QFTCI5EP Game 4, Rounds 7-8: there's Hitch!, CanBeers

Mark Brader

Jun 6, 2017, 11:08:13 PM6/6/17
These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2017-02-06,
and should be interpreted accordingly.

Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

All questions were written by members of 5 Easy Pieces and are
used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information see
my 2016-11-26 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

* Game 4, Round 7 - Entertainment - Alfred Hitchcock's Movie Cameos

Alfred Hitchcock appeared for a brief moment in most of the films
he directed. We give you the year the movie was released and
describe the cameo; you give the title.

1. 1959: On the street, just missing a bus as the doors close in
his face, after his screen credit appears.

2. 1960: On the street wearing a cowboy hat, seen through an office
window as the female lead comes through the door.

3. 1943: His back to the camera, playing cards with a winning hand,
on the train to Santa Rosa.

4. 1955: Sitting next to Cary Grant on a bus.

5. 1958: In a gray suit, carrying a musical instrument case, walking
across the camera, in front of Gavin Elster's shipbuilding
business.

6. 1963: Leaving a pet shop with two Sealyham terriers (his own).

7. 1946: At the big party in Claude Rains's mansion, drinking
champagne.

8. 1954: Seen looking into a window from across the courtyard,
winding a clock.

9. 1951: Boarding a train with a large musical instrument case.

10. 1944: In before-and-after photos in a newspaper ad for "Reduco,
the Obesity Slayer".

* Game 4, Round 8 - Canadiana - Ontario Breweries

Craft beers have taken off over the past several years. Let's see
how much you know about the brews produced in Ontario. We will
give you the location of the brewery in the province and two or
three of the brewery's beers. You name the brewery.

1. Toronto (Etobicoke, to be exact): Pompous Ass, Lake Effect,
Canuck Pale Ale.

2. Toronto: Fish Eye, Augusta Ale.

3. Hamilton: Rhyme, Reason and Ransack the Universe.

4. Hamilton: Headstock, Naughty Neighbour, Bolshevik Bastard.

5. Bracebridge: Mad Tom IPA, Detour.

6. Barrie: Hoptical Illusion, Smashbomb Atomic IPA.

7. Toronto: Fracture, Downtown Brown, Boneshaker.

8. Toronto: Conductor's Ale, Brakeman's Session Ale.

9. Toronto: Maris, Eephus, Sunlight Park.

10. Toronto: 100th Meridian, Lemon Tea Beer.

--
Mark Brader, Toronto "VAX 3 in 1 carpet care -- now 129.95 pounds"
m...@vex.net

Bruce

Jun 7, 2017, 9:40:09 AM6/7/17
On Tue, 06 Jun 2017 22:08:07 -0500, Mark Brader wrote:

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2017-02-06, and
> should be interpreted accordingly.
>
> On each question you may give up to two answers, but if you give both a
> right answer and a wrong answer, there is a small penalty. Please post
> all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup, based only on
> your own knowledge. (In your answer posting, quote the questions and
> place your answer below each one.) I will reveal the correct answers in
> about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of 5 Easy Pieces and are used here
> by permission, but have been reformatted and may have been retyped
> and/or edited by me. For further information see my 2016-11-26
> companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 4, Round 7 - Entertainment - Alfred Hitchcock's Movie Cameos
>
> Alfred Hitchcock appeared for a brief moment in most of the films he
> directed. We give you the year the movie was released and describe the
> cameo; you give the title.

My favorite director...

> 1. 1959: On the street, just missing a bus as the doors close in
> his face, after his screen credit appears.

North by Northwest

> 2. 1960: On the street wearing a cowboy hat, seen through an office
> window as the female lead comes through the door.

Psycho

> 3. 1943: His back to the camera, playing cards with a winning hand,
> on the train to Santa Rosa.

Shadow of a Doubt

> 4. 1955: Sitting next to Cary Grant on a bus.

To Catch a Thief

> 5. 1958: In a gray suit, carrying a musical instrument case, walking
> across the camera, in front of Gavin Elster's shipbuilding business.

Vertigo

> 6. 1963: Leaving a pet shop with two Sealyham terriers (his own).

The Birds

> 7. 1946: At the big party in Claude Rains's mansion, drinking
> champagne.

Notorious

> 8. 1954: Seen looking into a window from across the courtyard,
> winding a clock.

Rear Window

> 9. 1951: Boarding a train with a large musical instrument case.

Strangers on a Train

> 10. 1944: In before-and-after photos in a newspaper ad for "Reduco,
> the Obesity Slayer".

lifeboat

> * Game 4, Round 8 - Canadiana - Ontario Breweries

Not a chance...

Dan Blum

Jun 7, 2017, 9:40:41 AM6/7/17
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 4, Round 7 - Entertainment - Alfred Hitchcock's Movie Cameos

> 1. 1959: On the street, just missing a bus as the doors close in
> his face, after his screen credit appears.

North by Northwest

> 2. 1960: On the street wearing a cowboy hat, seen through an office
> window as the female lead comes through the door.

The Birds; Vertigo

> 3. 1943: His back to the camera, playing cards with a winning hand,
> on the train to Santa Rosa.

Strangers on a Train

> 4. 1955: Sitting next to Cary Grant on a bus.

Notorious

> 5. 1958: In a gray suit, carrying a musical instrument case, walking
> across the camera, in front of Gavin Elster's shipbuilding
> business.

Vertigo

> 6. 1963: Leaving a pet shop with two Sealyham terriers (his own).

The Birds

> 7. 1946: At the big party in Claude Rains's mansion, drinking
> champagne.

Notorious

> 8. 1954: Seen looking into a window from across the courtyard,
> winding a clock.

Rear Window

> 9. 1951: Boarding a train with a large musical instrument case.

Strangers on a Train

> 10. 1944: In before-and-after photos in a newspaper ad for "Reduco,
> the Obesity Slayer".

Rope

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Jason Kreitzer

Jun 7, 2017, 12:23:37 PM6/7/17
On Tuesday, June 6, 2017 at 11:08:13 PM UTC-4, Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2017-02-06,

> Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of 5 Easy Pieces and are
> used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
> been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information see
> my 2016-11-26 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 4, Round 7 - Entertainment - Alfred Hitchcock's Movie Cameos
>
> Alfred Hitchcock appeared for a brief moment in most of the films
> he directed. We give you the year the movie was released and
> describe the cameo; you give the title.
>
> 1. 1959: On the street, just missing a bus as the doors close in
> his face, after his screen credit appears.
>
> 2. 1960: On the street wearing a cowboy hat, seen through an office
> window as the female lead comes through the door.
"Psycho"
> 3. 1943: His back to the camera, playing cards with a winning hand,
> on the train to Santa Rosa.
"Strangers on a Train"
> 4. 1955: Sitting next to Cary Grant on a bus.
"North by Northwest"
> 5. 1958: In a gray suit, carrying a musical instrument case, walking
> across the camera, in front of Gavin Elster's shipbuilding
> business.
"Vertigo"?
> 6. 1963: Leaving a pet shop with two Sealyham terriers (his own).
"The Birds"

Joshua Kreitzer

Jun 7, 2017, 9:16:47 PM6/7/17
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:EqidnXbs7tKK86rEnZ2dnUU7-
THN...@giganews.com:

> * Game 4, Round 7 - Entertainment - Alfred Hitchcock's Movie Cameos
>
> Alfred Hitchcock appeared for a brief moment in most of the films
> he directed. We give you the year the movie was released and
> describe the cameo; you give the title.
>
> 1. 1959: On the street, just missing a bus as the doors close in
> his face, after his screen credit appears.

"North by Northwest"

> 2. 1960: On the street wearing a cowboy hat, seen through an office
> window as the female lead comes through the door.

"Psycho"

> 3. 1943: His back to the camera, playing cards with a winning hand,
> on the train to Santa Rosa.

"Shadow of a Doubt"

> 4. 1955: Sitting next to Cary Grant on a bus.

"The Man Who Knew Too Much"

> 5. 1958: In a gray suit, carrying a musical instrument case, walking
> across the camera, in front of Gavin Elster's shipbuilding
> business.

"Vertigo"

> 6. 1963: Leaving a pet shop with two Sealyham terriers (his own).

"The Birds"

> 7. 1946: At the big party in Claude Rains's mansion, drinking
> champagne.

"Notorious"

> 8. 1954: Seen looking into a window from across the courtyard,
> winding a clock.

"Rear Window"

> 9. 1951: Boarding a train with a large musical instrument case.

"Strangers on a Train"

> 10. 1944: In before-and-after photos in a newspaper ad for "Reduco,
> the Obesity Slayer".

"Lifeboat"

> * Game 4, Round 8 - Canadiana - Ontario Breweries
>
> Craft beers have taken off over the past several years. Let's see
> how much you know about the brews produced in Ontario. We will
> give you the location of the brewery in the province and two or
> three of the brewery's beers. You name the brewery.

No answers in this round.

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

Pete Gayde

Jun 8, 2017, 12:00:21 AM6/8/17
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:EqidnXbs7tKK86rEnZ2dnUU7-
THN...@giganews.com:

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2017-02-06,

> Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of 5 Easy Pieces and are
> used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
> been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information see
> my 2016-11-26 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 4, Round 7 - Entertainment - Alfred Hitchcock's Movie Cameos
>
> Alfred Hitchcock appeared for a brief moment in most of the films
> he directed. We give you the year the movie was released and
> describe the cameo; you give the title.
>
> 1. 1959: On the street, just missing a bus as the doors close in
> his face, after his screen credit appears.

North by Northwest

> 2. 1960: On the street wearing a cowboy hat, seen through an office
> window as the female lead comes through the door.

Psycho

> 3. 1943: His back to the camera, playing cards with a winning hand,
> on the train to Santa Rosa.
>
> 4. 1955: Sitting next to Cary Grant on a bus.
>
> 5. 1958: In a gray suit, carrying a musical instrument case, walking
> across the camera, in front of Gavin Elster's shipbuilding
> business.

Lifeboat

> 6. 1963: Leaving a pet shop with two Sealyham terriers (his own).

The Birds

> 7. 1946: At the big party in Claude Rains's mansion, drinking
> champagne.
>
> 8. 1954: Seen looking into a window from across the courtyard,
> winding a clock.

Rear Window

> 9. 1951: Boarding a train with a large musical instrument case.

Murder on the Orient Express

> 10. 1944: In before-and-after photos in a newspaper ad for "Reduco,
> the Obesity Slayer".
>

> * Game 4, Round 8 - Canadiana - Ontario Breweries
>
> Craft beers have taken off over the past several years. Let's see
> how much you know about the brews produced in Ontario. We will
> give you the location of the brewery in the province and two or
> three of the brewery's beers. You name the brewery.
>
> 1. Toronto (Etobicoke, to be exact): Pompous Ass, Lake Effect,
> Canuck Pale Ale.
>
> 2. Toronto: Fish Eye, Augusta Ale.
>
> 3. Hamilton: Rhyme, Reason and Ransack the Universe.
>
> 4. Hamilton: Headstock, Naughty Neighbour, Bolshevik Bastard.
>
> 5. Bracebridge: Mad Tom IPA, Detour.
>
> 6. Barrie: Hoptical Illusion, Smashbomb Atomic IPA.
>
> 7. Toronto: Fracture, Downtown Brown, Boneshaker.
>
> 8. Toronto: Conductor's Ale, Brakeman's Session Ale.
>
> 9. Toronto: Maris, Eephus, Sunlight Park.
>
> 10. Toronto: 100th Meridian, Lemon Tea Beer.

Pete Gayde

Marc Dashevsky

Jun 9, 2017, 12:14:39 PM6/9/17
> Subject: QFTCI5EP Game 4, Rounds 7-8: there's Hitch!, CanBeers
>
> * Game 4, Round 7 - Entertainment - Alfred Hitchcock's Movie Cameos
>
> Alfred Hitchcock appeared for a brief moment in most of the films
> he directed. We give you the year the movie was released and
> describe the cameo; you give the title.
>
> 1. 1959: On the street, just missing a bus as the doors close in
> his face, after his screen credit appears.
North By Northwest

> 2. 1960: On the street wearing a cowboy hat, seen through an office
> window as the female lead comes through the door.
>
> 3. 1943: His back to the camera, playing cards with a winning hand,
> on the train to Santa Rosa.
>
> 4. 1955: Sitting next to Cary Grant on a bus.
>
> 5. 1958: In a gray suit, carrying a musical instrument case, walking
> across the camera, in front of Gavin Elster's shipbuilding
> business.
Vertigo

> 6. 1963: Leaving a pet shop with two Sealyham terriers (his own).
The Birds

> 7. 1946: At the big party in Claude Rains's mansion, drinking
> champagne.
Notorious

> 8. 1954: Seen looking into a window from across the courtyard,
> winding a clock.
Rear Window

> 9. 1951: Boarding a train with a large musical instrument case.
Strangers On A Train

> 10. 1944: In before-and-after photos in a newspaper ad for "Reduco,
> the Obesity Slayer".

Mark Brader

Jun 9, 2017, 11:00:26 PM6/9/17
Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2017-02-06,
> see my 2016-11-26 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

> * Game 4, Round 7 - Entertainment - Alfred Hitchcock's Movie Cameos

> Alfred Hitchcock appeared for a brief moment in most of the films
> he directed. We give you the year the movie was released and
> describe the cameo; you give the title.

> 1. 1959: On the street, just missing a bus as the doors close in
> his face, after his screen credit appears.

"North by Northwest". 4 for Bruce, Dan, Joshua, Pete, and Marc.

> 2. 1960: On the street wearing a cowboy hat, seen through an office
> window as the female lead comes through the door.

"Psycho". 4 for Bruce, Jason, Joshua, and Pete.

> 3. 1943: His back to the camera, playing cards with a winning hand,
> on the train to Santa Rosa.

"Shadow of a Doubt". 4 for Bruce and Joshua.

> 4. 1955: Sitting next to Cary Grant on a bus.

"To Catch a Thief". 4 for Bruce.

> 5. 1958: In a gray suit, carrying a musical instrument case, walking
> across the camera, in front of Gavin Elster's shipbuilding
> business.

"Vertigo". 4 for Bruce, Dan, Jason, Joshua, and Marc.

> 6. 1963: Leaving a pet shop with two Sealyham terriers (his own).

"The Birds". 4 for everyone -- Bruce, Dan, Jason, Joshua, Pete,
and Marc.

> 7. 1946: At the big party in Claude Rains's mansion, drinking
> champagne.

"Notorious". 4 for Bruce, Dan, Joshua, and Marc.

> 8. 1954: Seen looking into a window from across the courtyard,
> winding a clock.

"Rear Window". 4 for Bruce, Dan, Joshua, Pete, and Marc.

> 9. 1951: Boarding a train with a large musical instrument case.

"Strangers on a Train". 4 for Bruce, Dan, Joshua, and Marc.

> 10. 1944: In before-and-after photos in a newspaper ad for "Reduco,
> the Obesity Slayer".

"Lifeboat". 4 for Bruce and Joshua.

The photos were real -- he'd lost weight recently -- but the product
is not.

As to the wrong guesses that weren't also correct answers to a
different question:

* In "Rope" (1948) he again appeared in an ad for Reduco, this time
a neon-sign billboard visible from the window of the apartment
where the story takes place. Some sources claim that he also
walks by the outside of the building during the opening credits,
but this is disputed.

* He made "The Man Who Knew Too Much" twice. In the original 1934
version, he crosses the street wearing a black coat, as a bus
passes by. In his 1956 remake, he appears in an early scene,
facing away from the camera, watching the acrobats.

* He did not make any version of "Murder on the Orient Express".
The all-star 1974 movie with Albert Finney as Hercule Poirot,
the 2001 TV-movie where Alfred Molina plays Poirot and the number
of characters is reduced, the 2010 version that was part of the
"Poirot" TV series starring David Suchet, and the upcoming 2017
movie starring Kenneth Branagh were directed respectively by Sidney
Lumet, Carl Schenkel, Philip Martin, and Branagh himself.

> * Game 4, Round 8 - Canadiana - Ontario Breweries

> Craft beers have taken off over the past several years. Let's see
> how much you know about the brews produced in Ontario. We will
> give you the location of the brewery in the province and two or
> three of the brewery's beers. You name the brewery.

> 1. Toronto (Etobicoke, to be exact): Pompous Ass, Lake Effect,
> Canuck Pale Ale.

Great Lakes.

> 2. Toronto: Fish Eye, Augusta Ale.

Kensington.

> 3. Hamilton: Rhyme, Reason and Ransack the Universe.

Collective Arts.

> 4. Hamilton: Headstock, Naughty Neighbour, Bolshevik Bastard.

Nickel Brook.

> 5. Bracebridge: Mad Tom IPA, Detour.

Muskoka.

> 6. Barrie: Hoptical Illusion, Smashbomb Atomic IPA.

Flying Monkeys.

> 7. Toronto: Fracture, Downtown Brown, Boneshaker.

Amsterdam.

> 8. Toronto: Conductor's Ale, Brakeman's Session Ale.

Junction.

> 9. Toronto: Maris, Eephus, Sunlight Park.

Left Field.

> 10. Toronto: 100th Meridian, Lemon Tea Beer.

Mill Street.

Unlike the first Canadiana round, nobody scored anything on this one,
so for our purposes here, it never happened. The winner of Game 4
will be determined based on your best 5 scores out of 7.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 4 ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 6 7 BEST
TOPICS-> Can His Sci Lit Ent THREE
Joshua Kreitzer 0 19 24 28 36 88
Dan Blum 0 28 32 12 24 84
Bruce Bowler -- -- 23 16 40 79
Marc Dashevsky 0 24 24 16 24 72
Gareth Owen 0 13 20 20 -- 53
Dan Tilque 4 12 20 16 -- 48
Pete Gayde 6 8 19 8 16 43
Peter Smyth 0 8 24 8 -- 40
Erland Sommarskog 0 11 26 0 -- 37
Jason Kreitzer 0 4 0 16 12 32
"Calvin" -- -- 15 16 -- 31

--
Mark Brader, Toronto | Actor sent to jail for not finishing sentence
m...@vex.net | --Knoxville, TN, News-Sentinel, 1989-01-21

Gareth Owen

Jun 10, 2017, 2:14:24 AM6/10/17
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) writes:

> 1. 1959: On the street, just missing a bus as the doors close in
> his face, after his screen credit appears.
>
> 2. 1960: On the street wearing a cowboy hat, seen through an office
> window as the female lead comes through the door.

Psycho

> 3. 1943: His back to the camera, playing cards with a winning hand,
> on the train to Santa Rosa.

Strangers On A Train

> 4. 1955: Sitting next to Cary Grant on a bus.

North by North West

> 5. 1958: In a gray suit, carrying a musical instrument case, walking
> across the camera, in front of Gavin Elster's shipbuilding
> business.

Lifeboat,

> 6. 1963: Leaving a pet shop with two Sealyham terriers (his own).

The Birds

> 7. 1946: At the big party in Claude Rains's mansion, drinking
> champagne.

Rope

> 8. 1954: Seen looking into a window from across the courtyard,
> winding a clock.

Rear Window

> 9. 1951: Boarding a train with a large musical instrument case.

Strangers On A Train

> 10. 1944: In before-and-after photos in a newspaper ad for "Reduco,
> the Obesity Slayer".

Lifeboat

Mark Brader

Jun 10, 2017, 5:20:03 PM6/10/17
If Gareth Owen's answers had been posted on time, he would have scored
20 points on Round 7, and Round 8 would still never have happened.
--
Mark Brader | "...it's a characteristic ... of organizations that try
Toronto | to anticipate every possible failure: they easily