Rotating Quiz #237

Mark Brader

Oct 25, 2016, 5:59:03 AM10/25/16
Welcome to Rotating Quiz #237.

I'd like to thank Dan Tilque for running RQ 236 and for once again
writing a contest that allowed me to win, even if I didn't notice
that the contest number was one of the answers. That won't be
the case this time, anyway. The winner of RQ 237, in turn, will
be the first choice to set RQ 238, in whatever manner they prefer.

Please answer these questions based only on your own knowledge;
put all of your answers in a single posting, quoting the question
before each one. Answer slates must be posted before Halloween
(by Toronto time, zone -4), which gives you 5 days and about
18 hours from the time of posting.

For certain questions answers need not be exact, but I won't reveal
specifics in advance. In case of a tie, the first tiebreaker
is who scored on the hardest questions; the second tiebreaker is
whose answers were most exact where others were accepted, and the
third tiebreaker is who posted first.

1. [Entertainment] In what 1961 movie does James Cagney play a
Coca-Cola representative in Berlin?

2. [Entertainment] What US TV series that ran 2005-10 did this
round make me think of?

3. [Literature] How many books by Douglas Adams comprised the
"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" trilogy"?

4. [History] French history includes the First Republic, Second
Republic, and so on. What number is the present republic?

5. [Literature] In a 1970 novel by Leon Uris, Abraham Cady is
sued by Adam Kelno for defamation after writing a novel
describing events at a concentration camp. In which Queen's
Bench courtroom does the trial take place?

6. [Sports] How many inches in diameter is a soccer ball?

7. [Science] The "astronomical unit" is the radius, or to be
more precise the semi-major axis, of the Earth's orbit. How
many astronomical units is the same measure for Saturn's orbit?

8. [Geography] How many countries does the Danube River enter?
This includes countries that it only runs along the border of.

9. [Science] How many vertebrae are in a normal human spine,
not counting fused vertebrae such as the coccyx?

10. [Sports] What was the first player number to be officially
retired throughout major-league baseball?

11. [Geography] Australia, Germany, and India are all subdivided
into polities mostly known in English as states. Ignoring any
other types of subdivisions, how many states are there in all
three countries combined?

12. [History] Accepting the point of view that the office of Prime
Minister of the UK began with Sir Robert Walpole even though
that title had not yet been invented, how many different people
have held it?

13. [Science] What is the greatest number of protons in the nucleus
of an atom generally considered non-radioactive? (Actually it
is very, *very* slightly radioactive, with a half-life around
20,000,000,000,000,000,000 years.)

14. [Sports] What year was the last time the Toronto Maple Leafs
won the Stanley Cup?

15. [Literature] In what novel is it explained: "Everyone knows it.
The thing that is in Room 101 is the worst thing in the world"?

16. [History] What year were East and West Germany reunited as a
single country?

17. [Entertainment] According to a movie starring Raquel Welch,
in what year BC were cavemen attacked by dinosaurs?

18. [Geography] According to the CIA World Factbook, how many
square kilometers is the land area of Russia?

--
Mark Brader | In the face of such devastating logic as "despite
Toronto | what you say you mean, you must mean this and you

Dan Blum

Oct 25, 2016, 9:56:29 AM10/25/16
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> 2. [Entertainment] What US TV series that ran 2005-10 did this
> round make me think of?

Lost

5

> 4. [History] French history includes the First Republic, Second
> Republic, and so on. What number is the present republic?

fifth

> 5. [Literature] In a 1970 novel by Leon Uris, Abraham Cady is
> sued by Adam Kelno for defamation after writing a novel
> describing events at a concentration camp. In which Queen's
> Bench courtroom does the trial take place?

QB-5

> 6. [Sports] How many inches in diameter is a soccer ball?

12

> 7. [Science] The "astronomical unit" is the radius, or to be
> more precise the semi-major axis, of the Earth's orbit. How
> many astronomical units is the same measure for Saturn's orbit?

13

> 8. [Geography] How many countries does the Danube River enter?
> This includes countries that it only runs along the border of.

14

7

> 10. [Sports] What was the first player number to be officially
> retired throughout major-league baseball?

42

> 11. [Geography] Australia, Germany, and India are all subdivided
> into polities mostly known in English as states. Ignoring any
> other types of subdivisions, how many states are there in all
> three countries combined?

50

> 12. [History] Accepting the point of view that the office of Prime
> Minister of the UK began with Sir Robert Walpole even though
> that title had not yet been invented, how many different people
> have held it?

45

> 13. [Science] What is the greatest number of protons in the nucleus
> of an atom generally considered non-radioactive? (Actually it
> is very, *very* slightly radioactive, with a half-life around
> 20,000,000,000,000,000,000 years.)

82

> 14. [Sports] What year was the last time the Toronto Maple Leafs
> won the Stanley Cup?

1979

> 15. [Literature] In what novel is it explained: "Everyone knows it.
> The thing that is in Room 101 is the worst thing in the world"?

1984

> 16. [History] What year were East and West Germany reunited as a
> single country?

1989

> 17. [Entertainment] According to a movie starring Raquel Welch,
> in what year BC were cavemen attacked by dinosaurs?

1,000,000

> 18. [Geography] According to the CIA World Factbook, how many
> square kilometers is the land area of Russia?

5,271,009

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Marc Dashevsky

Oct 25, 2016, 11:38:17 AM10/25/16
In article <v72dnSskE5l8sZLF...@giganews.com>, m...@vex.net says...
5th

> 5. [Literature] In a 1970 novel by Leon Uris, Abraham Cady is
> sued by Adam Kelno for defamation after writing a novel
> describing events at a concentration camp. In which Queen's
> Bench courtroom does the trial take place?
>
> 6. [Sports] How many inches in diameter is a soccer ball?
8 < diameter < 9

> 7. [Science] The "astronomical unit" is the radius, or to be
> more precise the semi-major axis, of the Earth's orbit. How
> many astronomical units is the same measure for Saturn's orbit?
10

> 8. [Geography] How many countries does the Danube River enter?
> This includes countries that it only runs along the border of.
12

> 9. [Science] How many vertebrae are in a normal human spine,
> not counting fused vertebrae such as the coccyx?
31

> 10. [Sports] What was the first player number to be officially
> retired throughout major-league baseball?
42

> 11. [Geography] Australia, Germany, and India are all subdivided
> into polities mostly known in English as states. Ignoring any
> other types of subdivisions, how many states are there in all
> three countries combined?
52

> 12. [History] Accepting the point of view that the office of Prime
> Minister of the UK began with Sir Robert Walpole even though
> that title had not yet been invented, how many different people
> have held it?
62

> 13. [Science] What is the greatest number of protons in the nucleus
> of an atom generally considered non-radioactive? (Actually it
> is very, *very* slightly radioactive, with a half-life around
> 20,000,000,000,000,000,000 years.)
82

> 14. [Sports] What year was the last time the Toronto Maple Leafs
> won the Stanley Cup?
1970

> 15. [Literature] In what novel is it explained: "Everyone knows it.
> The thing that is in Room 101 is the worst thing in the world"?
1984

> 16. [History] What year were East and West Germany reunited as a
> single country?
1989

> 17. [Entertainment] According to a movie starring Raquel Welch,
> in what year BC were cavemen attacked by dinosaurs?
1,000,000

> 18. [Geography] According to the CIA World Factbook, how many
> square kilometers is the land area of Russia?
20,000,000

Peter Smyth

Oct 25, 2016, 11:45:28 AM10/25/16
Mark Brader wrote:

> Welcome to Rotating Quiz #237.
>
> I'd like to thank Dan Tilque for running RQ 236 and for once again
> writing a contest that allowed me to win, even if I didn't notice
> that the contest number was one of the answers. That won't be
> the case this time, anyway. The winner of RQ 237, in turn, will
> be the first choice to set RQ 238, in whatever manner they prefer.
>
> Please answer these questions based only on your own knowledge;
> put all of your answers in a single posting, quoting the question
> before each one. Answer slates must be posted before Halloween
> (by Toronto time, zone -4), which gives you 5 days and about
> 18 hours from the time of posting.
>
> For certain questions answers need not be exact, but I won't reveal
> specifics in advance. In case of a tie, the first tiebreaker
> is who scored on the hardest questions; the second tiebreaker is
> whose answers were most exact where others were accepted, and the
> third tiebreaker is who posted first.
>

> 1. [Entertainment] In what 1961 movie does James Cagney play a
> Coca-Cola representative in Berlin?
>
> 2. [Entertainment] What US TV series that ran 2005-10 did this
> round make me think of?
Lost
> 3. [Literature] How many books by Douglas Adams comprised the
> "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" trilogy"?
5
> 4. [History] French history includes the First Republic, Second
> Republic, and so on. What number is the present republic?
5
> 5. [Literature] In a 1970 novel by Leon Uris, Abraham Cady is
> sued by Adam Kelno for defamation after writing a novel
> describing events at a concentration camp. In which Queen's
> Bench courtroom does the trial take place?
10
> 6. [Sports] How many inches in diameter is a soccer ball?
10
> 7. [Science] The "astronomical unit" is the radius, or to be
> more precise the semi-major axis, of the Earth's orbit. How
> many astronomical units is the same measure for Saturn's orbit?
8
> 8. [Geography] How many countries does the Danube River enter?
> This includes countries that it only runs along the border of.
8
> 9. [Science] How many vertebrae are in a normal human spine,
> not counting fused vertebrae such as the coccyx?
15
> 10. [Sports] What was the first player number to be officially
> retired throughout major-league baseball?
15
> 11. [Geography] Australia, Germany, and India are all subdivided
> into polities mostly known in English as states. Ignoring any
> other types of subdivisions, how many states are there in all
> three countries combined?
53
> 12. [History] Accepting the point of view that the office of Prime
> Minister of the UK began with Sir Robert Walpole even though
> that title had not yet been invented, how many different people
> have held it?
53
> 13. [Science] What is the greatest number of protons in the nucleus
> of an atom generally considered non-radioactive? (Actually it
> is very, very slightly radioactive, with a half-life around
> 20,000,000,000,000,000,000 years.)
84
> 14. [Sports] What year was the last time the Toronto Maple Leafs
> won the Stanley Cup?
1989
> 15. [Literature] In what novel is it explained: "Everyone knows it.
> The thing that is in Room 101 is the worst thing in the world"?
1984
> 16. [History] What year were East and West Germany reunited as a
> single country?
1989
> 17. [Entertainment] According to a movie starring Raquel Welch,
> in what year BC were cavemen attacked by dinosaurs?
2 million
> 18. [Geography] According to the CIA World Factbook, how many
> square kilometers is the land area of Russia?
2 million

Peter Smyth

Chris F.A. Johnson

Oct 25, 2016, 3:08:02 PM10/25/16
On 2016-10-25, Mark Brader wrote:
> Welcome to Rotating Quiz #237.
>
> 1. [Entertainment] In what 1961 movie does James Cagney play a
> Coca-Cola representative in Berlin?

"One, Two, Three"

> 2. [Entertainment] What US TV series that ran 2005-10 did this
> round make me think of?
>
> 3. [Literature] How many books by Douglas Adams comprised the
> "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" trilogy"?

5

> 4. [History] French history includes the First Republic, Second
> Republic, and so on. What number is the present republic?

7

> 5. [Literature] In a 1970 novel by Leon Uris, Abraham Cady is
> sued by Adam Kelno for defamation after writing a novel
> describing events at a concentration camp. In which Queen's
> Bench courtroom does the trial take place?

The Old Bailey

2

> 8. [Geography] How many countries does the Danube River enter?
> This includes countries that it only runs along the border of.

9

> 9. [Science] How many vertebrae are in a normal human spine,
> not counting fused vertebrae such as the coccyx?

15

> 10. [Sports] What was the first player number to be officially
> retired throughout major-league baseball?

9

> 11. [Geography] Australia, Germany, and India are all subdivided
> into polities mostly known in English as states. Ignoring any
> other types of subdivisions, how many states are there in all
> three countries combined?

42

> 12. [History] Accepting the point of view that the office of Prime
> Minister of the UK began with Sir Robert Walpole even though
> that title had not yet been invented, how many different people
> have held it?

17

> 13. [Science] What is the greatest number of protons in the nucleus
> of an atom generally considered non-radioactive? (Actually it
> is very, *very* slightly radioactive, with a half-life around
> 20,000,000,000,000,000,000 years.)
>
> 14. [Sports] What year was the last time the Toronto Maple Leafs
> won the Stanley Cup?

1967

> 15. [Literature] In what novel is it explained: "Everyone knows it.
> The thing that is in Room 101 is the worst thing in the world"?

1984

> 16. [History] What year were East and West Germany reunited as a
> single country?

1991

> 17. [Entertainment] According to a movie starring Raquel Welch,
> in what year BC were cavemen attacked by dinosaurs?

1,000,000

> 18. [Geography] According to the CIA World Factbook, how many
> square kilometers is the land area of Russia?

7

--
Chris F.A. Johnson

Mark Brader

Oct 25, 2016, 6:59:20 PM10/25/16
Mark Brader:
> > 6. [Sports] How many inches in diameter is a soccer ball?

Marc Dashevsky:
> 8 < diameter < 9

I will score this answer as 8 or 9, whichever is worse.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto, m...@vex.net
"Omit needless code! Omit needless code! Omit needless code!"

Dan Tilque

Oct 25, 2016, 9:31:13 PM10/25/16
Mark Brader wrote:

> 1. [Entertainment] In what 1961 movie does James Cagney play a
> Coca-Cola representative in Berlin?

One, Two, Three

> 2. [Entertainment] What US TV series that ran 2005-10 did this
> round make me think of?

Numb3rs

> 3. [Literature] How many books by Douglas Adams comprised the
> "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" trilogy"?

5

> 4. [History] French history includes the First Republic, Second
> Republic, and so on. What number is the present republic?

5th

> 5. [Literature] In a 1970 novel by Leon Uris, Abraham Cady is
> sued by Adam Kelno for defamation after writing a novel
> describing events at a concentration camp. In which Queen's
> Bench courtroom does the trial take place?
>
> 6. [Sports] How many inches in diameter is a soccer ball?

8

> 7. [Science] The "astronomical unit" is the radius, or to be
> more precise the semi-major axis, of the Earth's orbit. How
> many astronomical units is the same measure for Saturn's orbit?

9.8

> 8. [Geography] How many countries does the Danube River enter?
> This includes countries that it only runs along the border of.

13

> 9. [Science] How many vertebrae are in a normal human spine,
> not counting fused vertebrae such as the coccyx?

14

> 10. [Sports] What was the first player number to be officially
> retired throughout major-league baseball?

42

> 11. [Geography] Australia, Germany, and India are all subdivided
> into polities mostly known in English as states. Ignoring any
> other types of subdivisions, how many states are there in all
> three countries combined?

67

> 12. [History] Accepting the point of view that the office of Prime
> Minister of the UK began with Sir Robert Walpole even though
> that title had not yet been invented, how many different people
> have held it?
>
> 13. [Science] What is the greatest number of protons in the nucleus
> of an atom generally considered non-radioactive? (Actually it
> is very, *very* slightly radioactive, with a half-life around
> 20,000,000,000,000,000,000 years.)

83

> 14. [Sports] What year was the last time the Toronto Maple Leafs
> won the Stanley Cup?

1966

> 15. [Literature] In what novel is it explained: "Everyone knows it.
> The thing that is in Room 101 is the worst thing in the world"?

1984

> 16. [History] What year were East and West Germany reunited as a
> single country?

1991

> 17. [Entertainment] According to a movie starring Raquel Welch,
> in what year BC were cavemen attacked by dinosaurs?

1,000,000

> 18. [Geography] According to the CIA World Factbook, how many
> square kilometers is the land area of Russia?

8,300,000

--
Dan Tilque

Calvin

Oct 26, 2016, 10:30:31 PM10/26/16
On Tuesday, October 25, 2016 at 7:59:03 PM UTC+10, Mark Brader wrote:
> Welcome to Rotating Quiz #237.

> 1. [Entertainment] In what 1961 movie does James Cagney play a
> Coca-Cola representative in Berlin?
>
> 2. [Entertainment] What US TV series that ran 2005-10 did this
> round make me think of?

Party of Five

> 3. [Literature] How many books by Douglas Adams comprised the
> "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" trilogy"?

5

> 4. [History] French history includes the First Republic, Second
> Republic, and so on. What number is the present republic?

5th

> 5. [Literature] In a 1970 novel by Leon Uris, Abraham Cady is
> sued by Adam Kelno for defamation after writing a novel
> describing events at a concentration camp. In which Queen's
> Bench courtroom does the trial take place?

Mila 18

> 6. [Sports] How many inches in diameter is a soccer ball?

12

> 7. [Science] The "astronomical unit" is the radius, or to be
> more precise the semi-major axis, of the Earth's orbit. How
> many astronomical units is the same measure for Saturn's orbit?

20

> 8. [Geography] How many countries does the Danube River enter?
> This includes countries that it only runs along the border of.

20

> 9. [Science] How many vertebrae are in a normal human spine,
> not counting fused vertebrae such as the coccyx?

20

> 10. [Sports] What was the first player number to be officially
> retired throughout major-league baseball?

20

> 11. [Geography] Australia, Germany, and India are all subdivided
> into polities mostly known in English as states. Ignoring any
> other types of subdivisions, how many states are there in all
> three countries combined?

53

> 12. [History] Accepting the point of view that the office of Prime
> Minister of the UK began with Sir Robert Walpole even though
> that title had not yet been invented, how many different people
> have held it?

55

> 13. [Science] What is the greatest number of protons in the nucleus
> of an atom generally considered non-radioactive? (Actually it
> is very, *very* slightly radioactive, with a half-life around
> 20,000,000,000,000,000,000 years.)

91

> 14. [Sports] What year was the last time the Toronto Maple Leafs
> won the Stanley Cup?

1991

> 15. [Literature] In what novel is it explained: "Everyone knows it.
> The thing that is in Room 101 is the worst thing in the world"?

Nineteen Eighty Four

> 16. [History] What year were East and West Germany reunited as a
> single country?

1991

> 17. [Entertainment] According to a movie starring Raquel Welch,
> in what year BC were cavemen attacked by dinosaurs?

5001

> 18. [Geography] According to the CIA World Factbook, how many
> square kilometers is the land area of Russia?

20 million

cheers,
calvin

Mark Brader

Oct 31, 2016, 12:34:55 AM10/31/16
Mark Brader:
> I'd like to thank Dan Tilque for running RQ 236 and for once again
> writing a contest that allowed me to win...

And in return, the winner of RQ 237 is none other than Dan Tilque!
DAN! DAN! DAN! And congratulations, eh?

> For certain questions answers need not be exact, but I won't reveal
> specifics in advance.

In case you didn't notice, all of the answers are numbers (okay, for
question #2 that's only sort of true) *and are sorted numerically*.
Entrants were not asked to identify this fact, but it was meant to
help anyone who noticed it.

To keep the scores in integers, I'm allowing 2 points for each
correct answer.

* For questions asking for a measurement:

* Any answer within a factor of 1.02 of the correct answer
(i.e. from 1/1.02 to 1.02 times the correct answer) was worth
the full 2 points. If there were any of those, then any other
answers within a factor of 1.02 cubed (1.061208) of the correct
answer were worth 1 point.

* If nobody came within a factor of 1.02 of the correct answer,
but someone did come within a factor of 2, then the best answer
given was worth 2 points, and any other answer within a factor
the cube of the factor of the best answer was worth 1 point.

* If nobody came within a factor of 2 either, then any answer
within a factor of 5 was worth a 1 point.

* For questions asking for an integer value greater than 50;

* The exact answer was worth 2 points. If the exact answer was
given then any answer off by 1 was worth 1 point.

* If the exact answer was not given, then the best answer off
by no more than 2 was worth the full 2 points, and any answer
within 3 times the error of the best answer was worth a 1 point.

* If nobody came within 2 either, than any answer within 6 was
worth 1 point.

* For other questions, exact answers were required.

> 1. [Entertainment] In what 1961 movie does James Cagney play a
> Coca-Cola representative in Berlin?

"One, Two, Three". 2 for Dan Tilque and Chris.

> 2. [Entertainment] What US TV series that ran 2005-10 did this
> round make me think of?

"Numb3rs". 2 for Dan Tilque.

> 3. [Literature] How many books by Douglas Adams comprised the
> "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" trilogy"?

5. 2 for Dan Tilque, Dan Blum, Peter, Chris, and Calvin.

"So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish" was explicitly identified as
the 5th book in the "increasingly inaccurately named" trilogy.

The series was extended with a prequel "Young Zaphod Plays it Safe",
and a further sequel "And Another Thing..."; but the former was a
novella and not published as a separate book, and the latter was
written by Eoin Colfer after Adams's death, so neither of them counts.

> 4. [History] French history includes the First Republic, Second
> Republic, and so on. What number is the present republic?

5th. 2 for Dan Tilque, Dan Blum, Marc, Peter, and Calvin.

The first three republics were established in 1792, 1848, and
1870 following successive revolts against monarchial government;
the fourth followed the liberation of France from Nazi control;
the fifth was established by a new constitution in 1958.

> 5. [Literature] In a 1970 novel by Leon Uris, Abraham Cady is
> sued by Adam Kelno for defamation after writing a novel
> describing events at a concentration camp. In which Queen's
> Bench courtroom does the trial take place?

VII. ("QB VII".)

> 6. [Sports] How many inches in diameter is a soccer ball?

Accepting anything from 8.52 to 8.78 as exact. (The actual rule is
that it's 68 to 70 cm in *circumference*.) 2 for Dan Tilque and Marc
(error factor 1.065 for both).

> 7. [Science] The "astronomical unit" is the radius, or to be
> more precise the semi-major axis, of the Earth's orbit. How
> many astronomical units is the same measure for Saturn's orbit?

9.582. 2 for Dan Tilque (error factor 1.0228). 1 for Marc.

> 8. [Geography] How many countries does the Danube River enter?
> This includes countries that it only runs along the border of.

10. Chris was off by 1, but as this answer was an integer under 50,
you had to be exact.

They are Germany, Austria, Slovakia, Hungary, Croatia, Serbia,
Romania, Bulgaria, Moldova, and Ukraine. Less than 1,500 feet of
one side of the river is in Moldova, this at the southern tip of
the country!

> 9. [Science] How many vertebrae are in a normal human spine,
> not counting fused vertebrae such as the coccyx?

24. (7 cervical, 12 thoracic, 5 lumbar.) I was surprised that the
best answer here was off by 4.

> 10. [Sports] What was the first player number to be officially
> retired throughout major-league baseball?

42. (Jackie Robinson.) 2 for Dan Tilque, Dan Blum, and Marc.

> 11. [Geography] Australia, Germany, and India are all subdivided
> into polities mostly known in English as states. Ignoring any
> other types of subdivisions, how many states are there in all
> three countries combined?

51. (6 + 16 + 35.) 2 for Dan Blum and Marc (each off by 1).
1 for Peter and Calvin.

> 12. [History] Accepting the point of view that the office of Prime
> Minister of the UK began with Sir Robert Walpole even though
> that title had not yet been invented, how many different people
> have held it?

54. (See e.g. <http://www.rulers.org/rulu.html#united kingdom>.)
2 for Peter and Calvin (each off by 1).

> 13. [Science] What is the greatest number of protons in the nucleus
> of an atom generally considered non-radioactive? (Actually it
> is very, *very* slightly radioactive, with a half-life around
> 20,000,000,000,000,000,000 years.)

83. (Bismuth.) 2 for Dan Tilque (exact). 1 for Dan Blum, Marc,
and Peter.

> 14. [Sports] What year was the last time the Toronto Maple Leafs
> won the Stanley Cup?

1967. 2 for Chris (exact). 1 for Dan Tilque.

> 15. [Literature] In what novel is it explained: "Everyone knows it.
> The thing that is in Room 101 is the worst thing in the world"?

"Nineteen Eighty-Four". (Room 101 is for personalized torture.)
2 for everyone -- Dan Tilque, Dan Blum, Marc, Peter, Chris,
and Calvin.

> 16. [History] What year were East and West Germany reunited as a
> single country?

1990. 2 for everyone (off by 1 in every case!).

> 17. [Entertainment] According to a movie starring Raquel Welch,
> in what year BC were cavemen attacked by dinosaurs?

1,000,000. (<http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0060782/>.) 2 for
Dan Tilque, Dan Blum, Marc, and Chris.

> 18. [Geography] According to the CIA World Factbook, how many
> square kilometers is the land area of Russia?

16,377,742. 2 for Marc and Calvin (error factor 1.2212 for both).

Most interesting wrong answer: 7 (error factor 2,339,677).
Perhaps this was a different Russia. :-)

Scores, if there are no errors:

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 TOTALS

Dan Tilque 2 2 2 2 0 2 2 0 0 2 0 0 2 1 2 2 2 0 23
Marc Dashevsky 0 0 0 2 0 2 1 0 0 2 2 0 1 0 2 2 2 2 18
Dan Blum 0 0 2 2 0 0 0 0 0 2 2 0 1 0 2 2 2 0 15
"Calvin" 0 0 2 2 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 2 0 0 2 2 0 2 13
Peter Smyth 0 0 2 2 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 2 1 0 2 2 0 0 12
Chris Johnson 2 0 2 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 2 2 2 2 0 12

4 2 10 10 0 4 3 0 0 6 6 4 5 3 12 12 8 4

Or if you'd like to see it by categories (6 points available in each):

Ent Geo His Lit Sci Spo TOTALS

Dan Tilque 6 0 4 4 4 5 23
Marc Dashevsky 2 4 4 2 2 4 18
Dan Blum 2 2 4 4 1 2 15
"Calvin" 0 3 6 4 0 0 13
Peter Smyth 0 1 6 4 1 0 12
Chris Johnson 4 0 2 4 0 2 12

14 10 26 22 8 13

And it's over to Dan Tilque for RQ #238.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "You are becoming far too reasonable.
m...@vex.net | I worry about you." --Tony Cooper

Dan Tilque

Oct 31, 2016, 1:26:38 AM10/31/16
Mark Brader wrote:

>> 3. [Literature] How many books by Douglas Adams comprised the
>> "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" trilogy"?
>
> 5. 2 for Dan Tilque, Dan Blum, Peter, Chris, and Calvin.
>
> "So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish" was explicitly identified as
> the 5th book in the "increasingly inaccurately named" trilogy.

Nitpick: #5 was Mostly Humourless^WHarmless. "So Long ..." was #4.

> And it's over to Dan Tilque for RQ #238.

Thank you. It may be a few days for me to come up with something. Last
time I had something prepared in advance; not so this time. It's too
soon after the previous.

--
Dan Tilque

Mark Brader

Oct 31, 2016, 5:53:42 AM10/31/16
Mark Brader:
> > "So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish" was explicitly identified as
> > the 5th book in the "increasingly inaccurately named" trilogy.

Dan Tilque:
> Nitpick: #5 was Mostly Humourless^WHarmless. "So Long ..." was #4.

Oops, right. Well, it was a mostly harmless error.

> > And it's over to Dan Tilque for RQ #238.
>
> Thank you. It may be a few days for me to come up with something. Last
> time I had something prepared in advance...

So did I... and then I realized it was unusable immediately after your
#236 because it too involved etymology. So I came up with a second
idea... and then realized that this *also* involved etymology. The
actual #237 was my *third* idea. I may use one of the other ones on
another occasion if I have the opportunity.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto "When you say 'non-trivial', can you
m...@vex.net quantify that for me?" --Kate Hamilton