Calvin's Quiz #498

Calvin

Aug 9, 2017, 10:14:12 PM8/9/17

1 Which legendary character of English folklore is a more dangerous man than the Sheriff of Nottingham? A hired assassin who tries to kill Robin Hood, he is also a rival for Maid Marion's love.
2 In which sport can misconduct see a player receive a yellow, red or green card?
3 The city of Malaga is located in which European country?
4 Who directed "Bridge on the River Kwai" (1957) and "Lawrence of Arabia" (1962)?
5 The Eightfold Path and the Four Noble Truths are important concepts in which religion?
6 In the Tour de France, which rider wears the polka dot jersey?
7 In which US city was the 1987 Brian de Palma film 'The Untouchables' set?
8 Which Chilean General overthrew Salvador Allende in 1973?
9 Though first released in 1976, the dystopian rock song "Miami 2017 (Seen the Lights Go Out on Broadway)" has undergone something of a revival this year. Which American singer-songwriter wrote and originally recorded it?
10 Andrew Lloyd Webber wrote the music for "Evita", but who wrote the lyrics?

cheers,
calvin

Dan Blum

Aug 9, 2017, 11:20:32 PM8/9/17
Calvin <334...@gmail.com> wrote:

> 1 Which legendary character of English folklore is a more dangerous man than the Sheriff of Nottingham? A hired assassin who tries to kill Robin Hood, he is also a rival for Maid Marion's love.

Guy of Guisborne

> 2 In which sport can misconduct see a player receive a yellow, red or green card?

soccer

> 3 The city of Malaga is located in which European country?

Portugal

> 4 Who directed "Bridge on the River Kwai" (1957) and "Lawrence of Arabia" (1962)?

David Lean

> 5 The Eightfold Path and the Four Noble Truths are important concepts in which religion?

Buddhism

> 6 In the Tour de France, which rider wears the polka dot jersey?

stage leader

> 7 In which US city was the 1987 Brian de Palma film 'The Untouchables' set?

Chicago

> 8 Which Chilean General overthrew Salvador Allende in 1973?

Pinochet

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Mark Brader

Aug 10, 2017, 2:09:25 AM8/10/17
"Calvin":
> 1 Which legendary character of English folklore is a more
> dangerous man than the Sheriff of Nottingham? A hired assassin
> who tries to kill Robin Hood, he is also a rival for Maid
> Marion's love.

Guy of Gisborne?

> 2 In which sport can misconduct see a player receive a yellow,
> red or green card?

Rugby?

> 3 The city of Malaga is located in which European country?

Spain.

> 4 Who directed "Bridge on the River Kwai" (1957) and "Lawrence of
> Arabia" (1962)?

Lean.

> 5 The Eightfold Path and the Four Noble Truths are important
> concepts in which religion?

Buddhism.

> 6 In the Tour de France, which rider wears the polka dot jersey?

The one who takes the lowest dose of drugs?

> 7 In which US city was the 1987 Brian de Palma film 'The
> Untouchables' set?

Chicago.

> 8 Which Chilean General overthrew Salvador Allende in 1973?

Pinochet?

> 9 Though first released in 1976, the dystopian rock song "Miami
> 2017 (Seen the Lights Go Out on Broadway)" has undergone
> something of a revival this year. Which American
> singer-songwriter wrote and originally recorded it?

Johnson.

> 10 Andrew Lloyd Webber wrote the music for "Evita", but who wrote
> the lyrics?

Johnson.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto "C and C++ are two different languages.
m...@vex.net That's UK policy..." -- Clive Feather

Marc Dashevsky

Aug 10, 2017, 2:54:32 AM8/10/17
In article <8c9183a0-d85d-483b...@googlegroups.com>, 334...@gmail.com says...

> 1 Which legendary character of English folklore is a more dangerous man than the Sheriff of Nottingham? A hired assassin who tries to kill Robin Hood, he is also a rival for Maid Marion's love.
Basil Rathbone

> 2 In which sport can misconduct see a player receive a yellow, red or green card?
> 3 The city of Malaga is located in which European country?
> 4 Who directed "Bridge on the River Kwai" (1957) and "Lawrence of Arabia" (1962)?
David Lean

> 5 The Eightfold Path and the Four Noble Truths are important concepts in which religion?
Buddhism

> 6 In the Tour de France, which rider wears the polka dot jersey?
> 7 In which US city was the 1987 Brian de Palma film 'The Untouchables' set?
Chicago

> 8 Which Chilean General overthrew Salvador Allende in 1973?
Pinochet

> 9 Though first released in 1976, the dystopian rock song "Miami 2017 (Seen the Lights Go Out on Broadway)" has undergone something of a revival this year. Which American singer-songwriter wrote and originally recorded it?
> 10 Andrew Lloyd Webber wrote the music for "Evita", but who wrote the lyrics?
>
> cheers,
> calvin

Erland Sommarskog

Aug 10, 2017, 3:21:04 AM8/10/17
Calvin (334...@gmail.com) writes:
> 1 Which legendary character of English folklore is a more dangerous
> man than the Sheriff of Nottingham? A hired assassin who tries to kill
> Robin Hood, he is also a rival for Maid Marion's love.

Long Lankin

> 2 In which sport can misconduct see a player receive a yellow, red
> or green card?

Field hockey

(Green cards can also appear in football, mainly in junior games, in
addition to red and yellow, but then it is award for fair play.)

> 3 The city of Malaga is located in which European country?

Spain

> 5 The Eightfold Path and the Four Noble Truths are important
> concepts in which religion?

Buddhism

> 6 In the Tour de France, which rider wears the polka dot jersey?

Best mountain climber

> 8 Which Chilean General overthrew Salvador Allende in 1973?

Pinochet

> 10 Andrew Lloyd Webber wrote the music for "Evita", but who wrote
> the lyrics?

Tim Rice

Dan Tilque

Aug 10, 2017, 7:37:09 AM8/10/17
Calvin wrote:
> 1 Which legendary character of English folklore is a more dangerous man than the Sheriff of Nottingham? A hired assassin who tries to kill Robin Hood, he is also a rival for Maid Marion's love.
> 2 In which sport can misconduct see a player receive a yellow, red or green card?
> 3 The city of Malaga is located in which European country?

Spain

> 4 Who directed "Bridge on the River Kwai" (1957) and "Lawrence of Arabia" (1962)?
> 5 The Eightfold Path and the Four Noble Truths are important concepts in which religion?

Buddhism

> 6 In the Tour de France, which rider wears the polka dot jersey?

king of the mountains

> 7 In which US city was the 1987 Brian de Palma film 'The Untouchables' set?

Chicago

> 8 Which Chilean General overthrew Salvador Allende in 1973?

Pinochet

> 9 Though first released in 1976, the dystopian rock song "Miami 2017 (Seen the Lights Go Out on Broadway)" has undergone something of a revival this year. Which American singer-songwriter wrote and originally recorded it?
> 10 Andrew Lloyd Webber wrote the music for "Evita", but who wrote the lyrics?

--
Dan Tilque

Peter Smyth

Aug 10, 2017, 1:05:13 PM8/10/17
Calvin wrote:

> 1 Which legendary character of English folklore is a more dangerous man
> than the Sheriff of Nottingham? A hired assassin who tries to kill Robin
> Hood, he is also a rival for Maid Marion's love.
>
> 2 In which sport can misconduct see a player receive a yellow, red or
> green card?
Hockey
> 3 The city of Malaga is located in which European country?
Spain
> 4 Who directed "Bridge on the River Kwai" (1957) and "Lawrence of
> Arabia" (1962)?
David someone
> 5 The Eightfold Path and the Four Noble Truths are important concepts
> in which religion?
Buddhism
> 6 In the Tour de France, which rider wears the polka dot jersey?
The leader of the King of the Mountains competition (and not the best
climber, who will probably be far more concerned with trying to win the
yellow jersey)
> 7 In which US city was the 1987 Brian de Palma film 'The Untouchables'
> set?
>
> 8 Which Chilean General overthrew Salvador Allende in 1973?
Pinochet
> 9 Though first released in 1976, the dystopian rock song "Miami 2017
> (Seen the Lights Go Out on Broadway)" has undergone something of a
> revival this year. Which American singer-songwriter wrote and originally
> recorded it?
>
> 10 Andrew Lloyd Webber wrote the music for "Evita", but who wrote the
> lyrics?
Tim Rice

Peter Smyth

Pete Gayde

Aug 10, 2017, 6:54:31 PM8/10/17
Calvin <334...@gmail.com> wrote in

> 1 Which legendary character of English folklore is a more
> dangerous man than the Sheriff of Nottingham? A hired assassin who
> tries to kill Robin Hood, he is also a rival for Maid Marion's love.
> 2 In which sport can misconduct see a player receive a yellow, red
> or green card?

Rugby

> 3 The city of Malaga is located in which European country?

Spain

> 4 Who directed "Bridge on the River Kwai" (1957) and
> "Lawrence of Arabia" (1962)?

Lean

> 5 The Eightfold Path and the Four
> Noble Truths are important concepts in which religion?

Buddhism

> 6 In the
> Tour de France, which rider wears the polka dot jersey?

Best in the mountains

> 7 In which
> US city was the 1987 Brian de Palma film 'The Untouchables' set?

Chicago

> 8 Which Chilean General overthrew Salvador Allende in 1973?

Pinochet

> 9 Though
> first released in 1976, the dystopian rock song "Miami 2017 (Seen the
> Lights Go Out on Broadway)" has undergone something of a revival this
> year. Which American singer-songwriter wrote and originally recorded
> it?
> 10 Andrew Lloyd Webber wrote the music for "Evita", but who
> wrote the lyrics?

Tim Rice

> cheers,
> calvin

Pete Gayde

Chris F.A. Johnson

Aug 11, 2017, 6:08:03 PM8/11/17
On 2017-08-10, Calvin wrote:

> 1 Which legendary character of English folklore is a more dangerous man than the Sheriff of Nottingham? A hired assassin who tries to kill Robin Hood, he is also a rival for Maid Marion's love.

Guy of Gisborne

> 2 In which sport can misconduct see a player receive a yellow, red or green card?

Football (a.k.a. soccer)

> 3 The city of Malaga is located in which European country?

Spain

> 4 Who directed "Bridge on the River Kwai" (1957) and "Lawrence of Arabia" (1962)?

David Lean

> 5 The Eightfold Path and the Four Noble Truths are important concepts in which religion?

Buddhism

> 6 In the Tour de France, which rider wears the polka dot jersey?
> 7 In which US city was the 1987 Brian de Palma film 'The Untouchables' set?

Chicago

> 8 Which Chilean General overthrew Salvador Allende in 1973?

Pinochet

> 9 Though first released in 1976, the dystopian rock song "Miami 2017 (Seen the Lights Go Out on Broadway)" has undergone something of a revival this year. Which American singer-songwriter wrote and originally recorded it?
> 10 Andrew Lloyd Webber wrote the music for "Evita", but who wrote the lyrics?

Sondheim

--
Chris F.A. Johnson

Calvin

Aug 17, 2017, 8:14:59 PM8/17/17
On Thursday, August 10, 2017 at 12:14:12 PM UTC+10, Calvin wrote:

> 1 Which legendary character of English folklore is a more dangerous man than the Sheriff of Nottingham? A hired assassin who tries to kill Robin Hood, he is also a rival for Maid Marion's love.

Guy of Gisborne

> 2 In which sport can misconduct see a player receive a yellow, red or green card?

[Field] Hockey

> 3 The city of Malaga is located in which European country?

Spain

> 4 Who directed "Bridge on the River Kwai" (1957) and "Lawrence of Arabia" (1962)?

David Lean

> 5 The Eightfold Path and the Four Noble Truths are important concepts in which religion?

Buddhism

> 6 In the Tour de France, which rider wears the polka dot jersey?

"King of the Mountains" or similar

> 7 In which US city was the 1987 Brian de Palma film 'The Untouchables' set?

Chicago

> 8 Which Chilean General overthrew Salvador Allende in 1973?

Augusto Pinochet

> 9 Though first released in 1976, the dystopian rock song "Miami 2017 (Seen the Lights Go Out on Broadway)" has undergone something of a revival this year. Which American singer-songwriter wrote and originally recorded it?

Billy Joel
No-one got this. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miami_2017_(Seen_the_Lights_Go_Out_on_Broadway)

> 10 Andrew Lloyd Webber wrote the music for "Evita", but who wrote the lyrics?

Tim Rice

Q1 Q2 Q3 Q4 Q5 Q6 Q7 Q8 Q9 Q10 TOTAL TB Quiz 498
0 0 1 1 1 1 1 1 0 1 7 40 Pete Gayde
0 1 1 0 1 1 0 1 0 1 6 30 Peter Smyth
0 1 1 0 1 1 0 1 0 1 6 30 Erland S
1 0 1 1 1 0 1 1 0 0 6 36 Chris Johnson