QFTCICR19 Game 6, Rounds 2-3: "twin" cities, DPRK

Mark Brader

Mar 28, 2019, 3:41:01 AM3/28/19
These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2019-03-11,
and should be interpreted accordingly.

Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

All questions were written by members of the Cellar Rats and are
used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information see
my 2019-01-22 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

* Game 6, Round 2 - Geography - "Twin" Cities

In each case, the two or three cities described all have the same
name in English. Give it.

1. Large Greek city and a city in northeastern Georgia (home to
the University of Georgia).

2. Second-largest city in Florida, and second-largest city in
Russia.

3. Large Italian city in Lazio region (located on the river Tiber),
and a city in upstate New York (near Utica).

4. University city in Southern Ontario, Canada, and a municipality
in Belgium known for its association with a famous battle.

5. City in central Scotland, located on the river Tay; a town
outside of Ottawa, located on the Tay River; and the largest
city in Western Australia.

6. One of the largest cities in Illinois, near Chicago; one of
the largest cities in Colorado, near Denver; and a town just
north of Toronto.

7. Most populous city in Maine, and the most populous city in
Oregon.

8. Third-largest city in Italy, and a city that is one of the
wealthiest in southern Florida.

9. Large city in Ohio near the Michigan border, and a UN World
Heritage city and province (near Madrid, Spain) known for its
sword craftsmanship.

10. An industrial city which is the second-most-populous in the
United Kingdom, and the most populous city in Alabama.

* Game 6, Round 3 - History - North Korea

1. Which three countries border North Korea?

2. North Korea prefers to be known in English as the DPRK.
What's that stand for?

3. Since the founding of North Korea in 1949, how many leaders
(including the current one) have ruled over it?

4. In 1968 the North Koreans captured a US naval spy ship and
held its crew for almost a year. The ship was named after
which Indian tribe?

5. What is the currency of North Korea?

6. In the year that North Korea first successfully qualified for
the soccer World Cup, they surprisingly beat Italy to proceed
to the second round. Name either the year or the host country
for that year's event.

7. During the Korean War, the son of which famous leader was killed
in combat while fighting for the North Koreans?

8. In 1983 the North Koreans unsuccessfully attempted to assassinate
the president of South Korea by using an explosive device --
while he was on a state visit to which third country?

9. In 1994, which former US president visited North Korea to
discuss a nuclear agreement with its then leader Kim Il-Sung?

10. Canada does not have an embassy in North Korea. Which other
country's embassy represents Canadians there?

--
Mark Brader "When laws are outlawed, only outlaws will have laws."
Toronto, m...@vex.net -- Diane Holt

Dan Blum

Mar 28, 2019, 9:51:44 AM3/28/19
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 6, Round 2 - Geography - "Twin" Cities

> 1. Large Greek city and a city in northeastern Georgia (home to
> the University of Georgia).

Athens

> 2. Second-largest city in Florida, and second-largest city in
> Russia.

St. Petersburg

> 3. Large Italian city in Lazio region (located on the river Tiber),
> and a city in upstate New York (near Utica).

Rome

> 4. University city in Southern Ontario, Canada, and a municipality
> in Belgium known for its association with a famous battle.

Waterloo

> 5. City in central Scotland, located on the river Tay; a town
> outside of Ottawa, located on the Tay River; and the largest
> city in Western Australia.

Perth

> 6. One of the largest cities in Illinois, near Chicago; one of
> the largest cities in Colorado, near Denver; and a town just
> north of Toronto.

Rockford

> 7. Most populous city in Maine, and the most populous city in
> Oregon.

Portland

> 8. Third-largest city in Italy, and a city that is one of the
> wealthiest in southern Florida.

Naples

> 9. Large city in Ohio near the Michigan border, and a UN World
> Heritage city and province (near Madrid, Spain) known for its
> sword craftsmanship.

Toledo

> 10. An industrial city which is the second-most-populous in the
> United Kingdom, and the most populous city in Alabama.

Birmingham

> * Game 6, Round 3 - History - North Korea

> 1. Which three countries border North Korea?

South Korea, China, and Russia

> 2. North Korea prefers to be known in English as the DPRK.
> What's that stand for?

Democratic People's Republic of Korea

3

> 4. In 1968 the North Koreans captured a US naval spy ship and
> held its crew for almost a year. The ship was named after
> which Indian tribe?

Pueblo

> 5. What is the currency of North Korea?

won

> 7. During the Korean War, the son of which famous leader was killed
> in combat while fighting for the North Koreans?

Mao

> 8. In 1983 the North Koreans unsuccessfully attempted to assassinate
> the president of South Korea by using an explosive device --
> while he was on a state visit to which third country?

Japan; Indonesia

> 9. In 1994, which former US president visited North Korea to
> discuss a nuclear agreement with its then leader Kim Il-Sung?

Carter

> 10. Canada does not have an embassy in North Korea. Which other
> country's embassy represents Canadians there?

Australia

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Erland Sommarskog

Mar 28, 2019, 3:23:11 PM3/28/19
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> * Game 6, Round 2 - Geography - "Twin" Cities
>
> In each case, the two or three cities described all have the same
> name in English. Give it.
>
> 1. Large Greek city and a city in northeastern Georgia (home to
> the University of Georgia).

Athens

> 2. Second-largest city in Florida, and second-largest city in
> Russia.

St Petersburg

> 3. Large Italian city in Lazio region (located on the river Tiber),
> and a city in upstate New York (near Utica).

Rome

> 4. University city in Southern Ontario, Canada, and a municipality
> in Belgium known for its association with a famous battle.

Waterloo

> 5. City in central Scotland, located on the river Tay; a town
> outside of Ottawa, located on the Tay River; and the largest
> city in Western Australia.

Perth

> 7. Most populous city in Maine, and the most populous city in
> Oregon.

Portland

> 8. Third-largest city in Italy, and a city that is one of the
> wealthiest in southern Florida.

Naples

> 9. Large city in Ohio near the Michigan border, and a UN World
> Heritage city and province (near Madrid, Spain) known for its
> sword craftsmanship.

Toledo

> 10. An industrial city which is the second-most-populous in the
> United Kingdom, and the most populous city in Alabama.

Birmingham

> * Game 6, Round 3 - History - North Korea
>
> 1. Which three countries border North Korea?

Russia, China and South Korea

> 2. North Korea prefers to be known in English as the DPRK.
> What's that stand for?

Democratic People's Republic of Korea

> 3. Since the founding of North Korea in 1949, how many leaders
> (including the current one) have ruled over it?

Three.

> 4. In 1968 the North Koreans captured a US naval spy ship and
> held its crew for almost a year. The ship was named after
> which Indian tribe?

Cherokee

> 5. What is the currency of North Korea?

Gulp! Won?

> 6. In the year that North Korea first successfully qualified for
> the soccer World Cup, they surprisingly beat Italy to proceed
> to the second round. Name either the year or the host country
> for that year's event.

It happened in England 1966.

And when South Korea played against Italy in the World Cup 2002 (in
South Korea), you could see banners in the audience remembering the
Italians of this event.

> 7. During the Korean War, the son of which famous leader was killed
> in combat while fighting for the North Koreans?

Mao

> 8. In 1983 the North Koreans unsuccessfully attempted to assassinate
> the president of South Korea by using an explosive device --
> while he was on a state visit to which third country?

Japan

> 9. In 1994, which former US president visited North Korea to
> discuss a nuclear agreement with its then leader Kim Il-Sung?

Jimmy Carter

> 10. Canada does not have an embassy in North Korea. Which other
> country's embassy represents Canadians there?

Sweden

Mark Brader

Mar 28, 2019, 4:23:10 PM3/28/19
Erland Sommarskog:
> Gulp! Won?

Is that won guess or two? :-)
--
Mark Brader, Toronto, m...@vex.net
"Insecurity is the norm. If any ... voting machine, operating system,

Joshua Kreitzer

Mar 28, 2019, 8:45:31 PM3/28/19
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:xLudnXj5xIQV5wHBnZ2dnUU7-
X3N...@giganews.com:

> * Game 6, Round 2 - Geography - "Twin" Cities
>
> In each case, the two or three cities described all have the same
> name in English. Give it.
>
> 1. Large Greek city and a city in northeastern Georgia (home to
> the University of Georgia).

Athens

> 2. Second-largest city in Florida, and second-largest city in
> Russia.

St. Petersburg

> 3. Large Italian city in Lazio region (located on the river Tiber),
> and a city in upstate New York (near Utica).

Rome

> 4. University city in Southern Ontario, Canada, and a municipality
> in Belgium known for its association with a famous battle.

Waterloo

> 5. City in central Scotland, located on the river Tay; a town
> outside of Ottawa, located on the Tay River; and the largest
> city in Western Australia.

Perth

> 6. One of the largest cities in Illinois, near Chicago; one of
> the largest cities in Colorado, near Denver; and a town just
> north of Toronto.

Aurora

> 7. Most populous city in Maine, and the most populous city in
> Oregon.

Portland

> 8. Third-largest city in Italy, and a city that is one of the
> wealthiest in southern Florida.

Venice; Naples

> 9. Large city in Ohio near the Michigan border, and a UN World
> Heritage city and province (near Madrid, Spain) known for its
> sword craftsmanship.

Toledo

> 10. An industrial city which is the second-most-populous in the
> United Kingdom, and the most populous city in Alabama.

Birmingham

> * Game 6, Round 3 - History - North Korea
>
> 1. Which three countries border North Korea?

China, Russia, South Korea

> 2. North Korea prefers to be known in English as the DPRK.
> What's that stand for?

Democratic People's Republic of Korea

> 3. Since the founding of North Korea in 1949, how many leaders
> (including the current one) have ruled over it?

3

> 4. In 1968 the North Koreans captured a US naval spy ship and
> held its crew for almost a year. The ship was named after
> which Indian tribe?

Pueblo

> 5. What is the currency of North Korea?

won

> 6. In the year that North Korea first successfully qualified for
> the soccer World Cup, they surprisingly beat Italy to proceed
> to the second round. Name either the year or the host country
> for that year's event.

1966

> 7. During the Korean War, the son of which famous leader was killed
> in combat while fighting for the North Koreans?

Mao Zedong

> 8. In 1983 the North Koreans unsuccessfully attempted to assassinate
> the president of South Korea by using an explosive device --
> while he was on a state visit to which third country?

Japan

> 9. In 1994, which former US president visited North Korea to
> discuss a nuclear agreement with its then leader Kim Il-Sung?

Jimmy Carter

> 10. Canada does not have an embassy in North Korea. Which other
> country's embassy represents Canadians there?

Sweden

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

Calvin

Mar 28, 2019, 9:08:05 PM3/28/19
On Thursday, March 28, 2019 at 5:41:01 PM UTC+10, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 6, Round 2 - Geography - "Twin" Cities
>
> In each case, the two or three cities described all have the same
> name in English. Give it.
>
> 1. Large Greek city and a city in northeastern Georgia (home to
> the University of Georgia).

Athens

> 2. Second-largest city in Florida, and second-largest city in
> Russia.

St Petersburg

> 3. Large Italian city in Lazio region (located on the river Tiber),
> and a city in upstate New York (near Utica).

Rome
I'm from Utica :-)

> 4. University city in Southern Ontario, Canada, and a municipality
> in Belgium known for its association with a famous battle.

Waterloo

> 5. City in central Scotland, located on the river Tay; a town
> outside of Ottawa, located on the Tay River; and the largest
> city in Western Australia.

Perth

> 6. One of the largest cities in Illinois, near Chicago; one of
> the largest cities in Colorado, near Denver; and a town just
> north of Toronto.
>
> 7. Most populous city in Maine, and the most populous city in
> Oregon.

Portland

> 8. Third-largest city in Italy, and a city that is one of the
> wealthiest in southern Florida.

Milan, Turin

> 9. Large city in Ohio near the Michigan border, and a UN World
> Heritage city and province (near Madrid, Spain) known for its
> sword craftsmanship.

Toledo

> 10. An industrial city which is the second-most-populous in the
> United Kingdom, and the most populous city in Alabama.

Birmingham

They were good fun :-)

> * Game 6, Round 3 - History - North Korea
>
> 1. Which three countries border North Korea?

China, Russia, South Korea

> 2. North Korea prefers to be known in English as the DPRK.
> What's that stand for?

Democratic People's Republic of Korea

> 3. Since the founding of North Korea in 1949, how many leaders
> (including the current one) have ruled over it?

3

> 4. In 1968 the North Koreans captured a US naval spy ship and
> held its crew for almost a year. The ship was named after
> which Indian tribe?
>
> 5. What is the currency of North Korea?

Won

> 6. In the year that North Korea first successfully qualified for
> the soccer World Cup, they surprisingly beat Italy to proceed
> to the second round. Name either the year or the host country
> for that year's event.

1966

> 7. During the Korean War, the son of which famous leader was killed
> in combat while fighting for the North Koreans?

Kim, Park

> 8. In 1983 the North Koreans unsuccessfully attempted to assassinate
> the president of South Korea by using an explosive device --
> while he was on a state visit to which third country?
>
> 9. In 1994, which former US president visited North Korea to
> discuss a nuclear agreement with its then leader Kim Il-Sung?

Clinton

> 10. Canada does not have an embassy in North Korea. Which other
> country's embassy represents Canadians there?

cheers,
calvin

Erland Sommarskog

Mar 29, 2019, 3:37:48 AM3/29/19
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> Erland Sommarskog:
>> Gulp! Won?
>
> Is that won guess or two? :-)

I suspect it is a lost guess. :-(

Dan Tilque

Mar 31, 2019, 1:01:04 AM3/31/19
Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 6, Round 2 - Geography - "Twin" Cities
>
> In each case, the two or three cities described all have the same
> name in English. Give it.
>
> 1. Large Greek city and a city in northeastern Georgia (home to
> the University of Georgia).

Athens

> 2. Second-largest city in Florida, and second-largest city in
> Russia.

St Petersburg

> 3. Large Italian city in Lazio region (located on the river Tiber),
> and a city in upstate New York (near Utica).

Rome

> 4. University city in Southern Ontario, Canada, and a municipality
> in Belgium known for its association with a famous battle.

Waterloo

> 5. City in central Scotland, located on the river Tay; a town
> outside of Ottawa, located on the Tay River; and the largest
> city in Western Australia.

Perth

> 6. One of the largest cities in Illinois, near Chicago; one of
> the largest cities in Colorado, near Denver; and a town just
> north of Toronto.

Aurora

> 7. Most populous city in Maine, and the most populous city in
> Oregon.

Portland

> 8. Third-largest city in Italy, and a city that is one of the
> wealthiest in southern Florida.

Naples

> 9. Large city in Ohio near the Michigan border, and a UN World
> Heritage city and province (near Madrid, Spain) known for its
> sword craftsmanship.

Toledo

> Mao Tse-dong
> 10. An industrial city which is the second-most-populous in the
> United Kingdom, and the most populous city in Alabama.

Birmingham

> * Game 6, Round 3 - History - North Korea
>
> 1. Which three countries border North Korea?

South Korea, China, Russia

> 2. North Korea prefers to be known in English as the DPRK.
> What's that stand for?

Democratic People's Republic of Korea

> 3. Since the founding of North Korea in 1949, how many leaders
> (including the current one) have ruled over it?

3

> 4. In 1968 the North Koreans captured a US naval spy ship and
> held its crew for almost a year. The ship was named after
> which Indian tribe?

Pueblo

> 5. What is the currency of North Korea?
>
> 6. In the year that North Korea first successfully qualified for
> the soccer World Cup, they surprisingly beat Italy to proceed
> to the second round. Name either the year or the host country
> for that year's event.
>
> 7. During the Korean War, the son of which famous leader was killed
> in combat while fighting for the North Koreans?

Mao Zedong

> 8. In 1983 the North Koreans unsuccessfully attempted to assassinate
> the president of South Korea by using an explosive device --
> while he was on a state visit to which third country?
>
> 9. In 1994, which former US president visited North Korea to
> discuss a nuclear agreement with its then leader Kim Il-Sung?

Jimmy Carter

> 10. Canada does not have an embassy in North Korea. Which other
> country's embassy represents Canadians there?

Switzerland

--
Dan Tilque

Mark Brader

Mar 31, 2019, 1:40:45 AM3/31/19
Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2019-03-11,
> see my 2019-01-22 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

> * Game 6, Round 2 - Geography - "Twin" Cities

> In each case, the two or three cities described all have the same
> name in English. Give it.

The easiest round in the original game was the audio round, which was
also Canadiana, but this one was right behind it as second-easiest.

> 1. Large Greek city and a city in northeastern Georgia (home to
> the University of Georgia).

Athens. 4 for everyone -- Dan Blum, Erland, Joshua, Calvin,
and Dan Tilque.

> 2. Second-largest city in Florida, and second-largest city in
> Russia.

St. Petersburg. 4 for everyone.

> 3. Large Italian city in Lazio region (located on the river Tiber),
> and a city in upstate New York (near Utica).

Rome. 4 for everyone.

> 4. University city in Southern Ontario, Canada, and a municipality
> in Belgium known for its association with a famous battle.

Waterloo. 4 for everyone.

> 5. City in central Scotland, located on the river Tay; a town
> outside of Ottawa, located on the Tay River; and the largest
> city in Western Australia.

Perth. 4 for everyone.

> 6. One of the largest cities in Illinois, near Chicago; one of
> the largest cities in Colorado, near Denver; and a town just
> north of Toronto.

Aurora. 4 for Joshua and Dan Tilque.

> 7. Most populous city in Maine, and the most populous city in
> Oregon.

Portland. 4 for everyone.

> 8. Third-largest city in Italy, and a city that is one of the
> wealthiest in southern Florida.

Naples. 4 for Dan Blum, Erland, and Dan Tilque. 2 for Joshua.

> 9. Large city in Ohio near the Michigan border, and a UN World
> Heritage city and province (near Madrid, Spain) known for its
> sword craftsmanship.

Toledo. 4 for everyone.

> 10. An industrial city which is the second-most-populous in the
> United Kingdom, and the most populous city in Alabama.

Birmingham. 4 for everyone.

> * Game 6, Round 3 - History - North Korea

> 1. Which three countries border North Korea?

South Korea, China, Russia. 4 for everyone.

> 2. North Korea prefers to be known in English as the DPRK.
> What's that stand for?

Democratic People's Republic of Korea. 4 for everyone.

> 3. Since the founding of North Korea in 1949, how many leaders
> (including the current one) have ruled over it?

3. (Kim, Kim, Kim.) 4 for everyone.

> 4. In 1968 the North Koreans captured a US naval spy ship and
> held its crew for almost a year. The ship was named after
> which Indian tribe?

Pueblo. 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, and Dan Tilque.

> 5. What is the currency of North Korea?

(North Korean) won. 4 for Dan Blum, Erland (gulp!), Joshua,
and Calvin.

> 6. In the year that North Korea first successfully qualified for
> the soccer World Cup, they surprisingly beat Italy to proceed
> to the second round. Name either the year or the host country
> for that year's event.

1966, England. 4 for Erland (the hard way), Joshua, and Calvin.

> 7. During the Korean War, the son of which famous leader was killed
> in combat while fighting for the North Koreans?

Mao Zedong (Tse-Tung, etc.). 4 for Dan Blum, Erland, Joshua,
and Dan Tilque.

> 8. In 1983 the North Koreans unsuccessfully attempted to assassinate
> the president of South Korea by using an explosive device --
> while he was on a state visit to which third country?

Burma (Myanmar).

> 9. In 1994, which former US president visited North Korea to
> discuss a nuclear agreement with its then leader Kim Il-Sung?

Jimmy Carter. 4 for Dan Blum, Erland, Joshua, and Dan Tilque.

> 10. Canada does not have an embassy in North Korea. Which other
> country's embassy represents Canadians there?

Sweden. 4 for Erland and Joshua.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 6 ROUNDS-> 2 3 TOTALS
TOPICS-> Geo His
Joshua Kreitzer 38 36 74
Erland Sommarskog 36 32 68
Dan Blum 36 28 64
Dan Tilque 40 24 64
"Calvin" 32 20 52

--
Mark Brader | "The remedy for speech that is false is speech that is true.
Toronto | This is the ordinary course in a free society."