RQFTCI16 Game 6, Rounds 9-10: TV sets, the last round

Mark Brader

Sep 9, 2016, 12:39:16 AM9/9/16
These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2016-06-27,
and should be interpreted accordingly.

Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

All questions were written by members of the Usual Suspects and
are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
see my 2016-05-31 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

* Game 6, Round 9 - Entertainment - TV Sets

In this round we'll be showing you pictures of the sets of some
popular TV shows of the past few decades. Many of these sets
happen to be living rooms, where most of the interesting action
seems to take place.

For the first four questions, we'll give you the name of the show,
and you tell us the corresponding picture, which may be on either
page of the handout:

http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/6-9/sets.pdf

1. "Will and Grace".
2. "How I Met Your Mother".
3. "The Big Bang Theory".
4. "The Brady Bunch".

For the remainder of the round, as you expected, we'll just turn
things around: we'll give you the picture, you name the show.
Please decode the rot13 only after you have finished with the
above questions.

5. Cvpgher O.
6. Cvpgher P.
7. Cvpgher Q.
8. Cvpgher S.
9. Cvpgher W.
10. Cvpgher Y.

So there were 6 decoys. For these I'll go back to the first
mode and give you the titles; after completing the round, decode
the rot13 and identify the picture if you like for fun, but for
no points.

11. "Terl'f Nangbzl".
12. "Gur Jnygbaf".
13. "Gung '70f Fubj".
14. "Gur Fbcenabf".
15. "Frvasryq".
16. "Oernxvat Onq".

** Game 6, Round 10 - Challenge Round - The Last Round

This is the last round; the categories are Zaharias
["zuh-HAIR-ee-uss"], Zane, Z-Axis, Zhukov, Zoo, and Zorro;
and you know what to do.

* A. Zaharias (Sports)

A1. "Babe" Zaharias, who lived only from 1914 to 1956, was
a leading athlete in many sports. She was also known by
her maiden name; give the *correct spelling* of that name.

A2. What was Babe's real first name?

* B. Zane (Literature)

B1. The most popular of Zane Grey's western novels was a
1912 saga featuring a Mormon woman named Jane Withersteen.
The title is 5 words and mentions a certain color of plant.
Name that plant or give the full title.

B2. Zane Grey was born in a small city which, you won't be
surprised, was founded by a relative of his. Name the city
or the state.

* C. Z-Axis (Science)

C1. What is the simple name for the shape represented by the
equation x² + y² + z² = 100? We just need a one-word answer.

C2. Please answer the previous question before decoding the
rot13 for this one. Jung vf gur enqvhf bs gung fcurer?

* D. Zhukov (History)

D1. Georgy ["Gay-ORG-ee"] Zhukov was born in a village near
Moscow. Eventually he rose to play a leading role in his
country's war against *what enemy*?

D2. Please answer the previous question before decoding the
rot13 for this one. Jr pnyy vg n cneg bs Jbeyq Jne VV,
ohg gur Ehffvnaf unir gurve bja anzr sbe gurve jne ntnvafg
Anmv Treznal. Va Ratyvfu, jung vf gung anzr?

* E. Zoo (Geography)

E1. In what US city would you find the National Zoo?

E2. During the Cold War era, in what European city was Zoo
Station the primary terminus for long-distance trains?

* F. Zorro (Entertainment)

F1. What is the real name, or secret identity, of the famous
character generally known as Zorro?

F2. There have been two movies and one TV-movie in English with
the title "The Mark of Zorro". (Note, that's Mark with
an R.) Name *any one* of the three men who played Zorro
in them.

--
Mark Brader | "I was gratified to be able to answer promptly, and I did.
Toronto | I said I didn't know."

Joshua Kreitzer

Sep 9, 2016, 1:02:02 AM9/9/16
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:3vidneo65v1zoU_KnZ2dnUU7-
UPN...@giganews.com:

> * Game 6, Round 9 - Entertainment - TV Sets
>
> For the first four questions, we'll give you the name of the show,
> and you tell us the corresponding picture, which may be on either
> page of the handout:
>
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/6-9/sets.pdf
>
> 1. "Will and Grace".

> 2. "How I Met Your Mother".

> 3. "The Big Bang Theory".

> 4. "The Brady Bunch".

> For the remainder of the round, as you expected, we'll just turn
> things around: we'll give you the picture, you name the show.
> Please decode the rot13 only after you have finished with the
> above questions.
>
> 8. Cvpgher S.

"Frasier"

> So there were 6 decoys. For these I'll go back to the first
> mode and give you the titles; after completing the round, decode
> the rot13 and identify the picture if you like for fun, but for
> no points.
>
> 11. "Terl'f Nangbzl".

> 12. "Gur Jnygbaf".

> 13. "Gung '70f Fubj".

> 16. "Oernxvat Onq".

> ** Game 6, Round 10 - Challenge Round - The Last Round
>
> This is the last round; the categories are Zaharias
> ["zuh-HAIR-ee-uss"], Zane, Z-Axis, Zhukov, Zoo, and Zorro;
> and you know what to do.
>

> * A. Zaharias (Sports)
>
> A1. "Babe" Zaharias, who lived only from 1914 to 1956, was
> a leading athlete in many sports. She was also known by
> her maiden name; give the *correct spelling* of that name.

Didriksen; Didrikson

> * B. Zane (Literature)
>
> B1. The most popular of Zane Grey's western novels was a
> 1912 saga featuring a Mormon woman named Jane Withersteen.
> The title is 5 words and mentions a certain color of plant.
> Name that plant or give the full title.

"Riders of the Purple Sage"

> B2. Zane Grey was born in a small city which, you won't be
> surprised, was founded by a relative of his. Name the city
> or the state.

Zanesville

> * C. Z-Axis (Science)
>
> C1. What is the simple name for the shape represented by the
> equation x² + y² + z² = 100? We just need a one-word answer.

sphere

> C2. Please answer the previous question before decoding the
> rot13 for this one. Jung vf gur enqvhf bs gung fcurer?

10

> * D. Zhukov (History)
>
> D1. Georgy ["Gay-ORG-ee"] Zhukov was born in a village near
> Moscow. Eventually he rose to play a leading role in his
> country's war against *what enemy*?

Germany

> D2. Please answer the previous question before decoding the
> rot13 for this one. Jr pnyy vg n cneg bs Jbeyq Jne VV,
> ohg gur Ehffvnaf unir gurve bja anzr sbe gurve jne ntnvafg
> Anmv Treznal. Va Ratyvfu, jung vf gung anzr?

Great Patriotic War

> * E. Zoo (Geography)
>
> E1. In what US city would you find the National Zoo?

Washington

> E2. During the Cold War era, in what European city was Zoo
> Station the primary terminus for long-distance trains?

Berlin

> * F. Zorro (Entertainment)
>
> F1. What is the real name, or secret identity, of the famous
> character generally known as Zorro?

Don Diego de la Vega

> F2. There have been two movies and one TV-movie in English with
> the title "The Mark of Zorro". (Note, that's Mark with
> an R.) Name *any one* of the three men who played Zorro
> in them.

Antonio Banderas

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

Dan Blum

Sep 9, 2016, 9:48:09 AM9/9/16
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 6, Round 9 - Entertainment - TV Sets

> 1. "Will and Grace".

P; I

> 2. "How I Met Your Mother".

H; A

> 3. "The Big Bang Theory".

> 4. "The Brady Bunch".

> 8. Cvpgher S.

Frasier

> 10. Cvpgher Y.

Mad Men

> ** Game 6, Round 10 - Challenge Round - The Last Round

> * A. Zaharias (Sports)

> A1. "Babe" Zaharias, who lived only from 1914 to 1956, was
> a leading athlete in many sports. She was also known by
> her maiden name; give the *correct spelling* of that name.

Didrikson

> * B. Zane (Literature)

> B1. The most popular of Zane Grey's western novels was a
> 1912 saga featuring a Mormon woman named Jane Withersteen.
> The title is 5 words and mentions a certain color of plant.
> Name that plant or give the full title.

Riders of the Purple Sage

> B2. Zane Grey was born in a small city which, you won't be
> surprised, was founded by a relative of his. Name the city
> or the state.

Zanesville

> * C. Z-Axis (Science)

> C1. What is the simple name for the shape represented by the
> equation x? + y? + z? = 100? We just need a one-word answer.

sphere

> C2. Please answer the previous question before decoding the
> rot13 for this one. Jung vf gur enqvhf bs gung fcurer?

10

> * D. Zhukov (History)

> D1. Georgy ["Gay-ORG-ee"] Zhukov was born in a village near
> Moscow. Eventually he rose to play a leading role in his
> country's war against *what enemy*?

Nazi Germany

> D2. Please answer the previous question before decoding the
> rot13 for this one. Jr pnyy vg n cneg bs Jbeyq Jne VV,
> ohg gur Ehffvnaf unir gurve bja anzr sbe gurve jne ntnvafg
> Anmv Treznal. Va Ratyvfu, jung vf gung anzr?

Great Patriotic War

> * E. Zoo (Geography)

> E1. In what US city would you find the National Zoo?

Washington DC

> E2. During the Cold War era, in what European city was Zoo
> Station the primary terminus for long-distance trains?

West Berlin

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Erland Sommarskog

Sep 9, 2016, 12:24:40 PM9/9/16
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> C1. What is the simple name for the shape represented by the
> equation x² + y² + z² = 100? We just need a one-word answer.

Ellipsoid

> D1. Georgy ["Gay-ORG-ee"] Zhukov was born in a village near
> Moscow. Eventually he rose to play a leading role in his
> country's war against *what enemy*?

Germany

> D2. Please answer the previous question before decoding the
> rot13 for this one. Jr pnyy vg n cneg bs Jbeyq Jne VV,
> ohg gur Ehffvnaf unir gurve bja anzr sbe gurve jne ntnvafg
> Anmv Treznal. Va Ratyvfu, jung vf gung anzr?

The Great Patroitic War

> * E. Zoo (Geography)
>
> E1. In what US city would you find the National Zoo?

Washington DC?

> E2. During the Cold War era, in what European city was Zoo
> Station the primary terminus for long-distance trains?

(West) Berlin

> F1. What is the real name, or secret identity, of the famous
> character generally known as Zorro?

Mark Brader; Stephen W Perry

> F2. There have been two movies and one TV-movie in English with
> the title "The Mark of Zorro". (Note, that's Mark with
> an R.) Name *any one* of the three men who played Zorro
> in them.

Mark without an R???

Peter Smyth

Sep 9, 2016, 1:21:12 PM9/9/16
> 4. "The Brady Bunch".
>
> For the remainder of the round, as you expected, we'll just turn
> things around: we'll give you the picture, you name the show.
> Please decode the rot13 only after you have finished with the
> above questions.
>
> 5. Picture B.
> 6. Picture C.
> 7. Picture D.
Coronation Street
> 8. Picture F.
Frasier
> 9. Picture J.
> 10. Picture L.
>
> So there were 6 decoys. For these I'll go back to the first
> mode and give you the titles; after completing the round, decode
> the rot13 and identify the picture if you like for fun, but for
> no points.
>
> 11. "Grey's Anatomy".
> 12. "The Waltons".
> 13. "That '70s Show".
> 14. "The Sopranos".
> 15. "Seinfeld".
> 16. "Breaking Bad".
>

> ** Game 6, Round 10 - Challenge Round - The Last Round
>
> This is the last round; the categories are Zaharias
> ["zuh-HAIR-ee-uss"], Zane, Z-Axis, Zhukov, Zoo, and Zorro;
> and you know what to do.
>

> * A. Zaharias (Sports)
>
> A1. "Babe" Zaharias, who lived only from 1914 to 1956, was
> a leading athlete in many sports. She was also known by
> her maiden name; give the *correct spelling* of that name.
Didrikson
> A2. What was Babe's real first name?
Mildred

> * B. Zane (Literature)
>
> B1. The most popular of Zane Grey's western novels was a
> 1912 saga featuring a Mormon woman named Jane Withersteen.
> The title is 5 words and mentions a certain color of plant.
> Name that plant or give the full title.
>
> B2. Zane Grey was born in a small city which, you won't be
> surprised, was founded by a relative of his. Name the city
> or the state.
Utah

> * C. Z-Axis (Science)
>
> C1. What is the simple name for the shape represented by the
> equation x² + y² + z² = 100? We just need a one-word answer.
Sphere
> C2. Please answer the previous question before decoding the
> rot13 for this one. What is the radius of that sphere?
10

> * D. Zhukov (History)
>
> D1. Georgy ["Gay-ORG-ee"] Zhukov was born in a village near
> Moscow. Eventually he rose to play a leading role in his
> country's war against *what enemy*?
Germany
> D2. Please answer the previous question before decoding the
> rot13 for this one. We call it a part of World War II,
> but the Russians have their own name for their war against
> Nazi Germany. In English, what is that name?
Eastern Front

> * E. Zoo (Geography)
>
> E1. In what US city would you find the National Zoo?
Washington
> E2. During the Cold War era, in what European city was Zoo
> Station the primary terminus for long-distance trains?
Berlin

> * F. Zorro (Entertainment)
>
> F1. What is the real name, or secret identity, of the famous
> character generally known as Zorro?
>
> F2. There have been two movies and one TV-movie in English with
> the title "The Mark of Zorro". (Note, that's Mark with
> an R.) Name *any one* of the three men who played Zorro
> in them.
Banderas

Peter Smyth

Marc Dashevsky

Sep 9, 2016, 1:47:36 PM9/9/16
In article <3vidneo65v1zoU_K...@giganews.com>, m...@vex.net says...
> * Game 6, Round 9 - Entertainment - TV Sets
>
> In this round we'll be showing you pictures of the sets of some
> popular TV shows of the past few decades. Many of these sets
> happen to be living rooms, where most of the interesting action
> seems to take place.
>
> For the first four questions, we'll give you the name of the show,
> and you tell us the corresponding picture, which may be on either
> page of the handout:
>
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/6-9/sets.pdf
>
> 1. "Will and Grace".
> 2. "How I Met Your Mother".
> 3. "The Big Bang Theory".
> 4. "The Brady Bunch".

> For the remainder of the round, as you expected, we'll just turn
> things around: we'll give you the picture, you name the show.
> Please decode the rot13 only after you have finished with the
> above questions.
>
> 5. Picture B.
All In The Family

> 6. Picture C.
Orange Is The New Black

> 7. Picture D.
> 8. Picture F.
Frasier

.
> 13. "That '70s Show".

> 14. "The Sopranos".
> 15. "Seinfeld".

> 16. "Breaking Bad".

> ** Game 6, Round 10 - Challenge Round - The Last Round
>
> This is the last round; the categories are Zaharias
> ["zuh-HAIR-ee-uss"], Zane, Z-Axis, Zhukov, Zoo, and Zorro;
> and you know what to do.
>

> * A. Zaharias (Sports)
>
> A1. "Babe" Zaharias, who lived only from 1914 to 1956, was
> a leading athlete in many sports. She was also known by
> her maiden name; give the *correct spelling* of that name.
Diedrikson

> A2. What was Babe's real first name?
>

> * B. Zane (Literature)
>
> B1. The most popular of Zane Grey's western novels was a
> 1912 saga featuring a Mormon woman named Jane Withersteen.
> The title is 5 words and mentions a certain color of plant.
> Name that plant or give the full title.
Riders Of The Purple Sage

> B2. Zane Grey was born in a small city which, you won't be
> surprised, was founded by a relative of his. Name the city
> or the state.
>

> * C. Z-Axis (Science)
>
> C1. What is the simple name for the shape represented by the
> equation x² + y² + z² = 100? We just need a one-word answer.
sphere

> C2. What is the radius of that sphere?
100

> * D. Zhukov (History)
>
> D1. Georgy ["Gay-ORG-ee"] Zhukov was born in a village near
> Moscow. Eventually he rose to play a leading role in his
> country's war against *what enemy*?
Nazi Germany

> D2. We call it a part of World War II,
> but the Russians have their own name for their war against
> Nazi Germany. In English, what is that name?
>

> * E. Zoo (Geography)
>
> E1. In what US city would you find the National Zoo?
Washington DC

> E2. During the Cold War era, in what European city was Zoo
> Station the primary terminus for long-distance trains?
>

> * F. Zorro (Entertainment)
>
> F1. What is the real name, or secret identity, of the famous
> character generally known as Zorro?
>
> F2. There have been two movies and one TV-movie in English with
> the title "The Mark of Zorro". (Note, that's Mark with
> an R.) Name *any one* of the three men who played Zorro
> in them.

Pete

Sep 9, 2016, 5:40:35 PM9/9/16
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:3vidneo65v1zoU_KnZ2dnUU7-
UPN...@giganews.com:

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2016-06-27,

> Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of the Usual Suspects and
> are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
> have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
> see my 2016-05-31 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 6, Round 9 - Entertainment - TV Sets
>
> In this round we'll be showing you pictures of the sets of some
> popular TV shows of the past few decades. Many of these sets
> happen to be living rooms, where most of the interesting action
> seems to take place.
>
> For the first four questions, we'll give you the name of the show,
> and you tell us the corresponding picture, which may be on either
> page of the handout:
>
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/6-9/sets.pdf
>
> 1. "Will and Grace".

L; P

> 2. "How I Met Your Mother".
> 3. "The Big Bang Theory".

> 4. "The Brady Bunch".

> For the remainder of the round, as you expected, we'll just turn
> things around: we'll give you the picture, you name the show.
> Please decode the rot13 only after you have finished with the
> above questions.
>
> 5. Cvpgher O.

All In The Family

> 6. Cvpgher P.

Gomer Pyle, USMC

> 7. Cvpgher Q.
> 8. Cvpgher S.

Frasier

> 9. Cvpgher W.

Downton Abbey

> 10. Cvpgher Y.
>
> So there were 6 decoys. For these I'll go back to the first
> mode and give you the titles; after completing the round, decode
> the rot13 and identify the picture if you like for fun, but for
> no points.
>
> 11. "Terl'f Nangbzl".
> 12. "Gur Jnygbaf".

> 13. "Gung '70f Fubj".
> 14. "Gur Fbcenabf".
> 15. "Frvasryq".

> 16. "Oernxvat Onq".

> ** Game 6, Round 10 - Challenge Round - The Last Round
>
> This is the last round; the categories are Zaharias
> ["zuh-HAIR-ee-uss"], Zane, Z-Axis, Zhukov, Zoo, and Zorro;
> and you know what to do.
>

> * A. Zaharias (Sports)
>
> A1. "Babe" Zaharias, who lived only from 1914 to 1956, was
> a leading athlete in many sports. She was also known by
> her maiden name; give the *correct spelling* of that name.

Didrickson

> A2. What was Babe's real first name?
>

> * B. Zane (Literature)
>
> B1. The most popular of Zane Grey's western novels was a
> 1912 saga featuring a Mormon woman named Jane Withersteen.
> The title is 5 words and mentions a certain color of plant.
> Name that plant or give the full title.
>
> B2. Zane Grey was born in a small city which, you won't be
> surprised, was founded by a relative of his. Name the city
> or the state.

Nevada

> * C. Z-Axis (Science)
>
> C1. What is the simple name for the shape represented by the
> equation x² + y² + z² = 100? We just need a one-word answer.

Sphere

> C2. Please answer the previous question before decoding the
> rot13 for this one. Jung vf gur enqvhf bs gung fcurer?
>

> * D. Zhukov (History)
>
> D1. Georgy ["Gay-ORG-ee"] Zhukov was born in a village near
> Moscow. Eventually he rose to play a leading role in his
> country's war against *what enemy*?

Germany

> D2. Please answer the previous question before decoding the
> rot13 for this one. Jr pnyy vg n cneg bs Jbeyq Jne VV,
> ohg gur Ehffvnaf unir gurve bja anzr sbe gurve jne ntnvafg
> Anmv Treznal. Va Ratyvfu, jung vf gung anzr?

The Great Patriotic War

> * E. Zoo (Geography)
>
> E1. In what US city would you find the National Zoo?

Washington, DC

> E2. During the Cold War era, in what European city was Zoo
> Station the primary terminus for long-distance trains?

East Berlin

> * F. Zorro (Entertainment)
>
> F1. What is the real name, or secret identity, of the famous
> character generally known as Zorro?
>
> F2. There have been two movies and one TV-movie in English with
> the title "The Mark of Zorro". (Note, that's Mark with
> an R.) Name *any one* of the three men who played Zorro
> in them.

Guy Williams

Pete Gayde

swp

Sep 9, 2016, 8:00:16 PM9/9/16
On Friday, September 9, 2016 at 12:39:16 AM UTC-4, Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2016-06-27,
> and should be interpreted accordingly.

noted

> * Game 6, Round 9 - Entertainment - TV Sets
>
> 1. "Will and Grace".

> 2. "How I Met Your Mother".

> 3. "The Big Bang Theory".

> 4. "The Brady Bunch".

> For the remainder of the round, as you expected, we'll just turn
> things around: we'll give you the picture, you name the show.
> Please decode the rot13 only after you have finished with the
> above questions.
>
> 5. Picture B.

all in the family

> 6. Picture C.

orange is the new black

> 7. Picture D.

sesame street

> 8. Picture F.

frasier

> 9. Picture J.

downton abbey

> 10. Picture L.

mad men

> So there were 6 decoys. For these I'll go back to the first
> mode and give you the titles; after completing the round, decode
> the rot13 and identify the picture if you like for fun, but for
> no points.
>
> 11. "Grey's Anatomy".

> 12. "The Waltons".

> 13. "That '70s Show".

> 14. "The Sopranos".

eh, fug-ged-a-bou-did

> 15. "Seinfeld".

you left out the superman figurine

> 16. "Breaking Bad".

> ** Game 6, Round 10 - Challenge Round - The Last Round
>
> This is the last round; the categories are Zaharias
> ["zuh-HAIR-ee-uss"], Zane, Z-Axis, Zhukov, Zoo, and Zorro;
> and you know what to do.
>

> * A. Zaharias (Sports)
>
> A1. "Babe" Zaharias, who lived only from 1914 to 1956, was
> a leading athlete in many sports. She was also known by
> her maiden name; give the *correct spelling* of that name.

didrikson

> A2. What was Babe's real first name?

mildred

> * B. Zane (Literature)
>
> B1. The most popular of Zane Grey's western novels was a
> 1912 saga featuring a Mormon woman named Jane Withersteen.
> The title is 5 words and mentions a certain color of plant.
> Name that plant or give the full title.

riders of the purple sage

> B2. Zane Grey was born in a small city which, you won't be
> surprised, was founded by a relative of his. Name the city
> or the state.

ohio

> * C. Z-Axis (Science)
>
> C1. What is the simple name for the shape represented by the
> equation x² + y² + z² = 100? We just need a one-word answer.

sphere

> C2. Please answer the previous question before decoding the
> rot13 for this one. What is the radius of that sphere?

10

> * D. Zhukov (History)
>
> D1. Georgy ["Gay-ORG-ee"] Zhukov was born in a village near
> Moscow. Eventually he rose to play a leading role in his
> country's war against *what enemy*?

nazi germany

> D2. Please answer the previous question before decoding the
> rot13 for this one. We call it a part of World War II,
> but the Russians have their own name for their war against
> Nazi Germany. In English, what is that name?

the great patriotic war

> * E. Zoo (Geography)
>
> E1. In what US city would you find the National Zoo?

washington, d.c.

> E2. During the Cold War era, in what European city was Zoo
> Station the primary terminus for long-distance trains?

berlin

> * F. Zorro (Entertainment)
>
> F1. What is the real name, or secret identity, of the famous
> character generally known as Zorro?

diego de la vega

> F2. There have been two movies and one TV-movie in English with
> the title "The Mark of Zorro". (Note, that's Mark with
> an R.) Name *any one* of the three men who played Zorro
> in them.

antonio banderas

swp

Jason Kreitzer

Sep 9, 2016, 10:42:47 PM9/9/16
On Friday, September 9, 2016 at 12:39:16 AM UTC-4, Mark Brader wrote:
> 4. "The Brady Bunch".
Hitler
> D2. Please answer the previous question before decoding the
> rot13 for this one. Jr pnyy vg n cneg bs Jbeyq Jne VV,
> ohg gur Ehffvnaf unir gurve bja anzr sbe gurve jne ntnvafg
> Anmv Treznal. Va Ratyvfu, jung vf gung anzr?
We call it a part of World War II,
> but the Russians have their own name for their war against
> Nazi Germany. In English, what is that name?
The Great Patriotic War
> * E. Zoo (Geography)
>
> E1. In what US city would you find the National Zoo?
Washington DC

Dan Tilque

Sep 10, 2016, 4:46:29 AM9/10/16
Riders of the Purple Sage

> B2. Zane Grey was born in a small city which, you won't be
> surprised, was founded by a relative of his. Name the city
> or the state.

Zanesville

--
Dan Tilque

Mark Brader

Sep 12, 2016, 12:44:38 AM9/12/16
Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2016-06-27,
> see my 2016-05-31 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

Game 6 is over and STEPHEN PERRY wins -- the hard way, and by the
narrowest possible margin! Hearty congratulations, unless there
was an error affecting this result!

I meant to say before, I wrote one of these rounds. Specifically,
I wrote the challenge round so that I could ask question E2.

> * Game 6, Round 9 - Entertainment - TV Sets

> In this round we'll be showing you pictures of the sets of some
> popular TV shows of the past few decades. Many of these sets
> happen to be living rooms, where most of the interesting action
> seems to take place.

This was the easiest round in the original game.

> For the first four questions, we'll give you the name of the show,
> and you tell us the corresponding picture, which may be on either
> page of the handout:

> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/6-9/sets.pdf

> 1. "Will and Grace".

O. 4 for Joshua and Stephen.

> 2. "How I Met Your Mother".

P. 4 for Stephen.

> 3. "The Big Bang Theory".

E. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, Peter, Pete, Stephen, and Jason.

> 4. "The Brady Bunch".

M. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, Marc, Pete, Stephen, and Jason.

> For the remainder of the round, as you expected, we'll just turn
> things around: we'll give you the picture, you name the show.
> Please decode the rot13 only after you have finished with the
> above questions.

> 5. Picture B.

"All in the Family". 4 for Marc, Pete, and Stephen.

> 6. Picture C.

"Orange is the New Black". 4 for Marc and Stephen.

> 7. Picture D.

"Coronation Street". 4 for Peter.

> 8. Picture F.

"Frasier". 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, Peter, Marc, Pete, and Stephen.

> 9. Picture J.

"Downton Abbey". 4 for Pete and Stephen.

> 10. Picture L.

"Mad Men". 4 for Dan Blum and Stephen.

> So there were 6 decoys. For these I'll go back to the first
> mode and give you the titles; after completing the round, decode
> the rot13 and identify the picture if you like for fun, but for
> no points.

> 11. "Grey's Anatomy".

N. Joshua, Peter, Marc, and Stephen got this.

> 12. "The Waltons".

A. Joshua, Marc, Pete, and Stephen got this.

> 13. "That '70s Show".

G. Joshua, Marc, and Stephen got this.

> 14. "The Sopranos".

I. 4 for Peter.

> 15. "Seinfeld".

H. Peter, Marc, and Pete got this.

> 16. "Breaking Bad".

K. Joshua, Peter, Marc, Pete, and Stephen got this.

> ** Game 6, Round 10 - Challenge Round - The Last Round

> This is the last round; the categories are Zaharias
> ["zuh-HAIR-ee-uss"], Zane, Z-Axis, Zhukov, Zoo, and Zorro;
> and you know what to do.

> * A. Zaharias (Sports)

> A1. "Babe" Zaharias, who lived only from 1914 to 1956, was
> a leading athlete in many sports. She was also known by
> her maiden name; give the *correct spelling* of that name.

Didrikson. 4 for Dan Blum, Peter, and Stephen. 2 for Joshua.

> A2. What was Babe's real first name?

Mildred. 4 for Peter and Stephen.

> * B. Zane (Literature)

Zane Grey was also the subject of a question on "Jeopardy!" on
2016-07-11. The weird thing is that on the same episode they also
asked about P.T. Barnum, who came up in an audio question we used
in Game 8, played the *same day*; and they *also* asked about the
Spanish Civil War starting in Morocco, which we asked about in Game 2;
and on top of *that*, the winner of that day's game was a guy named
Jason George, and one of the pubs where our league plays is named
the Jason George!

> B1. The most popular of Zane Grey's western novels was a
> 1912 saga featuring a Mormon woman named Jane Withersteen.
> The title is 5 words and mentions a certain color of plant.
> Name that plant or give the full title.

("Riders of the...") Purple Sage. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, Marc,
Stephen, and Dan Tilque.

> B2. Zane Grey was born in a small city which, you won't be
> surprised, was founded by a relative of his. Name the city
> or the state.

Zanesville, Ohio. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, Stephen, and Dan Tilque.

> * C. Z-Axis (Science)

> C1. What is the simple name for the shape represented by the
> equation x² + y² + z² = 100? We just need a one-word answer.

Sphere. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, Peter, Marc, Pete, Stephen,
and Dan Tilque. 3 for Erland.

I scored "ellipsoid" as almost correct. A sphere *is* an ellipsoid,
but that's not really as simple a name as "sphere", being derived
from the more basic term "ellipse".

> C2. Please answer the previous question before decoding the
> rot13 for this one. What is the radius of that sphere?

10. (Also generously accepting 10 of any particular unit, e.g.
10 cm). 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, Peter, Stephen, and Dan Tilque.

> * D. Zhukov (History)

> D1. Georgy ["Gay-ORG-ee"] Zhukov was born in a village near
> Moscow. Eventually he rose to play a leading role in his
> country's war against *what enemy*?

(Nazi) Germany. 4 for everyone -- Joshua, Dan Blum, Erland, Peter,
Marc, Pete, Stephen, Jason, and Dan Tilque.

> D2. Please answer the previous question before decoding the
> rot13 for this one. We call it a part of World War II,
> but the Russians have their own name for their war against
> Nazi Germany. In English, what is that name?

Great Patriotic War. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, Pete, Stephen, Jason,
Dan Tilque, and Erland.

> * E. Zoo (Geography)

> E1. In what US city would you find the National Zoo?

Washington. 4 for everyone.

> E2. During the Cold War era, in what European city was Zoo
> Station the primary terminus for long-distance trains?

West Berlin. "West" was not required, but East Berlin was wrong.
4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, Erland, Peter, Stephen, and Dan Tilque.

> * F. Zorro (Entertainment)

> F1. What is the real name, or secret identity, of the famous
> character generally known as Zorro?

Don Diego de la Vega (accepting Diego or Vega). 4 for Joshua
and Stephen.

> F2. There have been two movies and one TV-movie in English with
> the title "The Mark of Zorro". (Note, that's Mark with
> an R.) Name *any one* of the three men who played Zorro
> in them.

Douglas Fairbanks Sr. in 1920, Tyrone Power in 1940, Frank Langella
["lang-JELL-uh"] in 1974.

The 1998 movie with Anthony Hopkins and Antonio Banderas was "The
Mask of Zorro", with an S (now you know, Erland), and Guy Williams
played Zorro in a TV series (it ran 1957-61), not a movie or TV-movie.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 6 ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 6 7 8 9 10 BEST
TOPICS-> Sci Mis Lit Spo Geo His Ent Cha SIX
Stephen Perry 40 36 -- -- -- -- 36 44 156
Dan Blum 36 16 16 24 6 27 16 36 155
Joshua Kreitzer 20 28 16 20 12 20 16 38 142
Dan Tilque 40 8 0 20 12 12 0 32 124
Marc Dashevsky 36 20 8 20 4 4 16 16 116
Peter Smyth 32 8 -- -- 0 20 16 28 104
Pete Gayde 16 16 4 8 20 4 20 16 96
Erland Sommarskog 28 0 0 8 12 12 0 19 79
"Calvin" 35 12 0 12 0 16 -- -- 75
Bruce Bowler 36 0 0 20 -- -- -- -- 56
Jason Kreitzer 0 8 0 0 0 0 8 12 28
Björn Lundin 24 0 0 0 -- -- -- -- 24

--
Mark Brader | ...politicians are forever seeking a "level playing field":
Toronto | it lets them talk out of both sides of their mouth.