QFTCI16 Game 1, Rounds 7-8: flatulence and suburbia

Mark Brader

Jun 18, 2016, 1:26:03 PM6/18/16
These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2016-05-16,
and should be interpreted accordingly.

Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

All questions were written by members of the Usual Suspects and
are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
see my 2016-05-31 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

I wrote one of these rounds.

* Game 1, Round 7 - Science - Flatulence will Get You Nowhere

This round concerns flatulence, also known as farting, cutting the
cheese, windiness -- and, most delightfully, trumping. And who
among us does not enjoy a good fart joke?

1. Farts are normally 99% composed of non-smelly gases such as
oxygen, nitrogen, and carbon dioxide. The remaining 1% consists
largely of what malodorous compound?

2. Farting is not to be confused with "eructation". What is *that*
phenomenon commonly known as?

3. Some of the gases present in farts are flammable, although not
all humans produce them. The flammable gases are specifically
hydrogen and what greenhouse gas?

4. In 2011, the Minister of Justice in a southern African country
proposed making public farting illegal. Name the country.

5. This country, a signatory to the Kyoto Protocol, proposed a "fart
tax" to address its uniquely high proportion of methane emissions
from livestock compared to other sources. What country is this?

6. The ability to fart at will has been used to entertain for
centuries. It is referenced as early as the fifth century\ AD
in a certain saintly work. Name *either* the work or the author.

7. The sound made by flatulence depends on what configuration of
the acoustic orifice? Hint: the same word also refers to the way
brass and woodwind players apply the mouth to their instrument,
so that it pertains to both flautists and flatulists.

8. This famous performer of the 19th century did flatulence
impressions. Some of the highlights of his stage act involved
sound effects of cannon fire and thunderstorms, as well as
playing "O Sole Mio" and "La Marseillaise" on an ocarina through
a rubber tube in his anus. He could also blow out a candle from
several yards away. Give either his stage name or his real name.

9. In 1998, Chester "Buck" Weimer of Pueblo, Colorado, received
a patent for the first undergarment to contain a replaceable
charcoal filter. In 2001 this invention won him a prize
described as honoring "achievements that first make people
laugh, and then make them think". Name this *prize*, which was
also formerly described as being for discoveries "that cannot,
or should not, be reproduced".

10. The slang term "queef" refers to the expulsion of air from
which organ?

* Game 1, Round 8 - Geography - North American Suburbs

As we use the term in this round, a "suburb" is typically a city or
town that is legally an incorporated municipality, but is not the
major city in its metropolitan area. Some places that do not meet
this description will be mentioned explicitly. Note that suburbs
may lie across a state or provincial boundary from the major city.

In all cases we are interested in current place names and
boundaries, or at least, current as of the relevant census date.

1. Phoenix has over 1,400,000 residents in the city proper, but it
also has 5 suburbs that are either adjacent to the city or nearly
adjacent, and have at least 200,000 people each. Name *any one*
of these.

2. New York City has about 8,200,000 residents in the 5 boroughs
that make up the city proper. Its three largest suburbs are
all adjacent to the city and each have over 190,000 people
according to the 2010 census. Name *any one* of the three.
Hint: none of them are east of the city.

3. Name the Canadian city whose suburbs include Delta, Richmond,
and Surrey.

4. This Canadian city's largest suburb, the District Municipality
of Saanich, has more population than the city itself. Another
suburb is Esquimalt. Name the city.

5. The city of Washington has about 600,000 residents. Its two
largest suburban communities each have over 100,000 and are
adjacent to Washington. Like Washington itself, one of the two
does not actually have the legal status of "city". Name *either*
one of these two suburbs.

6. Boston also has about 600,000 residents. Of the suburbs that
are adjacent to the city, the 5 largest have populations of at
least 50,000 in the 2010 census. Name *any one* of them.

7. As of the 2011 census, there are 812,000 people in Ottawa,
and 242,000 in its largest suburb. Name that suburb.

8. As of the 2011 census, Toronto has 2,500,000 residents and has
6 suburbs with over 150,000 each. Mississauga is the
largest by population, with almost 670,000 people; name the
*second*-largest, with over 430,000.

9. Name the US city whose suburbs include Burbank, Glendale,
Irvine, Pasadena, and Santa Ana.

10. Name the US city whose suburbs include Aurora, Cicero, Evanston,
Gary, and Naperville.

After completing the round, please decode the rot13:
Vs lbh fnvq "Uhyy" sbe gur fhoheo bs Bggnjn, jr arrq n
yrff fcrpvsvp nafjre. Cyrnfr fhofgvghgr bar.
--
Mark Brader "A facility for quotation covers the absence
Toronto of original thought" -- Lord Peter Wimsey

Björn Lundin

Jun 18, 2016, 2:36:09 PM6/18/16
On 2016-06-18 19:25, Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2016-05-16,

> Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of the Usual Suspects and
> are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
> have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
> see my 2016-05-31 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> I wrote one of these rounds.
>

> * Game 1, Round 7 - Science - Flatulence will Get You Nowhere
>
> This round concerns flatulence, also known as farting, cutting the
> cheese, windiness -- and, most delightfully, trumping. And who
> among us does not enjoy a good fart joke?
>
> 1. Farts are normally 99% composed of non-smelly gases such as
> oxygen, nitrogen, and carbon dioxide. The remaining 1% consists
> largely of what malodorous compound?

sulphur dioxide ?

> 3. Some of the gases present in farts are flammable, although not
> all humans produce them. The flammable gases are specifically
> hydrogen and what greenhouse gas?

Methane

> 4. In 2011, the Minister of Justice in a southern African country
> proposed making public farting illegal. Name the country.

Zimbabwe; Mocambique

> 5. This country, a signatory to the Kyoto Protocol, proposed a "fart
> tax" to address its uniquely high proportion of methane emissions
> from livestock compared to other sources. What country is this?

Argentina; Brazil

> 6. The ability to fart at will has been used to entertain for
> centuries. It is referenced as early as the fifth century\ AD
> in a certain saintly work. Name *either* the work or the author.

S:t Augustine

> 7. The sound made by flatulence depends on what configuration of
> the acoustic orifice? Hint: the same word also refers to the way
> brass and woodwind players apply the mouth to their instrument,
> so that it pertains to both flautists and flatulists.

The tension of the ring muscle?

> 8. This famous performer of the 19th century did flatulence
> impressions. Some of the highlights of his stage act involved
> sound effects of cannon fire and thunderstorms, as well as
> playing "O Sole Mio" and "La Marseillaise" on an ocarina through
> a rubber tube in his anus. He could also blow out a candle from
> several yards away. Give either his stage name or his real name.

Frank The Fabulous Farter ?

> * Game 1, Round 8 - Geography - North American Suburbs
>
> As we use the term in this round, a "suburb" is typically a city or
> town that is legally an incorporated municipality, but is not the
> major city in its metropolitan area. Some places that do not meet
> this description will be mentioned explicitly. Note that suburbs
> may lie across a state or provincial boundary from the major city.
>
> In all cases we are interested in current place names and
> boundaries, or at least, current as of the relevant census date.
>

> 2. New York City has about 8,200,000 residents in the 5 boroughs
> that make up the city proper. Its three largest suburbs are
> all adjacent to the city and each have over 190,000 people
> according to the 2010 census. Name *any one* of the three.
> Hint: none of them are east of the city.
New Jersey ?

> 3. Name the Canadian city whose suburbs include Delta, Richmond,
> and Surrey.

Alberta ; Vancouver

> 4. This Canadian city's largest suburb, the District Municipality
> of Saanich, has more population than the city itself. Another
> suburb is Esquimalt. Name the city.

Yukon city

> 7. As of the 2011 census, there are 812,000 people in Ottawa,
> and 242,000 in its largest suburb. Name that suburb.

Hull.

Hmm, the ROT13 makes it clear it's not the wanted answer.
Too bad - this was not a guess. And I can't figure out
what it should be instead

> 9. Name the US city whose suburbs include Burbank, Glendale,
> Irvine, Pasadena, and Santa Ana.

Los Angeles

> After completing the round, please decode the rot13:
> Vs lbh fnvq "Uhyy" sbe gur fhoheo bs Bggnjn, jr arrq n
> yrff fcrpvsvp nafjre. Cyrnfr fhofgvghgr bar.

Björn

Peter Smyth

Jun 18, 2016, 2:50:12 PM6/18/16
Mark Brader wrote:

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2016-05-16,

> Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of the Usual Suspects and
> are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
> have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
> see my 2016-05-31 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> I wrote one of these rounds.
>

> * Game 1, Round 7 - Science - Flatulence will Get You Nowhere
>
> This round concerns flatulence, also known as farting, cutting the
> cheese, windiness -- and, most delightfully, trumping. And who
> among us does not enjoy a good fart joke?
>
> 1. Farts are normally 99% composed of non-smelly gases such as
> oxygen, nitrogen, and carbon dioxide. The remaining 1% consists
> largely of what malodorous compound?
Hydrogen Sulphide
> 2. Farting is not to be confused with "eructation". What is that
> phenomenon commonly known as?
Burping
> 3. Some of the gases present in farts are flammable, although not
> all humans produce them. The flammable gases are specifically
> hydrogen and what greenhouse gas?
Methane
> 4. In 2011, the Minister of Justice in a southern African country
> proposed making public farting illegal. Name the country.
Zimbabwe
> 5. This country, a signatory to the Kyoto Protocol, proposed a "fart
> tax" to address its uniquely high proportion of methane emissions
> from livestock compared to other sources. What country is this?
Argentina
> 6. The ability to fart at will has been used to entertain for
> centuries. It is referenced as early as the fifth century\ AD
> in a certain saintly work. Name either the work or the author.
Augustine of Hippo
> 7. The sound made by flatulence depends on what configuration of
> the acoustic orifice? Hint: the same word also refers to the way
> brass and woodwind players apply the mouth to their instrument,
> so that it pertains to both flautists and flatulists.
>
> 8. This famous performer of the 19th century did flatulence
> impressions. Some of the highlights of his stage act involved
> sound effects of cannon fire and thunderstorms, as well as
> playing "O Sole Mio" and "La Marseillaise" on an ocarina through
> a rubber tube in his anus. He could also blow out a candle from
> several yards away. Give either his stage name or his real name.
>
> 9. In 1998, Chester "Buck" Weimer of Pueblo, Colorado, received
> a patent for the first undergarment to contain a replaceable
> charcoal filter. In 2001 this invention won him a prize
> described as honoring "achievements that first make people
> laugh, and then make them think". Name this prize, which was
> also formerly described as being for discoveries "that cannot,
> or should not, be reproduced".
Ignobel
> 10. The slang term "queef" refers to the expulsion of air from
> which organ?
Vagina

> * Game 1, Round 8 - Geography - North American Suburbs
>
> As we use the term in this round, a "suburb" is typically a city or
> town that is legally an incorporated municipality, but is not the
> major city in its metropolitan area. Some places that do not meet
> this description will be mentioned explicitly. Note that suburbs
> may lie across a state or provincial boundary from the major city.
>
> In all cases we are interested in current place names and
> boundaries, or at least, current as of the relevant census date.
>
> 1. Phoenix has over 1,400,000 residents in the city proper, but it
> also has 5 suburbs that are either adjacent to the city or nearly
> adjacent, and have at least 200,000 people each. Name *any one*
> of these.
>
> 2. New York City has about 8,200,000 residents in the 5 boroughs
> that make up the city proper. Its three largest suburbs are
> all adjacent to the city and each have over 190,000 people
> according to the 2010 census. Name *any one* of the three.
> Hint: none of them are east of the city.
Westchester
> 3. Name the Canadian city whose suburbs include Delta, Richmond,
> and Surrey.
>
> 4. This Canadian city's largest suburb, the District Municipality
> of Saanich, has more population than the city itself. Another
> suburb is Esquimalt. Name the city.
>
> 5. The city of Washington has about 600,000 residents. Its two
> largest suburban communities each have over 100,000 and are
> adjacent to Washington. Like Washington itself, one of the two
> does not actually have the legal status of "city". Name either
> one of these two suburbs.
>
> 6. Boston also has about 600,000 residents. Of the suburbs that
> are adjacent to the city, the 5 largest have populations of at
> least 50,000 in the 2010 census. Name *any one* of them.
>
> 7. As of the 2011 census, there are 812,000 people in Ottawa,
> and 242,000 in its largest suburb. Name that suburb.
>
> 8. As of the 2011 census, Toronto has 2,500,000 residents and has
> 6 suburbs with over 150,000 each. Mississauga is the
> largest by population, with almost 670,000 people; name the
> second-largest, with over 430,000.
>
> 9. Name the US city whose suburbs include Burbank, Glendale,
> Irvine, Pasadena, and Santa Ana.
Los Angeles
> 10. Name the US city whose suburbs include Aurora, Cicero, Evanston,
> Gary, and Naperville.
Chicago
> After completing the round, please decode the rot13:
> If you said "Hull" for the suburb of Ottawa, we need a
> less specific answer. Please substitute one.

Peter Smyth

Erland Sommarskog

Jun 18, 2016, 2:58:33 PM6/18/16
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> 1. Farts are normally 99% composed of non-smelly gases such as
> oxygen, nitrogen, and carbon dioxide. The remaining 1% consists
> largely of what malodorous compound?

H2S

> 3. Some of the gases present in farts are flammable, although not
> all humans produce them. The flammable gases are specifically
> hydrogen and what greenhouse gas?

CH4

> 4. In 2011, the Minister of Justice in a southern African country
> proposed making public farting illegal. Name the country.

Zimbabwe

> 5. This country, a signatory to the Kyoto Protocol, proposed a "fart
> tax" to address its uniquely high proportion of methane emissions
> from livestock compared to other sources. What country is this?

Uruguay

> 9. In 1998, Chester "Buck" Weimer of Pueblo, Colorado, received
> a patent for the first undergarment to contain a replaceable
> charcoal filter. In 2001 this invention won him a prize
> described as honoring "achievements that first make people
> laugh, and then make them think". Name this *prize*, which was
> also formerly described as being for discoveries "that cannot,
> or should not, be reproduced".

Ignoble

> * Game 1, Round 8 - Geography - North American Suburbs
>
> 2. New York City has about 8,200,000 residents in the 5 boroughs
> that make up the city proper. Its three largest suburbs are
> all adjacent to the city and each have over 190,000 people
> according to the 2010 census. Name *any one* of the three.
> Hint: none of them are east of the city.

Hoboken

> 3. Name the Canadian city whose suburbs include Delta, Richmond,
> and Surrey.

Calgary

> 4. This Canadian city's largest suburb, the District Municipality
> of Saanich, has more population than the city itself. Another
> suburb is Esquimalt. Name the city.

Churchill

> 6. Boston also has about 600,000 residents. Of the suburbs that
> are adjacent to the city, the 5 largest have populations of at
> least 50,000 in the 2010 census. Name *any one* of them.

Cambridge

> 9. Name the US city whose suburbs include Burbank, Glendale,
> Irvine, Pasadena, and Santa Ana.

Los Angeles

> 10. Name the US city whose suburbs include Aurora, Cicero, Evanston,
> Gary, and Naperville.

Chicago

swp

Jun 18, 2016, 7:09:19 PM6/18/16
On Saturday, June 18, 2016 at 1:26:03 PM UTC-4, Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2016-05-16,
> and should be interpreted accordingly.

when in the course of human events

> I wrote one of these rounds.

science!

> * Game 1, Round 7 - Science - Flatulence will Get You Nowhere
>
> This round concerns flatulence, also known as farting, cutting the
> cheese, windiness -- and, most delightfully, trumping. And who
> among us does not enjoy a good fart joke?
>
> 1. Farts are normally 99% composed of non-smelly gases such as
> oxygen, nitrogen, and carbon dioxide. The remaining 1% consists
> largely of what malodorous compound?

hydrogen sulfide

> 2. Farting is not to be confused with "eructation". What is *that*
> phenomenon commonly known as?

belching

> 3. Some of the gases present in farts are flammable, although not
> all humans produce them. The flammable gases are specifically
> hydrogen and what greenhouse gas?

methane

> 4. In 2011, the Minister of Justice in a southern African country
> proposed making public farting illegal. Name the country.

malawi

> 5. This country, a signatory to the Kyoto Protocol, proposed a "fart
> tax" to address its uniquely high proportion of methane emissions
> from livestock compared to other sources. What country is this?

new zealand

> 6. The ability to fart at will has been used to entertain for
> centuries. It is referenced as early as the fifth century\ AD
> in a certain saintly work. Name *either* the work or the author.

saint augustine?

> 7. The sound made by flatulence depends on what configuration of
> the acoustic orifice? Hint: the same word also refers to the way
> brass and woodwind players apply the mouth to their instrument,
> so that it pertains to both flautists and flatulists.

embouchure

> 8. This famous performer of the 19th century did flatulence
> impressions. Some of the highlights of his stage act involved
> sound effects of cannon fire and thunderstorms, as well as
> playing "O Sole Mio" and "La Marseillaise" on an ocarina through
> a rubber tube in his anus. He could also blow out a candle from
> several yards away. Give either his stage name or his real name.

pujol

> 9. In 1998, Chester "Buck" Weimer of Pueblo, Colorado, received
> a patent for the first undergarment to contain a replaceable
> charcoal filter. In 2001 this invention won him a prize
> described as honoring "achievements that first make people
> laugh, and then make them think". Name this *prize*, which was
> also formerly described as being for discoveries "that cannot,
> or should not, be reproduced".

ig nobel

> 10. The slang term "queef" refers to the expulsion of air from
> which organ?

vagina

> * Game 1, Round 8 - Geography - North American Suburbs
>
> As we use the term in this round, a "suburb" is typically a city or
> town that is legally an incorporated municipality, but is not the
> major city in its metropolitan area. Some places that do not meet
> this description will be mentioned explicitly. Note that suburbs
> may lie across a state or provincial boundary from the major city.
>
> In all cases we are interested in current place names and
> boundaries, or at least, current as of the relevant census date.
>
> 1. Phoenix has over 1,400,000 residents in the city proper, but it
> also has 5 suburbs that are either adjacent to the city or nearly
> adjacent, and have at least 200,000 people each. Name *any one*
> of these.

scottsdale

> 2. New York City has about 8,200,000 residents in the 5 boroughs
> that make up the city proper. Its three largest suburbs are
> all adjacent to the city and each have over 190,000 people
> according to the 2010 census. Name *any one* of the three.
> Hint: none of them are east of the city.

newark

> 3. Name the Canadian city whose suburbs include Delta, Richmond,
> and Surrey.

vancouver?

> 4. This Canadian city's largest suburb, the District Municipality
> of Saanich, has more population than the city itself. Another
> suburb is Esquimalt. Name the city.

victoria?

> 5. The city of Washington has about 600,000 residents. Its two
> largest suburban communities each have over 100,000 and are
> adjacent to Washington. Like Washington itself, one of the two
> does not actually have the legal status of "city". Name *either*
> one of these two suburbs.

arlington ; alexandria

> 6. Boston also has about 600,000 residents. Of the suburbs that
> are adjacent to the city, the 5 largest have populations of at
> least 50,000 in the 2010 census. Name *any one* of them.

quincy

> 7. As of the 2011 census, there are 812,000 people in Ottawa,
> and 242,000 in its largest suburb. Name that suburb.

gatineau

> 8. As of the 2011 census, Toronto has 2,500,000 residents and has
> 6 suburbs with over 150,000 each. Mississauga is the
> largest by population, with almost 670,000 people; name the
> *second*-largest, with over 430,000.

york?

> 9. Name the US city whose suburbs include Burbank, Glendale,
> Irvine, Pasadena, and Santa Ana.

los angeles

> 10. Name the US city whose suburbs include Aurora, Cicero, Evanston,
> Gary, and Naperville.

chicago

> After completing the round, please decode the rot13:
> If you said "Hull" for the suburb of Ottawa, we need a
> less specific answer. Please substitute one.
> --
> Mark Brader "A facility for quotation covers the absence
> Toronto of original thought" -- Lord Peter Wimsey
> m...@vex.net (Dorothy L. Sayers, "Gaudy Night")
>
> My text in this article is in the public domain.

swp

Joshua Kreitzer

Jun 18, 2016, 9:19:04 PM6/18/16
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:8qOdnZcHrsy7GfjKnZ2dnUU7-
a_N...@giganews.com:

> * Game 1, Round 8 - Geography - North American Suburbs
>
> 1. Phoenix has over 1,400,000 residents in the city proper, but it
> also has 5 suburbs that are either adjacent to the city or nearly
> adjacent, and have at least 200,000 people each. Name *any one*
> of these.

Tempe; Mesa

> 2. New York City has about 8,200,000 residents in the 5 boroughs
> that make up the city proper. Its three largest suburbs are
> all adjacent to the city and each have over 190,000 people
> according to the 2010 census. Name *any one* of the three.
> Hint: none of them are east of the city.

Yonkers; Jersey City

> 3. Name the Canadian city whose suburbs include Delta, Richmond,
> and Surrey.

Vancouver

> 5. The city of Washington has about 600,000 residents. Its two
> largest suburban communities each have over 100,000 and are
> adjacent to Washington. Like Washington itself, one of the two
> does not actually have the legal status of "city". Name *either*
> one of these two suburbs.

Arlington; Alexandria

> 6. Boston also has about 600,000 residents. Of the suburbs that
> are adjacent to the city, the 5 largest have populations of at
> least 50,000 in the 2010 census. Name *any one* of them.

Cambridge

> 7. As of the 2011 census, there are 812,000 people in Ottawa,
> and 242,000 in its largest suburb. Name that suburb.

Some municipality in Quebec
(see comment at end of round for explanation)

> 9. Name the US city whose suburbs include Burbank, Glendale,
> Irvine, Pasadena, and Santa Ana.

Los Angeles

> 10. Name the US city whose suburbs include Aurora, Cicero, Evanston,
> Gary, and Naperville.

Chicago

> After completing the round, please decode the rot13:
> Vs lbh fnvq "Uhyy" sbe gur fhoheo bs Bggnjn, jr arrq n
> yrff fcrpvsvp nafjre. Cyrnfr fhofgvghgr bar.

I did put "Hull" originally, and but I don't know enough about the
geography of the Ottawa area to understand what you are looking for, so
I've given you a much less specific answer above.

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

Mark Brader

Jun 18, 2016, 11:10:28 PM6/18/16
Joshua Kreitzer:
> I've given you a much less specific answer above.

I'll say!
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "4 No Trump: 1430
m...@vex.net | Definitely No Trump: 2016" --Jerry Friedman

Dan Blum

Jun 19, 2016, 12:04:03 AM6/19/16
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 1, Round 7 - Science - Flatulence will Get You Nowhere

> 1. Farts are normally 99% composed of non-smelly gases such as
> oxygen, nitrogen, and carbon dioxide. The remaining 1% consists
> largely of what malodorous compound?

sulfur dioxide

> 2. Farting is not to be confused with "eructation". What is *that*
> phenomenon commonly known as?

burping

> 3. Some of the gases present in farts are flammable, although not
> all humans produce them. The flammable gases are specifically
> hydrogen and what greenhouse gas?

methane

> 4. In 2011, the Minister of Justice in a southern African country
> proposed making public farting illegal. Name the country.

Zimbabwe; Lesotho

> 5. This country, a signatory to the Kyoto Protocol, proposed a "fart
> tax" to address its uniquely high proportion of methane emissions
> from livestock compared to other sources. What country is this?

Australia

> 6. The ability to fart at will has been used to entertain for
> centuries. It is referenced as early as the fifth century\ AD
> in a certain saintly work. Name *either* the work or the author.

St. Augustine

> 8. This famous performer of the 19th century did flatulence
> impressions. Some of the highlights of his stage act involved
> sound effects of cannon fire and thunderstorms, as well as
> playing "O Sole Mio" and "La Marseillaise" on an ocarina through
> a rubber tube in his anus. He could also blow out a candle from
> several yards away. Give either his stage name or his real name.

Le Petomane

> 9. In 1998, Chester "Buck" Weimer of Pueblo, Colorado, received
> a patent for the first undergarment to contain a replaceable
> charcoal filter. In 2001 this invention won him a prize
> described as honoring "achievements that first make people
> laugh, and then make them think". Name this *prize*, which was
> also formerly described as being for discoveries "that cannot,
> or should not, be reproduced".

Ig Nobel Prize

> 10. The slang term "queef" refers to the expulsion of air from
> which organ?

vagina

> * Game 1, Round 8 - Geography - North American Suburbs

> 1. Phoenix has over 1,400,000 residents in the city proper, but it
> also has 5 suburbs that are either adjacent to the city or nearly
> adjacent, and have at least 200,000 people each. Name *any one*
> of these.

Mesa

> 2. New York City has about 8,200,000 residents in the 5 boroughs
> that make up the city proper. Its three largest suburbs are
> all adjacent to the city and each have over 190,000 people
> according to the 2010 census. Name *any one* of the three.
> Hint: none of them are east of the city.

Jersey City

> 3. Name the Canadian city whose suburbs include Delta, Richmond,
> and Surrey.

Vancouver; Halifax

> 4. This Canadian city's largest suburb, the District Municipality
> of Saanich, has more population than the city itself. Another
> suburb is Esquimalt. Name the city.

Yellowknife

> 5. The city of Washington has about 600,000 residents. Its two
> largest suburban communities each have over 100,000 and are
> adjacent to Washington. Like Washington itself, one of the two
> does not actually have the legal status of "city". Name *either*
> one of these two suburbs.

Arlington

> 6. Boston also has about 600,000 residents. Of the suburbs that
> are adjacent to the city, the 5 largest have populations of at
> least 50,000 in the 2010 census. Name *any one* of them.

Cambridge

> 8. As of the 2011 census, Toronto has 2,500,000 residents and has
> 6 suburbs with over 150,000 each. Mississauga is the
> largest by population, with almost 670,000 people; name the
> *second*-largest, with over 430,000.

Kitchener; Windsor

> 9. Name the US city whose suburbs include Burbank, Glendale,
> Irvine, Pasadena, and Santa Ana.

Los Angeles

> 10. Name the US city whose suburbs include Aurora, Cicero, Evanston,
> Gary, and Naperville.

Chicago

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Pete

Jun 19, 2016, 12:07:50 AM6/19/16
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:8qOdnZcHrsy7GfjKnZ2dnUU7-
a_N...@giganews.com:

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2016-05-16,

> Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of the Usual Suspects and
> are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
> have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
> see my 2016-05-31 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> I wrote one of these rounds.
>

> * Game 1, Round 7 - Science - Flatulence will Get You Nowhere
>
> This round concerns flatulence, also known as farting, cutting the
> cheese, windiness -- and, most delightfully, trumping. And who
> among us does not enjoy a good fart joke?
>
> 1. Farts are normally 99% composed of non-smelly gases such as
> oxygen, nitrogen, and carbon dioxide. The remaining 1% consists
> largely of what malodorous compound?

Sulphur

> 2. Farting is not to be confused with "eructation". What is *that*
> phenomenon commonly known as?

Burping

> 3. Some of the gases present in farts are flammable, although not
> all humans produce them. The flammable gases are specifically
> hydrogen and what greenhouse gas?

Carbon dioxide

> 4. In 2011, the Minister of Justice in a southern African country
> proposed making public farting illegal. Name the country.

Zimbabwe; South Africa

> 5. This country, a signatory to the Kyoto Protocol, proposed a "fart
> tax" to address its uniquely high proportion of methane emissions
> from livestock compared to other sources. What country is this?

India

> 6. The ability to fart at will has been used to entertain for
> centuries. It is referenced as early as the fifth century\ AD
> in a certain saintly work. Name *either* the work or the author.
>
> 7. The sound made by flatulence depends on what configuration of
> the acoustic orifice? Hint: the same word also refers to the way
> brass and woodwind players apply the mouth to their instrument,
> so that it pertains to both flautists and flatulists.

Emboucher

> 8. This famous performer of the 19th century did flatulence
> impressions. Some of the highlights of his stage act involved
> sound effects of cannon fire and thunderstorms, as well as
> playing "O Sole Mio" and "La Marseillaise" on an ocarina through
> a rubber tube in his anus. He could also blow out a candle from
> several yards away. Give either his stage name or his real name.

Le Petomaine

> 9. In 1998, Chester "Buck" Weimer of Pueblo, Colorado, received
> a patent for the first undergarment to contain a replaceable
> charcoal filter. In 2001 this invention won him a prize
> described as honoring "achievements that first make people
> laugh, and then make them think". Name this *prize*, which was
> also formerly described as being for discoveries "that cannot,
> or should not, be reproduced".
>
> 10. The slang term "queef" refers to the expulsion of air from
> which organ?

Vagina

> * Game 1, Round 8 - Geography - North American Suburbs
>
> As we use the term in this round, a "suburb" is typically a city or
> town that is legally an incorporated municipality, but is not the
> major city in its metropolitan area. Some places that do not meet
> this description will be mentioned explicitly. Note that suburbs
> may lie across a state or provincial boundary from the major city.
>
> In all cases we are interested in current place names and
> boundaries, or at least, current as of the relevant census date.
>
> 1. Phoenix has over 1,400,000 residents in the city proper, but it
> also has 5 suburbs that are either adjacent to the city or nearly
> adjacent, and have at least 200,000 people each. Name *any one*
> of these.

Scottsdale

> 2. New York City has about 8,200,000 residents in the 5 boroughs
> that make up the city proper. Its three largest suburbs are
> all adjacent to the city and each have over 190,000 people
> according to the 2010 census. Name *any one* of the three.
> Hint: none of them are east of the city.

Newark

> 3. Name the Canadian city whose suburbs include Delta, Richmond,
> and Surrey.

Vancouver

> 4. This Canadian city's largest suburb, the District Municipality
> of Saanich, has more population than the city itself. Another
> suburb is Esquimalt. Name the city.

Vancouver; Victoria

> 5. The city of Washington has about 600,000 residents. Its two
> largest suburban communities each have over 100,000 and are
> adjacent to Washington. Like Washington itself, one of the two
> does not actually have the legal status of "city". Name *either*
> one of these two suburbs.

Alexandria

> 6. Boston also has about 600,000 residents. Of the suburbs that
> are adjacent to the city, the 5 largest have populations of at
> least 50,000 in the 2010 census. Name *any one* of them.

Cambridge

> 7. As of the 2011 census, there are 812,000 people in Ottawa,
> and 242,000 in its largest suburb. Name that suburb.

Kanata

> 8. As of the 2011 census, Toronto has 2,500,000 residents and has
> 6 suburbs with over 150,000 each. Mississauga is the
> largest by population, with almost 670,000 people; name the
> *second*-largest, with over 430,000.

Hamilton

> 9. Name the US city whose suburbs include Burbank, Glendale,
> Irvine, Pasadena, and Santa Ana.

Los Angeles

> 10. Name the US city whose suburbs include Aurora, Cicero, Evanston,
> Gary, and Naperville.

Chicago (I live in Naperville)

> After completing the round, please decode the rot13:
> Vs lbh fnvq "Uhyy" sbe gur fhoheo bs Bggnjn, jr arrq n
> yrff fcrpvsvp nafjre. Cyrnfr fhofgvghgr bar.

Pete Gayde

Dan Tilque

Jun 19, 2016, 4:19:21 AM6/19/16
Mark Brader wrote:

> I wrote one of these rounds.
>

> * Game 1, Round 7 - Science - Flatulence will Get You Nowhere
>
> This round concerns flatulence, also known as farting, cutting the
> cheese, windiness -- and, most delightfully, trumping. And who
> among us does not enjoy a good fart joke?
>
> 1. Farts are normally 99% composed of non-smelly gases such as
> oxygen, nitrogen, and carbon dioxide. The remaining 1% consists
> largely of what malodorous compound?

methyl mercaptan

> 2. Farting is not to be confused with "eructation". What is *that*
> phenomenon commonly known as?

burping

> 3. Some of the gases present in farts are flammable, although not
> all humans produce them. The flammable gases are specifically
> hydrogen and what greenhouse gas?

methane

> 4. In 2011, the Minister of Justice in a southern African country
> proposed making public farting illegal. Name the country.
>
> 5. This country, a signatory to the Kyoto Protocol, proposed a "fart
> tax" to address its uniquely high proportion of methane emissions
> from livestock compared to other sources. What country is this?

Japan ??

(Note that methane from cattle mostly comes out their mouth. It's
generated in their first stomach by bacteria.)

> 6. The ability to fart at will has been used to entertain for
> centuries. It is referenced as early as the fifth century\ AD
> in a certain saintly work. Name *either* the work or the author.
>
> 7. The sound made by flatulence depends on what configuration of
> the acoustic orifice? Hint: the same word also refers to the way
> brass and woodwind players apply the mouth to their instrument,
> so that it pertains to both flautists and flatulists.
>
> 8. This famous performer of the 19th century did flatulence
> impressions. Some of the highlights of his stage act involved
> sound effects of cannon fire and thunderstorms, as well as
> playing "O Sole Mio" and "La Marseillaise" on an ocarina through
> a rubber tube in his anus. He could also blow out a candle from
> several yards away. Give either his stage name or his real name.

Le Petomane

> 9. In 1998, Chester "Buck" Weimer of Pueblo, Colorado, received
> a patent for the first undergarment to contain a replaceable
> charcoal filter. In 2001 this invention won him a prize
> described as honoring "achievements that first make people
> laugh, and then make them think". Name this *prize*, which was
> also formerly described as being for discoveries "that cannot,
> or should not, be reproduced".

Ig Nobel

> 10. The slang term "queef" refers to the expulsion of air from
> which organ?

vulva

> * Game 1, Round 8 - Geography - North American Suburbs
>
> As we use the term in this round, a "suburb" is typically a city or
> town that is legally an incorporated municipality, but is not the
> major city in its metropolitan area. Some places that do not meet
> this description will be mentioned explicitly. Note that suburbs
> may lie across a state or provincial boundary from the major city.
>
> In all cases we are interested in current place names and
> boundaries, or at least, current as of the relevant census date.
>
> 1. Phoenix has over 1,400,000 residents in the city proper, but it
> also has 5 suburbs that are either adjacent to the city or nearly
> adjacent, and have at least 200,000 people each. Name *any one*
> of these.

Glendale

> 2. New York City has about 8,200,000 residents in the 5 boroughs
> that make up the city proper. Its three largest suburbs are
> all adjacent to the city and each have over 190,000 people
> according to the 2010 census. Name *any one* of the three.
> Hint: none of them are east of the city.

Newark

> 3. Name the Canadian city whose suburbs include Delta, Richmond,
> and Surrey.

Vancouver

> 4. This Canadian city's largest suburb, the District Municipality
> of Saanich, has more population than the city itself. Another
> suburb is Esquimalt. Name the city.

Edmonton

> 5. The city of Washington has about 600,000 residents. Its two
> largest suburban communities each have over 100,000 and are
> adjacent to Washington. Like Washington itself, one of the two
> does not actually have the legal status of "city". Name *either*
> one of these two suburbs.

Silver Springs

> 6. Boston also has about 600,000 residents. Of the suburbs that
> are adjacent to the city, the 5 largest have populations of at
> least 50,000 in the 2010 census. Name *any one* of them.

Salem

> 7. As of the 2011 census, there are 812,000 people in Ottawa,
> and 242,000 in its largest suburb. Name that suburb.

Gatineau

> 8. As of the 2011 census, Toronto has 2,500,000 residents and has
> 6 suburbs with over 150,000 each. Mississauga is the
> largest by population, with almost 670,000 people; name the
> *second*-largest, with over 430,000.

Brampton

> 9. Name the US city whose suburbs include Burbank, Glendale,
> Irvine, Pasadena, and Santa Ana.

Los Angeles

> 10. Name the US city whose suburbs include Aurora, Cicero, Evanston,
> Gary, and Naperville.

Chicago

> After completing the round, please decode the rot13:
> Vs lbh fnvq "Uhyy" sbe gur fhoheo bs Bggnjn, jr arrq n
> yrff fcrpvsvp nafjre. Cyrnfr fhofgvghgr bar.

--
Dan Tilque

Calvin

Jun 19, 2016, 10:50:58 PM6/19/16
On Sunday, June 19, 2016 at 3:26:03 AM UTC+10, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 1, Round 7 - Science - Flatulence will Get You Nowhere
>
> 1. Farts are normally 99% composed of non-smelly gases such as
> oxygen, nitrogen, and carbon dioxide. The remaining 1% consists
> largely of what malodorous compound?

Methane, sulphur dioxide

> 2. Farting is not to be confused with "eructation". What is *that*
> phenomenon commonly known as?

Burping

> 3. Some of the gases present in farts are flammable, although not
> all humans produce them. The flammable gases are specifically
> hydrogen and what greenhouse gas?

Methane, CO2

> 4. In 2011, the Minister of Justice in a southern African country
> proposed making public farting illegal. Name the country.

South Africa, Zimbabwe

> 5. This country, a signatory to the Kyoto Protocol, proposed a "fart
> tax" to address its uniquely high proportion of methane emissions
> from livestock compared to other sources. What country is this?

New Zealand, Japan

> 6. The ability to fart at will has been used to entertain for
> centuries. It is referenced as early as the fifth century\ AD
> in a certain saintly work. Name *either* the work or the author.

St Patrick, St Augustine

> 7. The sound made by flatulence depends on what configuration of
> the acoustic orifice? Hint: the same word also refers to the way
> brass and woodwind players apply the mouth to their instrument,
> so that it pertains to both flautists and flatulists.
>
> 8. This famous performer of the 19th century did flatulence
> impressions. Some of the highlights of his stage act involved
> sound effects of cannon fire and thunderstorms, as well as
> playing "O Sole Mio" and "La Marseillaise" on an ocarina through
> a rubber tube in his anus. He could also blow out a candle from
> several yards away. Give either his stage name or his real name.
>
> 9. In 1998, Chester "Buck" Weimer of Pueblo, Colorado, received
> a patent for the first undergarment to contain a replaceable
> charcoal filter. In 2001 this invention won him a prize
> described as honoring "achievements that first make people
> laugh, and then make them think". Name this *prize*, which was
> also formerly described as being for discoveries "that cannot,
> or should not, be reproduced".

Ignoble

> 10. The slang term "queef" refers to the expulsion of air from
> which organ?
>

> * Game 1, Round 8 - Geography - North American Suburbs

Pass

cheers,
calvin

bbowler

Jun 20, 2016, 9:08:52 AM6/20/16
On Sat, 18 Jun 2016 12:25:58 -0500, Mark Brader wrote:

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2016-05-16, and
> should be interpreted accordingly.
>
> On each question you may give up to two answers, but if you give both a
> right answer and a wrong answer, there is a small penalty. Please post
> all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup, based only on
> your own knowledge. (In your answer posting, quote the questions and
> place your answer below each one.) I will reveal the correct answers in
> about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of the Usual Suspects and are used
> here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have been retyped
> and/or edited by me. For further information see my 2016-05-31
> companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> I wrote one of these rounds.
>

> * Game 1, Round 7 - Science - Flatulence will Get You Nowhere
>
> This round concerns flatulence, also known as farting, cutting the
> cheese, windiness -- and, most delightfully, trumping. And who among us
> does not enjoy a good fart joke?
>
> 1. Farts are normally 99% composed of non-smelly gases such as
> oxygen, nitrogen, and carbon dioxide. The remaining 1% consists
> largely of what malodorous compound?

Sulfur

> 2. Farting is not to be confused with "eructation". What is *that*
> phenomenon commonly known as?

Belching (aka burping)

> 3. Some of the gases present in farts are flammable, although not
> all humans produce them. The flammable gases are specifically
> hydrogen and what greenhouse gas?

Methane

> 4. In 2011, the Minister of Justice in a southern African country
> proposed making public farting illegal. Name the country.
>
> 5. This country, a signatory to the Kyoto Protocol, proposed a "fart
> tax" to address its uniquely high proportion of methane emissions
> from livestock compared to other sources. What country is this?
>
> 6. The ability to fart at will has been used to entertain for
> centuries. It is referenced as early as the fifth century\ AD in a
> certain saintly work. Name *either* the work or the author.
>
> 7. The sound made by flatulence depends on what configuration of
> the acoustic orifice? Hint: the same word also refers to the way
> brass and woodwind players apply the mouth to their instrument, so
> that it pertains to both flautists and flatulists.

ombushier

> 8. This famous performer of the 19th century did flatulence
> impressions. Some of the highlights of his stage act involved sound
> effects of cannon fire and thunderstorms, as well as playing "O Sole
> Mio" and "La Marseillaise" on an ocarina through a rubber tube in his
> anus. He could also blow out a candle from several yards away. Give
> either his stage name or his real name.
>
> 9. In 1998, Chester "Buck" Weimer of Pueblo, Colorado, received
> a patent for the first undergarment to contain a replaceable charcoal
> filter. In 2001 this invention won him a prize described as honoring
> "achievements that first make people laugh, and then make them
> think". Name this *prize*, which was also formerly described as
> being for discoveries "that cannot, or should not, be reproduced".

The Ignobel prize

> 10. The slang term "queef" refers to the expulsion of air from
> which organ?

Vagina?

> * Game 1, Round 8 - Geography - North American Suburbs
>
> As we use the term in this round, a "suburb" is typically a city or town
> that is legally an incorporated municipality, but is not the major city
> in its metropolitan area. Some places that do not meet this description
> will be mentioned explicitly. Note that suburbs may lie across a state
> or provincial boundary from the major city.
>
> In all cases we are interested in current place names and boundaries, or
> at least, current as of the relevant census date.
>
> 1. Phoenix has over 1,400,000 residents in the city proper, but it
> also has 5 suburbs that are either adjacent to the city or nearly
> adjacent, and have at least 200,000 people each. Name *any one* of
> these.

Mesa

> 2. New York City has about 8,200,000 residents in the 5 boroughs
> that make up the city proper. Its three largest suburbs are all
> adjacent to the city and each have over 190,000 people according to
> the 2010 census. Name *any one* of the three. Hint: none of them are
> east of the city.

White Plains

> 3. Name the Canadian city whose suburbs include Delta, Richmond,
> and Surrey.
>
> 4. This Canadian city's largest suburb, the District Municipality
> of Saanich, has more population than the city itself. Another suburb
> is Esquimalt. Name the city.

Yellow Knife

> 5. The city of Washington has about 600,000 residents. Its two
> largest suburban communities each have over 100,000 and are adjacent
> to Washington. Like Washington itself, one of the two does not
> actually have the legal status of "city". Name *either*
> one of these two suburbs.

Arlington

> 6. Boston also has about 600,000 residents. Of the suburbs that
> are adjacent to the city, the 5 largest have populations of at least
> 50,000 in the 2010 census. Name *any one* of them.

Cambridge

> 7. As of the 2011 census, there are 812,000 people in Ottawa,
> and 242,000 in its largest suburb. Name that suburb.
>
> 8. As of the 2011 census, Toronto has 2,500,000 residents and has
> 6 suburbs with over 150,000 each. Mississauga is the largest by
> population, with almost 670,000 people; name the *second*-largest,
> with over 430,000.
>
> 9. Name the US city whose suburbs include Burbank, Glendale,
> Irvine, Pasadena, and Santa Ana.

Los Angeles

> 10. Name the US city whose suburbs include Aurora, Cicero, Evanston,
> Gary, and Naperville.

Chicago

Mark Brader

Jun 21, 2016, 11:32:50 AM6/21/16
Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2016-05-16,
> see my 2016-05-31 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

> I wrote one of these rounds.

That was the geography round. In the original game, it was tied
with the current-events round for being the easiest.

> * Game 1, Round 7 - Science - Flatulence will Get You Nowhere

> This round concerns flatulence, also known as farting, cutting the
> cheese, windiness -- and, most delightfully, trumping. And who
> among us does not enjoy a good fart joke?

> 1. Farts are normally 99% composed of non-smelly gases such as
> oxygen, nitrogen, and carbon dioxide. The remaining 1% consists
> largely of what malodorous compound?

Hydrogen sulfide (H2S). 4 for Peter, Erland, and Stephen.

> 2. Farting is not to be confused with "eructation". What is *that*
> phenomenon commonly known as?

Belching or burping. 4 for Peter, Stephen, Dan Blum, Pete,
Dan Tilque, Calvin, and Bruce.

> 3. Some of the gases present in farts are flammable, although not
> all humans produce them. The flammable gases are specifically
> hydrogen and what greenhouse gas?

Methane. 4 for Björn, Peter, Erland, Stephen, Dan Blum, Dan Tilque,
and Bruce. 3 for Calvin.

> 4. In 2011, the Minister of Justice in a southern African country
> proposed making public farting illegal. Name the country.

Malawi. 4 for Stephen.

Everybody else guessed Zimbabwe, or Zimbabwe and another country.
Is there something I don't know going on?

> 5. This country, a signatory to the Kyoto Protocol, proposed a "fart
> tax" to address its uniquely high proportion of methane emissions
> from livestock compared to other sources. What country is this?

New Zealand. 4 for Stephen. 3 for Calvin.

Dan Tilque complained that this question was off-topic because,
he says, "methane from cattle mostly comes out their mouth".

> 6. The ability to fart at will has been used to entertain for
> centuries. It is referenced as early as the fifth century\ AD
> in a certain saintly work. Name *either* the work or the author.

"The City of God", St. Augustine (of Hippo). 4 for Björn, Peter,
Stephen, and Dan Blum. 2 for Calvin.

> 7. The sound made by flatulence depends on what configuration of
> the acoustic orifice? Hint: the same word also refers to the way
> brass and woodwind players apply the mouth to their instrument,
> so that it pertains to both flautists and flatulists.

Embouchure. 4 for Stephen. 3 for Pete and Bruce.

> 8. This famous performer of the 19th century did flatulence
> impressions. Some of the highlights of his stage act involved
> sound effects of cannon fire and thunderstorms, as well as
> playing "O Sole Mio" and "La Marseillaise" on an ocarina through
> a rubber tube in his anus. He could also blow out a candle from
> several yards away. Give either his stage name or his real name.

Le Pétomane, Joseph Pujol. 4 for Stephen, Dan Blum, Pete,
and Dan Tilque.

> 9. In 1998, Chester "Buck" Weimer of Pueblo, Colorado, received
> a patent for the first undergarment to contain a replaceable
> charcoal filter. In 2001 this invention won him a prize
> described as honoring "achievements that first make people
> laugh, and then make them think". Name this *prize*, which was
> also formerly described as being for discoveries "that cannot,
> or should not, be reproduced".

Ig Nobel Prize (for Biology). 4 for Peter, Erland, Stephen, Dan Blum,
Dan Tilque, Calvin, and Bruce.

> 10. The slang term "queef" refers to the expulsion of air from
> which organ?

Vagina. I accepted "vulva". 4 for Peter, Stephen, Dan Blum, Pete,
Dan Tilque, and Bruce.

> * Game 1, Round 8 - Geography - North American Suburbs

> As we use the term in this round, a "suburb" is typically a city or
> town that is legally an incorporated municipality, but is not the
> major city in its metropolitan area. Some places that do not meet
> this description will be mentioned explicitly. Note that suburbs
> may lie across a state or provincial boundary from the major city.

> In all cases we are interested in current place names and
> boundaries, or at least, current as of the relevant census date.

> 1. Phoenix has over 1,400,000 residents in the city proper, but it
> also has 5 suburbs that are either adjacent to the city or nearly
> adjacent, and have at least 200,000 people each. Name *any one*
> of these.

Chandler, Gilbert, Glendale, Mesa, Scottsdale. 4 for Stephen,
Dan Blum, Pete, Dan Tilque, and Bruce. 2 for Joshua.

> 2. New York City has about 8,200,000 residents in the 5 boroughs
> that make up the city proper. Its three largest suburbs are
> all adjacent to the city and each have over 190,000 people
> according to the 2010 census. Name *any one* of the three.
> Hint: none of them are east of the city.

Jersey City, Newark, Yonkers. 4 for Stephen, Joshua (the hard way),
Dan Blum, Pete, and Dan Tilque.

> 3. Name the Canadian city whose suburbs include Delta, Richmond,
> and Surrey.

Vancouver. 4 for Stephen, Joshua, Pete, and Dan Tilque.
3 for Dan Blum. 2 for Björn.

> 4. This Canadian city's largest suburb, the District Municipality
> of Saanich, has more population than the city itself. Another
> suburb is Esquimalt. Name the city.

Victoria. 4 for Stephen. 2 for Pete.

> 5. The city of Washington has about 600,000 residents. Its two
> largest suburban communities each have over 100,000 and are
> adjacent to Washington. Like Washington itself, one of the two
> does not actually have the legal status of "city". Name *either*
> one of these two suburbs.

Arlington (county), Alexandria. 4 for Stephen (the hard way), Joshua
(the hard way), Dan Blum, Pete, and Bruce.

> 6. Boston also has about 600,000 residents. Of the suburbs that
> are adjacent to the city, the 5 largest have populations of at
> least 50,000 in the 2010 census. Name *any one* of them.

Brookline, Cambridge, Newton, Quincy, Somerville. 4 for Erland,
Stephen, Joshua, Dan Blum, Pete, and Bruce.

> 7. As of the 2011 census, there are 812,000 people in Ottawa,
> and 242,000 in its largest suburb. Name that suburb.

Gatineau. 4 for Stephen and Dan Tilque.

> 8. As of the 2011 census, Toronto has 2,500,000 residents and has
> 6 suburbs with over 150,000 each. Mississauga is the
> largest by population, with almost 670,000 people; name the
> *second*-largest, with over 430,000.

Brampton. 4 for Dan Tilque.

> 9. Name the US city whose suburbs include Burbank, Glendale,
> Irvine, Pasadena, and Santa Ana.

Los Angeles. 4 for Björn, Peter, Erland, Stephen, Joshua, Dan Blum,
Pete, Dan Tilque, and Bruce.

> 10. Name the US city whose suburbs include Aurora, Cicero, Evanston,
> Gary, and Naperville.

Chicago. 4 for Peter, Erland, Stephen, Joshua, Dan Blum, Pete,
Dan Tilque, and Bruce.

> After completing the round, please decode the rot13:
> If you said "Hull" for the suburb of Ottawa, we need a
> less specific answer. Please substitute one.

Hull was merged into Gatineau in 2002, but we decided to give entrants
a second chance if they forgot this.

Scores, if there are no errors:

ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 6 7 8 BEST
TOPICS-> Can Ent His Spo Sci Geo FOUR
Stephen Perry 24 40 40 36 40 36 156
Joshua Kreitzer 4 24 28 24 0 26 102
Pete Gayde 0 24 12 32 15 30 101
Dan Blum 0 24 24 16 24 27 99
Marc Dashevsky 0 32 20 20 -- -- 72
Dan Tilque 0 12 12 12 20 28 72
Bruce Bowler -- -- 0 28 19 20 67
Jason Kreitzer 0 20 16 12 -- -- 48
Erland Sommarskog -- -- 20 4 12 12 48
Peter Smyth 4 8 8 8 24 8 48
"Calvin" 0 12 10 7 16 0 45
Björn Lundin 0 4 7 0 8 6 25

--
Mark Brader, Toronto "Information! ... We want information!"
m...@vex.net -- The Prisoner

bbowler

Jun 21, 2016, 1:12:12 PM6/21/16
On Tue, 21 Jun 2016 10:32:44 -0500, Mark Brader wrote:

>> 7. The sound made by flatulence depends on what configuration of
>> the acoustic orifice? Hint: the same word also refers to the way
>> brass and woodwind players apply the mouth to their instrument, so
>> that it pertains to both flautists and flatulists.
>
> Embouchure. 4 for Stephen. 3 for Pete and Bruce.

Why 3? I gave one answer, spelled the way I learned to spell the word
from my Trumpet teacher (and I thought spelling didn't count except when
explicitly stated that it did, and for proper names and titles, but maybe
I'm wrong on that point).

Peter Smyth

Jun 21, 2016, 1:19:04 PM6/21/16
Mark Brader wrote:

> > 2. New York City has about 8,200,000 residents in the 5 boroughs
> > that make up the city proper. Its three largest suburbs are
> > all adjacent to the city and each have over 190,000 people
> > according to the 2010 census. Name *any one* of the three.
> > Hint: none of them are east of the city.
>
> Jersey City, Newark, Yonkers. 4 for Stephen, Joshua (the hard way),
> Dan Blum, Pete, and Dan Tilque.

By what criteria is Newark adjacent to New York City? Jersey City is
debatable too but at least that has a water border with NYC.

Peter Smyth

Dan Blum

Jun 21, 2016, 1:28:23 PM6/21/16
Arguably Newark has a water border with Staten Island; Elizabeth clearly
does but Newark is less clear.

Erland Sommarskog

Jun 21, 2016, 2:44:30 PM6/21/16
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
>> 4. In 2011, the Minister of Justice in a southern African country
>> proposed making public farting illegal. Name the country.
>
> Malawi. 4 for Stephen.
>
> Everybody else guessed Zimbabwe, or Zimbabwe and another country.
> Is there something I don't know going on?

Since the situation in general is anything but good and all sort of
weird things happens in Zimbabwe that seemed like a reasonable answer.

Dan Tilque

Jun 21, 2016, 2:52:38 PM6/21/16
Mark Brader wrote:

>> 5. This country, a signatory to the Kyoto Protocol, proposed a "fart
>> tax" to address its uniquely high proportion of methane emissions
>> from livestock compared to other sources. What country is this?
>
> New Zealand. 4 for Stephen. 3 for Calvin.
>
> Dan Tilque complained that this question was off-topic because,
> he says, "methane from cattle mostly comes out their mouth".

It wasn't actually a complaint about being off-topic. Just me being
ah... anal-retentive....

--
Dan Tilque

Mark Brader

Jun 21, 2016, 3:17:16 PM6/21/16
Mark Brader:
>>> 7. The sound made by flatulence depends on what configuration of
>>> the acoustic orifice? Hint: the same word also refers to the way
>>> brass and woodwind players apply the mouth to their instrument, so
>>> that it pertains to both flautists and flatulists.
>>
>> Embouchure. 4 for Stephen. 3 for Pete and Bruce.

Bruce Bowler:
> Why 3? I gave one answer, spelled the way I learned to spell the word
> from my Trumpet teacher (and I thought spelling didn't count except when
> explicitly stated that it did, and for proper names and titles, but maybe
> I'm wrong on that point).

I'm using the same rule as on the Final Jeopardy! round of "Jeopardy!":
spelling doesn't count, but the spelling you give has to be a plausible
one for the pronunciation of the word. "Embouchure" ends with the same
sound as "pure". That's not plausible for "emboucher" or "ombushier",
so I scored them as almost correct.
--
Mark Brader | "And don't forget there were five separate computers
m...@vex.net | in those days."

Mark Brader

Jun 21, 2016, 3:21:10 PM6/21/16
Mark Brader:
>>> 2. New York City has about 8,200,000 residents in the 5 boroughs
>>> that make up the city proper. Its three largest suburbs are
>>> all adjacent to the city and each have over 190,000 people
>>> according to the 2010 census. Name *any one* of the three.
>>> Hint: none of them are east of the city.
>>
>> Jersey City, Newark, Yonkers. 4 for Stephen, Joshua (the hard way),
>> Dan Blum, Pete, and Dan Tilque.

Peter Smyth:
> By what criteria is Newark adjacent to New York City?

It's not; I was mistaken about its boundaries. Sorry about that.

> Jersey City is debatable too but at least that has a water border with NYC.

A river border, in fact.
--
Mark Brader | "One of the lessons of history is that nothing
Toronto | is often a good thing to do and always a clever