QFTCIWSS Game 4, Rounds 2-3: World Cup teams and SNL hosts

Mark Brader

Aug 24, 2018, 3:42:49 PM8/24/18
These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2018-06-11,
and should be interpreted accordingly.

Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

All questions were written by members of What She Said and are
used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information see
my 2018-07-16 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

* Game 4, Round 2 - Sports - World-Cup Team Nicknames

The 2018 World Cup begins this week, and most of the teams competing
have a nickname. We'll give you the nickname of the team competing
in the 2018 World Cup (translated into English if necessary),
and you tell us what country it's from.

1. The Socceroos.
2. The Coffee Growers.
3. The Incas.
4. The Sky Blue.
5. The Navigators.
6. The Carthage Eagles.
7. The Lions of Turanga.
8. Our Boys.

9. The Red Devils. Either one of two possible answers is
sufficient.

10. Several teams' nicknames translate to simply "The National
Team", but this country goes slightly further and simply calls
their FIFA squad "The Team".

* Game 4, Round 3 - Entertainment - "Saturday Night Live" Hosts

Over 570 people have hosted "Saturday Night Live". In each case,
name the one we describe.

1. This standup comic, who died in 2008, was the first person to
host SNL.

2. Please decode the rot13 for this question only after you have
finished with the previous one. Jub jnf gur svefg *jbzna* gb
ubfg FAY? Uvag: Fur jnf nyfb gur svefg crefba gb ubfg vg gjvpr.

3. This person was the first to be both SNL's host and also its
musical guest in the same episode, which was in 1975.

4. This woman is the oldest person to have hosted SNL, which she
did in 2010 at age 88.

5. On the other end of the scale, the youngest person to ever host
SNL was 7 years old when she hosted in 1982. She has since
hosted the show a five additional times. Name her.

6. "Saturday Night Live" has frequently referenced the list of
people who have hosted the show at least 5 times in sketches,
calling it "the Five-Timers Club". Who was the first member of
the Five-Timers Club, hosting for the 5th time in 1977?

7. Who was the first *former cast member* of "Saturday Night Live"
to come back to host the show? He was also the first former
cast member to join the Five-Timers Club.

8. Please decode the rot13 for this question only after you have
finished with the previous ones. Svir jbzra ner pheeragyl
zrzoref bs gur Svir-Gvzref Pyho. Jr'ir nyernql zragvbarq Pnaqvpr
Oretra naq Qerj Oneelzber; gur guveq vf sbezre FAY urnq jevgre
Gvan Srl. Anzr rvgure bs gur bgure gjb, obgu bs jubz wbvarq
gur Svir-Gvzref Pyho va 2017.

9. When this offensive comic hosted in 1990, cast member Nora
Dunn refused to work his show, and Sinead O'Connor canceled her
upcoming scheduled musical appearance on the show in protest.
Name the comic.

10. This person holds the record for most appearances hosting SNL,
having hosted it 17 times.

--
Mark Brader | "Basically, what I *really* want is the USENET of the 1980s
Toronto | without the high long-distance telephone bills."

Dan Blum

Aug 24, 2018, 4:13:16 PM8/24/18
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 4, Round 2 - Sports - World-Cup Team Nicknames

> 2. The Coffee Growers.

Colombia; Ethiopia

> 3. The Incas.

Peru

> 5. The Navigators.

Portugal

> 6. The Carthage Eagles.

Tunisia

> * Game 4, Round 3 - Entertainment - "Saturday Night Live" Hosts

> 1. This standup comic, who died in 2008, was the first person to
> host SNL.

George Carlin

> 2. Please decode the rot13 for this question only after you have
> finished with the previous one. Jub jnf gur svefg *jbzna* gb
> ubfg FAY? Uvag: Fur jnf nyfb gur svefg crefba gb ubfg vg gjvpr.

Joan Rivers

> 3. This person was the first to be both SNL's host and also its
> musical guest in the same episode, which was in 1975.

Paul Simon

> 4. This woman is the oldest person to have hosted SNL, which she
> did in 2010 at age 88.

Betty White

> 5. On the other end of the scale, the youngest person to ever host
> SNL was 7 years old when she hosted in 1982. She has since
> hosted the show a five additional times. Name her.

Drew Barrymore

> 6. "Saturday Night Live" has frequently referenced the list of
> people who have hosted the show at least 5 times in sketches,
> calling it "the Five-Timers Club". Who was the first member of
> the Five-Timers Club, hosting for the 5th time in 1977?

Steve Martin

> 7. Who was the first *former cast member* of "Saturday Night Live"
> to come back to host the show? He was also the first former
> cast member to join the Five-Timers Club.

Chevy Chase; Dan Aykroyd

> 8. Please decode the rot13 for this question only after you have
> finished with the previous ones. Svir jbzra ner pheeragyl
> zrzoref bs gur Svir-Gvzref Pyho. Jr'ir nyernql zragvbarq Pnaqvpr
> Oretra naq Qerj Oneelzber; gur guveq vf sbezre FAY urnq jevgre
> Gvan Srl. Anzr rvgure bs gur bgure gjb, obgu bs jubz wbvarq
> gur Svir-Gvzref Pyho va 2017.

Kathleen Turner; Michelle Pfeiffer

> 9. When this offensive comic hosted in 1990, cast member Nora
> Dunn refused to work his show, and Sinead O'Connor canceled her
> upcoming scheduled musical appearance on the show in protest.
> Name the comic.

Andrew Dice Clay

> 10. This person holds the record for most appearances hosting SNL,
> having hosted it 17 times.

Steve Martin

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Erland Sommarskog

Aug 24, 2018, 5:04:42 PM8/24/18
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> * Game 4, Round 2 - Sports - World-Cup Team Nicknames
>
> The 2018 World Cup begins this week, and most of the teams competing
> have a nickname. We'll give you the nickname of the team competing
> in the 2018 World Cup (translated into English if necessary),
> and you tell us what country it's from.
>
> 1. The Socceroos.

Australia

> 2. The Coffee Growers.

Colombia?

> 3. The Incas.

Peru

> 4. The Sky Blue.

Uruguay

> 5. The Navigators.

Portugal

> 6. The Carthage Eagles.

Tunisia

> 7. The Lions of Turanga.

Nigeria

> 8. Our Boys.

Russia

> 9. The Red Devils. Either one of two possible answers is
> sufficient.

Belgium

> 10. Several teams' nicknames translate to simply "The National
> Team", but this country goes slightly further and simply calls
> their FIFA squad "The Team".

Brazil

Joshua Kreitzer

Aug 24, 2018, 10:47:30 PM8/24/18
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:eOadnb9krs4uwh3GnZ2dnUU7-
afN...@giganews.com:

> * Game 4, Round 2 - Sports - World-Cup Team Nicknames
>
> The 2018 World Cup begins this week, and most of the teams competing
> have a nickname. We'll give you the nickname of the team competing
> in the 2018 World Cup (translated into English if necessary),
> and you tell us what country it's from.
>
> 1. The Socceroos.

Australia

> 2. The Coffee Growers.

Colombia

> 3. The Incas.

Peru

> 6. The Carthage Eagles.

Tunisia

> * Game 4, Round 3 - Entertainment - "Saturday Night Live" Hosts
>
> Over 570 people have hosted "Saturday Night Live". In each case,
> name the one we describe.
>
> 1. This standup comic, who died in 2008, was the first person to
> host SNL.

George Carlin

> 2. Please decode the rot13 for this question only after you have
> finished with the previous one. Jub jnf gur svefg *jbzna* gb
> ubfg FAY? Uvag: Fur jnf nyfb gur svefg crefba gb ubfg vg gjvpr.

Candice Bergen

> 3. This person was the first to be both SNL's host and also its
> musical guest in the same episode, which was in 1975.

Paul Simon

> 4. This woman is the oldest person to have hosted SNL, which she
> did in 2010 at age 88.

Betty White

> 5. On the other end of the scale, the youngest person to ever host
> SNL was 7 years old when she hosted in 1982. She has since
> hosted the show a five additional times. Name her.

Drew Barrymore

> 6. "Saturday Night Live" has frequently referenced the list of
> people who have hosted the show at least 5 times in sketches,
> calling it "the Five-Timers Club". Who was the first member of
> the Five-Timers Club, hosting for the 5th time in 1977?

Buck Henry

> 7. Who was the first *former cast member* of "Saturday Night Live"
> to come back to host the show? He was also the first former
> cast member to join the Five-Timers Club.

Chevy Chase

> 8. Please decode the rot13 for this question only after you have
> finished with the previous ones. Svir jbzra ner pheeragyl
> zrzoref bs gur Svir-Gvzref Pyho. Jr'ir nyernql zragvbarq Pnaqvpr
> Oretra naq Qerj Oneelzber; gur guveq vf sbezre FAY urnq jevgre
> Gvan Srl. Anzr rvgure bs gur bgure gjb, obgu bs jubz wbvarq
> gur Svir-Gvzref Pyho va 2017.

Melissa McCarthy; Scarlett Johannsen

> 9. When this offensive comic hosted in 1990, cast member Nora
> Dunn refused to work his show, and Sinead O'Connor canceled her
> upcoming scheduled musical appearance on the show in protest.
> Name the comic.

Andrew Dice Clay

> 10. This person holds the record for most appearances hosting SNL,
> having hosted it 17 times.

Steve Martin; Alec Baldwin

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

Jason Kreitzer

Aug 25, 2018, 11:28:39 PM8/25/18
George Carlin
> 2. Please decode the rot13 for this question only after you have
> finished with the previous one. Jub jnf gur svefg *jbzna* gb
> ubfg FAY? Uvag: Fur jnf nyfb gur svefg crefba gb ubfg vg gjvpr.
Lily Tomlin?

> 3. This person was the first to be both SNL's host and also its
> musical guest in the same episode, which was in 1975.
>
> 4. This woman is the oldest person to have hosted SNL, which she
> did in 2010 at age 88.
Betty White
> 5. On the other end of the scale, the youngest person to ever host
> SNL was 7 years old when she hosted in 1982. She has since
> hosted the show a five additional times. Name her.
Drew Barrymore
> 6. "Saturday Night Live" has frequently referenced the list of
> people who have hosted the show at least 5 times in sketches,
> calling it "the Five-Timers Club". Who was the first member of
> the Five-Timers Club, hosting for the 5th time in 1977?
Steve Martin?
> 7. Who was the first *former cast member* of "Saturday Night Live"
> to come back to host the show? He was also the first former
> cast member to join the Five-Timers Club.
>
> 8. Please decode the rot13 for this question only after you have
> finished with the previous ones. Svir jbzra ner pheeragyl
> zrzoref bs gur Svir-Gvzref Pyho. Jr'ir nyernql zragvbarq Pnaqvpr
> Oretra naq Qerj Oneelzber; gur guveq vf sbezre FAY urnq jevgre
> Gvan Srl. Anzr rvgure bs gur bgure gjb, obgu bs jubz wbvarq
> gur Svir-Gvzref Pyho va 2017.
>
> 9. When this offensive comic hosted in 1990, cast member Nora
> Dunn refused to work his show, and Sinead O'Connor canceled her
> upcoming scheduled musical appearance on the show in protest.
> Name the comic.
Andrew Dice Clay

Dan Tilque

Aug 26, 2018, 4:49:24 PM8/26/18
Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 4, Round 2 - Sports - World-Cup Team Nicknames
>
> The 2018 World Cup begins this week, and most of the teams competing
> have a nickname. We'll give you the nickname of the team competing
> in the 2018 World Cup (translated into English if necessary),
> and you tell us what country it's from.
>
> 1. The Socceroos.

Australia

> 2. The Coffee Growers.

Honduras

> 3. The Incas.

Peru

> 4. The Sky Blue.
> 5. The Navigators.
> 6. The Carthage Eagles.
> 7. The Lions of Turanga.
> 8. Our Boys.
>
> 9. The Red Devils. Either one of two possible answers is
> sufficient.
>
> 10. Several teams' nicknames translate to simply "The National
> Team", but this country goes slightly further and simply calls
> their FIFA squad "The Team".
>

> * Game 4, Round 3 - Entertainment - "Saturday Night Live" Hosts
>
> Over 570 people have hosted "Saturday Night Live". In each case,
> name the one we describe.
>
> 1. This standup comic, who died in 2008, was the first person to
> host SNL.
>
> 2. Please decode the rot13 for this question only after you have
> finished with the previous one. Jub jnf gur svefg *jbzna* gb
> ubfg FAY? Uvag: Fur jnf nyfb gur svefg crefba gb ubfg vg gjvpr.
>
> 3. This person was the first to be both SNL's host and also its
> musical guest in the same episode, which was in 1975.
>
> 4. This woman is the oldest person to have hosted SNL, which she
> did in 2010 at age 88.

Barbara Billingsley

> 5. On the other end of the scale, the youngest person to ever host
> SNL was 7 years old when she hosted in 1982. She has since
> hosted the show a five additional times. Name her.
>
> 6. "Saturday Night Live" has frequently referenced the list of
> people who have hosted the show at least 5 times in sketches,
> calling it "the Five-Timers Club". Who was the first member of
> the Five-Timers Club, hosting for the 5th time in 1977?

Buck Henry

> 7. Who was the first *former cast member* of "Saturday Night Live"
> to come back to host the show? He was also the first former
> cast member to join the Five-Timers Club.

Chevy Chase; Dan Ackroyd

> 8. Please decode the rot13 for this question only after you have
> finished with the previous ones. Svir jbzra ner pheeragyl
> zrzoref bs gur Svir-Gvzref Pyho. Jr'ir nyernql zragvbarq Pnaqvpr
> Oretra naq Qerj Oneelzber; gur guveq vf sbezre FAY urnq jevgre
> Gvan Srl. Anzr rvgure bs gur bgure gjb, obgu bs jubz wbvarq
> gur Svir-Gvzref Pyho va 2017.
>
> 9. When this offensive comic hosted in 1990, cast member Nora
> Dunn refused to work his show, and Sinead O'Connor canceled her
> upcoming scheduled musical appearance on the show in protest.
> Name the comic.
>
> 10. This person holds the record for most appearances hosting SNL,
> having hosted it 17 times.

Steve Martin

--
Dan Tilque

Calvin

Aug 26, 2018, 8:30:45 PM8/26/18
On Saturday, August 25, 2018 at 5:42:49 AM UTC+10, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 4, Round 2 - Sports - World-Cup Team Nicknames
>
> The 2018 World Cup begins this week, and most of the teams competing
> have a nickname. We'll give you the nickname of the team competing
> in the 2018 World Cup (translated into English if necessary),
> and you tell us what country it's from.
>
> 1. The Socceroos.

Australia

> 2. The Coffee Growers.

Colombia, Peru

> 3. The Incas.

Colombia, Peru

> 4. The Sky Blue.

Uruguay

> 5. The Navigators.

Morocco?

> 6. The Carthage Eagles.

Tunisia

> 7. The Lions of Turanga.

Senegal?

> 8. Our Boys.
>
> 9. The Red Devils. Either one of two possible answers is
> sufficient.

Spain, Portugal

> 10. Several teams' nicknames translate to simply "The National
> Team", but this country goes slightly further and simply calls
> their FIFA squad "The Team".
>

> * Game 4, Round 3 - Entertainment - "Saturday Night Live" Hosts

Pass

cheers,
calvin

Pete Gayde

Aug 27, 2018, 9:28:31 AM8/27/18
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:eOadnb9krs4uwh3GnZ2dnUU7-
afN...@giganews.com:

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2018-06-11,

> Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of What She Said and are
> used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
> been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information see
> my 2018-07-16 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 4, Round 2 - Sports - World-Cup Team Nicknames
>
> The 2018 World Cup begins this week, and most of the teams competing
> have a nickname. We'll give you the nickname of the team competing
> in the 2018 World Cup (translated into English if necessary),
> and you tell us what country it's from.
>
> 1. The Socceroos.

Australia

> 2. The Coffee Growers.

Colombia

> 3. The Incas.

Peru

> 4. The Sky Blue.

Argentina

> 5. The Navigators.

Portugal

> 6. The Carthage Eagles.

Tunisia

> 7. The Lions of Turanga.

Senegal

> 8. Our Boys.

Egypt; Ghana

> 9. The Red Devils. Either one of two possible answers is
> sufficient.

Belgium

> 10. Several teams' nicknames translate to simply "The National
> Team", but this country goes slightly further and simply calls
> their FIFA squad "The Team".

Mexico; Egypt

> * Game 4, Round 3 - Entertainment - "Saturday Night Live" Hosts
>
> Over 570 people have hosted "Saturday Night Live". In each case,
> name the one we describe.
>
> 1. This standup comic, who died in 2008, was the first person to
> host SNL.

Buck Henry

> 2. Please decode the rot13 for this question only after you have
> finished with the previous one. Jub jnf gur svefg *jbzna* gb
> ubfg FAY? Uvag: Fur jnf nyfb gur svefg crefba gb ubfg vg gjvpr.

Candace Bergen

> 3. This person was the first to be both SNL's host and also its
> musical guest in the same episode, which was in 1975.

Stevie Wonder

> 4. This woman is the oldest person to have hosted SNL, which she
> did in 2010 at age 88.

Betty White

> 5. On the other end of the scale, the youngest person to ever host
> SNL was 7 years old when she hosted in 1982. She has since
> hosted the show a five additional times. Name her.

Jodie Foster

> 6. "Saturday Night Live" has frequently referenced the list of
> people who have hosted the show at least 5 times in sketches,
> calling it "the Five-Timers Club". Who was the first member of
> the Five-Timers Club, hosting for the 5th time in 1977?

Steve Martin

> 7. Who was the first *former cast member* of "Saturday Night Live"
> to come back to host the show? He was also the first former
> cast member to join the Five-Timers Club.

Chevy Chase

> 8. Please decode the rot13 for this question only after you have
> finished with the previous ones. Svir jbzra ner pheeragyl
> zrzoref bs gur Svir-Gvzref Pyho. Jr'ir nyernql zragvbarq Pnaqvpr
> Oretra naq Qerj Oneelzber; gur guveq vf sbezre FAY urnq jevgre
> Gvan Srl. Anzr rvgure bs gur bgure gjb, obgu bs jubz wbvarq
> gur Svir-Gvzref Pyho va 2017.

Jodie Foster

> 9. When this offensive comic hosted in 1990, cast member Nora
> Dunn refused to work his show, and Sinead O'Connor canceled her
> upcoming scheduled musical appearance on the show in protest.
> Name the comic.

Clay

> 10. This person holds the record for most appearances hosting SNL,
> having hosted it 17 times.

Steve Martin; Alec Baldwin

Pete Gayde

Mark Brader

Aug 27, 2018, 3:59:18 PM8/27/18
Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2018-06-11,
> see my 2018-07-16 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

> * Game 4, Round 2 - Sports - World-Cup Team Nicknames

> The 2018 World Cup begins this week, and most of the teams competing
> have a nickname. We'll give you the nickname of the team competing
> in the 2018 World Cup (translated into English if necessary),
> and you tell us what country it's from.

> 1. The Socceroos.

Australia. 4 for Erland, Joshua, Dan Tilque, Calvin, and Pete.

> 2. The Coffee Growers.

Colombia. 4 for Erland, Joshua, and Pete. 3 for Dan Blum and Calvin.

> 3. The Incas.

Peru. 4 for Dan Blum, Erland, Joshua, Dan Tilque, and Pete.
2 for Calvin.

> 4. The Sky Blue.

Uruguay. 4 for Erland and Calvin.

> 5. The Navigators.

Portugal. 4 for Dan Blum, Erland, and Pete.

> 6. The Carthage Eagles.

Tunisia. 4 for Dan Blum, Erland, Joshua, Calvin, and Pete.

> 7. The Lions of Turanga.

Senegal. 4 for Calvin and Pete.

> 8. Our Boys.

Iceland.

> 9. The Red Devils. Either one of two possible answers is
> sufficient.

Belgium, South Korea. 4 for Erland and Pete.

> 10. Several teams' nicknames translate to simply "The National
> Team", but this country goes slightly further and simply calls
> their FIFA squad "The Team".

Germany.

I'm suspicious that a couple of these may have been insufficiently
researched; but if you want to protest that your answer is correct,
I'll still need evidence cited.

> * Game 4, Round 3 - Entertainment - "Saturday Night Live" Hosts

> Over 570 people have hosted "Saturday Night Live". In each case,
> name the one we describe.

> 1. This standup comic, who died in 2008, was the first person to
> host SNL.

George Carlin. 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, and Jason.

> 2. Please decode the rot13 for this question only after you have
> finished with the previous one. Who was the first *woman* to
> host SNL? Hint: She was also the first person to host it twice.

Candice Bergen. 4 for Joshua and Pete.

> 3. This person was the first to be both SNL's host and also its
> musical guest in the same episode, which was in 1975.

Paul Simon. 4 for Dan Blum and Joshua.

> 4. This woman is the oldest person to have hosted SNL, which she
> did in 2010 at age 88.

Betty White. 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, Jason, and Pete.

> 5. On the other end of the scale, the youngest person to ever host
> SNL was 7 years old when she hosted in 1982. She has since
> hosted the show a five additional times. Name her.

Drew Barrymore. 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, and Jason.

> 6. "Saturday Night Live" has frequently referenced the list of
> people who have hosted the show at least 5 times in sketches,
> calling it "the Five-Timers Club". Who was the first member of
> the Five-Timers Club, hosting for the 5th time in 1977?

Buck Henry. 4 for Joshua and Dan Tilque.

> 7. Who was the first *former cast member* of "Saturday Night Live"
> to come back to host the show? He was also the first former
> cast member to join the Five-Timers Club.

Chevy Chase. 4 for Joshua and Pete. 3 for Dan Blum and Dan Tilque.

> 8. Please decode the rot13 for this question only after you have
> finished with the previous ones. Five women are currently
> members of the Five-Timers Club. We've already mentioned Candice
> Bergen and Drew Barrymore; the third is former SNL head writer
> Tina Fey. Name either of the other two, both of whom joined
> the Five-Timers Club in 2017.

Scarlett Johanssen, Melissa McCarthy. 4 for Joshua (the hard way).

> 9. When this offensive comic hosted in 1990, cast member Nora
> Dunn refused to work his show, and Sinead O'Connor cancelled her
> upcoming scheduled musical appearance on the show in protest.
> Name the comic.

Andrew Dice Clay. 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, Jason, and Pete.

> 10. This person holds the record for most appearances hosting SNL,
> having hosted it 17 times.

Alec Baldwin. 2 for Joshua and Pete.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 4 ROUNDS-> 2 3 TOTALS
TOPICS-> Spo Ent
Joshua Kreitzer 16 38 54
Pete Gayde 28 18 46
Dan Blum 15 23 38
Erland Sommarskog 28 0 28
"Calvin" 21 0 21
Jason Kreitzer 0 16 16
Dan Tilque 8 7 15

--
Mark Brader | "I do not want to give the impression I spend all
Toronto | my time on the Internet, but in the right hands
| it is an even better one." -- Cecil Adams

Erland Sommarskog

Aug 27, 2018, 5:09:47 PM8/27/18
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
>> 10. Several teams' nicknames translate to simply "The National
>> Team", but this country goes slightly further and simply calls
>> their FIFA squad "The Team".
>
> Germany.

Ah, die Mannschaft!

I did not answer Brazil out of the blue. My daily has a correspondent
who lives in Brazil, and when he writes about the team from a Brazilian
perspective, he uses /A seleção/ in his Swedish text. I've always taken
that to mean "The selection", but of curiousity I looked it up in my
Portoguese dictionary and it can indeed also mean "team".

Some googling on "a selecao brazil" indicates that the usage is wider
than just my daily.

As for the others I did not get right - they were based on pure guesses,
and I'm quite content with the guesses I did get right. (I did know a
few, and some were obvious.)

Mark Brader

Aug 27, 2018, 5:54:39 PM8/27/18
Mark Brader:
>>> 10. Several teams' nicknames translate to simply "The National
>>> Team", but this country goes slightly further and simply calls
>>> their FIFA squad "The Team".

>> Germany.

>> I'm suspicious that a couple of these may have been insufficiently
>> researched; but if you want to protest that your answer is correct,
>> I'll still need evidence cited.

Erland Sommarskog:
> I did not answer Brazil out of the blue. My daily has a correspondent
> who lives in Brazil, and when he writes about the team from a Brazilian
> perspective, he uses /A seleção/ in his Swedish text. I've always taken
> that to mean "The selection", but of curiousity I looked it up in my
> Portoguese dictionary and it can indeed also mean "team".
>
> Some googling on "a selecao brazil" indicates that the usage is wider
> than just my daily.

Ah, but if they use it together with the word "Brasil", then it's not
the usage that the round is about. Do they say "A seleção" *by itself*
to mean their own team in the context of international games?
--
Mark Brader Be there or be... hmmm. I can't pretend that a
Toronto six-hour seminar on trivia skills is exactly the

Erland Sommarskog

Aug 27, 2018, 6:02:03 PM8/27/18
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> Ah, but if they use it together with the word "Brasil", then it's not
> the usage that the round is about. Do they say "A seleção" *by itself*
> to mean their own team in the context of international games?

I would interpret the hits that way. I only had "brazil" in the search
string because Google filled it in for me. I did not check them vigourously,
but several headlines said "the seleção" or even without the article as
in
http://www.goal.com/en/news/what-went-wrong-for-brazil-neymar-the-main-
culprit-as/144d8oua8zq5y1vox3r1g4m06e

Yeah, that is an English, but Google thinks I like that language better
than Portoguese. But the search page also has a YouTube link entitled
"Salve a Selecao" which appears be a song for the legendary 1970 team.

Mark Brader

Aug 27, 2018, 6:17:00 PM8/27/18
Mark Brader:
> > Do they say "A seleção" *by itself*
> > to mean their own team in the context of international games?

Erland Sommarskog:
> I would interpret the hits that way. I only had "brazil" in the search
> string because Google filled it in for me. I did not check them vigourously,
> but several headlines said "the seleção" or even without the article as
> in
> http://www.goal.com/en/news/what-went-wrong-for-brazil-neymar-the-main-culprit-as/144d8oua8zq5y1vox3r1g4m06e

Oh, that's cute. If I attempt to open that page, it redirects to

http://www.sportingnews.com/ca/soccer?utm_source=Goal&utm_medium=Redirect&utm_campaign=Canada

which shows several headlines, one about Neymar, but not the one in your URL.

Never mind, I'll accept the answer. 4 for Erland. Scores, if there are
now no errors:

GAME 4 ROUNDS-> 2 3 TOTALS
TOPICS-> Spo Ent
Joshua Kreitzer 16 38 54
Pete Gayde 28 18 46
Dan Blum 15 23 38
Erland Sommarskog 32 0 32
"Calvin" 21 0 21
Jason Kreitzer 0 16 16
Dan Tilque 8 7 15
--
Mark Brader | "A colorful quilt reflecting the dispersed development
m...@vex.net | of the nation. A sentence fragment."