QFTCI16 Current Events 10

Mark Brader

Jul 27, 2016, 11:59:30 PM7/27/16
These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2016-07-25,
and should be interpreted accordingly. If any answers have changed
due to newer news, you are still expected to give the answers that
were correct on that date.

Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
the questions and place your answer below each one.) I will
reveal the correct answers in about 3 days. The current-events
round from the Final will follow in about 2 weeks, completing the
current-events game for this season.

All questions were written by members of the Usual Suspects and
are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
see my 2016-05-31 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

* Game 10 (2016-07-25), Round 1 -- Current Events

1. Canada gained a UNESCO World Heritage Site last week, so
designated because of its collection of fossils, some in excess
of 500,000,000 years old. In which province is it located?

2. Last week 26-year-old model and social media celebrity Qandeel
["KAN-deal"] Baloch was murdered, apparently strangled by
her own brother in a so-called honour killing because of her
provocative online persona. In what country did this occur?

3. Many qualities win competitions: talent, perseverance, and luck
among them, but what did Will Power win last Sunday? -- Yeah,
Will Power is the dude's name. Tell us what he won.

4. What form of payment did the three Wal-Mart stores in Thunder
Bay stop accepting last week, with a threat from the company
to extend the ban country-wide? Be specific.

5. If there's one thing we hate here at Trivia Central, it's drunk
people trying to fly airplanes. Two pilots from which airline
were arrested last week in Glasgow on suspicion of being
intoxicated, just before their flight was set to take off?

6. Following the coup attempt the previous week, the Turkish
government last week carried out a purge of supposed followers
of what Muslim cleric, who it is also demanding be extradited
from the US?

7. Who is the well-known writer, film director, and TV producer,
among his other talents, who died last week at age 81?

8. Name the Canadian scientist, metallurgist, anti-nuclear activist,
author, and educator who died last Friday at age 94.

9. He's only just turned 3, but Prince George is already causing
grief for his parents after pictures of him doing *what* were
released last week? (In response, of course. the Twitter-verse
did what it does.) Be specific.

10. Last week it was Hillary Clinton's turn to name a vice-
presidential minion -- er, running mate. Who did she pick?

--
Mark Brader, Toronto "Logic is logic. That's all I say."
m...@vex.net -- Oliver Wendell Holmes

Joshua Kreitzer

Jul 28, 2016, 1:12:03 AM7/28/16
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:O9CdnRBj2MiBHgTKnZ2dnUU7-
QvN...@giganews.com:

> * Game 10 (2016-07-25), Round 1 -- Current Events
>
> 2. Last week 26-year-old model and social media celebrity Qandeel
> ["KAN-deal"] Baloch was murdered, apparently strangled by
> her own brother in a so-called honour killing because of her
> provocative online persona. In what country did this occur?

Pakistan

> 3. Many qualities win competitions: talent, perseverance, and luck
> among them, but what did Will Power win last Sunday? -- Yeah,
> Will Power is the dude's name. Tell us what he won.

an auto race; Coca-Cola 600 (?)

> 7. Who is the well-known writer, film director, and TV producer,
> among his other talents, who died last week at age 81?

Marshall

> 10. Last week it was Hillary Clinton's turn to name a vice-
> presidential minion -- er, running mate. Who did she pick?

Tim Kaine

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

Erland Sommarskog

Jul 28, 2016, 4:00:13 AM7/28/16
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> 2. Last week 26-year-old model and social media celebrity Qandeel
> ["KAN-deal"] Baloch was murdered, apparently strangled by
> her own brother in a so-called honour killing because of her
> provocative online persona. In what country did this occur?

Pakistan

> 6. Following the coup attempt the previous week, the Turkish
> government last week carried out a purge of supposed followers
> of what Muslim cleric, who it is also demanding be extradited
> from the US?

Gülen

> 10. Last week it was Hillary Clinton's turn to name a vice-
> presidential minion -- er, running mate. Who did she pick?

So what was the exact name now? Tim K....lein?

Dan Blum

Jul 28, 2016, 8:41:42 AM7/28/16
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 10 (2016-07-25), Round 1 -- Current Events

> 1. Canada gained a UNESCO World Heritage Site last week, so
> designated because of its collection of fossils, some in excess
> of 500,000,000 years old. In which province is it located?

Alberta; Manitoba

I assume it's the Burgess Shale, but I don't remember where that is.

> 2. Last week 26-year-old model and social media celebrity Qandeel
> ["KAN-deal"] Baloch was murdered, apparently strangled by
> her own brother in a so-called honour killing because of her
> provocative online persona. In what country did this occur?

Pakistan

> 4. What form of payment did the three Wal-Mart stores in Thunder
> Bay stop accepting last week, with a threat from the company
> to extend the ban country-wide? Be specific.

personal checks; beaver pelts

> 5. If there's one thing we hate here at Trivia Central, it's drunk
> people trying to fly airplanes. Two pilots from which airline
> were arrested last week in Glasgow on suspicion of being
> intoxicated, just before their flight was set to take off?

Ryanair; British Air

> 6. Following the coup attempt the previous week, the Turkish
> government last week carried out a purge of supposed followers
> of what Muslim cleric, who it is also demanding be extradited
> from the US?

Gulen

> 7. Who is the well-known writer, film director, and TV producer,
> among his other talents, who died last week at age 81?

Garry Marshall

> 10. Last week it was Hillary Clinton's turn to name a vice-
> presidential minion -- er, running mate. Who did she pick?

Tim Kaine

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Peter Smyth

Jul 28, 2016, 1:28:49 PM7/28/16
Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 10 (2016-07-25), Round 1 -- Current Events
>
> 1. Canada gained a UNESCO World Heritage Site last week, so
> designated because of its collection of fossils, some in excess
> of 500,000,000 years old. In which province is it located?
Alberta, British Columbia
> 2. Last week 26-year-old model and social media celebrity Qandeel
> ["KAN-deal"] Baloch was murdered, apparently strangled by
> her own brother in a so-called honour killing because of her
> provocative online persona. In what country did this occur?
Pakistan
> 3. Many qualities win competitions: talent, perseverance, and luck
> among them, but what did Will Power win last Sunday? -- Yeah,
> Will Power is the dude's name. Tell us what he won.
Indy 500
> 4. What form of payment did the three Wal-Mart stores in Thunder
> Bay stop accepting last week, with a threat from the company
> to extend the ban country-wide? Be specific.
American Express
> 5. If there's one thing we hate here at Trivia Central, it's drunk
> people trying to fly airplanes. Two pilots from which airline
> were arrested last week in Glasgow on suspicion of being
> intoxicated, just before their flight was set to take off?
Ryanair
> 6. Following the coup attempt the previous week, the Turkish
> government last week carried out a purge of supposed followers
> of what Muslim cleric, who it is also demanding be extradited
> from the US?
>
> 7. Who is the well-known writer, film director, and TV producer,
> among his other talents, who died last week at age 81?
>
> 8. Name the Canadian scientist, metallurgist, anti-nuclear activist,
> author, and educator who died last Friday at age 94.
>
> 9. He's only just turned 3, but Prince George is already causing
> grief for his parents after pictures of him doing what were
> released last week? (In response, of course. the Twitter-verse
> did what it does.) Be specific.
Feeding icecream to a dog
> 10. Last week it was Hillary Clinton's turn to name a vice-
> presidential minion -- er, running mate. Who did she pick?
Tim Kaine

Peter Smyth

Marc Dashevsky

Jul 28, 2016, 4:40:00 PM7/28/16
In article <O9CdnRBj2MiBHgTK...@giganews.com>, m...@vex.net says...
> * Game 10 (2016-07-25), Round 1 -- Current Events
>
> 1. Canada gained a UNESCO World Heritage Site last week, so
> designated because of its collection of fossils, some in excess
> of 500,000,000 years old. In which province is it located?
Saskatchewan

> 2. Last week 26-year-old model and social media celebrity Qandeel
> ["KAN-deal"] Baloch was murdered, apparently strangled by
> her own brother in a so-called honour killing because of her
> provocative online persona. In what country did this occur?
Pakistan

> 3. Many qualities win competitions: talent, perseverance, and luck
> among them, but what did Will Power win last Sunday? -- Yeah,
> Will Power is the dude's name. Tell us what he won.
a golf championship

> 4. What form of payment did the three Wal-Mart stores in Thunder
> Bay stop accepting last week, with a threat from the company
> to extend the ban country-wide? Be specific.
>
> 5. If there's one thing we hate here at Trivia Central, it's drunk
> people trying to fly airplanes. Two pilots from which airline
> were arrested last week in Glasgow on suspicion of being
> intoxicated, just before their flight was set to take off?
>
> 6. Following the coup attempt the previous week, the Turkish
> government last week carried out a purge of supposed followers
> of what Muslim cleric, who it is also demanding be extradited
> from the US?
>
> 7. Who is the well-known writer, film director, and TV producer,
> among his other talents, who died last week at age 81?
Garry Marshall

> 8. Name the Canadian scientist, metallurgist, anti-nuclear activist,
> author, and educator who died last Friday at age 94.
>
> 9. He's only just turned 3, but Prince George is already causing
> grief for his parents after pictures of him doing *what* were
> released last week? (In response, of course. the Twitter-verse
> did what it does.) Be specific.
>
> 10. Last week it was Hillary Clinton's turn to name a vice-
> presidential minion -- er, running mate. Who did she pick?
Tim Kaine

Jason Kreitzer

Jul 28, 2016, 5:36:43 PM7/28/16
Garry Marshall
> 8. Name the Canadian scientist, metallurgist, anti-nuclear activist,
> author, and educator who died last Friday at age 94.
>
> 9. He's only just turned 3, but Prince George is already causing
> grief for his parents after pictures of him doing *what* were
> released last week? (In response, of course. the Twitter-verse
> did what it does.) Be specific.
>
> 10. Last week it was Hillary Clinton's turn to name a vice-
> presidential minion -- er, running mate. Who did she pick?
Tim Kaine

Dan Tilque

Jul 28, 2016, 7:05:09 PM7/28/16
Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 10 (2016-07-25), Round 1 -- Current Events
>
> 1. Canada gained a UNESCO World Heritage Site last week, so
> designated because of its collection of fossils, some in excess
> of 500,000,000 years old. In which province is it located?

British Columbia

> 2. Last week 26-year-old model and social media celebrity Qandeel
> ["KAN-deal"] Baloch was murdered, apparently strangled by
> her own brother in a so-called honour killing because of her
> provocative online persona. In what country did this occur?

India

> 3. Many qualities win competitions: talent, perseverance, and luck
> among them, but what did Will Power win last Sunday? -- Yeah,
> Will Power is the dude's name. Tell us what he won.
>
> 4. What form of payment did the three Wal-Mart stores in Thunder
> Bay stop accepting last week, with a threat from the company
> to extend the ban country-wide? Be specific.

public assistance (the Canadian equivalent of food stamps, whatever
that's called)

> 5. If there's one thing we hate here at Trivia Central, it's drunk
> people trying to fly airplanes. Two pilots from which airline
> were arrested last week in Glasgow on suspicion of being
> intoxicated, just before their flight was set to take off?
>
> 6. Following the coup attempt the previous week, the Turkish
> government last week carried out a purge of supposed followers
> of what Muslim cleric, who it is also demanding be extradited
> from the US?
>
> 7. Who is the well-known writer, film director, and TV producer,
> among his other talents, who died last week at age 81?
>
> 8. Name the Canadian scientist, metallurgist, anti-nuclear activist,
> author, and educator who died last Friday at age 94.
>
> 9. He's only just turned 3, but Prince George is already causing
> grief for his parents after pictures of him doing *what* were
> released last week? (In response, of course. the Twitter-verse
> did what it does.) Be specific.
>
> 10. Last week it was Hillary Clinton's turn to name a vice-
> presidential minion -- er, running mate. Who did she pick?

Kaine

--
Dan Tilque

Pete

Jul 29, 2016, 3:44:02 PM7/29/16
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:O9CdnRBj2MiBHgTKnZ2dnUU7-
QvN...@giganews.com:

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2016-07-25,
> and should be interpreted accordingly. If any answers have changed
> due to newer news, you are still expected to give the answers that
> were correct on that date.

> Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
> the questions and place your answer below each one.) I will
> reveal the correct answers in about 3 days. The current-events
> round from the Final will follow in about 2 weeks, completing the
> current-events game for this season.
>
> All questions were written by members of the Usual Suspects and
> are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
> have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
> see my 2016-05-31 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 10 (2016-07-25), Round 1 -- Current Events
>
> 1. Canada gained a UNESCO World Heritage Site last week, so
> designated because of its collection of fossils, some in excess
> of 500,000,000 years old. In which province is it located?

Alberta; Yukon

> 2. Last week 26-year-old model and social media celebrity Qandeel
> ["KAN-deal"] Baloch was murdered, apparently strangled by
> her own brother in a so-called honour killing because of her
> provocative online persona. In what country did this occur?

Pakistan

> 3. Many qualities win competitions: talent, perseverance, and luck
> among them, but what did Will Power win last Sunday? -- Yeah,
> Will Power is the dude's name. Tell us what he won.
>
> 4. What form of payment did the three Wal-Mart stores in Thunder
> Bay stop accepting last week, with a threat from the company
> to extend the ban country-wide? Be specific.

Personal checks

> 5. If there's one thing we hate here at Trivia Central, it's drunk
> people trying to fly airplanes. Two pilots from which airline
> were arrested last week in Glasgow on suspicion of being
> intoxicated, just before their flight was set to take off?

Ryan Air

> 6. Following the coup attempt the previous week, the Turkish
> government last week carried out a purge of supposed followers
> of what Muslim cleric, who it is also demanding be extradited
> from the US?
>
> 7. Who is the well-known writer, film director, and TV producer,
> among his other talents, who died last week at age 81?

Marshall

> 8. Name the Canadian scientist, metallurgist, anti-nuclear activist,
> author, and educator who died last Friday at age 94.
>
> 9. He's only just turned 3, but Prince George is already causing
> grief for his parents after pictures of him doing *what* were
> released last week? (In response, of course. the Twitter-verse
> did what it does.) Be specific.
>
> 10. Last week it was Hillary Clinton's turn to name a vice-
> presidential minion -- er, running mate. Who did she pick?

Kaine

Pete Gayde

Mark Brader

Jul 30, 2016, 11:20:36 PM7/30/16
Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2016-07-25,
> and should be interpreted accordingly. If any answers have changed
> due to newer news, you are still expected to give the answers
> that were correct on that date... For further information see
> my 2016-05-31 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

So far the current-events game is neck-and-neck. It will be decided
the first week of August.

> * Game 10 (2016-07-25), Round 1 -- Current Events

> 1. Canada gained a UNESCO World Heritage Site last week, so
> designated because of its collection of fossils, some in excess
> of 500,000,000 years old. In which province is it located?

Newfoundland and Labrador. ("Newfoundland" was sufficient. The site
is called Mistaken Point.)

> 2. Last week 26-year-old model and social media celebrity Qandeel
> ["KAN-deal"] Baloch was murdered, apparently strangled by
> her own brother in a so-called honour killing because of her
> provocative online persona. In what country did this occur?

Pakistan. 4 for Joshua, Erland, Dan Blum, Peter, Marc, and Pete.

> 3. Many qualities win competitions: talent, perseverance, and luck
> among them, but what did Will Power win last Sunday? -- Yeah,
> Will Power is the dude's name. Tell us what he won.

Honda Indy Toronto. ("Indy" with either of the other words was
sufficient.)

> 4. What form of payment did the three Wal-Mart stores in Thunder
> Bay stop accepting last week, with a threat from the company
> to extend the ban country-wide? Be specific.

Visa.

> 5. If there's one thing we hate here at Trivia Central, it's drunk
> people trying to fly airplanes. Two pilots from which airline
> were arrested last week in Glasgow on suspicion of being
> intoxicated, just before their flight was set to take off?

Air Transat.

> 6. Following the coup attempt the previous week, the Turkish
> government last week carried out a purge of supposed followers
> of what Muslim cleric, who it is also demanding be extradited
> from the US?

Fethullah Gülen ["Fet-HOO-luh Goo-LAHN"]. 4 for Erland and Dan Blum.

> 7. Who is the well-known writer, film director, and TV producer,
> among his other talents, who died last week at age 81?

Garry Marshall. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, Marc, Jason, and Pete.

> 8. Name the Canadian scientist, metallurgist, anti-nuclear activist,
> author, and educator who died last Friday at age 94.

Ursula Franklin.

> 9. He's only just turned 3, but Prince George is already causing
> grief for his parents after pictures of him doing *what* were
> released last week? (In response, of course. the Twitter-verse
> did what it does.) Be specific.

Feeding ice cream to a dog. 4 for Peter.

> 10. Last week it was Hillary Clinton's turn to name a vice-
> presidential minion -- er, running mate. Who did she pick?

Tim Kaine. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, Peter, Marc, Jason, Dan Tilque,
and Pete. 3 for Erland.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAMES-> 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 BEST EIGHT
Pete Gayde 16 14 15 4 24 12 16 24 20 12 141
Joshua Kreitzer 16 8 12 4 20 16 20 20 24 12 140
Dan Blum 16 23 11 0 -- -- 12 24 12 16 114
Peter Smyth 12 4 12 4 23 0 8 20 20 12 111
Erland Sommarskog 4 8 20 0 16 8 16 12 12 11 103
Dan Tilque 12 12 16 0 8 4 8 20 8 4 88
Marc Dashevsky 8 12 -- -- -- -- 16 20 8 12 76
Jason Kreitzer 12 8 -- -- -- -- 8 4 12 8 52
Bruce Bowler -- -- 12 0 20 16 -- -- -- -- 48
Stephen Perry -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- 40 -- 40

--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "Police Stop Slaying Suspect Look-alikes"
m...@vex.net | --Yakima, WA, Herald-Republic, 2001-08-26