QFTCISG Game 3, Rounds 7-8: last film, Japan-ese

Mark Brader

Oct 25, 2017, 2:29:08 AM10/25/17
These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2017-10-02,
and should be interpreted accordingly.

Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

All questions were written by members of Smith & Guessin' and are
used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information see
my 2017-09-25 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

* Game 3, Round 7 - Entertainment - Last Film Roles

In each case name the relevant actor or actress. Surnames are
sufficient for all answers.

1. This two-time Oscar winner got a Razzie for her last movie role,
in the movie adaptation of "The Flintstones". She died in 2011
at age 79.

2. While he was known primarily as a silent-era comedian, his last
film role was as Erronius in "A Funny Thing Happened on the
Way to the Forum". He died in 1966 at age 70.

3. This actor's last role was "Giant". He died in 1955 age 24
after getting in a car accident.

4. Her last film role was "The Misfits"; she died at age 36 in 1962
due to a drug overdose.

5. This comedian's last film was "Canadian Bacon". The actor died
in 1994 at age 43 of a heart attack

6. This comedian's last film role was alongside Dan Aykroyd in
"Neighbors". He died in 1982 at age 33 from combined drug
intoxication.

7. When this actor died in 2008 at age 28, he had not yet completed
filming "The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus", so director
Terry Gilliam and friends of the deceased actor had to reshoot
certain scenes to make it more coherent. Name the actor.

8. His last role was in the third "Night at the Museum" movie,
playing president Theodore Roosevelt. He passed away at
age 63 in 2014.

9. His last film role was in "Network". He died in 1977 at age 60.

10. His last role was in "The Harder They Fall". He passed away
in 1957 at age 57.

* Game 3, Round 8 - Miscellaneous - Japan-Ese

We described the actual Japanese meaning of a Japanese word commonly
used in the English language; you give that word.

1. Tray gardening.
2. Empty orchestra.
3. Great prince or high commander.
4. Empty hand.
5. Picture letter.
6. Human-pulled wagon.
7. Japanese knight.
8. Finger pressure.
9. Divine wind.
10. Head or chief.

--
Mark Brader "It is hard to be brave", said Piglet, sniffing
Toronto slightly, "when you're only a Very Small Animal."

Dan Blum

Oct 25, 2017, 9:52:53 AM10/25/17
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 3, Round 7 - Entertainment - Last Film Roles

> 2. While he was known primarily as a silent-era comedian, his last
> film role was as Erronius in "A Funny Thing Happened on the
> Way to the Forum". He died in 1966 at age 70.

Buster Keaton

> 3. This actor's last role was "Giant". He died in 1955 age 24
> after getting in a car accident.

James Dean

> 4. Her last film role was "The Misfits"; she died at age 36 in 1962
> due to a drug overdose.

Marilyn Monroe

> 5. This comedian's last film was "Canadian Bacon". The actor died
> in 1994 at age 43 of a heart attack

John Candy

> 6. This comedian's last film role was alongside Dan Aykroyd in
> "Neighbors". He died in 1982 at age 33 from combined drug
> intoxication.

John Belushi

> 7. When this actor died in 2008 at age 28, he had not yet completed
> filming "The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus", so director
> Terry Gilliam and friends of the deceased actor had to reshoot
> certain scenes to make it more coherent. Name the actor.

Heath Ledger

> 8. His last role was in the third "Night at the Museum" movie,
> playing president Theodore Roosevelt. He passed away at
> age 63 in 2014.

Robin Williams

> * Game 3, Round 8 - Miscellaneous - Japan-Ese

> 1. Tray gardening.

bonsai

> 2. Empty orchestra.

kabuki

> 3. Great prince or high commander.

daimyo; shogun

> 4. Empty hand.

karate

> 5. Picture letter.

kanji

> 7. Japanese knight.

samurai

> 8. Finger pressure.

shiatsu

> 9. Divine wind.

kamikaze

> 10. Head or chief.

shogun; daimyo

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

swp

Oct 25, 2017, 7:42:25 PM10/25/17
On Wednesday, October 25, 2017 at 2:29:08 AM UTC-4, Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2017-10-02,
> and should be interpreted accordingly.

noted

> * Game 3, Round 7 - Entertainment - Last Film Roles
>
> In each case name the relevant actor or actress. Surnames are
> sufficient for all answers.
>
> 1. This two-time Oscar winner got a Razzie for her last movie role,
> in the movie adaptation of "The Flintstones". She died in 2011
> at age 79.

liz taylor

> 2. While he was known primarily as a silent-era comedian, his last
> film role was as Erronius in "A Funny Thing Happened on the
> Way to the Forum". He died in 1966 at age 70.

buster keaton

> 3. This actor's last role was "Giant". He died in 1955 age 24
> after getting in a car accident.

james dean

> 4. Her last film role was "The Misfits"; she died at age 36 in 1962
> due to a drug overdose.

marilyn monroe

> 5. This comedian's last film was "Canadian Bacon". The actor died
> in 1994 at age 43 of a heart attack

john candy

> 6. This comedian's last film role was alongside Dan Aykroyd in
> "Neighbors". He died in 1982 at age 33 from combined drug
> intoxication.

john belushi

> 7. When this actor died in 2008 at age 28, he had not yet completed
> filming "The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus", so director
> Terry Gilliam and friends of the deceased actor had to reshoot
> certain scenes to make it more coherent. Name the actor.

heath ledger

> 8. His last role was in the third "Night at the Museum" movie,
> playing president Theodore Roosevelt. He passed away at
> age 63 in 2014.

robin williams

> 9. His last film role was in "Network". He died in 1977 at age 60.

peter finch

> 10. His last role was in "The Harder They Fall". He passed away
> in 1957 at age 57.

humphrey bogart

> * Game 3, Round 8 - Miscellaneous - Japan-Ese
>
> We described the actual Japanese meaning of a Japanese word commonly
> used in the English language; you give that word.
>
> 1. Tray gardening.

bonsai

> 2. Empty orchestra.

karaoke

> 3. Great prince or high commander.

tycoon

> 4. Empty hand.

karate

> 5. Picture letter.

emoji

> 6. Human-pulled wagon.

rickshaw

> 7. Japanese knight.

samuri

> 8. Finger pressure.

acupressure

> 9. Divine wind.

kamikaze

> 10. Head or chief.

honcho

swp

Joshua Kreitzer

Oct 25, 2017, 10:49:22 PM10/25/17
On Wednesday, October 25, 2017 at 1:29:08 AM UTC-5, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 3, Round 7 - Entertainment - Last Film Roles
>
> In each case name the relevant actor or actress. Surnames are
> sufficient for all answers.
>
> 1. This two-time Oscar winner got a Razzie for her last movie role,
> in the movie adaptation of "The Flintstones". She died in 2011
> at age 79.

Elizabeth Taylor

> 2. While he was known primarily as a silent-era comedian, his last
> film role was as Erronius in "A Funny Thing Happened on the
> Way to the Forum". He died in 1966 at age 70.

Buster Keaton

> 3. This actor's last role was "Giant". He died in 1955 age 24
> after getting in a car accident.

James Dean

> 4. Her last film role was "The Misfits"; she died at age 36 in 1962
> due to a drug overdose.

Marilyn Monroe

> 5. This comedian's last film was "Canadian Bacon". The actor died
> in 1994 at age 43 of a heart attack

John Candy

> 6. This comedian's last film role was alongside Dan Aykroyd in
> "Neighbors". He died in 1982 at age 33 from combined drug
> intoxication.

John Belushi

> 7. When this actor died in 2008 at age 28, he had not yet completed
> filming "The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus", so director
> Terry Gilliam and friends of the deceased actor had to reshoot
> certain scenes to make it more coherent. Name the actor.

Heath Ledger

> 9. His last film role was in "Network". He died in 1977 at age 60.

Peter Finch

> 10. His last role was in "The Harder They Fall". He passed away
> in 1957 at age 57.

Humphrey Bogart

> * Game 3, Round 8 - Miscellaneous - Japan-Ese
>
> We described the actual Japanese meaning of a Japanese word commonly
> used in the English language; you give that word.
>
> 1. Tray gardening.

bonsai

> 2. Empty orchestra.

karaoke

> 3. Great prince or high commander.

shogun

> 4. Empty hand.

karate

> 5. Picture letter.

emoji

> 6. Human-pulled wagon.

rickshaw

> 7. Japanese knight.

samurai

> 8. Finger pressure.

reiki

> 9. Divine wind.

kamikaze

> 10. Head or chief.

shogun

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

Jason Kreitzer

Oct 25, 2017, 11:13:07 PM10/25/17
On Wednesday, October 25, 2017 at 2:29:08 AM UTC-4, Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2017-10-02,

> Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of Smith & Guessin' and are
> used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
> been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information see
> my 2017-09-25 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 3, Round 7 - Entertainment - Last Film Roles
>
> In each case name the relevant actor or actress. Surnames are
> sufficient for all answers.
>
> 1. This two-time Oscar winner got a Razzie for her last movie role,
> in the movie adaptation of "The Flintstones". She died in 2011
> at age 79.
Elizabeth Taylor
> 2. While he was known primarily as a silent-era comedian, his last
> film role was as Erronius in "A Funny Thing Happened on the
> Way to the Forum". He died in 1966 at age 70.
>
> 3. This actor's last role was "Giant". He died in 1955 age 24
> after getting in a car accident.
James Dean
> 4. Her last film role was "The Misfits"; she died at age 36 in 1962
> due to a drug overdose.
Marilyn Monroe
> 5. This comedian's last film was "Canadian Bacon". The actor died
> in 1994 at age 43 of a heart attack
John Candy
> 6. This comedian's last film role was alongside Dan Aykroyd in
> "Neighbors". He died in 1982 at age 33 from combined drug
> intoxication.
John Belushi
> 7. When this actor died in 2008 at age 28, he had not yet completed
> filming "The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus", so director
> Terry Gilliam and friends of the deceased actor had to reshoot
> certain scenes to make it more coherent. Name the actor.
>
> 8. His last role was in the third "Night at the Museum" movie,
> playing president Theodore Roosevelt. He passed away at
> age 63 in 2014.
Robin Williams
> 9. His last film role was in "Network". He died in 1977 at age 60.
Peter Finch
> 10. His last role was in "The Harder They Fall". He passed away
> in 1957 at age 57.
Humphrey Bogart

> * Game 3, Round 8 - Miscellaneous - Japan-Ese
>
> We described the actual Japanese meaning of a Japanese word commonly
> used in the English language; you give that word.
>
> 1. Tray gardening.
> 2. Empty orchestra.
Karaoke
> 3. Great prince or high commander.
> 4. Empty hand.
Karate
> 5. Picture letter.
Kanji
> 6. Human-pulled wagon.
Rickshaw
> 7. Japanese knight.
Samurai
> 8. Finger pressure.
> 9. Divine wind.
Tsunami
> 10. Head or chief.
Majordomo

Peter Smyth

Oct 26, 2017, 1:11:56 PM10/26/17
Mark Brader wrote:

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2017-10-02,

> Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of Smith & Guessin' and are
> used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
> been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information see
> my 2017-09-25 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 3, Round 7 - Entertainment - Last Film Roles
>
> In each case name the relevant actor or actress. Surnames are
> sufficient for all answers.
>
> 1. This two-time Oscar winner got a Razzie for her last movie role,
> in the movie adaptation of "The Flintstones". She died in 2011
> at age 79.
Elizabeth Taylor
> 2. While he was known primarily as a silent-era comedian, his last
> film role was as Erronius in "A Funny Thing Happened on the
> Way to the Forum". He died in 1966 at age 70.
Buster Keaton
> 3. This actor's last role was "Giant". He died in 1955 age 24
> after getting in a car accident.
James Dean
> 4. Her last film role was "The Misfits"; she died at age 36 in 1962
> due to a drug overdose.
Marilyn Monroe
> 5. This comedian's last film was "Canadian Bacon". The actor died
> in 1994 at age 43 of a heart attack
John Candy
> 6. This comedian's last film role was alongside Dan Aykroyd in
> "Neighbors". He died in 1982 at age 33 from combined drug
> intoxication.
John Belushi
> 7. When this actor died in 2008 at age 28, he had not yet completed
> filming "The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus", so director
> Terry Gilliam and friends of the deceased actor had to reshoot
> certain scenes to make it more coherent. Name the actor.
Heath Ledger
> 8. His last role was in the third "Night at the Museum" movie,
> playing president Theodore Roosevelt. He passed away at
> age 63 in 2014.
>
> 9. His last film role was in "Network". He died in 1977 at age 60.
>
> 10. His last role was in "The Harder They Fall". He passed away
> in 1957 at age 57.
John Wayne

> * Game 3, Round 8 - Miscellaneous - Japan-Ese
>
> We described the actual Japanese meaning of a Japanese word commonly
> used in the English language; you give that word.
>
> 1. Tray gardening.
Bonsai
> 2. Empty orchestra.
> 3. Great prince or high commander.
Shogun
> 4. Empty hand.
> 5. Picture letter.
> 6. Human-pulled wagon.
> 7. Japanese knight.
Samurai
> 8. Finger pressure.
> 9. Divine wind.
> 10. Head or chief.
Shogun

Peter Smyth

Gareth Owen

Oct 26, 2017, 1:23:55 PM10/26/17
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) writes:

> 1. This two-time Oscar winner got a Razzie for her last movie role,
> in the movie adaptation of "The Flintstones". She died in 2011
> at age 79.

Liz Taylor

> 2. While he was known primarily as a silent-era comedian, his last
> film role was as Erronius in "A Funny Thing Happened on the
> Way to the Forum". He died in 1966 at age 70.

Buster Keaton?

> 3. This actor's last role was "Giant". He died in 1955 age 24
> after getting in a car accident.

James Dean

> 4. Her last film role was "The Misfits"; she died at age 36 in 1962
> due to a drug overdose.

Marilyn Monroe

> 5. This comedian's last film was "Canadian Bacon". The actor died
> in 1994 at age 43 of a heart attack

John Candy

> 6. This comedian's last film role was alongside Dan Aykroyd in
> "Neighbors". He died in 1982 at age 33 from combined drug
> intoxication.

John Belushi

> 7. When this actor died in 2008 at age 28, he had not yet completed
> filming "The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus", so director
> Terry Gilliam and friends of the deceased actor had to reshoot
> certain scenes to make it more coherent. Name the actor.

Heath Ledger

> 8. His last role was in the third "Night at the Museum" movie,
> playing president Theodore Roosevelt. He passed away at
> age 63 in 2014.

Robin Williams

> 9. His last film role was in "Network". He died in 1977 at age 60.

Peter ... something

> 10. His last role was in "The Harder They Fall". He passed away
> in 1957 at age 57.

Humphrey Bogart

> * Game 3, Round 8 - Miscellaneous - Japan-Ese
>
> We described the actual Japanese meaning of a Japanese word commonly
> used in the English language; you give that word.
>
> 1. Tray gardening.

Bonsai?

> 2. Empty orchestra.

Karaoke

> 3. Great prince or high commander.

Shogun

> 4. Empty hand.

Karate

> 5. Picture letter.

Emoji?

> 6. Human-pulled wagon.

Rickshaw?

> 7. Japanese knight.

Samurai

> 8. Finger pressure.

Shiatzu?

> 9. Divine wind.

Kamikaze

Erland Sommarskog

Oct 26, 2017, 3:07:29 PM10/26/17
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:

> * Game 3, Round 8 - Miscellaneous - Japan-Ese
>
> We described the actual Japanese meaning of a Japanese word commonly
> used in the English language; you give that word.
>
> 1. Tray gardening.

Bento

> 2. Empty orchestra.

Karaoke

> 3. Great prince or high commander.

Shogun

> 4. Empty hand.

Karate

> 5. Picture letter.

Kanji

> 7. Japanese knight.

Samurai

> 9. Divine wind.

Kamikaze

> 10. Head or chief.

Shogun

Pete Gayde

Oct 26, 2017, 7:30:31 PM10/26/17
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:Q_2dnTTgKbKysm3EnZ2dnUU7-
V3N...@giganews.com:

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2017-10-02,

> Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of Smith & Guessin' and are
> used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
> been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information see
> my 2017-09-25 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 3, Round 7 - Entertainment - Last Film Roles
>
> In each case name the relevant actor or actress. Surnames are
> sufficient for all answers.
>
> 1. This two-time Oscar winner got a Razzie for her last movie role,
> in the movie adaptation of "The Flintstones". She died in 2011
> at age 79.

Elizabeth Taylor

> 2. While he was known primarily as a silent-era comedian, his last
> film role was as Erronius in "A Funny Thing Happened on the
> Way to the Forum". He died in 1966 at age 70.

Keaton

> 3. This actor's last role was "Giant". He died in 1955 age 24
> after getting in a car accident.

James Dean

> 4. Her last film role was "The Misfits"; she died at age 36 in 1962
> due to a drug overdose.

Marilyn Monroe

> 5. This comedian's last film was "Canadian Bacon". The actor died
> in 1994 at age 43 of a heart attack

John Candy

> 6. This comedian's last film role was alongside Dan Aykroyd in
> "Neighbors". He died in 1982 at age 33 from combined drug
> intoxication.

John Belushi

> 7. When this actor died in 2008 at age 28, he had not yet completed
> filming "The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus", so director
> Terry Gilliam and friends of the deceased actor had to reshoot
> certain scenes to make it more coherent. Name the actor.
>
> 8. His last role was in the third "Night at the Museum" movie,
> playing president Theodore Roosevelt. He passed away at
> age 63 in 2014.

Robin Williams

> 9. His last film role was in "Network". He died in 1977 at age 60.

Peter Finch

> 10. His last role was in "The Harder They Fall". He passed away
> in 1957 at age 57.

Errol Flynn

> * Game 3, Round 8 - Miscellaneous - Japan-Ese
>
> We described the actual Japanese meaning of a Japanese word commonly
> used in the English language; you give that word.
>
> 1. Tray gardening.

Bonsai

> 2. Empty orchestra.
> 3. Great prince or high commander.

Majordomo

> 4. Empty hand.

Karate

> 5. Picture letter.
> 6. Human-pulled wagon.

Rickshaw

> 7. Japanese knight.

Samurai

> 8. Finger pressure.
> 9. Divine wind.

Kamikaze

> 10. Head or chief.

Sensei

Pete Gayde

Calvin

Oct 26, 2017, 9:34:08 PM10/26/17
On Wednesday, October 25, 2017 at 4:29:08 PM UTC+10, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 3, Round 7 - Entertainment - Last Film Roles
>
> In each case name the relevant actor or actress. Surnames are
> sufficient for all answers.
>
> 1. This two-time Oscar winner got a Razzie for her last movie role,
> in the movie adaptation of "The Flintstones". She died in 2011
> at age 79.

Hepburn

> 2. While he was known primarily as a silent-era comedian, his last
> film role was as Erronius in "A Funny Thing Happened on the
> Way to the Forum". He died in 1966 at age 70.

Keaton, Chaplin

> 3. This actor's last role was "Giant". He died in 1955 age 24
> after getting in a car accident.

Dean

> 4. Her last film role was "The Misfits"; she died at age 36 in 1962
> due to a drug overdose.

Monroe

> 5. This comedian's last film was "Canadian Bacon". The actor died
> in 1994 at age 43 of a heart attack

Candy

> 6. This comedian's last film role was alongside Dan Aykroyd in
> "Neighbors". He died in 1982 at age 33 from combined drug
> intoxication.

Belushi

> 7. When this actor died in 2008 at age 28, he had not yet completed
> filming "The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus", so director
> Terry Gilliam and friends of the deceased actor had to reshoot
> certain scenes to make it more coherent. Name the actor.

Phoenix

> 8. His last role was in the third "Night at the Museum" movie,
> playing president Theodore Roosevelt. He passed away at
> age 63 in 2014.

dunno

> 9. His last film role was in "Network". He died in 1977 at age 60.

Finch

> 10. His last role was in "The Harder They Fall". He passed away
> in 1957 at age 57.

Bogart

> * Game 3, Round 8 - Miscellaneous - Japan-Ese
>
> We described the actual Japanese meaning of a Japanese word commonly
> used in the English language; you give that word.
>
> 1. Tray gardening.

Bonsai

> 2. Empty orchestra.

Karaoke

> 3. Great prince or high commander.

Mikado, Poobah

> 4. Empty hand.

Karate

> 5. Picture letter.

> 6. Human-pulled wagon.

Rickshaw?

> 7. Japanese knight.

Samurai

> 8. Finger pressure.

name won;t come...

> 9. Divine wind.

Kamikaze

> 10. Head or chief.

Mikado, Poobah

cheers,
calvin

Mark Brader

Oct 28, 2017, 2:42:12 AM10/28/17
Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2017-10-02,
> see my 2017-09-25 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

> * Game 3, Round 7 - Entertainment - Last Film Roles

> In each case name the relevant actor or actress. Surnames are
> sufficient for all answers.

> 1. This two-time Oscar winner got a Razzie for her last movie role,
> in the movie adaptation of "The Flintstones". She died in 2011
> at age 79.

Elizabeth Taylor. 4 for Stephen, Joshua, Jason, Peter, Gareth,
and Pete.

> 2. While he was known primarily as a silent-era comedian, his last
> film role was as Erronius in "A Funny Thing Happened on the
> Way to the Forum". He died in 1966 at age 70.

Buster Keaton. 4 for Dan, Stephen, Joshua, Peter, Gareth, and Pete.
3 for Calvin.

> 3. This actor's last role was "Giant". He died in 1955 age 24
> after getting in a car accident.

James Dean. 4 for Dan, Stephen, Joshua, Jason, Peter, Gareth,
Pete, and Calvin.

> 4. Her last film role was "The Misfits"; she died at age 36 in 1962
> due to a drug overdose.

Marilyn Monroe. 4 for Dan, Stephen, Joshua, Jason, Peter, Gareth,
Pete, and Calvin.

> 5. This comedian's last film was "Canadian Bacon". The actor died
> in 1994 at age 43 of a heart attack

John Candy. 4 for Dan, Stephen, Joshua, Jason, Peter, Gareth,
Pete, and Calvin.

> 6. This comedian's last film role was alongside Dan Aykroyd in
> "Neighbors". He died in 1982 at age 33 from combined drug
> intoxication.

John Belushi. 4 for Dan, Stephen, Joshua, Jason, Peter, Gareth,
Pete, and Calvin.

> 7. When this actor died in 2008 at age 28, he had not yet completed
> filming "The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus", so director
> Terry Gilliam and friends of the deceased actor had to reshoot
> certain scenes to make it more coherent. Name the actor.

Heath Ledger. 4 for Dan, Stephen, Joshua, Peter, and Gareth.

> 8. His last role was in the third "Night at the Museum" movie,
> playing president Theodore Roosevelt. He passed away at
> age 63 in 2014.

Robin Williams. 4 for Dan, Stephen, Jason, Gareth, and Pete.

> 9. His last film role was in "Network". He died in 1977 at age 60.

Peter Finch. 4 for Stephen, Joshua, Jason, Pete, and Calvin.

> 10. His last role was in "The Harder They Fall". He passed away
> in 1957 at age 57.

Humphrey Bogart. 4 for Stephen, Joshua, Jason, Gareth, and Calvin.

> * Game 3, Round 8 - Miscellaneous - Japan-Ese

> We described the actual Japanese meaning of a Japanese word commonly
> used in the English language; you give that word.

This round was problematic in that some of the questions were based
more on the English meaning of the word than its Japanese etymology.
I fixed a couple before posting, but there are others that I didn't
think about. Apologies if anyone was misled, but I think the bad
questions actually were probably easier than the others.

A further problem was the word "shogun", which is Japanese for
a general (from roots meaning "support" and "army"). It was not
the intended answer to any question, but I decided that "general"
was close enough to both "high commander" and "chief" to consider
accepting it for both #3 and #10. I decided that I did have to accept
it for #3; for #10, I decided to score it as "almost correct", but
only for entrants who did not also give it for #3 -- and that meant
no one.

> 1. Tray gardening.

Bonsai. 4 for Dan, Stephen, Joshua, Peter, Gareth, Pete, and Calvin.

> 2. Empty orchestra.

Karaoke. 4 for Stephen, Joshua, Jason, Gareth, Erland, and Calvin.

> 3. Great prince or high commander.

"Tycoon" (in a less anglicized spelling it'd be "taikun"); also
accepting "shogun". 4 for Stephen, Joshua, Peter, Gareth, and Erland.
2 for Dan.

> 4. Empty hand.

Karate. 4 for Dan, Stephen, Joshua, Jason, Gareth, Erland, Pete,
and Calvin.

> 5. Picture letter.

Emoji. (Not kanji, which is "Chinese letter".) 4 for Stephen,
Joshua, and Gareth.

> 6. Human-pulled wagon.

Rickshaw. 4 for Stephen, Joshua, Jason, Gareth, Pete, and Calvin.

A better translation of the Japenese would have been "person-strength
wagon". Or really just "strength wagon", because the longer form
becomes "jinricksha" in English, and "rickshaw" is a shortened
version of this.

> 7. Japanese knight.

Samurai. 4 for everyone -- Dan, Stephen, Joshua, Jason, Peter,
Gareth, Erland, Pete, and Calvin.

A better translation of the etymology would have been just "warrior".

> 8. Finger pressure.

Shiatsu. 4 for Dan and Gareth.

> 9. Divine wind.

Kamikaze. 4 for Dan, Stephen, Joshua, Gareth, Erland, Pete,
and Calvin.

> 10. Head or chief.

Honcho. For "shogun", see above. 4 for Stephen.

A better translation of the etymology would have been "squad leader"
or "squad chief".

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 3 ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 6 7 8 BEST
TOPICS-> Can Geo Lit Spo Ent Mis FOUR
Stephen Perry -- -- 40 40 40 36 156
Joshua Kreitzer 8 32 36 40 36 32 144
Gareth Owen -- -- 32 33 36 36 137
"Calvin" 9 26 8 36 27 24 113
Peter Smyth 8 29 4 40 28 12 109
Dan Blum 7 16 32 20 28 22 102
Pete Gayde 0 9 16 32 32 20 100
Erland Sommarskog 0 28 7 29 0 20 84
Dan Tilque 4 24 20 28 -- -- 76
Jason Kreitzer 0 4 8 8 32 16 64
Marc Dashevsky -- -- 32 0 -- -- 32

--
Mark Brader, Toronto "These Millennia are like buses."
m...@vex.net --Arwel Parry

Erland Sommarskog

Oct 28, 2017, 5:28:29 AM10/28/17
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
>> 6. Human-pulled wagon.
>
> Rickshaw. 4 for Stephen, Joshua, Jason, Gareth, Pete, and Calvin.
>
> A better translation of the Japenese would have been "person-strength
> wagon". Or really just "strength wagon", because the longer form
> becomes "jinricksha" in English, and "rickshaw" is a shortened
> version of this.

That goes to show that sometimes you can know too much. I thought of
"rickshaw", but dismissed it since it does fit in with Japanese
phonology, at least not how words are normally written(*), and nor
does "jinricksha". But there can obviously been some phonetic
alterings on the way.

(*) Along the railway between Osaka and Hiroshima, there is a city
Kurashiki. But the actual pronounciation that I observed in the
loudspeakers in nearby Okayama was "Kurashki".

Erland Sommarskog

Oct 28, 2017, 7:46:43 AM10/28/17
Wikipedia suggests that the original Japanese word is "jinrikisha". The
form "jinricksha" that Mark gave above agrees well with the pattern
in my example about Kurashiki.