Calvin's Quiz #503

Calvin

Sep 12, 2017, 9:42:56 PM9/12/17

I'm in New Zealand for the next two weeks so results won't be posted until early October.

1 What links Brooklyn, Romeo and Harper?
2 Brno is a city of around 100,000 people in which European country?
3 Which conflict lasted from 17th July 1936 to 1st April 1939?
4 These words from various different languages all have what identical meaning: Gehve, Qahwa, Sourj, Koohii, Kape?
5 Which NFL team is sometimes nicknamed "Americas Team"?
6 Which country has won the most Davis Cups?
7 A piano suite by which French composer (1862-1918) includes the movement ‘Clair De Lune’?
8 In 1934 which African country became the first to compete in a football (soccer) World Cup?
9 Diwali is an important festival in which religion?
10 The Husqvarna manufacturing group is headquartered in which European country?

cheers,
calvin

Dan Blum

Sep 12, 2017, 10:35:12 PM9/12/17
Calvin <334...@gmail.com> wrote:

> 2 Brno is a city of around 100,000 people in which European country?

Czech Republic

> 3 Which conflict lasted from 17th July 1936 to 1st April 1939?

Spanish Civil War

> 4 These words from various different languages all have what identical meaning: Gehve, Qahwa, Sourj, Koohii, Kape?

coffee

> 5 Which NFL team is sometimes nicknamed "Americas Team"?

Dallas Cowboys

> 6 Which country has won the most Davis Cups?

USA

> 7 A piano suite by which French composer (1862-1918) includes the movement ?Clair De Lune??

Debussy

> 8 In 1934 which African country became the first to compete in a football (soccer) World Cup?

South Africa

> 9 Diwali is an important festival in which religion?

Hinduism

> 10 The Husqvarna manufacturing group is headquartered in which European country?

Denmark

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Mark Brader

Sep 13, 2017, 2:06:59 AM9/13/17
"Calvin":
> I'm in New Zealand for the next two weeks so results won't be posted
> until early October.

Have fun.

> 1 What links Brooklyn, Romeo and Harper?

Beckham?

> 2 Brno is a city of around 100,000 people in which European country?

This question got harder when Czechoslovakia split up! I'll try Czechia.

> 3 Which conflict lasted from 17th July 1936 to 1st April 1939?

Spanish Civil War.

> 4 These words from various different languages all have what identical
> meaning: Gehve, Qahwa, Sourj, Koohii, Kape?

Johnson?

> 5 Which NFL team is sometimes nicknamed "Americas Team"?

Patriots?

> 6 Which country has won the most Davis Cups?

Germany?

> 7 A piano suite by which French composer (1862-1918) includes the
> movement 'Clair De Lune'?

Jeannesonne. :-)

> 8 In 1934 which African country became the first to compete in a
> football (soccer) World Cup?

South Africa?

> 9 Diwali is an important festival in which religion?

Hinduism.

> 10 The Husqvarna manufacturing group is headquartered in which
> European country?

Sqveden. :-)
--
Mark Brader, Toronto, m...@vex.net | "What are u interesting in?" --seen in spam

Erland Sommarskog

Sep 13, 2017, 6:53:21 AM9/13/17
Calvin (334...@gmail.com) writes:
> 2 Brno is a city of around 100,000 people in which European country?

Czechia

> 3 Which conflict lasted from 17th July 1936 to 1st April 1939?

Spanish Civil War

> 4 These words from various different languages all have what
> identical meaning: Gehve, Qahwa, Sourj, Koohii, Kape?

Beer

> 6 Which country has won the most Davis Cups?

US

> 7 A piano suite by which French composer (1862-1918) includes the
> movement ‘Clair De Lune’?

Debussy

> 8 In 1934 which African country became the first to compete in a
> football (soccer) World Cup?

Morrocco

> 9 Diwali is an important festival in which religion?

Hinduism

> 10 The Husqvarna manufacturing group is headquartered in which
> European country?

Sweden, I presume. They may not be located in their namesake city, though.8

Erland Sommarskog

Sep 13, 2017, 7:05:50 AM9/13/17
Erland Sommarskog (esq...@sommarskog.se) writes:
>> 10 The Husqvarna manufacturing group is headquartered in which
>> European country?
>>

> Sweden, I presume. They may not be located in their namesake city,
> though.

I had to check. HQ is in Stockholm. However, the board is actually seated
in Huskvarna! (Which is a twin city to the larger Jönköping on the southern
end of the lake Vättern.)

Marc Dashevsky

Sep 13, 2017, 9:57:04 AM9/13/17
In article <60b59fc5-741d-4206...@googlegroups.com>, 334...@gmail.com says...

> I'm in New Zealand for the next two weeks so results won't be posted until early October.
>
> 1 What links Brooklyn, Romeo and Harper?
> 2 Brno is a city of around 100,000 people in which European country?
Czechia

> 3 Which conflict lasted from 17th July 1936 to 1st April 1939?
> 4 These words from various different languages all have what identical meaning: Gehve, Qahwa, Sourj, Koohii, Kape?
head

> 5 Which NFL team is sometimes nicknamed "Americas Team"?
Dallas Cowboys

> 6 Which country has won the most Davis Cups?
U.S.

> 7 A piano suite by which French composer (1862-1918) includes the movement ?Clair De Lune??
Debussy

> 8 In 1934 which African country became the first to compete in a football (soccer) World Cup?
> 9 Diwali is an important festival in which religion?
Hinduism

> 10 The Husqvarna manufacturing group is headquartered in which European country?
Sweden

> cheers,
> calvin

---
http://www.avg.com

Mark Brader

Sep 13, 2017, 3:59:16 PM9/13/17
"Calvin":
>>> 10 The Husqvarna manufacturing group is headquartered in which
>>> European country?

Erland Sommarskog:
> I had to check. HQ is in Stockholm. However, the board is actually seated
> in Huskvarna! ...

Which, I see, was previously spelled like the company.
--
Mark Brader | "If you need features not found in any language,
Toronto | you can try your hand at creating your own.
| It is easy to create an unholy mess.)" -- Chris Torek

Gareth Owen

Sep 13, 2017, 4:58:54 PM9/13/17
Calvin <334...@gmail.com> writes:

> I'm in New Zealand for the next two weeks so results won't be posted
> until early October.
>
> 1 What links Brooklyn, Romeo and Harper?

Children of David & Victoria Beckham

> 2 Brno is a city of around 100,000 people in which European country?

*rolls dice* Hungary

> 3 Which conflict lasted from 17th July 1936 to 1st April 1939?

Spanish Civil War

> 4 These words from various different languages all have what identical
> meaning: Gehve, Qahwa, Sourj, Koohii, Kape?
> 5 Which NFL team is sometimes nicknamed "Americas Team"?

Dallas Cowboys

> 6 Which country has won the most Davis Cups?

Spain?

> 7 A piano suite by which French composer (1862-1918) includes the
> movement ‘Clair De Lune’?

Debussy

> 8 In 1934 which African country became the first to compete in a
> football (soccer) World Cup?

South Africa?

> 9 Diwali is an important festival in which religion?

Hinduism

> 10 The Husqvarna manufacturing group is headquartered in which
> European country?

Iceland?

Peter Smyth

Sep 14, 2017, 4:33:04 AM9/14/17
Calvin wrote:

> 1 What links Brooklyn, Romeo and Harper?
David Beckham's children
> 2 Brno is a city of around 100,000 people in which European country?
Czech Republic
> 3 Which conflict lasted from 17th July 1936 to 1st April 1939?
>
> 4 These words from various different languages all have what identical
> meaning: Gehve, Qahwa, Sourj, Koohii, Kape?
>
> 5 Which NFL team is sometimes nicknamed "Americas Team"?
Green Bay Packers
> 6 Which country has won the most Davis Cups?
USA
> 7 A piano suite by which French composer (1862-1918) includes the
> movement ‘Clair De Lune’?
Debussy
> 8 In 1934 which African country became the first to compete in a
> football (soccer) World Cup?
Egypt
> 9 Diwali is an important festival in which religion?
Hinduism (and I think Sikhism as well)
> 10 The Husqvarna manufacturing group is headquartered in which European
> country?

Peter Smyth

Dan Tilque

Sep 16, 2017, 5:33:52 AM9/16/17
Calvin wrote:
> I'm in New Zealand for the next two weeks so results won't be posted until early October.
>
> 1 What links Brooklyn, Romeo and Harper?
> 2 Brno is a city of around 100,000 people in which European country?

Czechia

> 3 Which conflict lasted from 17th July 1936 to 1st April 1939?

Spanish Civil War

> 4 These words from various different languages all have what identical meaning: Gehve, Qahwa, Sourj, Koohii, Kape?
> 5 Which NFL team is sometimes nicknamed "Americas Team"?

Dallas Cowboys

> 6 Which country has won the most Davis Cups?

USA

> 7 A piano suite by which French composer (1862-1918) includes the movement ‘Clair De Lune’?
> 8 In 1934 which African country became the first to compete in a football (soccer) World Cup?
> 9 Diwali is an important festival in which religion?

Sikhism

> 10 The Husqvarna manufacturing group is headquartered in which European country?

Sweden

--
Dan Tilque

Calvin

Oct 2, 2017, 9:36:24 PM10/2/17
On Wednesday, September 13, 2017 at 11:42:56 AM UTC+10, Calvin wrote:

I'm back!

> 1 What links Brooklyn, Romeo and Harper?

Beckham [children]

> 2 Brno is a city of around 100,000 people in which European country?

Czech Republic

> 3 Which conflict lasted from 17th July 1936 to 1st April 1939?

Spanish Civil War

> 4 These words from various different languages all have what identical meaning: Gehve, Qahwa, Sourj, Koohii, Kape?

Coffee
Singleton for Dan

> 5 Which NFL team is sometimes nicknamed "Americas Team"?

Dallas Cowboys

> 6 Which country has won the most Davis Cups?

USA

> 7 A piano suite by which French composer (1862-1918) includes the movement ‘Clair De Lune’?

Claude Debussy

> 8 In 1934 which African country became the first to compete in a football (soccer) World Cup?

Egypt
Singleton for Peter

> 9 Diwali is an important festival in which religion?

Hindusim was the expected answer, but as two posters noted Sikhism is also correct.

> 10 The Husqvarna manufacturing group is headquartered in which European country?

Sweden

Q1 Q2 Q3 Q4 Q5 Q6 Q7 Q8 Q9 Q10 TOTAL TB Quiz 503
0 1 1 1 1 1 1 0 1 0 7 33 Dan Blum
1 1 0 0 0 1 1 1 1 0 6 27 Peter Smyth
0 1 1 0 1 1 0 0 1 1 6 31 Dan Tilque
0 1 0 0 1 1 1 0 1 1 6 31 Marc Dashevsky