QFTCISG Game 10, Rounds 9-10: extinct, last challenge

Mark Brader

Jan 23, 2018, 3:31:55 AM1/23/18
These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2017-11-27,
and should be interpreted accordingly.

Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

All questions were written by members of Smith & Guessin' and are
used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information see
my 2017-09-25 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

** Game 10, Round 9 - Science - Extinct Animals

Very recently, the Javan rhino was officially declared extinct.
The following is a round on extinct animals found all over the
world. In all cases, be sufficiently specific, e.g. "Bactrian
camel" rather than "camel", and excess specificity will be forgiven.

1. This creature was a giraffid that would grow to be almost 8 feet
tall, with an estimated mass of over 2,000 pounds. It is
considered the largest ruminant to have ever existed. Having
existed in western India, makes sense that it was named after
this supreme Hindu god. What is this beast known as?

2. This extinct canis species has been found all across North
America. Last alive around 10,000 years ago, it was around the
same size of a modern day grey wolf. What was this wolf's name?
"Game of Thrones" fans might be familiar with it.

3. This creature was the largest carnivorous marsupial of modern
times; it became extinct in the 1900s. It was named a "tiger"
due to its striped back, but it was in fact not related
to felines. What is the Australian province it was also
named after?

4. This flightless bird resembled penguins although it was actually
not related to them. Living in the North Atlantic, it would
be hunted to extinction in the 1800s off the coast of Iceland.
It was a symbolic item in a number of maritime Native American
cultures. What bird is this?

5. This subspecies of bear was found in North America up until
the 1900s when it was hunted to extinction. In the 1800s it
was the symbol of the Bear Flag Republic, a group of American
settlers looking to break away from Mexico. It still exists
on a flag today. What is the name of this bear?

6. The Caucasus wisent existed in herds in the Caucasian mountains
all the way until 1927, when hunters killed the last wisent.
Today a hybrid exists that has been reintroduced into the area.
What animal is a wisent most closely related to?

7. This group of bats are termed "megabats", being almost double
the weight of others and having wingspans up to 4 feet.
While some still exist today, most of their species have become
extinct due to poaching and habitat loss. What are these bats
known as -- named after another small mammal?

8. Many people know about the woolly mammoth that lived in the north
up until several thousand years ago, but another large mammal,
this one in Africa, also had a woolly counterpart. Up to 6,000
pounds and with horns around 2 feet long, it is similar in size
to modern species of this animal. What is this extinct creature?

9. The tarpan was a wild one of these creatures that roamed across
Europe, ranging from southern France all the way into Russia.
The last tarpan died in captivity in Russia in 1909. It was
crossbred with domesticated varieties across Europe. What type
of animal is a tarpan?

10. The dodo was a flightless bird that would grow to be around
a meter tall and weigh around 30 pounds. It was quickly wiped
out due to hunting and invasive species, the last known sighting
being in 1662. On *what Indian Ocean island* did the dodo live?

** Game 10, Round 10 - Challenge Round - Lasts

* A. Science Lasts

A1. In 1978, an English medical photographer died after being
exposed to a virus in a lab accident. She's the last person
to die from this disease, which the World Health Organization
declared in 1980 had been eradicated. What disease?

A2. The last (or latest) person to stand on the moon has been
US astronaut Eugene Cernan, in December 1972. *Which number*
in the Apollo series was his mission?

* B. Last Concerts

B1. The Beatles' last concert took place 1966-08-29, in which
US city?

B2. Elvis Presley's last concert was in Indianapolis in June
1977. Which Simon and Garfunkel standard was the last song
he performed publicly?

* C. Last Winners

C1. Who was the last Canadian to win the Canadian Open golf
championship? He accomplished the feat in 1954.

C2. In 1938, Gordie Drillon became the last Toronto Maple Leaf
to do what?

* D. Canadian Lasts

D1. Sergeant Ernest "Smokey" Smith, who died in 2005, was the
last living Canadian recipient of which military decoration?

D2. Canada's last executions were of convicted murderers Ronald
Turpin and Arthur Lucas in December 1962. At which Ontario
prison did the hangings take place? Part of the building
has since been demolished, and the rest repurposed.

* E. Last Americans

E1. Who was the last (or latest) American president *not*
born in a hospital? Hint: it happened in the 20th century.

E2. Name the American construction worker who was Elizabeth
Taylor's last husband.

* F. Last Novels

F1. Two of Ernest Hemingway's novels were published after he
died in 1961; but name the last of his novels to be published
in his lifetime. It came out in 1952.

F2. Charles Dickens's last novel was unfinished when he
died in 1870, and the ending he intended for it is unknown.
Name the novel.

--
Mark Brader, Toronto "It is almost always wrong to strive for
m...@vex.net gilt by association." --Martin Ambuhl

Dan Blum

Jan 23, 2018, 10:16:59 AM1/23/18
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> ** Game 10, Round 9 - Science - Extinct Animals

> 2. This extinct canis species has been found all across North
> America. Last alive around 10,000 years ago, it was around the
> same size of a modern day grey wolf. What was this wolf's name?
> "Game of Thrones" fans might be familiar with it.

dire wolf

> 3. This creature was the largest carnivorous marsupial of modern
> times; it became extinct in the 1900s. It was named a "tiger"
> due to its striped back, but it was in fact not related
> to felines. What is the Australian province it was also
> named after?

Tasmania

> 4. This flightless bird resembled penguins although it was actually
> not related to them. Living in the North Atlantic, it would
> be hunted to extinction in the 1800s off the coast of Iceland.
> It was a symbolic item in a number of maritime Native American
> cultures. What bird is this?

great auk

> 5. This subspecies of bear was found in North America up until
> the 1900s when it was hunted to extinction. In the 1800s it
> was the symbol of the Bear Flag Republic, a group of American
> settlers looking to break away from Mexico. It still exists
> on a flag today. What is the name of this bear?

golden bear

> 6. The Caucasus wisent existed in herds in the Caucasian mountains
> all the way until 1927, when hunters killed the last wisent.
> Today a hybrid exists that has been reintroduced into the area.
> What animal is a wisent most closely related to?

reindeer; mountain goat

> 7. This group of bats are termed "megabats", being almost double
> the weight of others and having wingspans up to 4 feet.
> While some still exist today, most of their species have become
> extinct due to poaching and habitat loss. What are these bats
> known as -- named after another small mammal?

flying foxes

> 8. Many people know about the woolly mammoth that lived in the north
> up until several thousand years ago, but another large mammal,
> this one in Africa, also had a woolly counterpart. Up to 6,000
> pounds and with horns around 2 feet long, it is similar in size
> to modern species of this animal. What is this extinct creature?

woolly rhinoceros

> 9. The tarpan was a wild one of these creatures that roamed across
> Europe, ranging from southern France all the way into Russia.
> The last tarpan died in captivity in Russia in 1909. It was
> crossbred with domesticated varieties across Europe. What type
> of animal is a tarpan?

horse

> 10. The dodo was a flightless bird that would grow to be around
> a meter tall and weigh around 30 pounds. It was quickly wiped
> out due to hunting and invasive species, the last known sighting
> being in 1662. On *what Indian Ocean island* did the dodo live?

Mauritius

> ** Game 10, Round 10 - Challenge Round - Lasts

> * A. Science Lasts

> A1. In 1978, an English medical photographer died after being
> exposed to a virus in a lab accident. She's the last person
> to die from this disease, which the World Health Organization
> declared in 1980 had been eradicated. What disease?

smallpox

> A2. The last (or latest) person to stand on the moon has been
> US astronaut Eugene Cernan, in December 1972. *Which number*
> in the Apollo series was his mission?

17

> * B. Last Concerts

> B1. The Beatles' last concert took place 1966-08-29, in which
> US city?

Los Angeles; New York

> B2. Elvis Presley's last concert was in Indianapolis in June
> 1977. Which Simon and Garfunkel standard was the last song
> he performed publicly?

Sound of Silence; Cecilia

> * D. Canadian Lasts

> D1. Sergeant Ernest "Smokey" Smith, who died in 2005, was the
> last living Canadian recipient of which military decoration?

Victoria Cross

> * E. Last Americans

> E1. Who was the last (or latest) American president *not*
> born in a hospital? Hint: it happened in the 20th century.

Ford; Carter

> E2. Name the American construction worker who was Elizabeth
> Taylor's last husband.

Fortensky

> * F. Last Novels

> F1. Two of Ernest Hemingway's novels were published after he
> died in 1961; but name the last of his novels to be published
> in his lifetime. It came out in 1952.

The Old Man and the Sea

> F2. Charles Dickens's last novel was unfinished when he
> died in 1870, and the ending he intended for it is unknown.
> Name the novel.

The Mystery of Edwin Drood

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Peter Smyth

Jan 23, 2018, 1:16:43 PM1/23/18
Mark Brader wrote:

> ** Game 10, Round 9 - Science - Extinct Animals
>
> Very recently, the Javan rhino was officially declared extinct.
> The following is a round on extinct animals found all over the
> world. In all cases, be sufficiently specific, e.g. "Bactrian
> camel" rather than "camel", and excess specificity will be forgiven.
>
> 1. This creature was a giraffid that would grow to be almost 8 feet
> tall, with an estimated mass of over 2,000 pounds. It is
> considered the largest ruminant to have ever existed. Having
> existed in western India, makes sense that it was named after
> this supreme Hindu god. What is this beast known as?
>
> 2. This extinct canis species has been found all across North
> America. Last alive around 10,000 years ago, it was around the
> same size of a modern day grey wolf. What was this wolf's name?
> "Game of Thrones" fans might be familiar with it.
Direwolf
> 3. This creature was the largest carnivorous marsupial of modern
> times; it became extinct in the 1900s. It was named a "tiger"
> due to its striped back, but it was in fact not related
> to felines. What is the Australian province it was also
> named after?
Tasmania
> 4. This flightless bird resembled penguins although it was actually
> not related to them. Living in the North Atlantic, it would
> be hunted to extinction in the 1800s off the coast of Iceland.
> It was a symbolic item in a number of maritime Native American
> cultures. What bird is this?
Great Auk
Mauritius

> ** Game 10, Round 10 - Challenge Round - Lasts
>
> * A. Science Lasts
>
> A1. In 1978, an English medical photographer died after being
> exposed to a virus in a lab accident. She's the last person
> to die from this disease, which the World Health Organization
> declared in 1980 had been eradicated. What disease?
Smallpox
> A2. The last (or latest) person to stand on the moon has been
> US astronaut Eugene Cernan, in December 1972. *Which number*
> in the Apollo series was his mission?
17

> * B. Last Concerts
>
> B1. The Beatles' last concert took place 1966-08-29, in which
> US city?
>
> B2. Elvis Presley's last concert was in Indianapolis in June
> 1977. Which Simon and Garfunkel standard was the last song
> he performed publicly?
>

> * C. Last Winners
>
> C1. Who was the last Canadian to win the Canadian Open golf
> championship? He accomplished the feat in 1954.
>
> C2. In 1938, Gordie Drillon became the last Toronto Maple Leaf
> to do what?
win the MVP award

> * D. Canadian Lasts
>
> D1. Sergeant Ernest "Smokey" Smith, who died in 2005, was the
> last living Canadian recipient of which military decoration?
Victoria Cross
> D2. Canada's last executions were of convicted murderers Ronald
> Turpin and Arthur Lucas in December 1962. At which Ontario
> prison did the hangings take place? Part of the building
> has since been demolished, and the rest repurposed.
>

> * E. Last Americans
>
> E1. Who was the last (or latest) American president not
> born in a hospital? Hint: it happened in the 20th century.
Reagan, Ford
> E2. Name the American construction worker who was Elizabeth
> Taylor's last husband.
Fortensky

> * F. Last Novels
>
> F1. Two of Ernest Hemingway's novels were published after he
> died in 1961; but name the last of his novels to be published
> in his lifetime. It came out in 1952.
>
> F2. Charles Dickens's last novel was unfinished when he
> died in 1870, and the ending he intended for it is unknown.
> Name the novel.
The Mystery of Edwin Drood

Peter Smyth

Marc Dashevsky

Jan 23, 2018, 4:56:32 PM1/23/18
In article <14ydnbTOxuprb_vH...@giganews.com>, m...@vex.net says...
flying fox

> 8. Many people know about the woolly mammoth that lived in the north
> up until several thousand years ago, but another large mammal,
> this one in Africa, also had a woolly counterpart. Up to 6,000
> pounds and with horns around 2 feet long, it is similar in size
> to modern species of this animal. What is this extinct creature?
>
> 9. The tarpan was a wild one of these creatures that roamed across
> Europe, ranging from southern France all the way into Russia.
> The last tarpan died in captivity in Russia in 1909. It was
> crossbred with domesticated varieties across Europe. What type
> of animal is a tarpan?
>
> 10. The dodo was a flightless bird that would grow to be around
> a meter tall and weigh around 30 pounds. It was quickly wiped
> out due to hunting and invasive species, the last known sighting
> being in 1662. On *what Indian Ocean island* did the dodo live?
Madagascar

> ** Game 10, Round 10 - Challenge Round - Lasts
>
> * A. Science Lasts
>
> A1. In 1978, an English medical photographer died after being
> exposed to a virus in a lab accident. She's the last person
> to die from this disease, which the World Health Organization
> declared in 1980 had been eradicated. What disease?
smallpox

> A2. The last (or latest) person to stand on the moon has been
> US astronaut Eugene Cernan, in December 1972. *Which number*
> in the Apollo series was his mission?
17

> * B. Last Concerts
>
> B1. The Beatles' last concert took place 1966-08-29, in which
> US city?
San Francisco

> B2. Elvis Presley's last concert was in Indianapolis in June
> 1977. Which Simon and Garfunkel standard was the last song
> he performed publicly?
Bridge Over Troubled Waters

> * C. Last Winners
>
> C1. Who was the last Canadian to win the Canadian Open golf
> championship? He accomplished the feat in 1954.
>
> C2. In 1938, Gordie Drillon became the last Toronto Maple Leaf
> to do what?
>

> * D. Canadian Lasts
>
> D1. Sergeant Ernest "Smokey" Smith, who died in 2005, was the
> last living Canadian recipient of which military decoration?
>
> D2. Canada's last executions were of convicted murderers Ronald
> Turpin and Arthur Lucas in December 1962. At which Ontario
> prison did the hangings take place? Part of the building
> has since been demolished, and the rest repurposed.
>

> * E. Last Americans
>
> E1. Who was the last (or latest) American president *not*
> born in a hospital? Hint: it happened in the 20th century.
>
> E2. Name the American construction worker who was Elizabeth
> Taylor's last husband.
>

> * F. Last Novels
>
> F1. Two of Ernest Hemingway's novels were published after he
> died in 1961; but name the last of his novels to be published
> in his lifetime. It came out in 1952.
The Old Man and the Sea

> F2. Charles Dickens's last novel was unfinished when he
> died in 1870, and the ending he intended for it is unknown.
> Name the novel.

swp

Jan 23, 2018, 7:30:58 PM1/23/18
On Tuesday, January 23, 2018 at 3:31:55 AM UTC-5, Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2017-11-27,
> and should be interpreted accordingly.

noted. I missed the last round because it was mis-posted under the one before it.

> ** Game 10, Round 9 - Science - Extinct Animals
>
> Very recently, the Javan rhino was officially declared extinct.
> The following is a round on extinct animals found all over the
> world. In all cases, be sufficiently specific, e.g. "Bactrian
> camel" rather than "camel", and excess specificity will be forgiven.
>
> 1. This creature was a giraffid that would grow to be almost 8 feet
> tall, with an estimated mass of over 2,000 pounds. It is
> considered the largest ruminant to have ever existed. Having
> existed in western India, makes sense that it was named after
> this supreme Hindu god. What is this beast known as?

sivatherium

> 2. This extinct canis species has been found all across North
> America. Last alive around 10,000 years ago, it was around the
> same size of a modern day grey wolf. What was this wolf's name?
> "Game of Thrones" fans might be familiar with it.

dire wolf

> 3. This creature was the largest carnivorous marsupial of modern
> times; it became extinct in the 1900s. It was named a "tiger"
> due to its striped back, but it was in fact not related
> to felines. What is the Australian province it was also
> named after?

tasmanian tiger

> 4. This flightless bird resembled penguins although it was actually
> not related to them. Living in the North Atlantic, it would
> be hunted to extinction in the 1800s off the coast of Iceland.
> It was a symbolic item in a number of maritime Native American
> cultures. What bird is this?

great auk

> 5. This subspecies of bear was found in North America up until
> the 1900s when it was hunted to extinction. In the 1800s it
> was the symbol of the Bear Flag Republic, a group of American
> settlers looking to break away from Mexico. It still exists
> on a flag today. What is the name of this bear?

california grizzly bear

> 6. The Caucasus wisent existed in herds in the Caucasian mountains
> all the way until 1927, when hunters killed the last wisent.
> Today a hybrid exists that has been reintroduced into the area.
> What animal is a wisent most closely related to?

bison

> 7. This group of bats are termed "megabats", being almost double
> the weight of others and having wingspans up to 4 feet.
> While some still exist today, most of their species have become
> extinct due to poaching and habitat loss. What are these bats
> known as -- named after another small mammal?

flying fox

> 8. Many people know about the woolly mammoth that lived in the north
> up until several thousand years ago, but another large mammal,
> this one in Africa, also had a woolly counterpart. Up to 6,000
> pounds and with horns around 2 feet long, it is similar in size
> to modern species of this animal. What is this extinct creature?

woolly rhinosaurus

> 9. The tarpan was a wild one of these creatures that roamed across
> Europe, ranging from southern France all the way into Russia.
> The last tarpan died in captivity in Russia in 1909. It was
> crossbred with domesticated varieties across Europe. What type
> of animal is a tarpan?

horse

> 10. The dodo was a flightless bird that would grow to be around
> a meter tall and weigh around 30 pounds. It was quickly wiped
> out due to hunting and invasive species, the last known sighting
> being in 1662. On *what Indian Ocean island* did the dodo live?

mauritius

> ** Game 10, Round 10 - Challenge Round - Lasts
>
> * A. Science Lasts
>
> A1. In 1978, an English medical photographer died after being
> exposed to a virus in a lab accident. She's the last person
> to die from this disease, which the World Health Organization
> declared in 1980 had been eradicated. What disease?

smallpox

> A2. The last (or latest) person to stand on the moon has been
> US astronaut Eugene Cernan, in December 1972. *Which number*
> in the Apollo series was his mission?

17

> * B. Last Concerts
>
> B1. The Beatles' last concert took place 1966-08-29, in which
> US city?

san francisco, ca

> B2. Elvis Presley's last concert was in Indianapolis in June
> 1977. Which Simon and Garfunkel standard was the last song
> he performed publicly?

bridge over troubled water (that was the last song before the encores after introducing the band. his actual last song was 'can't help falling in love')[long live the king!]

> * C. Last Winners
>
> C1. Who was the last Canadian to win the Canadian Open golf
> championship? He accomplished the feat in 1954.

arnold palmer?

> C2. In 1938, Gordie Drillon became the last Toronto Maple Leaf
> to do what?

nhl scoring leader?

> * D. Canadian Lasts
>
> D1. Sergeant Ernest "Smokey" Smith, who died in 2005, was the
> last living Canadian recipient of which military decoration?

victoria cross

> D2. Canada's last executions were of convicted murderers Ronald
> Turpin and Arthur Lucas in December 1962. At which Ontario
> prison did the hangings take place? Part of the building
> has since been demolished, and the rest repurposed.

toronto jail

> * E. Last Americans
>
> E1. Who was the last (or latest) American president *not*
> born in a hospital? Hint: it happened in the 20th century.

lyndon b johnson

> E2. Name the American construction worker who was Elizabeth
> Taylor's last husband.

larry fortensky

> * F. Last Novels
>
> F1. Two of Ernest Hemingway's novels were published after he
> died in 1961; but name the last of his novels to be published
> in his lifetime. It came out in 1952.

the old man and the sea

> F2. Charles Dickens's last novel was unfinished when he
> died in 1870, and the ending he intended for it is unknown.
> Name the novel.

the mystery of edwin drood

swp

Joshua Kreitzer

Jan 23, 2018, 8:15:25 PM1/23/18
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:14ydnbTOxuprb_vHnZ2dnUU7-
U3N...@giganews.com:

> ** Game 10, Round 9 - Science - Extinct Animals
>
> 2. This extinct canis species has been found all across North
> America. Last alive around 10,000 years ago, it was around the
> same size of a modern day grey wolf. What was this wolf's name?
> "Game of Thrones" fans might be familiar with it.

dire wolf

> 3. This creature was the largest carnivorous marsupial of modern
> times; it became extinct in the 1900s. It was named a "tiger"
> due to its striped back, but it was in fact not related
> to felines. What is the Australian province it was also
> named after?

Tasmania

> 4. This flightless bird resembled penguins although it was actually
> not related to them. Living in the North Atlantic, it would
> be hunted to extinction in the 1800s off the coast of Iceland.
> It was a symbolic item in a number of maritime Native American
> cultures. What bird is this?

great auk

> 6. The Caucasus wisent existed in herds in the Caucasian mountains
> all the way until 1927, when hunters killed the last wisent.
> Today a hybrid exists that has been reintroduced into the area.
> What animal is a wisent most closely related to?

cow

> 10. The dodo was a flightless bird that would grow to be around
> a meter tall and weigh around 30 pounds. It was quickly wiped
> out due to hunting and invasive species, the last known sighting
> being in 1662. On *what Indian Ocean island* did the dodo live?

Mauritius

> ** Game 10, Round 10 - Challenge Round - Lasts
>
> * A. Science Lasts
>
> A1. In 1978, an English medical photographer died after being
> exposed to a virus in a lab accident. She's the last person
> to die from this disease, which the World Health Organization
> declared in 1980 had been eradicated. What disease?

smallpox

> A2. The last (or latest) person to stand on the moon has been
> US astronaut Eugene Cernan, in December 1972. *Which number*
> in the Apollo series was his mission?

Apollo 17

> * B. Last Concerts
>
> B1. The Beatles' last concert took place 1966-08-29, in which
> US city?

San Francisco

> B2. Elvis Presley's last concert was in Indianapolis in June
> 1977. Which Simon and Garfunkel standard was the last song
> he performed publicly?

"Bridge Over Troubled Water"

> * D. Canadian Lasts
>
> D1. Sergeant Ernest "Smokey" Smith, who died in 2005, was the
> last living Canadian recipient of which military decoration?

Victoria Cross

> * E. Last Americans
>
> E1. Who was the last (or latest) American president *not*
> born in a hospital? Hint: it happened in the 20th century.

Gerald Ford

> E2. Name the American construction worker who was Elizabeth
> Taylor's last husband.

Larry Fortensky

> * F. Last Novels
>
> F1. Two of Ernest Hemingway's novels were published after he
> died in 1961; but name the last of his novels to be published
> in his lifetime. It came out in 1952.

"The Old Man and the Sea"

> F2. Charles Dickens's last novel was unfinished when he
> died in 1870, and the ending he intended for it is unknown.
> Name the novel.

"The Mystery of Edwin Drood"

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

Mark Brader

Jan 23, 2018, 10:06:33 PM1/23/18
Stephen Perry:
> I missed the last round because it was mis-posted under the one
> before it.

And you missed the second posting, the one everyone else responded to,
because...?
--
Mark Brader, Toronto "Information! ... We want information!"
m...@vex.net -- The Prisoner

Pete Gayde

Jan 24, 2018, 4:54:43 PM1/24/18
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:14ydnbTOxuprb_vHnZ2dnUU7-
U3N...@giganews.com:

Dire wolf

> 3. This creature was the largest carnivorous marsupial of modern
> times; it became extinct in the 1900s. It was named a "tiger"
> due to its striped back, but it was in fact not related
> to felines. What is the Australian province it was also
> named after?
>
> 4. This flightless bird resembled penguins although it was actually
> not related to them. Living in the North Atlantic, it would
> be hunted to extinction in the 1800s off the coast of Iceland.
> It was a symbolic item in a number of maritime Native American
> cultures. What bird is this?
>
> 5. This subspecies of bear was found in North America up until
> the 1900s when it was hunted to extinction. In the 1800s it
> was the symbol of the Bear Flag Republic, a group of American
> settlers looking to break away from Mexico. It still exists
> on a flag today. What is the name of this bear?
>
> 6. The Caucasus wisent existed in herds in the Caucasian mountains
> all the way until 1927, when hunters killed the last wisent.
> Today a hybrid exists that has been reintroduced into the area.
> What animal is a wisent most closely related to?

Cougar; Panther

> 7. This group of bats are termed "megabats", being almost double
> the weight of others and having wingspans up to 4 feet.
> While some still exist today, most of their species have become
> extinct due to poaching and habitat loss. What are these bats
> known as -- named after another small mammal?
>
> 8. Many people know about the woolly mammoth that lived in the north
> up until several thousand years ago, but another large mammal,
> this one in Africa, also had a woolly counterpart. Up to 6,000
> pounds and with horns around 2 feet long, it is similar in size
> to modern species of this animal. What is this extinct creature?
>
> 9. The tarpan was a wild one of these creatures that roamed across
> Europe, ranging from southern France all the way into Russia.
> The last tarpan died in captivity in Russia in 1909. It was
> crossbred with domesticated varieties across Europe. What type
> of animal is a tarpan?

Pig

> 10. The dodo was a flightless bird that would grow to be around
> a meter tall and weigh around 30 pounds. It was quickly wiped
> out due to hunting and invasive species, the last known sighting
> being in 1662. On *what Indian Ocean island* did the dodo live?

Comoros; Seychelles

> ** Game 10, Round 10 - Challenge Round - Lasts
>
> * A. Science Lasts
>
> A1. In 1978, an English medical photographer died after being
> exposed to a virus in a lab accident. She's the last person
> to die from this disease, which the World Health Organization
> declared in 1980 had been eradicated. What disease?

Small pox

> A2. The last (or latest) person to stand on the moon has been
> US astronaut Eugene Cernan, in December 1972. *Which number*
> in the Apollo series was his mission?

17

> * B. Last Concerts
>
> B1. The Beatles' last concert took place 1966-08-29, in which
> US city?

San Francisco

> B2. Elvis Presley's last concert was in Indianapolis in June
> 1977. Which Simon and Garfunkel standard was the last song
> he performed publicly?

Bridge Over Troubled Waters

> * C. Last Winners
>
> C1. Who was the last Canadian to win the Canadian Open golf
> championship? He accomplished the feat in 1954.
>
> C2. In 1938, Gordie Drillon became the last Toronto Maple Leaf
> to do what?

Score an overtime Stanly Cup winning goal

> * D. Canadian Lasts
>
> D1. Sergeant Ernest "Smokey" Smith, who died in 2005, was the
> last living Canadian recipient of which military decoration?
>
> D2. Canada's last executions were of convicted murderers Ronald
> Turpin and Arthur Lucas in December 1962. At which Ontario
> prison did the hangings take place? Part of the building
> has since been demolished, and the rest repurposed.
>

> * E. Last Americans
>
> E1. Who was the last (or latest) American president *not*
> born in a hospital? Hint: it happened in the 20th century.

Jimmy Carter

> E2. Name the American construction worker who was Elizabeth
> Taylor's last husband.
>

> * F. Last Novels
>
> F1. Two of Ernest Hemingway's novels were published after he
> died in 1961; but name the last of his novels to be published
> in his lifetime. It came out in 1952.
>
> F2. Charles Dickens's last novel was unfinished when he
> died in 1870, and the ending he intended for it is unknown.
> Name the novel.

Pete Gayde

swp

Jan 24, 2018, 6:59:36 PM1/24/18
not what I saw.

http://prntscr.com/i56fze

swp

Mark Brader

Jan 24, 2018, 10:55:18 PM1/24/18
Stephen Perry:
> http://prntscr.com/i56fze

You mean "I have a defective newsreading environment".

Don't miss RQ 280, eh?
--
Mark Brader "'Taxpayer' includes any person
Toronto whether or not liable to pay tax."

Dan Tilque

Jan 25, 2018, 6:22:00 AM1/25/18
Mark Brader wrote:

> ** Game 10, Round 9 - Science - Extinct Animals
>
> Very recently, the Javan rhino was officially declared extinct.
> The following is a round on extinct animals found all over the
> world. In all cases, be sufficiently specific, e.g. "Bactrian
> camel" rather than "camel", and excess specificity will be forgiven.
>
> 1. This creature was a giraffid that would grow to be almost 8 feet
> tall, with an estimated mass of over 2,000 pounds. It is
> considered the largest ruminant to have ever existed. Having
> existed in western India, makes sense that it was named after
> this supreme Hindu god. What is this beast known as?
>
> 2. This extinct canis species has been found all across North
> America. Last alive around 10,000 years ago, it was around the
> same size of a modern day grey wolf. What was this wolf's name?
> "Game of Thrones" fans might be familiar with it.

dire wolf

> 3. This creature was the largest carnivorous marsupial of modern
> times; it became extinct in the 1900s. It was named a "tiger"
> due to its striped back, but it was in fact not related
> to felines. What is the Australian province it was also
> named after?

Tasmania

> 4. This flightless bird resembled penguins although it was actually
> not related to them. Living in the North Atlantic, it would
> be hunted to extinction in the 1800s off the coast of Iceland.
> It was a symbolic item in a number of maritime Native American
> cultures. What bird is this?

Great auk

> 5. This subspecies of bear was found in North America up until
> the 1900s when it was hunted to extinction. In the 1800s it
> was the symbol of the Bear Flag Republic, a group of American
> settlers looking to break away from Mexico. It still exists
> on a flag today. What is the name of this bear?

ursus horribilis

> 6. The Caucasus wisent existed in herds in the Caucasian mountains
> all the way until 1927, when hunters killed the last wisent.
> Today a hybrid exists that has been reintroduced into the area.
> What animal is a wisent most closely related to?

onyx

> 7. This group of bats are termed "megabats", being almost double
> the weight of others and having wingspans up to 4 feet.
> While some still exist today, most of their species have become
> extinct due to poaching and habitat loss. What are these bats
> known as -- named after another small mammal?
>
> 8. Many people know about the woolly mammoth that lived in the north
> up until several thousand years ago, but another large mammal,
> this one in Africa, also had a woolly counterpart. Up to 6,000
> pounds and with horns around 2 feet long, it is similar in size
> to modern species of this animal. What is this extinct creature?

rhinoceros

> 9. The tarpan was a wild one of these creatures that roamed across
> Europe, ranging from southern France all the way into Russia.
> The last tarpan died in captivity in Russia in 1909. It was
> crossbred with domesticated varieties across Europe. What type
> of animal is a tarpan?

deer

> 10. The dodo was a flightless bird that would grow to be around
> a meter tall and weigh around 30 pounds. It was quickly wiped
> out due to hunting and invasive species, the last known sighting
> being in 1662. On *what Indian Ocean island* did the dodo live?

Mauritius

> ** Game 10, Round 10 - Challenge Round - Lasts
>
> * A. Science Lasts
>
> A1. In 1978, an English medical photographer died after being
> exposed to a virus in a lab accident. She's the last person
> to die from this disease, which the World Health Organization
> declared in 1980 had been eradicated. What disease?

smallpox

> A2. The last (or latest) person to stand on the moon has been
> US astronaut Eugene Cernan, in December 1972. *Which number*
> in the Apollo series was his mission?

17

> * B. Last Concerts
>
> B1. The Beatles' last concert took place 1966-08-29, in which
> US city?

New York

> B2. Elvis Presley's last concert was in Indianapolis in June
> 1977. Which Simon and Garfunkel standard was the last song
> he performed publicly?
>

> * C. Last Winners
>
> C1. Who was the last Canadian to win the Canadian Open golf
> championship? He accomplished the feat in 1954.
>
> C2. In 1938, Gordie Drillon became the last Toronto Maple Leaf
> to do what?
>

> * D. Canadian Lasts
>
> D1. Sergeant Ernest "Smokey" Smith, who died in 2005, was the
> last living Canadian recipient of which military decoration?

Victoria Cross

> D2. Canada's last executions were of convicted murderers Ronald
> Turpin and Arthur Lucas in December 1962. At which Ontario
> prison did the hangings take place? Part of the building
> has since been demolished, and the rest repurposed.
>

> * E. Last Americans
>
> E1. Who was the last (or latest) American president *not*
> born in a hospital? Hint: it happened in the 20th century.

Bush, Jr

--
Dan Tilque

Jason Kreitzer

Jan 25, 2018, 10:14:23 PM1/25/18
On Tuesday, January 23, 2018 at 3:31:55 AM UTC-5, Mark Brader wrote:
New York City
> B2. Elvis Presley's last concert was in Indianapolis in June
> 1977. Which Simon and Garfunkel standard was the last song
> he performed publicly?
Bridge Over Troubled Water

Mark Brader

Jan 26, 2018, 2:03:23 AM1/26/18
Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2017-11-27,
> see my 2017-09-25 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

So Game 10 is over -- and STEPHEN PERRY has won it the hard way!
Hearty congratulations, sir!

> ** Game 10, Round 9 - Science - Extinct Animals

> Very recently, the Javan rhino was officially declared extinct.
> The following is a round on extinct animals found all over the
> world. In all cases, be sufficiently specific, e.g. "Bactrian
> camel" rather than "camel", and excess specificity will be forgiven.

> 1. This creature was a giraffid that would grow to be almost 8 feet
> tall, with an estimated mass of over 2,000 pounds. It is
> considered the largest ruminant to have ever existed. Having
> existed in western India, makes sense that it was named after
> this supreme Hindu god. What is this beast known as?

Shiva's beast. (Accepting anything with "Shiva".) 4 for Stephen.

> 2. This extinct canis species has been found all across North
> America. Last alive around 10,000 years ago, it was around the
> same size of a modern day grey wolf. What was this wolf's name?
> "Game of Thrones" fans might be familiar with it.

Dire wolf. 4 for Dan Blum, Peter, Stephen, Joshua, Pete,
and Dan Tilque.

> 3. This creature was the largest carnivorous marsupial of modern
> times; it became extinct in the 1900s. It was named a "tiger"
> due to its striped back, but it was in fact not related
> to felines. What is the Australian province it was also
> named after?

Tasmania. (Tasmanian tiger.) 4 for Dan Blum, Peter, Joshua,
and Dan Tilque. 3 for Stephen.

> 4. This flightless bird resembled penguins although it was actually
> not related to them. Living in the North Atlantic, it would
> be hunted to extinction in the 1800s off the coast of Iceland.
> It was a symbolic item in a number of maritime Native American
> cultures. What bird is this?

Great auk. (Both words required.) 4 for Dan Blum, Peter, Stephen,
Joshua, and Dan Tilque.

> 5. This subspecies of bear was found in North America up until
> the 1900s when it was hunted to extinction. In the 1800s it
> was the symbol of the Bear Flag Republic, a group of American
> settlers looking to break away from Mexico. It still exists
> on a flag today. What is the name of this bear?

California grizzly bear or golden bear. (I did not accept "Ursus
horribilis", which is the grizzly bear and is not extinct; you were
asked for this specific subspecies.) 4 for Dan Blum and Stephen.

> 6. The Caucasus wisent existed in herds in the Caucasian mountains
> all the way until 1927, when hunters killed the last wisent.
> Today a hybrid exists that has been reintroduced into the area.
> What animal is a wisent most closely related to?

Bison. (Accepting buffalo.) 4 for Stephen.

> 7. This group of bats are termed "megabats", being almost double
> the weight of others and having wingspans up to 4 feet.
> While some still exist today, most of their species have become
> extinct due to poaching and habitat loss. What are these bats
> known as -- named after another small mammal?

Flying fox. 4 for Dan Blum, Marc, and Stephen.

> 8. Many people know about the woolly mammoth that lived in the north
> up until several thousand years ago, but another large mammal,
> this one in Africa, also had a woolly counterpart. Up to 6,000
> pounds and with horns around 2 feet long, it is similar in size
> to modern species of this animal. What is this extinct creature?

Woolly rhinoceros. (Not "rhinosaurus"! I also did not accept the
plain "rhinoceros", which, again, is not extinct.) 4 for Dan Blum.

> 9. The tarpan was a wild one of these creatures that roamed across
> Europe, ranging from southern France all the way into Russia.
> The last tarpan died in captivity in Russia in 1909. It was
> crossbred with domesticated varieties across Europe. What type
> of animal is a tarpan?

Horse. 4 for Dan Blum and Stephen.

> 10. The dodo was a flightless bird that would grow to be around
> a meter tall and weigh around 30 pounds. It was quickly wiped
> out due to hunting and invasive species, the last known sighting
> being in 1662. On *what Indian Ocean island* did the dodo live?

Mauritius. 4 for Dan Blum, Peter, Stephen, Joshua, and Dan Tilque.

> ** Game 10, Round 10 - Challenge Round - Lasts

> * A. Science Lasts

> A1. In 1978, an English medical photographer died after being
> exposed to a virus in a lab accident. She's the last person
> to die from this disease, which the World Health Organization
> declared in 1980 had been eradicated. What disease?

Smallpox. 4 for Dan Blum, Peter, Marc, Stephen, Joshua, Pete,
and Dan Tilque.

> A2. The last (or latest) person to stand on the moon has been
> US astronaut Eugene Cernan, in December 1972. *Which number*
> in the Apollo series was his mission?

17. 4 for Dan Blum, Peter, Marc, Stephen, Joshua, Pete,
and Dan Tilque.

> * B. Last Concerts

> B1. The Beatles' last concert took place 1966-08-29, in which
> US city?

San Francisco. 4 for Marc, Stephen, Joshua, and Pete.

> B2. Elvis Presley's last concert was in Indianapolis in June
> 1977. Which Simon and Garfunkel standard was the last song
> he performed publicly?

"Bridge over Troubled Water". See Stephen's response for conflicting
information, but I'm accepting this. 4 for Marc, Stephen, Joshua,
Pete, and Jason.

> * C. Last Winners

> C1. Who was the last Canadian to win the Canadian Open golf
> championship? He accomplished the feat in 1954.

Pat Fletcher.

> C2. In 1938, Gordie Drillon became the last Toronto Maple Leaf
> to do what?

Lead the NHL in scoring. (He had both the most goals and the most
points, i.e. goals plus assists. "Win the Art Ross trophy" was
acceptable, albeit anachronistic.) 4 for Stephen.

As to the wrong guesses: The last Leaf to win the league's MVP award,
the Hart Trophy, was Ted Kennedy in 1955. The last Leaf to score
an overtime goal to will the Stanley Cup was Bill Barilko in 1951.

> * D. Canadian Lasts

> D1. Sergeant Ernest "Smokey" Smith, who died in 2005, was the
> last living Canadian recipient of which military decoration?

Victoria Cross. 4 for Dan Blum, Peter, Stephen, Joshua,
and Dan Tilque.

> D2. Canada's last executions were of convicted murderers Ronald
> Turpin and Arthur Lucas in December 1962. At which Ontario
> prison did the hangings take place? Part of the building
> has since been demolished, and the rest repurposed.

Don Jail (a.k.a. Toronto Jail). 4 for Stephen.

> * E. Last Americans

> E1. Who was the last (or latest) American president *not*
> born in a hospital? Hint: it happened in the 20th century.

George H.W. Bush (Bush Sr.), in a house in Massachusetts in 1924.

He's the last (or latest) both in order of birth and in order of
taking office. The only ones so far who *were* born in hospitals
have been Jimmy Carter (later in 1924) and the four born after him:
Clinton, Bush Jr., Obama, and (censored). For some reason the
expected answer for this question in the original game was Lyndon
Johnson, who was only the last one born on a farm.

> E2. Name the American construction worker who was Elizabeth
> Taylor's last husband.

Larry Fortensky. 4 for Dan Blum, Peter, Stephen, and Joshua.

> * F. Last Novels

> F1. Two of Ernest Hemingway's novels were published after he
> died in 1961; but name the last of his novels to be published
> in his lifetime. It came out in 1952.

"The Old Man and the Sea". 4 for Dan Blum, Marc, Stephen, Joshua,
and Dan Tilque.

> F2. Charles Dickens's last novel was unfinished when he
> died in 1870, and the ending he intended for it is unknown.
> Name the novel.

"The Mystery of Edwin Drood". 4 for Dan Blum, Peter, Stephen,
and Joshua.

Approximately this question was asked on "Jeopardy!" the day after the
original game. In their version they gave the first part of the title,
and the first contestant to try it gave the correct completion.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 10 ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 6 7 8 9 10 BEST
TOPICS-> His Can Art Spo Ent Mis Sci Cha SIX
Stephen Perry 40 40 -- -- -- -- 35 40 155
Dan Blum 32 17 6 0 20 12 32 24 137
Pete Gayde 32 10 12 19 28 24 4 16 131
Joshua Kreitzer 36 12 20 10 0 12 16 32 128
Dan Tilque 36 4 -- -- 0 16 16 16 88
Marc Dashevsky 16 0 8 0 12 20 4 20 80
Peter Smyth 19 0 -- -- 0 12 16 20 67
Bruce Bowler -- -- -- -- 0 32 -- -- 32
"Calvin" 25 0 -- -- -- -- -- -- 25
Erland Sommarskog 16 0 4 0 -- -- -- -- 20
Jason Kreitzer 8 4 -- -- -- -- 0 4 16

--
Mark Brader | "If I were creating the world...
Toronto | I would have started with lasers, 8:00, Day 1!"

swp

Jan 26, 2018, 7:07:38 PM1/26/18
On Friday, January 26, 2018 at 2:03:23 AM UTC-5, Mark Brader wrote:
> Mark Brader:
> > These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2017-11-27,
> > and should be interpreted accordingly... For further information
> > see my 2017-09-25 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> > Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>
> So Game 10 is over -- and STEPHEN PERRY has won it the hard way!
> Hearty congratulations, sir!

thank you, it was not intentional. I will withhold my protest over spelling. you have previously allowed poor spelling to not count against an entrant because the answers were meant to be spoken aloud in the original game, so there's precedent. and you should have given me credit for spelling 'woolly' correctly.

> > * E. Last Americans
>
> > E1. Who was the last (or latest) American president *not*
> > born in a hospital? Hint: it happened in the 20th century.
>
> George H.W. Bush (Bush Sr.), in a house in Massachusetts in 1924.
>
> He's the last (or latest) both in order of birth and in order of
> taking office. The only ones so far who *were* born in hospitals
> have been Jimmy Carter (later in 1924) and the four born after him:
> Clinton, Bush Jr., Obama, and (censored). For some reason the
> expected answer for this question in the original game was Lyndon
> Johnson, who was only the last one born on a farm.

huh. that's exactly what I thought I was answering when I misread the question. what're the odds?

swp

Mark Brader

Jan 26, 2018, 7:16:01 PM1/26/18
Mark Brader:
>> So Game 10 is over -- and STEPHEN PERRY has won it the hard way!
>> Hearty congratulations, sir!

Stephen Perry:
> thank you, it was not intentional. I will withhold my protest over
> spelling. you have previously allowed poor spelling to not count
> against an entrant because the answers were meant to be spoken aloud in
> the original game, so there's precedent.

-ceros is a horn, -saurus is a lizard. My policy in QFTCI is to accept
badly spelled answers *unless* they more closely resemble some other
thing relevant to the category.

> and you should have given me credit for spelling 'woolly' correctly.

Not so hard, as it has two spellings.

>> For some reason the
>> expected answer for this question in the original game was Lyndon
>> Johnson, who was only the last one born on a farm.
>
> huh. that's exactly what I thought I was answering when I misread the
> question.

Great minds misthink alike?

> what're the odds?

"I have never computed them."
--
Mark Brader | "I had never thought of Jesus as being
m...@vex.net | a variety of grape plant, but