QFTCIMM16 Game 1, Rounds 2-3: baseball movies, Canlogos

Mark Brader

Nov 26, 2016, 12:49:10 AM11/26/16
These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2016-09-19,
and should be interpreted accordingly.

Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

All questions were written by members of the Misplaced Modifiers
and are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
see my recent companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

* Game 1, Round 2 - Entertainment - The Boys (and Girls and Dogs) of Summer

This round is about baseball movies. (In this case the term
"movie" includes TV-movies.) We describe it -- you name it.

1. A 1988 dramatization of the "Black Sox" scandal of 1919,
starring John Cusack, John Mahoney, and Charlie Sheen.

2. A player seemingly comes out of nowhere and displays almost
divine talent with the aid of his bat "Wonderboy". 1984,
starring Wilfred Brimley and Robert Redford.

3. 1973. Examines the friendship between a star pitcher and his
half-wit tobacco-chewing catcher as they deal with the catcher's
mortal illness. Starring Michael Moriarty and Robert De Niro.

4. An aimless young petty crook agrees to coach a Chicago
little-league team in order to settle his debts. 2001,
starring Keanu Reeves, Diane Lane, and D.B. Sweeney.

5. A scientist makes a substance which causes a baseball to be
repelled by wood. He becomes a major-league pitcher and wins
the World Series. 1949, starring Ray Milland, Jean Peters,
and Paul Douglas.

6. A losing baseball team gets some supernatural help to become
winners. Original made in 1951 starring Paul Douglas and Janet
Leigh; remade in 1984 with Danny Glover and Brenda Fricker.

7. A 1992 depiction of the All American Girls Baseball League.
Starring Geena Davis, Lori Petty, and Madonna.

8. An aging, down-on-his-luck ex-minor leaguer coaches a team
of misfits in an ultra-competitive California Little League.
Starring Walter Matthau, Tatum O'Neal, and Jackie Earle Haley.
Billy Bob Thornton starred in an ill-considered 2005 remake.

9. A 2001 movie starring Barry Pepper and Thomas Jane, about the
race between Roger Maris and Mickey Mantle to break Babe Ruth's
single-season home run record.

10. 2013 story of Jackie Robinson's historic breaking of the
major-league color barrier with the Brooklyn Dodgers.
Starring Chadwick Boseman and Harrison Ford.

* Game 1, Round 3 - Canadiana - Canadian Logos Past and Present

Ottawa advertising agency Northern Army has created a website
to collect what they consider to be the best logos in Canada --
"preserved in the moment in time we felt they were at their
best. Some of them are no longer in use, or have been updated,
for better or worse."

Please see the handout at:

http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/1-3/logos/logos.pdf

In each case, we give you the number of the logo; you tell us
the organization, company, government department, agency, event,
program, or group that is (or was) represented by that logo.

In some cases short forms are sufficient. If you aren't sure
of the correct long form, you can try just giving a short form;
but I'll also allow you to give *within a single guess* a short
form and a corresponding long form, in which case I'll look only
at the one that fits the type of answer required. If you do this,
please put one of the forms in parentheses so I can be sure they
aren't two separate guesses.

I've rearranged the round in order by logo number. As you see,
there were 22 decoys, which are now interspersed with the others;
identify those logos if you like for fun, but for no points.

1. (decoy)
2. Name it.
3. (decoy)
4. Name it.
5. (decoy)
6. (decoy)
7. (decoy)
8. Name it.
9. (decoy)
10. (decoy)
11. (decoy)
12. (decoy)
13. (decoy)
14. (decoy)
15. Name it.
16. (decoy)
17. (decoy)
18. (decoy)
19. (decoy)
20. (That's the unnumbered one, of course.) Name it.
21. (decoy)
22. (decoy)
23. (decoy)
24. Name it.
25. Name it.
26. (decoy)
27. (decoy)
28. (decoy)
29. Name it.
30. Name it.
31. (decoy)
32. Name it.

After completing the round, please decode the rot13: Vs lbh fnvq
"GQ Pnanqn Gehfg" sbe nal ybtb, jr arrq lbh gb or yrff fcrpvsvp,
be zber fcrpvsvp, qrcraqvat ba ubj lbh ybbx ng vg. Naq vs lbh
ersreerq gb gur Bylzcvpf, jr arrq fbzrguvat zber fcrpvsvp gurer
nyfb. Yvxrjvfr, vs sbe nal nafjre nyy lbh fnvq jnf "Pnanqvna",
be nyy lbh fnvq jnf "fhojnl" be n fvzvyne jbeq, ntnva jr arrq zber.
Cyrnfr tb onpx naq rqvg nf nccyvpnoyr.

--
Mark Brader | "/dev/null institutionalizes a regrettable loss of bits

Joshua Kreitzer

Nov 26, 2016, 1:33:54 AM11/26/16
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in

> * Game 1, Round 2 - Entertainment - The Boys (and Girls and Dogs) of
> Summer
>
> This round is about baseball movies. (In this case the term
> "movie" includes TV-movies.) We describe it -- you name it.
>
> 1. A 1988 dramatization of the "Black Sox" scandal of 1919,
> starring John Cusack, John Mahoney, and Charlie Sheen.

"Eight Men Out"

> 2. A player seemingly comes out of nowhere and displays almost
> divine talent with the aid of his bat "Wonderboy". 1984,
> starring Wilfred Brimley and Robert Redford.

"The Natural"

> 3. 1973. Examines the friendship between a star pitcher and his
> half-wit tobacco-chewing catcher as they deal with the catcher's
> mortal illness. Starring Michael Moriarty and Robert De Niro.

"Bang the Drum Slowly"

> 4. An aimless young petty crook agrees to coach a Chicago
> little-league team in order to settle his debts. 2001,
> starring Keanu Reeves, Diane Lane, and D.B. Sweeney.

"Hardball" (?)

> 5. A scientist makes a substance which causes a baseball to be
> repelled by wood. He becomes a major-league pitcher and wins
> the World Series. 1949, starring Ray Milland, Jean Peters,
> and Paul Douglas.

"It Happens Every Spring"

> 6. A losing baseball team gets some supernatural help to become
> winners. Original made in 1951 starring Paul Douglas and Janet
> Leigh; remade in 1984 with Danny Glover and Brenda Fricker.

"Angels in the Outfield" (?; if so, the remake date looks wrong)

> 7. A 1992 depiction of the All American Girls Baseball League.
> Starring Geena Davis, Lori Petty, and Madonna.

"A League of Their Own"

> 8. An aging, down-on-his-luck ex-minor leaguer coaches a team
> of misfits in an ultra-competitive California Little League.
> Starring Walter Matthau, Tatum O'Neal, and Jackie Earle Haley.
> Billy Bob Thornton starred in an ill-considered 2005 remake.

"The Bad News Bears"

> 9. A 2001 movie starring Barry Pepper and Thomas Jane, about the
> race between Roger Maris and Mickey Mantle to break Babe Ruth's
> single-season home run record.

"61*"

> 10. 2013 story of Jackie Robinson's historic breaking of the
> major-league color barrier with the Brooklyn Dodgers.
> Starring Chadwick Boseman and Harrison Ford.

"42"

> * Game 1, Round 3 - Canadiana - Canadian Logos Past and Present
>
> Ottawa advertising agency Northern Army has created a website
> to collect what they consider to be the best logos in Canada --
> "preserved in the moment in time we felt they were at their
> best. Some of them are no longer in use, or have been updated,
> for better or worse."
>
> Please see the handout at:
>
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/1-3/logos/logos.pdf
>
> In each case, we give you the number of the logo; you tell us
> the organization, company, government department, agency, event,
> program, or group that is (or was) represented by that logo.
>
> 17. (decoy)

Men Without Hats

> 20. (That's the unnumbered one, of course.) Name it.

National Film Board of Canada
.
> 30. Name it.

1988 Winter Olympics; 2010 Winter Olympics

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

Gareth Owen

Nov 26, 2016, 1:39:37 AM11/26/16
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) writes:

> 1. A 1988 dramatization of the "Black Sox" scandal of 1919,
> starring John Cusack, John Mahoney, and Charlie Sheen.

Eight Men Out

> 2. A player seemingly comes out of nowhere and displays almost
> divine talent with the aid of his bat "Wonderboy". 1984,
> starring Wilfred Brimley and Robert Redford.

The Natural

> 3. 1973. Examines the friendship between a star pitcher and his
> half-wit tobacco-chewing catcher as they deal with the catcher's
> mortal illness. Starring Michael Moriarty and Robert De Niro.

Bang The Drum Slowly. I've not seen the film, but the book on which its
based, and its predecessor "The Southpaw" are terrific. The last two in
the sequence are less good.

> 4. An aimless young petty crook agrees to coach a Chicago
> little-league team in order to settle his debts. 2001,
> starring Keanu Reeves, Diane Lane, and D.B. Sweeney.

Nope

> 5. A scientist makes a substance which causes a baseball to be
> repelled by wood. He becomes a major-league pitcher and wins
> the World Series. 1949, starring Ray Milland, Jean Peters,
> and Paul Douglas.

Nope

> 6. A losing baseball team gets some supernatural help to become
> winners. Original made in 1951 starring Paul Douglas and Janet
> Leigh; remade in 1984 with Danny Glover and Brenda Fricker.

Angels In The Outfield

> 7. A 1992 depiction of the All American Girls Baseball League.
> Starring Geena Davis, Lori Petty, and Madonna.

A League Of Their Own

> 8. An aging, down-on-his-luck ex-minor leaguer coaches a team
> of misfits in an ultra-competitive California Little League.
> Starring Walter Matthau, Tatum O'Neal, and Jackie Earle Haley.
> Billy Bob Thornton starred in an ill-considered 2005 remake.

The Bad News Bears

> 9. A 2001 movie starring Barry Pepper and Thomas Jane, about the
> race between Roger Maris and Mickey Mantle to break Babe Ruth's
> single-season home run record.

61*

> 10. 2013 story of Jackie Robinson's historic breaking of the
> major-league color barrier with the Brooklyn Dodgers.
> Starring Chadwick Boseman and Harrison Ford.

42

> * Game 1, Round 3 - Canadiana - Canadian Logos Past and Present

Pass

Right, I'm off for a game of TEGWAR

Dan Tilque

Nov 26, 2016, 11:24:02 PM11/26/16
Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 1, Round 2 - Entertainment - The Boys (and Girls and Dogs) of Summer
>
> This round is about baseball movies. (In this case the term
> "movie" includes TV-movies.) We describe it -- you name it.
>
> 1. A 1988 dramatization of the "Black Sox" scandal of 1919,
> starring John Cusack, John Mahoney, and Charlie Sheen.

Eight Men Out

> 2. A player seemingly comes out of nowhere and displays almost
> divine talent with the aid of his bat "Wonderboy". 1984,
> starring Wilfred Brimley and Robert Redford.
>
> 3. 1973. Examines the friendship between a star pitcher and his
> half-wit tobacco-chewing catcher as they deal with the catcher's
> mortal illness. Starring Michael Moriarty and Robert De Niro.
>
> 4. An aimless young petty crook agrees to coach a Chicago
> little-league team in order to settle his debts. 2001,
> starring Keanu Reeves, Diane Lane, and D.B. Sweeney.
>
> 5. A scientist makes a substance which causes a baseball to be
> repelled by wood. He becomes a major-league pitcher and wins
> the World Series. 1949, starring Ray Milland, Jean Peters,
> and Paul Douglas.
>
> 6. A losing baseball team gets some supernatural help to become
> winners. Original made in 1951 starring Paul Douglas and Janet
> Leigh; remade in 1984 with Danny Glover and Brenda Fricker.

Angels in the Outfield

> 7. A 1992 depiction of the All American Girls Baseball League.
> Starring Geena Davis, Lori Petty, and Madonna.

A League of Their Own

Dan Tilque

Björn Lundin

Nov 27, 2016, 4:05:20 AM11/27/16
On 2016-11-26 06:49, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 1, Round 2 - Entertainment - The Boys (and Girls and Dogs) of Summer
>
> This round is about baseball movies. (In this case the term
> "movie" includes TV-movies.) We describe it -- you name it.

Not my game

> * Game 1, Round 3 - Canadiana - Canadian Logos Past and Present

No luck here either

--
Björn

Pete

Nov 27, 2016, 4:35:38 PM11/27/16
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2016-09-19,

> Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of the Misplaced Modifiers
> and are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
> have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
> see my recent companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 1, Round 2 - Entertainment - The Boys (and Girls and Dogs) of
> Summer
>
> This round is about baseball movies. (In this case the term
> "movie" includes TV-movies.) We describe it -- you name it.
>
> 1. A 1988 dramatization of the "Black Sox" scandal of 1919,
> starring John Cusack, John Mahoney, and Charlie Sheen.

8 Men Out

> 2. A player seemingly comes out of nowhere and displays almost
> divine talent with the aid of his bat "Wonderboy". 1984,
> starring Wilfred Brimley and Robert Redford.

The Natural

> 3. 1973. Examines the friendship between a star pitcher and his
> half-wit tobacco-chewing catcher as they deal with the catcher's
> mortal illness. Starring Michael Moriarty and Robert De Niro.
>
> 4. An aimless young petty crook agrees to coach a Chicago
> little-league team in order to settle his debts. 2001,
> starring Keanu Reeves, Diane Lane, and D.B. Sweeney.
>
> 5. A scientist makes a substance which causes a baseball to be
> repelled by wood. He becomes a major-league pitcher and wins
> the World Series. 1949, starring Ray Milland, Jean Peters,
> and Paul Douglas.
>
> 6. A losing baseball team gets some supernatural help to become
> winners. Original made in 1951 starring Paul Douglas and Janet
> Leigh; remade in 1984 with Danny Glover and Brenda Fricker.

Damn Yankees

> 7. A 1992 depiction of the All American Girls Baseball League.
> Starring Geena Davis, Lori Petty, and Madonna.

A League of Their Own

> 8. An aging, down-on-his-luck ex-minor leaguer coaches a team
> of misfits in an ultra-competitive California Little League.
> Starring Walter Matthau, Tatum O'Neal, and Jackie Earle Haley.
> Billy Bob Thornton starred in an ill-considered 2005 remake.

Bad News Bears

> 9. A 2001 movie starring Barry Pepper and Thomas Jane, about the
> race between Roger Maris and Mickey Mantle to break Babe Ruth's
> single-season home run record.

61

> 10. 2013 story of Jackie Robinson's historic breaking of the
> major-league color barrier with the Brooklyn Dodgers.
> Starring Chadwick Boseman and Harrison Ford.

42
CBC

> 5. (decoy)

Terre des Hommes

> 6. (decoy)
> 7. (decoy)
> 8. Name it.
> 9. (decoy)
> 10. (decoy)
> 11. (decoy)
> 12. (decoy)
> 13. (decoy)
> 14. (decoy)
> 15. Name it.
> 16. (decoy)
> 17. (decoy)
> 18. (decoy)

Toronto Metro

> 19. (decoy)
> 20. (That's the unnumbered one, of course.) Name it.
> 21. (decoy)

CN railroad

> 22. (decoy)
> 23. (decoy)
> 24. Name it.
> 25. Name it.
> 26. (decoy)
> 27. (decoy)
> 28. (decoy)
> 29. Name it.
> 30. Name it.

Calgary Olympics

> 31. (decoy)
> 32. Name it.

Terre des Hommes

> After completing the round, please decode the rot13: Vs lbh fnvq
> "GQ Pnanqn Gehfg" sbe nal ybtb, jr arrq lbh gb or yrff fcrpvsvp,
> be zber fcrpvsvp, qrcraqvat ba ubj lbh ybbx ng vg. Naq vs lbh
> ersreerq gb gur Bylzcvpf, jr arrq fbzrguvat zber fcrpvsvp gurer
> nyfb. Yvxrjvfr, vs sbe nal nafjre nyy lbh fnvq jnf "Pnanqvna",
> be nyy lbh fnvq jnf "fhojnl" be n fvzvyne jbeq, ntnva jr arrq zber.
> Cyrnfr tb onpx naq rqvg nf nccyvpnoyr.

Pete Gayde

Calvin

Nov 27, 2016, 8:43:43 PM11/27/16
On Saturday, November 26, 2016 at 3:49:10 PM UTC+10, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 1, Round 2 - Entertainment - The Boys (and Girls and Dogs) of Summer
>
> This round is about baseball movies. (In this case the term
> "movie" includes TV-movies.) We describe it -- you name it.
>
> 1. A 1988 dramatization of the "Black Sox" scandal of 1919,
> starring John Cusack, John Mahoney, and Charlie Sheen.

Last Man Out, Last Man Standing

> 2. A player seemingly comes out of nowhere and displays almost
> divine talent with the aid of his bat "Wonderboy". 1984,
> starring Wilfred Brimley and Robert Redford.

The Natural

> 3. 1973. Examines the friendship between a star pitcher and his
> half-wit tobacco-chewing catcher as they deal with the catcher's
> mortal illness. Starring Michael Moriarty and Robert De Niro.
>
> 4. An aimless young petty crook agrees to coach a Chicago
> little-league team in order to settle his debts. 2001,
> starring Keanu Reeves, Diane Lane, and D.B. Sweeney.
>
> 5. A scientist makes a substance which causes a baseball to be
> repelled by wood. He becomes a major-league pitcher and wins
> the World Series. 1949, starring Ray Milland, Jean Peters,
> and Paul Douglas.
>
> 6. A losing baseball team gets some supernatural help to become
> winners. Original made in 1951 starring Paul Douglas and Janet
> Leigh; remade in 1984 with Danny Glover and Brenda Fricker.
>
> 7. A 1992 depiction of the All American Girls Baseball League.
> Starring Geena Davis, Lori Petty, and Madonna.

A League of Their Own

> 8. An aging, down-on-his-luck ex-minor leaguer coaches a team
> of misfits in an ultra-competitive California Little League.
> Starring Walter Matthau, Tatum O'Neal, and Jackie Earle Haley.
> Billy Bob Thornton starred in an ill-considered 2005 remake.

The Bad News Bears

> 9. A 2001 movie starring Barry Pepper and Thomas Jane, about the
> race between Roger Maris and Mickey Mantle to break Babe Ruth's
> single-season home run record.
>
> 10. 2013 story of Jackie Robinson's historic breaking of the
> major-league color barrier with the Brooklyn Dodgers.
> Starring Chadwick Boseman and Harrison Ford.
>

> * Game 1, Round 3 - Canadiana - Canadian Logos Past and Present

Pass

cheers,
calvin

Dan Blum

Nov 27, 2016, 10:39:51 PM11/27/16
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 1, Round 2 - Entertainment - The Boys (and Girls and Dogs) of Summer

> 1. A 1988 dramatization of the "Black Sox" scandal of 1919,
> starring John Cusack, John Mahoney, and Charlie Sheen.

Eight Men Out

> 2. A player seemingly comes out of nowhere and displays almost
> divine talent with the aid of his bat "Wonderboy". 1984,
> starring Wilfred Brimley and Robert Redford.

The Natural

> 3. 1973. Examines the friendship between a star pitcher and his
> half-wit tobacco-chewing catcher as they deal with the catcher's
> mortal illness. Starring Michael Moriarty and Robert De Niro.

Bang the Drum Slowly

> 5. A scientist makes a substance which causes a baseball to be
> repelled by wood. He becomes a major-league pitcher and wins
> the World Series. 1949, starring Ray Milland, Jean Peters,
> and Paul Douglas.

Flubber

> 6. A losing baseball team gets some supernatural help to become
> winners. Original made in 1951 starring Paul Douglas and Janet
> Leigh; remade in 1984 with Danny Glover and Brenda Fricker.

Angels in the Outfield

> 7. A 1992 depiction of the All American Girls Baseball League.
> Starring Geena Davis, Lori Petty, and Madonna.

A League of Their Own

> 8. An aging, down-on-his-luck ex-minor leaguer coaches a team
> of misfits in an ultra-competitive California Little League.
> Starring Walter Matthau, Tatum O'Neal, and Jackie Earle Haley.
> Billy Bob Thornton starred in an ill-considered 2005 remake.

The Bad News Bears

> 9. A 2001 movie starring Barry Pepper and Thomas Jane, about the
> race between Roger Maris and Mickey Mantle to break Babe Ruth's
> single-season home run record.

61*

> 10. 2013 story of Jackie Robinson's historic breaking of the
> major-league color barrier with the Brooklyn Dodgers.
> Starring Chadwick Boseman and Harrison Ford.

42

> * Game 1, Round 3 - Canadiana - Canadian Logos Past and Present

> 8. Name it.

CBC

> 30. Name it.

Canadian Olympic team; Vancouver Olympics

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Marc Dashevsky

Nov 28, 2016, 9:45:12 AM11/28/16
In article <nemdnfg5r_PMv6TF...@giganews.com>, m...@vex.net says...
> * Game 1, Round 2 - Entertainment - The Boys (and Girls and Dogs) of Summer
>
> This round is about baseball movies. (In this case the term
> "movie" includes TV-movies.) We describe it -- you name it.
>
> 1. A 1988 dramatization of the "Black Sox" scandal of 1919,
> starring John Cusack, John Mahoney, and Charlie Sheen.
Field Of Dreams

> 2. A player seemingly comes out of nowhere and displays almost
> divine talent with the aid of his bat "Wonderboy". 1984,
> starring Wilfred Brimley and Robert Redford.
The Natural

> 3. 1973. Examines the friendship between a star pitcher and his
> half-wit tobacco-chewing catcher as they deal with the catcher's
> mortal illness. Starring Michael Moriarty and Robert De Niro.
Bang The Drum Slowly

> 4. An aimless young petty crook agrees to coach a Chicago
> little-league team in order to settle his debts. 2001,
> starring Keanu Reeves, Diane Lane, and D.B. Sweeney.
>
> 5. A scientist makes a substance which causes a baseball to be
> repelled by wood. He becomes a major-league pitcher and wins
> the World Series. 1949, starring Ray Milland, Jean Peters,
> and Paul Douglas.
It Happens Every Spring

> 6. A losing baseball team gets some supernatural help to become
> winners. Original made in 1951 starring Paul Douglas and Janet
> Leigh; remade in 1984 with Danny Glover and Brenda Fricker.
Angels In The Outfield

> 7. A 1992 depiction of the All American Girls Baseball League.
> Starring Geena Davis, Lori Petty, and Madonna.
A League Of Their Own

> 8. An aging, down-on-his-luck ex-minor leaguer coaches a team
> of misfits in an ultra-competitive California Little League.
> Starring Walter Matthau, Tatum O'Neal, and Jackie Earle Haley.
> Billy Bob Thornton starred in an ill-considered 2005 remake.
Bad News Bears

> 9. A 2001 movie starring Barry Pepper and Thomas Jane, about the
> race between Roger Maris and Mickey Mantle to break Babe Ruth's
> single-season home run record.
61

> 10. 2013 story of Jackie Robinson's historic breaking of the
> major-league color barrier with the Brooklyn Dodgers.
> Starring Chadwick Boseman and Harrison Ford.
42

Mark Brader

Nov 29, 2016, 12:19:56 AM11/29/16
Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2016-09-19,
> see my recent companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

> * Game 1, Round 2 - Entertainment - The Boys (and Girls and Dogs)
> of Summer

> This round is about baseball movies. (In this case the term
> "movie" includes TV-movies.) We describe it -- you name it.

> 1. A 1988 dramatization of the "Black Sox" scandal of 1919,
> starring John Cusack, John Mahoney, and Charlie Sheen.

"Eight Men Out". 4 for Joshua, Gareth, Dan Tilque, Pete,
and Dan Blum.

> 2. A player seemingly comes out of nowhere and displays almost
> divine talent with the aid of his bat "Wonderboy". 1984,
> starring Wilfred Brimley and Robert Redford.

"The Natural". 4 for Joshua, Gareth, Pete, Calvin, Dan Blum,
and Marc.

> 3. 1973. Examines the friendship between a star pitcher and his
> half-wit tobacco-chewing catcher as they deal with the catcher's
> mortal illness. Starring Michael Moriarty and Robert De Niro.

"Bang the Drum Slowly". 4 for Joshua, Gareth, Dan Blum, and Marc.

> 4. An aimless young petty crook agrees to coach a Chicago
> little-league team in order to settle his debts. 2001,
> starring Keanu Reeves, Diane Lane, and D.B. Sweeney.

"Hardball". 4 for Joshua.

> 5. A scientist makes a substance which causes a baseball to be
> repelled by wood. He becomes a major-league pitcher and wins
> the World Series. 1949, starring Ray Milland, Jean Peters,
> and Paul Douglas.

"It Happens Every Spring". 4 for Joshua and Marc.

The movie basically ignored the fact that he was cheating by doing
this. The baseball leagues took notice, though, and denied the
studio permission to mention any actual baseball teams.

> 6. A losing baseball team gets some supernatural help to become
> winners. Original made in 1951 starring Paul Douglas and Janet
> Leigh; remade in 1984 with Danny Glover and Brenda Fricker.

For 1984, read 1994. Sorry about that.

"Angels in the Outfield". 4 for Joshua, Gareth, Dan Tilque,
Dan Blum, and Marc.

> 7. A 1992 depiction of the All American Girls Baseball League.
> Starring Geena Davis, Lori Petty, and Madonna.

"A League of their Own". 4 for Joshua, Gareth, Dan Tilque, Pete,
Calvin, Dan Blum, and Marc.

> 8. An aging, down-on-his-luck ex-minor leaguer coaches a team
> of misfits in an ultra-competitive California Little League.
> Starring Walter Matthau, Tatum O'Neal, and Jackie Earle Haley.
> Billy Bob Thornton starred in an ill-considered 2005 remake.

"The Bad News Bears" (1976). 4 for Joshua, Gareth, Pete, Calvin,
Dan Blum, and Marc.

> 9. A 2001 movie starring Barry Pepper and Thomas Jane, about the
> race between Roger Maris and Mickey Mantle to break Babe Ruth's
> single-season home run record.

"61*". The "*" was not required. 4 for Joshua, Gareth, Pete,
Dan Blum, and Marc.

> 10. 2013 story of Jackie Robinson's historic breaking of the
> major-league color barrier with the Brooklyn Dodgers.
> Starring Chadwick Boseman and Harrison Ford.

"42". 4 for Joshua, Gareth, Pete, Dan Blum, and Marc.

> * Game 1, Round 3 - Canadiana - Canadian Logos Past and Present

> Ottawa advertising agency Northern Army has created a website
> to collect what they consider to be the best logos in Canada --
> "preserved in the moment in time we felt they were at their
> best. Some of them are no longer in use, or have been updated,
> for better or worse."

> Please see the handout at:

> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/1-3/logos/logos.pdf

> In each case, we give you the number of the logo; you tell us
> the organization, company, government department, agency, event,
> program, or group that is (or was) represented by that logo.

> In some cases short forms are sufficient. If you aren't sure
> of the correct long form, you can try just giving a short form;
> but I'll also allow you to give *within a single guess* a short
> form and a corresponding long form, in which case I'll look only
> at the one that fits the type of answer required. If you do this,
> please put one of the forms in parentheses so I can be sure they
> aren't two separate guesses.

> I've rearranged the round in order by logo number. As you see,
> there were 22 decoys, which are now interspersed with the others;
> identify those logos if you like for fun, but for no points.

> 1. (decoy)

Ontario Hydro.

> 2. Name it.

City of Montreal.

> 3. (decoy)

Commodore Business Machines.

> 4. Name it.

The centennial of Canada (1967).

By the way, here's the logo for next year's sesquicentennial:
http://pbs.twimg.com/media/CjpjTtBUgAIXG5k.jpg

> 5. (decoy)

Expo 67 (the 1967 world's fair in Montreal). The theme of the fair
was "Man and his World", or in French "Terre des Hommes", and for
several years afterwards this was used as the name of a summer fair
on part of the site. Pete got the latter name.

> 6. (decoy)

Dominion. (Supermarket chain.)

> 7. (decoy)

Canada Council for the Arts.

> 8. Name it.

Ontario Science Centre.

> 9. (decoy)

Potash Corp.

> 10. (decoy)

Global TV.

> 11. (decoy)

Saskatchewan.

> 12. (decoy)

Ontario Place.

> 13. (decoy)

Saskatchewan Wheat Pool.

> 14. (decoy)

Participaction. (The federal government marketing physical fitness.)

> 15. Name it.

Canada Trust (before it merged with the TD Bank).

> 16. (decoy)

Ontario Northland (Transportation Commission or Railway; also
accepting NorOntair).

> 17. (decoy)

Men without Hats. (Band.) Joshua got this.

> 18. (decoy)

The Montreal subway (Metro).

> 19. (decoy)

Foodland Ontario. (The provincial government marketing local farm
products.)

> 20. (That's the unnumbered one, of course.) Name it.

National Film Board of Canada ("NFB" or "ONF" was sufficient).
4 for Joshua.

> 21. (decoy)

Canadian Airlines International. ("Canadian" was not enough.) That
was the new name for Pacific Western after it bought Canadian Pacific
Airlines (CP Air) and before it was in turn bought by Air Canada.

> 22. (decoy)

Metric Commission.

> 23. (decoy)

Toronto Zoo (or Metropolitan Toronto Zoo, as it was).

> 24. Name it.

National Bank of Canada (or Banque Nationale). (One of the smaller
commercial banks, not to be confused with #27.)

> 25. Name it.

Canadian Pacific Railway ("CP" or "CPR" was sufficient).

> 26. (decoy)

Société des alcools du Québec. (Provincial liquor stores.)

> 27. (decoy)

Bank of Canada.

> 28. (decoy)

Parks Canada. (National parks.)

> 29. Name it.

Girl Guides of Canada. (Not "Girl Scouts".)

> 30. Name it.

The 1988 Winter Olympics in Calgary. The year or city was required.
4 for Pete. 3 for Joshua.

> 31. (decoy)

Steinberg. (Supermarket chain.)

> 32. Name it.

Credit Union Central of Canada. (Any reference to credit unions
was sufficient.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 1 ROUNDS-> 2 3 TOTALS
TOPICS-> Ent Can
Joshua Kreitzer 40 7 47
Gareth Owen 32 0 32
Dan Blum 32 0 32
Marc Dashevsky 32 0 32
Pete Gayde 24 4 28
"Calvin" 12 0 12
Dan Tilque 12 0 12
Björn Lundin 0 0 0

--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "I don't _want_ people using Linux for ideological
m...@vex.net | reasons. I think ideology sucks." -- Torvalds