QFTCIMM16 Game 5, Rounds 2-3: private space, flag maps

Mark Brader

Jan 15, 2017, 6:51:31 PM1/15/17
These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2016-10-24,
and should be interpreted accordingly.

Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

All questions were written by members of the Misplaced Modifiers
and are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
see my 2016-11-26 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

* Game 5, Round 2 - Science - Private Space Ventures

NASA is going nowhere fast, so private corporations and individuals
are taking up the race to space.

1. British entrepreneur Richard Branson started what company
in 2004 to facilitate sub-orbital tourist flights and orbital
satellite launches?

2. This $10,000,000 prize was created in 1996 to encourage space
ventures. The winner would have to launch a reusable manned
ship into space twice within 2 weeks. Name the prize.

3. Name the designer of the ship that won the <answer 2> in 2004.
He is also the designer of Voyager, the first plane to fly
around the world without stopping or refueling. He retired
from his company, Scaled Composites, in 2011.

4. What was the name of the ship that <answer 3> used to win
the <answer 2>?

5. The major investor in <answer 3>'s winning project is also one
of the founders of Microsoft. He started Vulcan Aerospace in
2015 to plan and build reusable vehicles for space travel. Who?

6. Space Exploration Technologies Corporation, which launched
the first privately funded liquid-propellant rocket into space,
is the brainchild of another Silicon Valley billionaire.
Name him.

After completing the above questions, please decode the rot13
*for questions #7-9 only*.

7. Anzr rvgure gur erhfnoyr ynhapu iruvpyr be gur fcnprpensg
qrirybcrq ol Ryba Zhfx'f FcnprK.

8. Jung jnf hahfhny nobhg gur ynaqvat bs PEF-8, gur svefg-fgntr
ebpxrg ynhapurq guvf cnfg Ncevy ol FcnprK?

9. FcnprK vf abj jbexvat ba n ynetre-fpnyr cebwrpg, juvpu Zhfx
ubcrf gb npuvrir va gur arkg 30 lrnef. Jung vf gur bowrpg bs
gung raqrnibe?

*After* completing the above questions, please decode the remaining
rot13: Vs lbhe nafjre gb gur ynfg dhrfgvba jnf geniry gb Znef,
tb onpx naq znxr vg zber fcrpvsvp.

10. Zber guna 100,000 crbcyr unir nccyvrq gb Znef Bar, nabgure
cebcbfrq zvffvba gb gur erq cynarg, qrfcvgr bar gur zbfg abgnoyr
qenjonpx gb gur cyna. Jung qenjonpx?

* Game 5, Round 3 - Geography - Carto-Vexillology or Vexillo-Cartography?

It's not flags. It's not maps. It's both. It's time for
flag-maps!! Or maybe map-flags!!

As you'll see at

http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/5-3/flag/maps.png

, each image shows an outline map of a country, and the land
area is filled by as much as possible of the flag of that country.
All maps are oriented normally, with north at the top. But they're
definitely not all to the same scale.

I have rearranged the round in order by map letter. There were
12 decoys, which are now interspersed with the others. Answer them
if you like for fun, but for no points.

1. A (decoy)
2. B (decoy)
3. C (decoy)
4. D (decoy)
5. E. Name it.
6. F. Name it.
7. G (decoy)
8. H. Name it.
9. I (decoy)
10. J. Name it.
11. K (decoy)
12. L. Name it.
13. M (decoy)
14. N (decoy)
15. O (decoy)
16. P (decoy)
17. Q. Name it.
18. R. Name it.
19. S. Name it.
20. T. Name it.
21. U (decoy)
22. V. Name it.

--
Mark Brader | "The dream of a common standard is er... enhanced
Toronto | by the diversity of a myriad of national rules..."

Dan Blum

Jan 15, 2017, 7:40:02 PM1/15/17
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 5, Round 2 - Science - Private Space Ventures

> 1. British entrepreneur Richard Branson started what company
> in 2004 to facilitate sub-orbital tourist flights and orbital
> satellite launches?

Virgin Galactic

> 5. The major investor in <answer 3>'s winning project is also one
> of the founders of Microsoft. He started Vulcan Aerospace in
> 2015 to plan and build reusable vehicles for space travel. Who?

Paul Allen

> * Game 5, Round 3 - Geography - Carto-Vexillology or Vexillo-Cartography?

> 5. E. Name it.

Cyprus

> 6. F. Name it.

Morocco

> 8. H. Name it.

Mongolia

> 10. J. Name it.

South Africa

> 12. L. Name it.

Vatican City

> 17. Q. Name it.

Sao Tome & Principe

> 18. R. Name it.

Sweden

> 19. S. Name it.

Timor l'Este

> 20. T. Name it.

Chile

> 22. V. Name it.

Thailand

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Calvin

Jan 15, 2017, 7:59:01 PM1/15/17
On Monday, January 16, 2017 at 9:51:31 AM UTC+10, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 5, Round 2 - Science - Private Space Ventures

Pass

> * Game 5, Round 3 - Geography - Carto-Vexillology or Vexillo-Cartography?
>
> It's not flags. It's not maps. It's both. It's time for
> flag-maps!! Or maybe map-flags!!
>
> As you'll see at
>
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/5-3/flag/maps.png
>
> , each image shows an outline map of a country, and the land
> area is filled by as much as possible of the flag of that country.
> All maps are oriented normally, with north at the top. But they're
> definitely not all to the same scale.
>
> I have rearranged the round in order by map letter. There were
> 12 decoys, which are now interspersed with the others. Answer them
> if you like for fun, but for no points.
>
> 1. A (decoy)

Dominican republic

> 2. B (decoy)

Barbados

> 3. C (decoy)

Sri Lanka

> 4. D (decoy)

Angola

> 5. E. Name it.

Cyprus

> 6. F. Name it.

Morocco

> 7. G (decoy)

Ghana

> 8. H. Name it.

Mongolia

> 9. I (decoy)

Kazakhstan

> 10. J. Name it.

South Africa

> 11. K (decoy)

Ethiopia

> 12. L. Name it.

Vatican City

> 13. M (decoy)

Libya

> 14. N (decoy)

Iran

> 15. O (decoy)

Venezuela, Colombia

> 16. P (decoy)

Eritrea

> 17. Q. Name it.

Malaysia

> 18. R. Name it.

Finland

> 19. S. Name it.

Panama, Costa Rica

> 20. T. Name it.

Chile

> 21. U (decoy)

Greece

> 22. V. Name it.

Thailand

cheers,
calvin

Dan Tilque

Jan 15, 2017, 8:21:48 PM1/15/17
Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 5, Round 2 - Science - Private Space Ventures
>
> NASA is going nowhere fast, so private corporations and individuals
> are taking up the race to space.
>
> 1. British entrepreneur Richard Branson started what company
> in 2004 to facilitate sub-orbital tourist flights and orbital
> satellite launches?

Virgin Galactic

> 2. This $10,000,000 prize was created in 1996 to encourage space
> ventures. The winner would have to launch a reusable manned
> ship into space twice within 2 weeks. Name the prize.

X Prize

> 3. Name the designer of the ship that won the <answer 2> in 2004.
> He is also the designer of Voyager, the first plane to fly
> around the world without stopping or refueling. He retired
> from his company, Scaled Composites, in 2011.
>
> 4. What was the name of the ship that <answer 3> used to win
> the <answer 2>?
>
> 5. The major investor in <answer 3>'s winning project is also one
> of the founders of Microsoft. He started Vulcan Aerospace in
> 2015 to plan and build reusable vehicles for space travel. Who?

Paul Allen

> 6. Space Exploration Technologies Corporation, which launched
> the first privately funded liquid-propellant rocket into space,
> is the brainchild of another Silicon Valley billionaire.
> Name him.

Elon Musk

> After completing the above questions, please decode the rot13
> *for questions #7-9 only*.
>
> 7. Anzr rvgure gur erhfnoyr ynhapu iruvpyr be gur fcnprpensg
> qrirybcrq ol Ryba Zhfx'f FcnprK.

Falcon

> 8. Jung jnf hahfhny nobhg gur ynaqvat bs PEF-8, gur svefg-fgntr
> ebpxrg ynhapurq guvf cnfg Ncevy ol FcnprK?

it was on a barge

> 9. FcnprK vf abj jbexvat ba n ynetre-fpnyr cebwrpg, juvpu Zhfx
> ubcrf gb npuvrir va gur arkg 30 lrnef. Jung vf gur bowrpg bs
> gung raqrnibe?

Mars colony

> *After* completing the above questions, please decode the remaining
> rot13: Vs lbhe nafjre gb gur ynfg dhrfgvba jnf geniry gb Znef,
> tb onpx naq znxr vg zber fcrpvsvp.
>
> 10. Zber guna 100,000 crbcyr unir nccyvrq gb Znef Bar, nabgure
> cebcbfrq zvffvba gb gur erq cynarg, qrfcvgr bar gur zbfg abgnoyr
> qenjonpx gb gur cyna. Jung qenjonpx?

there will be no returning

> * Game 5, Round 3 - Geography - Carto-Vexillology or Vexillo-Cartography?
>
> It's not flags. It's not maps. It's both. It's time for
> flag-maps!! Or maybe map-flags!!
>
> As you'll see at
>
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/5-3/flag/maps.png
>
> , each image shows an outline map of a country, and the land
> area is filled by as much as possible of the flag of that country.
> All maps are oriented normally, with north at the top. But they're
> definitely not all to the same scale.
>
> I have rearranged the round in order by map letter. There were
> 12 decoys, which are now interspersed with the others. Answer them
> if you like for fun, but for no points.
>
> 1. A (decoy)
> 2. B (decoy)

Bahamas

> 3. C (decoy)

Sri Lanka

> 4. D (decoy)
> 5. E. Name it.

Cyprus

> 6. F. Name it.

Morocco

> 7. G (decoy)

Ghana ?

> 8. H. Name it.

Mongolia

> 9. I (decoy)

Kazakhstan

> 10. J. Name it.

South Africa

> 11. K (decoy)

Zambia ?

> 12. L. Name it.

Vatican City

> 13. M (decoy)

Libya

> 14. N (decoy)

Iran

> 15. O (decoy)

Venezuela

> 16. P (decoy)

Somalia

> 17. Q. Name it.

Malaysia

> 18. R. Name it.

Finland

> 19. S. Name it.

Panama

> 20. T. Name it.

Chile

> 21. U (decoy)

Greece

> 22. V. Name it.

Thailand

--
Dan Tilque

Erland Sommarskog

Jan 15, 2017, 9:12:25 PM1/15/17
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> 1. British entrepreneur Richard Branson started what company
> in 2004 to facilitate sub-orbital tourist flights and orbital
> satellite launches?

Virgin Space

> 5. The major investor in <answer 3>'s winning project is also one
> of the founders of Microsoft. He started Vulcan Aerospace in
> 2015 to plan and build reusable vehicles for space travel. Who?

Paul Alln

> 6. Space Exploration Technologies Corporation, which launched
> the first privately funded liquid-propellant rocket into space,
> is the brainchild of another Silicon Valley billionaire.
> Name him.

Elon Musk

> * Game 5, Round 3 - Geography - Carto-Vexillology or Vexillo-Cartography?
> 3. C (decoy)

Sri Lanka

> 4. D (decoy)

Angola

> 5. E. Name it.

Cyprus

> 6. F. Name it.

Morrocc

> 7. G (decoy)

Ghana

> 8. H. Name it.

Bhutan

> 9. I (decoy)

Kazakhstan

> 10. J. Name it.

South Afriva

> 12. L. Name it.

Holy See

> 13. M (decoy)

Algeria

> 15. O (decoy)

Colombia

> 16. P (decoy)

Somalia

> 17. Q. Name it.

Malaysia

> 18. R. Name it.

Finland

> 19. S. Name it.

Panamá

> 20. T. Name it.

Chile. You can find me almost at the bottom, but not really.

Joshua Kreitzer

Jan 16, 2017, 2:15:17 AM1/16/17
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in

> * Game 5, Round 2 - Science - Private Space Ventures
>
> NASA is going nowhere fast, so private corporations and individuals
> are taking up the race to space.
>
> 1. British entrepreneur Richard Branson started what company
> in 2004 to facilitate sub-orbital tourist flights and orbital
> satellite launches?

Virgin Galactic

> 2. This $10,000,000 prize was created in 1996 to encourage space
> ventures. The winner would have to launch a reusable manned
> ship into space twice within 2 weeks. Name the prize.

X Prize

> 3. Name the designer of the ship that won the <answer 2> in 2004.
> He is also the designer of Voyager, the first plane to fly
> around the world without stopping or refueling. He retired
> from his company, Scaled Composites, in 2011.

Fossett

> 5. The major investor in <answer 3>'s winning project is also one
> of the founders of Microsoft. He started Vulcan Aerospace in
> 2015 to plan and build reusable vehicles for space travel. Who?

Paul Allen

> 6. Space Exploration Technologies Corporation, which launched
> the first privately funded liquid-propellant rocket into space,
> is the brainchild of another Silicon Valley billionaire.
> Name him.

Elon Musk

> After completing the above questions, please decode the rot13
> *for questions #7-9 only*.
>
> 9. FcnprK vf abj jbexvat ba n ynetre-fpnyr cebwrpg, juvpu Zhfx
> ubcrf gb npuvrir va gur arkg 30 lrnef. Jung vf gur bowrpg bs
> gung raqrnibe?

a permanent moon base

> *After* completing the above questions, please decode the remaining
> rot13: Vs lbhe nafjre gb gur ynfg dhrfgvba jnf geniry gb Znef,
> tb onpx naq znxr vg zber fcrpvsvp.
>
> 10. Zber guna 100,000 crbcyr unir nccyvrq gb Znef Bar, nabgure
> cebcbfrq zvffvba gb gur erq cynarg, qrfcvgr bar gur zbfg abgnoyr
> qenjonpx gb gur cyna. Jung qenjonpx?

participants are not expected to ever return to Earth

> * Game 5, Round 3 - Geography - Carto-Vexillology or
> Vexillo-Cartography?
>
> As you'll see at
>
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/5-3/flag/maps.png
>
> , each image shows an outline map of a country, and the land
> area is filled by as much as possible of the flag of that country.
>
> 1. A (decoy)

Belize

> 2. B (decoy)

Barbados

> 3. C (decoy)

Sri Lanka

> 4. D (decoy)

Angola

> 5. E. Name it.

Cyprus

> 6. F. Name it.

Morocco

> 7. G (decoy)

Ghana

> 8. H. Name it.

Mongolia

> 9. I (decoy)

Kazakhstan

> 10. J. Name it.

South Africa

> 11. K (decoy)

Ethiopia

> 12. L. Name it.

Vatican City

> 13. M (decoy)

Libya

> 14. N (decoy)

Iran

> 15. O (decoy)

Venezuela

> 16. P (decoy)

Somalia

> 17. Q. Name it.

Malaysia

> 18. R. Name it.

Finland

> 19. S. Name it.

Panama

> 20. T. Name it.

Chile

> 21. U (decoy)

Greece

> 22. V. Name it.

Thailand

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

Marc Dashevsky

Jan 16, 2017, 3:34:11 AM1/16/17
In article <ZeednYLFuMlgl-HF...@giganews.com>, m...@vex.net says...
> * Game 5, Round 2 - Science - Private Space Ventures
>
> NASA is going nowhere fast, so private corporations and individuals
> are taking up the race to space.
>
> 1. British entrepreneur Richard Branson started what company
> in 2004 to facilitate sub-orbital tourist flights and orbital
> satellite launches?
Virgin Galactic

> 2. This $10,000,000 prize was created in 1996 to encourage space
> ventures. The winner would have to launch a reusable manned
> ship into space twice within 2 weeks. Name the prize.
>
> 3. Name the designer of the ship that won the <answer 2> in 2004.
> He is also the designer of Voyager, the first plane to fly
> around the world without stopping or refueling. He retired
> from his company, Scaled Composites, in 2011.
>
> 4. What was the name of the ship that <answer 3> used to win
> the <answer 2>?
>
> 5. The major investor in <answer 3>'s winning project is also one
> of the founders of Microsoft. He started Vulcan Aerospace in
> 2015 to plan and build reusable vehicles for space travel. Who?
Paul Allen

> 6. Space Exploration Technologies Corporation, which launched
> the first privately funded liquid-propellant rocket into space,
> is the brainchild of another Silicon Valley billionaire.
> Name him.
Elon Musk

> After completing the above questions, please decode the rot13
> *for questions #7-9 only*.
>
> 7. Anzr rvgure gur erhfnoyr ynhapu iruvpyr be gur fcnprpensg
> qrirybcrq ol Ryba Zhfx'f FcnprK.
>
> 8. Jung jnf hahfhny nobhg gur ynaqvat bs PEF-8, gur svefg-fgntr
> ebpxrg ynhapurq guvf cnfg Ncevy ol FcnprK?
>
> 9. FcnprK vf abj jbexvat ba n ynetre-fpnyr cebwrpg, juvpu Zhfx
> ubcrf gb npuvrir va gur arkg 30 lrnef. Jung vf gur bowrpg bs
> gung raqrnibe?
>
> *After* completing the above questions, please decode the remaining
> rot13: Vs lbhe nafjre gb gur ynfg dhrfgvba jnf geniry gb Znef,
> tb onpx naq znxr vg zber fcrpvsvp.
>
> 10. Zber guna 100,000 crbcyr unir nccyvrq gb Znef Bar, nabgure
> cebcbfrq zvffvba gb gur erq cynarg, qrfcvgr bar gur zbfg abgnoyr
> qenjonpx gb gur cyna. Jung qenjonpx?
one-way ticket

> * Game 5, Round 3 - Geography - Carto-Vexillology or Vexillo-Cartography?
>
> It's not flags. It's not maps. It's both. It's time for
> flag-maps!! Or maybe map-flags!!
>
> As you'll see at
>
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/5-3/flag/maps.png
>
> , each image shows an outline map of a country, and the land
> area is filled by as much as possible of the flag of that country.
> All maps are oriented normally, with north at the top. But they're
> definitely not all to the same scale.
>
> I have rearranged the round in order by map letter. There were
> 12 decoys, which are now interspersed with the others. Answer them
> if you like for fun, but for no points.
>
> 1. A (decoy)
> 2. B (decoy)
> 3. C (decoy)
> 4. D (decoy)
> 5. E. Name it.
Cyprus

> 6. F. Name it.
Morocco

> 7. G (decoy)
> 8. H. Name it.
Tibet

> 9. I (decoy)
> 10. J. Name it.
South Africa

> 11. K (decoy)
> 12. L. Name it.
Vatican City

> 13. M (decoy)
> 14. N (decoy)
> 15. O (decoy)
> 16. P (decoy)
> 17. Q. Name it.
Malaysia

> 18. R. Name it.
Finland

> 19. S. Name it.
Panama

> 20. T. Name it.
Chile

> 21. U (decoy)
> 22. V. Name it.
Thailand

Pete

Jan 16, 2017, 2:14:02 PM1/16/17
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:ZeednYLFuMlgl-HFnZ2dnUU7-
fnN...@giganews.com:

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2016-10-24,

> Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of the Misplaced Modifiers
> and are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
> have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
> see my 2016-11-26 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 5, Round 2 - Science - Private Space Ventures
>
> NASA is going nowhere fast, so private corporations and individuals
> are taking up the race to space.
>
> 1. British entrepreneur Richard Branson started what company
> in 2004 to facilitate sub-orbital tourist flights and orbital
> satellite launches?

Virgin Galactic

> 2. This $10,000,000 prize was created in 1996 to encourage space
> ventures. The winner would have to launch a reusable manned
> ship into space twice within 2 weeks. Name the prize.
>
> 3. Name the designer of the ship that won the <answer 2> in 2004.
> He is also the designer of Voyager, the first plane to fly
> around the world without stopping or refueling. He retired
> from his company, Scaled Composites, in 2011.
>
> 4. What was the name of the ship that <answer 3> used to win
> the <answer 2>?
>
> 5. The major investor in <answer 3>'s winning project is also one
> of the founders of Microsoft. He started Vulcan Aerospace in
> 2015 to plan and build reusable vehicles for space travel. Who?

Balmer

> 6. Space Exploration Technologies Corporation, which launched
> the first privately funded liquid-propellant rocket into space,
> is the brainchild of another Silicon Valley billionaire.
> Name him.

Bezos

> After completing the above questions, please decode the rot13
> *for questions #7-9 only*.
>
> 7. Anzr rvgure gur erhfnoyr ynhapu iruvpyr be gur fcnprpensg
> qrirybcrq ol Ryba Zhfx'f FcnprK.
>
> 8. Jung jnf hahfhny nobhg gur ynaqvat bs PEF-8, gur svefg-fgntr
> ebpxrg ynhapurq guvf cnfg Ncevy ol FcnprK?
>
> 9. FcnprK vf abj jbexvat ba n ynetre-fpnyr cebwrpg, juvpu Zhfx
> ubcrf gb npuvrir va gur arkg 30 lrnef. Jung vf gur bowrpg bs
> gung raqrnibe?

Travel to Mars without returning

> *After* completing the above questions, please decode the remaining
> rot13: Vs lbhe nafjre gb gur ynfg dhrfgvba jnf geniry gb Znef,
> tb onpx naq znxr vg zber fcrpvsvp.
>
> 10. Zber guna 100,000 crbcyr unir nccyvrq gb Znef Bar, nabgure
> cebcbfrq zvffvba gb gur erq cynarg, qrfcvgr bar gur zbfg abgnoyr
> qenjonpx gb gur cyna. Jung qenjonpx?

No return

> * Game 5, Round 3 - Geography - Carto-Vexillology or Vexillo-
Cartography?

> It's not flags. It's not maps. It's both. It's time for
> flag-maps!! Or maybe map-flags!!
>
> As you'll see at
>
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/5-3/flag/maps.png
>
> , each image shows an outline map of a country, and the land
> area is filled by as much as possible of the flag of that country.
> All maps are oriented normally, with north at the top. But they're
> definitely not all to the same scale.
>
> I have rearranged the round in order by map letter. There were
> 12 decoys, which are now interspersed with the others. Answer them
> if you like for fun, but for no points.
>
> 1. A (decoy)

Comoros

> 2. B (decoy)

Malta

> 3. C (decoy)

Sri Lanka

> 4. D (decoy)

Angola

> 5. E. Name it.

Cyprus

> 6. F. Name it.

Morocco

> 7. G (decoy)

Ghana

> 8. H. Name it.

Hungary

> 9. I (decoy)

Kazakhstan

> 10. J. Name it.

South Africa

> 11. K (decoy)

Armenia

> 12. L. Name it.

Vatican City

> 13. M (decoy)

Algeria

> 14. N (decoy)

Iran

> 15. O (decoy)

Venezuela

> 16. P (decoy)

Somalia

> 17. Q. Name it.

Sao Tome e Principe

> 18. R. Name it.

Finland

> 19. S. Name it.

Panama

> 20. T. Name it.

Chile

> 21. U (decoy)

Greece

> 22. V. Name it.

Thailand

Pete Gayde

Don Piven

Jan 16, 2017, 2:22:07 PM1/16/17
On 1/15/17 17:51, Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2016-10-24,

> Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of the Misplaced Modifiers
> and are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
> have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
> see my 2016-11-26 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 5, Round 2 - Science - Private Space Ventures
>
> NASA is going nowhere fast, so private corporations and individuals
> are taking up the race to space.
>
> 1. British entrepreneur Richard Branson started what company
> in 2004 to facilitate sub-orbital tourist flights and orbital
> satellite launches?

Virgin Galactic

> 2. This $10,000,000 prize was created in 1996 to encourage space
> ventures. The winner would have to launch a reusable manned
> ship into space twice within 2 weeks. Name the prize.

X Prize

> 3. Name the designer of the ship that won the <answer 2> in 2004.
> He is also the designer of Voyager, the first plane to fly
> around the world without stopping or refueling. He retired
> from his company, Scaled Composites, in 2011.

Burt Rutan

> 4. What was the name of the ship that <answer 3> used to win
> the <answer 2>?

X1

> 5. The major investor in <answer 3>'s winning project is also one
> of the founders of Microsoft. He started Vulcan Aerospace in
> 2015 to plan and build reusable vehicles for space travel. Who?

Paul Allen

> 6. Space Exploration Technologies Corporation, which launched
> the first privately funded liquid-propellant rocket into space,
> is the brainchild of another Silicon Valley billionaire.
> Name him.

Elon Musk

> After completing the above questions, please decode the rot13
> *for questions #7-9 only*.
>
> 7. Anzr rvgure gur erhfnoyr ynhapu iruvpyr be gur fcnprpensg
> qrirybcrq ol Ryba Zhfx'f FcnprK.

Falcon

> 8. Jung jnf hahfhny nobhg gur ynaqvat bs PEF-8, gur svefg-fgntr
> ebpxrg ynhapurq guvf cnfg Ncevy ol FcnprK?

It landed on a floating barge

> 9. FcnprK vf abj jbexvat ba n ynetre-fpnyr cebwrpg, juvpu Zhfx
> ubcrf gb npuvrir va gur arkg 30 lrnef. Jung vf gur bowrpg bs
> gung raqrnibe?

Manned Mars mission

> *After* completing the above questions, please decode the remaining
> rot13: Vs lbhe nafjre gb gur ynfg dhrfgvba jnf geniry gb Znef,
> tb onpx naq znxr vg zber fcrpvsvp.
>
> 10. Zber guna 100,000 crbcyr unir nccyvrq gb Znef Bar, nabgure
> cebcbfrq zvffvba gb gur erq cynarg, qrfcvgr bar gur zbfg abgnoyr
> qenjonpx gb gur cyna. Jung qenjonpx?

It's a one-way mission.

> * Game 5, Round 3 - Geography - Carto-Vexillology or Vexillo-Cartography?
>
> It's not flags. It's not maps. It's both. It's time for
> flag-maps!! Or maybe map-flags!!
>
> As you'll see at
>
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/5-3/flag/maps.png
>
> , each image shows an outline map of a country, and the land
> area is filled by as much as possible of the flag of that country.
> All maps are oriented normally, with north at the top. But they're
> definitely not all to the same scale.
>
> I have rearranged the round in order by map letter. There were
> 12 decoys, which are now interspersed with the others. Answer them
> if you like for fun, but for no points.
>
> 1. A (decoy)

Belize

> 2. B (decoy)

Barbados

> 3. C (decoy)

> 4. D (decoy)

Angola

> 5. E. Name it.

Cyprus

> 6. F. Name it.

Morocco

> 7. G (decoy)

Ghana

> 8. H. Name it.

Mongolia

> 9. I (decoy)

Kazakhstan

> 10. J. Name it.

South Africa

> 11. K (decoy)

> 12. L. Name it.

Vatican City State

> 13. M (decoy)

Libya

> 14. N (decoy)

Iran

> 15. O (decoy)

Venezuela

> 16. P (decoy)

Somalia

> 17. Q. Name it.

Malaysia

Peter Smyth

Jan 16, 2017, 6:58:11 PM1/16/17
Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 5, Round 2 - Science - Private Space Ventures
>
> NASA is going nowhere fast, so private corporations and individuals
> are taking up the race to space.
>
> 1. British entrepreneur Richard Branson started what company
> in 2004 to facilitate sub-orbital tourist flights and orbital
> satellite launches?
Virgin Galactic
> 2. This $10,000,000 prize was created in 1996 to encourage space
> ventures. The winner would have to launch a reusable manned
> ship into space twice within 2 weeks. Name the prize.
>
> 3. Name the designer of the ship that won the <answer 2> in 2004.
> He is also the designer of Voyager, the first plane to fly
> around the world without stopping or refueling. He retired
> from his company, Scaled Composites, in 2011.
Musk
> 4. What was the name of the ship that <answer 3> used to win
> the <answer 2>?
>
> 5. The major investor in <answer 3>'s winning project is also one
> of the founders of Microsoft. He started Vulcan Aerospace in
> 2015 to plan and build reusable vehicles for space travel. Who?
Allen
> 6. Space Exploration Technologies Corporation, which launched
> the first privately funded liquid-propellant rocket into space,
> is the brainchild of another Silicon Valley billionaire.
> Name him.
Musk
> After completing the above questions, please decode the rot13
> *for questions #7-9 only*.
>
> 7. Name either the reusable launch vehicle or the spacecraft
> developed by Elon Musk's SpaceX.
>
> 8. What was unusual about the landing of CRS-8, the first-stage
> rocket launched this past April by SpaceX?
>
> 9. SpaceX is now working on a larger-scale project, which Musk
> hopes to achieve in the next 30 years. What is the object of
> that endeavor?
Building a colony on Mars
> After completing the above questions, please decode the remaining
> rot13: If your answer to the last question was travel to Mars,
>
> 10. More than 100,000 people have applied to Mars One, another
> proposed mission to the red planet, despite one the most notable
> drawback to the plan. What drawback?
It would be a one-way trip

> * Game 5, Round 3 - Geography - Carto-Vexillology or
> Vexillo-Cartography?
>
> It's not flags. It's not maps. It's both. It's time for
> flag-maps!! Or maybe map-flags!!
>
> As you'll see at
>
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/5-3/flag/maps.png
>
> , each image shows an outline map of a country, and the land
> area is filled by as much as possible of the flag of that country.
> All maps are oriented normally, with north at the top. But they're
> definitely not all to the same scale.
>
> I have rearranged the round in order by map letter. There were
> 12 decoys, which are now interspersed with the others. Answer them
> if you like for fun, but for no points.
>
> 1. A (decoy)
> 2. B (decoy)
Barbados
> 3. C (decoy)
Sri Lanka
> 4. D (decoy)
Angola
> 5. E. Name it.
Cyprus
> 6. F. Name it.
Morocco
> 7. G (decoy)
Ghana
> 8. H. Name it.
Mongolia
> 9. I (decoy)
Kazakhstan
> 10. J. Name it.
South Africa
> 11. K (decoy)
Swaziland
> 12. L. Name it.
Vatican City
> 13. M (decoy)
Libya
> 14. N (decoy)
Iran
> 15. O (decoy)
Colombia
> 16. P (decoy)
Somalia
> 17. Q. Name it.
Malaysia
> 18. R. Name it.
Finland
> 19. S. Name it.
Panama
> 20. T. Name it.
Chile
> 21. U (decoy)
Greece
> 22. V. Name it.
Thailand

Peter Smyth

bbowler

Jan 17, 2017, 10:48:46 AM1/17/17
On Sun, 15 Jan 2017 17:51:25 -0600, Mark Brader wrote:

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2016-10-24,
> and should be interpreted accordingly.
>
> On each question you may give up to two answers, but if you give both a
> right answer and a wrong answer, there is a small penalty.
> Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
> based only on your own knowledge. (In your answer posting, quote the
> questions and place your answer below each one.) I will reveal the
> correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of the Misplaced Modifiers and are
> used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have been
> retyped and/or edited by me. For further information see my 2016-11-26
> companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 5, Round 2 - Science - Private Space Ventures
>
> NASA is going nowhere fast, so private corporations and individuals are
> taking up the race to space.
>
> 1. British entrepreneur Richard Branson started what company
> in 2004 to facilitate sub-orbital tourist flights and orbital
> satellite launches?

Virgin Galactic

> 2. This $10,000,000 prize was created in 1996 to encourage space
> ventures. The winner would have to launch a reusable manned ship
> into space twice within 2 weeks. Name the prize.

X-prize

> 3. Name the designer of the ship that won the <answer 2> in 2004.
> He is also the designer of Voyager, the first plane to fly around the
> world without stopping or refueling. He retired from his company,
> Scaled Composites, in 2011.

Burt Rutan

> 4. What was the name of the ship that <answer 3> used to win
> the <answer 2>?

Spaceship 1

> 5. The major investor in <answer 3>'s winning project is also one
> of the founders of Microsoft. He started Vulcan Aerospace in 2015 to
> plan and build reusable vehicles for space travel. Who?

Paul Allan

> 6. Space Exploration Technologies Corporation, which launched
> the first privately funded liquid-propellant rocket into space, is
> the brainchild of another Silicon Valley billionaire.
> Name him.

Elon Musk

> After completing the above questions, please decode the rot13 *for
> questions #7-9 only*.
>
> 7. Name either the reusable launch vehicle or the spacecraft
> developed by Elon Musk's SpaceX.

Falcon 9

> 8. What was unusual about the landing of CRS-8, the first-stage
> rocket launched this past April by SpaceX?

Landed on a barge

> 9. SpaceX is now working on a larger-scale project, which Musk
> hopes to achieve in the next 30 years. What is the object of that
> endeavor?

Putting Man on Mars

> *Nsgre* pbzcyrgvat gur nobir dhrfgvbaf, cyrnfr qrpbqr gur erznvavat
> ebg13: If your answer to the last question was travel to Mars,
>
> 10. More than 100,000 people have applied to Mars One, another
> proposed mission to the red planet, despite one the most notable
> drawback to the plan. What drawback?

If you go, you're not coming back.

> * Game 5, Round 3 - Geography - Carto-Vexillology or
> Vexillo-Cartography?
>
> It's not flags. It's not maps. It's both. It's time for flag-maps!!
> Or maybe map-flags!!
>
> As you'll see at
>
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/5-3/flag/maps.png
>
> , each image shows an outline map of a country, and the land area is
> filled by as much as possible of the flag of that country.
> All maps are oriented normally, with north at the top. But they're
> definitely not all to the same scale.
>
> I have rearranged the round in order by map letter. There were 12
> decoys, which are now interspersed with the others. Answer them if you
> like for fun, but for no points.
>
> 1. A (decoy)
> 2. B (decoy)
> 3. C (decoy)
> 4. D (decoy)
> 5. E. Name it.

Cyprus

> 6. F. Name it.

Morocco

> 7. G (decoy)
> 8. H. Name it.

Mongolia

> 9. I (decoy)
> 10. J. Name it.

South Africa

> 11. K (decoy)
> 12. L. Name it.

Vatican City

> 13. M (decoy)
> 14. N (decoy)
> 15. O (decoy)
> 16. P (decoy)

Somalia

> 17. Q. Name it.
> 18. R. Name it.

Finland

> 19. S. Name it.
> 20. T. Name it.

Mark Brader

Jan 19, 2017, 12:37:38 AM1/19/17
Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2016-10-24,
> see my 2016-11-26 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

> * Game 5, Round 2 - Science - Private Space Ventures

> NASA is going nowhere fast, so private corporations and individuals
> are taking up the race to space.

> 1. British entrepreneur Richard Branson started what company
> in 2004 to facilitate sub-orbital tourist flights and orbital
> satellite launches?

Virgin Galactic. 4 for Dan Blum, Dan Tilque, Joshua, Marc, Pete,
Don, Peter, and Bruce.

> 2. This $10,000,000 prize was created in 1996 to encourage space
> ventures. The winner would have to launch a reusable manned
> ship into space twice within 2 weeks. Name the prize.

(Ansari) X Prize. 4 for Dan Tilque, Joshua, Don, and Bruce.

> 3. Name the designer of the ship that won the <answer 2> in 2004.
> He is also the designer of Voyager, the first plane to fly
> around the world without stopping or refueling. He retired
> from his company, Scaled Composites, in 2011.

Bert Rutan. 4 for Don and Bruce.

> 4. What was the name of the ship that <answer 3> used to win
> the <answer 2>?

SpaceShipOne. 4 for Bruce.

> 5. The major investor in <answer 3>'s winning project is also one
> of the founders of Microsoft. He started Vulcan Aerospace in
> 2015 to plan and build reusable vehicles for space travel. Who?

Paul Allen. 4 for Dan Blum, Dan Tilque, Erland, Joshua, Marc, Don,
Peter, and Bruce.

> 6. Space Exploration Technologies Corporation, which launched
> the first privately funded liquid-propellant rocket into space,
> is the brainchild of another Silicon Valley billionaire.
> Name him.

Elon Musk. 4 for Dan Tilque, Erland, Joshua, Marc, Don, Peter,
and Bruce.

> 7. Name either the reusable launch vehicle or the spacecraft
> developed by Elon Musk's SpaceX.

Falcon, Dragon. 4 for Dan Tilque, Don, and Bruce.

> 8. What was unusual about the landing of CRS-8, the first-stage
> rocket launched this past April by SpaceX?

It landed vertically, on a floating drone platform in the ocean.
Either part was acceptable. 4 for Dan Tilque, Don, and Bruce.

> 9. SpaceX is now working on a larger-scale project, which Musk
> hopes to achieve in the next 30 years. What is the object of
> that endeavor?

Colonization of Mars. 4 for Dan Tilque and Peter.

> 10. More than 100,000 people have applied to Mars One, another
> proposed mission to the red planet, despite one the most notable
> drawback to the plan. What drawback?

It's a one-way mission. 4 for Dan Tilque, Joshua, Marc, Pete, Don,
Peter, and Bruce.

> * Game 5, Round 3 - Geography - Carto-Vexillology or Vexillo-Cartography?

> It's not flags. It's not maps. It's both. It's time for
> flag-maps!! Or maybe map-flags!!

> As you'll see at

> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/5-3/flag/maps.png

> , each image shows an outline map of a country, and the land
> area is filled by as much as possible of the flag of that country.
> All maps are oriented normally, with north at the top. But they're
> definitely not all to the same scale.

> I have rearranged the round in order by map letter. There were
> 12 decoys, which are now interspersed with the others. Answer them
> if you like for fun, but for no points.

> 1. A (decoy)

Belize. Joshua and Don got this.

> 2. B (decoy)

Barbados. Calvin, Joshua, Don, and Peter got this.

> 3. C (decoy)

Sri Lanka. Calvin, Dan Tilque, Erland, Joshua, Pete, and Peter
got this.

> 4. D (decoy)

Angola. Calvin, Erland, Joshua, Pete, Don, and Peter got this.

> 5. E. Name it.

Cyprus. 4 for everyone -- Dan Blum, Calvin, Dan Tilque, Erland,
Joshua, Marc, Pete, Don, Peter, and Bruce.

> 6. F. Name it.

Morocco (shown including Western Sahara, which it controls).
4 for everyone.

> 7. G (decoy)

Ghana. Calvin, Dan Tilque, Erland, Joshua, Pete, Don, and Peter
got this.

> 8. H. Name it.

Mongolia. 4 for Dan Blum, Calvin, Dan Tilque, Joshua, Don, Peter,
and Bruce.

> 9. I (decoy)

Kazakhstan. Calvin, Dan Tilque, Erland, Joshua, Pete, Don, and Peter
got this.

> 10. J. Name it.

South Africa. 4 for everyone.

> 11. K (decoy)

Ethiopia. Calvin and Joshua got this.

> 12. L. Name it.

Vatican City. 4 for everyone.

> 13. M (decoy)

Libya. Calvin, Dan Tilque, Joshua, Don, and Peter got this.

> 14. N (decoy)

Iran. Calvin, Dan Tilque, Joshua, Pete, Don, and Peter got this.

> 15. O (decoy)

Venezuela. Calvin, Dan Tilque, Joshua, Pete, and Don got this.

Then one of them tried to make a second guess. No second guesses on decoys!

> 16. P (decoy)

Somalia. Dan Tilque, Erland, Joshua, Pete, Don, Peter, and Bruce
got this.

> 17. Q. Name it.

Malaysia. 4 for Calvin, Dan Tilque, Erland, Joshua, Marc, Don,
and Peter.

> 18. R. Name it.

Finland. 4 for Calvin, Dan Tilque, Erland, Joshua, Marc, Pete, Don,
Peter, and Bruce.

> 19. S. Name it.

Panama. 4 for Dan Tilque, Erland, Joshua, Marc, Pete, Don, and Peter.
3 for Calvin.

> 20. T. Name it.

Chile. 4 for everyone.

> 21. U (decoy)

Greece. Calvin, Dan Tilque, Erland, Joshua, Pete, Don, Peter,
and Bruce got this.

> 22. V. Name it.

Thailand. 4 for Dan Blum, Calvin, Dan Tilque, Erland, Joshua, Marc,
Pete, Don, and Peter.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 5 ROUNDS-> 2 3 TOTALS
TOPICS-> Sci Geo
Don Piven 32 40 72
Dan Tilque 32 40 72
Bruce Bowler 36 28 64
Peter Smyth 20 40 60
Joshua Kreitzer 20 40 60
Marc Dashevsky 16 36 52
Erland Sommarskog 8 36 44
Pete Gayde 8 32 40
"Calvin" 0 39 39
Dan Blum 8 28 36

--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "I will take your word for it: this is very amusing."
m...@vex.net | --"Suddenly Human", ST:TNG, Phillips/Whelpley/Taylor