RQFTCI07 Game 3 Rounds 7-8: EuroSigns, CanNewscasters

Mark Brader

Jul 23, 2020, 11:56:16 PM7/23/20
These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2007-02-05,
and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
by members of the Usual Suspects, but have been reformatted and
may have been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the
correct answers in about 3 days.

For further information see my 2020-06-23 companion posting on
"Reposted Questions from the Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

In some cases either the answers or the facts stated as current
in the question have changed since the question was written.
I've tried to call attention to such possibilities by inserting
*tripled quotation marks* around words that were correct at the time
of the original game -- for example, """now""" or """is""" (pretty
much any present-tense verb may be marked). I will always accept
the answer that was correct when the question was originally asked.
If the facts have changed in such a way that a different answer is
now correct (rather than some other sort of change), I will also
accept the new correct answer -- unless there is an explicit note
requiring otherwise. See the companion posting for further details.

This set is going to be rough for a lot of you, I think.

I originally wrote one of these rounds.

* Game 3, Round 7 - Geography - European Highway Signs

Please see the handout at: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/3/euro.png

Two warnings: first, answers may repeat. Second, some signs are
shown in British versions for traffic driving on the left, some in
continental European versions for driving on the right.

1. Sign D may appear with either a solid black slash or a striped
version as shown here. It has one meaning that """is""" found
only in Germany and a related meaning in other countries.
Give *both* meanings.

2. Sign A also has two meanings, related to each other, used in
different countries. Give *both*.

3. Explain sign H, seen on freeways.

4. In countries that use it, such as France and Germany, what does
sign K mean?

5. In France what does it mean if you see "RAPPEL" under a speed
limit sign?

6. In Canada a flashing green traffic light """has""" two meanings
in different provinces. A third meaning """occurs""" in Austria,
Russia, and some other countries. What is that?

7. Sign S does not show a pair of hammers, but that's what some
people thought it looked like, when it was introduced in Britain
in the 1960s. Eventually the design was withdrawn as being
too confusing. But you can figure it out, so you tell us:
which other sign on the handout """is now""" used with the same
meaning intended for S?

8. Sign J mentions a specific town, Champeix, but in countries such
as France and Germany it also has a general meaning that would
be the same no matter what place was mentioned. What's that?

9. What is sign C?

10. And to finish the round with appropriate punctuation, what is
sign T?

11. The other signs on the handout were decoys, of course --
identify them if you like for fun, but for no points.
Please answer for each one on a separate line.

* Game 3, Round 8 - Canadiana - Local TV newscasters

Please see the handout at: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/3/tv.pdf

These people """are""" TV newscasters or others involved in
news-related programming, who """appear""" on programs whose
intended audience is Ontario or sometimes just the greater
Toronto area. Some of them """may""" occasionally appear on
national programs. We'll give you a number on the handout, and
the broadcaster the person """currently""" works for, and you tell
us the person's name. Media concentration being what it is, some
people """may""" also work for other outlets than the ones we name.

I've sorted the round in order of the handout, thus interspersing
the 11 decoys with the others. Answer for the decoys as well if
you like for fun, but for no points.

1. Citytv.
2. CFTO.
3. CBC.
4. Global.
5. Citytv (decoy)
6. Global.
7. Rogers (decoy)
8. Citytv (decoy)
9. CBC (decoy)
10. Global (decoy)
11. CFTO.
12. CBC (decoy)
13. The Weather Network.
14. Citytv.
15. CFTO.
16. Citytv (decoy)
17. CFTO (decoy)
18. Rogers.
19. Citytv (decoy)
20. CFTO (decoy)
21. Citytv (decoy)

--
Mark Brader, Toronto "Well, I'm back", he said.
m...@vex.net -- Tolkien (The Lord of the Rings)

Dan Blum

Jul 24, 2020, 12:15:12 AM7/24/20
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 3, Round 7 - Geography - European Highway Signs

> 2. Sign A also has two meanings, related to each other, used in
> different countries. Give *both*.

maximum speed limit and minimum speed limit

> 5. In France what does it mean if you see "RAPPEL" under a speed
> limit sign?

it is the minimum speed

> 7. Sign S does not show a pair of hammers, but that's what some
> people thought it looked like, when it was introduced in Britain
> in the 1960s. Eventually the design was withdrawn as being
> too confusing. But you can figure it out, so you tell us:
> which other sign on the handout """is now""" used with the same
> meaning intended for S?

> 8. Sign J mentions a specific town, Champeix, but in countries such
> as France and Germany it also has a general meaning that would
> be the same no matter what place was mentioned. What's that?

the exit to that place is closed

> 9. What is sign C?

do not enter

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Mark Brader

Jul 24, 2020, 12:17:49 AM7/24/20
Mark Brader:
> > which other sign on the handout """is now""" used with the same
> > meaning intended for S?

Dan Blum:

As this is the only one you got right, I'm curious what you thought
it might mean.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto, m...@vex.net | "Able was I ere I saw Panama."

Joshua Kreitzer

Jul 24, 2020, 1:04:51 AM7/24/20
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:rqydnVv5NJBGxofCnZ2dnUU7-
b_N...@giganews.com:

> * Game 3, Round 7 - Geography - European Highway Signs
>
> Please see the handout at: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/3/euro.png
>
> 2. Sign A also has two meanings, related to each other, used in
> different countries. Give *both*.

speed limit 60 miles per hour; speed limit 60 kilometers per hour

> 5. In France what does it mean if you see "RAPPEL" under a speed
> limit sign?

climb down a mountain

> 7. Sign S does not show a pair of hammers, but that's what some
> people thought it looked like, when it was introduced in Britain
> in the 1960s. Eventually the design was withdrawn as being
> too confusing. But you can figure it out, so you tell us:
> which other sign on the handout """is now""" used with the same
> meaning intended for S?

L; N

> 8. Sign J mentions a specific town, Champeix, but in countries such
> as France and Germany it also has a general meaning that would
> be the same no matter what place was mentioned. What's that?

you are now leaving the town whose name is struck out on the sign

> 9. What is sign C?

do not enter

> * Game 3, Round 8 - Canadiana - Local TV newscasters
>
> Please see the handout at: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/3/tv.pdf
>
> These people """are""" TV newscasters or others involved in
> news-related programming, who """appear""" on programs whose
> intended audience is Ontario or sometimes just the greater
> Toronto area. Some of them """may""" occasionally appear on
> national programs. We'll give you a number on the handout, and
> the broadcaster the person """currently""" works for, and you tell
> us the person's name.

If it makes you feel any better, I would probably struggle to recognize
photos of many of the TV newscasters in *my* local area, much less those
in a foreign country.

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

Erland Sommarskog

Jul 24, 2020, 4:29:00 AM7/24/20
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> This set is going to be rough for a lot of you, I think.

The second looks like something I will give a blind eye. The first one
looks a tad easier to me.

> * Game 3, Round 7 - Geography - European Highway Signs
>
> 1. Sign D may appear with either a solid black slash or a striped
> version as shown here. It has one meaning that """is""" found
> only in Germany and a related meaning in other countries.
> Give *both* meanings.

In Germany that means end of any speed limit - once you are past the
sign, you drive at any speed you like. In other countries, it means
that a lower temporary speed limit (due to village etc) finishes, and
we are now back to the standard speed limit for the road. (This sign
is no longer found in Sweden.)

> 2. Sign A also has two meanings, related to each other, used in
> different countries. Give *both*.

Maximum permitted speed. Not sure what a second meaning would be.

> 3. Explain sign H, seen on freeways.

Indication of that an exit is approaching. There will be two more signs,
one with two stripes and one with a single strip.

> 4. In countries that use it, such as France and Germany, what does
> sign K mean?

Main road, where you have right of way in all crossings (where there is
not a traffic light).

> 5. In France what does it mean if you see "RAPPEL" under a speed
> limit sign?

Reminder

> 7. Sign S does not show a pair of hammers, but that's what some
> people thought it looked like, when it was introduced in Britain
> in the 1960s. Eventually the design was withdrawn as being
> too confusing. But you can figure it out, so you tell us:
> which other sign on the handout """is now""" used with the same
> meaning intended for S?

> 8. Sign J mentions a specific town, Champeix, but in countries such
> as France and Germany it also has a general meaning that would
> be the same no matter what place was mentioned. What's that?

End of built-up area the regulations (such as speed limit) that goes with
it.

> 9. What is sign C?

Parking prohibited (but you may stop to load and unload).

> 10. And to finish the round with appropriate punctuation, what is
> sign T?

Miscenallenous danger, almost always goes with an additonal sign that
explains the issue, at least here in Sweden.

> 11. The other signs on the handout were decoys, of course --
> identify them if you like for fun, but for no points.
> Please answer for each one on a separate line.

B - Stopping prohibited
E - Overtaking prohibited
F - Roundabout
G - Very complex system of roundabouts with one dead end. If you drive
there, you lose. :-)
I - Direction sign.
L - Railway crossing wign signals and bars.
M - Traffic ligh.
N - Crossing with lesser roads.
O - Several dangerous curves, the first to the left.
P - Steep downhill.
Q - Bumby raod.
R - Narrowing road

Bruce Bowler

Jul 24, 2020, 8:09:50 AM7/24/20
On Thu, 23 Jul 2020 22:56:11 -0500, Mark Brader wrote:

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2007-02-05, and
> should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written by
> members of the Usual Suspects, but have been reformatted and may have
> been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the correct answers in
> about 3 days.
>
> For further information see my 2020-06-23 companion posting on "Reposted
> Questions from the Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".
>
> In some cases either the answers or the facts stated as current in the
> question have changed since the question was written.
> I've tried to call attention to such possibilities by inserting *tripled
> quotation marks* around words that were correct at the time of the
> original game -- for example, """now""" or """is""" (pretty much any
> present-tense verb may be marked). I will always accept the answer that
> was correct when the question was originally asked. If the facts have
> changed in such a way that a different answer is now correct (rather
> than some other sort of change), I will also accept the new correct
> answer -- unless there is an explicit note requiring otherwise. See the
> companion posting for further details.
>

> This set is going to be rough for a lot of you, I think.

Yup...

> I originally wrote one of these rounds.
>

> * Game 3, Round 7 - Geography - European Highway Signs
>
> Please see the handout at: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/3/euro.png
>
> Two warnings: first, answers may repeat. Second, some signs are shown
> in British versions for traffic driving on the left, some in continental
> European versions for driving on the right.
>
> 1. Sign D may appear with either a solid black slash or a striped
> version as shown here. It has one meaning that """is""" found only
> in Germany and a related meaning in other countries.
> Give *both* meanings.
>
> 2. Sign A also has two meanings, related to each other, used in
> different countries. Give *both*.

speed limit 60kph or 60mph

> 3. Explain sign H, seen on freeways.

lane ends, merge left; exit to the left;

> 4. In countries that use it, such as France and Germany, what does
> sign K mean?
>
> 5. In France what does it mean if you see "RAPPEL" under a speed
> limit sign?
>
> 6. In Canada a flashing green traffic light """has""" two meanings
> in different provinces. A third meaning """occurs""" in Austria,
> Russia, and some other countries. What is that?
>
> 7. Sign S does not show a pair of hammers, but that's what some
> people thought it looked like, when it was introduced in Britain in
> the 1960s. Eventually the design was withdrawn as being too
> confusing. But you can figure it out, so you tell us:
> which other sign on the handout """is now""" used with the same
> meaning intended for S?

> 8. Sign J mentions a specific town, Champeix, but in countries such
> as France and Germany it also has a general meaning that would be the
> same no matter what place was mentioned. What's that?
>
> 9. What is sign C?

no entry

> 10. And to finish the round with appropriate punctuation, what is
> sign T?
>
> 11. The other signs on the handout were decoys, of course --
> identify them if you like for fun, but for no points.
> Please answer for each one on a separate line.

E pass on right
F traffic circle/rotary
G the 1 o'clock exit on the Swindon circle is closed
I turn here to go to the secret nuclear bunker
L train tracks ahead
N side road
O windy road
P Steep grade
Q bumpy road
R road narrows
S RR crossing gates

> * Game 3, Round 8 - Canadiana - Local TV newscasters

nope.

Dan Blum

Jul 24, 2020, 9:15:44 AM7/24/20
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:
> Mark Brader:
> > > which other sign on the handout """is now""" used with the same
> > > meaning intended for S?
>
> Dan Blum:

> As this is the only one you got right, I'm curious what you thought
> it might mean.

Railroad crossing. The symbols on the S sign look like tie spikes.

Mark Brader

Jul 24, 2020, 11:37:28 AM7/24/20
Mark Brader:
> > As this is the only one you got right, I'm curious what you thought
> > it might mean.

Dan Blum:
> Railroad crossing. The symbols on the S sign look like tie spikes.

Huh. Right answer, wrong reason!
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "Domine, defende nos
m...@vex.net | Contra hos motores bos!" -- A. D. Godley

Dan Blum

Jul 24, 2020, 1:12:26 PM7/24/20
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:
> Mark Brader:
> > > As this is the only one you got right, I'm curious what you thought
> > > it might mean.
>
> Dan Blum:
> > Railroad crossing. The symbols on the S sign look like tie spikes.

> Huh. Right answer, wrong reason!

Then I really don't get it, and I am not surprised they replaced it.

Erland Sommarskog

Jul 24, 2020, 3:13:41 PM7/24/20
Dan Blum (to...@panix.com) writes:
> Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:
>> Mark Brader:
>>
>> Dan Blum:
>> > Railroad crossing. The symbols on the S sign look like tie spikes.
>
>> Huh. Right answer, wrong reason!
>
> Then I really don't get it, and I am not surprised they replaced it.

It took me a while, but eventually I realised they are supposed to be
the bars that come down as a train is approaching.

Dan Blum

Jul 24, 2020, 6:35:51 PM7/24/20
OK, sure. To me that is a classic example of a symbol I can only
recognize when I already know what it's supposed to be.

Mark Brader

Jul 24, 2020, 7:56:40 PM7/24/20
[Sign S on the handout]

Erland Sommarskog:
> > It took me a while, but eventually I realised they are supposed to be
> > the bars that come down as a train is approaching.

Dan Blum:
> OK, sure. To me that is a classic example of a symbol I can only
> recognize when I already know what it's supposed to be.

Whereas the replacement, sign L, will only be recognizable if you're
familiar with the way level crossings *used* to work in, say, England:
the gates were swung horizontally (by hand) and were across either the
road or the railway at all times, depending on whether or not a train
was either crossing or approaching. See:

http://c8.alamy.com/comp/DBC4R4/manually-operated-railway-level-crossing-at-cantley-norfolk-england-DBC4R4.jpg

(That particular one is still like that according to Google Street
View, but there aren't many left any more.)

--
Mark Brader Be there or be... hmmm. I can't pretend that a
Toronto six-hour seminar on trivia skills is exactly the

Pete Gayde

Jul 25, 2020, 12:10:08 AM7/25/20
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:rqydnVv5NJBGxofCnZ2dnUU7-
b_N...@giganews.com:

60 kph speed limit; 60 kph minimum speed

> 3. Explain sign H, seen on freeways.

No shoulder

> 4. In countries that use it, such as France and Germany, what does
> sign K mean?

Yield

> 5. In France what does it mean if you see "RAPPEL" under a speed
> limit sign?
>
> 6. In Canada a flashing green traffic light """has""" two meanings
> in different provinces. A third meaning """occurs""" in Austria,
> Russia, and some other countries. What is that?

Yield to crossing traffic

> 7. Sign S does not show a pair of hammers, but that's what some
> people thought it looked like, when it was introduced in Britain
> in the 1960s. Eventually the design was withdrawn as being
> too confusing. But you can figure it out, so you tell us:
> which other sign on the handout """is now""" used with the same
> meaning intended for S?
>
> 8. Sign J mentions a specific town, Champeix, but in countries such
> as France and Germany it also has a general meaning that would
> be the same no matter what place was mentioned. What's that?

You are leaving the town named on the sign

> 9. What is sign C?

Lane ending soon

> 10. And to finish the round with appropriate punctuation, what is
> sign T?

Hazard ahead

> 11. The other signs on the handout were decoys, of course --
> identify them if you like for fun, but for no points.
> Please answer for each one on a separate line.

Pete Gayde

swp

Jul 25, 2020, 12:14:26 AM7/25/20
On Thursday, July 23, 2020 at 11:56:16 PM UTC-4, Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2007-02-05,
> and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
> by members of the Usual Suspects, but have been reformatted and
> may have been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the
> correct answers in about 3 days.

noted

> For further information see my 2020-06-23 companion posting on
> "Reposted Questions from the Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".
>
> In some cases either the answers or the facts stated as current
> in the question have changed since the question was written.
> I've tried to call attention to such possibilities by inserting
> *tripled quotation marks* around words that were correct at the time
> of the original game -- for example, """now""" or """is""" (pretty
> much any present-tense verb may be marked). I will always accept
> the answer that was correct when the question was originally asked.
> If the facts have changed in such a way that a different answer is
> now correct (rather than some other sort of change), I will also
> accept the new correct answer -- unless there is an explicit note
> requiring otherwise. See the companion posting for further details.
>

> This set is going to be rough for a lot of you, I think.

noted

> I originally wrote one of these rounds.

and the sign said "everybody welcome, come in, kneel down and pray"
but when they passed around the plate at the end of it all
I didn't have a penny to pay
so I got me a pen and a paper and I made up my own little sign
I said, "thank you, Lord, for thinkin' 'bout me I'm alive and doin' fine"
whoa! Signs, signs, everywhere a sign
blockin' out the scenery, breakin' my mind
do this, don't do that, can't you read the sign?

> * Game 3, Round 7 - Geography - European Highway Signs
>
> Please see the handout at: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/3/euro.png
>
> Two warnings: first, answers may repeat. Second, some signs are
> shown in British versions for traffic driving on the left, some in
> continental European versions for driving on the right.
>
> 1. Sign D may appear with either a solid black slash or a striped
> version as shown here. It has one meaning that """is""" found
> only in Germany and a related meaning in other countries.
> Give *both* meanings.

end speed limit - germany, end speed zone - rest of europe

> 2. Sign A also has two meanings, related to each other, used in
> different countries. Give *both*.

speed limit 60 km/hr in europe, except in the uk where it is speed limit 60 mph

> 3. Explain sign H, seen on freeways.

300 m to the next exit

> 4. In countries that use it, such as France and Germany, what does
> sign K mean?

priority road

> 5. In France what does it mean if you see "RAPPEL" under a speed
> limit sign?

reminder of the current speed limit

> 6. In Canada a flashing green traffic light """has""" two meanings
> in different provinces. A third meaning """occurs""" in Austria,
> Russia, and some other countries. What is that?

signal change to yellow coming soon

> 7. Sign S does not show a pair of hammers, but that's what some
> people thought it looked like, when it was introduced in Britain
> in the 1960s. Eventually the design was withdrawn as being
> too confusing. But you can figure it out, so you tell us:
> which other sign on the handout """is now""" used with the same
> meaning intended for S?

l - railroad crossing

> 8. Sign J mentions a specific town, Champeix, but in countries such
> as France and Germany it also has a general meaning that would
> be the same no matter what place was mentioned. What's that?

you are leaving that city so the local speed limit has ended

> 9. What is sign C?

no parking

> 10. And to finish the round with appropriate punctuation, what is
> sign T?

general hazard

> 11. The other signs on the handout were decoys, of course --
> identify them if you like for fun, but for no points.
> Please answer for each one on a separate line.

do this, don't do that, can't you read the signs...

> * Game 3, Round 8 - Canadiana - Local TV newscasters
>
> Please see the handout at: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/3/tv.pdf
>
> These people """are""" TV newscasters or others involved in
> news-related programming, who """appear""" on programs whose
> intended audience is Ontario or sometimes just the greater
> Toronto area. Some of them """may""" occasionally appear on
> national programs. We'll give you a number on the handout, and
> the broadcaster the person """currently""" works for, and you tell
> us the person's name. Media concentration being what it is, some
> people """may""" also work for other outlets than the ones we name.
>
> I've sorted the round in order of the handout, thus interspersing
> the 11 decoys with the others. Answer for the decoys as well if
> you like for fun, but for no points.

right. this concept of fun has a different meaning down here

> 1. Citytv.

dwight drummond

> 2. CFTO.
> 3. CBC.

diana swain

> 4. Global.
> 5. Citytv (decoy)
> 6. Global.
> 7. Rogers (decoy)
> 8. Citytv (decoy)
> 9. CBC (decoy)
> 10. Global (decoy)
> 11. CFTO.
> 12. CBC (decoy)
> 13. The Weather Network.
> 14. Citytv.
> 15. CFTO.
> 16. Citytv (decoy)
> 17. CFTO (decoy)
> 18. Rogers.
> 19. Citytv (decoy)
> 20. CFTO (decoy)
> 21. Citytv (decoy)
>
> --
> Mark Brader, Toronto "Well, I'm back", he said.
> m...@vex.net -- Tolkien (The Lord of the Rings)
>
> My text in this article is in the public domain.

swp

Erland Sommarskog

Jul 25, 2020, 3:25:38 AM7/25/20
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> Whereas the replacement, sign L, will only be recognizable if you're
> familiar with the way level crossings *used* to work in, say, England:
> the gates were swung horizontally (by hand) and were across either the
> road or the railway at all times, depending on whether or not a train
> was either crossing or approaching. See:

Yeah, those I've never seen.

And you could ask what the point is have these gates across the railway.
If they are in that position when the train comes, it cannot end well.

In Sweden, at least, there is a second sign for railway crossing, which
impossible to mistake for something else, since it features a steam
locomotive. This is a crossing *without* gates or bars, so be careful!
https://encrypted-
tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcQ3AAGJWRDChj779bFuk5RYrbvIVFuYQvd7FEBu
NWmOlknyfhCLyd7mmXVYIOoO1i4YrkL8YonE&usqp=CAc

Dan Tilque

Jul 25, 2020, 9:55:30 AM7/25/20
On 7/23/20 8:56 PM, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 3, Round 7 - Geography - European Highway Signs
>
> Please see the handout at: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/3/euro.png
>
> Two warnings: first, answers may repeat. Second, some signs are
> shown in British versions for traffic driving on the left, some in
> continental European versions for driving on the right.
>
> 1. Sign D may appear with either a solid black slash or a striped
> version as shown here. It has one meaning that """is""" found
> only in Germany and a related meaning in other countries.
> Give *both* meanings.

emergency parking only, no parking

> 2. Sign A also has two meanings, related to each other, used in
> different countries. Give *both*.

speed limit 60 km/hr
speed limit 60 mph

> 3. Explain sign H, seen on freeways.

emergency parking only

> 4. In countries that use it, such as France and Germany, what does
> sign K mean?
>
> 5. In France what does it mean if you see "RAPPEL" under a speed
> limit sign?
>
> 6. In Canada a flashing green traffic light """has""" two meanings
> in different provinces. A third meaning """occurs""" in Austria,
> Russia, and some other countries. What is that?
>
> 7. Sign S does not show a pair of hammers, but that's what some
> people thought it looked like, when it was introduced in Britain
> in the 1960s. Eventually the design was withdrawn as being
> too confusing. But you can figure it out, so you tell us:
> which other sign on the handout """is now""" used with the same
> meaning intended for S?

(and those are T-squares, not hammers)

> 8. Sign J mentions a specific town, Champeix, but in countries such
> as France and Germany it also has a general meaning that would
> be the same no matter what place was mentioned. What's that?

no travellers services at <town>

> 9. What is sign C?

no entry

> 10. And to finish the round with appropriate punctuation, what is
> sign T?

warning

> 11. The other signs on the handout were decoys, of course --
> identify them if you like for fun, but for no points.
> Please answer for each one on a separate line.
>

> * Game 3, Round 8 - Canadiana - Local TV newscasters
>
> Please see the handout at: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/3/tv.pdf
>
> These people """are""" TV newscasters or others involved in
> news-related programming, who """appear""" on programs whose
> intended audience is Ontario or sometimes just the greater
> Toronto area. Some of them """may""" occasionally appear on
> national programs. We'll give you a number on the handout, and
> the broadcaster the person """currently""" works for, and you tell
> us the person's name. Media concentration being what it is, some
> people """may""" also work for other outlets than the ones we name.
>
> I've sorted the round in order of the handout, thus interspersing
> the 11 decoys with the others. Answer for the decoys as well if
> you like for fun, but for no points.

Shirley, you jest

--
Dan Tilque

Dan Blum

Jul 25, 2020, 10:44:10 AM7/25/20
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:
> [Sign S on the handout]

> Erland Sommarskog:
> > > It took me a while, but eventually I realised they are supposed to be
> > > the bars that come down as a train is approaching.

> Dan Blum:
> > OK, sure. To me that is a classic example of a symbol I can only
> > recognize when I already know what it's supposed to be.

> Whereas the replacement, sign L, will only be recognizable if you're
> familiar with the way level crossings *used* to work in, say, England:
> the gates were swung horizontally (by hand) and were across either the
> road or the railway at all times, depending on whether or not a train
> was either crossing or approaching. See:

> http://c8.alamy.com/comp/DBC4R4/manually-operated-railway-level-crossing-at-cantley-norfolk-england-DBC4R4.jpg

> (That particular one is still like that according to Google Street
> View, but there aren't many left any more.)

That may be what it's supposed to look like, but it also looks very
much like railroad tracks.

Mark Brader

Jul 25, 2020, 7:24:25 PM7/25/20
Mark Brader:
>> Whereas the replacement, sign L, will only be recognizable if you're
>> familiar with the way level crossings *used* to work in, say, England:
>> the gates were swung horizontally (by hand) and were across either the
>> road or the railway at all times, depending on whether or not a train
>> was either crossing or approaching...

Dan Blum:
> That may be what it's supposed to look like, but it also looks very
> much like railroad tracks.

Not when you notice that the fence pickets are asymmetrical.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "The only proven use of antimatter is the production
m...@vex.net | of Nobel Prizes in physics." -- Henry Spencer

Mark Brader

Jul 25, 2020, 7:37:50 PM7/25/20
Mark Brader:
> > Whereas the replacement, sign L, will only be recognizable if you're
> > familiar with the way level crossings *used* to work in, say, England:
> > the gates were swung horizontally (by hand) and were across either the
> > road or the railway at all times, depending on whether or not a train
> > was either crossing or approaching. See:

Erland Sommarskog:
> Yeah, those I've never seen.

I'm not surprised. I'm not sure how many countries ever used them;
I think Germany is another one that did.

> And you could ask what the point is have these gates across the railway.
> If they are in that position when the train comes, it cannot end well.

In that case they'd just get smashed. But the crossing guard or signalman
would presumably be responsible for the cost of replacing them, and he
doesn't want that to happen. Therefore he has a strong incentive to
close them across the road.

> In Sweden, at least, there is a second sign for railway crossing, which
> impossible to mistake for something else, since it features a steam
> locomotive.

But to know what it means, you have to know what a steam locomotive looks
like! I think I've seen a similar sign in the US somewhere at some time,
probably indicating a train *station*, but I may be misremembering.

> This is a crossing *without* gates or bars, so be careful!

We have those on this continent too, though normally only on minor roads.
--
Mark Brader | "How, you may ask, did the mind of man ever excogitate
Toronto | anything so false and foolish? The answer is that the

Dan Blum

Jul 26, 2020, 12:16:23 PM7/26/20
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:
> Mark Brader:
> >> Whereas the replacement, sign L, will only be recognizable if you're
> >> familiar with the way level crossings *used* to work in, say, England:
> >> the gates were swung horizontally (by hand) and were across either the
> >> road or the railway at all times, depending on whether or not a train
> >> was either crossing or approaching...

> Dan Blum:
> > That may be what it's supposed to look like, but it also looks very
> > much like railroad tracks.

> Not when you notice that the fence pickets are asymmetrical.

Sure, but at first glance it's easy to miss that. If I HAD noticed
them I would have not figured out what it meant, as I've not seen that
kind of fence on railroad tracks in the US.

Mark Brader

Jul 26, 2020, 3:09:51 PM7/26/20
[Sign L on the handout]
Dan Blum:
>>> That may be what it's supposed to look like, but it also looks very
>>> much like railroad tracks.

Mark Brader:
>> Not when you notice that the fence pickets are asymmetrical.

Dan Blum:
> Sure, but at first glance it's easy to miss that. If I HAD noticed
> them I would have not figured out what it meant, as I've not seen that
> kind of fence on railroad tracks in the US.

So that's *both* of the relevant signs [L and S] where you've identified
the right meaning for the wrong reason. That takes a special talent!
--
Mark Brader "It flies like a truck."
Toronto "Good. What is a truck?"

Mark Brader

Jul 27, 2020, 12:04:57 AM7/27/20
Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2007-02-05,
> see my 2020-06-23 companion posting on "Reposted Questions from the
> Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".
> I originally wrote one of these rounds.

That was the signs round.

> * Game 3, Round 7 - Geography - European Highway Signs

> Please see the handout at: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/3/euro.png

> Two warnings: first, answers may repeat. Second, some signs are
> shown in British versions for traffic driving on the left, some in
> continental European versions for driving on the right.

> 1. Sign D may appear with either a solid black slash or a striped
> version as shown here. It has one meaning that """is""" found
> only in Germany and a related meaning in other countries.
> Give *both* meanings.

Germany: End speed limit. Elsewhere: end speed zone (national
highway speed limit applies). An end to other local restrictions
may also apply. (Still true.) 4 for Erland and Stephen.

> 2. Sign A also has two meanings, related to each other, used in
> different countries. Give *both*.

UK: speed limit 60 mph. Elsewhere: speed limit 60 km/h. 4 for
Joshua, Bruce, Pete, Stephen, and Dan Tilque.

> 3. Explain sign H, seen on freeways.

300 yards or meters to the upcoming exit. (Each stroke means
100 yards or meters and a 3-2-1 countdown sequence is posted.
Anything along these lines was okay.) 4 for Erland and Stephen.

> 4. In countries that use it, such as France and Germany, what does
> sign K mean?

Priority road: until further notice you *do not* have to yield to
traffic entering from your right. 4 for Erland and Stephen.

> 5. In France what does it mean if you see "RAPPEL" under a speed
> limit sign?

Reminder. This sign is not marking a new speed limit, just
repeating the current one -- the reverse of the use of "BEGINS" here.
4 for Erland and Stephen.

> 6. In Canada a flashing green traffic light """has""" two meanings
> in different provinces. A third meaning """occurs""" in Austria,
> Russia, and some other countries. What is that?

Preliminary warning between the normal green and the yellow. As far
as I know all three meanings are still in use. 4 for Stephen.

> 7. Sign S does not show a pair of hammers, but that's what some
> people thought it looked like, when it was introduced in Britain
> in the 1960s. Eventually the design was withdrawn as being
> too confusing. But you can figure it out, so you tell us:
> which other sign on the handout """is now""" used with the same
> meaning intended for S?

L (railway crossing, with barriers; still true). 4 for Dan Blum,
Erland, Bruce, and Stephen. 3 for Joshua.

The hammerheads were actually the counterweights on each barrier arm.

> 8. Sign J mentions a specific town, Champeix, but in countries such
> as France and Germany it also has a general meaning that would
> be the same no matter what place was mentioned. What's that?

End of (town) speed zone (national highway speed limit applies).
4 for Erland and Stephen.

> 9. What is sign C?

No parking. (I'd've accepted "no waiting" or "no standing", but
"no stopping" is wrong; that's B.) 4 for Erland and Stephen.

> 10. And to finish the round with appropriate punctuation, what is
> sign T?

Miscellaneous warning: some hazard that no symbol is available for
(usually used with explanatory text below). Answers like "hazard"
or "caution" were acceptable. 4 for Erland, Pete, Stephen,
and Dan Tilque.

> 11. The other signs on the handout were decoys, of course --
> identify them if you like for fun, but for no points.
> Please answer for each one on a separate line.

B. No stopping.
E. No passing (overtaking).
F. Roundabout (traffic circle) or mini-roundabout.
G. Magic roundabout (two-way traffic circle with mini-roundabouts
where roads join it, just as diagrammed). The exit shown at
top right is not a through street.
I. The Secret Nuclear Bunker is a disused Cold War bomb shelter in
England, now a tourist attraction.
M. Traffic lights.
N. Crossroad (where you do not have to yield).
O. Double curve.
P. Gradient.
Q. Bump (or rough road).
R. Road narrows.

Erland and Bruce tried these and both of them more or less got all of them,
except Bruce missed B and E.

> * Game 3, Round 8 - Canadiana - Local TV newscasters

> Please see the handout at: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/3/tv.pdf

> These people """are""" TV newscasters or others involved in
> news-related programming, who """appear""" on programs whose
> intended audience is Ontario or sometimes just the greater
> Toronto area. Some of them """may""" occasionally appear on
> national programs. We'll give you a number on the handout, and
> the broadcaster the person """currently""" works for, and you tell
> us the person's name. Media concentration being what it is, some
> people """may""" also work for other outlets than the ones we name.

> I've sorted the round in order of the handout, thus interspersing
> the 11 decoys with the others. Answer for the decoys as well if
> you like for fun, but for no points.

This was the hardest round in the original game, and fourth-hardest --
excluding audio rounds -- in the entire season.

> 1. Citytv.

Dwight Drummond. (Now with the CBC.) 4 for Stephen.

> 2. CFTO.

Ken Shaw. (Recently retired.)

> 3. CBC.

Diana Swain. (Still true.) 4 for Stephen.

> 4. Global.

Leslie Roberts. (Now with CTV's Ottawa station.)

> 5. Citytv (decoy)

Ed the Sock. (Now retired as far as I can tell.)

> 6. Global.

Christine Crosbie. (Died in 2019.)

> 7. Rogers (decoy)

Linda Leatherdale. (No longer on TV as far as I can cell.)

> 8. Citytv (decoy)

Anne Mroczkowski. (Retired in 2013.)

> 9. CBC (decoy)

Amanda Singroy. (Now with the CBC.)

> 10. Global (decoy)

Anne-Marie Mediwake. (Now with CTV.)

> 11. CFTO.

Dave Devall. (Retired in 2009.)

In the days before computerized displays, he used to present
weather reports by standing behind a transparent map and writing in
mirror-image characters on the back of it. I always thought it was
a classy technique. See:
http://static.torontopubliclibrary.ca/da/images/LC/tspa_0100533f.jpg

> 12. CBC (decoy)

Natasha Ramsahai. (Now on Citytv.)

> 13. The Weather Network.

Karen Johnson. (Now with the CBC.)

> 14. Citytv.

Dina Pugliese. (Still true.)

> 15. CFTO.

Suneel Joshi. (I'm not sure what he's doing now.)

> 16. Citytv (decoy)

David Onley. (Retired in 2007 and was then lieutenant-governor of
Ontario until 2014.)

> 17. CFTO (decoy)

Christine Bentley. (Retired in 2012.)

> 18. Rogers.

Dale Goldhawk. (Retired in 2016.)

> 19. Citytv (decoy)

Beatrice Politi. (I'm not sure what she's doing now.)

> 20. CFTO (decoy)

Pauline Chan. (Still true.)

> 21. Citytv (decoy)

Kathryn Humphreys. (Retired in 2015.)

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 3 ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 6 7 8 BEST
TOPICS-> His Lit Sci Ent Geo Can FOUR
Stephen Perry 32 39 -- -- 40 8 119
Dan Blum 32 22 24 28 4 0 106
Joshua Kreitzer 26 20 12 40 7 0 98
Dan Tilque 24 4 20 16 8 0 68
Erland Sommarskog 20 0 0 4 32 0 56
Pete Gayde 8 0 -- -- 8 0 16
Bruce Bowler -- -- -- -- 8 0 8

--
Mark Brader | "This was the ancient Greek equivalent
Toronto | of 'citation needed'."