QFTCIUA19 Game 5, Rounds 7-8: assassins, Jewish holidays

Mark Brader

Jul 26, 2019, 1:31:42 AM7/26/19
These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2019-06-17,
and should be interpreted accordingly.

Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

All questions were written by members of Unnatural Axxxe and are
used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information see
my 2019-01-22 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

* Game 5, Round 7 - History - Assassins

We tell you the assassin, the year, and something about the place;
you identify the person assassinated.

1. Leon Czolgosz, Buffalo, New York, 1901.
2. Charles J. Guiteau, Baltimore & Potomac Railroad station, 1881.
3. Robert Ford, St. Joseph, Missouri, 1882.
4. Jack McCall, Deadwood, Dakota Territory, 1876.
5. Gavrilo Princip, Sarajevo, 1914.
6. James Earl Ray, Memphis, Tennessee, 1968.
7. Jack Ruby, Dallas, Texas, 1963.
8. Sirhan Sirhan, Los Angeles, 1968.
9. Patrick James Whelan, Ottawa, 1868.
10. Yigal Amir, Tel Aviv, Israel, 1995.

* Game 5, Round 8 - Miscellanous - Jewish Holidays and Practices

1. On which Jewish holiday are Jews ritually obligated to get so
intoxicated they can't tell the difference between the evil
Haman and the righteous Mordechai? The holiday is immortalized
in the movie "For Your Consideration".

2. The name for the Jewish new year literally translates as "Head
of the Year". What is the name of this fall holiday?

3. The 9-armed menorah is associated with which Jewish holiday?

4. What phrase, literally translated as "good stars", is a Hebrew
expression of congratulations?

5. On Shabbat, the challah (bread) is covered while the blessing
over wine is said. Why?

6. At a Passover seder, the plagues visited on Egypt are marked by
the spilling of wine on a plate: one drop for each of the
plagues. How many plagues were there?

7. How many books are there in the Torah?

8. Judaism is filled with early environmentalism. Tu' Bishvat
marks another new year in the Jewish calendar and these days
it is considered a day to celebrate nature. It is the new year
of what?

9. What is Yom HaShoah?

10. This harvest festival has Jews building temporary structures,
in which they eat and (sometimes) sleep. The Hebrew word
for this holiday translates to "booths" or "tabernacles".
Name the holiday.

--
Mark Brader | "I'm surprised there aren't laws about this in the USA..."
m...@vex.net | "Of course there are laws about this in the USA.
| --Rob Bannister and Evan Kirshenbaum

Erland Sommarskog

Jul 26, 2019, 3:45:46 AM7/26/19
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> * Game 5, Round 7 - History - Assassins
>
> We tell you the assassin, the year, and something about the place;
> you identify the person assassinated.
>
> 1. Leon Czolgosz, Buffalo, New York, 1901.

McKinley

> 4. Jack McCall, Deadwood, Dakota Territory, 1876.

Billie the Kid

> 5. Gavrilo Princip, Sarajevo, 1914.

Franz Ferdinand

> 6. James Earl Ray, Memphis, Tennessee, 1968.

Martin Luther King Jr

> 7. Jack Ruby, Dallas, Texas, 1963.

Lee Harvey Oswald

> 8. Sirhan Sirhan, Los Angeles, 1968.

Robert Kennedy

> 10. Yigal Amir, Tel Aviv, Israel, 1995.

Shamir

Joshua Kreitzer

Jul 26, 2019, 9:32:20 AM7/26/19
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:fpqdndGvUpSlDafAnZ2dnUU7-
b3N...@giganews.com:

> * Game 5, Round 7 - History - Assassins
>
> We tell you the assassin, the year, and something about the place;
> you identify the person assassinated.
>
> 1. Leon Czolgosz, Buffalo, New York, 1901.

William McKinley

> 2. Charles J. Guiteau, Baltimore & Potomac Railroad station, 1881.

James Garfield

> 3. Robert Ford, St. Joseph, Missouri, 1882.

Jesse James

> 5. Gavrilo Princip, Sarajevo, 1914.

Franz Ferdinand

> 6. James Earl Ray, Memphis, Tennessee, 1968.

Martin Luther King Jr.

> 7. Jack Ruby, Dallas, Texas, 1963.

Lee Harvey Oswald

> 8. Sirhan Sirhan, Los Angeles, 1968.

Robert Kennedy

> 10. Yigal Amir, Tel Aviv, Israel, 1995.

Yitzhak Rabin

> * Game 5, Round 8 - Miscellanous - Jewish Holidays and Practices
>
> 1. On which Jewish holiday are Jews ritually obligated to get so
> intoxicated they can't tell the difference between the evil
> Haman and the righteous Mordechai? The holiday is immortalized
> in the movie "For Your Consideration".

Purim

> 2. The name for the Jewish new year literally translates as "Head
> of the Year". What is the name of this fall holiday?

Rosh Hashanah

> 3. The 9-armed menorah is associated with which Jewish holiday?

Hanukkah

> 4. What phrase, literally translated as "good stars", is a Hebrew
> expression of congratulations?

mazel tov

> 6. At a Passover seder, the plagues visited on Egypt are marked by
> the spilling of wine on a plate: one drop for each of the
> plagues. How many plagues were there?

10

5

> 8. Judaism is filled with early environmentalism. Tu' Bishvat
> marks another new year in the Jewish calendar and these days
> it is considered a day to celebrate nature. It is the new year
> of what?

trees

> 9. What is Yom HaShoah?

Holocaust Remembrance Day

> 10. This harvest festival has Jews building temporary structures,
> in which they eat and (sometimes) sleep. The Hebrew word
> for this holiday translates to "booths" or "tabernacles".
> Name the holiday.

Sukkot

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

Dan Blum

Jul 26, 2019, 10:39:24 AM7/26/19
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 5, Round 7 - History - Assassins

> 1. Leon Czolgosz, Buffalo, New York, 1901.

William McKinley

> 2. Charles J. Guiteau, Baltimore & Potomac Railroad station, 1881.

James Garfield

> 3. Robert Ford, St. Joseph, Missouri, 1882.

Jesse James

> 4. Jack McCall, Deadwood, Dakota Territory, 1876.

"Wild" Bill Hickock

> 5. Gavrilo Princip, Sarajevo, 1914.

Archduke Franz Ferdinand

> 6. James Earl Ray, Memphis, Tennessee, 1968.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

> 7. Jack Ruby, Dallas, Texas, 1963.

Lee Harvey Oswald

> 8. Sirhan Sirhan, Los Angeles, 1968.

Robert F. Kennedy

> 10. Yigal Amir, Tel Aviv, Israel, 1995.

Yitzhak Rabin

> * Game 5, Round 8 - Miscellanous - Jewish Holidays and Practices

> 1. On which Jewish holiday are Jews ritually obligated to get so
> intoxicated they can't tell the difference between the evil
> Haman and the righteous Mordechai? The holiday is immortalized
> in the movie "For Your Consideration".

Purim

> 2. The name for the Jewish new year literally translates as "Head
> of the Year". What is the name of this fall holiday?

Rosh Hashanah

> 3. The 9-armed menorah is associated with which Jewish holiday?

Hannukah

> 4. What phrase, literally translated as "good stars", is a Hebrew
> expression of congratulations?

mazel tov

> 6. At a Passover seder, the plagues visited on Egypt are marked by
> the spilling of wine on a plate: one drop for each of the
> plagues. How many plagues were there?

10

> 9. What is Yom HaShoah?

day to remember the Holocaust

> 10. This harvest festival has Jews building temporary structures,
> in which they eat and (sometimes) sleep. The Hebrew word
> for this holiday translates to "booths" or "tabernacles".
> Name the holiday.

Sukkot

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Dan Tilque

Jul 26, 2019, 8:20:27 PM7/26/19
On 7/25/19 10:31 PM, Mark Brader wrote:>

> * Game 5, Round 7 - History - Assassins
>
> We tell you the assassin, the year, and something about the place;
> you identify the person assassinated.
>
> 1. Leon Czolgosz, Buffalo, New York, 1901.

William McKinley

> 2. Charles J. Guiteau, Baltimore & Potomac Railroad station, 1881.

James Garfield

> 3. Robert Ford, St. Joseph, Missouri, 1882.

Jesse James

> 4. Jack McCall, Deadwood, Dakota Territory, 1876.

Wild Bill Hickok

> 5. Gavrilo Princip, Sarajevo, 1914.

Archduke Ferdinand

> 6. James Earl Ray, Memphis, Tennessee, 1968.

Martin Luther King Junior

> 7. Jack Ruby, Dallas, Texas, 1963.

Lee Harvey Oswald

> 8. Sirhan Sirhan, Los Angeles, 1968.

Robert F Kennedy

> 9. Patrick James Whelan, Ottawa, 1868.
> 10. Yigal Amir, Tel Aviv, Israel, 1995.

Yitzhak Rabin

> * Game 5, Round 8 - Miscellanous - Jewish Holidays and Practices
>
> 1. On which Jewish holiday are Jews ritually obligated to get so
> intoxicated they can't tell the difference between the evil
> Haman and the righteous Mordechai? The holiday is immortalized
> in the movie "For Your Consideration".
>
> 2. The name for the Jewish new year literally translates as "Head
> of the Year". What is the name of this fall holiday?
>
> 3. The 9-armed menorah is associated with which Jewish holiday?

Hanukkah

> 4. What phrase, literally translated as "good stars", is a Hebrew
> expression of congratulations?

mazel tov

> 5. On Shabbat, the challah (bread) is covered while the blessing
> over wine is said. Why?
>
> 6. At a Passover seder, the plagues visited on Egypt are marked by
> the spilling of wine on a plate: one drop for each of the
> plagues. How many plagues were there?

12

--
Dan Tilque

Pete Gayde

Jul 28, 2019, 3:15:36 PM7/28/19
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:fpqdndGvUpSlDafAnZ2dnUU7-
b3N...@giganews.com:

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2019-06-17,

> Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of Unnatural Axxxe and are
> used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
> been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information see
> my 2019-01-22 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 5, Round 7 - History - Assassins
>
> We tell you the assassin, the year, and something about the place;
> you identify the person assassinated.
>
> 1. Leon Czolgosz, Buffalo, New York, 1901.

McKinley

> 2. Charles J. Guiteau, Baltimore & Potomac Railroad station, 1881.

Garfield

> 3. Robert Ford, St. Joseph, Missouri, 1882.

Billy the Kid

> 4. Jack McCall, Deadwood, Dakota Territory, 1876.

Billy the Kid

> 5. Gavrilo Princip, Sarajevo, 1914.

Archduke Franz Ferdinand

> 6. James Earl Ray, Memphis, Tennessee, 1968.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

> 7. Jack Ruby, Dallas, Texas, 1963.

President Kennedy

> 8. Sirhan Sirhan, Los Angeles, 1968.

Robert Kennedy

> 9. Patrick James Whelan, Ottawa, 1868.
> 10. Yigal Amir, Tel Aviv, Israel, 1995.

Rabin

> * Game 5, Round 8 - Miscellanous - Jewish Holidays and Practices
>
> 1. On which Jewish holiday are Jews ritually obligated to get so
> intoxicated they can't tell the difference between the evil
> Haman and the righteous Mordechai? The holiday is immortalized
> in the movie "For Your Consideration".

Sukkot

> 2. The name for the Jewish new year literally translates as "Head
> of the Year". What is the name of this fall holiday?

Yom Kippur

> 3. The 9-armed menorah is associated with which Jewish holiday?

Channukah

> 4. What phrase, literally translated as "good stars", is a Hebrew
> expression of congratulations?

Mazel Tov

> 5. On Shabbat, the challah (bread) is covered while the blessing
> over wine is said. Why?
>
> 6. At a Passover seder, the plagues visited on Egypt are marked by
> the spilling of wine on a plate: one drop for each of the
> plagues. How many plagues were there?

12

> 7. How many books are there in the Torah?

5

> 8. Judaism is filled with early environmentalism. Tu' Bishvat
> marks another new year in the Jewish calendar and these days
> it is considered a day to celebrate nature. It is the new year
> of what?
>
> 9. What is Yom HaShoah?

Holocaust Rememberance Day

> 10. This harvest festival has Jews building temporary structures,
> in which they eat and (sometimes) sleep. The Hebrew word
> for this holiday translates to "booths" or "tabernacles".
> Name the holiday.

Sukkot

Pete Gayde

Calvin

Jul 28, 2019, 7:15:38 PM7/28/19
On Friday, July 26, 2019 at 3:31:42 PM UTC+10, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 5, Round 7 - History - Assassins
>
> We tell you the assassin, the year, and something about the place;
> you identify the person assassinated.
>
> 1. Leon Czolgosz, Buffalo, New York, 1901.

McKinley

> 2. Charles J. Guiteau, Baltimore & Potomac Railroad station, 1881.

Garfield

> 3. Robert Ford, St. Joseph, Missouri, 1882.

James

> 4. Jack McCall, Deadwood, Dakota Territory, 1876.

Hickok

> 5. Gavrilo Princip, Sarajevo, 1914.

Franz Ferdinand

> 6. James Earl Ray, Memphis, Tennessee, 1968.

King

> 7. Jack Ruby, Dallas, Texas, 1963.

Oswald

> 8. Sirhan Sirhan, Los Angeles, 1968.

Kennedy

> 9. Patrick James Whelan, Ottawa, 1868.
> 10. Yigal Amir, Tel Aviv, Israel, 1995.

Sadat

> * Game 5, Round 8 - Miscellanous - Jewish Holidays and Practices

Pass

cheers,
calvin

Mark Brader

Jul 29, 2019, 12:48:30 AM7/29/19
Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2019-06-17,
> see my 2019-01-22 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

> * Game 5, Round 7 - History - Assassins

> We tell you the assassin, the year, and something about the place;
> you identify the person assassinated.

> 1. Leon Czolgosz, Buffalo, New York, 1901.

US President William McKinley. 4 for everyone -- Erland, Joshua,
Dan Blum, Dan Tilque, Pete, and Calvin.

> 2. Charles J. Guiteau, Baltimore & Potomac Railroad station, 1881.

US President James Garfield. (In Washington.) 4 for Joshua,
Dan Blum, Dan Tilque, Pete, and Calvin.

> 3. Robert Ford, St. Joseph, Missouri, 1882.

Jesse James. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, Dan Tilque, and Calvin.

> 4. Jack McCall, Deadwood, Dakota Territory, 1876.

James Butler "Wild Bill" Hickok. (Deadwood is now in South Dakota.)
4 for Dan Blum, Dan Tilque, and Calvin.

> 5. Gavrilo Princip, Sarajevo, 1914.

Archduke Franz Ferdinand of Austria, and his wife Sophie. Either one
was sufficient. (Sarajevo was then in the Austro-Hungarian Empire
and is now in Bosnia and Herzegovina.) 4 for everyone.

> 6. James Earl Ray, Memphis, Tennessee, 1968.

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. 4 for everyone.

> 7. Jack Ruby, Dallas, Texas, 1963.

Lee Harvey Oswald. 4 for Erland, Joshua, Dan Blum, Dan Tilque,
and Calvin.

> 8. Sirhan Sirhan, Los Angeles, 1968.

Robert F. Kennedy. "Kennedy" was sufficient. 4 for everyone.

> 9. Patrick James Whelan, Ottawa, 1868.

Thomas D'Arcy McGee, MP.

> 10. Yigal Amir, Tel Aviv, Israel, 1995.

Israeli Prime Minister Yitzhak Rabin. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum,
Dan Tilque, and Pete.

> * Game 5, Round 8 - Miscellanous - Jewish Holidays and Practices

> 1. On which Jewish holiday are Jews ritually obligated to get so
> intoxicated they can't tell the difference between the evil
> Haman and the righteous Mordechai? The holiday is immortalized
> in the movie "For Your Consideration".

Purim. 4 for Joshua and Dan Blum.

> 2. The name for the Jewish new year literally translates as "Head
> of the Year". What is the name of this fall holiday?

Rosh Hashanah. 4 for Joshua and Dan Blum.

> 3. The 9-armed menorah is associated with which Jewish holiday?

Channukah. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, Dan Tilque, and Pete.

> 4. What phrase, literally translated as "good stars", is a Hebrew
> expression of congratulations?

Mazel tov. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, Dan Tilque, and Pete.

> 5. On Shabbat, the challah (bread) is covered while the blessing
> over wine is said. Why?

So it doesn't get jealous.

> 6. At a Passover seder, the plagues visited on Egypt are marked by
> the spilling of wine on a plate: one drop for each of the
> plagues. How many plagues were there?

10. 4 for Joshua and Dan Blum.

> 7. How many books are there in the Torah?

5. 4 for Joshua, Dan Tilque, and Pete.

> 8. Judaism is filled with early environmentalism. Tu' Bishvat
> marks another new year in the Jewish calendar and these days
> it is considered a day to celebrate nature. It is the new year
> of what?

Trees. 4 for Joshua.

> 9. What is Yom HaShoah?

Holocaust Remembrance Day. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, and Pete.

> 10. This harvest festival has Jews building temporary structures,
> in which they eat and (sometimes) sleep. The Hebrew word
> for this holiday translates to "booths" or "tabernacles".
> Name the holiday.

Sukkot. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, and Pete.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 5 ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 5 6 5 8 BEST
TOPICS-> Can Ent Sci Aud Lit His Mis FIVE
Joshua Kreitzer 33 36 28 28 24 32 36 165
Dan Blum 21 20 16 2 24 36 28 129
Dan Tilque 20 4 36 0 16 36 12 120
Pete Gayde 25 28 20 20 20 24 20 117
"Calvin" 0 11 7 11 12 32 0 73
Erland Sommarskog -- -- -- -- -- 20 0 20

--
Mark Brader "Male got pregnant -- on the first try."
Toronto Newsweek article on high-tech conception