Rotating Quiz 259

swp

Jun 8, 2017, 8:58:06 PM6/8/17
this is rotating quiz #259. today is june 8th, 2017. yesterday, I lost someone. her name was Diana. she was pretty, smart, and loved music. this round is dedicated to her.

the winner will be the first choice to set rq 260, in a manner of their choosing.

please answer based only on your own knowledge; put all of your answers in a single posting, quoting the question before each one.

answer slates must be posted before 9pm edt (philadelphia/toronto time) on wednesday, 2017-06-14, which gives all of you a lot of time from the time of this posting.

in case of a tie, the first tiebreaker will be who scored on the hardest questions; and the second tiebreaker will be who posted first.

correct answers are worth 1 point each.

have fun!

category: diana

in each case, unambiguously name the person described.

a. the one that died in paris at the end of august in 1997
b. to the romans, diana was the goddess of the hunt, the moon, and nature. name her greek equivalent.
c. lead singer of the vocal group 'the supremes'
d. emma peel in the 1960s tv series 'the avengers' and olenna tyrell in 'game of thrones'

category: it's the singer

again, unambiguously name the singer described

e. died on november 24th, 1991. 4 octave vocal range. one of the greatest showmen of all time.
f. the chairman of the board
g. performed "the star spangled banner" at super bowl xxv at tampa stadium on january 27, 1991. they played a previously recorded version by her and didn't tell her she had a dead microphone when she sang live, ostensibly due to crowd noide
h. she sang with boyz ii men on "one sweet day"

category: the song

from the given lyrics, name the song. (note: I am using copy & paste for these)

i. Oh don't you dare look back
Just keep your eyes on me
I said you're holding back
She said ...

j. I'm burnin' through the sky yeah
Two hundred degrees
That's why they call me Mister Fahrenheit
I'm trav'ling at the speed of light
I wanna make a supersonic man out of you

k. If you need me, let me know, gonna be around
If you've got no place to go, if you're feeling down
If you're all alone when the pretty birds have flown
Honey I'm still free

l. Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose.
Nothing ain't nothing, but it's free.

category: the band (note: I am using copy & paste for these also)

from the given lyrics, name the band/artist

m. We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl.

n. If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

o. How many roads must a man walk down
Before you call him a man
How many seas must a white dove sail
Before she sleeps in the sand
Yes, 'n' how many times must the cannon balls fly
Before they're forever banned
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind

p. I pulled into Nazareth, was feeling 'bout half past dead
I just need some place where I can lay my head
Hey, mister, can you tell me, where a man might find a bed?
He just grinned and shook my hand, "No" was all he said

good luck!

swp

Mark Brader

Jun 8, 2017, 9:23:25 PM6/8/17
Stephen Perry:
> yesterday, I lost someone.

Very sorry to hear it.

> a. the one that died in paris at the end of august in 1997

Diana who was Princess of Wales.

> b. to the romans, diana was the goddess of the hunt, the moon, and
> nature. name her greek equivalent.

Artemis?

> c. lead singer of the vocal group 'the supremes'

Diana Ross.

> d. emma peel in the 1960s tv series 'the avengers' and olenna tyrell in
> 'game of thrones'

Diana Rigg.

> f. the chairman of the board

Frank Sinatra.

> o. How many roads must a man walk down
> Before you call him a man
> How many seas must a white dove sail
> Before she sleeps in the sand
> Yes, 'n' how many times must the cannon balls fly
> Before they're forever banned
> The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind

Peter, Paul and Mary.

--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "Canadian seals deal with creditors"
m...@vex.net | --Globe & Mail, Toronto, July 1, 1997

Dan Blum

Jun 8, 2017, 10:01:37 PM6/8/17
swp <stephen...@gmail.com> wrote:

> a. the one that died in paris at the end of august in 1997

Princess Diana

> b. to the romans, diana was the goddess of the hunt, the moon, and nature. name her greek equivalent.

Artemis

> c. lead singer of the vocal group 'the supremes'

Diana Ross

> d. emma peel in the 1960s tv series 'the avengers' and olenna tyrell in 'game of thrones'

Diana Reed

> f. the chairman of the board

Frank Sinatra

> i. Oh don't you dare look back
> Just keep your eyes on me
> I said you're holding back
> She said ...

Shut Up and Dance With Me

> n. If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

Rush

> o. How many roads must a man walk down
> Before you call him a man
> How many seas must a white dove sail
> Before she sleeps in the sand
> Yes, 'n' how many times must the cannon balls fly
> Before they're forever banned
> The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind

Bob Dylan

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Marc Dashevsky

Jun 9, 2017, 3:17:57 AM6/9/17
In article <42242bd1-2971-4883...@googlegroups.com>, stephen...@gmail.com says...
> category: diana
>
> in each case, unambiguously name the person described.
>
> a. the one that died in paris at the end of august in 1997
Princess Diana, England

> b. to the romans, diana was the goddess of the hunt, the moon, and nature. name her greek equivalent.
Athena

> c. lead singer of the vocal group 'the supremes'
Diana Ross

> d. emma peel in the 1960s tv series 'the avengers' and olenna tyrell in 'game of thrones'
Diana Rigg

> category: it's the singer
>
> again, unambiguously name the singer described
>
> e. died on november 24th, 1991. 4 octave vocal range. one of the greatest showmen of all time.
> f. the chairman of the board
Frank Sinatra

> g. performed "the star spangled banner" at super bowl xxv at tampa stadium on january 27, 1991. they played a previously recorded version by her and didn't tell her she had a dead microphone when she sang live, ostensibly due to crowd noide
Whitney Houston

> h. she sang with boyz ii men on "one sweet day"
>
> category: the song
>
> from the given lyrics, name the song. (note: I am using copy & paste for these)
>
> i. Oh don't you dare look back
> Just keep your eyes on me
> I said you're holding back
> She said ...
>
> j. I'm burnin' through the sky yeah
> Two hundred degrees
> That's why they call me Mister Fahrenheit
> I'm trav'ling at the speed of light
> I wanna make a supersonic man out of you
>
> k. If you need me, let me know, gonna be around
> If you've got no place to go, if you're feeling down
> If you're all alone when the pretty birds have flown
> Honey I'm still free
>
> l. Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose.
> Nothing ain't nothing, but it's free.
Me & Bobby McGee

> category: the band (note: I am using copy & paste for these also)
>
> from the given lyrics, name the band/artist
>
> m. We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl.
>
> n. If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.
>
> o. How many roads must a man walk down
> Before you call him a man
> How many seas must a white dove sail
> Before she sleeps in the sand
> Yes, 'n' how many times must the cannon balls fly
> Before they're forever banned
> The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
Bob Dylan wrote it; Peter, Paul & Mary hit the U.S. Pop charts with it.

> p. I pulled into Nazareth, was feeling 'bout half past dead
> I just need some place where I can lay my head
> Hey, mister, can you tell me, where a man might find a bed?
> He just grinned and shook my hand, "No" was all he said
The Band

> good luck!
>
> swp

Dan Tilque

Jun 9, 2017, 1:48:54 PM6/9/17
swp wrote:

> category: diana
>
> in each case, unambiguously name the person described.
>
> a. the one that died in paris at the end of august in 1997

Princess Diana

> b. to the romans, diana was the goddess of the hunt, the moon, and nature. name her greek equivalent.

Artemis

> c. lead singer of the vocal group 'the supremes'

Diana Ross

> d. emma peel in the 1960s tv series 'the avengers' and olenna tyrell in 'game of thrones'

Diana Riggs

> category: it's the singer
>
> again, unambiguously name the singer described
>
> e. died on november 24th, 1991. 4 octave vocal range. one of the greatest showmen of all time.
> f. the chairman of the board

Frank Sinatra

> g. performed "the star spangled banner" at super bowl xxv at tampa stadium on january 27, 1991. they played a previously recorded version by her and didn't tell her she had a dead microphone when she sang live, ostensibly due to crowd noide
> h. she sang with boyz ii men on "one sweet day"
>
> category: the song
>
> from the given lyrics, name the song. (note: I am using copy & paste for these)
>
> i. Oh don't you dare look back
> Just keep your eyes on me
> I said you're holding back
> She said ...
>
> j. I'm burnin' through the sky yeah
> Two hundred degrees
> That's why they call me Mister Fahrenheit
> I'm trav'ling at the speed of light
> I wanna make a supersonic man out of you
>
> k. If you need me, let me know, gonna be around
> If you've got no place to go, if you're feeling down
> If you're all alone when the pretty birds have flown
> Honey I'm still free
>
> l. Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose.
> Nothing ain't nothing, but it's free.

Me and Bobby McGee

> category: the band (note: I am using copy & paste for these also)
>
> from the given lyrics, name the band/artist
>
> m. We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl.
>
> n. If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.
>
> o. How many roads must a man walk down
> Before you call him a man
> How many seas must a white dove sail
> Before she sleeps in the sand
> Yes, 'n' how many times must the cannon balls fly
> Before they're forever banned
> The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind

Bob Dylan

> p. I pulled into Nazareth, was feeling 'bout half past dead
> I just need some place where I can lay my head
> Hey, mister, can you tell me, where a man might find a bed?
> He just grinned and shook my hand, "No" was all he said

--
Dan Tilque

Erland Sommarskog

Jun 9, 2017, 3:06:22 PM6/9/17
swp (stephen...@gmail.com) writes:
> a. the one that died in paris at the end of august in 1997

Lady Di, former wife of Prince Charles of the United Kingdom and
Northern Ireland.

> b. to the romans, diana was the goddess of the hunt, the moon, and
> nature. name her greek equivalent.

Aphrodite

> c. lead singer of the vocal group 'the supremes'

Diana Ross

> e. died on november 24th, 1991. 4 octave vocal range. one of the
> greatest showmen of all time.

Freddie Mercury

> g. performed "the star spangled banner" at super bowl xxv at tampa
> stadium on january 27, 1991. they played a previously recorded version
> by her and didn't tell her she had a dead microphone when she sang live,
> ostensibly due to crowd noide

Cher

(Damn you if it is Tina Turner this time!)

> i. Oh don't you dare look back
> Just keep your eyes on me
> I said you're holding back
> She said ...

Don't Look Back in Anger

(Never heard that song, only the one without "Don't" in the title, so
this is a really wild guess.)

> m. We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl.

Pink Floyd ("Wish You Were Here")

> n. If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

Rush ("Free Will")

> o. How many roads must a man walk down
> Before you call him a man
> How many seas must a white dove sail
> Before she sleeps in the sand
> Yes, 'n' how many times must the cannon balls fly
> Before they're forever banned
> The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind

Bob Dylan

Peter Smyth

Jun 9, 2017, 8:10:05 PM6/9/17
swp wrote:

> this is rotating quiz #259. today is june 8th, 2017. yesterday, I lost
> someone. her name was Diana. she was pretty, smart, and loved music.
> this round is dedicated to her.
>
> the winner will be the first choice to set rq 260, in a manner of their
> choosing.
>
> please answer based only on your own knowledge; put all of your answers
> in a single posting, quoting the question before each one.
>
> answer slates must be posted before 9pm edt (philadelphia/toronto time)
> on wednesday, 2017-06-14, which gives all of you a lot of time from the
> time of this posting.
>
> in case of a tie, the first tiebreaker will be who scored on the hardest
> questions; and the second tiebreaker will be who posted first.
>
> correct answers are worth 1 point each.
>
> have fun!
>
> category: diana
>
> in each case, unambiguously name the person described.
>
> a. the one that died in paris at the end of august in 1997
Diana, Princess of Wales

> b. to the romans, diana was the goddess of the hunt, the moon, and
> nature. name her greek equivalent.
Athena

> c. lead singer of the vocal group 'the supremes'
Diana Ross

> d. emma peel in the 1960s tv series 'the avengers' and olenna tyrell in
> 'game of thrones'
Diana Rigg

> category: it's the singer
>
> again, unambiguously name the singer described
>
> e. died on november 24th, 1991. 4 octave vocal range. one of the
> greatest showmen of all time.
Freddie Mercury

> f. the chairman of the board
> g. performed "the star spangled banner" at super bowl xxv at tampa
> stadium on january 27, 1991. they played a previously recorded version
> by her and didn't tell her she had a dead microphone when she sang live,
> ostensibly due to crowd noide
Whitney Houston

> h. she sang with boyz ii men on "one sweet day"
Mariah Carey

> category: the song
>
> from the given lyrics, name the song. (note: I am using copy & paste for
> these)
>
> i. Oh don't you dare look back
> Just keep your eyes on me
> I said you're holding back
> She said ...
>
> j. I'm burnin' through the sky yeah
> Two hundred degrees
> That's why they call me Mister Fahrenheit
> I'm trav'ling at the speed of light
> I wanna make a supersonic man out of you
Don't Stop Me Now (Queen)

> k. If you need me, let me know, gonna be around
> If you've got no place to go, if you're feeling down
> If you're all alone when the pretty birds have flown
> Honey I'm still free
>
> l. Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose.
> Nothing ain't nothing, but it's free.
>

> category: the band (note: I am using copy & paste for these also)
>
> from the given lyrics, name the band/artist
>
> m. We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl.
>
> n. If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.
>
> o. How many roads must a man walk down
> Before you call him a man
> How many seas must a white dove sail
> Before she sleeps in the sand
> Yes, 'n' how many times must the cannon balls fly
> Before they're forever banned
> The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
Bob Dylan

> p. I pulled into Nazareth, was feeling 'bout half past dead
> I just need some place where I can lay my head
> Hey, mister, can you tell me, where a man might find a bed?
> He just grinned and shook my hand, "No" was all he said

Peter Smyth

Gareth Owen

Jun 10, 2017, 2:19:08 AM6/10/17
swp <stephen...@gmail.com> writes:

> a. the one that died in paris at the end of august in 1997

Diana, Princess of Wales (née Diana Spencer)

> b. to the romans, diana was the goddess of the hunt, the moon, and
> nature. name her greek equivalent.

Artemis

> c. lead singer of the vocal group 'the supremes'

Diana Ross

> d. emma peel in the 1960s tv series 'the avengers' and olenna tyrell
> in 'game of thrones'

Diana Rigg

> category: it's the singer
>
> again, unambiguously name the singer described
>
> e. died on november 24th, 1991. 4 octave vocal range. one of the
> greatest showmen of all time.

Freddie Mercury

> f. the chairman of the board

Frank Sinatra

> g. performed "the star spangled banner" at super bowl xxv at tampa
> stadium on january 27, 1991. they played a previously recorded
> version by her and didn't tell her she had a dead microphone when she
> sang live, ostensibly due to crowd noide

Whitney Houston

> h. she sang with boyz ii men on "one sweet day"

Mariah Carey?

> category: the song
>
> from the given lyrics, name the song. (note: I am using copy & paste for these)
>
> i. Oh don't you dare look back
> Just keep your eyes on me
> I said you're holding back
> She said ...
>
> j. I'm burnin' through the sky yeah
> Two hundred degrees
> That's why they call me Mister Fahrenheit
> I'm trav'ling at the speed of light
> I wanna make a supersonic man out of you

Don't Stop Me Now

> k. If you need me, let me know, gonna be around
> If you've got no place to go, if you're feeling down
> If you're all alone when the pretty birds have flown
> Honey I'm still free

Take A Chance On Me

> l. Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose.
> Nothing ain't nothing, but it's free.

Me & Bobby McGee

> category: the band (note: I am using copy & paste for these also)
>
> from the given lyrics, name the band/artist
>
> m. We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl.

Pink Floyd (Wish You Were Here)

> n. If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.
>
> o. How many roads must a man walk down
> Before you call him a man
> How many seas must a white dove sail
> Before she sleeps in the sand
> Yes, 'n' how many times must the cannon balls fly
> Before they're forever banned
> The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind

Sir Robert of Dylan (or about a zillion other people, Stevie Wonder's
version is pretty good)

> p. I pulled into Nazareth, was feeling 'bout half past dead
> I just need some place where I can lay my head
> Hey, mister, can you tell me, where a man might find a bed?
> He just grinned and shook my hand, "No" was all he said

The Band (The Weight)
[or Smith if you've only got the Easy Rider soundtrack album to hand]

Calvin

Jun 11, 2017, 7:01:56 PM6/11/17
On Friday, June 9, 2017 at 10:58:06 AM UTC+10, swp wrote:
> this is rotating quiz #259. today is june 8th, 2017. yesterday, I lost someone. her name was Diana.

Sorry to hear that. Please accept my condolences.

> category: diana
>
> in each case, unambiguously name the person described.
>
> a. the one that died in paris at the end of august in 1997

Diana Spencer

> b. to the romans, diana was the goddess of the hunt, the moon, and nature. name her greek equivalent.

Athena

> c. lead singer of the vocal group 'the supremes'

Diana Ross

> d. emma peel in the 1960s tv series 'the avengers' and olenna tyrell in 'game of thrones'

Diana Rigg

> category: it's the singer
>
> again, unambiguously name the singer described
>
> e. died on november 24th, 1991. 4 octave vocal range. one of the greatest showmen of all time.
> f. the chairman of the board

Frank Sinatra

> g. performed "the star spangled banner" at super bowl xxv at tampa stadium on january 27, 1991. they played a previously recorded version by her and didn't tell her she had a dead microphone when she sang live, ostensibly due to crowd noide
> h. she sang with boyz ii men on "one sweet day"
>
> category: the song
>
> from the given lyrics, name the song. (note: I am using copy & paste for these)
>
> i. Oh don't you dare look back
> Just keep your eyes on me
> I said you're holding back
> She said ...
>
> j. I'm burnin' through the sky yeah
> Two hundred degrees
> That's why they call me Mister Fahrenheit
> I'm trav'ling at the speed of light
> I wanna make a supersonic man out of you
>
> k. If you need me, let me know, gonna be around
> If you've got no place to go, if you're feeling down
> If you're all alone when the pretty birds have flown
> Honey I'm still free
>
> l. Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose.
> Nothing ain't nothing, but it's free.

Me and Bobby McGee

> category: the band (note: I am using copy & paste for these also)
>
> from the given lyrics, name the band/artist
>
> m. We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl.

Pink Floyd

> n. If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.
>
> o. How many roads must a man walk down
> Before you call him a man
> How many seas must a white dove sail
> Before she sleeps in the sand
> Yes, 'n' how many times must the cannon balls fly
> Before they're forever banned
> The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind

Bob Dylan

> p. I pulled into Nazareth, was feeling 'bout half past dead
> I just need some place where I can lay my head
> Hey, mister, can you tell me, where a man might find a bed?
> He just grinned and shook my hand, "No" was all he said

cheers,
calvin

Chris F.A. Johnson

Jun 12, 2017, 3:08:04 AM6/12/17
On 2017-06-09, swp wrote:
> this is rotating quiz #259. today is june 8th, 2017. yesterday, I lost someone. her name was Diana. she was pretty, smart, and loved music. this round is dedicated to her.
>
> the winner will be the first choice to set rq 260, in a manner of their choosing.
>
> please answer based only on your own knowledge; put all of your answers in a single posting, quoting the question before each one.
>
> answer slates must be posted before 9pm edt (philadelphia/toronto time) on wednesday, 2017-06-14, which gives all of you a lot of time from the time of this posting.
>
> in case of a tie, the first tiebreaker will be who scored on the hardest questions; and the second tiebreaker will be who posted first.
>
> correct answers are worth 1 point each.
>
> have fun!
>
> category: diana
>
> in each case, unambiguously name the person described.
>
> a. the one that died in paris at the end of august in 1997

Princess Diana

> b. to the romans, diana was the goddess of the hunt, the moon, and nature. name her greek equivalent.

Artemis

> c. lead singer of the vocal group 'the supremes'

Diana Ross

> d. emma peel in the 1960s tv series 'the avengers' and olenna tyrell in 'game of thrones'

Diana Rigg

> category: it's the singer
>
> again, unambiguously name the singer described
>
> e. died on november 24th, 1991. 4 octave vocal range. one of the greatest showmen of all time.
> f. the chairman of the board

Frank Sinatra

> g. performed "the star spangled banner" at super bowl xxv at tampa stadium on january 27, 1991. they played a previously recorded version by her and didn't tell her she had a dead microphone when she sang live, ostensibly due to crowd noide
> h. she sang with boyz ii men on "one sweet day"
>
> category: the song
>
> from the given lyrics, name the song. (note: I am using copy & paste for these)
>
> i. Oh don't you dare look back
> Just keep your eyes on me
> I said you're holding back
> She said ...

Ticket to Ride

> j. I'm burnin' through the sky yeah
> Two hundred degrees
> That's why they call me Mister Fahrenheit
> I'm trav'ling at the speed of light
> I wanna make a supersonic man out of you
>
> k. If you need me, let me know, gonna be around
> If you've got no place to go, if you're feeling down
> If you're all alone when the pretty birds have flown
> Honey I'm still free
>
> l. Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose.
> Nothing ain't nothing, but it's free.

Me and Bobby McGee

> category: the band (note: I am using copy & paste for these also)
>
> from the given lyrics, name the band/artist
>
> m. We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl.
>
> n. If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.
>
> o. How many roads must a man walk down
> Before you call him a man
> How many seas must a white dove sail
> Before she sleeps in the sand
> Yes, 'n' how many times must the cannon balls fly
> Before they're forever banned
> The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind

Bob Dylan, covered by Peter Paul and Mary and many others

> p. I pulled into Nazareth, was feeling 'bout half past dead
> I just need some place where I can lay my head
> Hey, mister, can you tell me, where a man might find a bed?
> He just grinned and shook my hand, "No" was all he said

--
Chris F.A. Johnson

swp

Jun 15, 2017, 7:25:37 PM6/15/17
On Thursday, June 8, 2017 at 8:58:06 PM UTC-4, swp wrote:
> this is rotating quiz #259. today is june 8th, 2017. yesterday, I lost someone. her name was Diana. she was pretty, smart, and loved music. this round is dedicated to her.

thank you for the kind words and laughter, much appreciated

> answer slates must be posted before 9pm edt (philadelphia/toronto time) on wednesday, 2017-06-14, which gives all of you a lot of time from the time of this posting.

at this point I don't think anyone is surprised when I am late. up first, the expected answers.

category: diana

in each case, unambiguously name the person described.

a. the one that died in paris at the end of august in 1997

Diana, Princess of Wales

b. to the romans, diana was the goddess of the hunt, the moon, and nature. name her greek equivalent.

Artemis

c. lead singer of the vocal group 'the supremes'

Diana Ross

d. emma peel in the 1960s tv series 'the avengers' and olenna tyrell in 'game of thrones'

Diana Rigg

category: it's the singer

again, unambiguously name the singer described

e. died on november 24th, 1991. 4 octave vocal range. one of the greatest showmen of all time.

Freddie Mercury, aka Farrokh Bulsara (lead singer of queen)

f. the chairman of the board

Frank Sinatra

g. performed "the star spangled banner" at super bowl xxv at tampa stadium on january 27, 1991. they played a previously recorded version by her and didn't tell her she had a dead microphone when she sang live, ostensibly due to crowd noise

Whitney Houston

h. she sang with boyz ii men on "one sweet day"

Mariah Carey

category: the song

from the given lyrics, name the song. (note: I am using copy & paste for these)

i. Oh don't you dare look back
Just keep your eyes on me
I said you're holding back
She said ...

'shut up and dance' by walk the moon

j. I'm burnin' through the sky yeah
Two hundred degrees
That's why they call me Mister Fahrenheit
I'm trav'ling at the speed of light
I wanna make a supersonic man out of you

'don't stop me now' by queen

k. If you need me, let me know, gonna be around
If you've got no place to go, if you're feeling down
If you're all alone when the pretty birds have flown
Honey I'm still free

'take a chance on me' by abba

l. Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose.
Nothing ain't nothing, but it's free.

'me and bobby mcgee' by janis joplin

category: the band (note: I am using copy & paste for these also)

from the given lyrics, name the band/artist

m. We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl

pink floyd, from 'wish you were here'

n. If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

rush, from 'freewill'

o. How many roads must a man walk down
Before you call him a man
How many seas must a white dove sail
Before she sleeps in the sand
Yes, 'n' how many times must the cannon balls fly
Before they're forever banned
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind

bob dylan, from "blowin' in the wind"

p. I pulled into Nazareth, was feeling 'bout half past dead
I just need some place where I can lay my head
Hey, mister, can you tell me, where a man might find a bed?
He just grinned and shook my hand, "No" was all he said

the band, 'the weight'

and now to tally up the scores.

name a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p total
---------- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -----
Mark B 1 1 1 1 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 6
Dan B 1 1 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 1 1 0 8
Marc D 1 0 1 1 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 1 1 7
Dan T 1 1 1 1 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 1 0 7
Erland 1 0 1 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 1 1 0 6
Peter S 1 0 1 1 1 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 0 0 1 0 8
Gareth 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 0 1 1 1 1 0 1 1 14
Calvin 1 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 1 1 0 1 0 7
Chris 1 1 1 1 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 1 0 7
---------- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -----
totals 9 5 9 8 3 6 3 2 1 2 1 5 3 2 9 2 70

the winner by a large margin is Gareth! you obviously have great taste in music. well done young man. you may now set RQ260 in a manner that is pleasing to you.

swp, who has spent too much time in hospitals recently

Mark Brader

Jun 15, 2017, 9:11:38 PM6/15/17
Stephen Perry:
> name a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p total
> ---------- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -----
> Mark B 1 1 1 1 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 6

No, I said Peter, Paul, and Mary. If this is the only scoring error,
that correctly leaves me in last place#. I'm not surprised, but I am
annoyed that I missed ABBA.

#- Is it so much trouble to sort by score?
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "One thing that surprises you about this business
m...@vex.net | is the surprises." -- Tim Baker

swp

Jun 15, 2017, 11:22:47 PM6/15/17
On Thursday, June 15, 2017 at 9:11:38 PM UTC-4, Mark Brader wrote:
> Stephen Perry:
> > name a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p total
> > ---------- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -----
> > Mark B 1 1 1 1 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 6
>
> No, I said Peter, Paul, and Mary. If this is the only scoring error,

they did a cover of it, and I failed to ask for the original artist. I may as well have put the lyrics to 'happy birthday' in this category. at least no one gave the k-pop covers.

> that correctly leaves me in last place#. I'm not surprised, but I am
> annoyed that I missed ABBA.

I was very surprised at how few people got k, but not at who did.

> #- Is it so much trouble to sort by score?

no, but why would we want to do that? sorting by date of entry allows me to visually see that tie-breaker more easily. but that's just me.

> --
> Mark Brader, Toronto | "One thing that surprises you about this business
> m...@vex.net | is the surprises." -- Tim Baker
>
> My text in this article is in the public domain.

swp

Mark Brader

Jun 16, 2017, 3:02:10 AM6/16/17
Mark Brader:
> > No, I said Peter, Paul, and Mary...

Stephen Perry:
> they did a cover of it, and I failed to ask for the original artist.

Oh. You might have mentioned that. I was just guessing who might have
done it.

> > #- Is it so much trouble to sort by score?

> no, but why would we want to do that?

Because that's how standings are shown. Gareth deserves his name to be
at the top of the table, not me.

> sorting by date of entry allows me to visually see that tie-breaker
> more easily.

Well, you could always sort by date within score. Or produce both
versions for your own use; you don't need to post both.
--
Mark Brader | Obviously an off by 1 error somewhere. You know
Toronto | the kind, where you intend to put something simple

Erland Sommarskog

Jun 16, 2017, 3:11:37 AM6/16/17
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> Because that's how standings are shown. Gareth deserves his name to be
> at the top of the table, not me.

Well, don't be so quick to post your answers then! :-)

swp

Jun 16, 2017, 8:13:32 PM6/16/17
On Friday, June 16, 2017 at 3:11:37 AM UTC-4, Erland Sommarskog wrote:
> Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> > Because that's how standings are shown. Gareth deserves his name to be
> > at the top of the table, not me.
>
> Well, don't be so quick to post your answers then! :-)

good points all around.

name a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p total
---------- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -----
Gareth 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 0 1 1 1 1 0 1 1 14
Dan B 1 1 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 1 1 0 8
Peter S 1 0 1 1 1 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 0 0 1 0 8
Marc D 1 0 1 1 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 1 1 7
Dan T 1 1 1 1 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 1 0 7
Calvin 1 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 1 1 0 1 0 7
Chris 1 1 1 1 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 1 0 7
Erland 1 0 1 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 1 1 0 6
Mark B 1 1 1 1 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 6
---------- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -----

Gareth Owen

Jun 18, 2017, 2:17:53 AM6/18/17
swp <stephen...@gmail.com> writes:

> good points all around.
>
> name a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p total
> Gareth 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 0 1 1 1 1 0 1 1 14

It'll be early next week when I put this up.
Too many things on this weekend.

Thanks for the quiz, Stephen.