Rotating Quiz #261: The Long and Yet Also Short Quiz

Dan Blum

Jun 27, 2017, 9:24:52 PM6/27/17
This is Rotating Quiz #261. Entries must be posted by Monday, July
10th, 2017 at 11 PM (Eastern Daylight Time). (I will be on vacation
starting this Sunday for a week and didn't want to end it that early.)

Usual rules: no looking anything up, no discussion, etc. The winner
gets to create the next RQ.

Please post your answers to all questions in a single followup in the
newsgroup, quoting the questions and placing your answer below each
one. Only one answer is allowed per question.

This quiz has a theme but it affects the questions rather than the
answers; this will make sense when you see the questions (I hope). A
correct answer is worth 1 point; I am not going to worry about
spelling, but if an answer is misspelled to the point I can't be sure
it is correct, it won't count. All answers are peoples' names. Only
the last name is required, but if any other part is given it must be
correct or the answer won't count.

In case of a tie, the first tiebreaker will be whoever scored the most
points on the hardest questions (defined post-facto as the ones which
the fewest people got any points on). Second tiebreaker will be
posting order.

1. This Romantic composer, music critic, and author of "The Nutcracker
and the Mouse King" (among other fiction) can tell you when the flight
from Kaliningrad to Berlin is due to land.

2. This early 20th-century English author is these days best known for
his children's stories, but he shot down many a Fokker in his day.

3. This 19th-century American entrepreneur and showman may think
you're a sucker but will still help you exercise that bad knee.

4. This American author of an iconic novel about teenagers was
extremely reclusive for much of his life, which must have made it hard
to practice law.

5. This early 20th-century English author of upper-class humor may not
be entirely suitable for children.

6. This 20th-century Swiss artist known for his bizarre biomechanical
paintings and sculptures can explain your vacation policy to you.

7. This American musician known as "The King of the Blues" might shoot
your eye out.

8. This Chinese-American architect might ping you on Facebook Chat or
ICQ.

9. This 20th-century Dutch artist known for his tessellations also
recorded a number of hip-hop tracks.

10. This 20th-century English author best known for his Napoleonic
naval novels can explain how to construct a binary tree.

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Calvin

Jun 27, 2017, 10:21:25 PM6/27/17
On Wednesday, June 28, 2017 at 11:24:52 AM UTC+10, Dan Blum wrote:

> 1. This Romantic composer, music critic, and author of "The Nutcracker
> and the Mouse King" (among other fiction) can tell you when the flight
> from Kaliningrad to Berlin is due to land.

Strauss?

> 2. This early 20th-century English author is these days best known for
> his children's stories, but he shot down many a Fokker in his day.

Dahl

> 3. This 19th-century American entrepreneur and showman may think
> you're a sucker but will still help you exercise that bad knee.

Fields

> 4. This American author of an iconic novel about teenagers was
> extremely reclusive for much of his life, which must have made it hard
> to practice law.

Salinger

> 5. This early 20th-century English author of upper-class humor may not
> be entirely suitable for children.

Wodehouse
Dunno about "early"- he died in 1975 and worked right to the end.

> 6. This 20th-century Swiss artist known for his bizarre biomechanical
> paintings and sculptures can explain your vacation policy to you.

Escher

> 7. This American musician known as "The King of the Blues" might shoot
> your eye out.

Handy

> 8. This Chinese-American architect might ping you on Facebook Chat or
> ICQ.

Pei

> 9. This 20th-century Dutch artist known for his tessellations also
> recorded a number of hip-hop tracks.

nope

> 10. This 20th-century English author best known for his Napoleonic
> naval novels can explain how to construct a binary tree.

Forester

cheers,
calvin

Mark Brader

Jun 28, 2017, 12:58:39 AM6/28/17
Dan Blum:
> This quiz has a theme but it affects the questions rather than the
> answers; this will make sense when you see the questions (I hope).

I was completely stumped at first and put it aside for a couple of
hours. About 2 minutes after coming back to it, I got the answer
to #4 -- one that will continue to puzzle solvers in some countries,
I think -- and realized what you were doing. Clever idea.

> 1. This Romantic composer, music critic, and author of "The Nutcracker
> and the Mouse King" (among other fiction) can tell you when the flight
> from Kaliningrad to Berlin is due to land.

I can't see what two letters the hint is indicating here, and I don't
know the answer. I'll guess Tchaikovsky.

> 2. This early 20th-century English author is these days best known for
> his children's stories, but he shot down many a Fokker in his day.

Milne.

> 3. This 19th-century American entrepreneur and showman may think
> you're a sucker but will still help you exercise that bad knee.

Barnum.

> 4. This American author of an iconic novel about teenagers was
> extremely reclusive for much of his life, which must have made it hard
> to practice law.

Salinger.

> 5. This early 20th-century English author of upper-class humor may not
> be entirely suitable for children.

Wodehouse.

> 6. This 20th-century Swiss artist known for his bizarre biomechanical
> paintings and sculptures can explain your vacation policy to you.

Giger.

> 7. This American musician known as "The King of the Blues" might shoot
> your eye out.

King.

> 8. This Chinese-American architect might ping you on Facebook Chat or
> ICQ.

Pei.

> 9. This 20th-century Dutch artist known for his tessellations also
> recorded a number of hip-hop tracks.

Escher.

> 10. This 20th-century English author best known for his Napoleonic
> naval novels can explain how to construct a binary tree.

I guess this is the guy who wrote "Master and Commander", but I don't
remember his name and again I don't get the hint, perhaps because
I already know how to construct a binary tree. I'll try O'Connor.

--
Mark Brader, Toronto, m...@vex.net
"Omit needless code! Omit needless code! Omit needless code!"

Mark Brader

Jun 28, 2017, 1:04:52 AM6/28/17
(After looking up two answers.)

Mark Brader:
> I can't see what two letters the hint is indicating here...

Arrgh. Oh well, I wouldn't've gotten this one even if I had guessed
that it didn't fit the pattern.

> I guess this is the guy who wrote "Master and Commander"...

Well, sheesh. How many of that type of author *are* there?

Good contest, Dan.
--
Mark Brader "The best you can write will be the best you are.
Toronto Every sentence is the result of a long probation."

Peter Smyth

Jun 28, 2017, 4:18:06 AM6/28/17
PT Barnum
> 4. This American author of an iconic novel about teenagers was
> extremely reclusive for much of his life, which must have made it hard
> to practice law.
>
> 5. This early 20th-century English author of upper-class humor may not
> be entirely suitable for children.
PG Wodehouse
> 6. This 20th-century Swiss artist known for his bizarre biomechanical
> paintings and sculptures can explain your vacation policy to you.
>
> 7. This American musician known as "The King of the Blues" might shoot
> your eye out.
BB King
> 8. This Chinese-American architect might ping you on Facebook Chat or
> ICQ.
IM Pei
> 9. This 20th-century Dutch artist known for his tessellations also
> recorded a number of hip-hop tracks.
MC Escher
> 10. This 20th-century English author best known for his Napoleonic
> naval novels can explain how to construct a binary tree.
CS Forrester

Peter Smyth

Dan Tilque

Jun 28, 2017, 4:41:52 AM6/28/17
Dan Blum wrote:

> 1. This Romantic composer, music critic, and author of "The Nutcracker
> and the Mouse King" (among other fiction) can tell you when the flight
> from Kaliningrad to Berlin is due to land.
>
> 2. This early 20th-century English author is these days best known for
> his children's stories, but he shot down many a Fokker in his day.

A A Milne

> 3. This 19th-century American entrepreneur and showman may think
> you're a sucker but will still help you exercise that bad knee.

P T Barnum

> 4. This American author of an iconic novel about teenagers was
> extremely reclusive for much of his life, which must have made it hard
> to practice law.

J D Salinger

> 5. This early 20th-century English author of upper-class humor may not
> be entirely suitable for children.

T S Eliot ??

> 6. This 20th-century Swiss artist known for his bizarre biomechanical
> paintings and sculptures can explain your vacation policy to you.
>
> 7. This American musician known as "The King of the Blues" might shoot
> your eye out.

B B King

> 8. This Chinese-American architect might ping you on Facebook Chat or
> ICQ.

I M Pei

> 9. This 20th-century Dutch artist known for his tessellations also
> recorded a number of hip-hop tracks.

M C Escher

> 10. This 20th-century English author best known for his Napoleonic
> naval novels can explain how to construct a binary tree.

C S Forester

--
Dan Tilque

Don Piven

Jun 28, 2017, 8:20:05 AM6/28/17
A. A. Milne

> 3. This 19th-century American entrepreneur and showman may think
> you're a sucker but will still help you exercise that bad knee.

P. T. Barnum

> 4. This American author of an iconic novel about teenagers was
> extremely reclusive for much of his life, which must have made it hard
> to practice law.

J. D. Salinger

> 5. This early 20th-century English author of upper-class humor may not
> be entirely suitable for children.

P. G. Wodehouse

> 6. This 20th-century Swiss artist known for his bizarre biomechanical
> paintings and sculptures can explain your vacation policy to you.

H. R. Giger

> 7. This American musician known as "The King of the Blues" might shoot
> your eye out.

B. B. King

> 8. This Chinese-American architect might ping you on Facebook Chat or
> ICQ.

I. M. Pei

> 9. This 20th-century Dutch artist known for his tessellations also
> recorded a number of hip-hop tracks.

M. C. Escher

> 10. This 20th-century English author best known for his Napoleonic
> naval novels can explain how to construct a binary tree.

C. S. Forester

Dan Blum

Jun 28, 2017, 9:58:49 AM6/28/17
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:
> Dan Blum:
> > This quiz has a theme but it affects the questions rather than the
> > answers; this will make sense when you see the questions (I hope).

> I was completely stumped at first and put it aside for a couple of
> hours. About 2 minutes after coming back to it, I got the answer
> to #4 -- one that will continue to puzzle solvers in some countries,
> I think -- and realized what you were doing. Clever idea.

> > 1. This Romantic composer, music critic, and author of "The Nutcracker
> > and the Mouse King" (among other fiction) can tell you when the flight
> > from Kaliningrad to Berlin is due to land.

> I can't see what two letters the hint is indicating here, and I don't
> know the answer. I'll guess Tchaikovsky.

I didn't actually say it was two letters.

Dan Blum

Jun 28, 2017, 9:59:22 AM6/28/17
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:
> (After looking up two answers.)

> Mark Brader:
> > I can't see what two letters the hint is indicating here...

> Arrgh. Oh well, I wouldn't've gotten this one even if I had guessed
> that it didn't fit the pattern.

> > I guess this is the guy who wrote "Master and Commander"...

> Well, sheesh. How many of that type of author *are* there?

At least two.

> Good contest, Dan.

Thanks!

Marc Dashevsky

Jun 28, 2017, 12:30:34 PM6/28/17
In article <oiv0h3$51t$1...@reader2.panix.com>, to...@panix.com says...
> 1. This Romantic composer, music critic, and author of "The Nutcracker
> and the Mouse King" (among other fiction) can tell you when the flight
> from Kaliningrad to Berlin is due to land.
>
> 2. This early 20th-century English author is these days best known for
> his children's stories, but he shot down many a Fokker in his day.
Dahl

> 3. This 19th-century American entrepreneur and showman may think
> you're a sucker but will still help you exercise that bad knee.
Barnum

> 4. This American author of an iconic novel about teenagers was
> extremely reclusive for much of his life, which must have made it hard
> to practice law.
Salinger

> 5. This early 20th-century English author of upper-class humor may not
> be entirely suitable for children.
Wodehouse

> 6. This 20th-century Swiss artist known for his bizarre biomechanical
> paintings and sculptures can explain your vacation policy to you.
>
> 7. This American musician known as "The King of the Blues" might shoot
> your eye out.
King

> 8. This Chinese-American architect might ping you on Facebook Chat or
> ICQ.
Pei

> 9. This 20th-century Dutch artist known for his tessellations also
> recorded a number of hip-hop tracks.
Escher

> 10. This 20th-century English author best known for his Napoleonic
> naval novels can explain how to construct a binary tree.

Gareth Owen

Jul 2, 2017, 3:41:31 PM7/2/17
to...@panix.com (Dan Blum) writes:

> 1. This Romantic composer, music critic, and author of "The Nutcracker
> and the Mouse King" (among other fiction) can tell you when the flight
> from Kaliningrad to Berlin is due to land.

Tchaikovsky (PI)???

> 2. This early 20th-century English author is these days best known for
> his children's stories, but he shot down many a Fokker in his day.

Lewis?? (CS)

> 3. This 19th-century American entrepreneur and showman may think
> you're a sucker but will still help you exercise that bad knee.

Barnum (PT)

> 4. This American author of an iconic novel about teenagers was
> extremely reclusive for much of his life, which must have made it hard
> to practice law.

Salinger (JD)

> 5. This early 20th-century English author of upper-class humor may not
> be entirely suitable for children.

Wodehouse (PG)

> 6. This 20th-century Swiss artist known for his bizarre biomechanical
> paintings and sculptures can explain your vacation policy to you.

??? Got Nothing ???

> 7. This American musician known as "The King of the Blues" might shoot
> your eye out.

King (BB)

> 8. This Chinese-American architect might ping you on Facebook Chat or
> ICQ.

Pei (IM)

> 9. This 20th-century Dutch artist known for his tessellations also
> recorded a number of hip-hop tracks.

Escher (MC)

> 10. This 20th-century English author best known for his Napoleonic
> naval novels can explain how to construct a binary tree.

Forrester (CS) - Hmmm... suspect Lewis is wrong now.

Dan Blum

Jul 10, 2017, 11:16:40 PM7/10/17
Rotating Quiz #261 is over and Don Piven is the winner with a
near-perfect score. He may now proceed to set RQ #262.

> 1. This Romantic composer, music critic, and author of "The Nutcracker
> and the Mouse King" (among other fiction) can tell you when the flight
> from Kaliningrad to Berlin is due to land.

E. T. A. Hoffmann

As in "The Tales of," although admittedly I didn't mention Offenbach
because I thought it would make it too easy.

> 2. This early 20th-century English author is these days best known for
> his children's stories, but he shot down many a Fokker in his day.

A. A. Milne

I would like to be able to award a point for Roald Dahl, but while he
did shoot down a number of planes in World War II, none were Fokkers;
Fokker was a Dutch company and none of their planes saw action in
World War II on the Axis side (after the Germans captured the
Netherlands they used some of their parts in a few planes).

> 3. This 19th-century American entrepreneur and showman may think
> you're a sucker but will still help you exercise that bad knee.

P. T. Barnum

> 4. This American author of an iconic novel about teenagers was
> extremely reclusive for much of his life, which must have made it hard
> to practice law.

J. D. Salinger

> 5. This early 20th-century English author of upper-class humor may not
> be entirely suitable for children.

P. G. Wodehouse

Point taken about the "early," but the bulk of his best-known work was
published before 1950 as far as I can tell, so it's not entirely
wrong.

> 6. This 20th-century Swiss artist known for his bizarre biomechanical
> paintings and sculptures can explain your vacation policy to you.

H. R. Giger

> 7. This American musician known as "The King of the Blues" might shoot
> your eye out.

B. B. King

> 8. This Chinese-American architect might ping you on Facebook Chat or
> ICQ.

I. M. Pei

> 9. This 20th-century Dutch artist known for his tessellations also
> recorded a number of hip-hop tracks.

M. C. Escher

> 10. This 20th-century English author best known for his Napoleonic
> naval novels can explain how to construct a binary tree.

C. S. Forester

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Total
-------------------------------
Don 0 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 9
Mark 0 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 0 8
Dan 0 1 1 1 0 0 1 1 1 1 7
Gareth 0 0 1 1 1 0 1 1 1 1 7
Peter 0 0 1 0 1 0 1 1 1 1 6
Marc 0 0 1 1 1 0 1 1 1 0 6
Calvin 0 0 0 1 1 0 0 1 0 1 4

Mark Brader

Jul 11, 2017, 12:11:04 AM7/11/17
Dan Blum:
> Rotating Quiz #261 is over and Don Piven is the winner with a
> near-perfect score. He may now proceed to set RQ #262.

Well done, Don. (And Dan! Ding, dong!)

Since Dan didn't make it explicit, I'll explain the gimmick in case
anyone is still puzzled: part of each question actually had nothing
at all to do with the person being named, but instead hinted at a
phrase that might be abbreviated by their first-name initials.

> > 1. This Romantic composer, music critic, and author of "The Nutcracker
> > and the Mouse King" (among other fiction) can tell you when the flight
> > from Kaliningrad to Berlin is due to land.
>
> E. T. A. Hoffmann

Estimated time of arrival.

> > 2. This early 20th-century English author is these days best known for
> > his children's stories, but he shot down many a Fokker in his day.
>
> A. A. Milne

Anti-aircraft gun.

> > 3. This 19th-century American entrepreneur and showman may think
> > you're a sucker but will still help you exercise that bad knee.
>
> P. T. Barnum

Physical therapy, also called physiotherapy.

> > 4. This American author of an iconic novel about teenagers was
> > extremely reclusive for much of his life, which must have made it hard
> > to practice law.
>
> J. D. Salinger

Latin abbreviation for the Doctor of Laws degree, also called Bachelor
of Laws.

> > 5. This early 20th-century English author of upper-class humor may not
> > be entirely suitable for children.
>
> P. G. Wodehouse

Parental Guidance suggested -- US MPAA movie classification.

> > 6. This 20th-century Swiss artist known for his bizarre biomechanical
> > paintings and sculptures can explain your vacation policy to you.
>
> H. R. Giger

Human resources, also called the personnel department.

> > 7. This American musician known as "The King of the Blues" might shoot
> > your eye out.
>
> B. B. King

BB guns are air guns firing small shot; the phrase used refers to a
well-known story.

> > 8. This Chinese-American architect might ping you on Facebook Chat or
> > ICQ.
>
> I. M. Pei

Instant messaging.

> > 9. This 20th-century Dutch artist known for his tessellations also
> > recorded a number of hip-hop tracks.
>
> M. C. Escher

Reference to M. C. Hammer.

> > 10. This 20th-century English author best known for his Napoleonic
> > naval novels can explain how to construct a binary tree.
>
> C. S. Forester

Binary trees are a computer-science concept.

--
Mark Brader, Toronto, m...@vex.net
#define MSB(type) (~(((unsigned type)-1)>>1))

Calvin

Jul 11, 2017, 12:28:01 AM7/11/17
On Tuesday, July 11, 2017 at 1:16:40 PM UTC+10, Dan Blum wrote:
> Rotating Quiz #261 is over and Don Piven is the winner with a
> near-perfect score. He may now proceed to set RQ #262.

Thanks for all your trouble Dan. That was an *excellent* quiz.

cheers,
calvin

Dan Blum

Jul 11, 2017, 9:31:50 AM7/11/17
Thanks!

Dan Blum

Jul 11, 2017, 9:34:56 AM7/11/17
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:
> Dan Blum:
> > Rotating Quiz #261 is over and Don Piven is the winner with a
> > near-perfect score. He may now proceed to set RQ #262.

> Well done, Don. (And Dan! Ding, dong!)

> Since Dan didn't make it explicit, I'll explain the gimmick in case
> anyone is still puzzled: part of each question actually had nothing
> at all to do with the person being named, but instead hinted at a
> phrase that might be abbreviated by their first-name initials.

I knew I forgot something.

> > > 5. This early 20th-century English author of upper-class humor may not
> > > be entirely suitable for children.
> >
> > P. G. Wodehouse

> Parental Guidance suggested -- US MPAA movie classification.

Also used in the UK, I thought, or I probably wouldn't have included
it. I didn't use J. P. Morgan because although the US, Canada, and the
UK all have justices of the peace, their roles vary considerably from
country to country and from state to state in the US, so it was hard
to write a clue for that part.

> > > 9. This 20th-century Dutch artist known for his tessellations also
> > > recorded a number of hip-hop tracks.
> >
> > M. C. Escher

> Reference to M. C. Hammer.

There are lots of hip-hop artists that use "M. C." It may be from the
old "master of ceremonies" or it may not.