Calvin's Quiz #508

Calvin

Nov 6, 2017, 9:45:03 PM11/6/17

1 Which author's novels include 'The Wings of the Dove' (1902) and 'The Ambassadors (1903)'?
2 Stanislaus is the patron saint of which European country?
3 Which body of water separates Taiwan from the Philippines?
4 By what name was St Petersburg known from 1924 to 1991?
5 Among left-handers, who has won the most Grand Slam singles men's tennis titles?
6 Name any one of the Water signs according to Western astrology.
7 The 1998 Disney film 'The Prince of Egypt' centres on the life of which biblical figure?
8 What connects Pioneer, Viking and Cassini?
9 The 1915 sinking of which British ocean liner hastened the United States’ entry into World War One?
10 Lucky the Leprechaun is the mascot of which NBA team?

cheers,
calvin

Mark Brader

Nov 6, 2017, 10:49:58 PM11/6/17
"Calvin":
> 1 Which author's novels include 'The Wings of the Dove' (1902)
> and 'The Ambassadors (1903)'?

James.

> 2 Stanislaus is the patron saint of which European country?

Czechia?

> 3 Which body of water separates Taiwan from the Philippines?

Strait of Formosa?

> 4 By what name was St Petersburg known from 1924 to 1991?

Leningrad.

> 5 Among left-handers, who has won the most Grand Slam singles
> men's tennis titles?

Borg?

> 6 Name any one of the Water signs according to Western astrology.

Pisces.

> 7 The 1998 Disney film 'The Prince of Egypt' centres on the life
> of which biblical figure?

Moses?

> 8 What connects Pioneer, Viking and Cassini?

They're names of space probes.

> 9 The 1915 sinking of which British ocean liner hastened the
> United States' entry into World War One?

Lusitania.

> 10 Lucky the Leprechaun is the mascot of which NBA team?

Boston Celtics.
--
Mark Brader "...we are now uniquely privileged to sit side by side
Toronto with the giants on whose shoulders we stand."

Dan Blum

Nov 6, 2017, 11:44:34 PM11/6/17
Calvin <334...@gmail.com> wrote:

> 1 Which author's novels include 'The Wings of the Dove'?(1902) and 'The Ambassadors?(1903)'?

Henry James

> 2 Stanislaus is the patron saint of which European country?

Poland

> 3 Which body of water separates Taiwan from the Philippines?

South China Sea

> 4 By what name was St Petersburg known from 1924 to 1991?

Leningrad

> 6 Name any one of the Water signs according to Western astrology.

Aquarius

> 7 The 1998 Disney film 'The Prince of Egypt' centres on the life of which biblical figure?

Moses

> 8 What connects Pioneer, Viking and Cassini?

All are names of NASA unmanned missions

> 9 The 1915 sinking of which British ocean liner hastened the United States? entry into World War One?

Lusitania

> 10 Lucky the Leprechaun is the mascot of which NBA team?

Boston Celtics

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Dan Tilque

Nov 7, 2017, 12:31:21 AM11/7/17
Calvin wrote:

> 1 Which author's novels include 'The Wings of the Dove' (1902) and 'The Ambassadors (1903)'?
> 2 Stanislaus is the patron saint of which European country?

Poland

> 3 Which body of water separates Taiwan from the Philippines?
> 4 By what name was St Petersburg known from 1924 to 1991?

Leningrad

> 5 Among left-handers, who has won the most Grand Slam singles men's tennis titles?

McEnroe

> 6 Name any one of the Water signs according to Western astrology.

Aries

> 7 The 1998 Disney film 'The Prince of Egypt' centres on the life of which biblical figure?

Moses

> 8 What connects Pioneer, Viking and Cassini?

interplanetary spacecraft

> 9 The 1915 sinking of which British ocean liner hastened the United States’ entry into World War One?

Lusitania

> 10 Lucky the Leprechaun is the mascot of which NBA team?

Boston Celtics

--
Dan Tilque

Erland Sommarskog

Nov 7, 2017, 3:23:26 AM11/7/17
Calvin (334...@gmail.com) writes:
> 2 Stanislaus is the patron saint of which European country?

Poland

> 4 By what name was St Petersburg known from 1924 to 1991?

Leningrad

> 5 Among left-handers, who has won the most Grand Slam singles men's
> tennis titles?

Boris Becker

> 6 Name any one of the Water signs according to Western astrology.

Pisces

> 7 The 1998 Disney film 'The Prince of Egypt' centres on the life of
> which biblical figure?

Joseph

> 8 What connects Pioneer, Viking and Cassini?

They are all sattelites that have escaped the solar system

Peter Smyth

Nov 7, 2017, 4:40:08 AM11/7/17
Calvin wrote:

> 1 Which author's novels include 'The Wings of the Dove' (1902) and 'The Ambassadors (1903)'?
> 2 Stanislaus is the patron saint of which European country?
Poland
> 3 Which body of water separates Taiwan from the Philippines?
Yellow Sea
> 4 By what name was St Petersburg known from 1924 to 1991?
Leningrad
> 5 Among left-handers, who has won the most Grand Slam singles men's tennis titles?
Nadal
> 6 Name any one of the Water signs according to Western astrology.
Aquarius
> 7 The 1998 Disney film 'The Prince of Egypt' centres on the life of which biblical figure?
Moses
> 8 What connects Pioneer, Viking and Cassini?
Space probes
> 9 The 1915 sinking of which British ocean liner hastened the United States’ entry into World War One?
Lusitania
> 10 Lucky the Leprechaun is the mascot of which NBA team?
Boston

Peter Smyth

Marc Dashevsky

Nov 7, 2017, 10:17:07 AM11/7/17
In article <f6d9e3aa-da05-40ed...@googlegroups.com>, 334...@gmail.com says...

> 1 Which author's novels include 'The Wings of the Dove' (1902) and 'The Ambassadors (1903)'?
> 2 Stanislaus is the patron saint of which European country?
Poland

> 3 Which body of water separates Taiwan from the Philippines?
South China Sea

> 4 By what name was St Petersburg known from 1924 to 1991?
Leningrad

> 5 Among left-handers, who has won the most Grand Slam singles men's tennis titles?
> 6 Name any one of the Water signs according to Western astrology.
Aquarius

> 7 The 1998 Disney film 'The Prince of Egypt' centres on the life of which biblical figure?
Moses

> 8 What connects Pioneer, Viking and Cassini?
unmanned NASA missions

> 9 The 1915 sinking of which British ocean liner hastened the United States? entry into World War One?
Lusitania

> 10 Lucky the Leprechaun is the mascot of which NBA team?
Boston Celtics

---
http://www.avg.com

Bruce Bowler

Nov 7, 2017, 1:14:13 PM11/7/17
On Mon, 06 Nov 2017 18:45:02 -0800, Calvin wrote:

> 1 Which author's novels include 'The Wings of the Dove' (1902) and
> 'The Ambassadors (1903)'?

Henry James

> 2 Stanislaus is the patron saint of which European country?

Poland

> 3 Which body of water separates Taiwan from the Philippines?

South China Sea and the Philippine Sea

> 4 By what name was St Petersburg known from 1924 to 1991?

Leningrad

> 5 Among left-handers, who has won the most Grand Slam singles men's
> tennis titles?
> 6 Name any one of the Water signs according to Western astrology.

Aquarius

> 7 The 1998 Disney film 'The Prince of Egypt' centres on the life of
> which biblical figure?

Moses

> 8 What connects Pioneer, Viking and Cassini?

Mars

> 9 The 1915 sinking of which British ocean liner hastened the United
> States’ entry into World War One?

Lusitania

> 10 Lucky the Leprechaun is the mascot of which NBA team?

Celtics

Gareth Owen

Nov 7, 2017, 2:18:48 PM11/7/17
Calvin <334...@gmail.com> writes:

> 1 Which author's novels include 'The Wings of the Dove' (1902) and
> 'The Ambassadors (1903)'?

Henry James

> 2 Stanislaus is the patron saint of which European country?

Poland?

> 3 Which body of water separates Taiwan from the Philippines?

Strait of Taiwan

> 4 By what name was St Petersburg known from 1924 to 1991?

Leningrad

> 5 Among left-handers, who has won the most Grand Slam singles men's
> tennis titles?

Nadal

> 6 Name any one of the Water signs according to Western astrology.

Aquarius

> 7 The 1998 Disney film 'The Prince of Egypt' centres on the life of
> which biblical figure?

Moses??

> 8 What connects Pioneer, Viking and Cassini?

Space probes

> 9 The 1915 sinking of which British ocean liner hastened the United
> States’ entry into World War One?

Lusitania

> 10 Lucky the Leprechaun is the mascot of which NBA team?

Boston Celtics

Pete Gayde

Nov 11, 2017, 11:07:00 PM11/11/17
Calvin <334...@gmail.com> wrote in

> 1 Which author's novels include 'The Wings of the Dove' (1902)
> and 'The Ambassadors (1903)'?
> 2 Stanislaus is the patron saint of which European country?

Poland

> 3 Which body of water separates Taiwan from the Philippines?

South China Sea

> 4 By what name was St Petersburg known from 1924 to 1991?

Leningrad

> 5 Among left-handers, who has won the most Grand
> Slam singles men's tennis titles?

Laver

> 6 Name any one of the Water
> signs according to Western astrology.

Pisces

> 7 The 1998 Disney film 'The
> Prince of Egypt' centres on the life of which biblical figure?

Moses

> 8 What connects Pioneer, Viking and Cassini?

NASA Satellites

> 9 The 1915 sinking of
> which British ocean liner hastened the United States’ entry into
> World War One?

Lusitania

> 10 Lucky the Leprechaun is the mascot of which NBA team?

Boston Celtics

> cheers,
> calvin

Pete Gayde

Calvin

Nov 15, 2017, 5:45:43 PM11/15/17
On Tuesday, November 7, 2017 at 12:45:03 PM UTC+10, Calvin wrote:

> 1 Which author's novels include 'The Wings of the Dove' (1902) and 'The Ambassadors (1903)'?

Henry James

> 2 Stanislaus is the patron saint of which European country?

Poland

> 3 Which body of water separates Taiwan from the Philippines?

Luzon Strait
No-one got this. https://www.britannica.com/place/Luzon-Strait

> 4 By what name was St Petersburg known from 1924 to 1991?

Leningrad

> 5 Among left-handers, who has won the most Grand Slam singles men's tennis titles?

Nadal

> 6 Name any one of the Water signs according to Western astrology.

Cancer, Scorpio or Pisces
Aquarius was a popular but wrong answer

> 7 The 1998 Disney film 'The Prince of Egypt' centres on the life of which biblical figure?

Moses

> 8 What connects Pioneer, Viking and Cassini?

Space probes / missions

> 9 The 1915 sinking of which British ocean liner hastened the United States’ entry into World War One?

[RMS] Lusitania

> 10 Lucky the Leprechaun is the mascot of which NBA team?

Boston Celtics

Q1 Q2 Q3 Q4 Q5 Q6 Q7 Q8 Q9 Q10 TOTAL TB Quiz 508
1 1 0 1 1 0 1 1 1 1 8 55 Gareth Owen
1 0 0 1 0 1 1 1 1 1 7 48 Mark Brader
0 1 0 1 1 0 1 1 1 1 7 51 Peter Smyth
0 1 0 1 0 1 1 1 1 1 7 52 Pete Gayde
1 1 0 1 0 0 1 1 1 1 7 53 Dan Blum
1 1 0 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 6 45 Bruce Bowler
0 1 0 1 0 0 1 1 1 1 6 49 Marc Dashevsky
0 1 0 1 0 0 1 1 1 1 6 49 Dan Tilque
0 1 0 1 0 1 0 1 0 0 4 28 Erland S
- - - - - - - - - - --- ----------
4 8 0 9 2 3 8 8 8 8 58 72%

Gareth noses it from the pack on 7.

cheers,
calvin

Erland Sommarskog

Nov 16, 2017, 7:59:42 AM11/16/17
Calvin (334...@gmail.com) writes:
>> 3 Which body of water separates Taiwan from the Philippines?
>
> Luzon Strait
> No-one got this. https://www.britannica.com/place/Luzon-Strait

It seems that people in this group have difficult to get things strait.
It was equally bad with India and Sri Lanka some time back.