QFTCIMI515 Game 3, Rounds 7-8: go, girl, rivers

Mark Brader

Mar 26, 2015, 7:08:54 AM3/26/15
These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2015-01-26,
and should be interpreted accordingly.

Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

All questions were written by members of MI5, and are used here by
permission, but have been reformatted and may have been retyped
and/or edited by me. For further information see my 2015-02-23
companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian Inquisition
(QFTCI*)".

* Game 3, Round 7 - Literature - You Go, Girl!

Literature is full of feisty fictional females. We'll describe such
a character; you name her.

*Note*: On some questions you have to give the first and last name,
but to avoid a mass of rot13 specifications, I won't tell you
which ones; you should *always try to give both names if you can*.
If only one name is required and you give the other one wrongly,
it won't be scored against you. For example, if the answer was
"Lois Lane", you said "Lois Street", and I only required the first
name, that would be correct. In one case a description based on
the work's title is also acceptable.

1. It drives this girl crazy that she can't go and fight in the
Civil War with her father. She is clumsy, blunt, opinionated,
and unladylike. She loves literature and writes plays for her
three sisters to perform. She hates the idea of marriage and
romance because it might separate her from the sisters she loves,
but eventually she marries an expatriate German.

2. This character has dark hair, green eyes, and pale skin, and is
famous for her fashionably small 17-inch waist. Outwardly she
is the picture of charm and womanly virtues, but she proves
to be tough as nails when war sweeps through her homeland.
Despite having three husbands, she isn't a fan of marriage,
and says: "Marriage, fun? Fun for men, you mean."

3. This little girl lives with 11 other little girls in an old house
in Paris that is covered in vines. Every morning they leave the
house at half past nine, in two straight lines, in rain or shine.
She is the smallest of the 12 little girls.

4. This little girl is a survivor. Saddled with an awful family,
she makes the best of what she does have -- high intellegence
and, oh yes, telekinetic powers. She has a close bond with her
teacher Miss Honey but clashes with her horrible headmistress
Miss Trunchbull. In the movie version, her parents were played
by Danny De Vito and Rhea Perlman.

5. This girl is saved from a mountain troll in the girls' bathroom
of her new school by two boys who become her close friends.
She is a logical overachiever who excels academically, but is
also bossy and show-offy. When she grows up, she marries one
of the boys from the bathroom.

6. This girl was orphaned as an infant when her schoolteacher
parents died of typhoid fever. She didn't have a permanent home
until she was sent to a farm when she was eleven. She displays
a quirky joy in life, gets drunk on homemade wine, attacks a
classmate with her slate, and almost drowns in a re-enactment
of Tennyson's Lancelot and Elaine. She loves puffed sleeves
and hates her hair.

7. This 6 year old tomboy with omnipresent overalls sees fighting
as the solution to everything. Her real first names are Jean
Louise, but everyone uses her nickname. Her closest companion is
her older brother, and she and her friend Dill make half-hearted
playful attempts to get engaged. She is horrified when she
has to be a cured ham in her town's Halloween pageant.

feisty side when she replies, "Do you think because I am
poor, obscure, plain and little, I am soulless and heartless?
You think wrong." Reader, she marries him.

9. This young woman, a student at the FBI academy, hopes to work
at the Behavioral Science Unit, tracking down serial killers.
Her mentor sends her to Baltimore to interview an incarcerated
killer who grows to respect her strength and intelligence.
Her policeman father was shot when she was a child and she was
sent to live on an uncle's farm.

10. This little girl lives in a room on the tippy top floor of
the Plaza Hotel with her Nanny, her pug Weenie, and her turtle
Skipperdee. Liza Minnelli has been cited as a possible role
model for this character.

* Game 3, Round 8 - Geography Down by the Riverside

Before the arrival of railways, rivers were the world's
superhighways. Given the names of two or three cities, identify
the river where they are located.

1. Luxor, Aswan, Khartoum.
2. Shanghai, Yangzhou, Nanjing.
3. Kisangani, Brazzaville, Kinshasa.
4. Minneapolis, St. Louis, Memphis.
5. Bamako, Timbuktu, Niamey.
6. Bratislava, Vienna, Budapest.
7. Peshawar, Gilgit, Rawalpindi.
8. Astrakhan, Ulyanovsk, Kazan.
9. Grand Junction, Lake Havasu City, Yuma.
10. Allahabad, Varanasi, Patna.

--
Mark Brader "One doesn't have to be a grammarian
Toronto to know when someone's talking balls."

bbowler

Mar 26, 2015, 7:47:49 AM3/26/15
Madeline
Clarice Starling

> 10. This little girl lives in a room on the tippy top floor of
> the Plaza Hotel with her Nanny, her pug Weenie, and her turtle
> Skipperdee. Liza Minnelli has been cited as a possible role model
> for this character.
>

> * Game 3, Round 8 - Geography Down by the Riverside
>
> Before the arrival of railways, rivers were the world's superhighways.
> Given the names of two or three cities, identify the river where they
> are located.
>
> 1. Luxor, Aswan, Khartoum.

Nile

> 2. Shanghai, Yangzhou, Nanjing.

Yellow

> 3. Kisangani, Brazzaville, Kinshasa.

Congo

> 4. Minneapolis, St. Louis, Memphis.

Mississippi

> 5. Bamako, Timbuktu, Niamey.

Niger

> 6. Bratislava, Vienna, Budapest.

Danube

> 7. Peshawar, Gilgit, Rawalpindi.
> 8. Astrakhan, Ulyanovsk, Kazan.

Volga

> 9. Grand Junction, Lake Havasu City, Yuma.

Colorado

> 10. Allahabad, Varanasi, Patna.

Ganges

Dan Blum

Mar 26, 2015, 10:00:21 AM3/26/15
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 3, Round 7 - Literature - You Go, Girl!

> 1. It drives this girl crazy that she can't go and fight in the
> Civil War with her father. She is clumsy, blunt, opinionated,
> and unladylike. She loves literature and writes plays for her
> three sisters to perform. She hates the idea of marriage and
> romance because it might separate her from the sisters she loves,
> but eventually she marries an expatriate German.

Jo March

> 2. This character has dark hair, green eyes, and pale skin, and is
> famous for her fashionably small 17-inch waist. Outwardly she
> is the picture of charm and womanly virtues, but she proves
> to be tough as nails when war sweeps through her homeland.
> Despite having three husbands, she isn't a fan of marriage,
> and says: "Marriage, fun? Fun for men, you mean."

Scarlett O'Hara

> 3. This little girl lives with 11 other little girls in an old house
> in Paris that is covered in vines. Every morning they leave the
> house at half past nine, in two straight lines, in rain or shine.
> She is the smallest of the 12 little girls.

Madeleine

> 4. This little girl is a survivor. Saddled with an awful family,
> she makes the best of what she does have -- high intellegence
> and, oh yes, telekinetic powers. She has a close bond with her
> teacher Miss Honey but clashes with her horrible headmistress
> Miss Trunchbull. In the movie version, her parents were played
> by Danny De Vito and Rhea Perlman.

Matilda

> 5. This girl is saved from a mountain troll in the girls' bathroom
> of her new school by two boys who become her close friends.
> She is a logical overachiever who excels academically, but is
> also bossy and show-offy. When she grows up, she marries one
> of the boys from the bathroom.

Hermione Grainger

> 6. This girl was orphaned as an infant when her schoolteacher
> parents died of typhoid fever. She didn't have a permanent home
> until she was sent to a farm when she was eleven. She displays
> a quirky joy in life, gets drunk on homemade wine, attacks a
> classmate with her slate, and almost drowns in a re-enactment
> of Tennyson's Lancelot and Elaine. She loves puffed sleeves
> and hates her hair.

Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm

> feisty side when she replies, "Do you think because I am
> poor, obscure, plain and little, I am soulless and heartless?
> You think wrong." Reader, she marries him.

Jane Eyre

> 9. This young woman, a student at the FBI academy, hopes to work
> at the Behavioral Science Unit, tracking down serial killers.
> Her mentor sends her to Baltimore to interview an incarcerated
> killer who grows to respect her strength and intelligence.
> Her policeman father was shot when she was a child and she was
> sent to live on an uncle's farm.

Clarice Starling

> 10. This little girl lives in a room on the tippy top floor of
> the Plaza Hotel with her Nanny, her pug Weenie, and her turtle
> Skipperdee. Liza Minnelli has been cited as a possible role
> model for this character.

Eloise

> * Game 3, Round 8 - Geography Down by the Riverside

> 1. Luxor, Aswan, Khartoum.

Nile

> 2. Shanghai, Yangzhou, Nanjing.

Yangtze; Yellow

> 3. Kisangani, Brazzaville, Kinshasa.

Congo

> 4. Minneapolis, St. Louis, Memphis.

Mississippi

> 6. Bratislava, Vienna, Budapest.

Danube

> 7. Peshawar, Gilgit, Rawalpindi.

Ganges; Indus

> 8. Astrakhan, Ulyanovsk, Kazan.

Don; Dneiper

> 9. Grand Junction, Lake Havasu City, Yuma.

Colorado

> 10. Allahabad, Varanasi, Patna.

Indus; Ganges

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Marc Dashevsky

Mar 26, 2015, 12:27:37 PM3/26/15
In article <QcidnUTuWP5YdY7I...@vex.net>, m...@vex.net says...
> * Game 3, Round 7 - Literature - You Go, Girl!
>
> Literature is full of feisty fictional females. We'll describe such
> a character; you name her.
>
> *Note*: On some questions you have to give the first and last name,
> but to avoid a mass of rot13 specifications, I won't tell you
> which ones; you should *always try to give both names if you can*.
> If only one name is required and you give the other one wrongly,
> it won't be scored against you. For example, if the answer was
> "Lois Lane", you said "Lois Street", and I only required the first
> name, that would be correct. In one case a description based on
> the work's title is also acceptable.
>
> 1. It drives this girl crazy that she can't go and fight in the
> Civil War with her father. She is clumsy, blunt, opinionated,
> and unladylike. She loves literature and writes plays for her
> three sisters to perform. She hates the idea of marriage and
> romance because it might separate her from the sisters she loves,
> but eventually she marries an expatriate German.
Jo

> 2. This character has dark hair, green eyes, and pale skin, and is
> famous for her fashionably small 17-inch waist. Outwardly she
> is the picture of charm and womanly virtues, but she proves
> to be tough as nails when war sweeps through her homeland.
> Despite having three husbands, she isn't a fan of marriage,
> and says: "Marriage, fun? Fun for men, you mean."
Scarlet O'Hara

> 3. This little girl lives with 11 other little girls in an old house
> in Paris that is covered in vines. Every morning they leave the
> house at half past nine, in two straight lines, in rain or shine.
> She is the smallest of the 12 little girls.
Madeleine

> 4. This little girl is a survivor. Saddled with an awful family,
> she makes the best of what she does have -- high intellegence
> and, oh yes, telekinetic powers. She has a close bond with her
> teacher Miss Honey but clashes with her horrible headmistress
> Miss Trunchbull. In the movie version, her parents were played
> by Danny De Vito and Rhea Perlman.
Matilda

> 5. This girl is saved from a mountain troll in the girls' bathroom
> of her new school by two boys who become her close friends.
> She is a logical overachiever who excels academically, but is
> also bossy and show-offy. When she grows up, she marries one
> of the boys from the bathroom.
Nancy Drew (just kidding)

> 6. This girl was orphaned as an infant when her schoolteacher
> parents died of typhoid fever. She didn't have a permanent home
> until she was sent to a farm when she was eleven. She displays
> a quirky joy in life, gets drunk on homemade wine, attacks a
> classmate with her slate, and almost drowns in a re-enactment
> of Tennyson's Lancelot and Elaine. She loves puffed sleeves
> and hates her hair.
Anne of Green Gables

> 7. This 6 year old tomboy with omnipresent overalls sees fighting
> as the solution to everything. Her real first names are Jean
> Louise, but everyone uses her nickname. Her closest companion is
> her older brother, and she and her friend Dill make half-hearted
> playful attempts to get engaged. She is horrified when she
> has to be a cured ham in her town's Halloween pageant.
Scout

> feisty side when she replies, "Do you think because I am
> poor, obscure, plain and little, I am soulless and heartless?
> You think wrong." Reader, she marries him.
Jane Eyre

> 9. This young woman, a student at the FBI academy, hopes to work
> at the Behavioral Science Unit, tracking down serial killers.
> Her mentor sends her to Baltimore to interview an incarcerated
> killer who grows to respect her strength and intelligence.
> Her policeman father was shot when she was a child and she was
> sent to live on an uncle's farm.
Clarice Starling

> 10. This little girl lives in a room on the tippy top floor of
> the Plaza Hotel with her Nanny, her pug Weenie, and her turtle
> Skipperdee. Liza Minnelli has been cited as a possible role
> model for this character.
Eloise

> * Game 3, Round 8 - Geography Down by the Riverside
>
> Before the arrival of railways, rivers were the world's
> superhighways. Given the names of two or three cities, identify
> the river where they are located.
>
> 1. Luxor, Aswan, Khartoum.
Nile

> 2. Shanghai, Yangzhou, Nanjing.
Yangtzee

> 3. Kisangani, Brazzaville, Kinshasa.
Congo

> 4. Minneapolis, St. Louis, Memphis.
Mississippi

> 5. Bamako, Timbuktu, Niamey.
> 6. Bratislava, Vienna, Budapest.
Danube

> 7. Peshawar, Gilgit, Rawalpindi.
> 8. Astrakhan, Ulyanovsk, Kazan.
Ural

> 9. Grand Junction, Lake Havasu City, Yuma.
Colorado

> 10. Allahabad, Varanasi, Patna.
Ganges

Peter Smyth

Mar 26, 2015, 2:17:23 PM3/26/15
Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 3, Round 7 - Literature - You Go, Girl!
>
> Literature is full of feisty fictional females. We'll describe such
> a character; you name her.
>
> Note: On some questions you have to give the first and last name,
> but to avoid a mass of rot13 specifications, I won't tell you
> which ones; you should *always try to give both names if you can*.
> If only one name is required and you give the other one wrongly,
> it won't be scored against you. For example, if the answer was
> "Lois Lane", you said "Lois Street", and I only required the first
> name, that would be correct. In one case a description based on
> the work's title is also acceptable.
>
> 1. It drives this girl crazy that she can't go and fight in the
> Civil War with her father. She is clumsy, blunt, opinionated,
> and unladylike. She loves literature and writes plays for her
> three sisters to perform. She hates the idea of marriage and
> romance because it might separate her from the sisters she loves,
> but eventually she marries an expatriate German.
Scarlett O'Hara
> 2. This character has dark hair, green eyes, and pale skin, and is
> famous for her fashionably small 17-inch waist. Outwardly she
> is the picture of charm and womanly virtues, but she proves
> to be tough as nails when war sweeps through her homeland.
> Despite having three husbands, she isn't a fan of marriage,
> and says: "Marriage, fun? Fun for men, you mean."
Scarlett O'Hara
> 3. This little girl lives with 11 other little girls in an old house
> in Paris that is covered in vines. Every morning they leave the
> house at half past nine, in two straight lines, in rain or shine.
> She is the smallest of the 12 little girls.
>
> 4. This little girl is a survivor. Saddled with an awful family,
> she makes the best of what she does have -- high intellegence
> and, oh yes, telekinetic powers. She has a close bond with her
> teacher Miss Honey but clashes with her horrible headmistress
> Miss Trunchbull. In the movie version, her parents were played
> by Danny De Vito and Rhea Perlman.
Matilda
> 5. This girl is saved from a mountain troll in the girls' bathroom
> of her new school by two boys who become her close friends.
> She is a logical overachiever who excels academically, but is
> also bossy and show-offy. When she grows up, she marries one
> of the boys from the bathroom.
Hermione Granger
> 6. This girl was orphaned as an infant when her schoolteacher
> parents died of typhoid fever. She didn't have a permanent home
> until she was sent to a farm when she was eleven. She displays
> a quirky joy in life, gets drunk on homemade wine, attacks a
> classmate with her slate, and almost drowns in a re-enactment
> of Tennyson's Lancelot and Elaine. She loves puffed sleeves
> and hates her hair.
>
> 7. This 6 year old tomboy with omnipresent overalls sees fighting
> as the solution to everything. Her real first names are Jean
> Louise, but everyone uses her nickname. Her closest companion is
> her older brother, and she and her friend Dill make half-hearted
> playful attempts to get engaged. She is horrified when she
> has to be a cured ham in her town's Halloween pageant.

> feisty side when she replies, "Do you think because I am
> poor, obscure, plain and little, I am soulless and heartless?
> You think wrong." Reader, she marries him.
Maria Von Trapp
> 9. This young woman, a student at the FBI academy, hopes to work
> at the Behavioral Science Unit, tracking down serial killers.
> Her mentor sends her to Baltimore to interview an incarcerated
> killer who grows to respect her strength and intelligence.
> Her policeman father was shot when she was a child and she was
> sent to live on an uncle's farm.
Clarice Starling
> 10. This little girl lives in a room on the tippy top floor of
> the Plaza Hotel with her Nanny, her pug Weenie, and her turtle
> Skipperdee. Liza Minnelli has been cited as a possible role
> model for this character.
>

> * Game 3, Round 8 - Geography Down by the Riverside
>
> Before the arrival of railways, rivers were the world's
> superhighways. Given the names of two or three cities, identify
> the river where they are located.
>
> 1. Luxor, Aswan, Khartoum.
Nile
> 2. Shanghai, Yangzhou, Nanjing.
Yangtze
> 3. Kisangani, Brazzaville, Kinshasa.
Congo
> 4. Minneapolis, St. Louis, Memphis.
Mississippi
> 5. Bamako, Timbuktu, Niamey.

> 6. Bratislava, Vienna, Budapest.
Danube
> 7. Peshawar, Gilgit, Rawalpindi.
Euphrates
> 8. Astrakhan, Ulyanovsk, Kazan.
> 9. Grand Junction, Lake Havasu City, Yuma.
Colorado
> 10. Allahabad, Varanasi, Patna.
Ganges

Peter Smyth

Erland Sommarskog

Mar 26, 2015, 5:11:12 PM3/26/15
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> * Game 3, Round 8 - Geography Down by the Riverside
>
> Before the arrival of railways, rivers were the world's
> superhighways. Given the names of two or three cities, identify
> the river where they are located.
>
> 1. Luxor, Aswan, Khartoum.

Nile

> 2. Shanghai, Yangzhou, Nanjing.

Yellow River

> 3. Kisangani, Brazzaville, Kinshasa.

Congo

> 4. Minneapolis, St. Louis, Memphis.

Mississippi

> 5. Bamako, Timbuktu, Niamey.

Niger

> 6. Bratislava, Vienna, Budapest.

Danube

> 7. Peshawar, Gilgit, Rawalpindi.

Indus

> 8. Astrakhan, Ulyanovsk, Kazan.

Volga

> 9. Grand Junction, Lake Havasu City, Yuma.

Snake

> 10. Allahabad, Varanasi, Patna.

Ganges

swp

Mar 26, 2015, 6:04:28 PM3/26/15
On Thursday, March 26, 2015 at 7:08:54 AM UTC-4, Mark Brader wrote:
> * Game 3, Round 7 - Literature - You Go, Girl!
>
> Literature is full of feisty fictional females. We'll describe such
> a character; you name her.
>
> *Note*: On some questions you have to give the first and last name,
> but to avoid a mass of rot13 specifications, I won't tell you
> which ones; you should *always try to give both names if you can*.

noted

> If only one name is required and you give the other one wrongly,
> it won't be scored against you. For example, if the answer was
> "Lois Lane", you said "Lois Street", and I only required the first
> name, that would be correct. In one case a description based on
> the work's title is also acceptable.
>
> 1. It drives this girl crazy that she can't go and fight in the
> Civil War with her father. She is clumsy, blunt, opinionated,
> and unladylike. She loves literature and writes plays for her
> three sisters to perform. She hates the idea of marriage and
> romance because it might separate her from the sisters she loves,
> but eventually she marries an expatriate German.

jo march

> 2. This character has dark hair, green eyes, and pale skin, and is
> famous for her fashionably small 17-inch waist. Outwardly she
> is the picture of charm and womanly virtues, but she proves
> to be tough as nails when war sweeps through her homeland.
> Despite having three husbands, she isn't a fan of marriage,
> and says: "Marriage, fun? Fun for men, you mean."

scarlett o'hara

> 3. This little girl lives with 11 other little girls in an old house
> in Paris that is covered in vines. Every morning they leave the
> house at half past nine, in two straight lines, in rain or shine.
> She is the smallest of the 12 little girls.

caroline

> 4. This little girl is a survivor. Saddled with an awful family,
> she makes the best of what she does have -- high intellegence
> and, oh yes, telekinetic powers. She has a close bond with her
> teacher Miss Honey but clashes with her horrible headmistress
> Miss Trunchbull. In the movie version, her parents were played
> by Danny De Vito and Rhea Perlman.

matilda

> 5. This girl is saved from a mountain troll in the girls' bathroom
> of her new school by two boys who become her close friends.
> She is a logical overachiever who excels academically, but is
> also bossy and show-offy. When she grows up, she marries one
> of the boys from the bathroom.

hermione granger

> 6. This girl was orphaned as an infant when her schoolteacher
> parents died of typhoid fever. She didn't have a permanent home
> until she was sent to a farm when she was eleven. She displays
> a quirky joy in life, gets drunk on homemade wine, attacks a
> classmate with her slate, and almost drowns in a re-enactment
> of Tennyson's Lancelot and Elaine. She loves puffed sleeves
> and hates her hair.

anne shirley ; anne of green gables

> 7. This 6 year old tomboy with omnipresent overalls sees fighting
> as the solution to everything. Her real first names are Jean
> Louise, but everyone uses her nickname. Her closest companion is
> her older brother, and she and her friend Dill make half-hearted
> playful attempts to get engaged. She is horrified when she
> has to be a cured ham in her town's Halloween pageant.

'scout' from to kill a mockingbird

> feisty side when she replies, "Do you think because I am
> poor, obscure, plain and little, I am soulless and heartless?
> You think wrong." Reader, she marries him.

jane eyre (reader?)

> 9. This young woman, a student at the FBI academy, hopes to work
> at the Behavioral Science Unit, tracking down serial killers.
> Her mentor sends her to Baltimore to interview an incarcerated
> killer who grows to respect her strength and intelligence.
> Her policeman father was shot when she was a child and she was
> sent to live on an uncle's farm.

clarice starling

> 10. This little girl lives in a room on the tippy top floor of
> the Plaza Hotel with her Nanny, her pug Weenie, and her turtle
> Skipperdee. Liza Minnelli has been cited as a possible role
> model for this character.

eloise

> * Game 3, Round 8 - Geography Down by the Riverside
>
> Before the arrival of railways, rivers were the world's
> superhighways. Given the names of two or three cities, identify
> the river where they are located.
>
> 1. Luxor, Aswan, Khartoum.

nile

> 2. Shanghai, Yangzhou, Nanjing.

yangtze

> 3. Kisangani, Brazzaville, Kinshasa.

congo

> 4. Minneapolis, St. Louis, Memphis.

mississippi

> 5. Bamako, Timbuktu, Niamey.

niger

> 6. Bratislava, Vienna, Budapest.

danube

> 7. Peshawar, Gilgit, Rawalpindi.

> 8. Astrakhan, Ulyanovsk, Kazan.

volga

> 9. Grand Junction, Lake Havasu City, Yuma.

colorado

> 10. Allahabad, Varanasi, Patna.

ganges

swp

Joshua Kreitzer

Mar 26, 2015, 9:33:19 PM3/26/15
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:QcidnUTuWP5YdY7InZ2dnUU7-
Iud...@vex.net:

> * Game 3, Round 7 - Literature - You Go, Girl!
>
> Literature is full of feisty fictional females. We'll describe such
> a character; you name her.
>
> 1. It drives this girl crazy that she can't go and fight in the
> Civil War with her father. She is clumsy, blunt, opinionated,
> and unladylike. She loves literature and writes plays for her
> three sisters to perform. She hates the idea of marriage and
> romance because it might separate her from the sisters she loves,
> but eventually she marries an expatriate German.

Jo March

> 2. This character has dark hair, green eyes, and pale skin, and is
> famous for her fashionably small 17-inch waist. Outwardly she
> is the picture of charm and womanly virtues, but she proves
> to be tough as nails when war sweeps through her homeland.
> Despite having three husbands, she isn't a fan of marriage,
> and says: "Marriage, fun? Fun for men, you mean."

Scarlett O'Hara

> 3. This little girl lives with 11 other little girls in an old house
> in Paris that is covered in vines. Every morning they leave the
> house at half past nine, in two straight lines, in rain or shine.
> She is the smallest of the 12 little girls.

Madeleine

> 4. This little girl is a survivor. Saddled with an awful family,
> she makes the best of what she does have -- high intellegence
> and, oh yes, telekinetic powers. She has a close bond with her
> teacher Miss Honey but clashes with her horrible headmistress
> Miss Trunchbull. In the movie version, her parents were played
> by Danny De Vito and Rhea Perlman.

Matilda

> 5. This girl is saved from a mountain troll in the girls' bathroom
> of her new school by two boys who become her close friends.
> She is a logical overachiever who excels academically, but is
> also bossy and show-offy. When she grows up, she marries one
> of the boys from the bathroom.

Hermione Granger

> 6. This girl was orphaned as an infant when her schoolteacher
> parents died of typhoid fever. She didn't have a permanent home
> until she was sent to a farm when she was eleven. She displays
> a quirky joy in life, gets drunk on homemade wine, attacks a
> classmate with her slate, and almost drowns in a re-enactment
> of Tennyson's Lancelot and Elaine. She loves puffed sleeves
> and hates her hair.

Anne Shirley

> 7. This 6 year old tomboy with omnipresent overalls sees fighting
> as the solution to everything. Her real first names are Jean
> Louise, but everyone uses her nickname. Her closest companion is
> her older brother, and she and her friend Dill make half-hearted
> playful attempts to get engaged. She is horrified when she
> has to be a cured ham in her town's Halloween pageant.

Scout Finch

> feisty side when she replies, "Do you think because I am
> poor, obscure, plain and little, I am soulless and heartless?
> You think wrong." Reader, she marries him.

Jane Eyre

> 9. This young woman, a student at the FBI academy, hopes to work
> at the Behavioral Science Unit, tracking down serial killers.
> Her mentor sends her to Baltimore to interview an incarcerated
> killer who grows to respect her strength and intelligence.
> Her policeman father was shot when she was a child and she was
> sent to live on an uncle's farm.

Clarice Starling

> 10. This little girl lives in a room on the tippy top floor of
> the Plaza Hotel with her Nanny, her pug Weenie, and her turtle
> Skipperdee. Liza Minnelli has been cited as a possible role
> model for this character.

Eloise

> * Game 3, Round 8 - Geography Down by the Riverside
>
> Given the names of two or three cities, identify
> the river where they are located.
>
> 1. Luxor, Aswan, Khartoum.

Nile River

> 2. Shanghai, Yangzhou, Nanjing.

Yangtze River

> 3. Kisangani, Brazzaville, Kinshasa.

Congo River

> 4. Minneapolis, St. Louis, Memphis.

Mississippi River

> 5. Bamako, Timbuktu, Niamey.

Niger River

> 6. Bratislava, Vienna, Budapest.

Danube River

> 7. Peshawar, Gilgit, Rawalpindi.

Indus River

> 9. Grand Junction, Lake Havasu City, Yuma.

Colorado River

> 10. Allahabad, Varanasi, Patna.

Ganges River

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

Calvin

Mar 26, 2015, 10:06:36 PM3/26/15
On Thursday, March 26, 2015 at 9:08:54 PM UTC+10, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 3, Round 7 - Literature - You Go, Girl!

> 1. It drives this girl crazy that she can't go and fight in the
> Civil War with her father. She is clumsy, blunt, opinionated,
> and unladylike. She loves literature and writes plays for her
> three sisters to perform. She hates the idea of marriage and
> romance because it might separate her from the sisters she loves,
> but eventually she marries an expatriate German.
>
> 2. This character has dark hair, green eyes, and pale skin, and is
> famous for her fashionably small 17-inch waist. Outwardly she
> is the picture of charm and womanly virtues, but she proves
> to be tough as nails when war sweeps through her homeland.
> Despite having three husbands, she isn't a fan of marriage,
> and says: "Marriage, fun? Fun for men, you mean."

Heidi?

> 3. This little girl lives with 11 other little girls in an old house
> in Paris that is covered in vines. Every morning they leave the
> house at half past nine, in two straight lines, in rain or shine.
> She is the smallest of the 12 little girls.

Becky Sharp?

> 4. This little girl is a survivor. Saddled with an awful family,
> she makes the best of what she does have -- high intellegence
> and, oh yes, telekinetic powers. She has a close bond with her
> teacher Miss Honey but clashes with her horrible headmistress
> Miss Trunchbull. In the movie version, her parents were played
> by Danny De Vito and Rhea Perlman.
>
> 5. This girl is saved from a mountain troll in the girls' bathroom
> of her new school by two boys who become her close friends.
> She is a logical overachiever who excels academically, but is
> also bossy and show-offy. When she grows up, she marries one
> of the boys from the bathroom.
>
> 6. This girl was orphaned as an infant when her schoolteacher
> parents died of typhoid fever. She didn't have a permanent home
> until she was sent to a farm when she was eleven. She displays
> a quirky joy in life, gets drunk on homemade wine, attacks a
> classmate with her slate, and almost drowns in a re-enactment
> of Tennyson's Lancelot and Elaine. She loves puffed sleeves
> and hates her hair.
>
> 7. This 6 year old tomboy with omnipresent overalls sees fighting
> as the solution to everything. Her real first names are Jean
> Louise, but everyone uses her nickname. Her closest companion is
> her older brother, and she and her friend Dill make half-hearted
> playful attempts to get engaged. She is horrified when she
> has to be a cured ham in her town's Halloween pageant.

Scout Finch

> feisty side when she replies, "Do you think because I am
> poor, obscure, plain and little, I am soulless and heartless?
> You think wrong." Reader, she marries him.

Jane Eyre

> 9. This young woman, a student at the FBI academy, hopes to work
> at the Behavioral Science Unit, tracking down serial killers.
> Her mentor sends her to Baltimore to interview an incarcerated
> killer who grows to respect her strength and intelligence.
> Her policeman father was shot when she was a child and she was
> sent to live on an uncle's farm.

Clarice Starling

> 10. This little girl lives in a room on the tippy top floor of
> the Plaza Hotel with her Nanny, her pug Weenie, and her turtle
> Skipperdee. Liza Minnelli has been cited as a possible role
> model for this character.
>

> * Game 3, Round 8 - Geography Down by the Riverside
>
> Before the arrival of railways, rivers were the world's
> superhighways. Given the names of two or three cities, identify
> the river where they are located.
>
> 1. Luxor, Aswan, Khartoum.

Nile

> 2. Shanghai, Yangzhou, Nanjing.

Hwang Ho, Yangtze

> 3. Kisangani, Brazzaville, Kinshasa.

Congo

> 4. Minneapolis, St. Louis, Memphis.

Mississippi

> 5. Bamako, Timbuktu, Niamey.

Niger

> 6. Bratislava, Vienna, Budapest.

Rhine

> 7. Peshawar, Gilgit, Rawalpindi.

Tigris, Euphrates

> 8. Astrakhan, Ulyanovsk, Kazan.

Volga

> 9. Grand Junction, Lake Havasu City, Yuma.

Amazon

> 10. Allahabad, Varanasi, Patna.

Tigris, Euphrates

cheers,
calvin

Dan Tilque

Mar 27, 2015, 12:15:31 AM3/27/15
Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 3, Round 7 - Literature - You Go, Girl!
>
> Literature is full of feisty fictional females. We'll describe such
> a character; you name her.
>
> *Note*: On some questions you have to give the first and last name,
> but to avoid a mass of rot13 specifications, I won't tell you
> which ones; you should *always try to give both names if you can*.
> If only one name is required and you give the other one wrongly,
> it won't be scored against you. For example, if the answer was
> "Lois Lane", you said "Lois Street", and I only required the first
> name, that would be correct. In one case a description based on
> the work's title is also acceptable.
>
> 1. It drives this girl crazy that she can't go and fight in the
> Civil War with her father. She is clumsy, blunt, opinionated,
> and unladylike. She loves literature and writes plays for her
> three sisters to perform. She hates the idea of marriage and
> romance because it might separate her from the sisters she loves,
> but eventually she marries an expatriate German.
>
> 2. This character has dark hair, green eyes, and pale skin, and is
> famous for her fashionably small 17-inch waist. Outwardly she
> is the picture of charm and womanly virtues, but she proves
> to be tough as nails when war sweeps through her homeland.
> Despite having three husbands, she isn't a fan of marriage,
> and says: "Marriage, fun? Fun for men, you mean."

Scarlett O'Hara

> 3. This little girl lives with 11 other little girls in an old house
> in Paris that is covered in vines. Every morning they leave the
> house at half past nine, in two straight lines, in rain or shine.
> She is the smallest of the 12 little girls.
>
> 4. This little girl is a survivor. Saddled with an awful family,
> she makes the best of what she does have -- high intellegence
> and, oh yes, telekinetic powers. She has a close bond with her
> teacher Miss Honey but clashes with her horrible headmistress
> Miss Trunchbull. In the movie version, her parents were played
> by Danny De Vito and Rhea Perlman.
>
> 5. This girl is saved from a mountain troll in the girls' bathroom
> of her new school by two boys who become her close friends.
> She is a logical overachiever who excels academically, but is
> also bossy and show-offy. When she grows up, she marries one
> of the boys from the bathroom.
>
> 6. This girl was orphaned as an infant when her schoolteacher
> parents died of typhoid fever. She didn't have a permanent home
> until she was sent to a farm when she was eleven. She displays
> a quirky joy in life, gets drunk on homemade wine, attacks a
> classmate with her slate, and almost drowns in a re-enactment
> of Tennyson's Lancelot and Elaine. She loves puffed sleeves
> and hates her hair.

Anne of Green Gables

> 7. This 6 year old tomboy with omnipresent overalls sees fighting
> as the solution to everything. Her real first names are Jean
> Louise, but everyone uses her nickname. Her closest companion is
> her older brother, and she and her friend Dill make half-hearted
> playful attempts to get engaged. She is horrified when she
> has to be a cured ham in her town's Halloween pageant.

Scout Finch

> feisty side when she replies, "Do you think because I am
> poor, obscure, plain and little, I am soulless and heartless?
> You think wrong." Reader, she marries him.
>
> 9. This young woman, a student at the FBI academy, hopes to work
> at the Behavioral Science Unit, tracking down serial killers.
> Her mentor sends her to Baltimore to interview an incarcerated
> killer who grows to respect her strength and intelligence.
> Her policeman father was shot when she was a child and she was
> sent to live on an uncle's farm.
>
> 10. This little girl lives in a room on the tippy top floor of
> the Plaza Hotel with her Nanny, her pug Weenie, and her turtle
> Skipperdee. Liza Minnelli has been cited as a possible role
> model for this character.

Madeleine

> * Game 3, Round 8 - Geography Down by the Riverside
>
> Before the arrival of railways, rivers were the world's
> superhighways. Given the names of two or three cities, identify
> the river where they are located.
>
> 1. Luxor, Aswan, Khartoum.

Nile

> 2. Shanghai, Yangzhou, Nanjing.

Yangtze

> 3. Kisangani, Brazzaville, Kinshasa.

Congo

> 4. Minneapolis, St. Louis, Memphis.

Mississippi

> 5. Bamako, Timbuktu, Niamey.

Niger

> 6. Bratislava, Vienna, Budapest.

Danube

> 7. Peshawar, Gilgit, Rawalpindi.

Indus

> 8. Astrakhan, Ulyanovsk, Kazan.

Ural

> 9. Grand Junction, Lake Havasu City, Yuma.

Colorado

> 10. Allahabad, Varanasi, Patna.

Ganges

--
Dan Tilque

Björn Lundin

Mar 27, 2015, 4:50:19 AM3/27/15
On 2015-03-26 12:08, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 3, Round 7 - Literature - You Go, Girl!
>
> Literature is full of feisty fictional females. We'll describe such
> a character; you name her.
>
> *Note*: On some questions you have to give the first and last name,
> but to avoid a mass of rot13 specifications, I won't tell you
> which ones; you should *always try to give both names if you can*.
> If only one name is required and you give the other one wrongly,
> it won't be scored against you. For example, if the answer was
> "Lois Lane", you said "Lois Street", and I only required the first
> name, that would be correct. In one case a description based on
> the work's title is also acceptable.
>

> 5. This girl is saved from a mountain troll in the girls' bathroom
> of her new school by two boys who become her close friends.
> She is a logical overachiever who excels academically, but is
> also bossy and show-offy. When she grows up, she marries one
> of the boys from the bathroom.

Hermione Granger

> 9. This young woman, a student at the FBI academy, hopes to work
> at the Behavioral Science Unit, tracking down serial killers.
> Her mentor sends her to Baltimore to interview an incarcerated
> killer who grows to respect her strength and intelligence.
> Her policeman father was shot when she was a child and she was
> sent to live on an uncle's farm.

Clarice Starling

> * Game 3, Round 8 - Geography Down by the Riverside
>
> Before the arrival of railways, rivers were the world's
> superhighways. Given the names of two or three cities, identify
> the river where they are located.
>
> 1. Luxor, Aswan, Khartoum.
The Nile

> 2. Shanghai, Yangzhou, Nanjing.
Yangtzee-kiang

> 3. Kisangani, Brazzaville, Kinshasa.
> 4. Minneapolis, St. Louis, Memphis.
Mississppi
> 5. Bamako, Timbuktu, Niamey.
> 6. Bratislava, Vienna, Budapest.
The Donau

> 7. Peshawar, Gilgit, Rawalpindi.
> 8. Astrakhan, Ulyanovsk, Kazan.
Ob
> 9. Grand Junction, Lake Havasu City, Yuma.
> 10. Allahabad, Varanasi, Patna.
Indus

Björn

Erland Sommarskog

Mar 27, 2015, 6:04:55 PM3/27/15
Björn Lundin (b.f.l...@gmail.com) writes:
>> 6. Bratislava, Vienna, Budapest.
>
> The Donau

Hm, wonder if Mark has a penalty for mixing languages in a single response.
:-)

Mark Brader

Mar 27, 2015, 6:13:13 PM3/27/15
Erland Sommarskog:
> Hm, wonder if Mark has a penalty for mixing languages in a single response.

You get a Gift. :-)
--
Mark Brader "The [promotional] website is more cleverly
Toronto thought out than the movie itself."

Björn Lundin

Mar 28, 2015, 8:10:11 AM3/28/15
On 2015-03-27 23:04, Erland Sommarskog wrote:
> Björn Lundin (b.f.l...@gmail.com) writes:
>>> 6. Bratislava, Vienna, Budapest.
>>
>> The Donau
>
> Hm, wonder if Mark has a penalty for mixing languages in a single response.
> :-)

Typing before thinking again. Donau came straight to my mind.
And having written The Nile, The Donau was easy - instead of Danube

--
Björn

Björn Lundin

Mar 28, 2015, 8:11:30 AM3/28/15
On 2015-03-27 23:13, Mark Brader wrote:
> Erland Sommarskog:
>> Hm, wonder if Mark has a penalty for mixing languages in a single response.
>
> You get a Gift. :-)

Some extra points would be nice - giving my usual
place in the result tables ;-)

Björn

Erland Sommarskog

Mar 28, 2015, 8:41:17 AM3/28/15
Watch out! Mark never said in which language "Gift" was in - but the
capitalisation gives a hint.

Björn Lundin

Mar 28, 2015, 9:38:53 AM3/28/15
On 2015-03-28 13:41, Erland Sommarskog wrote:
> Björn Lundin (b.f.l...@gmail.com) writes:
>> On 2015-03-27 23:13, Mark Brader wrote:
>>> You get a Gift. :-)
>>>

>> Some extra points would be nice - giving my usual
>> place in the result tables ;-)
>
> Watch out! Mark never said in which language "Gift" was in - but the
> capitalisation gives a hint.

Yes, German I suppose ...

Björn

Mark Brader

Mar 29, 2015, 12:29:01 PM3/29/15
Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2015-01-26,
> see my 2015-02-23 companion posting on "Questions from the
> Canadian Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

> * Game 3, Round 7 - Literature - You Go, Girl!

> Literature is full of feisty fictional females. We'll describe such
> a character; you name her.

> *Note*: On some questions you have to give the first and last name,
> but to avoid a mass of rot13 specifications, I won't tell you
> which ones; you should *always try to give both names if you can*.
> If only one name is required and you give the other one wrongly,
> it won't be scored against you. For example, if the answer was
> "Lois Lane", you said "Lois Street", and I only required the first
> name, that would be correct. In one case a description based on
> the work's title is also acceptable.

> 1. It drives this girl crazy that she can't go and fight in the
> Civil War with her father. She is clumsy, blunt, opinionated,
> and unladylike. She loves literature and writes plays for her
> three sisters to perform. She hates the idea of marriage and
> romance because it might separate her from the sisters she loves,
> but eventually she marries an expatriate German.

Jo March ("Little Women"). 4 for Dan Blum, Stephen, and Joshua.

> 2. This character has dark hair, green eyes, and pale skin, and is
> famous for her fashionably small 17-inch waist. Outwardly she
> is the picture of charm and womanly virtues, but she proves
> to be tough as nails when war sweeps through her homeland.
> Despite having three husbands, she isn't a fan of marriage,
> and says: "Marriage, fun? Fun for men, you mean."

Scarlett O'Hara ("Gone with the Wind") 4 for Dan Blum, Marc,
Dan Tilque, Peter, Stephen, and Joshua.

> 3. This little girl lives with 11 other little girls in an old house
> in Paris that is covered in vines. Every morning they leave the
> house at half past nine, in two straight lines, in rain or shine.
> She is the smallest of the 12 little girls.

Madeline ("Madeline"). The first name was sufficient. I scored
"Madeleine" as almost correct, as it fails to rhyme with "vine" and
"line". 4 for Bruce. 3 for Dan Blum, Marc, and Joshua.

> 4. This little girl is a survivor. Saddled with an awful family,
> she makes the best of what she does have -- high intellegence
> and, oh yes, telekinetic powers. She has a close bond with her
> teacher Miss Honey but clashes with her horrible headmistress
> Miss Trunchbull. In the movie version, her parents were played
> by Danny De Vito and Rhea Perlman.

Matilda Wormwood ("Matilda"). The first name was sufficient.
4 for Dan Blum, Marc, Peter, Stephen, and Joshua.

> 5. This girl is saved from a mountain troll in the girls' bathroom
> of her new school by two boys who become her close friends.
> She is a logical overachiever who excels academically, but is
> also bossy and show-offy. When she grows up, she marries one
> of the boys from the bathroom.

Hermione Granger ("Harry Potter" series; marries Ron Weasley).
4 for Dan Blum, Peter, Stephen, Joshua, and Björn.

> 6. This girl was orphaned as an infant when her schoolteacher
> parents died of typhoid fever. She didn't have a permanent home
> until she was sent to a farm when she was eleven. She displays
> a quirky joy in life, gets drunk on homemade wine, attacks a
> classmate with her slate, and almost drowns in a re-enactment
> of Tennyson's Lancelot and Elaine. She loves puffed sleeves
> and hates her hair.

Anne Shirley (accepting "Anne of Green Gables"). The first name
was sufficient. 4 for Marc, Dan Tilque, Stephen (the hard way),
and Joshua.

> 7. This 6 year old tomboy with omnipresent overalls sees fighting
> as the solution to everything. Her real first names are Jean
> Louise, but everyone uses her nickname. Her closest companion is
> her older brother, and she and her friend Dill make half-hearted
> playful attempts to get engaged. She is horrified when she
> has to be a cured ham in her town's Halloween pageant.

Scout Finch ("To Kill a Mockingbird"). 4 for Dan Tilque, Joshua,
and Calvin.

> feisty side when she replies, "Do you think because I am
> poor, obscure, plain and little, I am soulless and heartless?
> You think wrong." Reader, she marries him.

Jane Eyre ("Jane Eyre"). 4 for Dan Blum, Marc, Stephen, Joshua,
and Calvin.

> 9. This young woman, a student at the FBI academy, hopes to work
> at the Behavioral Science Unit, tracking down serial killers.
> Her mentor sends her to Baltimore to interview an incarcerated
> killer who grows to respect her strength and intelligence.
> Her policeman father was shot when she was a child and she was
> sent to live on an uncle's farm.

Clarice Starling ("The Silence of the Lambs"). The last name was
sufficient. 4 for Bruce, Dan Blum, Marc, Peter, Stephen, Joshua,
Calvin, and Björn.

> 10. This little girl lives in a room on the tippy top floor of
> the Plaza Hotel with her Nanny, her pug Weenie, and her turtle
> Skipperdee. Liza Minnelli has been cited as a possible role
> model for this character.

Eloise ("Eloise"). The first name was sufficient. 4 for Dan Blum,
Marc, Stephen, and Joshua.

> * Game 3, Round 8 - Geography Down by the Riverside

> Before the arrival of railways, rivers were the world's
> superhighways. Given the names of two or three cities, identify
> the river where they are located.

> 1. Luxor, Aswan, Khartoum.

Nile. 4 for everyone -- Bruce, Dan Blum, Marc, Dan Tilque, Peter,
Erland, Stephen, Joshua, Calvin, and Björn.

> 2. Shanghai, Yangzhou, Nanjing.

Yangtze. I accepted the obsolete name Yangtze-Kiang. 4 for Marc,
Dan Tilque, Peter, Stephen, Joshua, and Björn. 3 for Dan Blum.
2 for Calvin.

> 3. Kisangani, Brazzaville, Kinshasa.

Congo. 4 for Bruce, Dan Blum, Marc, Dan Tilque, Peter, Erland,
Stephen, Joshua, and Calvin.

> 4. Minneapolis, St. Louis, Memphis.

Mississippi. 4 for everyone.

> 5. Bamako, Timbuktu, Niamey.

Niger. 4 for Bruce, Dan Tilque, Erland, Stephen, Joshua, and Calvin.

> 6. Bratislava, Vienna, Budapest.

Danube. 4 for Bruce, Dan Blum, Marc, Dan Tilque, Peter, Erland,
Stephen, Joshua, and Björn.

I accepted the German name "Donau", but please try to answer in
English in future unless requested otherwise.

> 7. Peshawar, Gilgit, Rawalpindi.

Indus. 4 for Dan Tilque, Erland, and Joshua. 2 for Dan Blum.

> 8. Astrakhan, Ulyanovsk, Kazan.

Volga. 4 for Bruce, Erland, Stephen, and Calvin.

> 9. Grand Junction, Lake Havasu City, Yuma.

Colorado. 4 for Bruce, Dan Blum, Marc, Dan Tilque, Peter, Stephen,
and Joshua.

> 10. Allahabad, Varanasi, Patna.

Ganges. 4 for Bruce, Marc, Dan Tilque, Peter, Erland, Stephen,
and Joshua. 2 for Dan Blum.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 3 ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 5 6 3 3 BEST
TOPICS-> Can Sci His Aud Spo Lit Geo FIVE
Stephen Perry 11 40 24 38 40 32 36 186
Joshua Kreitzer 4 28 3 40 32 39 36 175
Marc Dashevsky 4 32 4 16 40 27 28 143
Dan Blum 4 28 8 32 16 31 27 134
Peter Smyth 0 34 11 28 16 16 28 122
Dan Tilque 0 39 4 4 28 12 36 119
"Calvin" 0 30 15 20 31 12 22 118
Pete Gayde 0 16 16 8 40 -- -- 80
Bruce Bowler 0 36 -- -- -- 8 32 76
Erland Sommarskog 0 27 0 4 0 0 32 63
Björn Lundin 0 23 0 12 0 8 16 59

--
Mark Brader "You can do this in a number of ways.
Toronto IBM chose to do all of them...

Mark Brader

Mar 29, 2015, 12:31:06 PM3/29/15
Mark Brader wrote:
> > feisty side when she replies, "Do you think because I am
> > poor, obscure, plain and little, I am soulless and heartless?
> > You think wrong." Reader, she marries him.

Stephen Perry:
> jane eyre

Yep.

> (reader?)

A hint. The novel is in the first person and from time to time
explicitly addresses its reader. And the opening sentence of the
last chapter is: "Reader, I married him."
--
Mark Brader, Toronto "Well, I'm back", he said.
m...@vex.net -- Tolkien (The Lord of the Rings)