QFTCISG Final, Round 3: Arts and Literature

Mark Brader

Jan 29, 2018, 1:50:31 AM1/29/18
These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2017-12-05,
and should be interpreted accordingly.

Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

All questions were written by members of Smith & Guessin' and are
used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information see
my 2017-09-25 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

** Final, Round 3 - Arts and Literature

That is: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr3/al.jpg

* Cats and Literature

These are cats from literature. Really! Name them.

1. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr3/cat/1.jpg
2. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr3/cat/2.jpg
3. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr3/cat/3.jpg

* The Group of Seven

These are self-portraits. Of which member of the group, in
each case?

4. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr3/7/4.jpg
5. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr3/7/5.jpg
6. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr3/7/6.jpg

* Have a Seat

In each case, name the designer of the chair.

7. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr3/sit/7.jpg
8. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr3/sit/8.jpg
9. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr3/sit/9.jpg

* Science-Fiction Trilogies

We name the first two books; you name the third. Full titles
are required. Note: some of the "trilogies" may later have been
extended with additional books.

10. "2001: A Space Odyssey"; "2010: Odyssey 2".
11. "Dune", "Dune Messiah".
12. "Foundation", "Foundation and Empire".

* Toronto Sculpture

For each one, name *either* the sculpture *or* the artist.

13. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr3/stat/13.jpg
14. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr3/stat/14.jpg
15. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr3/stat/15.jpg

--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "If you want a 20th century solution, the
m...@vex.net | obvious answer is helicopters!" -- Bob Scheurle

Joshua Kreitzer

Jan 29, 2018, 2:16:33 AM1/29/18
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:rY2dnY-4W4yvWfPHnZ2dnUU7-
I3N...@giganews.com:

> * Cats and Literature
>
> These are cats from literature. Really! Name them.
>
> 1. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr3/cat/1.jpg

Catbert

> 2. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr3/cat/2.jpg

Bill the Cat

> 3. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr3/cat/3.jpg

Hobbes

> * Science-Fiction Trilogies
>
> We name the first two books; you name the third. Full titles
> are required. Note: some of the "trilogies" may later have been
> extended with additional books.
>
> 10. "2001: A Space Odyssey"; "2010: Odyssey 2".

"3001"

> 11. "Dune", "Dune Messiah".

"God Emperor of Dune"

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

Marc Dashevsky

Jan 29, 2018, 6:51:16 AM1/29/18
In article <rY2dnY-4W4yvWfPH...@giganews.com>, m...@vex.net says...
> ** Final, Round 3 - Arts and Literature
>
> That is: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr3/al.jpg
>
> * Cats and Literature
>
> These are cats from literature. Really! Name them.
>
> 1. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr3/cat/1.jpg
> * The Group of Seven
>
> These are self-portraits. Of which member of the group, in
> each case?
>
> 4. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr3/7/4.jpg
> 5. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr3/7/5.jpg
> 6. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr3/7/6.jpg
>

> * Have a Seat
>
> In each case, name the designer of the chair.
>
> 7. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr3/sit/7.jpg
Morris

> 8. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr3/sit/8.jpg
> 9. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr3/sit/9.jpg
>

> * Science-Fiction Trilogies
>
> We name the first two books; you name the third. Full titles
> are required. Note: some of the "trilogies" may later have been
> extended with additional books.
>
> 10. "2001: A Space Odyssey"; "2010: Odyssey 2".
> 11. "Dune", "Dune Messiah".
Children of Dune

> 12. "Foundation", "Foundation and Empire".
The Second Foundation

> * Toronto Sculpture
>
> For each one, name *either* the sculpture *or* the artist.
>
> 13. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr3/stat/13.jpg
> 14. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr3/stat/14.jpg
> 15. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr3/stat/15.jpg

Dan Blum

Jan 29, 2018, 9:59:09 AM1/29/18
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> ** Final, Round 3 - Arts and Literature

> * Cats and Literature
> * The Group of Seven

> 4. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr3/7/4.jpg

Warhol

> 5. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr3/7/5.jpg

Hockney

> 6. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr3/7/6.jpg

Pollock

> * Have a Seat

> 7. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr3/sit/7.jpg

Eames

> 8. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr3/sit/8.jpg

Wright

> 9. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr3/sit/9.jpg

Eames

> * Science-Fiction Trilogies

> 10. "2001: A Space Odyssey"; "2010: Odyssey 2".

2100: The Year We Make Contact

> 11. "Dune", "Dune Messiah".

Children of Dune

> 12. "Foundation", "Foundation and Empire".

Second Foundation

> * Toronto Sculpture

> 13. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr3/stat/13.jpg

Toy Soldiers

> 15. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr3/stat/15.jpg

Sewing Circle; Thimble

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Bruce Bowler

Jan 29, 2018, 1:32:46 PM1/29/18
On Mon, 29 Jan 2018 00:50:26 -0600, Mark Brader wrote:

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2017-12-05, and
> should be interpreted accordingly.
>
> On each question you may give up to two answers, but if you give both a
> right answer and a wrong answer, there is a small penalty. Please post
> all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
> based only on your own knowledge. (In your answer posting, quote the
> questions and place your answer below each one.) I will reveal the
> correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of Smith & Guessin' and are used
> here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have been retyped
> and/or edited by me. For further information see my 2017-09-25
> companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> ** Final, Round 3 - Arts and Literature
>
> That is: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr3/al.jpg
>
> * Cats and Literature
>
> These are cats from literature. Really! Name them.
>
> 1. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr3/cat/1.jpg

> 3. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr3/cat/3.jpg

Hobbes

> * The Group of Seven
>
> These are self-portraits. Of which member of the group, in each case?

no clue

> * Have a Seat
>
> In each case, name the designer of the chair.
>
> 7. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr3/sit/7.jpg

Stickley

> 8. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr3/sit/8.jpg

F.L. Wright

> 9. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr3/sit/9.jpg
>

> * Science-Fiction Trilogies
>
> We name the first two books; you name the third. Full titles are
> required. Note: some of the "trilogies" may later have been extended
> with additional books.
>
> 10. "2001: A Space Odyssey"; "2010: Odyssey 2".

2061: Odyssey Three

> 11. "Dune", "Dune Messiah".
> 12. "Foundation", "Foundation and Empire".
>

> * Toronto Sculpture
>
> For each one, name *either* the sculpture *or* the artist.

no idea.

Dan Tilque

Jan 29, 2018, 3:27:43 PM1/29/18
Mark Brader wrote:

> ** Final, Round 3 - Arts and Literature
>
> That is: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr3/al.jpg
>
> * Cats and Literature
>
> These are cats from literature. Really! Name them.
>
> 1. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr3/cat/1.jpg

Catbert

> 2. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr3/cat/2.jpg

Bill the Cat

> 3. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr3/cat/3.jpg

Hobbes

> * The Group of Seven
>
> These are self-portraits. Of which member of the group, in
> each case?
>
> 4. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr3/7/4.jpg
> 5. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr3/7/5.jpg
> 6. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr3/7/6.jpg
>

> * Have a Seat
>
> In each case, name the designer of the chair.
>
> 7. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr3/sit/7.jpg
> 8. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr3/sit/8.jpg
> 9. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr3/sit/9.jpg
>

> * Science-Fiction Trilogies
>
> We name the first two books; you name the third. Full titles
> are required. Note: some of the "trilogies" may later have been
> extended with additional books.
>
> 10. "2001: A Space Odyssey"; "2010: Odyssey 2".

"2062: Odyssey III"

> 11. "Dune", "Dune Messiah".

"Children of Dune"

> 12. "Foundation", "Foundation and Empire".

"Second Foundation"

(and no "some" about it; all three series were extended to more than
three books)

> * Toronto Sculpture
>
> For each one, name *either* the sculpture *or* the artist.
>
> 13. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr3/stat/13.jpg
> 14. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr3/stat/14.jpg
> 15. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr3/stat/15.jpg

--
Dan Tilque

Pete Gayde

Jan 30, 2018, 11:49:13 AM1/30/18
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:rY2dnY-4W4yvWfPHnZ2dnUU7-
I3N...@giganews.com:

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2017-12-05,

> Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of Smith & Guessin' and are
> used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
> been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information see
> my 2017-09-25 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> ** Final, Round 3 - Arts and Literature
>
> That is: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr3/al.jpg
>
> * Cats and Literature
>
> These are cats from literature. Really! Name them.
>
> 1. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr3/cat/1.jpg

> 3. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr3/cat/3.jpg

Hobbes

> * The Group of Seven
>
> These are self-portraits. Of which member of the group, in
> each case?
>
> 4. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr3/7/4.jpg
> 5. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr3/7/5.jpg
> 6. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr3/7/6.jpg
>

> * Have a Seat
>
> In each case, name the designer of the chair.
>
> 7. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr3/sit/7.jpg

Frank Lloyd Wright

> 8. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr3/sit/8.jpg

Frank Lloyd Wright

> 9. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr3/sit/9.jpg

Frank Lloyd Wright

> * Science-Fiction Trilogies
>
> We name the first two books; you name the third. Full titles
> are required. Note: some of the "trilogies" may later have been
> extended with additional books.
>
> 10. "2001: A Space Odyssey"; "2010: Odyssey 2".
> 11. "Dune", "Dune Messiah".
> 12. "Foundation", "Foundation and Empire".
>

> * Toronto Sculpture
>
> For each one, name *either* the sculpture *or* the artist.
>
> 13. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr3/stat/13.jpg
> 14. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr3/stat/14.jpg
> 15. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr3/stat/15.jpg

Thimbles

Pete Gayde

Jason Kreitzer

Jan 31, 2018, 9:09:26 PM1/31/18
On Monday, January 29, 2018 at 1:50:31 AM UTC-5, Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2017-12-05,

> Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of Smith & Guessin' and are
> used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
> been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information see
> my 2017-09-25 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> ** Final, Round 3 - Arts and Literature
>
> That is: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr3/al.jpg
>
> * Cats and Literature
>
> These are cats from literature. Really! Name them.
>
> 1. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr3/cat/1.jpg
Catbert
> 2. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr3/cat/2.jpg
Bill the Cat
> 3. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr3/cat/3.jpg
Hobbes

Mark Brader

Feb 1, 2018, 1:05:04 AM2/1/18
Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2017-12-05,
> see my 2017-09-25 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

> ** Final, Round 3 - Arts and Literature

> That is: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr3/al.jpg

> * Cats and Literature

> These are cats from literature. Really! Name them.

> 1. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr3/cat/1.jpg

Catbert. (From "Dilbert" by Scott Adams, published since 1989.)
4 for everyone -- Joshua, Marc, Dan Blum, Bruce, Dan Tilque, Pete,
and Jason.

> 2. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr3/cat/2.jpg

Bill the Cat. (From "Bloom County", originally published 1980-89,
and other strips by Berke Breathed.) 4 for everyone.

> 3. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr3/cat/3.jpg

Hobbes. (From "Calvin & Hobbes" by Bill Watterson, published
1985-95.) 4 for everyone.

> * The Group of Seven

> These are self-portraits. Of which member of the group, in
> each case?

> 4. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr3/7/4.jpg

Frederick Varley.

> 5. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr3/7/5.jpg

Lawren Harris.

> 6. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr3/7/6.jpg

Arthur Lismer.

> * Have a Seat

> In each case, name the designer of the chair.

> 7. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr3/sit/7.jpg

Gustav Stickley. 4 for Bruce.

> 8. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr3/sit/8.jpg

Charles Rennie MacIntosh.

> 9. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr3/sit/9.jpg

Frank Lloyd Wright. 4 for Pete.

> * Science-Fiction Trilogies

> We name the first two books; you name the third. Full titles
> are required. Note: some of the "trilogies" may later have been
> extended with additional books.

Actually all of them were. The additional books by the original
authors were "3001: The Final Odyssey"; "God Emperor of Dune",
"Heretics of Dune", and "Chapterhouse: Dune"; and "Foundation's Edge",
"Foundation and Earth", "Prelude to Foundation", and "Forward the
Foundation". The "Dune" and "Foundation" series were further extended
by new authors after the original ones died.

> 10. "2001: A Space Odyssey"; "2010: Odyssey 2".

"2061: Odyssey 3". (Arthur C. Clarke.) 4 for Bruce. 3 for
Dan Tilque.

> 11. "Dune", "Dune Messiah".

"Children of Dune". (Frank Herbert.) 4 for Marc, Dan Blum,
and Dan Tilque.

> 12. "Foundation", "Foundation and Empire".

"Second Foundation". (Isaac Asimov.) 4 for Marc, Dan Blum,
and Dan Tilque.

> * Toronto Sculpture

> For each one, name *either* the sculpture *or* the artist.

> 13. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr3/stat/13.jpg

"Monument to the War of 1812", Douglas Coupland.

> 14. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr3/stat/14.jpg

"Rising", Zhang Huan.

> 15. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr3/stat/15.jpg

"Uniform/Measure Stack", Stephen Cruise.

Scores, if there are no errors:

FINAL ROUNDS-> 2 3 TOTALS
TOPICS-> His A&L
Dan Blum 37 20 57
Dan Tilque 32 23 55
Marc Dashevsky 24 20 44
Pete Gayde 18 16 34
Joshua Kreitzer 20 12 32
Erland Sommarskog 24 -- 24
Peter Smyth 21 -- 21
Bruce Bowler -- 20 20
Jason Kreitzer 8 12 20

--
Mark Brader | Does anybody seriously believe that if a bunch of horses
Toronto | saw a giant egg broken into pieces, their response would