RQ #265 - Presidents' Lives

Calvin

Aug 17, 2017, 12:24:48 AM8/17/17
RGTers

Thanks to Mark for running RQ #264. Here is the sequel, Rotating Quiz #265. Its theme is American Presidents' lives. Listed below are 10 such presidents. Your task is to nominate the birth and death *year* for each one. So just respond with 2 years (birth, then death) under each president. A correct answer is worth 0 points, and you will lose 1 point for each year you are out by. The lowest total wins hosting rights for RQ #266. Good Luck!

1 George Washington
2 Thomas Jefferson
3 Abraham Lincoln
4 U.S. Grant
5 Bill Taft
6 Herbert Hoover
7 FDR
8 Dwight Eisenhower
9 Richard Nixon
10 Ronald Reagan

cheers,
calvin

Mark Brader

Aug 17, 2017, 2:50:32 AM8/17/17
"Calvin":
> 1 George Washington

1720-1810.

> 2 Thomas Jefferson

1730-1824.

> 3 Abraham Lincoln

1812-1865.

> 4 U.S. Grant

1812-1890.

> 5 Bill Taft

1860-1920.

> 6 Herbert Hoover

1880-1945.

> 7 FDR

1880-1945.

> 8 Dwight Eisenhower

1890-1968.

> 9 Richard Nixon

1910-1990.

> 10 Ronald Reagan

1910-1999.

If this entry happens to win, due to travel plans the earliest I would be
able to start the next contest would be about August 29.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "Professor, I think I have a counterexample."
m...@vex.net | "That's all right; I have two proofs."

Dan Blum

Aug 17, 2017, 10:44:30 AM8/17/17
Calvin <334...@gmail.com> wrote:

> 1 George Washington

1732
1802

> 2 Thomas Jefferson

1740
1826

> 3 Abraham Lincoln

1809
1865

> 4 U.S. Grant

1822
1888

> 5 Bill Taft

1850
1925

> 6 Herbert Hoover

1870
1945

> 7 FDR

1880
1945

> 8 Dwight Eisenhower

1890
1966

> 9 Richard Nixon

1920
2004

> 10 Ronald Reagan

1910
2006

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Erland Sommarskog

Aug 17, 2017, 1:46:05 PM8/17/17
Calvin (334...@gmail.com) writes:
> 1 George Washington

1726-1782

> 2 Thomas Jefferson

1736-1809

> 3 Abraham Lincoln

1790-1865

> 4 U.S. Grant

1834-1889

> 5 Bill Taft

1852-1926

> 6 Herbert Hoover

1865-1940

> 7 FDR

1870-1945

> 8 Dwight Eisenhower

1898-1971

> 9 Richard Nixon

1912-1982

> 10 Ronald Reagan

1911-1995

Dan Tilque

Aug 18, 2017, 12:37:50 AM8/18/17
Calvin wrote:
> RGTers
>
> Thanks to Mark for running RQ #264. Here is the sequel, Rotating Quiz #265. Its theme is American Presidents' lives. Listed below are 10 such presidents. Your task is to nominate the birth and death *year* for each one. So just respond with 2 years (birth, then death) under each president. A correct answer is worth 0 points, and you will lose 1 point for each year you are out by. The lowest total wins hosting rights for RQ #266. Good Luck!
>
> 1 George Washington

1722, 1798

> 2 Thomas Jefferson

1745, 1834

> 3 Abraham Lincoln

1809, 1865

> 4 U.S. Grant

1803, 1879

> 5 Bill Taft

1852, 1939

> 6 Herbert Hoover

1880, 1973

> 7 FDR

1881, 1945

> 8 Dwight Eisenhower

1886, 1967

> 9 Richard Nixon

1907, 1989

> 10 Ronald Reagan

1904, 1991

--
Dan Tilque

Calvin

Aug 24, 2017, 1:17:35 AM8/24/17
On Thursday, August 17, 2017 at 2:24:48 PM UTC+10, Calvin wrote:
> RGTers
>
> Thanks to Mark for running RQ #264. Here is the sequel, Rotating Quiz #265. Its theme is American Presidents' lives. Listed below are 10 such presidents. Your task is to nominate the birth and death *year* for each one. So just respond with 2 years (birth, then death) under each president. A correct answer is worth 0 points, and you will lose 1 point for each year you are out by. The lowest total wins hosting rights for RQ #266. Good Luck!

Here are the correct answers:

President born died
George Washington 1732 1799
Thomas Jefferson 1743 1826
Abraham Lincoln 1809 1865
US Grant 1822 1885
Bill Taft 1857 1930
Herbert Hoover 1874 1964
FDR 1882 1945
Dwight Eisenhower 1890 1969
Richard Nixon 1913 1994
Ronald Reagan 1911 2004

And the scores in order of receipt:

Mark
-23
-15
-3
-15
-13
-25
-2
-1
-7
-6
Total: -110

Dan B
-3
-3
0
-3
-12
-23
-2
-3
-17
-3
Total: -69

Erland
-23
-24
-19
-16
-9
-33
-12
-10
-13
-9
Total: -168

Dan T
-11
-10
0
-25
-14
-15
-1
-6
-11
-20
Total: -113

Some observations:
* FDR was the best answered, followed by Eisenhower (!) and Lincoln
* Coolidge was easily the worst answered, followed by Washington (!) and Grant.

Dan B is the clear winner and so gains the hosting rights for RQ #266. Over to you.

Thanks for playing.

cheers,
calvin

Erland Sommarskog

Aug 24, 2017, 3:20:05 AM8/24/17
Calvin (334...@gmail.com) writes:
> Some observations:
> * FDR was the best answered, followed by Eisenhower (!) and Lincoln

Obviously the presidents who died in office were easy to spot in that end.
And for Reagan the birth year was an easy pick, since he at the time with
his 69 years was the oldest person to have been elected president.

I am not surprised that I was the end of the pack, as I just entered a bunch
of guesses. I am little more surprised that so few entered, since coming up
with guesses were not that hard.

> * Coolidge was easily the worst answered,

As a matter of fact, he was not answered at all.

Dan Blum

Aug 24, 2017, 9:50:04 AM8/24/17
Calvin <334...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Dan B is the clear winner and so gains the hosting rights for RQ #266. Over to you.

Thanks. I'll probably post over the weekend.

Marc Dashevsky

Aug 24, 2017, 10:50:35 AM8/24/17
In article <XnsA7DB5EF4B...@127.0.0.1>, esq...@sommarskog.se says...

> Calvin (334...@gmail.com) writes:
> > Some observations:
> > * FDR was the best answered, followed by Eisenhower (!) and Lincoln
> >

> Obviously the presidents who died in office were easy to spot in that end.
> And for Reagan the birth year was an easy pick, since he at the time with
> his 69 years was the oldest person to have been elected president.
>
> I am not surprised that I was the end of the pack, as I just entered a bunch
> of guesses. I am little more surprised that so few entered, since coming up
> with guesses were not that hard.

I generally don't enter quizzes for which I have to guess all the answers.
Lincoln is the only date (death) I knew. I thought I knew GW's birth year
but over the ages I seem to have transposed the last two digits.

Erland Sommarskog

Aug 24, 2017, 2:04:18 PM8/24/17
Marc Dashevsky (use...@MarcDashevsky.com) writes:
> I generally don't enter quizzes for which I have to guess all the answers.
> Lincoln is the only date (death) I knew.

Not even FDR???

Calvin

Aug 24, 2017, 8:52:38 PM8/24/17
On Thursday, August 24, 2017 at 5:20:05 PM UTC+10, Erland Sommarskog wrote:
> Calvin (334...@gmail.com) writes:

> > * Coolidge was easily the worst answered,
> >

> As a matter of fact, he was not answered at all.

Indeed. Make that Hoover!

cheers,
calvin

Dan Tilque

Aug 24, 2017, 10:10:09 PM8/24/17
Marc Dashevsky wrote:

> I generally don't enter quizzes for which I have to guess all the answers.
> Lincoln is the only date (death) I knew. I thought I knew GW's birth year
> but over the ages I seem to have transposed the last two digits.

I largely agree with this. But I make a distinction between making total
WAGs and educated guesses. If I can make an educated guess, it adds some
fun that is missing when I have no clue at all.

In this case, I knew the years of their presidency and I know that most
presidents got into office in their 50s or early 60s, I could make
educated guesses. So it was worth entering, even though I only knew
three of the years for certain.

--
Dan Tilque

Erland Sommarskog

Aug 25, 2017, 3:29:36 AM8/25/17
Dan Tilque (dti...@frontier.com) writes:
> I largely agree with this. But I make a distinction between making total
> WAGs and educated guesses. If I can make an educated guess, it adds some
> fun that is missing when I have no clue at all.
>
> In this case, I knew the years of their presidency and I know that most
> presidents got into office in their 50s or early 60s, I could make
> educated guesses. So it was worth entering, even though I only knew
> three of the years for certain.

I would agree with this. Had Calvin posted 10 pictures of Australian Prime
Ministers and their names and then asked us to tell who's who, I would not
have been bothered. But here it was possible with educated guesses.
Nevermind that for some of the Presidents I was quite foggy of their period
in office, but it was clear that the list was chronological, so that
helped. And it was sort of interesting challenge to figure out the age of
Lincoln from the pictures I've seen of him.

Marc Dashevsky

Aug 25, 2017, 11:05:06 AM8/25/17
In article <XnsA7DBCC2E7...@127.0.0.1>, esq...@sommarskog.se says...

> Marc Dashevsky (use...@MarcDashevsky.com) writes:
> > I generally don't enter quizzes for which I have to guess all the answers.
> > Lincoln is the only date (death) I knew.
>
> Not even FDR???

You're right -- I know that.

Dan Tilque

Aug 26, 2017, 2:22:05 AM8/26/17
Erland Sommarskog wrote:
> And it was sort of interesting challenge to figure out the age of
> Lincoln from the pictures I've seen of him.

Lincoln's birth year was one of those I knew. Trivia about that:

Lincoln and Charles Darwin were born on the exact same day: Feb 12, 1809.

--
Dan Tilque

Mark Brader

Aug 27, 2017, 7:26:33 PM8/27/17
Dan Tilque:
> Lincoln's birth year was one of those I knew. Trivia about that:
>
> Lincoln and Charles Darwin were born on the exact same day: Feb 12, 1809.

By the way, I knew that too, only I had the 12 in the wrong field. :-(
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "He is even more important than my cat,
m...@vex.net | which is saying something." --Flash Wilson