Rotating Quiz #249

Mark Brader

Mar 20, 2017, 4:33:57 PM3/20/17
Welcome to Rotating Quiz #249, not containing a house.

I'd like to thank Don Piven for running RQ 248 and for producing
the unexpected result that I'm doing this now. The winner of
RQ 249, in turn, will be the first choice to set RQ 250, in
whatever manner they prefer.

Please answer these questions based only on your own knowledge;
put all of your answers in a single posting, quoting the question
before each one. You have 6 days from the time of posting, which
means that answer slates must be posted before about 4:40 pm
(by Toronto time, zone -4) on Sunday, March 26.

For questions #1-14, I describe something and you must say what
it is. Each of these answers is a single word. Some questions
may have multiple possible answers, but there is an overall pattern
or theme, and only an answer that fits will be acceptable.

Question #15 is worth 2 points and will be the first tiebreaker.
Second tiebreaker will be who scored on the hardest questions;
third tiebreaker will be who posted first.

Have fun.

1. This is the most populous city that is located along the
Ohio-Kentucky border.

2. This was the monarch's title in Germany, before that monarchy
fell at the end of World War I.

3. This was the monarch's title in Russia, before that monarchy
fell during World War I.

4. According to the CIA World Factbook, this country contains
just 811 km² (313 sq.mi.) of land spread across 3,500,000 km²
(1,350,000 sq.mi.) of the Pacific Ocean. It has 3 time zones
for just over 100,000 people and they formerly lay on both
sides of the International Date Line.

5. In mathematics and computer science, this name refers to a
defined procedure for deriving a specific result from specific
input data.

6. Someone stupid, a slow learner.

7. Dictionaries variously describe this color in terms of two or
more of red, pink, and purple.

8. A national park in California is named after this type of tree.

9. Sometimes used as a house plant, this colorful shrub has green
leaves, bright red bracts, and small yellow flowers.

10. This country lost its only section of seacoast in a war
motivated by the fact that, due to the area's extreme aridity,
nitrate-rich bird droppings accumulate there without being
washed away by rain.

11. This is a knitted sweater (or similar garment) that opens down
the full length of the front.

12. This is the capital of Saskatchewan.

13. This German car manufacturer was founded in 1910, and merged
in 1928 with three other companies. Its logo still refers
to that merger, but its separate identity was later restored.
It is now owned by Volkswagen. Name the company.

14. This international chain of stores has been described as
selling furniture kits rather than furniture.

15. Where the choice was not arbitrary, in what order were the
above questions listed?
--
Mark Brader | "Oh, especially if it's accurate. There's nothing worse
Toronto | than *accurate*, ill-informed, irresponsible press

Marc Dashevsky

Mar 20, 2017, 5:36:14 PM3/20/17
In article <g-KdnQ6fyOgyoU3F...@giganews.com>, m...@vex.net says...
> 1. This is the most populous city that is located along the
> Ohio-Kentucky border.
Cincinnati

> 2. This was the monarch's title in Germany, before that monarchy
> fell at the end of World War I.
Kaiser

> 3. This was the monarch's title in Russia, before that monarchy
> fell during World War I.
Tsar

> 4. According to the CIA World Factbook, this country contains
> just 811 km² (313 sq.mi.) of land spread across 3,500,000 km²
> (1,350,000 sq.mi.) of the Pacific Ocean. It has 3 time zones
> for just over 100,000 people and they formerly lay on both
> sides of the International Date Line.
>
> 5. In mathematics and computer science, this name refers to a
> defined procedure for deriving a specific result from specific
> input data.
algorithm

> 6. Someone stupid, a slow learner.
>
> 7. Dictionaries variously describe this color in terms of two or
> more of red, pink, and purple.
fuchsia

> 8. A national park in California is named after this type of tree.
Joshua Tree

> 9. Sometimes used as a house plant, this colorful shrub has green
> leaves, bright red bracts, and small yellow flowers.

> 10. This country lost its only section of seacoast in a war
> motivated by the fact that, due to the area's extreme aridity,
> nitrate-rich bird droppings accumulate there without being
> washed away by rain.
>
> 11. This is a knitted sweater (or similar garment) that opens down
> the full length of the front.
cardigan

> 12. This is the capital of Saskatchewan.
Regina

> 13. This German car manufacturer was founded in 1910, and merged
> in 1928 with three other companies. Its logo still refers
> to that merger, but its separate identity was later restored.
> It is now owned by Volkswagen. Name the company.
Audi

> 14. This international chain of stores has been described as
> selling furniture kits rather than furniture.
Ikea

> 15. Where the choice was not arbitrary, in what order were the
> above questions listed?

Gareth Owen

Mar 20, 2017, 6:01:33 PM3/20/17
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) writes:

> 1. This is the most populous city that is located along the
> Ohio-Kentucky border.

Cincinatti?

> 2. This was the monarch's title in Germany, before that monarchy
> fell at the end of World War I.

Kaiser

> 3. This was the monarch's title in Russia, before that monarchy
> fell during World War I.

Tsar

> 4. According to the CIA World Factbook, this country contains
> just 811 km² (313 sq.mi.) of land spread across 3,500,000 km²
> (1,350,000 sq.mi.) of the Pacific Ocean. It has 3 time zones
> for just over 100,000 people and they formerly lay on both
> sides of the International Date Line.

Tuvalu??

> 5. In mathematics and computer science, this name refers to a
> defined procedure for deriving a specific result from specific
> input data.

Algorithm

> 6. Someone stupid, a slow learner.
>
> 7. Dictionaries variously describe this color in terms of two or
> more of red, pink, and purple.

Mauve?

> 8. A national park in California is named after this type of tree.

Joshua Tree?

> 9. Sometimes used as a house plant, this colorful shrub has green
> leaves, bright red bracts, and small yellow flowers.

> 10. This country lost its only section of seacoast in a war
> motivated by the fact that, due to the area's extreme aridity,
> nitrate-rich bird droppings accumulate there without being
> washed away by rain.

Bolivia?

> 11. This is a knitted sweater (or similar garment) that opens down
> the full length of the front.

Cardigan

> 12. This is the capital of Saskatchewan.

Regina

> 13. This German car manufacturer was founded in 1910, and merged
> in 1928 with three other companies. Its logo still refers
> to that merger, but its separate identity was later restored.
> It is now owned by Volkswagen. Name the company.

Audi

> 14. This international chain of stores has been described as
> selling furniture kits rather than furniture.

Ikea

> 15. Where the choice was not arbitrary, in what order were the
> above questions listed?

Numerical order - starting from question 1 up to question 15.

Erland Sommarskog

Mar 20, 2017, 6:17:32 PM3/20/17
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> 1. This is the most populous city that is located along the
> Ohio-Kentucky border.

Cincinatti

> 2. This was the monarch's title in Germany, before that monarchy
> fell at the end of World War I.

Kaiser

> 3. This was the monarch's title in Russia, before that monarchy
> fell during World War I.

Tsar

> 4. According to the CIA World Factbook, this country contains
> just 811 km² (313 sq.mi.) of land spread across 3,500,000 km²
> (1,350,000 sq.mi.) of the Pacific Ocean. It has 3 time zones
> for just over 100,000 people and they formerly lay on both
> sides of the International Date Line.

Micronesia

> 5. In mathematics and computer science, this name refers to a
> defined procedure for deriving a specific result from specific
> input data.

Function

> 7. Dictionaries variously describe this color in terms of two or
> more of red, pink, and purple.

Violet

> 10. This country lost its only section of seacoast in a war
> motivated by the fact that, due to the area's extreme aridity,
> nitrate-rich bird droppings accumulate there without being
> washed away by rain.

Bolivia (I was there recently. That is, in the part they lost.)

> 12. This is the capital of Saskatchewan.

Regina

> 13. This German car manufacturer was founded in 1910, and merged
> in 1928 with three other companies. Its logo still refers
> to that merger, but its separate identity was later restored.
> It is now owned by Volkswagen. Name the company.

Audi

> 14. This international chain of stores has been described as
> selling furniture kits rather than furniture.

IKEA

Don Piven

Mar 20, 2017, 6:33:34 PM3/20/17
On 3/20/17 15:33, Mark Brader wrote:
> Welcome to Rotating Quiz #249, not containing a house.
>
> I'd like to thank Don Piven for running RQ 248 and for producing
> the unexpected result that I'm doing this now. The winner of
> RQ 249, in turn, will be the first choice to set RQ 250, in
> whatever manner they prefer.
>
> Please answer these questions based only on your own knowledge;
> put all of your answers in a single posting, quoting the question
> before each one. You have 6 days from the time of posting, which
> means that answer slates must be posted before about 4:40 pm
> (by Toronto time, zone -4) on Sunday, March 26.
>
> For questions #1-14, I describe something and you must say what
> it is. Each of these answers is a single word. Some questions
> may have multiple possible answers, but there is an overall pattern
> or theme, and only an answer that fits will be acceptable.
>
> Question #15 is worth 2 points and will be the first tiebreaker.
> Second tiebreaker will be who scored on the hardest questions;
> third tiebreaker will be who posted first.
>
> Have fun.
>

> 1. This is the most populous city that is located along the
> Ohio-Kentucky border.

Cincinnati OH

> 2. This was the monarch's title in Germany, before that monarchy
> fell at the end of World War I.

Kaiser

> 3. This was the monarch's title in Russia, before that monarchy
> fell during World War I.

Tsar

> 4. According to the CIA World Factbook, this country contains
> just 811 km² (313 sq.mi.) of land spread across 3,500,000 km²
> (1,350,000 sq.mi.) of the Pacific Ocean. It has 3 time zones
> for just over 100,000 people and they formerly lay on both
> sides of the International Date Line.

Kiribati

> 5. In mathematics and computer science, this name refers to a
> defined procedure for deriving a specific result from specific
> input data.

Function

> 6. Someone stupid, a slow learner.

Don Piven

> 7. Dictionaries variously describe this color in terms of two or
> more of red, pink, and purple.

Mauve

> 8. A national park in California is named after this type of tree.

Joshua Tree

> 9. Sometimes used as a house plant, this colorful shrub has green
> leaves, bright red bracts, and small yellow flowers.

> 10. This country lost its only section of seacoast in a war
> motivated by the fact that, due to the area's extreme aridity,
> nitrate-rich bird droppings accumulate there without being
> washed away by rain.

Bolivia

> 11. This is a knitted sweater (or similar garment) that opens down
> the full length of the front.

Cardigan

> 12. This is the capital of Saskatchewan.

Regina

> 13. This German car manufacturer was founded in 1910, and merged
> in 1928 with three other companies. Its logo still refers
> to that merger, but its separate identity was later restored.
> It is now owned by Volkswagen. Name the company.

Audi

> 14. This international chain of stores has been described as
> selling furniture kits rather than furniture.

IKEA

> 15. Where the choice was not arbitrary, in what order were the
> above questions listed?

Ascending numeric

Calvin

Mar 20, 2017, 7:47:17 PM3/20/17
On Tuesday, March 21, 2017 at 6:33:57 AM UTC+10, Mark Brader wrote:

> 1. This is the most populous city that is located along the
> Ohio-Kentucky border.
>
> 2. This was the monarch's title in Germany, before that monarchy
> fell at the end of World War I.

Kaiser

> 3. This was the monarch's title in Russia, before that monarchy
> fell during World War I.

Tsar

> 4. According to the CIA World Factbook, this country contains
> just 811 km² (313 sq.mi.) of land spread across 3,500,000 km²
> (1,350,000 sq.mi.) of the Pacific Ocean. It has 3 time zones
> for just over 100,000 people and they formerly lay on both
> sides of the International Date Line.

Kiribati

> 5. In mathematics and computer science, this name refers to a
> defined procedure for deriving a specific result from specific
> input data.

Function

> 6. Someone stupid, a slow learner.

Dullard

> 7. Dictionaries variously describe this color in terms of two or
> more of red, pink, and purple.

Fuchsia

> 8. A national park in California is named after this type of tree.

Redwood

> 9. Sometimes used as a house plant, this colorful shrub has green
> leaves, bright red bracts, and small yellow flowers.
>
> 10. This country lost its only section of seacoast in a war
> motivated by the fact that, due to the area's extreme aridity,
> nitrate-rich bird droppings accumulate there without being
> washed away by rain.

Ethiopia

> 11. This is a knitted sweater (or similar garment) that opens down
> the full length of the front.

Sweater

> 12. This is the capital of Saskatchewan.

Regina

> 13. This German car manufacturer was founded in 1910, and merged
> in 1928 with three other companies. Its logo still refers
> to that merger, but its separate identity was later restored.
> It is now owned by Volkswagen. Name the company.

Porsche

> 14. This international chain of stores has been described as
> selling furniture kits rather than furniture.

IKEA

> 15. Where the choice was not arbitrary, in what order were the
> above questions listed?

Nope

cheers,
calvin

swp

Mar 20, 2017, 8:13:45 PM3/20/17
On Monday, March 20, 2017 at 4:33:57 PM UTC-4, Mark Brader wrote:
> Welcome to Rotating Quiz #249, not containing a house.
>
> I'd like to thank Don Piven for running RQ 248 and for producing
> the unexpected result that I'm doing this now. The winner of
> RQ 249, in turn, will be the first choice to set RQ 250, in
> whatever manner they prefer.
>
> Please answer these questions based only on your own knowledge;
> put all of your answers in a single posting, quoting the question
> before each one. You have 6 days from the time of posting, which
> means that answer slates must be posted before about 4:40 pm
> (by Toronto time, zone -4) on Sunday, March 26.
>
> For questions #1-14, I describe something and you must say what
> it is. Each of these answers is a single word. Some questions
> may have multiple possible answers, but there is an overall pattern
> or theme, and only an answer that fits will be acceptable.
>
> Question #15 is worth 2 points and will be the first tiebreaker.
> Second tiebreaker will be who scored on the hardest questions;
> third tiebreaker will be who posted first.
>
> Have fun.
>

> 1. This is the most populous city that is located along the
> Ohio-Kentucky border.

Cincinnati

> 2. This was the monarch's title in Germany, before that monarchy
> fell at the end of World War I.

Kaiser

> 3. This was the monarch's title in Russia, before that monarchy
> fell during World War I.

Tsar

> 4. According to the CIA World Factbook, this country contains
> just 811 km² (313 sq.mi.) of land spread across 3,500,000 km²
> (1,350,000 sq.mi.) of the Pacific Ocean. It has 3 time zones
> for just over 100,000 people and they formerly lay on both
> sides of the International Date Line.

Kiribati

> 5. In mathematics and computer science, this name refers to a
> defined procedure for deriving a specific result from specific
> input data.

algorithm

> 6. Someone stupid, a slow learner.

dumb

> 7. Dictionaries variously describe this color in terms of two or
> more of red, pink, and purple.

fuchsia

> 8. A national park in California is named after this type of tree.

sequoia

> 9. Sometimes used as a house plant, this colorful shrub has green
> leaves, bright red bracts, and small yellow flowers.

poinsettia

> 10. This country lost its only section of seacoast in a war
> motivated by the fact that, due to the area's extreme aridity,
> nitrate-rich bird droppings accumulate there without being
> washed away by rain.

Bolivia

> 11. This is a knitted sweater (or similar garment) that opens down
> the full length of the front.

cardigan

> 12. This is the capital of Saskatchewan.

Regina

> 13. This German car manufacturer was founded in 1910, and merged
> in 1928 with three other companies. Its logo still refers
> to that merger, but its separate identity was later restored.
> It is now owned by Volkswagen. Name the company.

Audi

> 14. This international chain of stores has been described as
> selling furniture kits rather than furniture.

Ikea

> 15. Where the choice was not arbitrary, in what order were the
> above questions listed?

consistent ; reasonable

swp

Dan Blum

Mar 20, 2017, 10:44:45 PM3/20/17
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> 1. This is the most populous city that is located along the
> Ohio-Kentucky border.

Cincinnati

> 2. This was the monarch's title in Germany, before that monarchy
> fell at the end of World War I.

kaiser

> 3. This was the monarch's title in Russia, before that monarchy
> fell during World War I.

tsar

> 4. According to the CIA World Factbook, this country contains
> just 811 km? (313 sq.mi.) of land spread across 3,500,000 km?
> (1,350,000 sq.mi.) of the Pacific Ocean. It has 3 time zones
> for just over 100,000 people and they formerly lay on both
> sides of the International Date Line.

Northern Marianas Islands

> 5. In mathematics and computer science, this name refers to a
> defined procedure for deriving a specific result from specific
> input data.

algorithm

> 6. Someone stupid, a slow learner.

dunce

> 7. Dictionaries variously describe this color in terms of two or
> more of red, pink, and purple.

magenta

> 8. A national park in California is named after this type of tree.

sequoia

> 9. Sometimes used as a house plant, this colorful shrub has green
> leaves, bright red bracts, and small yellow flowers.

forsythia

> 10. This country lost its only section of seacoast in a war
> motivated by the fact that, due to the area's extreme aridity,
> nitrate-rich bird droppings accumulate there without being
> washed away by rain.

Bolivia

> 11. This is a knitted sweater (or similar garment) that opens down
> the full length of the front.

cardigan

> 12. This is the capital of Saskatchewan.

Regina

> 13. This German car manufacturer was founded in 1910, and merged
> in 1928 with three other companies. Its logo still refers
> to that merger, but its separate identity was later restored.
> It is now owned by Volkswagen. Name the company.

Audi

> 14. This international chain of stores has been described as
> selling furniture kits rather than furniture.

Ikea

> 15. Where the choice was not arbitrary, in what order were the
> above questions listed?

In the order of when the people the things were named after lived.

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Mark Brader

Mar 21, 2017, 1:18:18 AM3/21/17
Please decode the rot13 to read this posting only *after* you have
entered Rotating Quiz #249, or after the correct answers have been
revealed.

V zhfg uhzoyl pbasrff gb n znwbe reebe va pbafgehpgvat guvf pbagrfg.
Nf vg jnf jevggra, gur nafjre gb bar bs gur dhrfgvbaf svgf gur gurzr
ohg vg *vf abg* va vgf pbeerpg cynpr va gur frdhrapr bs dhrfgvbaf.
(Guhf, gur vagraqrq nafjre gb dhrfgvba svsgrra vf grpuavpnyyl jebat.)

Gur reebarbhf dhrfgvba jnf gur bar jurer lbh unq gb anzr n pregnva
Cnpvsvp vfynaq pbhagel. Jung V zrnag gb nfx lbh sbe jnf gur anzr
bs gur *ynetrfg vfynaq* va gung pbhagel.

Cebshfr ncbybtvrf sbe guvf fcrpgnphyne fghcvqvgl!

Hasbeghangryl vg vf abg cbffvoyr gb nyybj nalbar n frpbaq punapr ng
dhrfgvba svsgrra, orpnhfr znal ragenagf jub unir nyernql cbfgrq
gurve nafjre fyngrf jvyy unir ybbxrq ng bgure crbcyr'f naq znlor
yrnearq nafjref gurl qvq abg xabj. Nyfb, crbcyr jub unir abg lrg
ragrerq unir gb unir gur fnzr punapr nf gubfr jub nyernql unir.

Ohg V pna ng yrnfg tvir lbh n punapr, vs lbh frr guvf zrffntr orsber
gur pbagrfg qrnqyvar, gb nafjre guvf dhrfgvba sbe bar cbvag:

16. Jung vf gur anzr bs gung vfynaq?

--
Mark Brader, Toronto | This is Programming as a True Art Form, where style
m...@vex.net | is more important than correctness... --Pontus Hedman

Dan Tilque

Mar 21, 2017, 3:07:26 AM3/21/17
Mark Brader wrote:
> Welcome to Rotating Quiz #249, not containing a house.
>
> I'd like to thank Don Piven for running RQ 248 and for producing
> the unexpected result that I'm doing this now. The winner of
> RQ 249, in turn, will be the first choice to set RQ 250, in
> whatever manner they prefer.
>
> Please answer these questions based only on your own knowledge;
> put all of your answers in a single posting, quoting the question
> before each one. You have 6 days from the time of posting, which
> means that answer slates must be posted before about 4:40 pm
> (by Toronto time, zone -4) on Sunday, March 26.
>
> For questions #1-14, I describe something and you must say what
> it is. Each of these answers is a single word. Some questions
> may have multiple possible answers, but there is an overall pattern
> or theme, and only an answer that fits will be acceptable.
>
> Question #15 is worth 2 points and will be the first tiebreaker.
> Second tiebreaker will be who scored on the hardest questions;
> third tiebreaker will be who posted first.
>
> Have fun.
>

> 1. This is the most populous city that is located along the
> Ohio-Kentucky border.

Cincinnati

> 2. This was the monarch's title in Germany, before that monarchy
> fell at the end of World War I.

kaiser

> 3. This was the monarch's title in Russia, before that monarchy
> fell during World War I.

tsar (or czar)

> 4. According to the CIA World Factbook, this country contains
> just 811 km² (313 sq.mi.) of land spread across 3,500,000 km²
> (1,350,000 sq.mi.) of the Pacific Ocean. It has 3 time zones
> for just over 100,000 people and they formerly lay on both
> sides of the International Date Line.

Kiribati

> 5. In mathematics and computer science, this name refers to a
> defined procedure for deriving a specific result from specific
> input data.

algorithm

> 6. Someone stupid, a slow learner.
>
> 7. Dictionaries variously describe this color in terms of two or
> more of red, pink, and purple.

fuschia

> 8. A national park in California is named after this type of tree.

sequoia (or redwood)

> 9. Sometimes used as a house plant, this colorful shrub has green
> leaves, bright red bracts, and small yellow flowers.
>
> 10. This country lost its only section of seacoast in a war
> motivated by the fact that, due to the area's extreme aridity,
> nitrate-rich bird droppings accumulate there without being
> washed away by rain.

Paraguay

> 11. This is a knitted sweater (or similar garment) that opens down
> the full length of the front.
>
> 12. This is the capital of Saskatchewan.

Regina

> 13. This German car manufacturer was founded in 1910, and merged
> in 1928 with three other companies. Its logo still refers
> to that merger, but its separate identity was later restored.
> It is now owned by Volkswagen. Name the company.

Audi

> 14. This international chain of stores has been described as
> selling furniture kits rather than furniture.

IKEA

> 15. Where the choice was not arbitrary, in what order were the
> above questions listed?

be hanged if I can figure it out.

--
Dan Tilque

Dan Tilque

Mar 21, 2017, 3:13:17 AM3/21/17
Mark Brader wrote:
> Please decode the rot13 to read this posting only *after* you have
> entered Rotating Quiz #249, or after the correct answers have been
> revealed.
>

> V zhfg uhzoyl pbasrff gb n znwbe reebe va pbafgehpgvat guvf pbagrfg.
> Nf vg jnf jevggra, gur nafjre gb bar bs gur dhrfgvbaf svgf gur gurzr
> ohg vg *vf abg* va vgf pbeerpg cynpr va gur frdhrapr bs dhrfgvbaf.
> (Guhf, gur vagraqrq nafjre gb dhrfgvba svsgrra vf grpuavpnyyl jebat.)
>
> Gur reebarbhf dhrfgvba jnf gur bar jurer lbh unq gb anzr n pregnva
> Cnpvsvp vfynaq pbhagel. Jung V zrnag gb nfx lbh sbe jnf gur anzr
> bs gur *ynetrfg vfynaq* va gung pbhagel.
>
> Cebshfr ncbybtvrf sbe guvf fcrpgnphyne fghcvqvgl!
>
> Hasbeghangryl vg vf abg cbffvoyr gb nyybj nalbar n frpbaq punapr ng
> dhrfgvba svsgrra, orpnhfr znal ragenagf jub unir nyernql cbfgrq
> gurve nafjre fyngrf jvyy unir ybbxrq ng bgure crbcyr'f naq znlor
> yrnearq nafjref gurl qvq abg xabj. Nyfb, crbcyr jub unir abg lrg
> ragrerq unir gb unir gur fnzr punapr nf gubfr jub nyernql unir.
>
> Ohg V pna ng yrnfg tvir lbh n punapr, vs lbh frr guvf zrffntr orsber
> gur pbagrfg qrnqyvar, gb nafjre guvf dhrfgvba sbe bar cbvag:
>
> 16. Jung vf gur anzr bs gung vfynaq?

Tarawa

Haven't seen anyone else's answers yet, but I still can't figure it out.

--
Dan Tilque

Peter Smyth

Mar 21, 2017, 5:03:57 AM3/21/17
Mark Brader wrote:

> 1. This is the most populous city that is located along the
> Ohio-Kentucky border.
>
> 2. This was the monarch's title in Germany, before that monarchy
> fell at the end of World War I.
Kaiser
> 3. This was the monarch's title in Russia, before that monarchy
> fell during World War I.
Tsar
> 4. According to the CIA World Factbook, this country contains
> just 811 km² (313 sq.mi.) of land spread across 3,500,000 km²
> (1,350,000 sq.mi.) of the Pacific Ocean. It has 3 time zones
> for just over 100,000 people and they formerly lay on both
> sides of the International Date Line.
Kiribati
> 5. In mathematics and computer science, this name refers to a
> defined procedure for deriving a specific result from specific
> input data.
Algorithm
> 6. Someone stupid, a slow learner.
Dunce
> 7. Dictionaries variously describe this color in terms of two or
> more of red, pink, and purple.
Magenta
> 8. A national park in California is named after this type of tree.
>
> 9. Sometimes used as a house plant, this colorful shrub has green
> leaves, bright red bracts, and small yellow flowers.
>
> 10. This country lost its only section of seacoast in a war
> motivated by the fact that, due to the area's extreme aridity,
> nitrate-rich bird droppings accumulate there without being
> washed away by rain.
Bolivia
> 11. This is a knitted sweater (or similar garment) that opens down
> the full length of the front.
Cardigan
> 12. This is the capital of Saskatchewan.
>
> 13. This German car manufacturer was founded in 1910, and merged
> in 1928 with three other companies. Its logo still refers
> to that merger, but its separate identity was later restored.
> It is now owned by Volkswagen. Name the company.
Audi
> 14. This international chain of stores has been described as
> selling furniture kits rather than furniture.
Ikea
> 15. Where the choice was not arbitrary, in what order were the
> above questions listed?

Peter Smyth

Don Piven

Mar 21, 2017, 5:17:01 AM3/21/17
16. Tarawa

Bruce

Mar 21, 2017, 3:49:33 PM3/21/17
On Mon, 20 Mar 2017 15:33:51 -0500, Mark Brader wrote:

> Welcome to Rotating Quiz #249, not containing a house.
>
> I'd like to thank Don Piven for running RQ 248 and for producing the
> unexpected result that I'm doing this now. The winner of RQ 249, in
> turn, will be the first choice to set RQ 250, in whatever manner they
> prefer.
>
> Please answer these questions based only on your own knowledge; put all
> of your answers in a single posting, quoting the question before each
> one. You have 6 days from the time of posting, which means that answer
> slates must be posted before about 4:40 pm (by Toronto time, zone -4) on
> Sunday, March 26.
>
> For questions #1-14, I describe something and you must say what it is.
> Each of these answers is a single word. Some questions may have
> multiple possible answers, but there is an overall pattern or theme, and
> only an answer that fits will be acceptable.
>
> Question #15 is worth 2 points and will be the first tiebreaker. Second
> tiebreaker will be who scored on the hardest questions; third tiebreaker
> will be who posted first.
>
> Have fun.
>

> 1. This is the most populous city that is located along the
> Ohio-Kentucky border.

Cincinnati

> 2. This was the monarch's title in Germany, before that monarchy
> fell at the end of World War I.

Kaiser

> 3. This was the monarch's title in Russia, before that monarchy
> fell during World War I.

Csar

> 4. According to the CIA World Factbook, this country contains
> just 811 km² (313 sq.mi.) of land spread across 3,500,000 km²
> (1,350,000 sq.mi.) of the Pacific Ocean. It has 3 time zones for
> just over 100,000 people and they formerly lay on both sides of the
> International Date Line.
>
> 5. In mathematics and computer science, this name refers to a
> defined procedure for deriving a specific result from specific input
> data.
>
> 6. Someone stupid, a slow learner.
>
> 7. Dictionaries variously describe this color in terms of two or
> more of red, pink, and purple.
>
> 8. A national park in California is named after this type of tree.

Joshua

> 9. Sometimes used as a house plant, this colorful shrub has green
> leaves, bright red bracts, and small yellow flowers.

Poinsettia

> 10. This country lost its only section of seacoast in a war
> motivated by the fact that, due to the area's extreme aridity,
> nitrate-rich bird droppings accumulate there without being washed
> away by rain.

Bolivia (based on my answer to 15)

> 11. This is a knitted sweater (or similar garment) that opens down
> the full length of the front.

Cardigan

> 12. This is the capital of Saskatchewan.

Regina

> 13. This German car manufacturer was founded in 1910, and merged
> in 1928 with three other companies. Its logo still refers to that
> merger, but its separate identity was later restored. It is now owned
> by Volkswagen. Name the company.
>
> 14. This international chain of stores has been described as
> selling furniture kits rather than furniture.

IKEA

> 15. Where the choice was not arbitrary, in what order were the
> above questions listed?

They're all named after people. I'm guessing the order is based on birth
year of the person they're named after.

In the unlikely event that I'm the winner, I decline the offer to set the
next quiz.

Mark Brader

Mar 26, 2017, 3:35:16 AM3/26/17
There are about 13 hours remaining to ender RQ 249.
--
Mark Brader | But I think we can do better next time. (Where the
Toronto | word "we" refers to [those] who do the hard work while

Mark Brader

Mar 26, 2017, 4:43:09 PM3/26/17
Mark Brader:
> For questions #1-14, I describe something and you must say what
> it is. Each of these answers is a single word. Some questions
> may have multiple possible answers, but there is an overall pattern
> or theme, and only an answer that fits will be acceptable.

The theme was "disguised eponyms", by which I mean words that are
etymologically derived -- directly or indirectly -- from a specific
person's name or title, but are not the same as that name or title.

> Question #15 is worth 2 points and will be the first tiebreaker.
> Second tiebreaker will be who scored on the hardest questions;
> third tiebreaker will be who posted first.

> Have fun.

As I confessed some hours after posting the contest, I committed a
feat of spectacular stupidity and got one of the questions wrong.
The answer to question #4 as written does not fit the concealed
sequence that question #15 is about. In penance, or something,
I added a question #16 that was effectively the intended #4.

I was abetted in committing the error by the facts that (1) the answer
I actually asked for in #4 *does* fit the theme of disguised eponyms,
and (2) no less than 7 of its 8 letters are in common with the answer
to the question that I should have asked.

Profuse apologies for the screwup.

Anyway, DAN BLUM wins the contest on the first tiebreaker.
Well done -- hearty congratulations, Dan!

> 1. This is the most populous city that is located along the
> Ohio-Kentucky border.

Cincinnati -- after Lucius Quinctius Cincinnatus (c519-438 BC).
1 for Marc, Gareth, Erland, Don, Stephen, Dan Blum, Dan Tilque,
and Bruce.

> 2. This was the monarch's title in Germany, before that monarchy
> fell at the end of World War I.

Kaiser -- after Julius Caesar (100-44 BC). 1 for everyone -- Marc,
Gareth, Erland, Don, Calvin, Stephen, Dan Blum, Dan Tilque, Peter,
and Bruce.

> 3. This was the monarch's title in Russia, before that monarchy
> fell during World War I.

Tsar -- after Julius Caesar (100-44 BC). 1 for everyone.

> 4. According to the CIA World Factbook, this country contains
> just 811 km² (313 sq.mi.) of land spread across 3,500,000 km²
> (1,350,000 sq.mi.) of the Pacific Ocean. It has 3 time zones
> for just over 100,000 people and they formerly lay on both
> sides of the International Date Line.

Kiribati -- after Thomas Gilbert (whose dates of birth and death
I have not been able to find, but he was a captain in the British
navy in 1788). 1 for Don, Calvin, Stephen, Dan Tilque, and Peter.

> 5. In mathematics and computer science, this name refers to a
> defined procedure for deriving a specific result from specific
> input data.

Algorithm -- after Muhammad ibn Musa al-Khwarizmi (c780-c850).
1 for Marc, Gareth, Stephen, Dan Blum, Dan Tilque, and Peter.

> 6. Someone stupid, a slow learner.

Dunce -- after John Duns Scotus (c1265-1308). 1 for Dan Blum
and Peter.

> 7. Dictionaries variously describe this color in terms of two or
> more of red, pink, and purple.

Fuchsia -- after Leonhard Fuchs (1501-66). 1 for Marc, Calvin,
Stephen, and Dan Tilque.

> 8. A national park in California is named after this type of tree.

Sequoia -- after Sequoya or Sequoyah (c1770-1843). 1 for Stephen,
Dan Blum, and Dan Tilque.

"Redwood" is also a correct answer, but does not fit the theme,
as the word derives from "red" and "wood". "Joshua tree" is also
arguably correct, depending on whether or not you consider the
eponymous type of yucca plant to be a tree, and fits the theme if
the Biblical Joshua (supposed to have lived c1355-c1245 BC) was a
real person; but it is not a single word as required.

One entrant put "sequoia (or redwood)"; I decided to treat this as
one answer and a comment, making it correct.

> 9. Sometimes used as a house plant, this colorful shrub has green
> leaves, bright red bracts, and small yellow flowers.

Poinsettia -- after Joel Poinsett (1779-1851). 1 for Stephen
and Bruce.

> 10. This country lost its only section of seacoast in a war
> motivated by the fact that, due to the area's extreme aridity,
> nitrate-rich bird droppings accumulate there without being
> washed away by rain.

Bolivia -- after Simón Bolívar (1783-1830). 1 for Gareth, Erland,
Don, Stephen, Dan Blum, Peter, and Bruce.

> 11. This is a knitted sweater (or similar garment) that opens down
> the full length of the front.

Cardigan -- after James Brudenell, Earl of Cardigan (1797-1868).
1 for Marc, Gareth, Don, Stephen, Dan Blum, Peter, and Bruce.

> 12. This is the capital of Saskatchewan.

Regina -- after Victoria, Queen of the UK (1819-1901). 1 for Marc,
Gareth, Erland, Don, Calvin, Stephen, Dan Blum, Dan Tilque, and Bruce.

> 13. This German car manufacturer was founded in 1910, and merged
> in 1928 with three other companies. Its logo still refers
> to that merger, but its separate identity was later restored.
> It is now owned by Volkswagen. Name the company.

Audi -- after August Horch (1868-1951). 1 for Marc, Gareth, Erland,
Don, Stephen, Dan Blum, Dan Tilque, and Peter.

> 14. This international chain of stores has been described as
> selling furniture kits rather than furniture.

IKEA -- after Ingvar Kamprad (1926-). 1 for everyone.

This question was a bit cheeky, as the only person I *know of* who has
described the place in those words was *me*, and that was in personal
communications. But I figured that even if the same thing hasn't been
more famously said by someone else, it would be a guessable answer.

They do actually sell some items that don't require assembly.

> 15. Where the choice was not arbitrary, in what order were the
> above questions [intended to have been] listed?

By birth date of the eponymous person. (Anything along these lines
was acceptable. The order of #2 and #3 was arbitrary since both
derive from the same person's name.) 2 for Dan Blum and Bruce.

A few entrants were cheeky enough to try "in numerical order".
If that was the right answer then none of them would have been
arbitrary, or else all of them would, depending on how you look at it.

| [Added question]
| 16. In #4, What I meant to ask you for was the name of the *largest
| island* in that country. What is the name of that island?

Kiritimati -- after Jesus (c4 BC - c30).

The island is the world's largest coral atoll; it includes almost
48% of the country's area but only 6% of the population. Nobody
got this. A couple of entrants tried Tarawa; this is actually a
group of islands formed by a partially submerged atoll, of which
the subgroup called South Tarawa has 2% of the country's area but
about 50% of the population. And it does not fit the theme, as it's
a place name from the local mythology.

Scores, if there are no errors:

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 TOTALS

Dan Blum 1 1 1 0 1 1 0 1 0 1 1 1 1 1 2 0 13
Stephen Perry 1 1 1 1 1 0 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 0 0 13
Bruce Bowler 1 1 1 0 0 0 0 0 1 1 1 1 0 1 2 0 10
Dan Tilque 1 1 1 1 1 0 1 1 0 0 0 1 1 1 0 0 10
Peter Smyth 0 1 1 1 1 1 0 0 0 1 1 0 1 1 0 0 9
Marc Dashevsky 1 1 1 0 1 0 1 0 0 0 1 1 1 1 0 0 9
Don Piven 1 1 1 1 0 0 0 0 0 1 1 1 1 1 0 0 9
Gareth Owen 1 1 1 0 1 0 0 0 0 1 1 1 1 1 0 0 9
Erland Sommarskog 1 1 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 1 1 1 0 0 7
"Calvin" 0 1 1 1 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 1 0 1 0 0 6

And now it's over to Dan for RQ 250.
--
Mark Brader The World Wide Web:
Toronto bringing you style over substance since 1993.

swp

Mar 27, 2017, 6:33:37 PM3/27/17
On Sunday, March 26, 2017 at 4:43:09 PM UTC-4, Mark Brader wrote:
> Mark Brader:
> > 14. This international chain of stores has been described as
> > selling furniture kits rather than furniture.
>
> IKEA -- after Ingvar Kamprad (1926-). 1 for everyone.
>
> This question was a bit cheeky, as the only person I *know of* who has
> described the place in those words was *me*, and that was in personal
> communications. But I figured that even if the same thing hasn't been
> more famously said by someone else, it would be a guessable answer.
>
> They do actually sell some items that don't require assembly.

When aunt Christine has taco night, uncle Steve likes to say "oh good. dinner. some assembly required."

> > 15. Where the choice was not arbitrary, in what order were the
> > above questions [intended to have been] listed?
>
> By birth date of the eponymous person. (Anything along these lines
> was acceptable. The order of #2 and #3 was arbitrary since both
> derive from the same person's name.) 2 for Dan Blum and Bruce.
>
> A few entrants were cheeky enough to try "in numerical order".
> If that was the right answer then none of them would have been
> arbitrary, or else all of them would, depending on how you look at it.

I think the answer of "intentional" should count! Uncle Steve says let it go, but I thought that was really good.

> Scores, if there are no errors:
>
> 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 TOTALS
>
> Dan Blum 1 1 1 0 1 1 0 1 0 1 1 1 1 1 2 0 13
> Stephen Perry 1 1 1 1 1 0 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 0 0 13
> Bruce Bowler 1 1 1 0 0 0 0 0 1 1 1 1 0 1 2 0 10
> Dan Tilque 1 1 1 1 1 0 1 1 0 0 0 1 1 1 0 0 10
> Peter Smyth 0 1 1 1 1 1 0 0 0 1 1 0 1 1 0 0 9
> Marc Dashevsky 1 1 1 0 1 0 1 0 0 0 1 1 1 1 0 0 9
> Don Piven 1 1 1 1 0 0 0 0 0 1 1 1 1 1 0 0 9
> Gareth Owen 1 1 1 0 1 0 0 0 0 1 1 1 1 1 0 0 9
> Erland Sommarskog 1 1 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 1 1 1 0 0 7
> "Calvin" 0 1 1 1 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 1 0 1 0 0 6

Uncle Steve says congratulations to Dan.

I am only doing this because I can't beat him at Word With Friends and was unable to resist the temptation when he bet me a week of typing for him against my getting to drive his car for a month. He probably just really wanted a chauffeur.