QFTCIMM16 Game 10, Rounds 7-8: your body and every dog

Mark Brader

Mar 25, 2017, 12:54:51 AM3/25/17
These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2016-11-28,
and should be interpreted accordingly.

Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

All questions were written by members of the Misplaced Modifiers
and are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
see my 2016-11-26 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

* Game 10, Round 7 - Science - It's Your Body

1. What mineral is necessary for the production of thyroid hormones?

2. During childbirth, which hormone is released to produce uterine
contractions?

3. Red blood cells are produced where in the body?

4. In the "fight or flight" response, the hormone epinephrine is
released by which gland(s)?

5. Which organ in the immune system recycles iron, removes old red
blood cells, and holds a reserve of blood that can be used in
case of hemorrhagic shock?

6. The Rh factor of blood was discovered by immunizing rabbits
with red blood cells from which other animal?

7. The liver produces which alkaline compound that aids in digestion
via the emulsification of lipids?

8. The testes are the main component in the male reproductive
system. In which *other* body system do they play an important
part?

9. Gigantism is a rare condition which occurs when too much growth
hormone is produced by which gland(s)?

10. The skin is the largest organ of the human body. What is the
largest *internal* organ, by mass?

After completing the round, please decode the rot13: Vs nal bs
lbhe nafjref jrer "obar" be "zbaxrl", tb onpx naq znxr gurz zber
fcrpvsvp.

* Game 10, Round 8 - Canadiana - Every Dog has his Day

Sure, every Canadian knows that September 3 is Merchant Navy
Veterans' Day, or that the third week of June is National Public
Service Week. But what about those other national days and
observances on the federal government's calendar? Lest we forget,
these 10 questions deal with legislated days of observation or
commemoration.

1. In 2014, January 21 was designated a day to honor this Canadian,
who according to the act was "the first Black Canadian to be
elected as Member of Parliament..., to be appointed as Cabinet
minister and to be appointed Lieutenant Governor". Who?

2. What event in 1965 is commemorated every February 15?

3. Only two former Prime Ministers are officially commemorated.
Sir John A. Macdonald Day is set as January 11 -- the day of
his birth in 1815. The other PM is also commemorated on the
anniversary of his birth: November 20, 1841. Who's that?

4. From the preamble of the act: "April 9, 1917, was the first
time that Canadians from coast to coast fought in a battle
together against a common enemy." Now every year on that day,
the flag on the Peace Tower is flown at half-mast. What day
is April 9?

5. In 1996, the federal Government declared February as Black
History Month. There are two other months designated to
celebrate the achievements of an ethnic group. One is May,
the other is June. Name either group.

6. By what other name is the Fête Nationale known?

7. July 28 is proclaimed the Day of Commemoration of the Great
Upheaval. This day remembers events from over 250 years ago.
What was the Great Upheaval?

8. The National Day of Remembrance and Action on Violence Against
Women falls on the anniversary of a tragic day in our recent
history. On what date does this day occur?

9. December 11 remembers the day in 1931 when an act of the British
Parliament affirmed Canadian autonomy and recognized the
practical independence of the dominions. What was the name of
that act?

10. The date of Yom ha-Shoah is determined by a lunar calendar.
It's a remembrance day for what event?

--
Mark Brader | "I'm a little worried about the bug-eater", she said.
Toronto | "We're embedded in bugs, have you noticed?"

Joshua Kreitzer

Mar 25, 2017, 1:52:02 AM3/25/17
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:Ns6dnelnz_mLZUjFnZ2dnUU7-
KnN...@giganews.com:

> * Game 10, Round 7 - Science - It's Your Body
>
> 1. What mineral is necessary for the production of thyroid hormones?

iron

> 2. During childbirth, which hormone is released to produce uterine
> contractions?

oxytocin (?)

> 3. Red blood cells are produced where in the body?

bone marrow

> 4. In the "fight or flight" response, the hormone epinephrine is
> released by which gland(s)?

adrenal

> 5. Which organ in the immune system recycles iron, removes old red
> blood cells, and holds a reserve of blood that can be used in
> case of hemorrhagic shock?

spleen

> 6. The Rh factor of blood was discovered by immunizing rabbits
> with red blood cells from which other animal?

rhesus monkey

> 9. Gigantism is a rare condition which occurs when too much growth
> hormone is produced by which gland(s)?

pituitary

> 10. The skin is the largest organ of the human body. What is the
> largest *internal* organ, by mass?

liver

> After completing the round, please decode the rot13: Vs nal bs
> lbhe nafjref jrer "obar" be "zbaxrl", tb onpx naq znxr gurz zber
> fcrpvsvp.
>
> * Game 10, Round 8 - Canadiana - Every Dog has his Day
>
> 2. What event in 1965 is commemorated every February 15?

adoption of the Canadian flag

> 4. From the preamble of the act: "April 9, 1917, was the first
> time that Canadians from coast to coast fought in a battle
> together against a common enemy." Now every year on that day,
> the flag on the Peace Tower is flown at half-mast. What day
> is April 9?

Battle of Vimy Day

> 5. In 1996, the federal Government declared February as Black
> History Month. There are two other months designated to
> celebrate the achievements of an ethnic group. One is May,
> the other is June. Name either group.

First Nations

> 6. By what other name is the Fête Nationale known?

Canada Day

> 9. December 11 remembers the day in 1931 when an act of the British
> Parliament affirmed Canadian autonomy and recognized the
> practical independence of the dominions. What was the name of
> that act?

Statute of Westminster

> 10. The date of Yom ha-Shoah is determined by a lunar calendar.
> It's a remembrance day for what event?

the Holocaust

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

Marc Dashevsky

Mar 25, 2017, 3:46:17 AM3/25/17
In article <Ns6dnelnz_mLZUjF...@giganews.com>, m...@vex.net says...
> * Game 10, Round 7 - Science - It's Your Body
>
> 1. What mineral is necessary for the production of thyroid hormones?
iodine

> 2. During childbirth, which hormone is released to produce uterine
> contractions?
progesterone

> 3. Red blood cells are produced where in the body?
bone marrow

> 4. In the "fight or flight" response, the hormone epinephrine is
> released by which gland(s)?
adrenal

> 5. Which organ in the immune system recycles iron, removes old red
> blood cells, and holds a reserve of blood that can be used in
> case of hemorrhagic shock?
spleen

> 6. The Rh factor of blood was discovered by immunizing rabbits
> with red blood cells from which other animal?
rhesus monkey

> 7. The liver produces which alkaline compound that aids in digestion
> via the emulsification of lipids?
bile

> 8. The testes are the main component in the male reproductive
> system. In which *other* body system do they play an important
> part?
>
> 9. Gigantism is a rare condition which occurs when too much growth
> hormone is produced by which gland(s)?
pituitary

> 10. The skin is the largest organ of the human body. What is the
> largest *internal* organ, by mass?
liver
Bastille Day?

> 7. July 28 is proclaimed the Day of Commemoration of the Great
> Upheaval. This day remembers events from over 250 years ago.
> What was the Great Upheaval?
expulsion of the Acadians

> 8. The National Day of Remembrance and Action on Violence Against
> Women falls on the anniversary of a tragic day in our recent
> history. On what date does this day occur?
>
> 9. December 11 remembers the day in 1931 when an act of the British
> Parliament affirmed Canadian autonomy and recognized the
> practical independence of the dominions. What was the name of
> that act?
>
> 10. The date of Yom ha-Shoah is determined by a lunar calendar.
> It's a remembrance day for what event?
the Holocaust

Don Piven

Mar 25, 2017, 8:08:12 AM3/25/17
On 3/24/17 23:54, Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2016-11-28,

> Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of the Misplaced Modifiers
> and are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
> have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
> see my 2016-11-26 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 10, Round 7 - Science - It's Your Body
>
> 1. What mineral is necessary for the production of thyroid hormones?

Iodine.

> 2. During childbirth, which hormone is released to produce uterine
> contractions?

Oxytocin.

> 3. Red blood cells are produced where in the body?

Bone marrow.

> 4. In the "fight or flight" response, the hormone epinephrine is
> released by which gland(s)?

Adrenal.

> 5. Which organ in the immune system recycles iron, removes old red
> blood cells, and holds a reserve of blood that can be used in
> case of hemorrhagic shock?

Liver.

> 6. The Rh factor of blood was discovered by immunizing rabbits
> with red blood cells from which other animal?

Rhesus monkey.

> 7. The liver produces which alkaline compound that aids in digestion
> via the emulsification of lipids?

Bile.

> 8. The testes are the main component in the male reproductive
> system. In which *other* body system do they play an important
> part?

Endocrine.

> 9. Gigantism is a rare condition which occurs when too much growth
> hormone is produced by which gland(s)?

Pituitary.

> 10. The skin is the largest organ of the human body. What is the
> largest *internal* organ, by mass?

Liver.
First Nations.

> 6. By what other name is the Fête Nationale known?
>
> 7. July 28 is proclaimed the Day of Commemoration of the Great
> Upheaval. This day remembers events from over 250 years ago.
> What was the Great Upheaval?
>
> 8. The National Day of Remembrance and Action on Violence Against
> Women falls on the anniversary of a tragic day in our recent
> history. On what date does this day occur?
>
> 9. December 11 remembers the day in 1931 when an act of the British
> Parliament affirmed Canadian autonomy and recognized the
> practical independence of the dominions. What was the name of
> that act?
>
> 10. The date of Yom ha-Shoah is determined by a lunar calendar.
> It's a remembrance day for what event?

Holocaust.

Dan Blum

Mar 25, 2017, 10:38:27 AM3/25/17
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 10, Round 7 - Science - It's Your Body

> 1. What mineral is necessary for the production of thyroid hormones?

iodine

> 3. Red blood cells are produced where in the body?

bone marrow

> 4. In the "fight or flight" response, the hormone epinephrine is
> released by which gland(s)?

adrenal

> 5. Which organ in the immune system recycles iron, removes old red
> blood cells, and holds a reserve of blood that can be used in
> case of hemorrhagic shock?

spleen

> 6. The Rh factor of blood was discovered by immunizing rabbits
> with red blood cells from which other animal?

rhesus monkeys

> 7. The liver produces which alkaline compound that aids in digestion
> via the emulsification of lipids?

bile

> 8. The testes are the main component in the male reproductive
> system. In which *other* body system do they play an important
> part?

endocrine

> 9. Gigantism is a rare condition which occurs when too much growth
> hormone is produced by which gland(s)?

pituitary

> 10. The skin is the largest organ of the human body. What is the
> largest *internal* organ, by mass?

liver; small intestine

> * Game 10, Round 8 - Canadiana - Every Dog has his Day

> 3. Only two former Prime Ministers are officially commemorated.
> Sir John A. Macdonald Day is set as January 11 -- the day of
> his birth in 1815. The other PM is also commemorated on the
> anniversary of his birth: November 20, 1841. Who's that?

King

> 5. In 1996, the federal Government declared February as Black
> History Month. There are two other months designated to
> celebrate the achievements of an ethnic group. One is May,
> the other is June. Name either group.

First Nations

> 6. By what other name is the F?te Nationale known?

Thanksgiving

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Pete Gayde

Mar 26, 2017, 1:26:05 AM3/26/17
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:Ns6dnelnz_mLZUjFnZ2dnUU7-
KnN...@giganews.com:

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2016-11-28,

> Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of the Misplaced Modifiers
> and are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
> have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
> see my 2016-11-26 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 10, Round 7 - Science - It's Your Body
>
> 1. What mineral is necessary for the production of thyroid hormones?
>
> 2. During childbirth, which hormone is released to produce uterine
> contractions?
>
> 3. Red blood cells are produced where in the body?

Bone marrow

> 4. In the "fight or flight" response, the hormone epinephrine is
> released by which gland(s)?
>
> 5. Which organ in the immune system recycles iron, removes old red
> blood cells, and holds a reserve of blood that can be used in
> case of hemorrhagic shock?

Spleen; Kidney

> 6. The Rh factor of blood was discovered by immunizing rabbits
> with red blood cells from which other animal?

Rhesus monkeys

> 7. The liver produces which alkaline compound that aids in digestion
> via the emulsification of lipids?
>
> 8. The testes are the main component in the male reproductive
> system. In which *other* body system do they play an important
> part?
>
> 9. Gigantism is a rare condition which occurs when too much growth
> hormone is produced by which gland(s)?

Pituitary

> 10. The skin is the largest organ of the human body. What is the
> largest *internal* organ, by mass?

Lungs
> 6. By what other name is the Fęte Nationale known?
>
> 7. July 28 is proclaimed the Day of Commemoration of the Great
> Upheaval. This day remembers events from over 250 years ago.
> What was the Great Upheaval?
>
> 8. The National Day of Remembrance and Action on Violence Against
> Women falls on the anniversary of a tragic day in our recent
> history. On what date does this day occur?
>
> 9. December 11 remembers the day in 1931 when an act of the British
> Parliament affirmed Canadian autonomy and recognized the
> practical independence of the dominions. What was the name of
> that act?
>
> 10. The date of Yom ha-Shoah is determined by a lunar calendar.
> It's a remembrance day for what event?

Pete Gayde

---
http://www.avg.com

Peter Smyth

Mar 26, 2017, 7:27:35 AM3/26/17
Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 10, Round 7 - Science - It's Your Body
>
> 1. What mineral is necessary for the production of thyroid hormones?
Iodine
> 2. During childbirth, which hormone is released to produce uterine
> contractions?
>
> 3. Red blood cells are produced where in the body?
Bone marrow
> 4. In the "fight or flight" response, the hormone epinephrine is
> released by which gland(s)?
Adrenal
> 5. Which organ in the immune system recycles iron, removes old red
> blood cells, and holds a reserve of blood that can be used in
> case of hemorrhagic shock?
Spleen
> 6. The Rh factor of blood was discovered by immunizing rabbits
> with red blood cells from which other animal?
Rhesus Monkey
> 7. The liver produces which alkaline compound that aids in digestion
> via the emulsification of lipids?
>
> 8. The testes are the main component in the male reproductive
> system. In which other body system do they play an important
> part?
Hormonal
> 9. Gigantism is a rare condition which occurs when too much growth
> hormone is produced by which gland(s)?
Pitiuatary
> 10. The skin is the largest organ of the human body. What is the
> largest internal organ, by mass?
Liver
> After completing the round, please decode the rot13: If any of
> your answers were "bone" or "monkey", go back and make them more
> specific.
>

> * Game 10, Round 8 - Canadiana - Every Dog has his Day
>
> Sure, every Canadian knows that September 3 is Merchant Navy
> Veterans' Day, or that the third week of June is National Public
> Service Week. But what about those other national days and
> observances on the federal government's calendar? Lest we forget,
> these 10 questions deal with legislated days of observation or
> commemoration.
>
> 1. In 2014, January 21 was designated a day to honor this Canadian,
> who according to the act was "the first Black Canadian to be
> elected as Member of Parliament..., to be appointed as Cabinet
> minister and to be appointed Lieutenant Governor". Who?
>
> 2. What event in 1965 is commemorated every February 15?
>
> 3. Only two former Prime Ministers are officially commemorated.
> Sir John A. Macdonald Day is set as January 11 -- the day of
> his birth in 1815. The other PM is also commemorated on the
> anniversary of his birth: November 20, 1841. Who's that?
Mackenzie King
> 4. From the preamble of the act: "April 9, 1917, was the first
> time that Canadians from coast to coast fought in a battle
> together against a common enemy." Now every year on that day,
> the flag on the Peace Tower is flown at half-mast. What day
> is April 9?
>
> 5. In 1996, the federal Government declared February as Black
> History Month. There are two other months designated to
> celebrate the achievements of an ethnic group. One is May,
> the other is June. Name either group.
First Nations
> 6. By what other name is the Fęte Nationale known?
>
> 7. July 28 is proclaimed the Day of Commemoration of the Great
> Upheaval. This day remembers events from over 250 years ago.
> What was the Great Upheaval?
>
> 8. The National Day of Remembrance and Action on Violence Against
> Women falls on the anniversary of a tragic day in our recent
> history. On what date does this day occur?
The anniversary of Donald Trump's election
> 9. December 11 remembers the day in 1931 when an act of the British
> Parliament affirmed Canadian autonomy and recognized the
> practical independence of the dominions. What was the name of
> that act?
Treaty of Westminster
> 10. The date of Yom ha-Shoah is determined by a lunar calendar.
> It's a remembrance day for what event?
Holocaust

Peter Smyth

Dan Tilque

Mar 26, 2017, 6:23:33 PM3/26/17
Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 10, Round 7 - Science - It's Your Body
>
> 1. What mineral is necessary for the production of thyroid hormones?

iodine

> 2. During childbirth, which hormone is released to produce uterine
> contractions?
>
> 3. Red blood cells are produced where in the body?

bone marrow

> 4. In the "fight or flight" response, the hormone epinephrine is
> released by which gland(s)?

pineal

> 5. Which organ in the immune system recycles iron, removes old red
> blood cells, and holds a reserve of blood that can be used in
> case of hemorrhagic shock?

liver

> 6. The Rh factor of blood was discovered by immunizing rabbits
> with red blood cells from which other animal?
>
> 7. The liver produces which alkaline compound that aids in digestion
> via the emulsification of lipids?

bile

> 8. The testes are the main component in the male reproductive
> system. In which *other* body system do they play an important
> part?

endocrine

> 9. Gigantism is a rare condition which occurs when too much growth
> hormone is produced by which gland(s)?

thyroid

> 10. The skin is the largest organ of the human body. What is the
> largest *internal* organ, by mass?

liver

> After completing the round, please decode the rot13: Vs nal bs
> lbhe nafjref jrer "obar" be "zbaxrl", tb onpx naq znxr gurz zber
> fcrpvsvp.
>

> * Game 10, Round 8 - Canadiana - Every Dog has his Day
>
> Sure, every Canadian knows that September 3 is Merchant Navy
> Veterans' Day, or that the third week of June is National Public
> Service Week. But what about those other national days and
> observances on the federal government's calendar? Lest we forget,
> these 10 questions deal with legislated days of observation or
> commemoration.
>
> 1. In 2014, January 21 was designated a day to honor this Canadian,
> who according to the act was "the first Black Canadian to be
> elected as Member of Parliament..., to be appointed as Cabinet
> minister and to be appointed Lieutenant Governor". Who?
>
> 2. What event in 1965 is commemorated every February 15?
>
> 3. Only two former Prime Ministers are officially commemorated.
> Sir John A. Macdonald Day is set as January 11 -- the day of
> his birth in 1815. The other PM is also commemorated on the
> anniversary of his birth: November 20, 1841. Who's that?

McKenzie

> 4. From the preamble of the act: "April 9, 1917, was the first
> time that Canadians from coast to coast fought in a battle
> together against a common enemy." Now every year on that day,
> the flag on the Peace Tower is flown at half-mast. What day
> is April 9?
>
> 5. In 1996, the federal Government declared February as Black
> History Month. There are two other months designated to
> celebrate the achievements of an ethnic group. One is May,
> the other is June. Name either group.

First Nations

> 6. By what other name is the Fęte Nationale known?

Canada Day

> 7. July 28 is proclaimed the Day of Commemoration of the Great
> Upheaval. This day remembers events from over 250 years ago.
> What was the Great Upheaval?

Britain taking over New France

> 8. The National Day of Remembrance and Action on Violence Against
> Women falls on the anniversary of a tragic day in our recent
> history. On what date does this day occur?
>
> 9. December 11 remembers the day in 1931 when an act of the British
> Parliament affirmed Canadian autonomy and recognized the
> practical independence of the dominions. What was the name of
> that act?
>
> 10. The date of Yom ha-Shoah is determined by a lunar calendar.
> It's a remembrance day for what event?

--
Dan Tilque

Jason Kreitzer

Mar 26, 2017, 7:17:24 PM3/26/17
On Saturday, March 25, 2017 at 12:54:51 AM UTC-4, Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2016-11-28,

> Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of the Misplaced Modifiers
> and are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
> have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
> see my 2016-11-26 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 10, Round 7 - Science - It's Your Body
>
> 1. What mineral is necessary for the production of thyroid hormones?
Iron?
> 2. During childbirth, which hormone is released to produce uterine
> contractions?
>
> 3. Red blood cells are produced where in the body?
>
> 4. In the "fight or flight" response, the hormone epinephrine is
> released by which gland(s)?
Adrenals?
> 5. Which organ in the immune system recycles iron, removes old red
> blood cells, and holds a reserve of blood that can be used in
> case of hemorrhagic shock?
>
> 6. The Rh factor of blood was discovered by immunizing rabbits
> with red blood cells from which other animal?
>
> 7. The liver produces which alkaline compound that aids in digestion
> via the emulsification of lipids?
>
> 8. The testes are the main component in the male reproductive
> system. In which *other* body system do they play an important
> part?
Digestive
> 9. Gigantism is a rare condition which occurs when too much growth
> hormone is produced by which gland(s)?
>
> 10. The skin is the largest organ of the human body. What is the
> largest *internal* organ, by mass?
Heart?
The Holocaust

Calvin

Mar 26, 2017, 8:32:45 PM3/26/17
On Saturday, March 25, 2017 at 2:54:51 PM UTC+10, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 10, Round 7 - Science - It's Your Body
>
> 1. What mineral is necessary for the production of thyroid hormones?

Iodine

> 2. During childbirth, which hormone is released to produce uterine
> contractions?
>
> 3. Red blood cells are produced where in the body?

Bone marrow

> 4. In the "fight or flight" response, the hormone epinephrine is
> released by which gland(s)?

Pituitary, adrenal

> 5. Which organ in the immune system recycles iron, removes old red
> blood cells, and holds a reserve of blood that can be used in
> case of hemorrhagic shock?

Kidneys, liver

> 6. The Rh factor of blood was discovered by immunizing rabbits
> with red blood cells from which other animal?
>
> 7. The liver produces which alkaline compound that aids in digestion
> via the emulsification of lipids?

Bile

> 8. The testes are the main component in the male reproductive
> system. In which *other* body system do they play an important
> part?

Endocrine, exocrine

> 9. Gigantism is a rare condition which occurs when too much growth
> hormone is produced by which gland(s)?

Pituitary, adrenal

> 10. The skin is the largest organ of the human body. What is the
> largest *internal* organ, by mass?

Liver

> * Game 10, Round 8 - Canadiana - Every Dog has his Day

Pass

cheers,
calvin

Bruce

Mar 27, 2017, 9:05:08 AM3/27/17
On Fri, 24 Mar 2017 23:54:46 -0500, Mark Brader wrote:

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2016-11-28, and
> should be interpreted accordingly.
>
> On each question you may give up to two answers, but if you give both a
> right answer and a wrong answer, there is a small penalty. Please post
> all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup, based only on
> your own knowledge. (In your answer posting, quote the questions and
> place your answer below each one.) I will reveal the correct answers in
> about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of the Misplaced Modifiers and are
> used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have been
> retyped and/or edited by me. For further information see my 2016-11-26
> companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 10, Round 7 - Science - It's Your Body
>
> 1. What mineral is necessary for the production of thyroid hormones?

iodine

> 2. During childbirth, which hormone is released to produce uterine
> contractions?

oxytocin

> 3. Red blood cells are produced where in the body?

bone marrow

> 4. In the "fight or flight" response, the hormone epinephrine is
> released by which gland(s)?

pituitary

> 5. Which organ in the immune system recycles iron, removes old red
> blood cells, and holds a reserve of blood that can be used in case of
> hemorrhagic shock?

spleen

> 6. The Rh factor of blood was discovered by immunizing rabbits
> with red blood cells from which other animal?

Rhesus monkeys

> 7. The liver produces which alkaline compound that aids in digestion
> via the emulsification of lipids?
>
> 8. The testes are the main component in the male reproductive
> system. In which *other* body system do they play an important part?
>
> 9. Gigantism is a rare condition which occurs when too much growth
> hormone is produced by which gland(s)?

pituitary

> 10. The skin is the largest organ of the human body. What is the
> largest *internal* organ, by mass?

liver

> After completing the round, please decode the rot13: Vs nal bs lbhe
> nafjref jrer "obar" be "zbaxrl", tb onpx naq znxr gurz zber fcrpvsvp.
>

> * Game 10, Round 8 - Canadiana - Every Dog has his Day

nope

Mark Brader

Mar 28, 2017, 2:38:06 PM3/28/17
Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2016-11-28,
> see my 2016-11-26 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

> * Game 10, Round 7 - Science - It's Your Body

> 1. What mineral is necessary for the production of thyroid hormones?

Iodine was the expected answer, as the hormones contain it, but iron
is also correct, as the reactions that produce them involve at least
one iron compound. So, 4 for Joshua, Marc, Don, Dan Blum, Peter,
Dan Tilque, Jason, Calvin, and Bruce.

> 2. During childbirth, which hormone is released to produce uterine
> contractions?

Oxytocin. 4 for Joshua, Don, and Bruce.

> 3. Red blood cells are produced where in the body?

Bone marrow. 4 for Joshua, Marc, Don, Dan Blum, Pete, Peter,
Dan Tilque, Calvin, and Bruce.

> 4. In the "fight or flight" response, the hormone epinephrine is
> released by which gland(s)?

Adrenal (hence its other name, adrenaline). 4 for Joshua, Marc,
Don, Dan Blum, Peter, and Jason. 2 for Calvin.

> 5. Which organ in the immune system recycles iron, removes old red
> blood cells, and holds a reserve of blood that can be used in
> case of hemorrhagic shock?

Spleen. 4 for Joshua, Marc, Dan Blum, Peter, and Bruce. 3 for Pete.

> 6. The Rh factor of blood was discovered by immunizing rabbits
> with red blood cells from which other animal?

Rhesus monkey. (Both words required.) 4 for Joshua, Marc, Don,
Dan Blum, Pete, Peter, and Bruce.

> 7. The liver produces which alkaline compound that aids in digestion
> via the emulsification of lipids?

Bile. 4 for Marc, Don, Dan Blum, Dan Tilque, and Calvin.

> 8. The testes are the main component in the male reproductive
> system. In which *other* body system do they play an important
> part?

Endocrine. (Also accepting hormonal. They produce androgens,
primarily testosterone.) 4 for Don, Dan Blum, Peter, and Dan Tilque.
3 for Calvin.

> 9. Gigantism is a rare condition which occurs when too much growth
> hormone is produced by which gland(s)?

Pituitary. 4 for Joshua, Marc, Don, Dan Blum, Pete, Peter, and Bruce.
3 for Calvin.

> 10. The skin is the largest organ of the human body. What is the
> largest *internal* organ, by mass?

Liver. 4 for Joshua, Marc, Don, Peter, Dan Tilque, Calvin, and Bruce.
3 for Dan Blum.

> * Game 10, Round 8 - Canadiana - Every Dog has his Day

> Sure, every Canadian knows that September 3 is Merchant Navy
> Veterans' Day, or that the third week of June is National Public
> Service Week. But what about those other national days and
> observances on the federal government's calendar? Lest we forget,
> these 10 questions deal with legislated days of observation or
> commemoration.

> 1. In 2014, January 21 was designated a day to honor this Canadian,
> who according to the act was "the first Black Canadian to be
> elected as Member of Parliament..., to be appointed as Cabinet
> minister and to be appointed Lieutenant Governor". Who?

Lincoln Alexander.

> 2. What event in 1965 is commemorated every February 15?

Adoption of the Canadian flag. 4 for Joshua.

In the original game it said "major event". Sheesh.

> 3. Only two former Prime Ministers are officially commemorated.
> Sir John A. Macdonald Day is set as January 11 -- the day of
> his birth in 1815. The other PM is also commemorated on the
> anniversary of his birth: November 20, 1841. Who's that?

Sir Wilfrid Laurier.

> 4. From the preamble of the act: "April 9, 1917, was the first
> time that Canadians from coast to coast fought in a battle
> together against a common enemy." Now every year on that day,
> the flag on the Peace Tower is flown at half-mast. What day
> is April 9?

Vimy Ridge Day. I accepted "Battle of Vimy Day". 4 for Joshua.

> 5. In 1996, the federal Government declared February as Black
> History Month. There are two other months designated to
> celebrate the achievements of an ethnic group. One is May,
> the other is June. Name either group.

Asians, aboriginals. I decided to score too-specific answers as
almost correct, and "First Nations" only includes those aboriginals
who we used to call (and who in many official usages still are called)
Indians. So, 3 for Joshua, Don, Dan Blum, Peter, and Dan Tilque.

> 6. By what other name is the Fête Nationale known?

St-Jean-Baptiste Day. (The "nation" in question is Quebec.)

> 7. July 28 is proclaimed the Day of Commemoration of the Great
> Upheaval. This day remembers events from over 250 years ago.
> What was the Great Upheaval?

The deportation of the Acadians from Nova Scotia. 4 for Marc.

As I said on 2016-09-15 in connection with QFTCI16 Game 7, Round 2,
where one of the questions was about the group's flag:

The Acadians descend from people who were French colonists in what
is now Nova Scotia. After it became a British colony, there was a
period when they were suspected of disloyalty and deported to other
British colonies (unless they successfully hid from the British).
Eventually they were welcomed back, often settling in the other
colonies that are now Atlantic Canada; however, some chose to go to
the French colony of Louisiana, where they became known as "Cajuns".

> 8. The National Day of Remembrance and Action on Violence Against
> Women falls on the anniversary of a tragic day in our recent
> history. On what date does this day occur?

December 6. (The 1989 mass murder at Montreal's École Polytechnique.)

> 9. December 11 remembers the day in 1931 when an act of the British
> Parliament affirmed Canadian autonomy and recognized the
> practical independence of the dominions. What was the name of
> that act?

The Statute of Westminster. I scored "Treaty of Westminster"
as almost correct; an act of Parliament would not be a treaty,
but you were only asked for the name. 4 for Joshua. 3 for Peter.

> 10. The date of Yom ha-Shoah is determined by a lunar calendar.
> It's a remembrance day for what event?

The Holocaust. 4 for Joshua, Marc, Don, Peter, and Jason.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 10 ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 6 7 8 BEST
TOPICS-> Can Spo His Lit Sci Can FOUR
Joshua Kreitzer 12 12 32 32 32 19 115
Dan Blum 16 10 32 23 35 3 106
Dan Tilque 20 12 36 20 20 3 96
Peter Smyth 0 32 12 16 32 10 92
"Calvin" 0 22 25 16 24 0 87
Don Piven 23 12 -- -- 36 7 78
Marc Dashevsky 4 4 20 16 32 8 76
Pete Gayde 9 20 20 16 15 0 71
Bruce Bowler 8 19 8 12 28 0 67
Erland Sommarskog 4 12 23 8 -- -- 47
Jason Kreitzer 0 0 8 20 8 4 40

--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "Domine, defende nos
m...@vex.net | Contra hos stupidos DOS!" -- after A. D. Godley