QFTCI5EP Game 10, Rounds 4,6: Board games, Canfilm

Mark Brader

Aug 15, 2017, 1:07:24 AM8/15/17
Oops, I posted this first in the thread from the previous set.
If you see this version, please answer in this thread, but if
you answer in the other thread I'll accept it.

These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2017-03-27,
and should be interpreted accordingly.

Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

All questions were written by members of 5 Easy Pieces and are
used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information see
my 2016-11-26 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

* Game 10, Round 4 - Sports - Board Games

This round concerns popular and relatively recent board games.
In each case, we will give the name of the game and you will
identify the picture on the handout:

http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/G10R4/games3.jpg

If you find that format inconveniently wide, you may alternatively
use this version of the handout:

http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/G10R4/games2.jpg

1. Puerto Rico.
2. Carcassonne.
3. Catan (formerly called Settlers of Catan).
4. Risk.
5. Clue.
6. King of Tokyo.
7. Codenames.
8. Forbidden Island.
9. Ticket to Ride.
10. Pandemic.

So there were 8 decoys. Decode the rot13 if you would like to
identify them for fun, but for no points.

11. Dhvexyr.
12. Qbzvavba.
13. 7 Jbaqref.
14. Qvkvg.
15. Fznyy Jbeyq.
16. Ntevpbyn.
17. Rkcybqvat Xvggraf.
18. Nexunz Ubeebe.

* Game 10, Round 6 - Canadiana - Canadian Movies

Films made in Canada aren't always recognized in this country.
This round does its best to change that.

1. French-Canadian film director, screenwriter, and actor Xavier
Dolan has become the toast of Cannes and other film festivals
in recent years. Dolan was already acclaimed as a director
when he made this 2014 feature about familial angst. It won
the Jury Prize at Cannes that year. Name it.

2. Directed by Bruce McDonald and released in 1996, this
mockumentary is about a fictional punk rock band touring
western Canada. What is its title?

3. Released in 1995, this feature-film debut of director Robert
Lepage is set in 1952 and concerns Quebec City as it awaits
the arrival of Alfred Hitchcock to shoot his movie "I Confess".
Name it.

4. Released in 1989, this Denys Arcand comedy-drama revolves around
a group of actors who perform the Passion Play in a Quebec
church. What is it called?

5. Considered a classic of Canadian cinema, this 1971 drama features
a teenage boy as he accompanies his uncle, an undertaker,
to pick up the body of a similar-aged boy. Name it.

6. Atom Egoyan filmed this 1997 bummer about life in a small BC
town after most of their children are lost in a school-bus
accident. What is its title?

7. David Cronenberg's 1997 science-fiction/horror film centres
on Max, a sleazeball broadcaster who comes across a Malaysian
TV program that specializes in mutilation, torture, and murder.
He sets out to find more about it but finds himself morbidly
changed. Name the film.

8. Yep, it had to be here. In this 1970 flick, Pete and Joey drive
to Toronto from Nova Scotia to look for jobs. Trouble ensues.
What is the movie's title?

9. Sarah Polley had a successful career as an actress, then turned
to direct and write movies to much acclaim, including garnering
an Academy Award nomination for Best Adapted Screenplay for this
2006 film about a husband dealing with his wife's Alzheimer's.
Name it.

10. This 1982 biographical western tells the true story of Bill
Minor, a stagecoach robber who is released from prison in 1901
and goes on a tear to commit more robberies, this time on trains.
What is it called?

--
Mark Brader "It really was quite easy; it was the
Toronto explanations and banter that took

Calvin

Aug 15, 2017, 1:39:11 AM8/15/17
On Tuesday, August 15, 2017 at 3:07:24 PM UTC+10, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 10, Round 4 - Sports - Board Games
>
> This round concerns popular and relatively recent board games.
> In each case, we will give the name of the game and you will
> identify the picture on the handout:
>
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/G10R4/games3.jpg
>
> If you find that format inconveniently wide, you may alternatively
> use this version of the handout:
>
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/G10R4/games2.jpg
>
> 1. Puerto Rico.

5, 15

> 2. Carcassonne.
> 3. Catan (formerly called Settlers of Catan).

11

4

> 5. Clue.

14

> 6. King of Tokyo.

9, 13

2

> 8. Forbidden Island.

5, 15

8

> 10. Pandemic.

1, 6

> * Game 10, Round 6 - Canadiana - Canadian Movies

Pass

cheers,
calvin

Dan Blum

Aug 15, 2017, 9:44:51 AM8/15/17
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 10, Round 4 - Sports - Board Games

> 1. Puerto Rico.

15

> 2. Carcassonne.

17

5

4

> 5. Clue.

14

> 6. King of Tokyo.

13

2

9

8

6

> * Game 10, Round 6 - Canadiana - Canadian Movies

> 6. Atom Egoyan filmed this 1997 bummer about life in a small BC
> town after most of their children are lost in a school-bus
> accident. What is its title?

The Sweet Hereafter

> 7. David Cronenberg's 1997 science-fiction/horror film centres
> on Max, a sleazeball broadcaster who comes across a Malaysian
> TV program that specializes in mutilation, torture, and murder.
> He sets out to find more about it but finds himself morbidly
> changed. Name the film.

Videodrome

> 10. This 1982 biographical western tells the true story of Bill
> Minor, a stagecoach robber who is released from prison in 1901
> and goes on a tear to commit more robberies, this time on trains.
> What is it called?

The Great Train Robber

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Dan Blum

Aug 15, 2017, 9:47:17 AM8/15/17
Dan Blum <to...@panix.com> wrote:

> > 7. David Cronenberg's 1997 science-fiction/horror film centres
> > on Max, a sleazeball broadcaster who comes across a Malaysian
> > TV program that specializes in mutilation, torture, and murder.
> > He sets out to find more about it but finds himself morbidly
> > changed. Name the film.

> Videodrome

After checking I am pretty sure this is the correct answer, but it
came out in 1983. According to IMDB Cronenberg did not have any movie
come out in 1997.

Marc Dashevsky

Aug 15, 2017, 11:44:41 AM8/15/17
In article <nK-dnbdo2fQaHA_E...@giganews.com>, m...@vex.net says...

4

> 5. Clue.
14

The Sweet Hereafter

> 7. David Cronenberg's 1997 science-fiction/horror film centres
> on Max, a sleazeball broadcaster who comes across a Malaysian
> TV program that specializes in mutilation, torture, and murder.
> He sets out to find more about it but finds himself morbidly
> changed. Name the film.
Videodrome (wrong year in question)

> 8. Yep, it had to be here. In this 1970 flick, Pete and Joey drive
> to Toronto from Nova Scotia to look for jobs. Trouble ensues.
> What is the movie's title?
>
> 9. Sarah Polley had a successful career as an actress, then turned
> to direct and write movies to much acclaim, including garnering
> an Academy Award nomination for Best Adapted Screenplay for this
> 2006 film about a husband dealing with his wife's Alzheimer's.
> Name it.
>
> 10. This 1982 biographical western tells the true story of Bill
> Minor, a stagecoach robber who is released from prison in 1901
> and goes on a tear to commit more robberies, this time on trains.
> What is it called?
Grey Fox

Erland Sommarskog

Aug 15, 2017, 2:58:03 PM8/15/17
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> * Game 10, Round 4 - Sports - Board Games
>
> 1. Puerto Rico.

18

> 2. Carcassonne.

14

> 3. Catan (formerly called Settlers of Catan).

5

> 4. Risk.

4 (The only one I know)

2

3

2

> 8. Forbidden Island.

15

6

> 10. Pandemic.

13

> * Game 10, Round 6 - Canadiana - Canadian Movies

Not bad! I've seen two out of ten, definitely above average!

> 4. Released in 1989, this Denys Arcand comedy-drama revolves around
> a group of actors who perform the Passion Play in a Quebec
> church. What is it called?

Jésus de Montréal

> 6. Atom Egoyan filmed this 1997 bummer about life in a small BC
> town after most of their children are lost in a school-bus
> accident. What is its title?

The Sweet Hereafter

(BC? I got the impression that it was actually in Northern US, which
surprised me when I learnt about it.)

Peter Smyth

Aug 15, 2017, 5:02:51 PM8/15/17
15
4
> 5. Clue.
14
2
8
6

> So there were 8 decoys. Decode the rot13 if you would like to
> identify them for fun, but for no points.
>
> 11. Quirkle.
> 12. Dominion.
> 13. 7 Wonders.
> 14. Dixit.
> 15. Small World.
> 16. Agricola.
> 17. Exploding Kittens.
> 18. Arkham Horror.

Peter Smyth

Pete Gayde

Aug 15, 2017, 9:23:29 PM8/15/17
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:nK-dnbdo2fQaHA_EnZ2dnUU7-
THN...@giganews.com:
15

4

3

> 6. King of Tokyo.

12

5

> 9. Ticket to Ride.

8

Pete Gayde

Joshua Kreitzer

Aug 15, 2017, 11:51:00 PM8/15/17
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:nK-dnbdo2fQaHA_EnZ2dnUU7-
THN...@giganews.com:

> * Game 10, Round 4 - Sports - Board Games
>
> This round concerns popular and relatively recent board games.
> In each case, we will give the name of the game and you will
> identify the picture on the handout:
>
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/G10R4/games3.jpg
>
> 1. Puerto Rico.

15; 3

> 2. Carcassonne.

1; 3

> 3. Catan (formerly called Settlers of Catan).

5; 15

4

> 5. Clue.

14

> 6. King of Tokyo.

13

2

> 8. Forbidden Island.

13; 18

8

6

> * Game 10, Round 6 - Canadiana - Canadian Movies
>
> Films made in Canada aren't always recognized in this country.
> This round does its best to change that.
>
> 1. French-Canadian film director, screenwriter, and actor Xavier
> Dolan has become the toast of Cannes and other film festivals
> in recent years. Dolan was already acclaimed as a director
> when he made this 2014 feature about familial angst. It won
> the Jury Prize at Cannes that year. Name it.

"C.R.A.Z.Y."

> 2. Directed by Bruce McDonald and released in 1996, this
> mockumentary is about a fictional punk rock band touring
> western Canada. What is its title?

"Hard Core Logo"

> 3. Released in 1995, this feature-film debut of director Robert
> Lepage is set in 1952 and concerns Quebec City as it awaits
> the arrival of Alfred Hitchcock to shoot his movie "I Confess".
> Name it.

"Le confessionel"

> 4. Released in 1989, this Denys Arcand comedy-drama revolves around
> a group of actors who perform the Passion Play in a Quebec
> church. What is it called?

"Jesus of Montreal"

> 6. Atom Egoyan filmed this 1997 bummer about life in a small BC
> town after most of their children are lost in a school-bus
> accident. What is its title?

"The Sweet Hereafter"

> 9. Sarah Polley had a successful career as an actress, then turned
> to direct and write movies to much acclaim, including garnering
> an Academy Award nomination for Best Adapted Screenplay for this
> 2006 film about a husband dealing with his wife's Alzheimer's.
> Name it.

"Away with Her"

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

Dan Tilque

Aug 16, 2017, 1:31:00 AM8/16/17
Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 10, Round 4 - Sports - Board Games
>
> This round concerns popular and relatively recent board games.
> In each case, we will give the name of the game and you will
> identify the picture on the handout:
>
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/G10R4/games3.jpg
>
> If you find that format inconveniently wide, you may alternatively
> use this version of the handout:
>
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/G10R4/games2.jpg
>
> 1. Puerto Rico.

15

4

> 5. Clue.
> 6. King of Tokyo.

13

2

> 8. Forbidden Island.

18

8

> 10. Pandemic.

6

Dan Tilque

Jason Kreitzer

Aug 16, 2017, 10:14:06 PM8/16/17
1.
> 2. Carcassonne.
2.
> 3. Catan (formerly called Settlers of Catan).
3.
> 4. Risk.
4.
> 5. Clue.
14.
> 6. King of Tokyo.
6.
> 7. Codenames.
7.
> 8. Forbidden Island.
8.
> 9. Ticket to Ride.
9.
> 10. Pandemic.
10.
"Jesus of Montreal"
> 5. Considered a classic of Canadian cinema, this 1971 drama features
> a teenage boy as he accompanies his uncle, an undertaker,
> to pick up the body of a similar-aged boy. Name it.
>
> 6. Atom Egoyan filmed this 1997 bummer about life in a small BC
> town after most of their children are lost in a school-bus
> accident. What is its title?
>
> 7. David Cronenberg's 1997 science-fiction/horror film centres
> on Max, a sleazeball broadcaster who comes across a Malaysian
> TV program that specializes in mutilation, torture, and murder.
> He sets out to find more about it but finds himself morbidly
> changed. Name the film.
"Videodrome"

Mark Brader

Aug 17, 2017, 11:33:51 PM8/17/17
Mark Brader:
> > 6. Atom Egoyan filmed this 1997 bummer about life in a small BC
> > town after most of their children are lost in a school-bus
> > accident. What is its title?

Erland Sommarskog:
> (BC? I got the impression that it was actually in Northern US, which
> surprised me when I learnt about it.)

Apparently the original novel was set in the US, but Egoyan himself was
originally from BC and chose that setting:

http://www.metronews.ca/news/vancouver/2017/04/19/atom-egoyan-in-bc-to-mark-20-years-since-sweet-hereafter.html

I'd always assumed that the actual disaster that inspired the movie was
one in Quebec -- searching now, I was thinking of the one at Lac d'Argent
in 1978, which involved disabled people rather than children -- but if
Wikipedia is correct, the actual actual one was in Texas.
--
Mark Brader Twas unix and the C++
Toronto Did compile and load upon the vax:

Mark Brader

Aug 17, 2017, 11:43:31 PM8/17/17
Mark Brader:

#15. 4 for Dan Blum, Peter, Pete, and Dan Tilque. 3 for Joshua.
2 for Calvin.

#17. 4 for Dan Blum.

#5. 4 for Dan Blum, Marc, Erland, Peter, and Dan Tilque.
3 for Joshua.

#4. 4 for everyone -- Calvin, Dan Blum, Marc, Erland, Peter, Pete,
Joshua, Dan Tilque, and Jason.

#14. (Apparently it's a Harry Potter edition!) 4 for Calvin,
Dan Blum, Marc, Peter, Joshua, and Jason.

#13. 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, and Dan Tilque. 2 for Calvin.

#2. 4 for Calvin, Dan Blum, Erland, Peter, Joshua, and Dan Tilque.

#9. 4 for Dan Blum.

#8. 4 for Calvin, Dan Blum, Peter, Pete, Joshua, and Dan Tilque.

#6. 4 for Dan Blum, Peter, Joshua, and Dan Tilque. 2 for Calvin.

> So there were 8 decoys. Decode the rot13 if you would like to
> identify them for fun, but for no points.

Nobody tried these.

#7.

#10.

#3.

#12.

#18.

#11.

#16.

#1.

> * Game 10, Round 6 - Canadiana - Canadian Movies

> Films made in Canada aren't always recognized in this country.
> This round does its best to change that.

Hah!

> 1. French-Canadian film director, screenwriter, and actor Xavier
> Dolan has become the toast of Cannes and other film festivals
> in recent years. Dolan was already acclaimed as a director
> when he made this 2014 feature about familial angst. It won
> the Jury Prize at Cannes that year. Name it.

"Mommy".

> 2. Directed by Bruce McDonald and released in 1996, this
> mockumentary is about a fictional punk rock band touring
> western Canada. What is its title?

"Hard Core Logo". 4 for Joshua.

> 3. Released in 1995, this feature-film debut of director Robert
> Lepage is set in 1952 and concerns Quebec City as it awaits
> the arrival of Alfred Hitchcock to shoot his movie "I Confess".
> Name it.

"The Confessional". ("Le confessionnal".) 4 for Joshua.

> 4. Released in 1989, this Denys Arcand comedy-drama revolves around
> a group of actors who perform the Passion Play in a Quebec
> church. What is it called?

"Jesus of Montreal". (Jésus de Montréal".) 4 for Erland, Joshua,
and Jason.

> 5. Considered a classic of Canadian cinema, this 1971 drama features
> a teenage boy as he accompanies his uncle, an undertaker,
> to pick up the body of a similar-aged boy. Name it.

"Mon Oncle Antoine". ("My Uncle Antoine".)

> 6. Atom Egoyan filmed this 1997 bummer about life in a small BC
> town after most of their children are lost in a school-bus
> accident. What is its title?

"The Sweet Hereafter". 4 for Dan Blum, Marc, Erland, and Joshua.

> 7. David Cronenberg's 1997 science-fiction/horror film centres
> on Max, a sleazeball broadcaster who comes across a Malaysian
> TV program that specializes in mutilation, torture, and murder.
> He sets out to find more about it but finds himself morbidly
> changed. Name the film.

"Videodrome". 4 for Dan Blum, Marc, and Jason.

As some entrants noted, the correct date was 1983. In fact this was
noticed during the original game, but it did not lead to a protest
and I forgot to correct it here. Sorry.

> 8. Yep, it had to be here. In this 1970 flick, Pete and Joey drive
> to Toronto from Nova Scotia to look for jobs. Trouble ensues.
> What is the movie's title?

"Goin' down the Road".

> 9. Sarah Polley had a successful career as an actress, then turned
> to direct and write movies to much acclaim, including garnering
> an Academy Award nomination for Best Adapted Screenplay for this
> 2006 film about a husband dealing with his wife's Alzheimer's.
> Name it.

"Away from Her". 3 for Joshua.

> 10. This 1982 biographical western tells the true story of Bill
> Minor, a stagecoach robber who is released from prison in 1901
> and goes on a tear to commit more robberies, this time on trains.
> What is it called?

"The Grey Fox". 4 for Marc.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 10 ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 6 TOTALS
TOPICS-> Geo Sci Spo Can
Joshua Kreitzer 16 8 30 19 73
Dan Blum 8 11 40 8 67
Dan Tilque 8 10 28 0 46
Erland Sommarskog 16 3 12 8 39
"Calvin" 13 3 22 0 38
Marc Dashevsky 8 3 12 12 35
Pete Gayde 9 11 12 0 32
Peter Smyth -- -- 28 0 28
Jason Kreitzer 4 0 8 8 20

--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "GUALITY IS FIRST"
m...@vex.net | --slogan of "Dongda electron CO.,LTD"