QFTCI5EP Game 2, Rounds 9-10: Kingnagrams, challenge

Mark Brader

May 16, 2017, 4:37:36 AM5/16/17
These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2017-01-23,
and should be interpreted accordingly.

Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

All questions were written by members of 5 Easy Pieces and are
used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information see
my 2016-11-26 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

** Game 2, Round 9 - Literature - Steven King Title Anagrams

Each of the following anagrams can be unscrambled into the the name
of a Stephen King novel or a short story that has been adapted for
the screen, either film or as TV-movies; in one case, the anagram
is of the movie title. We'll provide the number of words in the
title -- you name it.

1. Two words: OMLASTELS.
2. Two words: NIGHTHINES.
3. Two words: TRAMPEYEAST.
4. Two words: SHEETINGFLUND.
5. Three words: HUNTINGMANNER.
6. Two words: SHATTEND.
7. One word: NICERSHIT.
8. One word: SYMIRE.
9. One word: CHOPSWERE.
10. One word: STRAITFREER.

** Game 2, Round 10 - Challenge Round

* A. European Union

A1. What is the official anthem of the European Union?
A2. In what year was the EU formed?

* B. Glands

B1. This gland, often referred to as the master gland of the
body, is located at the base of the hypothalamus and is
about the size of a pea. It produces many hormones that
control other glands and body functions, including growth.

B2. This small endocrine gland, referred to as the "third eye",
produces melatonin, which affects the modulation of
wake/sleep patterns.

* C. Treaties

Which war was ended by the...

C1. Treaty of Portsmouth?
C2. Treaty or Peace of Westphalia?

* D. African Capitals

What is the current capital city of...

D1. Burkina Faso?
D2. Namibia?

* E. Billiards

E1. Including the cue ball, how many balls are on the table at
the start of a snooker game?

E2. What term is usually used to refer to sidespin (and sometimes
to any type of spin) is applied to the cue ball?

* F. Art Gallery of Ontario Exhibitions

F1. What is the title of the current AGO exhibition running
until February 2017 that features masterpieces by Claude
Monet and Vincent van Gogh?

F2. In April 2017, the AGO will present a major retrospective
of which pioneering American modernist painter (1887-1986),
featuring over 100 works of art. The show will definitely
include several representations and abstractions of flowers.

--
Mark Brader | "And so it went. Tens of thousands of messages,
Toronto | hundreds of points of view. It was not called the

Dan Blum

May 16, 2017, 8:32:00 AM5/16/17
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> ** Game 2, Round 9 - Literature - Steven King Title Anagrams

> 1. Two words: OMLASTELS.

Salems Lot

> 2. Two words: NIGHTHINES.

The Shining

> 5. Three words: HUNTINGMANNER.

The Running Man

> 6. Two words: SHATTEND.

The Stand

> 7. One word: NICERSHIT.

Christine

> 8. One word: SYMIRE.

Misery

> 10. One word: STRAITFREER.

Firestarter

> ** Game 2, Round 10 - Challenge Round

> * A. European Union

> A2. In what year was the EU formed?

1956; 1964

> * B. Glands

> B1. This gland, often referred to as the master gland of the
> body, is located at the base of the hypothalamus and is
> about the size of a pea. It produces many hormones that
> control other glands and body functions, including growth.

pituitary

> B2. This small endocrine gland, referred to as the "third eye",
> produces melatonin, which affects the modulation of
> wake/sleep patterns.

thymus

> * C. Treaties

> Which war was ended by the...

> C2. Treaty or Peace of Westphalia?

Thirty Years' War

> * D. African Capitals

> D1. Burkina Faso?

Ouagodougou

> D2. Namibia?

Windhoek

> * E. Billiards

> E1. Including the cue ball, how many balls are on the table at
> the start of a snooker game?

16

> E2. What term is usually used to refer to sidespin (and sometimes
> to any type of spin) is applied to the cue ball?

English

> * F. Art Gallery of Ontario Exhibitions

> F2. In April 2017, the AGO will present a major retrospective
> of which pioneering American modernist painter (1887-1986),
> featuring over 100 works of art. The show will definitely
> include several representations and abstractions of flowers.

Georgia O'Keefe

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Joshua Kreitzer

May 16, 2017, 9:17:48 AM5/16/17
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:P-Sdnc7Sp6HWJ4fEnZ2dnUU7-
fXN...@giganews.com:

> ** Game 2, Round 9 - Literature - Steven King Title Anagrams
>
> Each of the following anagrams can be unscrambled into the the name
> of a Stephen King novel or a short story that has been adapted for
> the screen, either film or as TV-movies; in one case, the anagram
> is of the movie title. We'll provide the number of words in the
> title -- you name it.
>
> 1. Two words: OMLASTELS.

Salem's Lot

> 2. Two words: NIGHTHINES.

The Shining

> 5. Three words: HUNTINGMANNER.

The Running Man

> 6. Two words: SHATTEND.

The Stand

> 7. One word: NICERSHIT.

Christine

> 8. One word: SYMIRE.

Misery

> 10. One word: STRAITFREER.

Firestarter

> ** Game 2, Round 10 - Challenge Round
>
> * A. European Union
>
> A1. What is the official anthem of the European Union?

"Ode to Joy"

> A2. In what year was the EU formed?

1992; 1993

> * B. Glands
>
> B1. This gland, often referred to as the master gland of the
> body, is located at the base of the hypothalamus and is
> about the size of a pea. It produces many hormones that
> control other glands and body functions, including growth.

pituitary gland

> B2. This small endocrine gland, referred to as the "third eye",
> produces melatonin, which affects the modulation of
> wake/sleep patterns.

pineal gland

> * C. Treaties
>
> Which war was ended by the...
>
> C1. Treaty of Portsmouth?

Russo-Japanese War

> C2. Treaty or Peace of Westphalia?

Thirty Years' War

> * D. African Capitals
>
> What is the current capital city of...
>
> D1. Burkina Faso?

Ouagadougou

> D2. Namibia?

Windhoek

> * E. Billiards
>
> E1. Including the cue ball, how many balls are on the table at
> the start of a snooker game?

16

> E2. What term is usually used to refer to sidespin (and sometimes
> to any type of spin) is applied to the cue ball?

english

> * F. Art Gallery of Ontario Exhibitions
>
> F2. In April 2017, the AGO will present a major retrospective
> of which pioneering American modernist painter (1887-1986),
> featuring over 100 works of art. The show will definitely
> include several representations and abstractions of flowers.

Georgia O'Keeffe

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

Marc Dashevsky

May 16, 2017, 12:35:35 PM5/16/17
In article <P-Sdnc7Sp6HWJ4fE...@giganews.com>, m...@vex.net says...
> ** Game 2, Round 9 - Literature - Steven King Title Anagrams
>
> Each of the following anagrams can be unscrambled into the the name
> of a Stephen King novel or a short story that has been adapted for
> the screen, either film or as TV-movies; in one case, the anagram
> is of the movie title. We'll provide the number of words in the
> title -- you name it.
>
> 1. Two words: OMLASTELS.
> 2. Two words: NIGHTHINES.
The Shining

> 3. Two words: TRAMPEYEAST.
Pet Semetary

> 4. Two words: SHEETINGFLUND.
> 5. Three words: HUNTINGMANNER.
> 6. Two words: SHATTEND.
> 7. One word: NICERSHIT.
> 8. One word: SYMIRE.
Misery

> 9. One word: CHOPSWERE.
> 10. One word: STRAITFREER.
>

> ** Game 2, Round 10 - Challenge Round
>
> * A. European Union
>
> A1. What is the official anthem of the European Union?
> A2. In what year was the EU formed?
>

> * B. Glands
>
> B1. This gland, often referred to as the master gland of the
> body, is located at the base of the hypothalamus and is
> about the size of a pea. It produces many hormones that
> control other glands and body functions, including growth.
pituitary

> B2. This small endocrine gland, referred to as the "third eye",
> produces melatonin, which affects the modulation of
> wake/sleep patterns.
pineal

> * C. Treaties
>
> Which war was ended by the...
>
> C1. Treaty of Portsmouth?
> C2. Treaty or Peace of Westphalia?
>

> * D. African Capitals
>
> What is the current capital city of...
>
> D1. Burkina Faso?
> D2. Namibia?
>

> * E. Billiards
>
> E1. Including the cue ball, how many balls are on the table at
> the start of a snooker game?
>
> E2. What term is usually used to refer to sidespin (and sometimes
> to any type of spin) is applied to the cue ball?
English

> * F. Art Gallery of Ontario Exhibitions
>
> F1. What is the title of the current AGO exhibition running
> until February 2017 that features masterpieces by Claude
> Monet and Vincent van Gogh?
>
> F2. In April 2017, the AGO will present a major retrospective
> of which pioneering American modernist painter (1887-1986),
> featuring over 100 works of art. The show will definitely
> include several representations and abstractions of flowers.

Pete Gayde

May 16, 2017, 1:34:26 PM5/16/17
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:P-Sdnc7Sp6HWJ4fEnZ2dnUU7-
fXN...@giganews.com:

Misery

> 9. One word: CHOPSWERE.
> 10. One word: STRAITFREER.
>

> ** Game 2, Round 10 - Challenge Round
>
> * A. European Union
>
> A1. What is the official anthem of the European Union?
> A2. In what year was the EU formed?

1948; 1949

> * B. Glands
>
> B1. This gland, often referred to as the master gland of the
> body, is located at the base of the hypothalamus and is
> about the size of a pea. It produces many hormones that
> control other glands and body functions, including growth.

Pituitary

> B2. This small endocrine gland, referred to as the "third eye",
> produces melatonin, which affects the modulation of
> wake/sleep patterns.
>

> * C. Treaties
>
> Which war was ended by the...
>
> C1. Treaty of Portsmouth?
> C2. Treaty or Peace of Westphalia?
>

> * D. African Capitals
>
> What is the current capital city of...
>
> D1. Burkina Faso?

Ouagadougou

> D2. Namibia?

Windhoek

> * E. Billiards
>
> E1. Including the cue ball, how many balls are on the table at
> the start of a snooker game?

17

> E2. What term is usually used to refer to sidespin (and sometimes
> to any type of spin) is applied to the cue ball?

English

> * F. Art Gallery of Ontario Exhibitions
>
> F1. What is the title of the current AGO exhibition running
> until February 2017 that features masterpieces by Claude
> Monet and Vincent van Gogh?
>
> F2. In April 2017, the AGO will present a major retrospective
> of which pioneering American modernist painter (1887-1986),
> featuring over 100 works of art. The show will definitely
> include several representations and abstractions of flowers.

Pete Gayde

Peter Smyth

May 16, 2017, 3:17:52 PM5/16/17
Mark Brader wrote:

> ** Game 2, Round 10 - Challenge Round
>
> * A. European Union
>
> A1. What is the official anthem of the European Union?
Ode to Joy
> A2. In what year was the EU formed?
1993, 1994

> * B. Glands
>
> B1. This gland, often referred to as the master gland of the
> body, is located at the base of the hypothalamus and is
> about the size of a pea. It produces many hormones that
> control other glands and body functions, including growth.
Pituatary
> B2. This small endocrine gland, referred to as the "third eye",
> produces melatonin, which affects the modulation of
> wake/sleep patterns.
>

> * C. Treaties
>
> Which war was ended by the...
>
> C1. Treaty of Portsmouth?
> C2. Treaty or Peace of Westphalia?
Seven Years War

> * D. African Capitals
>
> What is the current capital city of...
>
> D1. Burkina Faso?
Ouagadougou
> D2. Namibia?
Windhoek

> * E. Billiards
>
> E1. Including the cue ball, how many balls are on the table at
> the start of a snooker game?
22
> E2. What term is usually used to refer to sidespin (and sometimes
> to any type of spin) is applied to the cue ball?
Using Toronto pub rules, I guess you are expecting "English" as the
answer

> * F. Art Gallery of Ontario Exhibitions
>
> F1. What is the title of the current AGO exhibition running
> until February 2017 that features masterpieces by Claude
> Monet and Vincent van Gogh?
>
> F2. In April 2017, the AGO will present a major retrospective
> of which pioneering American modernist painter (1887-1986),
> featuring over 100 works of art. The show will definitely
> include several representations and abstractions of flowers.

Peter Smyth

Calvin

May 16, 2017, 7:22:08 PM5/16/17
On Tuesday, May 16, 2017 at 6:37:36 PM UTC+10, Mark Brader wrote:

> ** Game 2, Round 9 - Literature - Steven King Title Anagrams
>
> Each of the following anagrams can be unscrambled into the the name
> of a Stephen King novel or a short story that has been adapted for
> the screen, either film or as TV-movies; in one case, the anagram
> is of the movie title. We'll provide the number of words in the
> title -- you name it.
>
> 1. Two words: OMLASTELS.

Salem's Lot

> 2. Two words: NIGHTHINES.

The Shining

> 3. Two words: TRAMPEYEAST.

Pet Sematary

> 4. Two words: SHEETINGFLUND.

The Selfunding
Unlikely I know, but the only anagram I can come up with :-)

> 5. Three words: HUNTINGMANNER.

The Running Man

> 6. Two words: SHATTEND.

The Stand

> 7. One word: NICERSHIT.

Christine

> 8. One word: SYMIRE.

Misery

> 9. One word: CHOPSWERE.

> 10. One word: STRAITFREER.

Firestarter

My ability an anagrams was far more useful than my knowledge of King's works! I wonder what approaches other took?

> ** Game 2, Round 10 - Challenge Round
>
> * A. European Union
>
> A1. What is the official anthem of the European Union?

The Ode to Joy

> A2. In what year was the EU formed?

1973, 1971

> * B. Glands
>
> B1. This gland, often referred to as the master gland of the
> body, is located at the base of the hypothalamus and is
> about the size of a pea. It produces many hormones that
> control other glands and body functions, including growth.

Pituitary

> B2. This small endocrine gland, referred to as the "third eye",
> produces melatonin, which affects the modulation of
> wake/sleep patterns.

Adrenal

> * C. Treaties
>
> Which war was ended by the...
>
> C1. Treaty of Portsmouth?

7 Years War, Napoleonic Wars

> C2. Treaty or Peace of Westphalia?

30 Years War

> * D. African Capitals
>
> What is the current capital city of...
>
> D1. Burkina Faso?

Ouagadougou

> D2. Namibia?

Windhoek

> * E. Billiards
>
> E1. Including the cue ball, how many balls are on the table at
> the start of a snooker game?

22

> E2. What term is usually used to refer to sidespin (and sometimes
> to any type of spin) is applied to the cue ball?

Skew

> * F. Art Gallery of Ontario Exhibitions
>
> F1. What is the title of the current AGO exhibition running
> until February 2017 that features masterpieces by Claude
> Monet and Vincent van Gogh?

The Impressionists

> F2. In April 2017, the AGO will present a major retrospective
> of which pioneering American modernist painter (1887-1986),
> featuring over 100 works of art. The show will definitely
> include several representations and abstractions of flowers.

O'Keefe

cheers,
calvin

Dan Tilque

May 17, 2017, 4:37:57 AM5/17/17
Mark Brader wrote:

> ** Game 2, Round 9 - Literature - Steven King Title Anagrams
>
> Each of the following anagrams can be unscrambled into the the name
> of a Stephen King novel or a short story that has been adapted for
> the screen, either film or as TV-movies; in one case, the anagram
> is of the movie title. We'll provide the number of words in the
> title -- you name it.
>
> 1. Two words: OMLASTELS.
> 2. Two words: NIGHTHINES.

The Shining

> 3. Two words: TRAMPEYEAST.
> 4. Two words: SHEETINGFLUND.
> 5. Three words: HUNTINGMANNER.
> 6. Two words: SHATTEND.

The Stand

> 7. One word: NICERSHIT.
> 8. One word: SYMIRE.

Misery

> 9. One word: CHOPSWERE.

Spherecow

> 10. One word: STRAITFREER.
>

> ** Game 2, Round 10 - Challenge Round
>
> * A. European Union
>
> A1. What is the official anthem of the European Union?

Beethoven's 9th Symphony

> A2. In what year was the EU formed?

1992

> * B. Glands
>
> B1. This gland, often referred to as the master gland of the
> body, is located at the base of the hypothalamus and is
> about the size of a pea. It produces many hormones that
> control other glands and body functions, including growth.

thyroid

> B2. This small endocrine gland, referred to as the "third eye",
> produces melatonin, which affects the modulation of
> wake/sleep patterns.

pineal

> * C. Treaties
>
> Which war was ended by the...
>
> C1. Treaty of Portsmouth?
> C2. Treaty or Peace of Westphalia?

30 Years' War

> * D. African Capitals
>
> What is the current capital city of...
>
> D1. Burkina Faso?

Ouagadougou

> D2. Namibia?

Windhoek

> * E. Billiards
>
> E1. Including the cue ball, how many balls are on the table at
> the start of a snooker game?
>
> E2. What term is usually used to refer to sidespin (and sometimes
> to any type of spin) is applied to the cue ball?

english

> * F. Art Gallery of Ontario Exhibitions
>
> F1. What is the title of the current AGO exhibition running
> until February 2017 that features masterpieces by Claude
> Monet and Vincent van Gogh?
>
> F2. In April 2017, the AGO will present a major retrospective
> of which pioneering American modernist painter (1887-1986),
> featuring over 100 works of art. The show will definitely
> include several representations and abstractions of flowers.

Georgia O'Keeffe

--
Dan Tilque

Jason Kreitzer

May 17, 2017, 2:15:25 PM5/17/17
On Tuesday, May 16, 2017 at 4:37:36 AM UTC-4, Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2017-01-23,

> Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of 5 Easy Pieces and are
> used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
> been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information see
> my 2016-11-26 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> ** Game 2, Round 9 - Literature - Steven King Title Anagrams
>
> Each of the following anagrams can be unscrambled into the the name
> of a Stephen King novel or a short story that has been adapted for
> the screen, either film or as TV-movies; in one case, the anagram
> is of the movie title. We'll provide the number of words in the
> title -- you name it.
>
> 1. Two words: OMLASTELS.
> 2. Two words: NIGHTHINES.
The Shining
> 3. Two words: TRAMPEYEAST.
> 4. Two words: SHEETINGFLUND.
> 5. Three words: HUNTINGMANNER.
> 6. Two words: SHATTEND.
> 7. One word: NICERSHIT.
Christine
> 8. One word: SYMIRE.
Misery
> 9. One word: CHOPSWERE.
> 10. One word: STRAITFREER.
>

> ** Game 2, Round 10 - Challenge Round
>
> * A. European Union
>
> A1. What is the official anthem of the European Union?
> A2. In what year was the EU formed?
>

> * B. Glands
>
> B1. This gland, often referred to as the master gland of the
> body, is located at the base of the hypothalamus and is
> about the size of a pea. It produces many hormones that
> control other glands and body functions, including growth.
Thyroid

Erland Sommarskog

May 17, 2017, 4:53:18 PM5/17/17
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> A1. What is the official anthem of the European Union?

An die Fruede

> A2. In what year was the EU formed?

1951. Although then it was only the Coal and Steel Union. It was transformed
to become the European (Economic) Community in 1957. The European Union
moniker came in 1992, if memory serves.

> * B. Glands
>
> B1. This gland, often referred to as the master gland of the
> body, is located at the base of the hypothalamus and is
> about the size of a pea. It produces many hormones that
> control other glands and body functions, including growth.

Thalamus

> C2. Treaty or Peace of Westphalia?

30-year war.

> * D. African Capitals
>
> What is the current capital city of...
>
> D1. Burkina Faso?

Ouagadogou

> D2. Namibia?

Windhoek

> E1. Including the cue ball, how many balls are on the table at
> the start of a snooker game?

23

Mark Brader

May 19, 2017, 3:01:20 PM5/19/17
Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2017-01-23,
> see my 2016-11-26 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

Game 2 is over and JOSHUA KREITZER has walked away with it.
Very well done, sir!

> ** Game 2, Round 9 - Literature - Steven King Title Anagrams

> Each of the following anagrams can be unscrambled into the the name
> of a Stephen King novel or a short story that has been adapted for
> the screen, either film or as TV-movies; in one case, the anagram
> is of the movie title. We'll provide the number of words in the
> title -- you name it.

> 1. Two words: OMLASTELS.

"Salem's Lot". 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, and Calvin.

> 2. Two words: NIGHTHINES.

"The Shining". 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, Marc, Calvin, Dan Tilque,
and Jason.

> 3. Two words: TRAMPEYEAST.

"Pet Sematary" [sic]. I accepted "Pet Semetary" even though this
is not an anagram, as it would sound like the correct anagram.
4 for Marc and Calvin.

> 4. Two words: SHEETINGFLUND.

"Needful Things". Giggle points to Calvin for "The Selfunding".

> 5. Three words: HUNTINGMANNER.

"The Running Man". 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, and Calvin.

> 6. Two words: SHATTEND.

"The Stand". 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, Calvin, and Dan Tilque.

> 7. One word: NICERSHIT.

"Christine". 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, Calvin, and Jason.

> 8. One word: SYMIRE.

"Misery". 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, Marc, Pete, Calvin, Dan Tilque,
and Jason.

> 9. One word: CHOPSWERE.

"Creepshow" [sic]. Giggle points to Dan Tilque for "Spherecow".

In the original game they didn't include the proviso that one of the
titles referred to a screen version. "Creepshow" is not the title
of a novel or short story by King, but is the title of a movie that
includes portions adpted from his stories.

> 10. One word: STRAITFREER.

"Firestarter". 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, and Calvin.

> ** Game 2, Round 10 - Challenge Round

> * A. European Union

> A1. What is the official anthem of the European Union?

"Ode to Joy". 4 for Joshua, Peter, Calvin, and Erland. 3 for
Dan Tilque.

> A2. In what year was the EU formed?

1993. (Not 1952 or 1958.) 3 for Peter. 2 for Joshua.

The earliest predecessor of the EU was the European Coal and Steel
Community, formed in 1952. The European Economic Community followed
in 1958; this was renamed the European Community at the same time
the EU was formed, and was later absorbed into the EU.

> * B. Glands

> B1. This gland, often referred to as the master gland of the
> body, is located at the base of the hypothalamus and is
> about the size of a pea. It produces many hormones that
> control other glands and body functions, including growth.

Pituitary. 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, Marc, Pete, Peter, and Calvin.

> B2. This small endocrine gland, referred to as the "third eye",
> produces melatonin, which affects the modulation of
> wake/sleep patterns.

Pineal. 4 for Joshua, Marc, and Dan Tilque.

> * C. Treaties

> Which war was ended by the...

> C1. Treaty of Portsmouth?

Russo-Japanese War. 4 for Joshua.

> C2. Treaty or Peace of Westphalia?

Thirty Years' War, and also the Eighty Years' War. Either answer was
acceptable. 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, Calvin, Dan Tilque, and Erland.

> * D. African Capitals

> What is the current capital city of...

> D1. Burkina Faso?

Ouagadougou. 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, Pete, Peter, Calvin, Dan Tilque,
and Erland.

> D2. Namibia?

Windhoek. 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, Pete, Peter, Calvin, Dan Tilque,
and Erland.

> * E. Billiards

> E1. Including the cue ball, how many balls are on the table at
> the start of a snooker game?

22. (15 reds, 6 "colors", cue ball.) 4 for Peter and Calvin.

> E2. What term is usually used to refer to sidespin (and sometimes
> to any type of spin) is applied to the cue ball?

English. 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, Marc, Pete, Peter, and Dan Tilque.

> * F. Art Gallery of Ontario Exhibitions

> F1. What is the title of the current AGO exhibition running
> until February 2017 that features masterpieces by Claude
> Monet and Vincent van Gogh?

"Mystical Landscapes".

> F2. In April 2017, the AGO will present a major retrospective
> of which pioneering American modernist painter (1887-1986),
> featuring over 100 works of art. The show will definitely
> include several representations and abstractions of flowers.

Georgia O'Keeffe. 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, Calvin, and Dan Tilque.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 2 ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 6 7 8 2 10 BEST
TOPICS-> Can Spo Sci His Ent Geo Lit Cha SIX
Joshua Kreitzer 4 23 24 20 40 31 28 38 184
Dan Blum -- -- 20 20 24 27 28 24 143
Dan Tilque 4 12 20 24 4 24 12 27 119
"Calvin" 0 28 4 12 8 8 32 28 116
Peter Smyth 0 32 16 16 4 16 0 27 111
Marc Dashevsky 24 12 16 19 16 20 12 12 107
Pete Gayde 4 32 7 20 8 14 4 16 97
Erland Sommarskog 0 16 0 12 0 36 0 16 80
Jason Kreitzer 0 4 4 12 24 8 12 0 64
Bruce Bowler -- -- 23 20 -- -- -- -- 43
Gareth Owen -- -- -- -- 19 0 -- -- 19

--
Mark Brader | "Justices look solemn in their formal black robes, but
Toronto | every so often they like to have a little fun by taking on

Gareth Owen

May 19, 2017, 3:15:56 PM5/19/17
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) writes:

>> E2. What term is usually used to refer to sidespin (and sometimes
>> to any type of spin) is applied to the cue ball?
>
> English. 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, Marc, Pete, Peter, and Dan Tilque.

Except by the English who call it spin, or refer to where the ball is
hit and direction of spin imparted:
"top", "bottom", "left-hand side", "right-hand side" etc

Mark Brader

May 19, 2017, 3:21:16 PM5/19/17
Mark Brader:
>>> E2. What term is usually used to refer to sidespin (and sometimes
>>> to any type of spin) is applied to the cue ball?
>>
>> English. 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, Marc, Pete, Peter, and Dan Tilque.

Gareth Owen:
> Except by the English who call it spin...

Now that's so typical of English -- the language, I mean! Anyway,
no one gave that answer.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto "Then she got a Googling look."
m...@vex.net --Vernor Vinge, "Rainbows End"

gwo...@gmail.com

May 22, 2017, 10:35:33 AM5/22/17
On Friday, May 19, 2017 at 8:21:16 PM UTC+1, Mark Brader wrote:
> Mark Brader:
> >>
> >> English. 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, Marc, Pete, Peter, and Dan Tilque.
>
> Gareth Owen:
> > Except by the English who call it spin...
>
> Now that's so typical of English -- the language, I mean! Anyway,
> no one gave that answer.

Oh, I forgot. Left-hand side and right-hand side are usually only called that if the cue-ball is going to hit another ball before the cushion. If the cue-ball is going hit the cushion, they're called "check side" or "running side" depending on whether the spin is intended to decrease or increase the angle of reflection...

All pretty obvious really.