most recently, the 2015
British Open title that he won in a 3-way playoff. Who is
this Johnson?

B. Johnsons who Play Music

B1. Name this Englishman, known for his distinctive raspy voice,
who took over lead singer duties of AC/DC from Bon Scott,
following Scott's untimely death in 1980. Which Johnson
is it?

B2. Son of famous surfer Jeff Johnson, this mellow Hawaiian has
sold millions of records since his 2002 debut album
"Brushfires and Fairytales", and is best known for the songs
"Upside Down", "Better Together", and "Sitting, Waiting,
Wishing". Name that Johnson!

C. Johnsons who Write (or Wrote)

C1. This accomplished English writer, poet, biographer, essayist,
literary critic, editor, and lexicographer born in 1709 is
one of the most significant literary figures in history, but
is perhaps even more famous as the subject of a biography
by James Boswell that is widely considered the greatest
English-language biography ever. Name this Johnson.

C2. Name this American writer, the winner of the 2013 Pulitzer
Prize in Fiction for his novel "The Orphan Master's Son",
which was described by New York Times critic Michiko Kakutani
as "a daring and remarkable novel, a novel that not only
opens a frightening window on the mysterious kingdom of
North Korea but one that also excavates the very meaning
of love and sacrifice."

D. Johnsons who were President of the USA

D1. Andrew Johnson, the 17th American President, served between
two other more famous presidents, who were hugely significant
figures in the US Civil War. Name *both* of these two men.

D2. Please decode the rot13 only after you have finished with the
previous question. Ylaqba O. Wbuafba nyfb svyyrq gur
cbfvgvba sbyybjvat uvf cerqrprffbe'f nffnffvangvba.
Sbyybjvat hc ba WSX'f jbex, YOW vagebqhprq n frg bs qbzrfgvp
cbyvpvrf gung jrer vagraqrq gb ryvzvangr cbiregl naq enpvny
vawhfgvpr. Anzr gur *gjb-jbeq grez* gung ur hfrq gb ersre gb
guvf frg bs cbyvpvrf. Ur vagebqhprq vg ng na Buvb Havirefvgl
fcrrpu ba 1964-05-22; vg rapbzcnffrq fhpu znwbe cvrprf bs
yrtvfyngvba nf gur Pvivy Evtugf Npg naq Fbpvny Frphevgl Npg.

E. Johnsons who are (or were) Canadian

E1. This Canadian poet, writer, and performer of Mohawk/English
descent became famous in the last 1800s and early 1900s
around the country with her dramatic talent, beauty, and
stage presence -- as well as regularly publishing her works
in periodicals such as the "Globe" and "Saturday Night".
Selected publications include "The White Wampum" and
"Legends of Vancouver". Name this lady Johnson.

E2. Jamaican-born sprinter Ben Johnson exhilarated Canadians by
setting a world record time in the 100 m dash at 9.79 seconds
at the 1988 Summer Olympics. This record lasted all of
3 days, until Johnson was disqualified over steroid use.
What city hosted this infamous race?

F. Johnson & Johnson

F1. Incorporated in 1887 by brothers Robert, James, and Edward,
Johnson & Johnson has become a multinational healthcare
company with such famous brands as Band-Aid, Neutrogena
and Acuvue. The company also produces drugs to treat such
conditions as cancer, ADHD, and rheumatoid arthritis.
In 2012, the FDA approved Sirturo (bedaquiline) -- the
first new medicine in the previous 40 years to fight *what
infectious disease*?

F2. In 1982, the pharmaceutical giant was forced to recall
31,000,000 bottles of Tylenol capsules after 7 individuals
in the Chicago area died following ingesting pills that
had been laced with *what toxic substance*?

--
Mark Brader | "It is difficult to get a man to understand something,
Toronto | when his salary depends upon his not understanding it!"

Joshua Kreitzer

Mar 26, 2016, 11:16:32 PM3/26/16
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:YqadnTN-upbN3mrLnZ2dnUU7-
L_N...@giganews.com:

> * Game 6, Round 9 - Literature - European Literature
>
> Where a title is asked for, if the original work was not in English,
> you can give either the English or the original version.
>
> 1. "Swann's Way", "In the Shadow of Young Girls in Flower",
> "The Guermantes Way", "Sodom & Gomorrah", "The Prisoner", "The
> Fugitive", and "Time Regained". These are the 7 volumes of
> which early 20th century novel, one of the longest ever written?

"A la recherche du temps perdu"

> 2. In this, the first book of his Danzig Trilogy, Günter Grass
> tells the story of Oskar Matzerath, who decides to never grow up,
> living through World War II in the body of a child. The book
> is named for Oskar's prized possession, which has to be replaced
> several times over the course of the novel. Name the novel.

"The Tin Drum"

> 3. This author is best known in the West for his magnum opus about
> the First World War and its aftermath. The work was smuggled to
> Italy in 1957 for publication. He won the 1958 Nobel Prize for
> Literature, but was unable to leave his country to accept it.
> Name the author.

Pasternak

> 4. This author's best-known work is "La condition humaine" ("Man's
> Fate"), a novel about a Communist uprising in Shanghai, which
> won the Prix Goncourt in 1933. During the presidency of
> Charles de Gaulle, he served as France's Minster of Culture.
> Name the author.

Malraux

> 5. Although he had considerable success in his native Italy as
> a poet of the Decadent school, this man is best remembered today
> for seizing the city of Fiume in 1919 and declaring a short-lived
> republic which was a forerunner of Mussolini's Fascist movement.
> Name this poet, war hero, and Duce of Carnaro.

Camilo Croce (?)

> 6. Major works by this author include "Siddhartha" and "The
> Glass Bead Game". He won the Nobel Prize for Literature in 1946.
> However, his best-known work is the one we referenced in our
> Band Name Origins round in Game 3. Name the author.

Hesse

> 7. Set in the far future, this 1924 novel by Yevgeny Zamyatin tells
> the story of D-503, who struggles against the mechanistic society
> of the One State. Orwell started writing "Nineteen Eighty-Four"
> a few months after reviewing the book. What is the 2-letter
> title of this influential dystopian novel?

"We"

> 8. This Algerian-born existentialist writer wrote numerous works
> of non-fiction, including "The Myth of Sisyphus" and "The Rebel".
> However, he is best-known for a 1942 novel in which Meursault
> fails to cry at his mother's funeral and kills an Arab on the
> beach. Name either the Nobel-prizewinning author or that novel.

Camus

> 9. This man is the author of numerous works in Czech, such as
> "The Joke and Life is Elsewhere". His best-known work was
> first published in French in 1984, and involves a bowler hat
> and a love triangle, in Prague in the late 1960s. The book
> was adapted (loosely) into a 1988 movie starring Jeremy Irons,
> Juliette Binoche, and Lena Olin. Name either the Czech author
> or that novel.

Kundera

> 10. In this 1946 novel, the best-known work of Nikos Kazantzakis,
> the narrator is taught to appreciate love and life by the title
> character, a flamboyant older man. The 1964 movie adaptation
> received 7 Academy Award nominations, including one for Anthony
> Quinn as the title character. Name the novel.

"Zorba the Greek"

> * Game 6, Round 10 - Challenge Round - Johnsons
>
> A. Johnsons who Play Golf
>
> A1. This American, who has had nine Top 10 major finishes since
> 2010, has been more in the news lately for his voluntary
> leave of absence in 2014 following an apparent positive
> drug test for cocaine -- as well as his association with
> Paulina Gretzky, his fiancee and mother to his son Tatum.
> Name the Johnson!

Dustin Johnson (?)

> A2. This Iowa native has 28 professional wins since 1998; the two
> biggest are the 2007 Masters and, most recently, the 2015
> British Open title that he won in a 3-way playoff. Who is
> this Johnson?

Dustin Johnson (?)

> B. Johnsons who Play Music
>
> B1. Name this Englishman, known for his distinctive raspy voice,
> who took over lead singer duties of AC/DC from Bon Scott,
> following Scott's untimely death in 1980. Which Johnson
> is it?

Brian Johnson

> B2. Son of famous surfer Jeff Johnson, this mellow Hawaiian has
> sold millions of records since his 2002 debut album
> "Brushfires and Fairytales", and is best known for the songs
> "Upside Down", "Better Together", and "Sitting, Waiting,
> Wishing". Name that Johnson!

Jack Johnson (?)

> C. Johnsons who Write (or Wrote)
>
> C1. This accomplished English writer, poet, biographer, essayist,
> literary critic, editor, and lexicographer born in 1709 is
> one of the most significant literary figures in history, but
> is perhaps even more famous as the subject of a biography
> by James Boswell that is widely considered the greatest
> English-language biography ever. Name this Johnson.

Samuel Johnson

> D. Johnsons who were President of the USA
>
> D1. Andrew Johnson, the 17th American President, served between
> two other more famous presidents, who were hugely significant
> figures in the US Civil War. Name *both* of these two men.

Abraham Lincoln, Ulysses Grant

> D2. Please decode the rot13 only after you have finished with the
> previous question. Ylaqba O. Wbuafba nyfb svyyrq gur
> cbfvgvba sbyybjvat uvf cerqrprffbe'f nffnffvangvba.
> Sbyybjvat hc ba WSX'f jbex, YOW vagebqhprq n frg bs qbzrfgvp
> cbyvpvrf gung jrer vagraqrq gb ryvzvangr cbiregl naq enpvny
> vawhfgvpr. Anzr gur *gjb-jbeq grez* gung ur hfrq gb ersre gb
> guvf frg bs cbyvpvrf. Ur vagebqhprq vg ng na Buvb Havirefvgl
> fcrrpu ba 1964-05-22; vg rapbzcnffrq fhpu znwbe cvrprf bs
> yrtvfyngvba nf gur Pvivy Evtugf Npg naq Fbpvny Frphevgl Npg.

Great Society

> E. Johnsons who are (or were) Canadian
>
> E2. Jamaican-born sprinter Ben Johnson exhilarated Canadians by
> setting a world record time in the 100 m dash at 9.79 seconds
> at the 1988 Summer Olympics. This record lasted all of
> 3 days, until Johnson was disqualified over steroid use.
> What city hosted this infamous race?

Seoul

> F. Johnson & Johnson
>
> F1. Incorporated in 1887 by brothers Robert, James, and Edward,
> Johnson & Johnson has become a multinational healthcare
> company with such famous brands as Band-Aid, Neutrogena
> and Acuvue. The company also produces drugs to treat such
> conditions as cancer, ADHD, and rheumatoid arthritis.
> In 2012, the FDA approved Sirturo (bedaquiline) -- the
> first new medicine in the previous 40 years to fight *what
> infectious disease*?

malaria

> F2. In 1982, the pharmaceutical giant was forced to recall
> 31,000,000 bottles of Tylenol capsules after 7 individuals
> in the Chicago area died following ingesting pills that
> had been laced with *what toxic substance*?

cyanide

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

Jason Kreitzer

Mar 26, 2016, 11:24:09 PM3/26/16
Hermann Hesse
> 7. Set in the far future, this 1924 novel by Yevgeny Zamyatin tells
> the story of D-503, who struggles against the mechanistic society
> of the One State. Orwell started writing "Nineteen Eighty-Four"
> a few months after reviewing the book. What is the 2-letter
> title of this influential dystopian novel?
"We"
> 8. This Algerian-born existentialist writer wrote numerous works
> of non-fiction, including "The Myth of Sisyphus" and "The Rebel".
> However, he is best-known for a 1942 novel in which Meursault
> fails to cry at his mother's funeral and kills an Arab on the
> beach. Name either the Nobel-prizewinning author or that novel.
"Meersault"
> 9. This man is the author of numerous works in Czech, such as
> "The Joke and Life is Elsewhere". His best-known work was
> first published in French in 1984, and involves a bowler hat
> and a love triangle, in Prague in the late 1960s. The book
> was adapted (loosely) into a 1988 movie starring Jeremy Irons,
> Juliette Binoche, and Lena Olin. Name either the Czech author
> or that novel.
>
> 10. In this 1946 novel, the best-known work of Nikos Kazantzakis,
> the narrator is taught to appreciate love and life by the title
> character, a flamboyant older man. The 1964 movie adaptation
> received 7 Academy Award nominations, including one for Anthony
> Quinn as the title character. Name the novel.
"Zorba the Greek"

> * Game 6, Round 10 - Challenge Round - Johnsons
>
> Staring dejectedly at the QM and mumbling "Johnson" as an answer
> won't be good enough on this roudn! All answers (where applicable)
> will require the full name to be acceptable.
>
> A. Johnsons who Play Golf
>
> A1. This American, who has had nine Top 10 major finishes since
> 2010, has been more in the news lately for his voluntary
> leave of absence in 2014 following an apparent positive
> drug test for cocaine -- as well as his association with
> Paulina Gretzky, his fiancee and mother to his son Tatum.
> Name the Johnson!
>
> A2. This Iowa native has 28 professional wins since 1998; the two
> biggest are the 2007 Masters and, most recently, the 2015
> British Open title that he won in a 3-way playoff. Who is
> this Johnson?
>
> B. Johnsons who Play Music
>
> B1. Name this Englishman, known for his distinctive raspy voice,
> who took over lead singer duties of AC/DC from Bon Scott,
> following Scott's untimely death in 1980. Which Johnson
> is it?
Brian Johnson
> B2. Son of famous surfer Jeff Johnson, this mellow Hawaiian has
> sold millions of records since his 2002 debut album
> "Brushfires and Fairytales", and is best known for the songs
> "Upside Down", "Better Together", and "Sitting, Waiting,
> Wishing". Name that Johnson!
>
> C. Johnsons who Write (or Wrote)
>
> C1. This accomplished English writer, poet, biographer, essayist,
> literary critic, editor, and lexicographer born in 1709 is
> one of the most significant literary figures in history, but
> is perhaps even more famous as the subject of a biography
> by James Boswell that is widely considered the greatest
> English-language biography ever. Name this Johnson.
Dr. Samuel Johnson
> C2. Name this American writer, the winner of the 2013 Pulitzer
> Prize in Fiction for his novel "The Orphan Master's Son",
> which was described by New York Times critic Michiko Kakutani
> as "a daring and remarkable novel, a novel that not only
> opens a frightening window on the mysterious kingdom of
> North Korea but one that also excavates the very meaning
> of love and sacrifice."
>
> D. Johnsons who were President of the USA
>
> D1. Andrew Johnson, the 17th American President, served between
> two other more famous presidents, who were hugely significant
> figures in the US Civil War. Name *both* of these two men.
Abraham Lincoln and Ulysses S. Grant
> D2. Please decode the rot13 only after you have finished with the
> previous question. Ylaqba O. Wbuafba nyfb svyyrq gur
> cbfvgvba sbyybjvat uvf cerqrprffbe'f nffnffvangvba.
> Sbyybjvat hc ba WSX'f jbex, YOW vagebqhprq n frg bs qbzrfgvp
> cbyvpvrf gung jrer vagraqrq gb ryvzvangr cbiregl naq enpvny
> vawhfgvpr. Anzr gur *gjb-jbeq grez* gung ur hfrq gb ersre gb
> guvf frg bs cbyvpvrf. Ur vagebqhprq vg ng na Buvb Havirefvgl
> fcrrpu ba 1964-05-22; vg rapbzcnffrq fhpu znwbe cvrprf bs
> yrtvfyngvba nf gur Pvivy Evtugf Npg naq Fbpvny Frphevgl Npg.

Lyndon B. Johnson also filled the position following his predecessor's assassination. Following up on JFK's work, LBJ introduced a set of domestic
policies that were intended to eliminate poverty and racial injustice. Name the *two-word term* that he used to refer to this set of policies. He introduced it at an Ohio University speech on 1964-05-22; it encompassed such major pieces of legislation as the Civil Rights Act and Social Security Act.

Great Society
Cyanide

Dan Blum

Mar 27, 2016, 12:13:08 AM3/27/16
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 6, Round 9 - Literature - European Literature

> 1. "Swann's Way", "In the Shadow of Young Girls in Flower",
> "The Guermantes Way", "Sodom & Gomorrah", "The Prisoner", "The
> Fugitive", and "Time Regained". These are the 7 volumes of
> which early 20th century novel, one of the longest ever written?

Remembrance of Things Past

> 2. In this, the first book of his Danzig Trilogy, G?nter Grass
> tells the story of Oskar Matzerath, who decides to never grow up,
> living through World War II in the body of a child. The book
> is named for Oskar's prized possession, which has to be replaced
> several times over the course of the novel. Name the novel.

The Tin Drum

> 3. This author is best known in the West for his magnum opus about
> the First World War and its aftermath. The work was smuggled to
> Italy in 1957 for publication. He won the 1958 Nobel Prize for
> Literature, but was unable to leave his country to accept it.
> Name the author.

Solzhenitsyn

> 5. Although he had considerable success in his native Italy as
> a poet of the Decadent school, this man is best remembered today
> for seizing the city of Fiume in 1919 and declaring a short-lived
> republic which was a forerunner of Mussolini's Fascist movement.
> Name this poet, war hero, and Duce of Carnaro.

D'Annunzio

> 6. Major works by this author include "Siddhartha" and "The
> Glass Bead Game". He won the Nobel Prize for Literature in 1946.
> However, his best-known work is the one we referenced in our
> Band Name Origins round in Game 3. Name the author.

Hesse

> 7. Set in the far future, this 1924 novel by Yevgeny Zamyatin tells
> the story of D-503, who struggles against the mechanistic society
> of the One State. Orwell started writing "Nineteen Eighty-Four"
> a few months after reviewing the book. What is the 2-letter
> title of this influential dystopian novel?

We

> 8. This Algerian-born existentialist writer wrote numerous works
> of non-fiction, including "The Myth of Sisyphus" and "The Rebel".
> However, he is best-known for a 1942 novel in which Meursault
> fails to cry at his mother's funeral and kills an Arab on the
> beach. Name either the Nobel-prizewinning author or that novel.

Camus

> 9. This man is the author of numerous works in Czech, such as
> "The Joke and Life is Elsewhere". His best-known work was
> first published in French in 1984, and involves a bowler hat
> and a love triangle, in Prague in the late 1960s. The book
> was adapted (loosely) into a 1988 movie starring Jeremy Irons,
> Juliette Binoche, and Lena Olin. Name either the Czech author
> or that novel.

The Unbearable Lightness of Being

> 10. In this 1946 novel, the best-known work of Nikos Kazantzakis,
> the narrator is taught to appreciate love and life by the title
> character, a flamboyant older man. The 1964 movie adaptation
> received 7 Academy Award nominations, including one for Anthony
> Quinn as the title character. Name the novel.

Zorba the Greek

> * Game 6, Round 10 - Challenge Round - Johnsons

> A. Johnsons who Play Golf

> A1. This American, who has had nine Top 10 major finishes since
> 2010, has been more in the news lately for his voluntary
> leave of absence in 2014 following an apparent positive
> drug test for cocaine -- as well as his association with
> Paulina Gretzky, his fiancee and mother to his son Tatum.
> Name the Johnson!

Ben Johnson

> A2. This Iowa native has 28 professional wins since 1998; the two
> biggest are the 2007 Masters and, most recently, the 2015
> British Open title that he won in a 3-way playoff. Who is
> this Johnson?

Ben Johnson

> C. Johnsons who Write (or Wrote)

> C1. This accomplished English writer, poet, biographer, essayist,
> literary critic, editor, and lexicographer born in 1709 is
> one of the most significant literary figures in history, but
> is perhaps even more famous as the subject of a biography
> by James Boswell that is widely considered the greatest
> English-language biography ever. Name this Johnson.

Samuel Johnson

> D. Johnsons who were President of the USA

> D1. Andrew Johnson, the 17th American President, served between
> two other more famous presidents, who were hugely significant
> figures in the US Civil War. Name *both* of these two men.

Lincoln and Grant

> D2. Please decode the rot13 only after you have finished with the
> previous question. Ylaqba O. Wbuafba nyfb svyyrq gur
> cbfvgvba sbyybjvat uvf cerqrprffbe'f nffnffvangvba.
> Sbyybjvat hc ba WSX'f jbex, YOW vagebqhprq n frg bs qbzrfgvp
> cbyvpvrf gung jrer vagraqrq gb ryvzvangr cbiregl naq enpvny
> vawhfgvpr. Anzr gur *gjb-jbeq grez* gung ur hfrq gb ersre gb
> guvf frg bs cbyvpvrf. Ur vagebqhprq vg ng na Buvb Havirefvgl
> fcrrpu ba 1964-05-22; vg rapbzcnffrq fhpu znwbe cvrprf bs
> yrtvfyngvba nf gur Pvivy Evtugf Npg naq Fbpvny Frphevgl Npg.

Great Society

> E. Johnsons who are (or were) Canadian

> E2. Jamaican-born sprinter Ben Johnson exhilarated Canadians by
> setting a world record time in the 100 m dash at 9.79 seconds
> at the 1988 Summer Olympics. This record lasted all of
> 3 days, until Johnson was disqualified over steroid use.
> What city hosted this infamous race?

Seoul

> F. Johnson & Johnson

> F1. Incorporated in 1887 by brothers Robert, James, and Edward,
> Johnson & Johnson has become a multinational healthcare
> company with such famous brands as Band-Aid, Neutrogena
> and Acuvue. The company also produces drugs to treat such
> conditions as cancer, ADHD, and rheumatoid arthritis.
> In 2012, the FDA approved Sirturo (bedaquiline) -- the
> first new medicine in the previous 40 years to fight *what
> infectious disease*?

malaria

> F2. In 1982, the pharmaceutical giant was forced to recall
> 31,000,000 bottles of Tylenol capsules after 7 individuals
> in the Chicago area died following ingesting pills that
> had been laced with *what toxic substance*?

cyanide

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Dan Tilque

Mar 27, 2016, 12:22:19 AM3/27/16
Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 6, Round 9 - Literature - European Literature
>
> Where a title is asked for, if the original work was not in English,
> you can give either the English or the original version.
>
> 1. "Swann's Way", "In the Shadow of Young Girls in Flower",
> "The Guermantes Way", "Sodom & Gomorrah", "The Prisoner", "The
> Fugitive", and "Time Regained". These are the 7 volumes of
> which early 20th century novel, one of the longest ever written?
>
> 2. In this, the first book of his Danzig Trilogy, Günter Grass
> tells the story of Oskar Matzerath, who decides to never grow up,
> living through World War II in the body of a child. The book
> is named for Oskar's prized possession, which has to be replaced
> several times over the course of the novel. Name the novel.

The Tin Drum

> 3. This author is best known in the West for his magnum opus about
> the First World War and its aftermath. The work was smuggled to
> Italy in 1957 for publication. He won the 1958 Nobel Prize for
> Literature, but was unable to leave his country to accept it.
> Name the author.

Solzhenitsyn ??
Samuel Johnson

> C2. Name this American writer, the winner of the 2013 Pulitzer
> Prize in Fiction for his novel "The Orphan Master's Son",
> which was described by New York Times critic Michiko Kakutani
> as "a daring and remarkable novel, a novel that not only
> opens a frightening window on the mysterious kingdom of
> North Korea but one that also excavates the very meaning
> of love and sacrifice."
>
> D. Johnsons who were President of the USA
>
> D1. Andrew Johnson, the 17th American President, served between
> two other more famous presidents, who were hugely significant
> figures in the US Civil War. Name *both* of these two men.

Abraham Lincoln and Ulysses S Grant

> D2. Please decode the rot13 only after you have finished with the
> previous question. Ylaqba O. Wbuafba nyfb svyyrq gur
> cbfvgvba sbyybjvat uvf cerqrprffbe'f nffnffvangvba.
> Sbyybjvat hc ba WSX'f jbex, YOW vagebqhprq n frg bs qbzrfgvp
> cbyvpvrf gung jrer vagraqrq gb ryvzvangr cbiregl naq enpvny
> vawhfgvpr. Anzr gur *gjb-jbeq grez* gung ur hfrq gb ersre gb
> guvf frg bs cbyvpvrf. Ur vagebqhprq vg ng na Buvb Havirefvgl
> fcrrpu ba 1964-05-22; vg rapbzcnffrq fhpu znwbe cvrprf bs
> yrtvfyngvba nf gur Pvivy Evtugf Npg naq Fbpvny Frphevgl Npg.

Great Society

> E. Johnsons who are (or were) Canadian
>
> E1. This Canadian poet, writer, and performer of Mohawk/English
> descent became famous in the last 1800s and early 1900s
> around the country with her dramatic talent, beauty, and
> stage presence -- as well as regularly publishing her works
> in periodicals such as the "Globe" and "Saturday Night".
> Selected publications include "The White Wampum" and
> "Legends of Vancouver". Name this lady Johnson.
>
> E2. Jamaican-born sprinter Ben Johnson exhilarated Canadians by
> setting a world record time in the 100 m dash at 9.79 seconds
> at the 1988 Summer Olympics. This record lasted all of
> 3 days, until Johnson was disqualified over steroid use.
> What city hosted this infamous race?

Seoul, South Korea

> F. Johnson & Johnson
>
> F1. Incorporated in 1887 by brothers Robert, James, and Edward,
> Johnson & Johnson has become a multinational healthcare
> company with such famous brands as Band-Aid, Neutrogena
> and Acuvue. The company also produces drugs to treat such
> conditions as cancer, ADHD, and rheumatoid arthritis.
> In 2012, the FDA approved Sirturo (bedaquiline) -- the
> first new medicine in the previous 40 years to fight *what
> infectious disease*?

malaria

> F2. In 1982, the pharmaceutical giant was forced to recall
> 31,000,000 bottles of Tylenol capsules after 7 individuals
> in the Chicago area died following ingesting pills that
> had been laced with *what toxic substance*?

cyanide

--
Dan Tilque

Marc Dashevsky

Mar 27, 2016, 4:29:00 AM3/27/16
In article <YqadnTN-upbN3mrL...@giganews.com>, m...@vex.net says...

> * Game 6, Round 9 - Literature - European Literature
>
> Where a title is asked for, if the original work was not in English,
> you can give either the English or the original version.
>
> 1. "Swann's Way", "In the Shadow of Young Girls in Flower",
> "The Guermantes Way", "Sodom & Gomorrah", "The Prisoner", "The
> Fugitive", and "Time Regained". These are the 7 volumes of
> which early 20th century novel, one of the longest ever written?
>
> 2. In this, the first book of his Danzig Trilogy, Günter Grass
> tells the story of Oskar Matzerath, who decides to never grow up,
> living through World War II in the body of a child. The book
> is named for Oskar's prized possession, which has to be replaced
> several times over the course of the novel. Name the novel.
The Tin Drum

> 3. This author is best known in the West for his magnum opus about
> the First World War and its aftermath. The work was smuggled to
> Italy in 1957 for publication. He won the 1958 Nobel Prize for
> Literature, but was unable to leave his country to accept it.
> Name the author.
Pasternak

> 4. This author's best-known work is "La condition humaine" ("Man's
> Fate"), a novel about a Communist uprising in Shanghai, which
> won the Prix Goncourt in 1933. During the presidency of
> Charles de Gaulle, he served as France's Minster of Culture.
> Name the author.
>
> 5. Although he had considerable success in his native Italy as
> a poet of the Decadent school, this man is best remembered today
> for seizing the city of Fiume in 1919 and declaring a short-lived
> republic which was a forerunner of Mussolini's Fascist movement.
> Name this poet, war hero, and Duce of Carnaro.
>
> 6. Major works by this author include "Siddhartha" and "The
> Glass Bead Game". He won the Nobel Prize for Literature in 1946.
> However, his best-known work is the one we referenced in our
> Band Name Origins round in Game 3. Name the author.
Hesse

> 7. Set in the far future, this 1924 novel by Yevgeny Zamyatin tells
> the story of D-503, who struggles against the mechanistic society
> of the One State. Orwell started writing "Nineteen Eighty-Four"
> a few months after reviewing the book. What is the 2-letter
> title of this influential dystopian novel?
We

> 8. This Algerian-born existentialist writer wrote numerous works
> of non-fiction, including "The Myth of Sisyphus" and "The Rebel".
> However, he is best-known for a 1942 novel in which Meursault
> fails to cry at his mother's funeral and kills an Arab on the
> beach. Name either the Nobel-prizewinning author or that novel.
Camus

> 9. This man is the author of numerous works in Czech, such as
> "The Joke and Life is Elsewhere". His best-known work was
> first published in French in 1984, and involves a bowler hat
> and a love triangle, in Prague in the late 1960s. The book
> was adapted (loosely) into a 1988 movie starring Jeremy Irons,
> Juliette Binoche, and Lena Olin. Name either the Czech author
> or that novel.
[Was Jeremy Irons in] The Unbearable Lightness of Being?

> 10. In this 1946 novel, the best-known work of Nikos Kazantzakis,
> the narrator is taught to appreciate love and life by the title
> character, a flamboyant older man. The 1964 movie adaptation
> received 7 Academy Award nominations, including one for Anthony
> Quinn as the title character. Name the novel.
Zorba The Greek

> * Game 6, Round 10 - Challenge Round - Johnsons
>
> Staring dejectedly at the QM and mumbling "Johnson" as an answer
> won't be good enough on this roudn! All answers (where applicable)
> will require the full name to be acceptable.
>

> C. Johnsons who Write (or Wrote)
>
> C1. This accomplished English writer, poet, biographer, essayist,
> literary critic, editor, and lexicographer born in 1709 is
> one of the most significant literary figures in history, but
> is perhaps even more famous as the subject of a biography
> by James Boswell that is widely considered the greatest
> English-language biography ever. Name this Johnson.
Samuel

> C2. Name this American writer, the winner of the 2013 Pulitzer
> Prize in Fiction for his novel "The Orphan Master's Son",
> which was described by New York Times critic Michiko Kakutani
> as "a daring and remarkable novel, a novel that not only
> opens a frightening window on the mysterious kingdom of
> North Korea but one that also excavates the very meaning
> of love and sacrifice."
>
> D. Johnsons who were President of the USA
>
> D1. Andrew Johnson, the 17th American President, served between
> two other more famous presidents, who were hugely significant
> figures in the US Civil War. Name *both* of these two men.
Abraham Lincoln and Ulysses Grant

> D2. Please decode the rot13 only after you have finished with the
> previous question. Ylaqba O. Wbuafba nyfb svyyrq gur
> cbfvgvba sbyybjvat uvf cerqrprffbe'f nffnffvangvba.
> Sbyybjvat hc ba WSX'f jbex, YOW vagebqhprq n frg bs qbzrfgvp
> cbyvpvrf gung jrer vagraqrq gb ryvzvangr cbiregl naq enpvny
> vawhfgvpr. Anzr gur *gjb-jbeq grez* gung ur hfrq gb ersre gb
> guvf frg bs cbyvpvrf. Ur vagebqhprq vg ng na Buvb Havirefvgl
> fcrrpu ba 1964-05-22; vg rapbzcnffrq fhpu znwbe cvrprf bs
> yrtvfyngvba nf gur Pvivy Evtugf Npg naq Fbpvny Frphevgl Npg.
Great Society

> F. Johnson & Johnson
>
> F1. Incorporated in 1887 by brothers Robert, James, and Edward,
> Johnson & Johnson has become a multinational healthcare
> company with such famous brands as Band-Aid, Neutrogena
> and Acuvue. The company also produces drugs to treat such
> conditions as cancer, ADHD, and rheumatoid arthritis.
> In 2012, the FDA approved Sirturo (bedaquiline) -- the
> first new medicine in the previous 40 years to fight *what
> infectious disease*?
>
> F2. In 1982, the pharmaceutical giant was forced to recall
> 31,000,000 bottles of Tylenol capsules after 7 individuals
> in the Chicago area died following ingesting pills that
> had been laced with *what toxic substance*?
cyanide

Erland Sommarskog

Mar 27, 2016, 6:14:05 AM3/27/16
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> 1. "Swann's Way", "In the Shadow of Young Girls in Flower",
> "The Guermantes Way", "Sodom & Gomorrah", "The Prisoner", "The
> Fugitive", and "Time Regained". These are the 7 volumes of
> which early 20th century novel, one of the longest ever written?

Ulyssues

> 3. This author is best known in the West for his magnum opus about
> the First World War and its aftermath. The work was smuggled to
> Italy in 1957 for publication. He won the 1958 Nobel Prize for
> Literature, but was unable to leave his country to accept it.
> Name the author.

Palsternak

> 9. This man is the author of numerous works in Czech, such as
> "The Joke and Life is Elsewhere". His best-known work was
> first published in French in 1984, and involves a bowler hat
> and a love triangle, in Prague in the late 1960s. The book
> was adapted (loosely) into a 1988 movie starring Jeremy Irons,
> Juliette Binoche, and Lena Olin. Name either the Czech author
> or that novel.

Milan Kundera

And I have sit through thst film, sigh.

> * Game 6, Round 10 - Challenge Round - Johnsons

I suppose this round was dedicated to you?

> D1. Andrew Johnson, the 17th American President, served between
> two other more famous presidents, who were hugely significant
> figures in the US Civil War. Name *both* of these two men.

Lincoln of course. The other? Colerige?

> E2. Jamaican-born sprinter Ben Johnson exhilarated Canadians by
> setting a world record time in the 100 m dash at 9.79 seconds
> at the 1988 Summer Olympics. This record lasted all of
> 3 days, until Johnson was disqualified over steroid use.
> What city hosted this infamous race?

Seoul

> F. Johnson & Johnson
>
> F1. Incorporated in 1887 by brothers Robert, James, and Edward,
> Johnson & Johnson has become a multinational healthcare
> company with such famous brands as Band-Aid, Neutrogena
> and Acuvue. The company also produces drugs to treat such
> conditions as cancer, ADHD, and rheumatoid arthritis.
> In 2012, the FDA approved Sirturo (bedaquiline) -- the
> first new medicine in the previous 40 years to fight *what
> infectious disease*?

Malaria?

Peter Smyth

Mar 27, 2016, 7:47:42 AM3/27/16
Mark Brader wrote:

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2015-11-02,

> Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of the Bloor St. Irregulars,
> and are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
> have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
> see my 2015-08-18 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 6, Round 9 - Literature - European Literature
>
> Where a title is asked for, if the original work was not in English,
> you can give either the English or the original version.
>
> 1. "Swann's Way", "In the Shadow of Young Girls in Flower",
> "The Guermantes Way", "Sodom & Gomorrah", "The Prisoner", "The
> Fugitive", and "Time Regained". These are the 7 volumes of
> which early 20th century novel, one of the longest ever written?

A la recherche du temps perdu

> * Game 6, Round 10 - Challenge Round - Johnsons
>
> Staring dejectedly at the QM and mumbling "Johnson" as an answer
> won't be good enough on this roudn! All answers (where applicable)
> will require the full name to be acceptable.
>
> A. Johnsons who Play Golf
>
> A1. This American, who has had nine Top 10 major finishes since
> 2010, has been more in the news lately for his voluntary
> leave of absence in 2014 following an apparent positive
> drug test for cocaine -- as well as his association with
> Paulina Gretzky, his fiancee and mother to his son Tatum.
> Name the Johnson!

Dustin Johnson, Zach Johnson

> A2. This Iowa native has 28 professional wins since 1998; the two
> biggest are the 2007 Masters and, most recently, the 2015
> British Open title that he won in a 3-way playoff. Who is
> this Johnson?

Dustin Johnson, Zach Johnson

> B. Johnsons who Play Music
>
> B1. Name this Englishman, known for his distinctive raspy voice,
> who took over lead singer duties of AC/DC from Bon Scott,
> following Scott's untimely death in 1980. Which Johnson
> is it?

Brian Johnson

> B2. Son of famous surfer Jeff Johnson, this mellow Hawaiian has
> sold millions of records since his 2002 debut album
> "Brushfires and Fairytales", and is best known for the songs
> "Upside Down", "Better Together", and "Sitting, Waiting,
> Wishing". Name that Johnson!

David Johnson

> C. Johnsons who Write (or Wrote)
>
> C1. This accomplished English writer, poet, biographer, essayist,
> literary critic, editor, and lexicographer born in 1709 is
> one of the most significant literary figures in history, but
> is perhaps even more famous as the subject of a biography
> by James Boswell that is widely considered the greatest
> English-language biography ever. Name this Johnson.

Samuel Johnson

> C2. Name this American writer, the winner of the 2013 Pulitzer
> Prize in Fiction for his novel "The Orphan Master's Son",
> which was described by New York Times critic Michiko Kakutani
> as "a daring and remarkable novel, a novel that not only
> opens a frightening window on the mysterious kingdom of
> North Korea but one that also excavates the very meaning
> of love and sacrifice."

David Johnson

> D. Johnsons who were President of the USA
>
> D1. Andrew Johnson, the 17th American President, served between
> two other more famous presidents, who were hugely significant
> figures in the US Civil War. Name both of these two men.

Abraham Lincoln, Ulysses S Grant

> D2. Please decode the rot13 only after you have finished with the
> previous question. Lyndon B. Johnson also filled the
> position following his predecessor's assassination.
> Following up on JFK's work, LBJ introduced a set of domestic
> policies that were intended to eliminate poverty and racial
> injustice. Name the *two-word term* that he used to refer to
> this set of policies. He introduced it at an Ohio University
> speech on 1964-05-22; it encompassed such major pieces of
> legislation as the Civil Rights Act and Social Security Act.
>
> E. Johnsons who are (or were) Canadian
>
> E1. This Canadian poet, writer, and performer of Mohawk/English
> descent became famous in the last 1800s and early 1900s
> around the country with her dramatic talent, beauty, and
> stage presence -- as well as regularly publishing her works
> in periodicals such as the "Globe" and "Saturday Night".
> Selected publications include "The White Wampum" and
> "Legends of Vancouver". Name this lady Johnson.

Mary Johnson

> E2. Jamaican-born sprinter Ben Johnson exhilarated Canadians by
> setting a world record time in the 100 m dash at 9.79 seconds
> at the 1988 Summer Olympics. This record lasted all of
> 3 days, until Johnson was disqualified over steroid use.
> What city hosted this infamous race?

Seoul

> F. Johnson & Johnson
>
> F1. Incorporated in 1887 by brothers Robert, James, and Edward,
> Johnson & Johnson has become a multinational healthcare
> company with such famous brands as Band-Aid, Neutrogena
> and Acuvue. The company also produces drugs to treat such
> conditions as cancer, ADHD, and rheumatoid arthritis.
> In 2012, the FDA approved Sirturo (bedaquiline) -- the
> first new medicine in the previous 40 years to fight *what
> infectious disease*?

Malaria

> F2. In 1982, the pharmaceutical giant was forced to recall
> 31,000,000 bottles of Tylenol capsules after 7 individuals
> in the Chicago area died following ingesting pills that
> had been laced with *what toxic substance*?

Cyanide

Peter Smyth

swp

Mar 27, 2016, 2:43:40 PM3/27/16
On Saturday, March 26, 2016 at 10:20:01 PM UTC-4, Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2015-11-02,
> and should be interpreted accordingly.

noted

> * Game 6, Round 9 - Literature - European Literature
>
> Where a title is asked for, if the original work was not in English,
> you can give either the English or the original version.
>
> 1. "Swann's Way", "In the Shadow of Young Girls in Flower",
> "The Guermantes Way", "Sodom & Gomorrah", "The Prisoner", "The
> Fugitive", and "Time Regained". These are the 7 volumes of
> which early 20th century novel, one of the longest ever written?

in search of lost time

> 2. In this, the first book of his Danzig Trilogy, Günter Grass
> tells the story of Oskar Matzerath, who decides to never grow up,
> living through World War II in the body of a child. The book
> is named for Oskar's prized possession, which has to be replaced
> several times over the course of the novel. Name the novel.

the tin drum

> 3. This author is best known in the West for his magnum opus about
> the First World War and its aftermath. The work was smuggled to
> Italy in 1957 for publication. He won the 1958 Nobel Prize for
> Literature, but was unable to leave his country to accept it.
> Name the author.

boris pasternak

> 4. This author's best-known work is "La condition humaine" ("Man's
> Fate"), a novel about a Communist uprising in Shanghai, which
> won the Prix Goncourt in 1933. During the presidency of
> Charles de Gaulle, he served as France's Minster of Culture.
> Name the author.

andre malrow?

> 5. Although he had considerable success in his native Italy as
> a poet of the Decadent school, this man is best remembered today
> for seizing the city of Fiume in 1919 and declaring a short-lived
> republic which was a forerunner of Mussolini's Fascist movement.
> Name this poet, war hero, and Duce of Carnaro.

gabe nunzio (it's longer in italian)

> 6. Major works by this author include "Siddhartha" and "The
> Glass Bead Game". He won the Nobel Prize for Literature in 1946.
> However, his best-known work is the one we referenced in our
> Band Name Origins round in Game 3. Name the author.

hermann hesse

> 7. Set in the far future, this 1924 novel by Yevgeny Zamyatin tells
> the story of D-503, who struggles against the mechanistic society
> of the One State. Orwell started writing "Nineteen Eighty-Four"
> a few months after reviewing the book. What is the 2-letter
> title of this influential dystopian novel?

we

> 8. This Algerian-born existentialist writer wrote numerous works
> of non-fiction, including "The Myth of Sisyphus" and "The Rebel".
> However, he is best-known for a 1942 novel in which Meursault
> fails to cry at his mother's funeral and kills an Arab on the
> beach. Name either the Nobel-prizewinning author or that novel.

albert camus

> 9. This man is the author of numerous works in Czech, such as
> "The Joke and Life is Elsewhere". His best-known work was
> first published in French in 1984, and involves a bowler hat
> and a love triangle, in Prague in the late 1960s. The book
> was adapted (loosely) into a 1988 movie starring Jeremy Irons,
> Juliette Binoche, and Lena Olin. Name either the Czech author
> or that novel.

milan kundera

> 10. In this 1946 novel, the best-known work of Nikos Kazantzakis,
> the narrator is taught to appreciate love and life by the title
> character, a flamboyant older man. The 1964 movie adaptation
> received 7 Academy Award nominations, including one for Anthony
> Quinn as the title character. Name the novel.

zorba the greek

> * Game 6, Round 10 - Challenge Round - Johnsons
>
> Staring dejectedly at the QM and mumbling "Johnson" as an answer
> won't be good enough on this round! All answers (where applicable)
> will require the full name to be acceptable.
>
> A. Johnsons who Play Golf
>
> A1. This American, who has had nine Top 10 major finishes since
> 2010, has been more in the news lately for his voluntary
> leave of absence in 2014 following an apparent positive
> drug test for cocaine -- as well as his association with
> Paulina Gretzky, his fiancee and mother to his son Tatum.
> Name the Johnson!

dustin johnson

> A2. This Iowa native has 28 professional wins since 1998; the two
> biggest are the 2007 Masters and, most recently, the 2015
> British Open title that he won in a 3-way playoff. Who is
> this Johnson?

zach johnson

> B. Johnsons who Play Music
>
> B1. Name this Englishman, known for his distinctive raspy voice,
> who took over lead singer duties of AC/DC from Bon Scott,
> following Scott's untimely death in 1980. Which Johnson
> is it?

brian johnson (he's been in the news lately...)

> B2. Son of famous surfer Jeff Johnson, this mellow Hawaiian has
> sold millions of records since his 2002 debut album
> "Brushfires and Fairytales", and is best known for the songs
> "Upside Down", "Better Together", and "Sitting, Waiting,
> Wishing". Name that Johnson!

jack johnson

> C. Johnsons who Write (or Wrote)
>
> C1. This accomplished English writer, poet, biographer, essayist,
> literary critic, editor, and lexicographer born in 1709 is
> one of the most significant literary figures in history, but
> is perhaps even more famous as the subject of a biography
> by James Boswell that is widely considered the greatest
> English-language biography ever. Name this Johnson.

samuel johnson

> C2. Name this American writer, the winner of the 2013 Pulitzer
> Prize in Fiction for his novel "The Orphan Master's Son",
> which was described by New York Times critic Michiko Kakutani
> as "a daring and remarkable novel, a novel that not only
> opens a frightening window on the mysterious kingdom of
> North Korea but one that also excavates the very meaning
> of love and sacrifice."

adam johnson

> D. Johnsons who were President of the USA
>
> D1. Andrew Johnson, the 17th American President, served between
> two other more famous presidents, who were hugely significant
> figures in the US Civil War. Name *both* of these two men.

abe lincoln, u.s. grant

> D2. Please decode the rot13 only after you have finished with the
> previous question. Lyndon B. Johnson also filled the
> position following his predecessor's assassination.
> Following up on JFK's work, LBJ introduced a set of domestic
> policies that were intended to eliminate poverty and racial
> injustice. Name the *two-word term* that he used to refer to
> this set of policies. He introduced it at an Ohio University
> speech on 1964-05-22; it encompassed such major pieces of
> legislation as the Civil Rights Act and Social Security Act.

great society

> E. Johnsons who are (or were) Canadian
>
> E1. This Canadian poet, writer, and performer of Mohawk/English
> descent became famous in the last 1800s and early 1900s
> around the country with her dramatic talent, beauty, and
> stage presence -- as well as regularly publishing her works
> in periodicals such as the "Globe" and "Saturday Night".
> Selected publications include "The White Wampum" and
> "Legends of Vancouver". Name this lady Johnson.

jane Johnson

> E2. Jamaican-born sprinter Ben Johnson exhilarated Canadians by
> setting a world record time in the 100 m dash at 9.79 seconds
> at the 1988 Summer Olympics. This record lasted all of
> 3 days, until Johnson was disqualified over steroid use.
> What city hosted this infamous race?

calgary

> F. Johnson & Johnson
>
> F1. Incorporated in 1887 by brothers Robert, James, and Edward,
> Johnson & Johnson has become a multinational healthcare
> company with such famous brands as Band-Aid, Neutrogena
> and Acuvue. The company also produces drugs to treat such
> conditions as cancer, ADHD, and rheumatoid arthritis.
> In 2012, the FDA approved Sirturo (bedaquiline) -- the
> first new medicine in the previous 40 years to fight *what
> infectious disease*?

tuberculosis

> F2. In 1982, the pharmaceutical giant was forced to recall
> 31,000,000 bottles of Tylenol capsules after 7 individuals
> in the Chicago area died following ingesting pills that
> had been laced with *what toxic substance*?

potassium cyanide

swp

Mark Brader

Mar 27, 2016, 2:59:48 PM3/27/16
Erland Sommarskog:
> And I have sit through thst film, sigh.

Sexiest movie with an artsy title that I've ever seen.
--
Mark Brader | "I do have an idea ... based on the quite obvious fact
Toronto | that the number two is ridiculous and can't exist."

Pete

Mar 27, 2016, 11:13:55 PM3/27/16
> [...]

> the narrator is taught to appreciate love and life by the title
> character, a flamboyant older man. The 1964 movie adaptation
> received 7 Academy Award nominations, including one for Anthony
> Quinn as the title character. Name the novel.

Zorba the Greek

> * Game 6, Round 10 - Challenge Round - Johnsons
>
> Staring dejectedly at the QM and mumbling "Johnson" as an answer
> won't be good enough on this roudn! All answers (where applicable)
> will require the full name to be acceptable.
>
> A. Johnsons who Play Golf
>
> A1. This American, who has had nine Top 10 major finishes since
> 2010, has been more in the news lately for his voluntary
> leave of absence in 2014 following an apparent positive
> drug test for cocaine -- as well as his association with
> Paulina Gretzky, his fiancee and mother to his son Tatum.

Zach; Dustin

> A2. This Iowa native has 28 professional wins since 1998; the two
> biggest are the 2007 Masters and, most recently, the 2015
> British Open title that he won in a 3-way playoff. Who is
> this Johnson?

Dustin; Zach
Abraham Lincoln and U.S. Grant

> D2. Please decode the rot13 only after you have finished with the
> previous question. Ylaqba O. Wbuafba nyfb svyyrq gur
> cbfvgvba sbyybjvat uvf cerqrprffbe'f nffnffvangvba.
> Sbyybjvat hc ba WSX'f jbex, YOW vagebqhprq n frg bs qbzrfgvp
> cbyvpvrf gung jrer vagraqrq gb ryvzvangr cbiregl naq enpvny
> vawhfgvpr. Anzr gur *gjb-jbeq grez* gung ur hfrq gb ersre gb
> guvf frg bs cbyvpvrf. Ur vagebqhprq vg ng na Buvb Havirefvgl
> fcrrpu ba 1964-05-22; vg rapbzcnffrq fhpu znwbe cvrprf bs
> yrtvfyngvba nf gur Pvivy Evtugf Npg naq Fbpvny Frphevgl Npg.

Great Society

> E. Johnsons who are (or were) Canadian
>
> E1. This Canadian poet, writer, and performer of Mohawk/English
> descent became famous in the last 1800s and early 1900s
> around the country with her dramatic talent, beauty, and
> stage presence -- as well as regularly publishing her works
> in periodicals such as the "Globe" and "Saturday Night".
> Selected publications include "The White Wampum" and
> "Legends of Vancouver". Name this lady Johnson.
>
> E2. Jamaican-born sprinter Ben Johnson exhilarated Canadians by
> setting a world record time in the 100 m dash at 9.79 seconds
> at the 1988 Summer Olympics. This record lasted all of
> 3 days, until Johnson was disqualified over steroid use.
> What city hosted this infamous race?

Seoul

> F. Johnson & Johnson
>
> F1. Incorporated in 1887 by brothers Robert, James, and Edward,
> Johnson & Johnson has become a multinational healthcare
> company with such famous brands as Band-Aid, Neutrogena
> and Acuvue. The company also produces drugs to treat such
> conditions as cancer, ADHD, and rheumatoid arthritis.
> In 2012, the FDA approved Sirturo (bedaquiline) -- the
> first new medicine in the previous 40 years to fight *what
> infectious disease*?

Malaria

> F2. In 1982, the pharmaceutical giant was forced to recall
> 31,000,000 bottles of Tylenol capsules after 7 individuals
> in the Chicago area died following ingesting pills that
> had been laced with *what toxic substance*?

Arsenic

Pete Gayde

Björn Lundin

Mar 28, 2016, 3:35:26 PM3/28/16
On 2016-03-27 04:20, Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2015-11-02,

> Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of the Bloor St. Irregulars,
> and are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
> have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
> see my 2015-08-18 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 6, Round 9 - Literature - European Literature
>
> Where a title is asked for, if the original work was not in English,
> you can give either the English or the original version.
>

> 2. In this, the first book of his Danzig Trilogy, Günter Grass
> tells the story of Oskar Matzerath, who decides to never grow up,
> living through World War II in the body of a child. The book
> is named for Oskar's prized possession, which has to be replaced
> several times over the course of the novel. Name the novel.

Die Blechtrommel

> 3. This author is best known in the West for his magnum opus about
> the First World War and its aftermath. The work was smuggled to
> Italy in 1957 for publication. He won the 1958 Nobel Prize for
> Literature, but was unable to leave his country to accept it.
> Name the author.

Solchenitzyn?

> 9. This man is the author of numerous works in Czech, such as
> "The Joke and Life is Elsewhere". His best-known work was
> first published in French in 1984, and involves a bowler hat
> and a love triangle, in Prague in the late 1960s. The book
> was adapted (loosely) into a 1988 movie starring Jeremy Irons,
> Juliette Binoche, and Lena Olin. Name either the Czech author
> or that novel.

hmm, Varats olidliga lätthet.
Must translate to something like:
The unbearable ease of being ?

> * Game 6, Round 10 - Challenge Round - Johnsons
>
> Staring dejectedly at the QM and mumbling "Johnson" as an answer
> won't be good enough on this roudn! All answers (where applicable)
> will require the full name to be acceptable.
>
> A. Johnsons who Play Golf
>
> A1. This American, who has had nine Top 10 major finishes since
> 2010, has been more in the news lately for his voluntary
> leave of absence in 2014 following an apparent positive
> drug test for cocaine -- as well as his association with
> Paulina Gretzky, his fiancee and mother to his son Tatum.
> Name the Johnson!

Don Johnson (or was that Miami vice )

> B. Johnsons who Play Music
>
> B1. Name this Englishman, known for his distinctive raspy voice,
> who took over lead singer duties of AC/DC from Bon Scott,
> following Scott's untimely death in 1980. Which Johnson
> is it?

Brian Johnson

> D. Johnsons who were President of the USA
>
> D1. Andrew Johnson, the 17th American President, served between
> two other more famous presidents, who were hugely significant
> figures in the US Civil War. Name *both* of these two men.

? and Abraham Lincoln

> E2. Jamaican-born sprinter Ben Johnson exhilarated Canadians by
> setting a world record time in the 100 m dash at 9.79 seconds
> at the 1988 Summer Olympics. This record lasted all of
> 3 days, until Johnson was disqualified over steroid use.
> What city hosted this infamous race?

Seoul, South Korea

> F. Johnson & Johnson
>
> F1. Incorporated in 1887 by brothers Robert, James, and Edward,
> Johnson & Johnson has become a multinational healthcare
> company with such famous brands as Band-Aid, Neutrogena
> and Acuvue. The company also produces drugs to treat such
> conditions as cancer, ADHD, and rheumatoid arthritis.
> In 2012, the FDA approved Sirturo (bedaquiline) -- the
> first new medicine in the previous 40 years to fight *what
> infectious disease*?

Malaria ?

Björn

Calvin

Mar 28, 2016, 6:44:12 PM3/28/16
On Sunday, March 27, 2016 at 12:20:01 PM UTC+10, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 6, Round 9 - Literature - European Literature
>
> Where a title is asked for, if the original work was not in English,
> you can give either the English or the original version.
>
> 1. "Swann's Way", "In the Shadow of Young Girls in Flower",
> "The Guermantes Way", "Sodom & Gomorrah", "The Prisoner", "The
> Fugitive", and "Time Regained". These are the 7 volumes of
> which early 20th century novel, one of the longest ever written?

Remembrance of Times Past

> 2. In this, the first book of his Danzig Trilogy, Günter Grass
> tells the story of Oskar Matzerath, who decides to never grow up,
> living through World War II in the body of a child. The book
> is named for Oskar's prized possession, which has to be replaced
> several times over the course of the novel. Name the novel.
>
> 3. This author is best known in the West for his magnum opus about
> the First World War and its aftermath. The work was smuggled to
> Italy in 1957 for publication. He won the 1958 Nobel Prize for
> Literature, but was unable to leave his country to accept it.
> Name the author.

Remarque
Zorba the Greek

> * Game 6, Round 10 - Challenge Round - Johnsons
>
> Staring dejectedly at the QM and mumbling "Johnson" as an answer
> won't be good enough on this roudn! All answers (where applicable)
> will require the full name to be acceptable.
>
> A. Johnsons who Play Golf
>
> A1. This American, who has had nine Top 10 major finishes since
> 2010, has been more in the news lately for his voluntary
> leave of absence in 2014 following an apparent positive
> drug test for cocaine -- as well as his association with
> Paulina Gretzky, his fiancee and mother to his son Tatum.
> Name the Johnson!

Zac Johnson

> A2. This Iowa native has 28 professional wins since 1998; the two
> biggest are the 2007 Masters and, most recently, the 2015
> British Open title that he won in a 3-way playoff. Who is
> this Johnson?

Zac Johnson

> B. Johnsons who Play Music
>
> B1. Name this Englishman, known for his distinctive raspy voice,
> who took over lead singer duties of AC/DC from Bon Scott,
> following Scott's untimely death in 1980. Which Johnson
> is it?

Brian Johnson

> [...]

> Selected publications include "The White Wampum" and
> "Legends of Vancouver". Name this lady Johnson.
>
> E2. Jamaican-born sprinter Ben Johnson exhilarated Canadians by
> setting a world record time in the 100 m dash at 9.79 seconds
> at the 1988 Summer Olympics. This record lasted all of
> 3 days, until Johnson was disqualified over steroid use.
> What city hosted this infamous race?

Seoul

> F. Johnson & Johnson
>
> F1. Incorporated in 1887 by brothers Robert, James, and Edward,
> Johnson & Johnson has become a multinational healthcare
> company with such famous brands as Band-Aid, Neutrogena
> and Acuvue. The company also produces drugs to treat such
> conditions as cancer, ADHD, and rheumatoid arthritis.
> In 2012, the FDA approved Sirturo (bedaquiline) -- the
> first new medicine in the previous 40 years to fight *what

Measles, Mumps

> F2. In 1982, the pharmaceutical giant was forced to recall
> 31,000,000 bottles of Tylenol capsules after 7 individuals
> in the Chicago area died following ingesting pills that
> had been laced with *what toxic substance*?

Arsenic, Cyanide

cheers,
calvin johnson

Mark Brader

Mar 30, 2016, 2:46:45 AM3/30/16
Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2015-11-02,
> see my 2015-08-18 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

Game 6 is over and the winner is STEPHEN PERRY. Well done!

> * Game 6, Round 9 - Literature - European Literature

> Where a title is asked for, if the original work was not in English,
> you can give either the English or the original version.

> 1. "Swann's Way", "In the Shadow of Young Girls in Flower",
> "The Guermantes Way", "Sodom & Gomorrah", "The Prisoner", "The
> Fugitive", and "Time Regained". These are the 7 volumes of
> which early 20th century novel, one of the longest ever written?

"À la recherche du temps perdu" ("In Search of Lost Time" or
"Remembrance of Things Past"). 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, Peter,
and Stephen. 3 for Calvin.

> 2. In this, the first book of his Danzig Trilogy, Günter Grass
> tells the story of Oskar Matzerath, who decides to never grow up,
> living through World War II in the body of a child. The book
> is named for Oskar's prized possession, which has to be replaced
> several times over the course of the novel. Name the novel.

"Die Blechtrommel" ("The Tin Drum"). 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum,
Dan Tilque, Marc, Stephen, and Björn.

> 3. This author is best known in the West for his magnum opus about
> the First World War and its aftermath. The work was smuggled to
> Italy in 1957 for publication. He won the 1958 Nobel Prize for
> Literature, but was unable to leave his country to accept it.
> Name the author.

Boris Leonidovich Pasternak. ("Dr. Zhivago".) 4 for Joshua, Marc,
Erland, Stephen, and Pete.

> 4. This author's best-known work is "La condition humaine" ("Man's
> Fate"), a novel about a Communist uprising in Shanghai, which
> won the Prix Goncourt in 1933. During the presidency of
> Charles de Gaulle, he served as France's Minster of Culture.
> Name the author.

André Malraux. I accepted "Andre Malrow", as it might be pronounced
the same way. 4 for Joshua and Stephen.

> 5. Although he had considerable success in his native Italy as
> a poet of the Decadent school, this man is best remembered today
> for seizing the city of Fiume in 1919 and declaring a short-lived
> republic which was a forerunner of Mussolini's Fascist movement.
> Name this poet, war hero, and Duce of Carnaro.

Gabriele d'Annunzio. I scored "Gabe Nunzio" as almost correct.
4 for Dan Blum. 3 for Stephen.

> 6. Major works by this author include "Siddhartha" and "The
> Glass Bead Game". He won the Nobel Prize for Literature in 1946.
> However, his best-known work is the one we referenced in our
> Band Name Origins round in Game 3. Name the author.

Herman Hesse. ("Steppenwolf".) 4 for Joshua, Jason, Dan Blum,
Marc, Stephen, and Pete.

> 7. Set in the far future, this 1924 novel by Yevgeny Zamyatin tells
> the story of D-503, who struggles against the mechanistic society
> of the One State. Orwell started writing "Nineteen Eighty-Four"
> a few months after reviewing the book. What is the 2-letter
> title of this influential dystopian novel?

"My" ("We"). 4 for Joshua, Jason, Dan Blum, Marc, and Stephen.

> 8. This Algerian-born existentialist writer wrote numerous works
> of non-fiction, including "The Myth of Sisyphus" and "The Rebel".
> However, he is best-known for a 1942 novel in which Meursault
> fails to cry at his mother's funeral and kills an Arab on the
> beach. Name either the Nobel-prizewinning author or that novel.

Albert Camus, "L'Étranger" ("The Stranger" or "The Outsider").
4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, Marc, and Stephen.

> 9. This man is the author of numerous works in Czech, such as
> "The Joke and Life is Elsewhere". His best-known work was
> first published in French in 1984, and involves a bowler hat
> and a love triangle, in Prague in the late 1960s. The book
> was adapted (loosely) into a 1988 movie starring Jeremy Irons,
> Juliette Binoche, and Lena Olin. Name either the Czech author
> or that novel.

Milan Kundera, "Nesnesitelná lehkost bytí" ("The Unbearable Lightness
of Being"). 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, Marc, Erland, and Stephen.
3 for Björn.

("Jeremy Irons"? Would you believe Daniel Day-Lewis? Sorry about
that, chiefs.)

> 10. In this 1946 novel, the best-known work of Nikos Kazantzakis,
> the narrator is taught to appreciate love and life by the title
> character, a flamboyant older man. The 1964 movie adaptation
> received 7 Academy Award nominations, including one for Anthony
> Quinn as the title character. Name the novel.

"Vios ke Politia tou Alexi Zorba" ("Zorba the Greek"). 4 for Joshua,
Jason, Dan Blum, Marc, Stephen, Pete, and Calvin.

> * Game 6, Round 10 - Challenge Round - Johnsons

> Staring dejectedly at the QM and mumbling "Johnson" as an answer
> won't be good enough on this roudn! All answers (where applicable)
> will require the full name to be acceptable.

> A. Johnsons who Play Golf

> A1. This American, who has had nine Top 10 major finishes since
> 2010, has been more in the news lately for his voluntary
> leave of absence in 2014 following an apparent positive
> drug test for cocaine -- as well as his association with
> Paulina Gretzky, his fiancee and mother to his son Tatum.
> Name the Johnson!

Dustin Johnson. 4 for Joshua and Stephen. 3 for Peter. 2 for Pete.

> A2. This Iowa native has 28 professional wins since 1998; the two
> biggest are the 2007 Masters and, most recently, the 2015
> British Open title that he won in a 3-way playoff. Who is
> this Johnson?

Zach Johnson. 4 for Stephen and Calvin. 2 for Peter and Pete.

> B. Johnsons who Play Music

> B1. Name this Englishman, known for his distinctive raspy voice,
> who took over lead singer duties of AC/DC from Bon Scott,
> following Scott's untimely death in 1980. Which Johnson
> is it?

Brian Johnson. 4 for Joshua, Jason, Peter, Stephen, Björn,
and Calvin.

> B2. Son of famous surfer Jeff Johnson, this mellow Hawaiian has
> sold millions of records since his 2002 debut album
> "Brushfires and Fairytales", and is best known for the songs
> "Upside Down", "Better Together", and "Sitting, Waiting,
> Wishing". Name that Johnson!

Jack Johnson. 4 for Joshua and Stephen.

> C. Johnsons who Write (or Wrote)

> C1. This accomplished English writer, poet, biographer, essayist,
> literary critic, editor, and lexicographer born in 1709 is
> one of the most significant literary figures in history, but
> is perhaps even more famous as the subject of a biography
> by James Boswell that is widely considered the greatest
> English-language biography ever. Name this Johnson.

Samuel Johnson. 4 for Joshua, Jason, Dan Blum, Dan Tilque, Marc,
Peter, Stephen, and Calvin.

> C2. Name this American writer, the winner of the 2013 Pulitzer
> Prize in Fiction for his novel "The Orphan Master's Son",
> which was described by New York Times critic Michiko Kakutani
> as "a daring and remarkable novel, a novel that not only
> opens a frightening window on the mysterious kingdom of
> North Korea but one that also excavates the very meaning
> of love and sacrifice."

Adam Johnson. 4 for Stephen.

> D. Johnsons who were President of the USA

> D1. Andrew Johnson, the 17th American President, served between
> two other more famous presidents, who were hugely significant
> figures in the US Civil War. Name *both* of these two men.

Abraham Lincoln, Ulysses S. Grant. The surnames were sufficient for
this one. 4 for Joshua, Jason, Dan Blum, Dan Tilque, Marc, Peter,
Stephen, Pete, and Calvin.

> D2. Please decode the rot13 only after you have finished with the
> previous question. Lyndon B. Johnson also filled the
> position following his predecessor's assassination.
> Following up on JFK's work, LBJ introduced a set of domestic
> policies that were intended to eliminate poverty and racial
> injustice. Name the *two-word term* that he used to refer to
> this set of policies. He introduced it at an Ohio University
> speech on 1964-05-22; it encompassed such major pieces of
> legislation as the Civil Rights Act and Social Security Act.

Great Society. 4 for Joshua, Jason, Dan Blum, Dan Tilque, Marc,
Stephen, and Pete.

> E. Johnsons who are (or were) Canadian

> E1. This Canadian poet, writer, and performer of Mohawk/English
> descent became famous in the last 1800s and early 1900s
> around the country with her dramatic talent, beauty, and
> stage presence -- as well as regularly publishing her works
> in periodicals such as the "Globe" and "Saturday Night".
> Selected publications include "The White Wampum" and
> "Legends of Vancouver". Name this lady Johnson.

(Emily) Pauline Johnson.

> E2. Jamaican-born sprinter Ben Johnson exhilarated Canadians by
> setting a world record time in the 100 m dash at 9.79 seconds
> at the 1988 Summer Olympics. This record lasted all of
> 3 days, until Johnson was disqualified over steroid use.
> What city hosted this infamous race?

Seoul. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, Dan Tilque, Erland, Peter, Pete,
Björn, and Calvin.

> F. Johnson & Johnson

> F1. Incorporated in 1887 by brothers Robert, James, and Edward,
> Johnson & Johnson has become a multinational healthcare
> company with such famous brands as Band-Aid, Neutrogena
> and Acuvue. The company also produces drugs to treat such
> conditions as cancer, ADHD, and rheumatoid arthritis.
> In 2012, the FDA approved Sirturo (bedaquiline) -- the
> first new medicine in the previous 40 years to fight *what
> infectious disease*?

Tuberculosis. 4 for Stephen.

> F2. In 1982, the pharmaceutical giant was forced to recall
> 31,000,000 bottles of Tylenol capsules after 7 individuals
> in the Chicago area died following ingesting pills that
> had been laced with *what toxic substance*?

(Potassium) cyanide. 4 for Joshua, Jason, Dan Blum, Dan Tilque,
Marc, Peter, and Stephen. 2 for Calvin.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 6 ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 BEST
TOPICS-> Can Geo Sci Aud Mis Spo Ent Lit Cha SEVEN
Stephen Perry 6 40 40 32 40 28 40 39 40 271
Joshua Kreitzer 0 24 35 32 12 23 36 36 32 218
Dan Blum 0 24 36 12 20 0 27 32 20 171
Marc Dashevsky 0 20 32 24 8 8 24 28 16 152
"Calvin" 0 16 32 28 12 0 20 7 22 137
Pete Gayde 0 28 0 16 10 36 18 12 16 136
Peter Smyth -- -- 40 28 0 0 12 4 25 109
Bruce Bowler 0 28 36 24 16 -- -- -- -- 104
Dan Tilque 4 12 32 4 20 4 4 4 20 96
Jason Kreitzer -- -- 0 20 4 0 32 12 20 88
Erland Sommarskog 0 16 20 8 16 8 0 8 4 80
Björn Lundin 0 12 32 0 12 0 4 7 8 75

--
Mark Brader | You obviously aren't aware of the new definition for "all".
Toronto | Do try to keep up.