QFTCI5EP Current Events 5-6

Mark Brader

Feb 28, 2017, 1:39:15 AM2/28/17
These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on the dates
indicated below, and should be interpreted accordingly. If any
answers have changed due to newer news, you are still expected to
give the answers that were correct on that date.

Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

(This set is running concurrently with Game 8, Rounds 4,6 -- and
later Rounds 7-8 -- from the previous season.)

All questions were written by members of 5 Easy Pieces and are
used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information see
my 2016-11-26 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

* Game 5 (2017-02-13), Round 1 - Current Events

This week this round is Trump-free.

1. Former US Vice-President Joe Biden has a new gig. What is his
new job title?

2. Former President Barack Obama seems to be adjusting to life
outside the White House. He was in the British Virgin Islands --
learning what recreational activity?

3. This former NBA star, whose best seasons were in New York but
who also played for the Toronto Raptors, was arrested at Madison
Square Garden last week. Security approached because he was
allegedly heckling the unpopular owner of the New York Knicks.
Name the former player.

4. In the African Cup of Nations, which determines the continent's
soccer champion, Egypt lost 2-1 in the final to this Central
African country. The victory was its fifth Cup of Nations.
Name the winning country.

5. This singer will be inducted into the Canadian Music Hall of
Fame and receive a tribute at the Juno Awards. Name the singer.

6. The Canadian author who won the Giller Prize and a Governor
General's Award for his 2001 novel "Clara Callan" has died at
the age of 79. Who is he?

7. The latest census data shows that Canada has a population of
just over 35,000,000 people. The population increased between
2011 and 2016 in 9 out of 10 provinces. Name the one where it
decreased slightly.

8. This struggling Canadian company is getting more government
money. This time it is more than $370,000,000 in interest-free
loans from the federal government. Name the company.

9. Russia's main opposition leader, Alexei Navalny, is unlikely to
be able to run for president next year as a result of a
decision issued last Wednesday. What happened to Navalny?

10. Wikipedia has banned this British tabloid as a source on topics,
deciding that it is "generally unreliable". The publication
has a significant online presence in the United Kingdom and
North America. Name that tabloid.

After completing the round, please decode the rot13: Vs lbh fnvq
gung Aninyal jnf pbaivpgrq bs n pevzr, tb onpx naq fnl juvpu pevzr.

* Game 6 (2017-02-27), Round 1 - Current Events

...But not this week.

1. The parent company of Tim Hortons announced a US $1,800,000,000
friendly takeover bid for which US-based fast-food chain?

2. February 23 was the warmest February day ever in Toronto.
What was the high temperature recorded that day by Environment
Canada at Pearson Airport, rounded to the nearest whole degree
Celsius?

3. Wayne Shaw, a 45-year-old backup soccer goalie for Sutton
United, resigned from the team after its FA Cup loss to Arsenal.
What act caused him to step down?

4. Also in British soccer, Claudio Ranieri has been fired as manager
just 9 months after he led his team to a completely unexpected
Premier League title. What team?

5. His birth name is Shawn Carter. His first album,
"Reasonable Doubt", came out in 1996. Since then he has sold
more than 100,000,000 records and his estimated net worth is
over $500,000,000. And last week he became the first hip-hop
performer to be inducted into the Songwriters Hall of Fame.
Give his stage name.

6. This singer hit the Top 10 on the Billboard Hot 100 charts
last week with "Love on the Brain". It was the 30th Top-10
hit in the performer's career: only Madonna and the Beatles
have more. Name the singer.

7. The Supreme Court of Canada issued a decision on Tuesday,
interpreting for the first time the powers of police relating
to *what specific criminal offense*?

8. A vehicle not normally driven by cops was utilized by Toronto
police as part of a campaign against distracted driving.
What type of vehicle was it?

9. Before he made a speech to the Republican Jewish Coalition,
Vice-President Mike Pence tweeted out support for Israel with a
flag emoji -- but it wasn't Israel's flag. What country's flag
was it?

10. As Donald Trump began to speak at CPAC, many of his supporters
started waving mini-flags with "TRUMP" emblazoned on them --
that had been distributed by pranksters. Republican staffers
quickly confiscated the flags -- why?

After completing the round, please decode the rot13: Vs lbh whfg
fnvq "vzcnverq qevivat" ba gur pbheg dhrfgvba, tb onpx naq or
zber fcrpvsvp.

--
Mark Brader|"But how can we do something about something that isn't happening?"
Toronto |"It's much easier to solve an imaginary problem than a real one."

Erland Sommarskog

Feb 28, 2017, 3:21:26 AM2/28/17
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> 2. Former President Barack Obama seems to be adjusting to life
> outside the White House. He was in the British Virgin Islands --
> learning what recreational activity?

Since this is a trump-free round, it cannot be bridge. I'll try with
scuba-diving.

> 4. In the African Cup of Nations, which determines the continent's
> soccer champion, Egypt lost 2-1 in the final to this Central
> African country. The victory was its fifth Cup of Nations.
> Name the winning country.

Cameroon

> 7. The latest census data shows that Canada has a population of
> just over 35,000,000 people. The population increased between
> 2011 and 2016 in 9 out of 10 provinces. Name the one where it
> decreased slightly.

Manitoba

> 9. Russia's main opposition leader, Alexei Navalny, is unlikely to
> be able to run for president next year as a result of a
> decision issued last Wednesday. What happened to Navalny?

He was charged and found guilty to embezzlement. (Most likely all is
made-up of course.)

> 10. Wikipedia has banned this British tabloid as a source on topics,
> deciding that it is "generally unreliable". The publication
> has a significant online presence in the United Kingdom and
> North America. Name that tabloid.

The Sun

> * Game 6 (2017-02-27), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> ...But not this week.
>
> 2. February 23 was the warmest February day ever in Toronto.
> What was the high temperature recorded that day by Environment
> Canada at Pearson Airport, rounded to the nearest whole degree
> Celsius?

15

> 4. Also in British soccer, Claudio Ranieri has been fired as manager
> just 9 months after he led his team to a completely unexpected
> Premier League title. What team?

Leicester

> 9. Before he made a speech to the Republican Jewish Coalition,
> Vice-President Mike Pence tweeted out support for Israel with a
> flag emoji -- but it wasn't Israel's flag. What country's flag
> was it?

Nicaragua

> 10. As Donald Trump began to speak at CPAC, many of his supporters
> started waving mini-flags with "TRUMP" emblazoned on them --
> that had been distributed by pranksters. Republican staffers
> quickly confiscated the flags -- why?

They were Russian flags!

Don Piven

Feb 28, 2017, 6:22:58 AM2/28/17
Charles Oakley

> 4. In the African Cup of Nations, which determines the continent's
> soccer champion, Egypt lost 2-1 in the final to this Central
> African country. The victory was its fifth Cup of Nations.
> Name the winning country.

Cameroon

> 5. This singer will be inducted into the Canadian Music Hall of
> Fame and receive a tribute at the Juno Awards. Name the singer.
>
> 6. The Canadian author who won the Giller Prize and a Governor
> General's Award for his 2001 novel "Clara Callan" has died at
> the age of 79. Who is he?
>
> 7. The latest census data shows that Canada has a population of
> just over 35,000,000 people. The population increased between
> 2011 and 2016 in 9 out of 10 provinces. Name the one where it
> decreased slightly.

Newfoundland

> 8. This struggling Canadian company is getting more government
> money. This time it is more than $370,000,000 in interest-free
> loans from the federal government. Name the company.

Bombardier

> 9. Russia's main opposition leader, Alexei Navalny, is unlikely to
> be able to run for president next year as a result of a
> decision issued last Wednesday. What happened to Navalny?

> 10. Wikipedia has banned this British tabloid as a source on topics,
> deciding that it is "generally unreliable". The publication
> has a significant online presence in the United Kingdom and
> North America. Name that tabloid.

Daily Mail

> After completing the round, please decode the rot13: Vs lbh fnvq
> gung Aninyal jnf pbaivpgrq bs n pevzr, tb onpx naq fnl juvpu pevzr.
>

> * Game 6 (2017-02-27), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> ...But not this week.
>
> 1. The parent company of Tim Hortons announced a US $1,800,000,000
> friendly takeover bid for which US-based fast-food chain?

Popeye's

> 2. February 23 was the warmest February day ever in Toronto.
> What was the high temperature recorded that day by Environment
> Canada at Pearson Airport, rounded to the nearest whole degree
> Celsius?

21
Nicaragua

> 10. As Donald Trump began to speak at CPAC, many of his supporters
> started waving mini-flags with "TRUMP" emblazoned on them --
> that had been distributed by pranksters. Republican staffers
> quickly confiscated the flags -- why?

They were Russian flags

Dan Blum

Feb 28, 2017, 9:45:04 AM2/28/17
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 5 (2017-02-13), Round 1 - Current Events

> 2. Former President Barack Obama seems to be adjusting to life
> outside the White House. He was in the British Virgin Islands --
> learning what recreational activity?

windsurfing

> 4. In the African Cup of Nations, which determines the continent's
> soccer champion, Egypt lost 2-1 in the final to this Central
> African country. The victory was its fifth Cup of Nations.
> Name the winning country.

Central African Republic; Democratic Republic of the Congo

> 5. This singer will be inducted into the Canadian Music Hall of
> Fame and receive a tribute at the Juno Awards. Name the singer.

Celine Dion; Kylie Minogue

> 7. The latest census data shows that Canada has a population of
> just over 35,000,000 people. The population increased between
> 2011 and 2016 in 9 out of 10 provinces. Name the one where it
> decreased slightly.

Prince Edward Island; Nova Scotia

> 10. Wikipedia has banned this British tabloid as a source on topics,
> deciding that it is "generally unreliable". The publication
> has a significant online presence in the United Kingdom and
> North America. Name that tabloid.

The Daily Mail

> * Game 6 (2017-02-27), Round 1 - Current Events

> 1. The parent company of Tim Hortons announced a US $1,800,000,000
> friendly takeover bid for which US-based fast-food chain?

Popeye's

> 2. February 23 was the warmest February day ever in Toronto.
> What was the high temperature recorded that day by Environment
> Canada at Pearson Airport, rounded to the nearest whole degree
> Celsius?

16; 19

> 4. Also in British soccer, Claudio Ranieri has been fired as manager
> just 9 months after he led his team to a completely unexpected
> Premier League title. What team?

Leicester City

> 5. His birth name is Shawn Carter. His first album,
> "Reasonable Doubt", came out in 1996. Since then he has sold
> more than 100,000,000 records and his estimated net worth is
> over $500,000,000. And last week he became the first hip-hop
> performer to be inducted into the Songwriters Hall of Fame.
> Give his stage name.

Jay-Z

> 9. Before he made a speech to the Republican Jewish Coalition,
> Vice-President Mike Pence tweeted out support for Israel with a
> flag emoji -- but it wasn't Israel's flag. What country's flag
> was it?

Nicaragua

> 10. As Donald Trump began to speak at CPAC, many of his supporters
> started waving mini-flags with "TRUMP" emblazoned on them --
> that had been distributed by pranksters. Republican staffers
> quickly confiscated the flags -- why?

They looked like Russian flags

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Pete Gayde

Feb 28, 2017, 11:08:02 AM2/28/17
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:EM2dnZSfIMqThijFnZ2dnUU7-
Y_N...@giganews.com:

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on the dates
> indicated below, and should be interpreted accordingly. If any
> answers have changed due to newer news, you are still expected to
> give the answers that were correct on that date.

> Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> (This set is running concurrently with Game 8, Rounds 4,6 -- and
> later Rounds 7-8 -- from the previous season.)
>
> All questions were written by members of 5 Easy Pieces and are
> used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
> been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information see
> my 2016-11-26 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 5 (2017-02-13), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> This week this round is Trump-free.
>
> 1. Former US Vice-President Joe Biden has a new gig. What is his
> new job title?

Professor

> 2. Former President Barack Obama seems to be adjusting to life
> outside the White House. He was in the British Virgin Islands --
> learning what recreational activity?

Kite surfing

> 3. This former NBA star, whose best seasons were in New York but
> who also played for the Toronto Raptors, was arrested at Madison
> Square Garden last week. Security approached because he was
> allegedly heckling the unpopular owner of the New York Knicks.
> Name the former player.

Charles Oakley

> 4. In the African Cup of Nations, which determines the continent's
> soccer champion, Egypt lost 2-1 in the final to this Central
> African country. The victory was its fifth Cup of Nations.
> Name the winning country.

Cameroon

> 5. This singer will be inducted into the Canadian Music Hall of
> Fame and receive a tribute at the Juno Awards. Name the singer.

Vickers

> 6. The Canadian author who won the Giller Prize and a Governor
> General's Award for his 2001 novel "Clara Callan" has died at
> the age of 79. Who is he?
>
> 7. The latest census data shows that Canada has a population of
> just over 35,000,000 people. The population increased between
> 2011 and 2016 in 9 out of 10 provinces. Name the one where it
> decreased slightly.
>
> 8. This struggling Canadian company is getting more government
> money. This time it is more than $370,000,000 in interest-free
> loans from the federal government. Name the company.
>
> 9. Russia's main opposition leader, Alexei Navalny, is unlikely to
> be able to run for president next year as a result of a
> decision issued last Wednesday. What happened to Navalny?
>
> 10. Wikipedia has banned this British tabloid as a source on topics,
> deciding that it is "generally unreliable". The publication
> has a significant online presence in the United Kingdom and
> North America. Name that tabloid.

Sun

> After completing the round, please decode the rot13: Vs lbh fnvq
> gung Aninyal jnf pbaivpgrq bs n pevzr, tb onpx naq fnl juvpu pevzr.
>

> * Game 6 (2017-02-27), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> ...But not this week.
>
> 1. The parent company of Tim Hortons announced a US $1,800,000,000
> friendly takeover bid for which US-based fast-food chain?

Wendys; Arbys

> 2. February 23 was the warmest February day ever in Toronto.
> What was the high temperature recorded that day by Environment
> Canada at Pearson Airport, rounded to the nearest whole degree
> Celsius?

25; 24

> 3. Wayne Shaw, a 45-year-old backup soccer goalie for Sutton
> United, resigned from the team after its FA Cup loss to Arsenal.
> What act caused him to step down?

Eating while on the bench

> 4. Also in British soccer, Claudio Ranieri has been fired as manager
> just 9 months after he led his team to a completely unexpected
> Premier League title. What team?

Leicester City

> 5. His birth name is Shawn Carter. His first album,
> "Reasonable Doubt", came out in 1996. Since then he has sold
> more than 100,000,000 records and his estimated net worth is
> over $500,000,000. And last week he became the first hip-hop
> performer to be inducted into the Songwriters Hall of Fame.
> Give his stage name.

Jay Z

> 6. This singer hit the Top 10 on the Billboard Hot 100 charts
> last week with "Love on the Brain". It was the 30th Top-10
> hit in the performer's career: only Madonna and the Beatles
> have more. Name the singer.

Taylor Swift; Adele

> 7. The Supreme Court of Canada issued a decision on Tuesday,
> interpreting for the first time the powers of police relating
> to *what specific criminal offense*?

Marijuana possession

> 8. A vehicle not normally driven by cops was utilized by Toronto
> police as part of a campaign against distracted driving.
> What type of vehicle was it?

Zamboni

> 9. Before he made a speech to the Republican Jewish Coalition,
> Vice-President Mike Pence tweeted out support for Israel with a
> flag emoji -- but it wasn't Israel's flag. What country's flag
> was it?

Greece

> 10. As Donald Trump began to speak at CPAC, many of his supporters
> started waving mini-flags with "TRUMP" emblazoned on them --
> that had been distributed by pranksters. Republican staffers
> quickly confiscated the flags -- why?

They had Russia's colors

> After completing the round, please decode the rot13: Vs lbh whfg
> fnvq "vzcnverq qevivat" ba gur pbheg dhrfgvba, tb onpx naq or
> zber fcrpvsvp.

Pete Gayde

Jason Kreitzer

Feb 28, 2017, 10:09:20 PM2/28/17
"News of the World"?
> After completing the round, please decode the rot13: Vs lbh fnvq
> gung Aninyal jnf pbaivpgrq bs n pevzr, tb onpx naq fnl juvpu pevzr.
>

> * Game 6 (2017-02-27), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> ...But not this week.
>
> 1. The parent company of Tim Hortons announced a US $1,800,000,000
> friendly takeover bid for which US-based fast-food chain?
>
> 2. February 23 was the warmest February day ever in Toronto.
> What was the high temperature recorded that day by Environment
> Canada at Pearson Airport, rounded to the nearest whole degree
> Celsius?
>
> 3. Wayne Shaw, a 45-year-old backup soccer goalie for Sutton
> United, resigned from the team after its FA Cup loss to Arsenal.
> What act caused him to step down?
>
> 4. Also in British soccer, Claudio Ranieri has been fired as manager
> just 9 months after he led his team to a completely unexpected
> Premier League title. What team?
Leicester?
> 5. His birth name is Shawn Carter. His first album,
> "Reasonable Doubt", came out in 1996. Since then he has sold
> more than 100,000,000 records and his estimated net worth is
> over $500,000,000. And last week he became the first hip-hop
> performer to be inducted into the Songwriters Hall of Fame.
> Give his stage name.
Jay-Z

Dan Tilque

Feb 28, 2017, 11:23:10 PM2/28/17
Prince Edward Island

> 8. This struggling Canadian company is getting more government
> money. This time it is more than $370,000,000 in interest-free
> loans from the federal government. Name the company.
>
> 9. Russia's main opposition leader, Alexei Navalny, is unlikely to
> be able to run for president next year as a result of a
> decision issued last Wednesday. What happened to Navalny?

was convicted for something, but I forget the charge (I mean other than
being significant opposition to Putin, of course)

> 10. Wikipedia has banned this British tabloid as a source on topics,
> deciding that it is "generally unreliable". The publication
> has a significant online presence in the United Kingdom and
> North America. Name that tabloid.

Daily Mail

> After completing the round, please decode the rot13: Vs lbh fnvq
> gung Aninyal jnf pbaivpgrq bs n pevzr, tb onpx naq fnl juvpu pevzr.
>

> * Game 6 (2017-02-27), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> ...But not this week.
>
> 1. The parent company of Tim Hortons announced a US $1,800,000,000
> friendly takeover bid for which US-based fast-food chain?
>
> 2. February 23 was the warmest February day ever in Toronto.
> What was the high temperature recorded that day by Environment
> Canada at Pearson Airport, rounded to the nearest whole degree
> Celsius?

27 C

> 3. Wayne Shaw, a 45-year-old backup soccer goalie for Sutton
> United, resigned from the team after its FA Cup loss to Arsenal.
> What act caused him to step down?
>
> 4. Also in British soccer, Claudio Ranieri has been fired as manager
> just 9 months after he led his team to a completely unexpected
> Premier League title. What team?
>
> 5. His birth name is Shawn Carter. His first album,
> "Reasonable Doubt", came out in 1996. Since then he has sold
> more than 100,000,000 records and his estimated net worth is
> over $500,000,000. And last week he became the first hip-hop
> performer to be inducted into the Songwriters Hall of Fame.
> Give his stage name.
>
> 6. This singer hit the Top 10 on the Billboard Hot 100 charts
> last week with "Love on the Brain". It was the 30th Top-10
> hit in the performer's career: only Madonna and the Beatles
> have more. Name the singer.
>
> 7. The Supreme Court of Canada issued a decision on Tuesday,
> interpreting for the first time the powers of police relating
> to *what specific criminal offense*?
>
> 8. A vehicle not normally driven by cops was utilized by Toronto
> police as part of a campaign against distracted driving.
> What type of vehicle was it?

Oscar Mayer Wienermobile

--
Dan Tilque

Joshua Kreitzer

Mar 1, 2017, 2:15:17 AM3/1/17
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:EM2dnZSfIMqThijFnZ2dnUU7-
Y_N...@giganews.com:

> * Game 5 (2017-02-13), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 3. This former NBA star, whose best seasons were in New York but
> who also played for the Toronto Raptors, was arrested at Madison
> Square Garden last week. Security approached because he was
> allegedly heckling the unpopular owner of the New York Knicks.
> Name the former player.

Oakley (?)

> 5. This singer will be inducted into the Canadian Music Hall of
> Fame and receive a tribute at the Juno Awards. Name the singer.

Leonard Cohen

> 7. The latest census data shows that Canada has a population of
> just over 35,000,000 people. The population increased between
> 2011 and 2016 in 9 out of 10 provinces. Name the one where it
> decreased slightly.

Prince Edward Island; Newfoundland and Labrador

> 10. Wikipedia has banned this British tabloid as a source on topics,
> deciding that it is "generally unreliable". The publication
> has a significant online presence in the United Kingdom and
> North America. Name that tabloid.

Daily Mail

> * Game 6 (2017-02-27), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> ...But not this week.
>
> 1. The parent company of Tim Hortons announced a US $1,800,000,000
> friendly takeover bid for which US-based fast-food chain?

Wendy's

> 2. February 23 was the warmest February day ever in Toronto.
> What was the high temperature recorded that day by Environment
> Canada at Pearson Airport, rounded to the nearest whole degree
> Celsius?

29 degrees

> 4. Also in British soccer, Claudio Ranieri has been fired as manager
> just 9 months after he led his team to a completely unexpected
> Premier League title. What team?

Leicester

> 5. His birth name is Shawn Carter. His first album,
> "Reasonable Doubt", came out in 1996. Since then he has sold
> more than 100,000,000 records and his estimated net worth is
> over $500,000,000. And last week he became the first hip-hop
> performer to be inducted into the Songwriters Hall of Fame.
> Give his stage name.

Jay-Z

> 10. As Donald Trump began to speak at CPAC, many of his supporters
> started waving mini-flags with "TRUMP" emblazoned on them --
> that had been distributed by pranksters. Republican staffers
> quickly confiscated the flags -- why?

the flags resembled the Russian flag

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

Marc Dashevsky

Mar 1, 2017, 2:59:54 AM3/1/17
In article <EM2dnZSfIMqThijF...@giganews.com>, m...@vex.net says...
Bombardier

> 9. Russia's main opposition leader, Alexei Navalny, is unlikely to
> be able to run for president next year as a result of a
> decision issued last Wednesday. What happened to Navalny?
>
> 10. Wikipedia has banned this British tabloid as a source on topics,
> deciding that it is "generally unreliable". The publication
> has a significant online presence in the United Kingdom and
> North America. Name that tabloid.
>
> After completing the round, please decode the rot13: Vs lbh fnvq
> gung Aninyal jnf pbaivpgrq bs n pevzr, tb onpx naq fnl juvpu pevzr.
>

> * Game 6 (2017-02-27), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> ...But not this week.
>
> 1. The parent company of Tim Hortons announced a US $1,800,000,000
> friendly takeover bid for which US-based fast-food chain?
Popeyes
Russian flags

> After completing the round, please decode the rot13: Vs lbh whfg
> fnvq "vzcnverq qevivat" ba gur pbheg dhrfgvba, tb onpx naq or
> zber fcrpvsvp.

Mark Brader

Mar 2, 2017, 1:27:02 AM3/2/17
Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on the dates
> indicated below, and should be interpreted accordingly. If any
> answers have changed due to newer news, you are still expected to
> give the answers that were correct on that date... For further
> information see my 2016-11-26 companion posting on "Questions from
> the Canadian Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

> * Game 5 (2017-02-13), Round 1 - Current Events

> This week this round is Trump-free.

> 1. Former US Vice-President Joe Biden has a new gig. What is his
> new job title?

Benjamin Franklin Presidential Practice Professor. (At the University
of Pennsylvania. "Professor" was sufficient.) 4 for Pete.

> 2. Former President Barack Obama seems to be adjusting to life
> outside the White House. He was in the British Virgin Islands --
> learning what recreational activity?

Kite-surfing. (Not windsurfing.) 4 for Pete.

> 3. This former NBA star, whose best seasons were in New York but
> who also played for the Toronto Raptors, was arrested at Madison
> Square Garden last week. Security approached because he was
> allegedly heckling the unpopular owner of the New York Knicks.
> Name the former player.

Charles Oakley. 4 for Don, Pete, and Joshua.

> 4. In the African Cup of Nations, which determines the continent's
> soccer champion, Egypt lost 2-1 in the final to this Central
> African country. The victory was its fifth Cup of Nations.
> Name the winning country.

Cameroon. 4 for Erland, Don, and Pete.

> 5. This singer will be inducted into the Canadian Music Hall of
> Fame and receive a tribute at the Juno Awards. Name the singer.

Sarah McLachlan.

> 6. The Canadian author who won the Giller Prize and a Governor
> General's Award for his 2001 novel "Clara Callan" has died at
> the age of 79. Who is he?

Richard B. Wright.

> 7. The latest census data shows that Canada has a population of
> just over 35,000,000 people. The population increased between
> 2011 and 2016 in 9 out of 10 provinces. Name the one where it
> decreased slightly.

New Brunswick.

> 8. This struggling Canadian company is getting more government
> money. This time it is more than $370,000,000 in interest-free
> loans from the federal government. Name the company.

Bombardier. 4 for Don and Marc.

> 9. Russia's main opposition leader, Alexei Navalny, is unlikely to
> be able to run for president next year as a result of a
> decision issued last Wednesday. What happened to Navalny?

Convicted of embezzlement. We needed the specific crime.
4 for Erland.

> 10. Wikipedia has banned this British tabloid as a source on topics,
> deciding that it is "generally unreliable". The publication
> has a significant online presence in the United Kingdom and
> North America. Name that tabloid.

The "Daily Mail". 4 for Don, Dan Blum, Dan Tilque, and Joshua.

> * Game 6 (2017-02-27), Round 1 - Current Events

> ...But not this week.

> 1. The parent company of Tim Hortons announced a US $1,800,000,000
> friendly takeover bid for which US-based fast-food chain?

Popeye's Louisiana Kitchen. ("Popeye's" was sufficient.) 4 for Don,
Dan Blum, and Marc.

> 2. February 23 was the warmest February day ever in Toronto.
> What was the high temperature recorded that day by Environment
> Canada at Pearson Airport, rounded to the nearest whole degree
> Celsius?

17°. (To be exact, it was 16.8; that's about 62¼°F.) Since no
one got this exactly, I decided to score answers within 1°C as
almost correct. So, 2 for Dan Blum.

> 3. Wayne Shaw, a 45-year-old backup soccer goalie for Sutton
> United, resigned from the team after its FA Cup loss to Arsenal.
> What act caused him to step down?

He ate a meat pie during the game. (Or possibly a Cornish pasty
["PAST-ee"]. Or possibly a Cornish pasty is a type of meat pie.
The issue was that a bookmaker had posted odds on whether he would
eat a meat pie during the game. I accepted "eating" as sufficient.)
4 for Pete.

> 4. Also in British soccer, Claudio Ranieri has been fired as manager
> just 9 months after he led his team to a completely unexpected
> Premier League title. What team?

Leicester City. ("Leicester" was sufficient.) 4 for Erland,
Dan Blum, Pete, Jason, and Joshua.

> 5. His birth name is Shawn Carter. His first album,
> "Reasonable Doubt", came out in 1996. Since then he has sold
> more than 100,000,000 records and his estimated net worth is
> over $500,000,000. And last week he became the first hip-hop
> performer to be inducted into the Songwriters Hall of Fame.
> Give his stage name.

Jay Z. 4 for Dan Blum, Pete, Jason, and Joshua.

> 6. This singer hit the Top 10 on the Billboard Hot 100 charts
> last week with "Love on the Brain". It was the 30th Top-10
> hit in the performer's career: only Madonna and the Beatles
> have more. Name the singer.

Rihanna.

> 7. The Supreme Court of Canada issued a decision on Tuesday,
> interpreting for the first time the powers of police relating
> to *what specific criminal offense*?

Driving while impaired by drugs other than alcohol.

> 8. A vehicle not normally driven by cops was utilized by Toronto
> police as part of a campaign against distracted driving.
> What type of vehicle was it?

Hearse.

> 9. Before a speech to the Republican Jewish Coalition,
> Vice-President Mike Pence tweeted out support for Israel with a
> flag emoji. But it wasn't Israel's flag. What country's flag
> was it?

Nicaragua. 4 for Erland, Don, and Dan Blum.

The two do look similar if they're too small to see the details:
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/anykey-1.2981904

> 10. As Donald Trump began to speak at CPAC, many of his supporters
> started waving mini-flags with "TRUMP" emblazoned on them --
> that had been distributed by pranksters. Republican staffers
> quickly confiscated the flags -- why?

They were Russian flags. 4 for Erland, Don, Dan Blum, Pete, Joshua,
and Marc.

Well, they *are* red, white, and blue. See:
http://ww2.hdnux.com/photos/57/35/36/12441473/3/920x920.jpg
http://img.huffingtonpost.com/asset/scalefit_820_noupscale/58b4eea62900005b00beb553.jpg

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAMES-> 1 2 3 4 5 6 BEST FOUR
Pete Gayde 16 16 24 23 16 16 79
Joshua Kreitzer 8 24 16 24 8 12 76
Don Piven -- -- 12 12 16 12 52
Dan Blum 4 4 10 12 4 22 48
"ArenEss" 20 24 -- -- -- -- 44
Marc Dashevsky 4 12 12 12 4 8 44
Erland Sommarskog 0 8 4 8 8 12 36
Peter Smyth -- -- 16 16 -- -- 32
Dan Tilque 0 4 8 16 4 0 32
Jason Kreitzer -- -- -- -- 0 8 8

--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "Please correct error between chair and monitor."
m...@vex.net | -- James Baughn

Mark Brader

Mar 2, 2017, 9:29:38 PM3/2/17
Mark Brader:
> I will reveal the correct answers in about 3 days.

Okay, 2 days is about 3 days, isn't it? Isn't it?

(Sorry about that, folks.)
--
Mark Brader "Now, let's assume the correct answer will
Toronto eventually be written on this board at the