QFTCI16 Game 10, Rounds 9-10: e naribus, trial/challenge

Mark Brader

Oct 29, 2016, 2:43:07 AM10/29/16
These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2016-07-25,
and should be interpreted accordingly.

Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

All questions were written by members of the Usual Suspects and
are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
see my 2016-05-31 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

I wrote both of these rounds.

* Game 10, Round 9 - Science - Tanquam e Naribus Leonem

When Johann Bernoulli saw how the problem of the brachistochrone
had been solved, he immediately identified the anonymous author as
Isaac Newton, remarking in Latin: "I recognize the lion by his paw".
In this round you will similarly have to identify the type of each
animal -- but not by its paw. Here's your handout:

http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/10-9/leonem.jpg

In all cases on this round the one-word common term will be
sufficient; for example, zebra, not Grevy's zebra. And, credit
where due: both the concept and the photo array are taken directly
from sporcle.com.

Here I'm rearranging the questions in order by picture. There were
10 decoys, some of them very easy; identify these if you like for
fun, but for no points.

1. A (decoy)
2. B (decoy)
3. C (decoy)
4. D.
5. E.
6. F (decoy)
7. G (decoy)
8. H.
9. I.
10. J.
11. K (decoy)
12. L (decoy)
13. M.
14. N.
15. O.
16. P.
17. Q (decoy)
18. R (decoy)
19. S (decoy)
20. T.

** Game 10, Round 10 - Trials and Challenges

The categories for this round are: Trials, Trial, Try Al,
Challenged, Challenging, and Challenges.

* A. Literature: Trials

In 2013 the Journal of the American Bar Association convened a
panel to name the 25 best law-related novels of all time. #1 on
the list was "To Kill a Mockingbird". We will ask about two others.

A1. This novel by Charles Dickens, #3 on the list, features
a seemingly endless trial over an inheritance: the case of
Jarndyce versus Jarndyce, or as they would pronounce it in
England, "Jarndyce and Jarndyce". Name it.

A2. Novel #6 on the list is by Herman Melville. An inarticulate
young seaman falsely accused of a crime throws a single punch
at his accuser, an officer named Claggart--and Claggart dies.
Captain Vere has no option under the law but to try the
sailor for murder. Name the book.

* B. History: Trial

B1. After World War II ended, leading figures in the Nazi
regime were put on trial as "major war criminals" by an
"International Military Tribunal" in Nuremberg. Why not
in Berlin?

B2. The trial of "major war criminals" was only the first of
a series of 12 prosecutions at Nuremberg, but it is the one
we're asking about. 21 men faced charges such as war crimes,
crimes against humanity, and waging aggressive war, and a
22nd man who could not be found was tried "in absentia".
Of the 22, 3 were acquitted; 7 were sentenced to prison,
and 12 to death. Name *any one* of the 12 who were sentenced
to death.

* C. Entertainment: Try Al

These questions will each be about a specific movie. We won't
give you the title, but we won't ask you for it either; you'll
have to name someone who appears in the movie.

C1. Name the singer and actor who in 1927 uttered the famous
line: "Wait a minute, wait a minute. You ain't heard
nothing yet!"

C2. Name the actor who in 1979, as a lawyer pushed past his
breaking point, shouts to the judge: "*You're* out of order!
*You're* out of order! The *whole trial* is out of order!"

* D. Canadiana: Challenged

D1. Terry Fox became famous when he set out to cross Canada
on foot -- which is to say, on his one remaining foot and a
prosthetic limb -- only to fail because his cancer returned.
Within 2, what year was that?

D2. Another Canadian whose leg was amputated went on to become
premier of his province. In his case it wasn't cancer
but necrotizing fasciitis -- the "flesh-eating disease".
Who was he?

* E. Geography: Challenging

E1. If you tried to travel from here to, say, Argentina, in an
ordinary car, the farthest you could get is a town called
Yaviza. The next 100 km (60 miles) or so is difficult
country with swamps and forests that no one has ever found
the money to put a road through, and for environmental
reasons some feel it should never be done. Either give
the name of this gap in the road system of the Americas,
or just say what country Yaviza is in.

E2. Another place where it's difficult to travel, though at
least there are some roads these days, is a type of terrain
that can be found in the southwestern part of South Dakota,
among other places. In that particular place, you'll find
a national park named for that type of difficult terrain.
What is that name?

* F. Sports: Challenges

Some trophies, such as our league's Christmas Cup, are awarded
on a regular basis to whichever contenders perform best on that
occasion. But others are challenge trophies, meaning that for a
contender to win the trophy, they must first declare a challenge
and then beat the previous holder. These two questions are about
challenge trophies.

F1. This trophy was a challenge trophy for the first 20 years or
so that it existed, and was contested over 40 times during
that period. Today, though, it represents the annual
championship of a single major sports league that did not
even exist during that earlier era. Name the trophy.

F2. This trophy was first awarded in 1851 and its name
commemorates its first winner. A few years later it was
made a challenge trophy, but in about 160 years since then,
it has only been contested 34 times. The 35th time will
be next year in Bermuda. What trophy?

--
Mark Brader "...most mistakes are made the last thing before
Toronto you go to bed. So go to bed before you do

Peter Smyth

Oct 29, 2016, 5:20:04 AM10/29/16
Lion
> 2. B (decoy)
Elephant
> 3. C (decoy)
Pig
> 4. D.
> 5. E.
Rabbit
> 6. F (decoy)
Cow
> 7. G (decoy)
Tiger
> 8. H.
Frog
> 9. I.
Dolphin
> 10. J.
Dog
> 11. K (decoy)
Duck
> 12. L (decoy)
Koala
> 13. M.
> 14. N.
> 15. O.
Koala
> 16. P.
Hippopotamus
> 17. Q (decoy)
> 18. R (decoy)
> 19. S (decoy)
> 20. T.
>

> ** Game 10, Round 10 - Trials and Challenges
>
> The categories for this round are: Trials, Trial, Try Al,
> Challenged, Challenging, and Challenges.
>
> * A. Literature: Trials
>
> In 2013 the Journal of the American Bar Association convened a
> panel to name the 25 best law-related novels of all time. #1 on
> the list was "To Kill a Mockingbird". We will ask about two others.
>
> A1. This novel by Charles Dickens, #3 on the list, features
> a seemingly endless trial over an inheritance: the case of
> Jarndyce versus Jarndyce, or as they would pronounce it in
> England, "Jarndyce and Jarndyce". Name it.
Bleak House
> A2. Novel #6 on the list is by Herman Melville. An inarticulate
> young seaman falsely accused of a crime throws a single punch
> at his accuser, an officer named Claggart--and Claggart dies.
> Captain Vere has no option under the law but to try the
> sailor for murder. Name the book.
Moby Dick

> * B. History: Trial
>
> B1. After World War II ended, leading figures in the Nazi
> regime were put on trial as "major war criminals" by an
> "International Military Tribunal" in Nuremberg. Why not
> in Berlin?
It was partly Soviet controlled
> B2. The trial of "major war criminals" was only the first of
> a series of 12 prosecutions at Nuremberg, but it is the one
> we're asking about. 21 men faced charges such as war crimes,
> crimes against humanity, and waging aggressive war, and a
> 22nd man who could not be found was tried "in absentia".
> Of the 22, 3 were acquitted; 7 were sentenced to prison,
> and 12 to death. Name *any one* of the 12 who were sentenced
> to death.
Goering

> * C. Entertainment: Try Al
>
> These questions will each be about a specific movie. We won't
> give you the title, but we won't ask you for it either; you'll
> have to name someone who appears in the movie.
>
> C1. Name the singer and actor who in 1927 uttered the famous
> line: "Wait a minute, wait a minute. You ain't heard
> nothing yet!"
>
> C2. Name the actor who in 1979, as a lawyer pushed past his
> breaking point, shouts to the judge: "*You're* out of order!
> You're out of order! The *whole trial* is out of order!"
Dustin Hoffman

> * D. Canadiana: Challenged
>
> D1. Terry Fox became famous when he set out to cross Canada
> on foot -- which is to say, on his one remaining foot and a
> prosthetic limb -- only to fail because his cancer returned.
> Within 2, what year was that?
>
> D2. Another Canadian whose leg was amputated went on to become
> premier of his province. In his case it wasn't cancer
> but necrotizing fasciitis -- the "flesh-eating disease".
> Who was he?
>

> * E. Geography: Challenging
>
> E1. If you tried to travel from here to, say, Argentina, in an
> ordinary car, the farthest you could get is a town called
> Yaviza. The next 100 km (60 miles) or so is difficult
> country with swamps and forests that no one has ever found
> the money to put a road through, and for environmental
> reasons some feel it should never be done. Either give
> the name of this gap in the road system of the Americas,
> or just say what country Yaviza is in.
Darien Gap
> E2. Another place where it's difficult to travel, though at
> least there are some roads these days, is a type of terrain
> that can be found in the southwestern part of South Dakota,
> among other places. In that particular place, you'll find
> a national park named for that type of difficult terrain.
> What is that name?
>

> * F. Sports: Challenges
>
> Some trophies, such as our league's Christmas Cup, are awarded
> on a regular basis to whichever contenders perform best on that
> occasion. But others are challenge trophies, meaning that for a
> contender to win the trophy, they must first declare a challenge
> and then beat the previous holder. These two questions are about
> challenge trophies.
>
> F1. This trophy was a challenge trophy for the first 20 years or
> so that it existed, and was contested over 40 times during
> that period. Today, though, it represents the annual
> championship of a single major sports league that did not
> even exist during that earlier era. Name the trophy.
Stanley Cup
> F2. This trophy was first awarded in 1851 and its name
> commemorates its first winner. A few years later it was
> made a challenge trophy, but in about 160 years since then,
> it has only been contested 34 times. The 35th time will
> be next year in Bermuda. What trophy?
America's Cup

Peter Smyth

Björn Lundin

Oct 29, 2016, 8:15:04 AM10/29/16
Dog (rotweiler)

> 5. E.
Rabbit

> 6. F (decoy)
> 7. G (decoy)
> 8. H.
Stingray
> 9. I.
Shark

> 10. J.
Bear

> 11. K (decoy)
> 12. L (decoy)
> 13. M.
Mole

> 14. N.
Horse
> 15. O.
Lemur
> 16. P.
Walruss
> 17. Q (decoy)
> 18. R (decoy)
> 19. S (decoy)
> 20. T.
Rhinosaurus

> ** Game 10, Round 10 - Trials and Challenges
>
> The categories for this round are: Trials, Trial, Try Al,
> Challenged, Challenging, and Challenges.
>
> * A. Literature: Trials
>

> * B. History: Trial
>
> B1. After World War II ended, leading figures in the Nazi
> regime were put on trial as "major war criminals" by an
> "International Military Tribunal" in Nuremberg. Why not
> in Berlin?

Perhaps symbolic because of the Nũrnberg laws?

> B2. The trial of "major war criminals" was only the first of
> a series of 12 prosecutions at Nuremberg, but it is the one
> we're asking about. 21 men faced charges such as war crimes,
> crimes against humanity, and waging aggressive war, and a
> 22nd man who could not be found was tried "in absentia".
> Of the 22, 3 were acquitted; 7 were sentenced to prison,
> and 12 to death. Name *any one* of the 12 who were sentenced
> to death.

Göring

> * C. Entertainment: Try Al
>
> These questions will each be about a specific movie. We won't
> give you the title, but we won't ask you for it either; you'll
> have to name someone who appears in the movie.
>

> C2. Name the actor who in 1979, as a lawyer pushed past his
> breaking point, shouts to the judge: "*You're* out of order!
> *You're* out of order! The *whole trial* is out of order!"

Al Pacino?

> * D. Canadiana: Challenged
>
> D1. Terry Fox became famous when he set out to cross Canada
> on foot -- which is to say, on his one remaining foot and a
> prosthetic limb -- only to fail because his cancer returned.
> Within 2, what year was that?

2003

> * E. Geography: Challenging
>
> E1. If you tried to travel from here to, say, Argentina, in an
> ordinary car, the farthest you could get is a town called
> Yaviza. The next 100 km (60 miles) or so is difficult
> country with swamps and forests that no one has ever found
> the money to put a road through, and for environmental
> reasons some feel it should never be done. Either give
> the name of this gap in the road system of the Americas,
> or just say what country Yaviza is in.

Columbia; Panama

> E2. Another place where it's difficult to travel, though at
> least there are some roads these days, is a type of terrain
> that can be found in the southwestern part of South Dakota,
> among other places. In that particular place, you'll find
> a national park named for that type of difficult terrain.
> What is that name?

Black Hills?

Björn

Joshua Kreitzer

Oct 29, 2016, 10:43:17 AM10/29/16
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:FPGdnY6D0ulo2YnFnZ2dnUU7-
f_N...@giganews.com:

> * Game 10, Round 9 - Science - Tanquam e Naribus Leonem
>
> In this round you will similarly have to identify the type of each
> animal -- but not by its paw. Here's your handout:
>
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/10-9/leonem.jpg

> 5. E.
rabbit

> 10. J.
dog

> 14. N.
horse

> 15. O.
squirrel

> ** Game 10, Round 10 - Trials and Challenges
>
> The categories for this round are: Trials, Trial, Try Al,
> Challenged, Challenging, and Challenges.
>
> * A. Literature: Trials
>
> In 2013 the Journal of the American Bar Association convened a
> panel to name the 25 best law-related novels of all time. #1 on
> the list was "To Kill a Mockingbird". We will ask about two others.
>
> A1. This novel by Charles Dickens, #3 on the list, features
> a seemingly endless trial over an inheritance: the case of
> Jarndyce versus Jarndyce, or as they would pronounce it in
> England, "Jarndyce and Jarndyce". Name it.

"Bleak House"

> A2. Novel #6 on the list is by Herman Melville. An inarticulate
> young seaman falsely accused of a crime throws a single punch
> at his accuser, an officer named Claggart--and Claggart dies.
> Captain Vere has no option under the law but to try the
> sailor for murder. Name the book.

"Typee"; "Omoo"

> * B. History: Trial
>
> B1. After World War II ended, leading figures in the Nazi
> regime were put on trial as "major war criminals" by an
> "International Military Tribunal" in Nuremberg. Why not
> in Berlin?

Berlin was in ruins

> * C. Entertainment: Try Al
>
> These questions will each be about a specific movie. We won't
> give you the title, but we won't ask you for it either; you'll
> have to name someone who appears in the movie.
>
> C1. Name the singer and actor who in 1927 uttered the famous
> line: "Wait a minute, wait a minute. You ain't heard
> nothing yet!"

Al Jolson

> C2. Name the actor who in 1979, as a lawyer pushed past his
> breaking point, shouts to the judge: "*You're* out of order!
> *You're* out of order! The *whole trial* is out of order!"

Al Pacino

> * D. Canadiana: Challenged
>
> D1. Terry Fox became famous when he set out to cross Canada
> on foot -- which is to say, on his one remaining foot and a
> prosthetic limb -- only to fail because his cancer returned.
> Within 2, what year was that?

1981

> * E. Geography: Challenging
>
> E1. If you tried to travel from here to, say, Argentina, in an
> ordinary car, the farthest you could get is a town called
> Yaviza. The next 100 km (60 miles) or so is difficult
> country with swamps and forests that no one has ever found
> the money to put a road through, and for environmental
> reasons some feel it should never be done. Either give
> the name of this gap in the road system of the Americas,
> or just say what country Yaviza is in.

Darien Gap; Panama

> E2. Another place where it's difficult to travel, though at
> least there are some roads these days, is a type of terrain
> that can be found in the southwestern part of South Dakota,
> among other places. In that particular place, you'll find
> a national park named for that type of difficult terrain.
> What is that name?

Badlands

> * F. Sports: Challenges
>
> F1. This trophy was a challenge trophy for the first 20 years or
> so that it existed, and was contested over 40 times during
> that period. Today, though, it represents the annual
> championship of a single major sports league that did not
> even exist during that earlier era. Name the trophy.

Stanley Cup

> F2. This trophy was first awarded in 1851 and its name
> commemorates its first winner. A few years later it was
> made a challenge trophy, but in about 160 years since then,
> it has only been contested 34 times. The 35th time will
> be next year in Bermuda. What trophy?

America's Cup

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

Dan Blum

Oct 29, 2016, 11:14:46 AM10/29/16
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 10, Round 9 - Science - Tanquam e Naribus Leonem

> 4. D.

dog

> 5. E.

rabbit

> 8. H.

snake

> 9. I.

shark

> 10. J.

kangaroo

> 13. M.

star-nosed mole

> 14. N.

deer

> 15. O.

raccoon

> 16. P.

walrus

> 20. T.

rhinoceros

> ** Game 10, Round 10 - Trials and Challenges

> * A. Literature: Trials

> A1. This novel by Charles Dickens, #3 on the list, features
> a seemingly endless trial over an inheritance: the case of
> Jarndyce versus Jarndyce, or as they would pronounce it in
> England, "Jarndyce and Jarndyce". Name it.

Bleak House; Hard Times

> A2. Novel #6 on the list is by Herman Melville. An inarticulate
> young seaman falsely accused of a crime throws a single punch
> at his accuser, an officer named Claggart--and Claggart dies.
> Captain Vere has no option under the law but to try the
> sailor for murder. Name the book.

Billy Budd

> * B. History: Trial

> B1. After World War II ended, leading figures in the Nazi
> regime were put on trial as "major war criminals" by an
> "International Military Tribunal" in Nuremberg. Why not
> in Berlin?

too much of it was destroyed; the divided control made it difficult

> B2. The trial of "major war criminals" was only the first of
> a series of 12 prosecutions at Nuremberg, but it is the one
> we're asking about. 21 men faced charges such as war crimes,
> crimes against humanity, and waging aggressive war, and a
> 22nd man who could not be found was tried "in absentia".
> Of the 22, 3 were acquitted; 7 were sentenced to prison,
> and 12 to death. Name *any one* of the 12 who were sentenced
> to death.

Hermann Goering

> * C. Entertainment: Try Al

> C1. Name the singer and actor who in 1927 uttered the famous
> line: "Wait a minute, wait a minute. You ain't heard
> nothing yet!"

Al Jolson

> C2. Name the actor who in 1979, as a lawyer pushed past his
> breaking point, shouts to the judge: "*You're* out of order!
> *You're* out of order! The *whole trial* is out of order!"

Paul Newman

> * D. Canadiana: Challenged

> D1. Terry Fox became famous when he set out to cross Canada
> on foot -- which is to say, on his one remaining foot and a
> prosthetic limb -- only to fail because his cancer returned.
> Within 2, what year was that?

1980; 1990

> * E. Geography: Challenging

> E1. If you tried to travel from here to, say, Argentina, in an
> ordinary car, the farthest you could get is a town called
> Yaviza. The next 100 km (60 miles) or so is difficult
> country with swamps and forests that no one has ever found
> the money to put a road through, and for environmental
> reasons some feel it should never be done. Either give
> the name of this gap in the road system of the Americas,
> or just say what country Yaviza is in.

Panama; Colombia

> E2. Another place where it's difficult to travel, though at
> least there are some roads these days, is a type of terrain
> that can be found in the southwestern part of South Dakota,
> among other places. In that particular place, you'll find
> a national park named for that type of difficult terrain.
> What is that name?

badlands

> * F. Sports: Challenges

> F1. This trophy was a challenge trophy for the first 20 years or
> so that it existed, and was contested over 40 times during
> that period. Today, though, it represents the annual
> championship of a single major sports league that did not
> even exist during that earlier era. Name the trophy.

Stanley Cup

> F2. This trophy was first awarded in 1851 and its name
> commemorates its first winner. A few years later it was
> made a challenge trophy, but in about 160 years since then,
> it has only been contested 34 times. The 35th time will
> be next year in Bermuda. What trophy?

America's Cup

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Erland Sommarskog

Oct 29, 2016, 5:35:50 PM10/29/16
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> 4. D.

Dog

> 5. E.

Cat

> 9. I.

Dolphin

> B1. After World War II ended, leading figures in the Nazi
> regime were put on trial as "major war criminals" by an
> "International Military Tribunal" in Nuremberg. Why not
> in Berlin?

There wasn't any good venue due to the devastation of the war.

> B2. The trial of "major war criminals" was only the first of
> a series of 12 prosecutions at Nuremberg, but it is the one
> we're asking about. 21 men faced charges such as war crimes,
> crimes against humanity, and waging aggressive war, and a
> 22nd man who could not be found was tried "in absentia".
> Of the 22, 3 were acquitted; 7 were sentenced to prison,
> and 12 to death. Name *any one* of the 12 who were sentenced
> to death.
Dönitz

> * E. Geography: Challenging
>
> E1. If you tried to travel from here to, say, Argentina, in an
> ordinary car, the farthest you could get is a town called
> Yaviza. The next 100 km (60 miles) or so is difficult
> country with swamps and forests that no one has ever found
> the money to put a road through, and for environmental
> reasons some feel it should never be done. Either give
> the name of this gap in the road system of the Americas,
> or just say what country Yaviza is in.

Venezuela

> F2. This trophy was first awarded in 1851 and its name
> commemorates its first winner. A few years later it was
> made a challenge trophy, but in about 160 years since then,
> it has only been contested 34 times. The 35th time will
> be next year in Bermuda. What trophy?

America's Cup

Jason Kreitzer

Oct 29, 2016, 7:22:03 PM10/29/16
Lion
> 2. B (decoy)
Elephant
> 3. C (decoy)
Pig
> 4. D.
Horse?
> 5. E.
Rabbit
> 6. F (decoy)
Cow
> 7. G (decoy)
Tiger
> 8. H.
Frog
> 9. I.
> 10. J.
Dog
> 11. K (decoy)
> 12. L (decoy)
> 13. M.
> 14. N.
> 15. O.
> 16. P.
Manatee
> 17. Q (decoy)
Giraffe
> 18. R (decoy)
> 19. S (decoy)
> 20. T.
Rhinoceros

> ** Game 10, Round 10 - Trials and Challenges
>
> The categories for this round are: Trials, Trial, Try Al,
> Challenged, Challenging, and Challenges.
>
> * A. Literature: Trials
>
> In 2013 the Journal of the American Bar Association convened a
> panel to name the 25 best law-related novels of all time. #1 on
> the list was "To Kill a Mockingbird". We will ask about two others.
>
> A1. This novel by Charles Dickens, #3 on the list, features
> a seemingly endless trial over an inheritance: the case of
> Jarndyce versus Jarndyce, or as they would pronounce it in
> England, "Jarndyce and Jarndyce". Name it.
>
> A2. Novel #6 on the list is by Herman Melville. An inarticulate
> young seaman falsely accused of a crime throws a single punch
> at his accuser, an officer named Claggart--and Claggart dies.
> Captain Vere has no option under the law but to try the
> sailor for murder. Name the book.
Lord Jim?

> * B. History: Trial
>
> B1. After World War II ended, leading figures in the Nazi
> regime were put on trial as "major war criminals" by an
> "International Military Tribunal" in Nuremberg. Why not
> in Berlin?
>
> B2. The trial of "major war criminals" was only the first of
> a series of 12 prosecutions at Nuremberg, but it is the one
> we're asking about. 21 men faced charges such as war crimes,
> crimes against humanity, and waging aggressive war, and a
> 22nd man who could not be found was tried "in absentia".
> Of the 22, 3 were acquitted; 7 were sentenced to prison,
> and 12 to death. Name *any one* of the 12 who were sentenced
> to death.
Goering?

> * C. Entertainment: Try Al
>
> These questions will each be about a specific movie. We won't
> give you the title, but we won't ask you for it either; you'll
> have to name someone who appears in the movie.
>
> C1. Name the singer and actor who in 1927 uttered the famous
> line: "Wait a minute, wait a minute. You ain't heard
> nothing yet!"
Al Jolson
> C2. Name the actor who in 1979, as a lawyer pushed past his
> breaking point, shouts to the judge: "*You're* out of order!
> *You're* out of order! The *whole trial* is out of order!"
Al Pacino

Marc Dashevsky

Oct 29, 2016, 8:59:21 PM10/29/16
In article <FPGdnY6D0ulo2YnF...@giganews.com>, m...@vex.net says...
> * Game 10, Round 9 - Science - Tanquam e Naribus Leonem
>
> When Johann Bernoulli saw how the problem of the brachistochrone
> had been solved, he immediately identified the anonymous author as
> Isaac Newton, remarking in Latin: "I recognize the lion by his paw".
> In this round you will similarly have to identify the type of each
> animal -- but not by its paw. Here's your handout:
>
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/10-9/leonem.jpg
>
> In all cases on this round the one-word common term will be
> sufficient; for example, zebra, not Grevy's zebra. And, credit
> where due: both the concept and the photo array are taken directly
> from sporcle.com.
>
> Here I'm rearranging the questions in order by picture. There were
> 10 decoys, some of them very easy; identify these if you like for
> fun, but for no points.
>
> 1. A (decoy)
> 2. B (decoy)
> 3. C (decoy)
> 4. D.
black bear

> 5. E.
lion

> 6. F (decoy)
> 7. G (decoy)
> 8. H.
luna moth

> 9. I.
> 10. J.
brown bear

> 11. K (decoy)
> 12. L (decoy)
> 13. M.
star-nose mole

> 14. N.
horse

> 15. O.
panda

> 16. P.
manatee

> 17. Q (decoy)
> 18. R (decoy)
> 19. S (decoy)
> 20. T.
rhinoceros

> ** Game 10, Round 10 - Trials and Challenges
>
> The categories for this round are: Trials, Trial, Try Al,
> Challenged, Challenging, and Challenges.
>
> * A. Literature: Trials
>
> In 2013 the Journal of the American Bar Association convened a
> panel to name the 25 best law-related novels of all time. #1 on
> the list was "To Kill a Mockingbird". We will ask about two others.
>
> A1. This novel by Charles Dickens, #3 on the list, features
> a seemingly endless trial over an inheritance: the case of
> Jarndyce versus Jarndyce, or as they would pronounce it in
> England, "Jarndyce and Jarndyce". Name it.
Bleak House

> A2. Novel #6 on the list is by Herman Melville. An inarticulate
> young seaman falsely accused of a crime throws a single punch
> at his accuser, an officer named Claggart--and Claggart dies.
> Captain Vere has no option under the law but to try the
> sailor for murder. Name the book.
Billy Budd

> * B. History: Trial
>
> B1. After World War II ended, leading figures in the Nazi
> regime were put on trial as "major war criminals" by an
> "International Military Tribunal" in Nuremberg. Why not
> in Berlin?
Berlin was controlled by the Soviets.

> B2. The trial of "major war criminals" was only the first of
> a series of 12 prosecutions at Nuremberg, but it is the one
> we're asking about. 21 men faced charges such as war crimes,
> crimes against humanity, and waging aggressive war, and a
> 22nd man who could not be found was tried "in absentia".
> Of the 22, 3 were acquitted; 7 were sentenced to prison,
> and 12 to death. Name *any one* of the 12 who were sentenced
> to death.
Adolf Eichmann

> * C. Entertainment: Try Al
>
> These questions will each be about a specific movie. We won't
> give you the title, but we won't ask you for it either; you'll
> have to name someone who appears in the movie.
>
> C1. Name the singer and actor who in 1927 uttered the famous
> line: "Wait a minute, wait a minute. You ain't heard
> nothing yet!"
Al Jolson

> C2. Name the actor who in 1979, as a lawyer pushed past his
> breaking point, shouts to the judge: "*You're* out of order!
> *You're* out of order! The *whole trial* is out of order!"
Al Pacino

> * D. Canadiana: Challenged
>
> D1. Terry Fox became famous when he set out to cross Canada
> on foot -- which is to say, on his one remaining foot and a
> prosthetic limb -- only to fail because his cancer returned.
> Within 2, what year was that?
1978

> D2. Another Canadian whose leg was amputated went on to become
> premier of his province. In his case it wasn't cancer
> but necrotizing fasciitis -- the "flesh-eating disease".
> Who was he?
>

> * E. Geography: Challenging
>
> E1. If you tried to travel from here to, say, Argentina, in an
> ordinary car, the farthest you could get is a town called
> Yaviza. The next 100 km (60 miles) or so is difficult
> country with swamps and forests that no one has ever found
> the money to put a road through, and for environmental
> reasons some feel it should never be done. Either give
> the name of this gap in the road system of the Americas,
> or just say what country Yaviza is in.
Panama

> E2. Another place where it's difficult to travel, though at
> least there are some roads these days, is a type of terrain
> that can be found in the southwestern part of South Dakota,
> among other places. In that particular place, you'll find
> a national park named for that type of difficult terrain.
> What is that name?
badlands

> * F. Sports: Challenges
>
> Some trophies, such as our league's Christmas Cup, are awarded
> on a regular basis to whichever contenders perform best on that
> occasion. But others are challenge trophies, meaning that for a
> contender to win the trophy, they must first declare a challenge
> and then beat the previous holder. These two questions are about
> challenge trophies.
>
> F1. This trophy was a challenge trophy for the first 20 years or
> so that it existed, and was contested over 40 times during
> that period. Today, though, it represents the annual
> championship of a single major sports league that did not
> even exist during that earlier era. Name the trophy.
>
> F2. This trophy was first awarded in 1851 and its name
> commemorates its first winner. A few years later it was
> made a challenge trophy, but in about 160 years since then,
> it has only been contested 34 times. The 35th time will
> be next year in Bermuda. What trophy?
America's Cup

Gareth Owen

Oct 30, 2016, 1:54:16 AM10/30/16
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) writes:

> 4. D.

Dog

> 5. E.

Rabbit

> 6. F (decoy)
> 7. G (decoy)
> 8. H.

Snake

> 9. I.

> 10. J.

Bear

> 13. M.

Anenome

> 14. N.

Horse, Donkey

> 15. O.

Raccoon, Wolf

> 16. P.

Walrus, Sealion

> 17. Q (decoy)
> 18. R (decoy)
> 19. S (decoy)
> 20. T.

I think thats my Uncle Derek

> ** Game 10, Round 10 - Trials and Challenges
>
> The categories for this round are: Trials, Trial, Try Al,
> Challenged, Challenging, and Challenges.
>
> * A. Literature: Trials
>
> In 2013 the Journal of the American Bar Association convened a
> panel to name the 25 best law-related novels of all time. #1 on
> the list was "To Kill a Mockingbird". We will ask about two others.
>
> A1. This novel by Charles Dickens, #3 on the list, features
> a seemingly endless trial over an inheritance: the case of
> Jarndyce versus Jarndyce, or as they would pronounce it in
> England, "Jarndyce and Jarndyce". Name it.

Pickwick Papers

> A2. Novel #6 on the list is by Herman Melville. An inarticulate
> young seaman falsely accused of a crime throws a single punch
> at his accuser, an officer named Claggart--and Claggart dies.
> Captain Vere has no option under the law but to try the
> sailor for murder. Name the book.

Moby Dick. I am now officially out of Melville novels.

> * B. History: Trial
>
> B1. After World War II ended, leading figures in the Nazi
> regime were put on trial as "major war criminals" by an
> "International Military Tribunal" in Nuremberg. Why not
> in Berlin?

Because the West didn't like that it was still under Soviet control.
Because Bomber Command had leveled it.

> B2. The trial of "major war criminals" was only the first of
> a series of 12 prosecutions at Nuremberg, but it is the one
> we're asking about. 21 men faced charges such as war crimes,
> crimes against humanity, and waging aggressive war, and a
> 22nd man who could not be found was tried "in absentia".
> Of the 22, 3 were acquitted; 7 were sentenced to prison,
> and 12 to death. Name *any one* of the 12 who were sentenced
> to death.

Eichmann

> * C. Entertainment: Try Al
>
> These questions will each be about a specific movie. We won't
> give you the title, but we won't ask you for it either; you'll
> have to name someone who appears in the movie.
>
> C1. Name the singer and actor who in 1927 uttered the famous
> line: "Wait a minute, wait a minute. You ain't heard
> nothing yet!"

Al Jolson

> C2. Name the actor who in 1979, as a lawyer pushed past his
> breaking point, shouts to the judge: "*You're* out of order!
> *You're* out of order! The *whole trial* is out of order!"

Al Pacino.

> * D. Canadiana: Challenged
>
> D1. Terry Fox became famous when he set out to cross Canada
> on foot -- which is to say, on his one remaining foot and a
> prosthetic limb -- only to fail because his cancer returned.
> Within 2, what year was that?

1977

> D2. Another Canadian whose leg was amputated went on to become
> premier of his province. In his case it wasn't cancer
> but necrotizing fasciitis -- the "flesh-eating disease".
> Who was he?

Nope

> * E. Geography: Challenging
>
> E1. If you tried to travel from here to, say, Argentina, in an
> ordinary car, the farthest you could get is a town called
> Yaviza. The next 100 km (60 miles) or so is difficult
> country with swamps and forests that no one has ever found
> the money to put a road through, and for environmental
> reasons some feel it should never be done. Either give
> the name of this gap in the road system of the Americas,
> or just say what country Yaviza is in.

Oh, I saw a show about this with two Irish Comedians driving the
Trans-America highway. No recollection of the details....

Nicaragua. Panama.

> E2. Another place where it's difficult to travel, though at
> least there are some roads these days, is a type of terrain
> that can be found in the southwestern part of South Dakota,
> among other places. In that particular place, you'll find
> a national park named for that type of difficult terrain.
> What is that name?

Nope

> * F. Sports: Challenges
>
> Some trophies, such as our league's Christmas Cup, are awarded
> on a regular basis to whichever contenders perform best on that
> occasion. But others are challenge trophies, meaning that for a
> contender to win the trophy, they must first declare a challenge
> and then beat the previous holder. These two questions are about
> challenge trophies.
>
> F1. This trophy was a challenge trophy for the first 20 years or
> so that it existed, and was contested over 40 times during
> that period. Today, though, it represents the annual
> championship of a single major sports league that did not
> even exist during that earlier era. Name the trophy.

Stanley Cup

> F2. This trophy was first awarded in 1851 and its name
> commemorates its first winner. A few years later it was
> made a challenge trophy, but in about 160 years since then,
> it has only been contested 34 times. The 35th time will
> be next year in Bermuda. What trophy?

Americas Cup (should there be an apostrophe there somewhere)

Calvin

Oct 30, 2016, 9:23:44 PM10/30/16
On Saturday, October 29, 2016 at 4:43:07 PM UTC+10, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 10, Round 9 - Science - Tanquam e Naribus Leonem
>
> 1. A (decoy)
> 2. B (decoy)
> 3. C (decoy)
> 4. D.

Dog

> 5. E.

Kangaroo, Rabbit

> 6. F (decoy)
> 7. G (decoy)
> 8. H.

Frog, Lizard

> 9. I.

Shark

> 10. J.

Dog

> 11. K (decoy)
> 12. L (decoy)
> 13. M.

> 14. N.

Horse

> 15. O.

Dog

> 16. P.

Gorilla,

> 17. Q (decoy)
> 18. R (decoy)
> 19. S (decoy)
> 20. T.

Rhinoceros

> ** Game 10, Round 10 - Trials and Challenges
>
> The categories for this round are: Trials, Trial, Try Al,
> Challenged, Challenging, and Challenges.
>
> * A. Literature: Trials
>
> In 2013 the Journal of the American Bar Association convened a
> panel to name the 25 best law-related novels of all time. #1 on
> the list was "To Kill a Mockingbird". We will ask about two others.
>
> A1. This novel by Charles Dickens, #3 on the list, features
> a seemingly endless trial over an inheritance: the case of
> Jarndyce versus Jarndyce, or as they would pronounce it in
> England, "Jarndyce and Jarndyce". Name it.

Bleak House

> A2. Novel #6 on the list is by Herman Melville. An inarticulate
> young seaman falsely accused of a crime throws a single punch
> at his accuser, an officer named Claggart--and Claggart dies.
> Captain Vere has no option under the law but to try the
> sailor for murder. Name the book.

Billy Budd

> * B. History: Trial
>
> B1. After World War II ended, leading figures in the Nazi
> regime were put on trial as "major war criminals" by an
> "International Military Tribunal" in Nuremberg. Why not
> in Berlin?

Because Berlin was split 4 ways, Security concerns

> B2. The trial of "major war criminals" was only the first of
> a series of 12 prosecutions at Nuremberg, but it is the one
> we're asking about. 21 men faced charges such as war crimes,
> crimes against humanity, and waging aggressive war, and a
> 22nd man who could not be found was tried "in absentia".
> Of the 22, 3 were acquitted; 7 were sentenced to prison,
> and 12 to death. Name *any one* of the 12 who were sentenced
> to death.

Goering, Himmler

> * C. Entertainment: Try Al
>
> These questions will each be about a specific movie. We won't
> give you the title, but we won't ask you for it either; you'll
> have to name someone who appears in the movie.
>
> C1. Name the singer and actor who in 1927 uttered the famous
> line: "Wait a minute, wait a minute. You ain't heard
> nothing yet!"

Al Jolson

> C2. Name the actor who in 1979, as a lawyer pushed past his
> breaking point, shouts to the judge: "*You're* out of order!
> *You're* out of order! The *whole trial* is out of order!"

Hoffman?

> * D. Canadiana: Challenged
>
> D1. Terry Fox became famous when he set out to cross Canada
> on foot -- which is to say, on his one remaining foot and a
> prosthetic limb -- only to fail because his cancer returned.
> Within 2, what year was that?

1981, 1986

> D2. Another Canadian whose leg was amputated went on to become
> premier of his province. In his case it wasn't cancer
> but necrotizing fasciitis -- the "flesh-eating disease".
> Who was he?
>

> * E. Geography: Challenging
>
> E1. If you tried to travel from here to, say, Argentina, in an
> ordinary car, the farthest you could get is a town called
> Yaviza. The next 100 km (60 miles) or so is difficult
> country with swamps and forests that no one has ever found
> the money to put a road through, and for environmental
> reasons some feel it should never be done. Either give
> the name of this gap in the road system of the Americas,
> or just say what country Yaviza is in.

Panama, Costa Rica

> E2. Another place where it's difficult to travel, though at
> least there are some roads these days, is a type of terrain
> that can be found in the southwestern part of South Dakota,
> among other places. In that particular place, you'll find
> a national park named for that type of difficult terrain.
> What is that name?
>

> * F. Sports: Challenges
>
> Some trophies, such as our league's Christmas Cup, are awarded
> on a regular basis to whichever contenders perform best on that
> occasion. But others are challenge trophies, meaning that for a
> contender to win the trophy, they must first declare a challenge
> and then beat the previous holder. These two questions are about
> challenge trophies.
>
> F1. This trophy was a challenge trophy for the first 20 years or
> so that it existed, and was contested over 40 times during
> that period. Today, though, it represents the annual
> championship of a single major sports league that did not
> even exist during that earlier era. Name the trophy.

Stanley Cup, Grey Cup

> F2. This trophy was first awarded in 1851 and its name
> commemorates its first winner. A few years later it was
> made a challenge trophy, but in about 160 years since then,
> it has only been contested 34 times. The 35th time will
> be next year in Bermuda. What trophy?

Americas Cup

cheers,
calvin

Dan Tilque

Oct 31, 2016, 2:07:22 AM10/31/16
Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 10, Round 9 - Science - Tanquam e Naribus Leonem
>
> When Johann Bernoulli saw how the problem of the brachistochrone
> had been solved, he immediately identified the anonymous author as
> Isaac Newton, remarking in Latin: "I recognize the lion by his paw".
> In this round you will similarly have to identify the type of each
> animal -- but not by its paw. Here's your handout:
>
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/10-9/leonem.jpg
>
> In all cases on this round the one-word common term will be
> sufficient; for example, zebra, not Grevy's zebra. And, credit
> where due: both the concept and the photo array are taken directly
> from sporcle.com.
>
> Here I'm rearranging the questions in order by picture. There were
> 10 decoys, some of them very easy; identify these if you like for
> fun, but for no points.
>
> 1. A (decoy)
> 2. B (decoy)
> 3. C (decoy)
> 4. D.

dog

> 5. E.

gerbil

> 6. F (decoy)
> 7. G (decoy)
> 8. H.

frog (my initial answer was muppet :)

> 9. I.
> 10. J.
> 11. K (decoy)
> 12. L (decoy)
> 13. M.

star-nosed mole

> 14. N.

donkey

> 15. O.

panda

> 16. P.

rhino

> 17. Q (decoy)
> 18. R (decoy)
> 19. S (decoy)
> 20. T.

hippo

> ** Game 10, Round 10 - Trials and Challenges
>
> The categories for this round are: Trials, Trial, Try Al,
> Challenged, Challenging, and Challenges.
>
> * A. Literature: Trials
>
> In 2013 the Journal of the American Bar Association convened a
> panel to name the 25 best law-related novels of all time. #1 on
> the list was "To Kill a Mockingbird". We will ask about two others.
>
> A1. This novel by Charles Dickens, #3 on the list, features
> a seemingly endless trial over an inheritance: the case of
> Jarndyce versus Jarndyce, or as they would pronounce it in
> England, "Jarndyce and Jarndyce". Name it.
>
> A2. Novel #6 on the list is by Herman Melville. An inarticulate
> young seaman falsely accused of a crime throws a single punch
> at his accuser, an officer named Claggart--and Claggart dies.
> Captain Vere has no option under the law but to try the
> sailor for murder. Name the book.

Billy Budd

> * B. History: Trial
>
> B1. After World War II ended, leading figures in the Nazi
> regime were put on trial as "major war criminals" by an
> "International Military Tribunal" in Nuremberg. Why not
> in Berlin?

Berlin was too heavily damaged by the war.

> B2. The trial of "major war criminals" was only the first of
> a series of 12 prosecutions at Nuremberg, but it is the one
> we're asking about. 21 men faced charges such as war crimes,
> crimes against humanity, and waging aggressive war, and a
> 22nd man who could not be found was tried "in absentia".
> Of the 22, 3 were acquitted; 7 were sentenced to prison,
> and 12 to death. Name *any one* of the 12 who were sentenced
> to death.

Goering

> * C. Entertainment: Try Al
>
> These questions will each be about a specific movie. We won't
> give you the title, but we won't ask you for it either; you'll
> have to name someone who appears in the movie.
>
> C1. Name the singer and actor who in 1927 uttered the famous
> line: "Wait a minute, wait a minute. You ain't heard
> nothing yet!"

Al Jolson

> C2. Name the actor who in 1979, as a lawyer pushed past his
> breaking point, shouts to the judge: "*You're* out of order!
> *You're* out of order! The *whole trial* is out of order!"

Al Pacino

> * D. Canadiana: Challenged
>
> D1. Terry Fox became famous when he set out to cross Canada
> on foot -- which is to say, on his one remaining foot and a
> prosthetic limb -- only to fail because his cancer returned.
> Within 2, what year was that?

2004

> D2. Another Canadian whose leg was amputated went on to become
> premier of his province. In his case it wasn't cancer
> but necrotizing fasciitis -- the "flesh-eating disease".
> Who was he?
>

> * E. Geography: Challenging
>
> E1. If you tried to travel from here to, say, Argentina, in an
> ordinary car, the farthest you could get is a town called
> Yaviza. The next 100 km (60 miles) or so is difficult
> country with swamps and forests that no one has ever found
> the money to put a road through, and for environmental
> reasons some feel it should never be done. Either give
> the name of this gap in the road system of the Americas,
> or just say what country Yaviza is in.

Darien Gap

> E2. Another place where it's difficult to travel, though at
> least there are some roads these days, is a type of terrain
> that can be found in the southwestern part of South Dakota,
> among other places. In that particular place, you'll find
> a national park named for that type of difficult terrain.
> What is that name?

Badlands

> * F. Sports: Challenges
>
> Some trophies, such as our league's Christmas Cup, are awarded
> on a regular basis to whichever contenders perform best on that
> occasion. But others are challenge trophies, meaning that for a
> contender to win the trophy, they must first declare a challenge
> and then beat the previous holder. These two questions are about
> challenge trophies.
>
> F1. This trophy was a challenge trophy for the first 20 years or
> so that it existed, and was contested over 40 times during
> that period. Today, though, it represents the annual
> championship of a single major sports league that did not
> even exist during that earlier era. Name the trophy.

Stanley Cup

> F2. This trophy was first awarded in 1851 and its name
> commemorates its first winner. A few years later it was
> made a challenge trophy, but in about 160 years since then,
> it has only been contested 34 times. The 35th time will
> be next year in Bermuda. What trophy?

America's Cup

--
Dan Tilque

bbowler

Oct 31, 2016, 11:09:09 AM10/31/16
lion

> 2. B (decoy)

elephant

> 3. C (decoy)

pig

> 4. D.

dog (specifically bloodhound)

> 5. E.

rabbit

> 6. F (decoy)

cow

> 7. G (decoy)

tiger

> 8. H.

frog

> 9. I.

shark

> 10. J.

bear

> 11. K (decoy)

eagle

> 12. L (decoy)

squirrel

> 13. M.

mole

> 14. N.

horse

> 15. O.
> 16. P.

walrus

> 17. Q (decoy)

giraffe

> 18. R (decoy)

vulture

> 19. S (decoy)
> 20. T.

rhinoceros

> ** Game 10, Round 10 - Trials and Challenges
>
> The categories for this round are: Trials, Trial, Try Al, Challenged,
> Challenging, and Challenges.
>
> * A. Literature: Trials
>
> In 2013 the Journal of the American Bar Association convened a panel to
> name the 25 best law-related novels of all time. #1 on the list was "To
> Kill a Mockingbird". We will ask about two others.
>
> A1. This novel by Charles Dickens, #3 on the list, features
> a seemingly endless trial over an inheritance: the case of
> Jarndyce versus Jarndyce, or as they would pronounce it in
> England, "Jarndyce and Jarndyce". Name it.
>
> A2. Novel #6 on the list is by Herman Melville. An inarticulate
> young seaman falsely accused of a crime throws a single punch at
> his accuser, an officer named Claggart--and Claggart dies.
> Captain Vere has no option under the law but to try the sailor
> for murder. Name the book.

billy budd

> * B. History: Trial
>
> B1. After World War II ended, leading figures in the Nazi
> regime were put on trial as "major war criminals" by an
> "International Military Tribunal" in Nuremberg. Why not in
> Berlin?
>
> B2. The trial of "major war criminals" was only the first of
> a series of 12 prosecutions at Nuremberg, but it is the one we're
> asking about. 21 men faced charges such as war crimes,
> crimes against humanity, and waging aggressive war, and a 22nd
> man who could not be found was tried "in absentia".
> Of the 22, 3 were acquitted; 7 were sentenced to prison,
> and 12 to death. Name *any one* of the 12 who were sentenced to
> death.
>

> * C. Entertainment: Try Al
>
> These questions will each be about a specific movie. We won't give you
> the title, but we won't ask you for it either; you'll have to name
> someone who appears in the movie.
>
> C1. Name the singer and actor who in 1927 uttered the famous
> line: "Wait a minute, wait a minute. You ain't heard nothing
> yet!"

Al Jolson

> C2. Name the actor who in 1979, as a lawyer pushed past his
> breaking point, shouts to the judge: "*You're* out of order!
> *You're* out of order! The *whole trial* is out of order!"

Al Pacino

> * D. Canadiana: Challenged
>
> D1. Terry Fox became famous when he set out to cross Canada
> on foot -- which is to say, on his one remaining foot and a
> prosthetic limb -- only to fail because his cancer returned.
> Within 2, what year was that?

1985

> D2. Another Canadian whose leg was amputated went on to become
> premier of his province. In his case it wasn't cancer but
> necrotizing fasciitis -- the "flesh-eating disease".
> Who was he?
>

> * E. Geography: Challenging
>
> E1. If you tried to travel from here to, say, Argentina, in an
> ordinary car, the farthest you could get is a town called Yaviza.
> The next 100 km (60 miles) or so is difficult country with
> swamps and forests that no one has ever found the money to put a
> road through, and for environmental reasons some feel it should
> never be done. Either give the name of this gap in the road
> system of the Americas,
> or just say what country Yaviza is in.

Costa Rica; Nicaragua

> E2. Another place where it's difficult to travel, though at
> least there are some roads these days, is a type of terrain that
> can be found in the southwestern part of South Dakota, among
> other places. In that particular place, you'll find a national
> park named for that type of difficult terrain. What is that name?

Bad Lands

> * F. Sports: Challenges
>
> Some trophies, such as our league's Christmas Cup, are awarded on a
> regular basis to whichever contenders perform best on that occasion.
> But others are challenge trophies, meaning that for a contender to win
> the trophy, they must first declare a challenge and then beat the
> previous holder. These two questions are about challenge trophies.
>
> F1. This trophy was a challenge trophy for the first 20 years or
> so that it existed, and was contested over 40 times during that
> period. Today, though, it represents the annual championship of
> a single major sports league that did not even exist during that
> earlier era. Name the trophy.
>
> F2. This trophy was first awarded in 1851 and its name
> commemorates its first winner. A few years later it was made a
> challenge trophy, but in about 160 years since then, it has only
> been contested 34 times. The 35th time will be next year in
> Bermuda. What trophy?

America's Cup

Pete

Oct 31, 2016, 1:05:49 PM10/31/16
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:FPGdnY6D0ulo2YnFnZ2dnUU7-
f_N...@giganews.com:

Lion

> 2. B (decoy)

Elephant

> 3. C (decoy)

Pig

> 4. D.

Dog

> 5. E.

Rabbit

> 6. F (decoy)

Cow

> 7. G (decoy)

Tiger

> 8. H.

Frog

> 9. I.

Shark

> 10. J.

Orangutan; Sloth

> 11. K (decoy)

Eagle

> 12. L (decoy)
> 13. M.

Platypus; Wombat

> 14. N.

Horse

> 15. O.

Monkey

> 16. P.

Walrus

> 17. Q (decoy)
> 18. R (decoy)

Vulture

> 19. S (decoy)
> 20. T.

Rhinoceros

> ** Game 10, Round 10 - Trials and Challenges
>
> The categories for this round are: Trials, Trial, Try Al,
> Challenged, Challenging, and Challenges.
>
> * A. Literature: Trials
>
> In 2013 the Journal of the American Bar Association convened a
> panel to name the 25 best law-related novels of all time. #1 on
> the list was "To Kill a Mockingbird". We will ask about two others.
>
> A1. This novel by Charles Dickens, #3 on the list, features
> a seemingly endless trial over an inheritance: the case of
> Jarndyce versus Jarndyce, or as they would pronounce it in
> England, "Jarndyce and Jarndyce". Name it.
>
> A2. Novel #6 on the list is by Herman Melville. An inarticulate
> young seaman falsely accused of a crime throws a single punch
> at his accuser, an officer named Claggart--and Claggart dies.
> Captain Vere has no option under the law but to try the
> sailor for murder. Name the book.
>

> * B. History: Trial
>
> B1. After World War II ended, leading figures in the Nazi
> regime were put on trial as "major war criminals" by an
> "International Military Tribunal" in Nuremberg. Why not
> in Berlin?

City was too bombed out to hold a major court case

> B2. The trial of "major war criminals" was only the first of
> a series of 12 prosecutions at Nuremberg, but it is the one
> we're asking about. 21 men faced charges such as war crimes,
> crimes against humanity, and waging aggressive war, and a
> 22nd man who could not be found was tried "in absentia".
> Of the 22, 3 were acquitted; 7 were sentenced to prison,
> and 12 to death. Name *any one* of the 12 who were sentenced
> to death.

Goering

> * C. Entertainment: Try Al
>
> These questions will each be about a specific movie. We won't
> give you the title, but we won't ask you for it either; you'll
> have to name someone who appears in the movie.
>
> C1. Name the singer and actor who in 1927 uttered the famous
> line: "Wait a minute, wait a minute. You ain't heard
> nothing yet!"

Al Jolsen

> C2. Name the actor who in 1979, as a lawyer pushed past his
> breaking point, shouts to the judge: "*You're* out of order!
> *You're* out of order! The *whole trial* is out of order!"

Al Pacino

> * D. Canadiana: Challenged
>
> D1. Terry Fox became famous when he set out to cross Canada
> on foot -- which is to say, on his one remaining foot and a
> prosthetic limb -- only to fail because his cancer returned.
> Within 2, what year was that?

1974; 1979

> D2. Another Canadian whose leg was amputated went on to become
> premier of his province. In his case it wasn't cancer
> but necrotizing fasciitis -- the "flesh-eating disease".
> Who was he?
>

> * E. Geography: Challenging
>
> E1. If you tried to travel from here to, say, Argentina, in an
> ordinary car, the farthest you could get is a town called
> Yaviza. The next 100 km (60 miles) or so is difficult
> country with swamps and forests that no one has ever found
> the money to put a road through, and for environmental
> reasons some feel it should never be done. Either give
> the name of this gap in the road system of the Americas,
> or just say what country Yaviza is in.

Panama

> E2. Another place where it's difficult to travel, though at
> least there are some roads these days, is a type of terrain
> that can be found in the southwestern part of South Dakota,
> among other places. In that particular place, you'll find
> a national park named for that type of difficult terrain.
> What is that name?

Badlands

> * F. Sports: Challenges
>
> Some trophies, such as our league's Christmas Cup, are awarded
> on a regular basis to whichever contenders perform best on that
> occasion. But others are challenge trophies, meaning that for a
> contender to win the trophy, they must first declare a challenge
> and then beat the previous holder. These two questions are about
> challenge trophies.
>
> F1. This trophy was a challenge trophy for the first 20 years or
> so that it existed, and was contested over 40 times during
> that period. Today, though, it represents the annual
> championship of a single major sports league that did not
> even exist during that earlier era. Name the trophy.

Stanley Cup

> F2. This trophy was first awarded in 1851 and its name
> commemorates its first winner. A few years later it was
> made a challenge trophy, but in about 160 years since then,
> it has only been contested 34 times. The 35th time will
> be next year in Bermuda. What trophy?

Pete Gayde

Mark Brader

Nov 1, 2016, 5:42:59 AM11/1/16
Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2016-07-25,
> see my 2016-05-31 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

Game 10 is over and this time it's the *other* Dan! Dan! Dan!
Congratulations to DAN BLUM, who, if there are no errors, has
squeaked out a win by 3 points over Joshua Kreitzer.

> I wrote both of these rounds.

If you can call the way I constructed Round 9 "writing", that is.
The title and preamble were mine, anyway.

> * Game 10, Round 9 - Science - Tanquam e Naribus Leonem

> When Johann Bernoulli saw how the problem of the brachistochrone
> had been solved, he immediately identified the anonymous author as
> Isaac Newton, remarking in Latin: "I recognize the lion by his paw".
> In this round you will similarly have to identify the type of each
> animal -- but not by its paw. Here's your handout:

> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/10-9/leonem.jpg

> In all cases on this round the one-word common term will be
> sufficient; for example, zebra, not Grevy's zebra. And, credit
> where due: both the concept and the photo array are taken directly
> from sporcle.com.

Specifically, from:

http://www.sporcle.com/games/julsie0823/pictures_animals

> Here I'm rearranging the questions in order by picture. There were
> 10 decoys, some of them very easy; identify these if you like for
> fun, but for no points.

> 1. A (decoy)

Lion. (Tanquam e naribus leonem.) Peter, Jason, Bruce, and Pete
got this.

> 2. B (decoy)

Elephant. (Tanquam e naribus elephantum.) Peter, Jason, Bruce,
and Pete got this.

> 3. C (decoy)

Pig. (Tanquam e naribus porcum.) Peter, Jason, Bruce, and Pete
got this.

> 4. D.

Dog. (Tanquam e naribus canem. It's a bloodhound, but I'm accepting
any breed here. In the original game you would have been asked for
"less specific".) 4 for Björn, Dan Blum, Erland, Gareth, Calvin,
Dan Tilque, Bruce, and Pete.

> 5. E.

Rabbit. (Tanquam e naribus cuniculum.) 4 for Peter, Björn, Joshua,
Dan Blum, Jason, Gareth, Bruce, and Pete. 2 for Calvin.

> 6. F (decoy)

Cow. (Tanquam e naribus vaccam.) Peter, Jason, Bruce, and Pete
got this.

> 7. G (decoy)

Tiger. (Tanquam e naribus tigridem.) Peter, Jason, Bruce, and Pete
got this.

> 8. H.

Frog. (Tanquam e naribus ranam. I'm also accepting "toad". In the
original game, QMs were instructed to respond to that answer by making
a noise and saying "you wanna try that again?".) 4 for Peter, Jason,
Dan Tilque, Bruce, and Pete. 3 for Calvin.

> 9. I.

Shark. (Tanquam e naribus pistricem. It's a great white.)
4 for Björn, Dan Blum, Calvin, Bruce, and Pete.

> 10. J.

Bear. (Tanquam e naribus ursum. It's a grizzly.) 4 for Björn,
Marc, Gareth, and Bruce.

> 11. K (decoy)

Eagle. (Tanquam e naribus aquilam. It's a bald eagle.) Bruce
and Pete got this.

> 12. L (decoy)

Squirrel. (Tanquam e naribus sciurum.) Bruce got this.

> 13. M.

Mole. (Tanquam e naribus talpam. It's a star-nosed mole, probably
the weirdest nose among mammals.) 4 for Björn, Dan Blum, Marc,
Dan Tilque, and Bruce.

> 14. N.

Horse. (Tanquam e naribus equum.) 4 for Björn, Joshua, Marc,
Calvin, Bruce, and Pete. 3 for Gareth.

> 15. O.

Raccoon. (Tanquam e naribus procyonem#.) 4 for Dan Blum.
3 for Gareth.

> 16. P.

Walrus. (Tanquam e naribus odobenum#.) 4 for Björn, Dan Blum,
Bruce, and Pete. 3 for Gareth.

> 17. Q (decoy)

Giraffe. (Tanquam e naribus camelopardalem.) Jason and Bruce
got this.

> 18. R (decoy)

Vulture. (Tanquam e naribus vulturem.) Bruce and Pete got this.

> 19. S (decoy)

Koala. (Tanquam e naribus phascolarctam#.) Nobody got this,
although the koala was guessed for some other answers.

> 20. T.

Rhinoceros. (Tanquam e naribus rhinocerotem.) 4 for Björn, Dan Blum,
Jason, Marc, Calvin, Bruce, and Pete.

The three animals marked # were, of course, not known in ancient
Rome; in these cases my Latin is based on the likely inflection of
their modern genus names.

> ** Game 10, Round 10 - Trials and Challenges

> The categories for this round are: Trials, Trial, Try Al,
> Challenged, Challenging, and Challenges.

> * A. Literature: Trials

> In 2013 the Journal of the American Bar Association convened a
> panel to name the 25 best law-related novels of all time. #1 on
> the list was "To Kill a Mockingbird". We will ask about two others.

> A1. This novel by Charles Dickens, #3 on the list, features
> a seemingly endless trial over an inheritance: the case of
> Jarndyce versus Jarndyce, or as they would pronounce it in
> England, "Jarndyce and Jarndyce". Name it.

"Bleak House". 4 for Peter, Joshua, Marc, and Calvin. 3 for
Dan Blum.

> A2. Novel #6 on the list is by Herman Melville. An inarticulate
> young seaman falsely accused of a crime throws a single punch
> at his accuser, an officer named Claggart--and Claggart dies.
> Captain Vere has no option under the law but to try the
> sailor for murder. Name the book.

"Billy Budd". 4 for Dan Blum, Marc, Calvin, Dan Tilque, and Bruce.

> * B. History: Trial

> B1. After World War II ended, leading figures in the Nazi
> regime were put on trial as "major war criminals" by an
> "International Military Tribunal" in Nuremberg. Why not
> in Berlin?

The city was so damaged in the war that no sufficiently large
courthouse was in usable condition. 4 for Joshua, Erland, Gareth,
Dan Tilque, and Pete. 3 for Dan Blum.

> B2. The trial of "major war criminals" was only the first of
> a series of 12 prosecutions at Nuremberg, but it is the one
> we're asking about. 21 men faced charges such as war crimes,
> crimes against humanity, and waging aggressive war, and a
> 22nd man who could not be found was tried "in absentia".
> Of the 22, 3 were acquitted; 7 were sentenced to prison,
> and 12 to death. Name *any one* of the 12 who were sentenced
> to death.

Martin Bormann, Hans Frank, Wilhelm Frick, Hermann Goering,
Alfred Jodl, Ernst Kaltenbrunner, Wilhelm Keitel, Joachim von
Ribbentrop, Alfred Rosenberg, Fritz Sauckel, Arthur Seyss-Inquart,
Julius Streicher. 4 for Peter, Björn, Dan Blum, Jason, Dan Tilque,
and Pete. 3 for Calvin.

Goering committed suicide before the execution, and the missing
Bormann turned out to have been dead all along. The other 10 were
hanged on 1946-10-16.

As to the wrong answers: Karl Dönitz was sentenced to 10 years.
Heinrich Himmler committed suicide soon after he was captured.
And Adolf Eichmann was also missing, and was not tried in absentia;
but the Israelis eventually captured him in 1960, tried him in 1961,
and executed him in 1962.

> * C. Entertainment: Try Al

> These questions will each be about a specific movie. We won't
> give you the title, but we won't ask you for it either; you'll
> have to name someone who appears in the movie.

> C1. Name the singer and actor who in 1927 uttered the famous
> line: "Wait a minute, wait a minute. You ain't heard
> nothing yet!"

Al Jolson (in "The Jazz Singer"). 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, Jason,
Marc, Gareth, Calvin, Dan Tilque, Bruce, and Pete.

The movie was originally intended to have sound only for the musical
numbers, with dialogue conveyed by intertitles as was usual for silent
movies, and most of it was in fact made that way. Jolson's spoken
line was a last-minute addition.

> C2. Name the actor who in 1979, as a lawyer pushed past his
> breaking point, shouts to the judge: "*You're* out of order!
> *You're* out of order! The *whole trial* is out of order!"

Al Pacino (in "...and Justice for All"). 4 for Björn, Joshua, Jason,
Marc, Gareth, Dan Tilque, Bruce, and Pete.

> * D. Canadiana: Challenged

> D1. Terry Fox became famous when he set out to cross Canada
> on foot -- which is to say, on his one remaining foot and a
> prosthetic limb -- only to fail because his cancer returned.
> Within 2, what year was that?

1980 (accepting 1978-82). 4 for Joshua and Marc. 3 for Dan Blum
and Calvin. 2 for Pete.

> D2. Another Canadian whose leg was amputated went on to become
> premier of his province. In his case it wasn't cancer
> but necrotizing fasciitis -- the "flesh-eating disease".
> Who was he?

Lucien Bouchard (Quebec premier 1996-2001).

> * E. Geography: Challenging

> E1. If you tried to travel from here to, say, Argentina, in an
> ordinary car, the farthest you could get is a town called
> Yaviza. The next 100 km (60 miles) or so is difficult
> country with swamps and forests that no one has ever found
> the money to put a road through, and for environmental
> reasons some feel it should never be done. Either give
> the name of this gap in the road system of the Americas,
> or just say what country Yaviza is in.

Darién Gap, Panama. 4 for Peter, Joshua (the hard way), Marc,
Dan Tilque, and Pete. 3 for Dan Blum and Calvin. 2 for Björn
and Gareth.

> E2. Another place where it's difficult to travel, though at
> least there are some roads these days, is a type of terrain
> that can be found in the southwestern part of South Dakota,
> among other places. In that particular place, you'll find
> a national park named for that type of difficult terrain.
> What is that name?

Badlands. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, Marc, Dan Tilque, Bruce, and Pete.

> * F. Sports: Challenges

> Some trophies, such as our league's Christmas Cup, are awarded
> on a regular basis to whichever contenders perform best on that
> occasion. But others are challenge trophies, meaning that for a
> contender to win the trophy, they must first declare a challenge
> and then beat the previous holder. These two questions are about
> challenge trophies.

> F1. This trophy was a challenge trophy for the first 20 years or
> so that it existed, and was contested over 40 times during
> that period. Today, though, it represents the annual
> championship of a single major sports league that did not
> even exist during that earlier era. Name the trophy.

Stanley Cup. 4 for Peter, Joshua, Dan Blum, Gareth, Dan Tilque,
and Pete. 3 for Calvin.

(Challenge trophy 1893-1914, awarded annually based on prearranged
playoffs between various leagues 1915-26, awarded annually based on
NHL playoffs since 1927.)

> F2. This trophy was first awarded in 1851 and its name
> commemorates its first winner. A few years later it was
> made a challenge trophy, but in about 160 years since then,
> it has only been contested 34 times. The 35th time will
> be next year in Bermuda. What trophy?

America's Cup. (Yacht racing.) 4 for Peter, Joshua, Dan Blum,
Erland, Marc, Gareth, Calvin, Dan Tilque, and Bruce.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 10 ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 6 7 8 9 10 BEST
TOPICS-> His Mis Ent Can Lit Spo Sci Cha SIX
Dan Blum 40 36 28 0 27 0 28 36 195
Joshua Kreitzer 40 32 40 0 12 32 8 36 192
Pete Gayde 32 15 32 0 2 32 28 30 169
Marc Dashevsky 32 32 40 0 0 16 16 32 168
Gareth Owen -- -- 40 0 32 40 21 22 155
Dan Tilque 32 32 23 0 4 4 12 36 139
Bruce Bowler 24 24 32 0 -- -- 36 20 136
"Calvin" 15 0 23 0 4 40 21 28 131
Peter Smyth 31 16 -- -- 4 40 8 20 119
Björn Lundin 8 18 4 0 0 28 32 10 100
Jason Kreitzer 36 0 28 0 0 0 12 12 88
Erland Sommarskog 20 28 -- -- -- -- 4 8 60
Stephen Perry -- -- 36 12 -- -- -- -- 48

--
Mark Brader | "How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
Toronto | "You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have