QFTCIBSI Game 8, Rounds 7-8: sounds feminine, element-like

Mark Brader

Apr 17, 2016, 1:11:34 AM4/17/16
These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2015-11-16,
and should be interpreted accordingly.

Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

All questions were written by members of the Bloor St. Irregulars,
and are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
see my 2015-08-18 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

* Game 8, Round 7 - Entertainment - Male Entertainer or Mom's Female Friend?

Some men have names that sound like they are female names. And some
men are famous. Here are 10 questions about famous men from the
world of entertainment who have names that could be female names.
They sound like they could be my mother's female friends.

Note: *First and last name* required in all cases.

1. This American actor was born in 1959 and starred as Batman in
"Batman Forever", as Jim Morrison in "The Doors", and as Doc
Holliday in "Tombstone".

2. This actor born in 1954 has starred in movies such as "Rush
Hour", "Shanghai Knights", and "Around the World in 80 Days".

3. This singer was born Brian Warner in 1969 and found commercial
success in 1996 with the album "Antichrist Superstar" and the
single "The Beautiful People".

4. This singer was born Vincent Furnier in 1948 and released his
first solo album "Welcome to My Nightmare" in 1975.

5. This Englishman who lived 1906-76 directed movies such as
"The Third Man" and "Oliver!"

6. This actor-director was born in 1956 and has directed movies
such as "The Passion of the Christ" and "Apocalypto".

7. This Canadian-American actor lived 1926-2010 and starred in
movies such as "The Poseidon Adventure" and "Airplane!"

8. This American musician played guitar in Fleetwood Mac, and
wrote and performed "Holiday Road", the theme song to the movie
"National Lampoon's Vacation".

9. This American actor and comedian has done impressions of
George Bush Sr. on "Saturday Night Live", and starred as Garth in
"Wayne's World".

10. This American actor and comedian was also a cast member on
"Saturday Night Live" before he moved to "30 Rock", and last year
was involved in a fatal motor vehicle incident. Fortunately,
he survived.

* Game 8, Round 8 - Science - Replacing Letters of Elements

If you replace letters in the names of elements, you can make
new words. For example, if I said "Element #2, change the last 3
letters to L, make a place of torment in the afterlife" -- that
would be HELIUM and HELL.

In each case, name *either* the element *or* the other word
so formed.

1. Element #92, change the last 3 letters to US, make the name of
a planet.

2. Element #22, change the last 2 letters to C, make the name of
the 1997 movie that won the Best Picture Oscar.

3. Element #8, remove the last 4 letters, make the name of an
animal.

4. Element #88, change the last 3 letters to ON, make element
number #86.

5. Squeezed in between those is element #87. Change the last 3
letters to E, make the name of a country.

6. Element #5, change the last 2 letters to AT, make the name of
a fictional journalist.

7. Element #67, change the last 3 letters to ES, make the last
name of a fictional character whose name has been mentioned in
this game already. (Hope you were listening.)

8. Element #18, change the last letter to S, make the nickname of
one of Toronto's professional sports teams.

9. Element #33, change the last 2 letters to AL, make the name of
a Premier League soccer team.

10. Element #79, change the last letter to F, make the name of a
sport played by approximately 5,000,000 Canadians last year.

--
Mark Brader | No programming language is Perfect. Perl comes very close.
m...@vex.net | P! e! r! *l?* :-( Not quite "Perfect".

Peter Smyth

Apr 17, 2016, 4:30:51 AM4/17/16
Mark Brader wrote:

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2015-11-16,

> Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of the Bloor St. Irregulars,
> and are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
> have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
> see my 2015-08-18 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 8, Round 7 - Entertainment - Male Entertainer or Mom's Female
> Friend?
>
> Some men have names that sound like they are female names. And some
> men are famous. Here are 10 questions about famous men from the
> world of entertainment who have names that could be female names.
> They sound like they could be my mother's female friends.
>
> Note: *First and last name* required in all cases.
>
> 1. This American actor was born in 1959 and starred as Batman in
> "Batman Forever", as Jim Morrison in "The Doors", and as Doc
> Holliday in "Tombstone".
Val Kilmer
> 2. This actor born in 1954 has starred in movies such as "Rush
> Hour", "Shanghai Knights", and "Around the World in 80 Days".
>
> 3. This singer was born Brian Warner in 1969 and found commercial
> success in 1996 with the album "Antichrist Superstar" and the
> single "The Beautiful People".
Marilyn Manson
> 4. This singer was born Vincent Furnier in 1948 and released his
> first solo album "Welcome to My Nightmare" in 1975.
Alice Cooper
> 5. This Englishman who lived 1906-76 directed movies such as
> "The Third Man" and "Oliver!"
>
> 6. This actor-director was born in 1956 and has directed movies
> such as "The Passion of the Christ" and "Apocalypto".
Mel Gibson
> 7. This Canadian-American actor lived 1926-2010 and starred in
> movies such as "The Poseidon Adventure" and "Airplane!"
Leslie Nielsen
> 8. This American musician played guitar in Fleetwood Mac, and
> wrote and performed "Holiday Road", the theme song to the movie
> "National Lampoon's Vacation".
Lindsey Buckingham
> 9. This American actor and comedian has done impressions of
> George Bush Sr. on "Saturday Night Live", and starred as Garth in
> "Wayne's World".
Dana Garvey
> 10. This American actor and comedian was also a cast member on
> "Saturday Night Live" before he moved to "30 Rock", and last year
> was involved in a fatal motor vehicle incident. Fortunately,
> he survived.
>

> * Game 8, Round 8 - Science - Replacing Letters of Elements
>
> If you replace letters in the names of elements, you can make
> new words. For example, if I said "Element #2, change the last 3
> letters to L, make a place of torment in the afterlife" -- that
> would be HELIUM and HELL.
>
> In each case, name either the element or the other word
> so formed.
>
> 1. Element #92, change the last 3 letters to US, make the name of
> a planet.
Uranium
> 2. Element #22, change the last 2 letters to C, make the name of
> the 1997 movie that won the Best Picture Oscar.
Titanium
> 3. Element #8, remove the last 4 letters, make the name of an
> animal.
Oxygen
> 4. Element #88, change the last 3 letters to ON, make element
> number #86.
Radium
> 5. Squeezed in between those is element #87. Change the last 3
> letters to E, make the name of a country.
Francium
> 6. Element #5, change the last 2 letters to AT, make the name of
> a fictional journalist.
Boron
> 7. Element #67, change the last 3 letters to ES, make the last
> name of a fictional character whose name has been mentioned in
> this game already. (Hope you were listening.)
>
> 8. Element #18, change the last letter to S, make the nickname of
> one of Toronto's professional sports teams.
Argon
> 9. Element #33, change the last 2 letters to AL, make the name of
> a Premier League soccer team.
Arsenic
> 10. Element #79, change the last letter to F, make the name of a
> sport played by approximately 5,000,000 Canadians last year.
Gold

Peter Smyth

Dan Tilque

Apr 17, 2016, 4:53:13 AM4/17/16
Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 8, Round 7 - Entertainment - Male Entertainer or Mom's Female Friend?
>
> Some men have names that sound like they are female names. And some
> men are famous. Here are 10 questions about famous men from the
> world of entertainment who have names that could be female names.
> They sound like they could be my mother's female friends.
>
> Note: *First and last name* required in all cases.
>
> 1. This American actor was born in 1959 and starred as Batman in
> "Batman Forever", as Jim Morrison in "The Doors", and as Doc
> Holliday in "Tombstone".
>
> 2. This actor born in 1954 has starred in movies such as "Rush
> Hour", "Shanghai Knights", and "Around the World in 80 Days".
>
> 3. This singer was born Brian Warner in 1969 and found commercial
> success in 1996 with the album "Antichrist Superstar" and the
> single "The Beautiful People".
>
> 4. This singer was born Vincent Furnier in 1948 and released his
> first solo album "Welcome to My Nightmare" in 1975.

Alice Cooper

> 5. This Englishman who lived 1906-76 directed movies such as
> "The Third Man" and "Oliver!"
>
> 6. This actor-director was born in 1956 and has directed movies
> such as "The Passion of the Christ" and "Apocalypto".
>
> 7. This Canadian-American actor lived 1926-2010 and starred in
> movies such as "The Poseidon Adventure" and "Airplane!"

Leslie Nielsen

> 8. This American musician played guitar in Fleetwood Mac, and
> wrote and performed "Holiday Road", the theme song to the movie
> "National Lampoon's Vacation".
>
> 9. This American actor and comedian has done impressions of
> George Bush Sr. on "Saturday Night Live", and starred as Garth in
> "Wayne's World".

Dana Carvey

> 10. This American actor and comedian was also a cast member on
> "Saturday Night Live" before he moved to "30 Rock", and last year
> was involved in a fatal motor vehicle incident. Fortunately,
> he survived.
>

> * Game 8, Round 8 - Science - Replacing Letters of Elements
>
> If you replace letters in the names of elements, you can make
> new words. For example, if I said "Element #2, change the last 3
> letters to L, make a place of torment in the afterlife" -- that
> would be HELIUM and HELL.
>
> In each case, name *either* the element *or* the other word
> so formed.
>
> 1. Element #92, change the last 3 letters to US, make the name of
> a planet.

uranium

> 2. Element #22, change the last 2 letters to C, make the name of
> the 1997 movie that won the Best Picture Oscar.

titanium

> 3. Element #8, remove the last 4 letters, make the name of an
> animal.

oxygen

> 4. Element #88, change the last 3 letters to ON, make element
> number #86.

radium

> 5. Squeezed in between those is element #87. Change the last 3
> letters to E, make the name of a country.

francium

> 6. Element #5, change the last 2 letters to AT, make the name of
> a fictional journalist.

boron

> 7. Element #67, change the last 3 letters to ES, make the last
> name of a fictional character whose name has been mentioned in
> this game already. (Hope you were listening.)
>
> 8. Element #18, change the last letter to S, make the nickname of
> one of Toronto's professional sports teams.

argon

> 9. Element #33, change the last 2 letters to AL, make the name of
> a Premier League soccer team.

arsenic

> 10. Element #79, change the last letter to F, make the name of a
> sport played by approximately 5,000,000 Canadians last year.

gold

--
Dan Tilque

Marc Dashevsky

Apr 17, 2016, 5:02:17 AM4/17/16
In article <mJOdnVUAbpmYho7K...@giganews.com>, m...@vex.net says...
> * Game 8, Round 7 - Entertainment - Male Entertainer or Mom's Female Friend?
>
> Some men have names that sound like they are female names. And some
> men are famous. Here are 10 questions about famous men from the
> world of entertainment who have names that could be female names.
> They sound like they could be my mother's female friends.
>
> Note: *First and last name* required in all cases.
>
> 1. This American actor was born in 1959 and starred as Batman in
> "Batman Forever", as Jim Morrison in "The Doors", and as Doc
> Holliday in "Tombstone".
Val Kilmer

> 2. This actor born in 1954 has starred in movies such as "Rush
> Hour", "Shanghai Knights", and "Around the World in 80 Days".
Jackie Chan

> 3. This singer was born Brian Warner in 1969 and found commercial
> success in 1996 with the album "Antichrist Superstar" and the
> single "The Beautiful People".
>
> 4. This singer was born Vincent Furnier in 1948 and released his
> first solo album "Welcome to My Nightmare" in 1975.
Alice Cooper

> 5. This Englishman who lived 1906-76 directed movies such as
> "The Third Man" and "Oliver!"
>
> 6. This actor-director was born in 1956 and has directed movies
> such as "The Passion of the Christ" and "Apocalypto".
Mel Gibson

> 7. This Canadian-American actor lived 1926-2010 and starred in
> movies such as "The Poseidon Adventure" and "Airplane!"
Leslie Nielsen

> 8. This American musician played guitar in Fleetwood Mac, and
> wrote and performed "Holiday Road", the theme song to the movie
> "National Lampoon's Vacation".
Lindsey Buckingham

> 9. This American actor and comedian has done impressions of
> George Bush Sr. on "Saturday Night Live", and starred as Garth in
> "Wayne's World".
Dana Carvey

> 10. This American actor and comedian was also a cast member on
> "Saturday Night Live" before he moved to "30 Rock", and last year
> was involved in a fatal motor vehicle incident. Fortunately,
> he survived.
>

> * Game 8, Round 8 - Science - Replacing Letters of Elements
>
> If you replace letters in the names of elements, you can make
> new words. For example, if I said "Element #2, change the last 3
> letters to L, make a place of torment in the afterlife" -- that
> would be HELIUM and HELL.
>
> In each case, name *either* the element *or* the other word
> so formed.
>
> 1. Element #92, change the last 3 letters to US, make the name of
> a planet.
uranium

> 2. Element #22, change the last 2 letters to C, make the name of
> the 1997 movie that won the Best Picture Oscar.
titanium

> 3. Element #8, remove the last 4 letters, make the name of an
> animal.
oxygen

> 4. Element #88, change the last 3 letters to ON, make element
> number #86.
radium

> 5. Squeezed in between those is element #87. Change the last 3
> letters to E, make the name of a country.
francium

> 6. Element #5, change the last 2 letters to AT, make the name of
> a fictional journalist.
boron

> 7. Element #67, change the last 3 letters to ES, make the last
> name of a fictional character whose name has been mentioned in
> this game already. (Hope you were listening.)
>
> 8. Element #18, change the last letter to S, make the nickname of
> one of Toronto's professional sports teams.
argon

> 9. Element #33, change the last 2 letters to AL, make the name of
> a Premier League soccer team.
>
> 10. Element #79, change the last letter to F, make the name of a
> sport played by approximately 5,000,000 Canadians last year.
gold

Erland Sommarskog

Apr 17, 2016, 5:13:50 AM4/17/16
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> * Game 8, Round 7 - Entertainment - Male Entertainer or Mom's Female
> Friend?
>
> 4. This singer was born Vincent Furnier in 1948 and released his
> first solo album "Welcome to My Nightmare" in 1975.

Alice Cooper

> 5. This Englishman who lived 1906-76 directed movies such as
> "The Third Man" and "Oliver!"

Orson Wells

> * Game 8, Round 8 - Science - Replacing Letters of Elements
>
> 1. Element #92, change the last 3 letters to US, make the name of
> a planet.

Uranium

> 2. Element #22, change the last 2 letters to C, make the name of
> the 1997 movie that won the Best Picture Oscar.

Titanium

> 3. Element #8, remove the last 4 letters, make the name of an
> animal.

Oxygen

> 4. Element #88, change the last 3 letters to ON, make element
> number #86.

Radium

> 5. Squeezed in between those is element #87. Change the last 3
> letters to E, make the name of a country.

Francium

> 6. Element #5, change the last 2 letters to AT, make the name of
> a fictional journalist.

Boron

> 7. Element #67, change the last 3 letters to ES, make the last
> name of a fictional character whose name has been mentioned in
> this game already. (Hope you were listening.)

No, I wasn't listening, and I don't really know all those lantanoids
exactly. Erbium?

> 8. Element #18, change the last letter to S, make the nickname of
> one of Toronto's professional sports teams.

Argon

> 9. Element #33, change the last 2 letters to AL, make the name of
> a Premier League soccer team.

Aresnic

> 10. Element #79, change the last letter to F, make the name of a
> sport played by approximately 5,000,000 Canadians last year.

Gold

swp

Apr 17, 2016, 10:25:43 AM4/17/16
On Sunday, April 17, 2016 at 1:11:34 AM UTC-4, Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2015-11-16,
> and should be interpreted accordingly.

noted. in some newsgroup readers, this first line is also shown in the preview pane. I write this so no one else will have to read an answer that I post and this disqualify themselves from that question or the round.

> * Game 8, Round 7 - Entertainment - Male Entertainer or Mom's Female Friend?
>
> Some men have names that sound like they are female names. And some
> men are famous. Here are 10 questions about famous men from the
> world of entertainment who have names that could be female names.
> They sound like they could be my mother's female friends.
>
> Note: *First and last name* required in all cases.
>
> 1. This American actor was born in 1959 and starred as Batman in
> "Batman Forever", as Jim Morrison in "The Doors", and as Doc
> Holliday in "Tombstone".

val kilmer

> 2. This actor born in 1954 has starred in movies such as "Rush
> Hour", "Shanghai Knights", and "Around the World in 80 Days".

jackie chan

> 3. This singer was born Brian Warner in 1969 and found commercial
> success in 1996 with the album "Antichrist Superstar" and the
> single "The Beautiful People".

marilyn manson

> 4. This singer was born Vincent Furnier in 1948 and released his
> first solo album "Welcome to My Nightmare" in 1975.

alice cooper

> 5. This Englishman who lived 1906-76 directed movies such as
> "The Third Man" and "Oliver!"

carol reed

> 6. This actor-director was born in 1956 and has directed movies
> such as "The Passion of the Christ" and "Apocalypto".

mel gibson

> 7. This Canadian-American actor lived 1926-2010 and starred in
> movies such as "The Poseidon Adventure" and "Airplane!"

leslie nielson

> 8. This American musician played guitar in Fleetwood Mac, and
> wrote and performed "Holiday Road", the theme song to the movie
> "National Lampoon's Vacation".

lindsey buckingham

> 9. This American actor and comedian has done impressions of
> George Bush Sr. on "Saturday Night Live", and starred as Garth in
> "Wayne's World".

dana carvey

> 10. This American actor and comedian was also a cast member on
> "Saturday Night Live" before he moved to "30 Rock", and last year
> was involved in a fatal motor vehicle incident. Fortunately,
> he survived.

tracy morgan (fortunately? they felt the need to qualify "he survived" with "fortunately"??)

> * Game 8, Round 8 - Science - Replacing Letters of Elements
>
> If you replace letters in the names of elements, you can make
> new words. For example, if I said "Element #2, change the last 3
> letters to L, make a place of torment in the afterlife" -- that
> would be HELIUM and HELL.
>
> In each case, name *either* the element *or* the other word
> so formed.
>
> 1. Element #92, change the last 3 letters to US, make the name of
> a planet.

uranium ; uranus

> 2. Element #22, change the last 2 letters to C, make the name of
> the 1997 movie that won the Best Picture Oscar.

titanium ; titanic

> 3. Element #8, remove the last 4 letters, make the name of an
> animal.

oxygen ; ox

> 4. Element #88, change the last 3 letters to ON, make element
> number #86.

radium ; radon

> 5. Squeezed in between those is element #87. Change the last 3
> letters to E, make the name of a country.

francium ; france

> 6. Element #5, change the last 2 letters to AT, make the name of
> a fictional journalist.

boron ; borat

> 7. Element #67, change the last 3 letters to ES, make the last
> name of a fictional character whose name has been mentioned in
> this game already. (Hope you were listening.)

holmium ; holmes

> 8. Element #18, change the last letter to S, make the nickname of
> one of Toronto's professional sports teams.

argon ; argos

> 9. Element #33, change the last 2 letters to AL, make the name of
> a Premier League soccer team.

arsenic ; arsenal

> 10. Element #79, change the last letter to F, make the name of a
> sport played by approximately 5,000,000 Canadians last year.

gold ; golf

swp

Joshua Kreitzer

Apr 17, 2016, 11:54:04 AM4/17/16
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in

> * Game 8, Round 7 - Entertainment - Male Entertainer or Mom's Female
> Friend?
>
> Some men have names that sound like they are female names. And some
> men are famous. Here are 10 questions about famous men from the
> world of entertainment who have names that could be female names.
> They sound like they could be my mother's female friends.
>
> Note: *First and last name* required in all cases.
>
> 1. This American actor was born in 1959 and starred as Batman in
> "Batman Forever", as Jim Morrison in "The Doors", and as Doc
> Holliday in "Tombstone".

Val Kilmer

> 2. This actor born in 1954 has starred in movies such as "Rush
> Hour", "Shanghai Knights", and "Around the World in 80 Days".

Jackie Chan

> 3. This singer was born Brian Warner in 1969 and found commercial
> success in 1996 with the album "Antichrist Superstar" and the
> single "The Beautiful People".

Marilyn Manson

> 4. This singer was born Vincent Furnier in 1948 and released his
> first solo album "Welcome to My Nightmare" in 1975.

Alice Cooper

> 5. This Englishman who lived 1906-76 directed movies such as
> "The Third Man" and "Oliver!"

Carol Reed

> 6. This actor-director was born in 1956 and has directed movies
> such as "The Passion of the Christ" and "Apocalypto".

Mel Gibson

> 7. This Canadian-American actor lived 1926-2010 and starred in
> movies such as "The Poseidon Adventure" and "Airplane!"

Leslie Nielsen

> 8. This American musician played guitar in Fleetwood Mac, and
> wrote and performed "Holiday Road", the theme song to the movie
> "National Lampoon's Vacation".

Lindsey Buckingham

> 9. This American actor and comedian has done impressions of
> George Bush Sr. on "Saturday Night Live", and starred as Garth in
> "Wayne's World".

Dana Carvey

> 10. This American actor and comedian was also a cast member on
> "Saturday Night Live" before he moved to "30 Rock", and last year
> was involved in a fatal motor vehicle incident. Fortunately,
> he survived.

Tracy Morgan

> * Game 8, Round 8 - Science - Replacing Letters of Elements
>
> If you replace letters in the names of elements, you can make
> new words. For example, if I said "Element #2, change the last 3
> letters to L, make a place of torment in the afterlife" -- that
> would be HELIUM and HELL.
>
> In each case, name *either* the element *or* the other word
> so formed.
>
> 1. Element #92, change the last 3 letters to US, make the name of
> a planet.

Uranus

> 2. Element #22, change the last 2 letters to C, make the name of
> the 1997 movie that won the Best Picture Oscar.

Titanic

> 3. Element #8, remove the last 4 letters, make the name of an
> animal.

Ox

> 5. Squeezed in between those is element #87. Change the last 3
> letters to E, make the name of a country.

France

> 6. Element #5, change the last 2 letters to AT, make the name of
> a fictional journalist.

Borat

> 8. Element #18, change the last letter to S, make the nickname of
> one of Toronto's professional sports teams.

Raptors; Blue Jays

> 9. Element #33, change the last 2 letters to AL, make the name of
> a Premier League soccer team.

Arsenal

> 10. Element #79, change the last letter to F, make the name of a
> sport played by approximately 5,000,000 Canadians last year.

Golf

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

Jason Kreitzer

Apr 17, 2016, 12:17:15 PM4/17/16
On Sunday, April 17, 2016 at 1:11:34 AM UTC-4, Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2015-11-16,

> Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of the Bloor St. Irregulars,
> and are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
> have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
> see my 2015-08-18 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 8, Round 7 - Entertainment - Male Entertainer or Mom's Female Friend?
>
> Some men have names that sound like they are female names. And some
> men are famous. Here are 10 questions about famous men from the
> world of entertainment who have names that could be female names.
> They sound like they could be my mother's female friends.
>
> Note: *First and last name* required in all cases.
>
> 1. This American actor was born in 1959 and starred as Batman in
> "Batman Forever", as Jim Morrison in "The Doors", and as Doc
> Holliday in "Tombstone".
Val Kilmer
> 2. This actor born in 1954 has starred in movies such as "Rush
> Hour", "Shanghai Knights", and "Around the World in 80 Days".
Jackie Chan
> 3. This singer was born Brian Warner in 1969 and found commercial
> success in 1996 with the album "Antichrist Superstar" and the
> single "The Beautiful People".
Marilyn Manson
> 4. This singer was born Vincent Furnier in 1948 and released his
> first solo album "Welcome to My Nightmare" in 1975.
Alice Cooper
> 5. This Englishman who lived 1906-76 directed movies such as
> "The Third Man" and "Oliver!"
>
> 6. This actor-director was born in 1956 and has directed movies
> such as "The Passion of the Christ" and "Apocalypto".
Mel Gibson
> 7. This Canadian-American actor lived 1926-2010 and starred in
> movies such as "The Poseidon Adventure" and "Airplane!"
Leslie Nielsen
> 8. This American musician played guitar in Fleetwood Mac, and
> wrote and performed "Holiday Road", the theme song to the movie
> "National Lampoon's Vacation".
Lindsey Buckingham
> 9. This American actor and comedian has done impressions of
> George Bush Sr. on "Saturday Night Live", and starred as Garth in
> "Wayne's World".
Dana Carvey
> 10. This American actor and comedian was also a cast member on
> "Saturday Night Live" before he moved to "30 Rock", and last year
> was involved in a fatal motor vehicle incident. Fortunately,
> he survived.
Tracy Morgan

> * Game 8, Round 8 - Science - Replacing Letters of Elements
>
> If you replace letters in the names of elements, you can make
> new words. For example, if I said "Element #2, change the last 3
> letters to L, make a place of torment in the afterlife" -- that
> would be HELIUM and HELL.
>
> In each case, name *either* the element *or* the other word
> so formed.
>
> 1. Element #92, change the last 3 letters to US, make the name of
> a planet.
Uranium
> 2. Element #22, change the last 2 letters to C, make the name of
> the 1997 movie that won the Best Picture Oscar.
Titanium
> 3. Element #8, remove the last 4 letters, make the name of an
> animal.
>
> 4. Element #88, change the last 3 letters to ON, make element
> number #86.
>
> 5. Squeezed in between those is element #87. Change the last 3
> letters to E, make the name of a country.
>
> 6. Element #5, change the last 2 letters to AT, make the name of
> a fictional journalist.
>
> 7. Element #67, change the last 3 letters to ES, make the last
> name of a fictional character whose name has been mentioned in
> this game already. (Hope you were listening.)
>
> 8. Element #18, change the last letter to S, make the nickname of
> one of Toronto's professional sports teams.
>
> 9. Element #33, change the last 2 letters to AL, make the name of
> a Premier League soccer team.
>
> 10. Element #79, change the last letter to F, make the name of a
> sport played by approximately 5,000,000 Canadians last year.
Gold

Björn Lundin

Apr 17, 2016, 2:36:58 PM4/17/16
On 2016-04-17 07:11, Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2015-11-16,

> Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of the Bloor St. Irregulars,
> and are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
> have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
> see my 2015-08-18 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 8, Round 7 - Entertainment - Male Entertainer or Mom's Female Friend?
>
> Some men have names that sound like they are female names. And some
> men are famous. Here are 10 questions about famous men from the
> world of entertainment who have names that could be female names.
> They sound like they could be my mother's female friends.
>
> Note: *First and last name* required in all cases.
>
> 1. This American actor was born in 1959 and starred as Batman in
> "Batman Forever", as Jim Morrison in "The Doors", and as Doc
> Holliday in "Tombstone".

Val Kilmer

> 2. This actor born in 1954 has starred in movies such as "Rush
> Hour", "Shanghai Knights", and "Around the World in 80 Days".

Jackie Chan

> 3. This singer was born Brian Warner in 1969 and found commercial
> success in 1996 with the album "Antichrist Superstar" and the
> single "The Beautiful People".
>
> 4. This singer was born Vincent Furnier in 1948 and released his
> first solo album "Welcome to My Nightmare" in 1975.

Alice Cooper

> 5. This Englishman who lived 1906-76 directed movies such as
> "The Third Man" and "Oliver!"
>
> 6. This actor-director was born in 1956 and has directed movies
> such as "The Passion of the Christ" and "Apocalypto".

Mel Gibson

> 7. This Canadian-American actor lived 1926-2010 and starred in
> movies such as "The Poseidon Adventure" and "Airplane!"
>
> 8. This American musician played guitar in Fleetwood Mac, and
> wrote and performed "Holiday Road", the theme song to the movie
> "National Lampoon's Vacation".

Hmm, Stevie Nicks? But guitar player - no.

> 9. This American actor and comedian has done impressions of
> George Bush Sr. on "Saturday Night Live", and starred as Garth in
> "Wayne's World".
>
> 10. This American actor and comedian was also a cast member on
> "Saturday Night Live" before he moved to "30 Rock", and last year
> was involved in a fatal motor vehicle incident. Fortunately,
> he survived.
>

> * Game 8, Round 8 - Science - Replacing Letters of Elements
>
> If you replace letters in the names of elements, you can make
> new words. For example, if I said "Element #2, change the last 3
> letters to L, make a place of torment in the afterlife" -- that
> would be HELIUM and HELL.
>
> In each case, name *either* the element *or* the other word
> so formed.
>
> 1. Element #92, change the last 3 letters to US, make the name of
> a planet.

Uranus

> 2. Element #22, change the last 2 letters to C, make the name of
> the 1997 movie that won the Best Picture Oscar.

Titanic?

> 3. Element #8, remove the last 4 letters, make the name of an
> animal.
>
> 4. Element #88, change the last 3 letters to ON, make element
> number #86.
>
> 5. Squeezed in between those is element #87. Change the last 3
> letters to E, make the name of a country.
>
> 6. Element #5, change the last 2 letters to AT, make the name of
> a fictional journalist.
>
> 7. Element #67, change the last 3 letters to ES, make the last
> name of a fictional character whose name has been mentioned in
> this game already. (Hope you were listening.)
>
> 8. Element #18, change the last letter to S, make the nickname of
> one of Toronto's professional sports teams.
>
> 9. Element #33, change the last 2 letters to AL, make the name of
> a Premier League soccer team.

Arsenal

> 10. Element #79, change the last letter to F, make the name of a
> sport played by approximately 5,000,000 Canadians last year.

Golf

Björn

Calvin

Apr 17, 2016, 11:35:31 PM4/17/16
On Sunday, April 17, 2016 at 3:11:34 PM UTC+10, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 8, Round 7 - Entertainment - Male Entertainer or Mom's Female Friend?
>
> Some men have names that sound like they are female names. And some
> men are famous. Here are 10 questions about famous men from the
> world of entertainment who have names that could be female names.
> They sound like they could be my mother's female friends.
>
> Note: *First and last name* required in all cases.
>
> 1. This American actor was born in 1959 and starred as Batman in
> "Batman Forever", as Jim Morrison in "The Doors", and as Doc
> Holliday in "Tombstone".

Val Kilmer

> 2. This actor born in 1954 has starred in movies such as "Rush
> Hour", "Shanghai Knights", and "Around the World in 80 Days".

Jackie Chan

> 3. This singer was born Brian Warner in 1969 and found commercial
> success in 1996 with the album "Antichrist Superstar" and the
> single "The Beautiful People".
>
> 4. This singer was born Vincent Furnier in 1948 and released his
> first solo album "Welcome to My Nightmare" in 1975.

Alice Cooper

> 5. This Englishman who lived 1906-76 directed movies such as
> "The Third Man" and "Oliver!"
>
> 6. This actor-director was born in 1956 and has directed movies
> such as "The Passion of the Christ" and "Apocalypto".

Mel Gibson

> 7. This Canadian-American actor lived 1926-2010 and starred in
> movies such as "The Poseidon Adventure" and "Airplane!"

Lesley Nielsen

> 8. This American musician played guitar in Fleetwood Mac, and
> wrote and performed "Holiday Road", the theme song to the movie
> "National Lampoon's Vacation".
>
> 9. This American actor and comedian has done impressions of
> George Bush Sr. on "Saturday Night Live", and starred as Garth in
> "Wayne's World".

Dana Carvey

> 10. This American actor and comedian was also a cast member on
> "Saturday Night Live" before he moved to "30 Rock", and last year
> was involved in a fatal motor vehicle incident. Fortunately,
> he survived.
>

> * Game 8, Round 8 - Science - Replacing Letters of Elements
>
> If you replace letters in the names of elements, you can make
> new words. For example, if I said "Element #2, change the last 3
> letters to L, make a place of torment in the afterlife" -- that
> would be HELIUM and HELL.
>
> In each case, name *either* the element *or* the other word
> so formed.
>
> 1. Element #92, change the last 3 letters to US, make the name of
> a planet.

Uranium

> 2. Element #22, change the last 2 letters to C, make the name of
> the 1997 movie that won the Best Picture Oscar.

Silicon

> 3. Element #8, remove the last 4 letters, make the name of an
> animal.

Ox

> 4. Element #88, change the last 3 letters to ON, make element
> number #86.

Xenon

> 5. Squeezed in between those is element #87. Change the last 3
> letters to E, make the name of a country.

France

> 6. Element #5, change the last 2 letters to AT, make the name of
> a fictional journalist.

Boron

> 7. Element #67, change the last 3 letters to ES, make the last
> name of a fictional character whose name has been mentioned in
> this game already. (Hope you were listening.)
>
> 8. Element #18, change the last letter to S, make the nickname of
> one of Toronto's professional sports teams.

Argon

> 9. Element #33, change the last 2 letters to AL, make the name of
> a Premier League soccer team.

Arsenic

> 10. Element #79, change the last letter to F, make the name of a
> sport played by approximately 5,000,000 Canadians last year.

Gold

cheers,
calvin

Pete

Apr 18, 2016, 12:25:05 PM4/18/16
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2015-11-16,

> Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of the Bloor St. Irregulars,
> and are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
> have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
> see my 2015-08-18 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 8, Round 7 - Entertainment - Male Entertainer or Mom's Female
> Friend?
>
> Some men have names that sound like they are female names. And some
> men are famous. Here are 10 questions about famous men from the
> world of entertainment who have names that could be female names.
> They sound like they could be my mother's female friends.
>
> Note: *First and last name* required in all cases.
>
> 1. This American actor was born in 1959 and starred as Batman in
> "Batman Forever", as Jim Morrison in "The Doors", and as Doc
> Holliday in "Tombstone".

Christian Bale

> 2. This actor born in 1954 has starred in movies such as "Rush
> Hour", "Shanghai Knights", and "Around the World in 80 Days".

Jackie Chan

> 3. This singer was born Brian Warner in 1969 and found commercial
> success in 1996 with the album "Antichrist Superstar" and the
> single "The Beautiful People".
>
> 4. This singer was born Vincent Furnier in 1948 and released his
> first solo album "Welcome to My Nightmare" in 1975.

Alice Cooper

> 5. This Englishman who lived 1906-76 directed movies such as
> "The Third Man" and "Oliver!"
>
> 6. This actor-director was born in 1956 and has directed movies
> such as "The Passion of the Christ" and "Apocalypto".

Mel Gibson

> 7. This Canadian-American actor lived 1926-2010 and starred in
> movies such as "The Poseidon Adventure" and "Airplane!"

Leslie Nielsen

> 8. This American musician played guitar in Fleetwood Mac, and
> wrote and performed "Holiday Road", the theme song to the movie
> "National Lampoon's Vacation".

Lindsay Buckingham

> 9. This American actor and comedian has done impressions of
> George Bush Sr. on "Saturday Night Live", and starred as Garth in
> "Wayne's World".

Dana Carvey

> 10. This American actor and comedian was also a cast member on
> "Saturday Night Live" before he moved to "30 Rock", and last year
> was involved in a fatal motor vehicle incident. Fortunately,
> he survived.

Tracy Morgan

> * Game 8, Round 8 - Science - Replacing Letters of Elements
>
> If you replace letters in the names of elements, you can make
> new words. For example, if I said "Element #2, change the last 3
> letters to L, make a place of torment in the afterlife" -- that
> would be HELIUM and HELL.
>
> In each case, name *either* the element *or* the other word
> so formed.
>
> 1. Element #92, change the last 3 letters to US, make the name of
> a planet.

Uranus

> 2. Element #22, change the last 2 letters to C, make the name of
> the 1997 movie that won the Best Picture Oscar.

Titanic

> 3. Element #8, remove the last 4 letters, make the name of an
> animal.
>
> 4. Element #88, change the last 3 letters to ON, make element
> number #86.
>
> 5. Squeezed in between those is element #87. Change the last 3
> letters to E, make the name of a country.

France

> 6. Element #5, change the last 2 letters to AT, make the name of
> a fictional journalist.
>
> 7. Element #67, change the last 3 letters to ES, make the last
> name of a fictional character whose name has been mentioned in
> this game already. (Hope you were listening.)
>
> 8. Element #18, change the last letter to S, make the nickname of
> one of Toronto's professional sports teams.

Argon

> 9. Element #33, change the last 2 letters to AL, make the name of
> a Premier League soccer team.

Arsenal

> 10. Element #79, change the last letter to F, make the name of a
> sport played by approximately 5,000,000 Canadians last year.

Pete Gayde

Dan Blum

Apr 18, 2016, 10:30:39 PM4/18/16
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 8, Round 7 - Entertainment - Male Entertainer or Mom's Female Friend?

> 1. This American actor was born in 1959 and starred as Batman in
> "Batman Forever", as Jim Morrison in "The Doors", and as Doc
> Holliday in "Tombstone".

Val Kilmer

> 2. This actor born in 1954 has starred in movies such as "Rush
> Hour", "Shanghai Knights", and "Around the World in 80 Days".

Jackie Chan

> 4. This singer was born Vincent Furnier in 1948 and released his
> first solo album "Welcome to My Nightmare" in 1975.

Alice Cooper

> 6. This actor-director was born in 1956 and has directed movies
> such as "The Passion of the Christ" and "Apocalypto".

Mel Gibson

> 7. This Canadian-American actor lived 1926-2010 and starred in
> movies such as "The Poseidon Adventure" and "Airplane!"

Leslie Nielsen

> 8. This American musician played guitar in Fleetwood Mac, and
> wrote and performed "Holiday Road", the theme song to the movie
> "National Lampoon's Vacation".

Lindsey Buckingham

> 9. This American actor and comedian has done impressions of
> George Bush Sr. on "Saturday Night Live", and starred as Garth in
> "Wayne's World".

Dana Carvey

> 10. This American actor and comedian was also a cast member on
> "Saturday Night Live" before he moved to "30 Rock", and last year
> was involved in a fatal motor vehicle incident. Fortunately,
> he survived.

Tracy Jordan

> * Game 8, Round 8 - Science - Replacing Letters of Elements

> 1. Element #92, change the last 3 letters to US, make the name of
> a planet.

uranium

> 2. Element #22, change the last 2 letters to C, make the name of
> the 1997 movie that won the Best Picture Oscar.

titanium

> 3. Element #8, remove the last 4 letters, make the name of an
> animal.

oxygen

> 4. Element #88, change the last 3 letters to ON, make element
> number #86.

radium

> 5. Squeezed in between those is element #87. Change the last 3
> letters to E, make the name of a country.

francium

> 6. Element #5, change the last 2 letters to AT, make the name of
> a fictional journalist.

boron

> 8. Element #18, change the last letter to S, make the nickname of
> one of Toronto's professional sports teams.

argon

> 9. Element #33, change the last 2 letters to AL, make the name of
> a Premier League soccer team.

arsenic

> 10. Element #79, change the last letter to F, make the name of a
> sport played by approximately 5,000,000 Canadians last year.

gold

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Mark Brader

Apr 20, 2016, 12:24:17 AM4/20/16
Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2015-11-16,
> see my 2015-08-18 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

> * Game 8, Round 7 - Entertainment - Male Entertainer or Mom's Female Friend?

> Some men have names that sound like they are female names. And some
> men are famous. Here are 10 questions about famous men from the
> world of entertainment who have names that could be female names.
> They sound like they could be my mother's female friends.

> Note: *First and last name* required in all cases.

> 1. This American actor was born in 1959 and starred as Batman in
> "Batman Forever", as Jim Morrison in "The Doors", and as Doc
> Holliday in "Tombstone".

Val Kilmer. 4 for Peter, Marc, Stephen, Joshua, Jason, Björn,
Calvin, and Dan Blum.

> 2. This actor born in 1954 has starred in movies such as "Rush
> Hour", "Shanghai Knights", and "Around the World in 80 Days".

Jackie Chan. 4 for Marc, Stephen, Joshua, Jason, Björn, Calvin,
Pete, and Dan Blum.

> 3. This singer was born Brian Warner in 1969 and found commercial
> success in 1996 with the album "Antichrist Superstar" and the
> single "The Beautiful People".

Marilyn Manson. 4 for Peter, Stephen, Joshua, and Jason.

> 4. This singer was born Vincent Furnier in 1948 and released his
> first solo album "Welcome to My Nightmare" in 1975.

Alice Cooper. 4 for everyone -- Peter, Dan Tilque, Marc, Erland,
Stephen, Joshua, Jason, Björn, Calvin, Pete, and Dan Blum.

> 5. This Englishman who lived 1906-76 directed movies such as
> "The Third Man" and "Oliver!"

Sir Carol Reed. 4 for Stephen and Joshua.

> 6. This actor-director was born in 1956 and has directed movies
> such as "The Passion of the Christ" and "Apocalypto".

Mel Gibson. 4 for Peter, Marc, Stephen, Joshua, Jason, Björn,
Calvin, Pete, and Dan Blum.

> 7. This Canadian-American actor lived 1926-2010 and starred in
> movies such as "The Poseidon Adventure" and "Airplane!"

Leslie Nielsen. 4 for Peter, Dan Tilque, Marc, Stephen, Joshua,
Jason, Calvin, Pete, and Dan Blum.

> 8. This American musician played guitar in Fleetwood Mac, and
> wrote and performed "Holiday Road", the theme song to the movie
> "National Lampoon's Vacation".

Lindsey Buckingham. 4 for Peter, Marc, Stephen, Joshua, Jason,
Pete, and Dan Blum.

> 9. This American actor and comedian has done impressions of
> George Bush Sr. on "Saturday Night Live", and starred as Garth in
> "Wayne's World".

Dana Carvey. 4 for Peter, Dan Tilque, Marc, Stephen, Joshua, Jason,
Calvin, Pete, and Dan Blum.

> 10. This American actor and comedian was also a cast member on
> "Saturday Night Live" before he moved to "30 Rock", and last year
> was involved in a fatal motor vehicle incident. Fortunately,
> he survived.

Tracy Morgan. (Not Tracy Jordan -- that's his character on
"30 Rock".) 4 for Stephen, Joshua, Jason, and Pete.

> * Game 8, Round 8 - Science - Replacing Letters of Elements

> If you replace letters in the names of elements, you can make
> new words. For example, if I said "Element #2, change the last 3
> letters to L, make a place of torment in the afterlife" -- that
> would be HELIUM and HELL.

> In each case, name *either* the element *or* the other word
> so formed.

> 1. Element #92, change the last 3 letters to US, make the name of
> a planet.

Uranium, Uranus. 4 for Peter, Dan Tilque, Marc, Erland, Stephen
(the hard way), Joshua, Jason, Björn, Calvin, Pete, and Dan Blum.

> 2. Element #22, change the last 2 letters to C, make the name of
> the 1997 movie that won the Best Picture Oscar.

Titanium, "Titanic". 4 for Peter, Dan Tilque, Marc, Erland, Stephen
(the hard way), Joshua, Jason, Björn, Pete, and Dan Blum.

> 3. Element #8, remove the last 4 letters, make the name of an
> animal.

Oxygen, ox. 4 for Peter, Dan Tilque, Marc, Erland, Stephen (the
hard way), Joshua, Calvin, and Dan Blum.

> 4. Element #88, change the last 3 letters to ON, make element
> number #86.

Radium, radon. 4 for Peter, Dan Tilque, Marc, Erland, Stephen
(the hard way), and Dan Blum.

This is exactly what happens when a radium atom undergoes radioactive
decay, emitting an alpha particle to drop two atomic numbers.

> 5. Squeezed in between those is element #87. Change the last 3
> letters to E, make the name of a country.

Francium, France. 4 for Peter, Dan Tilque, Marc, Erland, Stephen
(the hard way), Joshua, Calvin, Pete, and Dan Blum.

> 6. Element #5, change the last 2 letters to AT, make the name of
> a fictional journalist.

Boron, Borat. 4 for Peter, Dan Tilque, Marc, Erland, Stephen (the
hard way), Joshua, Calvin, and Dan Blum.

> 7. Element #67, change the last 3 letters to ES, make the last
> name of a fictional character whose name has been mentioned in
> this game already. (Hope you were listening.)

Holmium, Holmes (in the preamble to Round 2). 4 for Stephen (the
hard way).

> 8. Element #18, change the last letter to S, make the nickname of
> one of Toronto's professional sports teams.

Argon, Argos. 4 for Peter, Dan Tilque, Marc, Erland, Stephen (the
hard way), Calvin, Pete, and Dan Blum.

> 9. Element #33, change the last 2 letters to AL, make the name of
> a Premier League soccer team.

Arsenic, Arsenal. 4 for Peter, Dan Tilque, Erland, Stephen (the
hard way), Joshua, Björn, Calvin, Pete, and Dan Blum.

> 10. Element #79, change the last letter to F, make the name of a
> sport played by approximately 5,000,000 Canadians last year.

Gold, golf. 4 for Peter, Dan Tilque, Marc, Erland, Stephen (the
hard way), Joshua, Jason, Björn, Calvin, and Dan Blum.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 8 ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 BEST
TOPICS-> Mis Art Spo Aud Geo Ent Sci FIVE
Stephen Perry 39 28 36 40 36 40 40 195
Joshua Kreitzer 26 10 28 24 40 40 28 162
Marc Dashevsky 16 0 22 20 40 28 32 142
Peter Smyth 16 0 28 4 28 28 36 136
"Calvin" 19 0 22 6 39 24 28 132
Pete Gayde 20 0 16 8 28 28 20 112
Dan Tilque 12 10 12 8 40 12 36 112
Erland Sommarskog 4 8 12 0 36 4 36 96
Jason Kreitzer 12 12 4 19 8 36 12 91
Björn Lundin 11 0 11 0 24 16 16 78
Dan Blum -- -- -- -- -- 28 36 64

--
Mark Brader, Toronto "Why do they do that?"
m...@vex.net "Because they can."