QFTCIUA19 Current Events 5-6

Mark Brader

Jun 25, 2019, 8:25:50 AM6/25/19
These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on the dates
indicated below, and should be interpreted accordingly. If any
answers have changed due to newer news, you are still expected to
give the answers that were correct on that date.

Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

All questions were written by members of Unnatural Axxxe and are
used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
been retyped and/or edited by me. The posting and tabulation of
current-events questions is independent of the concurrent posting of
other rounds. For further information see my 2019-01-22 companion
posting on "Questions from the Canadian Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

* Game 5 (2019-06-17), Round 1 - Current Events

1. Which former Boston Red Sox player was shot in the back in his
native Dominican Republic?

2. Which company is embroiled in a years-old trademark dispute
with MLSE over the clawed-basketball logo of the Toronto Raptors?

3. Ten US states are suing to prevent two telecommunications
giants from merging, saying it will hurt consumers.
Name *either* of the companies in the proposed merger.

4. The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences filed a defense
last week in a lawsuit over its expulsion of a member in 2018.
Who is suing them?

5. Lauren Tilley and Bailey Chitty -- two University of New
Brunswick Students volunteering for Youth Challenge International
-- were kidnapped and released. In what country did this happen?

6. Axe partnered with a technology giant to produce gaming-oriented
personal care products that are being test-marketed in Australia.
Name the digital partner.

7. Who did Justin Bieber challenge to an MMA cage (octagon) fight?

8. A world-class cyclist is in intensive care with multiple
fractures after crashing into a wall at 60 km/h at the Criterium
de Dauphine. The crash ended his hopes of a fifth Tour de
France win. Who is he?

9. Last week marked the 100th anniversary of the invention in
Florence, Italy, of one of the world's most popular cocktails --
a concoction of Campari, vermouth, gin, and bitters. Name that
poison.

10. Who won the Larry O'Brien Trophy last week?

* Game 6 (2019-06-24), Round 1 - Current Events

1. At the the Meijer LPGA Classic last week, a record was set for
most career pro golf titles by a Canadian. Name either the
woman who set the record with 9 tournament wins, or the one
who held the record previously with 8.

2. As a child she was the subject of the world's most publicized
custody case. She went on to create a glamorous fashion empire
that included her signature blue jeans. Name that poor little
rich girl who died last week at age 95.

3. New York's Metropolitan Transit Authority refused an ad and
was sued last week by the company "Dame" for infringing on
their First Amendment rights and invoking a gender-based double
standard of censorship. What does Dame sell?

4. What is Facebook's proposed new cryptocurrency called?

5. The leader of a cultish multi-level marketing group -- whose
followers included actress Allison Mack and heiress Clare
Bronfman -- was convicted of multiple counts of sex trafficking.
Give either his name or that of his organization.

6. Name *either one* of the two TTC stations which were temporarily
renamed, with altered spellings, for Pride Month.

7. What was celebrated on June 19, also known as Juneteenth?

8. British arms sales to Saudi Arabia have been declared unlawful
because they contributed to civilian deaths where?

9. The Tampa Bay Rays are requesting to split their home games
with which Canadian city?

10. Who is representing the People's Party of Canada in Etobicoke
North in the fall federal election?

--
Mark Brader, Toronto, m...@vex.net | "What are u interesting in?" --seen in spam

Dan Blum

Jun 25, 2019, 11:22:39 AM6/25/19
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 5 (2019-06-17), Round 1 - Current Events

> 1. Which former Boston Red Sox player was shot in the back in his
> native Dominican Republic?

David Ortiz

> 3. Ten US states are suing to prevent two telecommunications
> giants from merging, saying it will hurt consumers.
> Name *either* of the companies in the proposed merger.

AT&T

> 4. The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences filed a defense
> last week in a lawsuit over its expulsion of a member in 2018.
> Who is suing them?

Harvey Weinstein

> 6. Axe partnered with a technology giant to produce gaming-oriented
> personal care products that are being test-marketed in Australia.
> Name the digital partner.

Microsoft; Facebook

> * Game 6 (2019-06-24), Round 1 - Current Events

> 2. As a child she was the subject of the world's most publicized
> custody case. She went on to create a glamorous fashion empire
> that included her signature blue jeans. Name that poor little
> rich girl who died last week at age 95.

Gloria Vanderbilt

> 3. New York's Metropolitan Transit Authority refused an ad and
> was sued last week by the company "Dame" for infringing on
> their First Amendment rights and invoking a gender-based double
> standard of censorship. What does Dame sell?

bras

> 7. What was celebrated on June 19, also known as Juneteenth?

Emancipation Proclamation

> 8. British arms sales to Saudi Arabia have been declared unlawful
> because they contributed to civilian deaths where?

Yemen

> 9. The Tampa Bay Rays are requesting to split their home games
> with which Canadian city?

Montreal

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Dan Tilque

Jun 25, 2019, 12:11:19 PM6/25/19
On 6/25/19 5:25 AM, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 5 (2019-06-17), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 1. Which former Boston Red Sox player was shot in the back in his
> native Dominican Republic?

Ortiz

> 2. Which company is embroiled in a years-old trademark dispute
> with MLSE over the clawed-basketball logo of the Toronto Raptors?
>
> 3. Ten US states are suing to prevent two telecommunications
> giants from merging, saying it will hurt consumers.
> Name *either* of the companies in the proposed merger.

Sprint
Gloria Vanderbilt

> 3. New York's Metropolitan Transit Authority refused an ad and
> was sued last week by the company "Dame" for infringing on
> their First Amendment rights and invoking a gender-based double
> standard of censorship. What does Dame sell?
>
> 4. What is Facebook's proposed new cryptocurrency called?
>
> 5. The leader of a cultish multi-level marketing group -- whose
> followers included actress Allison Mack and heiress Clare
> Bronfman -- was convicted of multiple counts of sex trafficking.
> Give either his name or that of his organization.
>
> 6. Name *either one* of the two TTC stations which were temporarily
> renamed, with altered spellings, for Pride Month.
>
> 7. What was celebrated on June 19, also known as Juneteenth?

freeing of slaves in Texas

> 8. British arms sales to Saudi Arabia have been declared unlawful
> because they contributed to civilian deaths where?

Yemen

> 9. The Tampa Bay Rays are requesting to split their home games
> with which Canadian city?

Montreal

> 10. Who is representing the People's Party of Canada in Etobicoke
> North in the fall federal election?

Ford

--
Dan Tilque

Bruce Bowler

Jun 25, 2019, 2:35:44 PM6/25/19
On Tue, 25 Jun 2019 07:25:45 -0500, Mark Brader wrote:

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on the dates
> indicated below, and should be interpreted accordingly. If any answers
> have changed due to newer news, you are still expected to give the
> answers that were correct on that date.
>
> On each question you may give up to two answers, but if you give both a
> right answer and a wrong answer, there is a small penalty. Please post
> all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup, based only on
> your own knowledge. (In your answer posting, quote the questions and
> place your answer below each one.) I will reveal the correct answers in
> about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of Unnatural Axxxe and are used
> here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have been retyped
> and/or edited by me. The posting and tabulation of current-events
> questions is independent of the concurrent posting of other rounds. For
> further information see my 2019-01-22 companion posting on "Questions
> from the Canadian Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 5 (2019-06-17), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 1. Which former Boston Red Sox player was shot in the back in his
> native Dominican Republic?

Big Papi aka David Ortiz

> 3. Ten US states are suing to prevent two telecommunications
> giants from merging, saying it will hurt consumers.
> Name *either* of the companies in the proposed merger.

Comcast

> * Game 6 (2019-06-24), Round 1 - Current Events

> 2. As a child she was the subject of the world's most publicized
> custody case. She went on to create a glamorous fashion empire that
> included her signature blue jeans. Name that poor little rich girl
> who died last week at age 95.

Gloria Vanderbilt

> 3. New York's Metropolitan Transit Authority refused an ad and
> was sued last week by the company "Dame" for infringing on their
> First Amendment rights and invoking a gender-based double standard of
> censorship. What does Dame sell?

Vibrators

> 4. What is Facebook's proposed new cryptocurrency called?

Libra

> 5. The leader of a cultish multi-level marketing group -- whose
> followers included actress Allison Mack and heiress Clare Bronfman --
> was convicted of multiple counts of sex trafficking. Give either his
> name or that of his organization.

Nxivm

> 7. What was celebrated on June 19, also known as Juneteenth?

The Emancipation Proclamation

Erland Sommarskog

Jun 25, 2019, 3:04:38 PM6/25/19
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> * Game 5 (2019-06-17), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 3. Ten US states are suing to prevent two telecommunications
> giants from merging, saying it will hurt consumers.
> Name *either* of the companies in the proposed merger.

Verizon

> 5. Lauren Tilley and Bailey Chitty -- two University of New
> Brunswick Students volunteering for Youth Challenge International
> -- were kidnapped and released. In what country did this happen?

Colombia

> 8. A world-class cyclist is in intensive care with multiple
> fractures after crashing into a wall at 60 km/h at the Criterium
> de Dauphine. The crash ended his hopes of a fifth Tour de
> France win. Who is he?

Chris Froome

> 9. Last week marked the 100th anniversary of the invention in
> Florence, Italy, of one of the world's most popular cocktails --
> a concoction of Campari, vermouth, gin, and bitters. Name that
> poison.

Dry Martini

> * Game 6 (2019-06-24), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 4. What is Facebook's proposed new cryptocurrency called?

Libra

> 7. What was celebrated on June 19, also known as Juneteenth?

John the Baptist

> 8. British arms sales to Saudi Arabia have been declared unlawful
> because they contributed to civilian deaths where?

Yemen

Pete Gayde

Jun 26, 2019, 1:10:02 PM6/26/19
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:vMmdnd5xV8lUj4_AnZ2dnUU7-
L3N...@giganews.com:

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on the dates
> indicated below, and should be interpreted accordingly. If any
> answers have changed due to newer news, you are still expected to
> give the answers that were correct on that date.

> Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of Unnatural Axxxe and are
> used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
> been retyped and/or edited by me. The posting and tabulation of
> current-events questions is independent of the concurrent posting of
> other rounds. For further information see my 2019-01-22 companion
> posting on "Questions from the Canadian Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 5 (2019-06-17), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 1. Which former Boston Red Sox player was shot in the back in his
> native Dominican Republic?

Ortiz

> 2. Which company is embroiled in a years-old trademark dispute
> with MLSE over the clawed-basketball logo of the Toronto Raptors?
>
> 3. Ten US states are suing to prevent two telecommunications
> giants from merging, saying it will hurt consumers.
> Name *either* of the companies in the proposed merger.

T-Mobile

> 4. The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences filed a defense
> last week in a lawsuit over its expulsion of a member in 2018.
> Who is suing them?

Weinstein

> 5. Lauren Tilley and Bailey Chitty -- two University of New
> Brunswick Students volunteering for Youth Challenge International
> -- were kidnapped and released. In what country did this happen?
>
> 6. Axe partnered with a technology giant to produce gaming-oriented
> personal care products that are being test-marketed in Australia.
> Name the digital partner.

Sony; Microsoft

> 7. Who did Justin Bieber challenge to an MMA cage (octagon) fight?

Tom Cruise

> 8. A world-class cyclist is in intensive care with multiple
> fractures after crashing into a wall at 60 km/h at the Criterium
> de Dauphine. The crash ended his hopes of a fifth Tour de
> France win. Who is he?

Froome

> 9. Last week marked the 100th anniversary of the invention in
> Florence, Italy, of one of the world's most popular cocktails --
> a concoction of Campari, vermouth, gin, and bitters. Name that
> poison.
>
> 10. Who won the Larry O'Brien Trophy last week?

Toronto Raptors

> * Game 6 (2019-06-24), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 1. At the the Meijer LPGA Classic last week, a record was set for
> most career pro golf titles by a Canadian. Name either the
> woman who set the record with 9 tournament wins, or the one
> who held the record previously with 8.
>
> 2. As a child she was the subject of the world's most publicized
> custody case. She went on to create a glamorous fashion empire
> that included her signature blue jeans. Name that poor little
> rich girl who died last week at age 95.

Gloria Vanderbilt

> 3. New York's Metropolitan Transit Authority refused an ad and
> was sued last week by the company "Dame" for infringing on
> their First Amendment rights and invoking a gender-based double
> standard of censorship. What does Dame sell?
>
> 4. What is Facebook's proposed new cryptocurrency called?

Libra

> 5. The leader of a cultish multi-level marketing group -- whose
> followers included actress Allison Mack and heiress Clare
> Bronfman -- was convicted of multiple counts of sex trafficking.
> Give either his name or that of his organization.
>
> 6. Name *either one* of the two TTC stations which were temporarily
> renamed, with altered spellings, for Pride Month.
>
> 7. What was celebrated on June 19, also known as Juneteenth?

Emancipation of slaves

> 8. British arms sales to Saudi Arabia have been declared unlawful
> because they contributed to civilian deaths where?

Yemen

> 9. The Tampa Bay Rays are requesting to split their home games
> with which Canadian city?

Montreal

> 10. Who is representing the People's Party of Canada in Etobicoke
> North in the fall federal election?

Pete Gayde

Joshua Kreitzer

Jun 26, 2019, 8:59:14 PM6/26/19
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:vMmdnd5xV8lUj4_AnZ2dnUU7-
L3N...@giganews.com:

> * Game 5 (2019-06-17), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 1. Which former Boston Red Sox player was shot in the back in his
> native Dominican Republic?

Ortiz

> 4. The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences filed a defense
> last week in a lawsuit over its expulsion of a member in 2018.
> Who is suing them?

Polanski

> 9. Last week marked the 100th anniversary of the invention in
> Florence, Italy, of one of the world's most popular cocktails --
> a concoction of Campari, vermouth, gin, and bitters. Name that
> poison.

Negroni

> * Game 6 (2019-06-24), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 2. As a child she was the subject of the world's most publicized
> custody case. She went on to create a glamorous fashion empire
> that included her signature blue jeans. Name that poor little
> rich girl who died last week at age 95.

Vanderbilt

> 5. The leader of a cultish multi-level marketing group -- whose
> followers included actress Allison Mack and heiress Clare
> Bronfman -- was convicted of multiple counts of sex trafficking.
> Give either his name or that of his organization.

NXIVM

> 7. What was celebrated on June 19, also known as Juneteenth?

end of slavery (in Texas, 1865)

> 9. The Tampa Bay Rays are requesting to split their home games
> with which Canadian city?

Montreal

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

Mark Brader

Jun 28, 2019, 8:03:43 PM6/28/19
Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on the
> dates indicated below, and should be interpreted accordingly.
> If any answers have changed due to newer news, you are still
> expected to give the answers that were correct on that date...
> For further information see my 2019-01-22 companion posting on
> "Questions from the Canadian Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

> * Game 5 (2019-06-17), Round 1 - Current Events

> 1. Which former Boston Red Sox player was shot in the back in his
> native Dominican Republic?

David Ortiz. 4 for Dan Blum, Dan Tilque, Bruce, Pete, and Joshua.

> 2. Which company is embroiled in a years-old trademark dispute
> with MLSE over the clawed-basketball logo of the Toronto Raptors?

Monster Energy Drink.

> 3. Ten US states are suing to prevent two telecommunications
> giants from merging, saying it will hurt consumers.
> Name *either* of the companies in the proposed merger.

Sprint, T-Mobile. 4 for Dan Tilque and Pete.

> 4. The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences filed a defense
> last week in a lawsuit over its expulsion of a member in 2018.
> Who is suing them?

Roman Polanski. 4 for Joshua.

> 5. Lauren Tilley and Bailey Chitty -- two University of New
> Brunswick Students volunteering for Youth Challenge International
> -- were kidnapped and released. In what country did this happen?

Ghana.

> 6. Axe partnered with a technology giant to produce gaming-oriented
> personal care products that are being test-marketed in Australia.
> Name the digital partner.

Microsoft. 3 for Dan Blum. 2 for Pete.

> 7. Who did Justin Bieber challenge to an MMA cage (octagon) fight?

Tom Cruise. 4 for Pete.

> 8. A world-class cyclist is in intensive care with multiple
> fractures after crashing into a wall at 60 km/h at the Criterium
> de Dauphine. The crash ended his hopes of a fifth Tour de
> France win. Who is he?

Chris Froome. 4 for Erland and Pete.

> 9. Last week marked the 100th anniversary of the invention in
> Florence, Italy, of one of the world's most popular cocktails --
> a concoction of Campari, vermouth, gin, and bitters. Name that
> poison.

The Negroni. 4 for Joshua.

> 10. Who won the Larry O'Brien Trophy last week?

The Toronto Raptors. 4 for Pete.

Yes, it's the NBA championship trophy. Unnatural Axxxe guessed
that not a lot of people would know that.

> * Game 6 (2019-06-24), Round 1 - Current Events

> 1. At the the Meijer LPGA Classic last week, a record was set for
> most career pro golf titles by a Canadian. Name either the
> woman who set the record with 9 tournament wins, or the one
> who held the record previously with 8.

Brooke Henderson, Sandra Post.

> 2. As a child she was the subject of the world's most publicized
> custody case. She went on to create a glamorous fashion empire
> that included her signature blue jeans. Name that poor little
> rich girl who died last week at age 95.

Gloria Vanderbilt. 4 for Dan Blum, Dan Tilque, Bruce, Pete,
and Joshua.

> 3. New York's Metropolitan Transit Authority refused an ad and
> was sued last week by the company "Dame" for infringing on
> their First Amendment rights and invoking a gender-based double
> standard of censorship. What does Dame sell?

Sex toys. I accepted "vibrators". 4 for Bruce.

> 4. What is Facebook's proposed new cryptocurrency called?

Libra. 4 for Bruce, Erland, and Pete.

> 5. The leader of a cultish multi-level marketing group -- whose
> followers included actress Allison Mack and heiress Clare
> Bronfman -- was convicted of multiple counts of sex trafficking.
> Give either his name or that of his organization.

Keith Raniere, NXIVM. 4 for Bruce and Joshua.

> 6. Name *either one* of the two TTC stations which were temporarily
> renamed, with altered spellings, for Pride Month.

Queen ("Qween"), Wellesley ("Welleslay").

> 7. What was celebrated on June 19, also known as Juneteenth?

The abolition of slavery -- specifically, the 1865-06-19
announcement of the abolition of slavery in Texas, symbolizing
the political end of slavery throughout the former Confederacy.
The Emancipation Proclamation was on 1863-01-01, but I decided to
score it as almost correct. 4 for Dan Tilque, Pete, and Joshua.
3 for Dan Blum and Bruce.

> 8. British arms sales to Saudi Arabia have been declared unlawful
> because they contributed to civilian deaths where?

Yemen. 4 for Dan Blum, Dan Tilque, Erland, and Pete.

> 9. The Tampa Bay Rays are requesting to split their home games
> with which Canadian city?

Montreal. 4 for Dan Blum, Dan Tilque, Pete, and Joshua.

> 10. Who is representing the People's Party of Canada in Etobicoke
> North in the fall federal election?

Renata Ford. (Widow of Rob.) This one probably should have required
her first name, but it didn't, so 4 for Dan Tilque.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAMES-> 1 2 3 4 5 6 BEST FOUR
Pete Gayde -- -- 16 12 22 20 70
Dan Blum 8 20 16 12 7 15 63
Erland Sommarskog 8 24 4 16 4 8 56
Joshua Kreitzer 8 16 8 8 12 16 52
Dan Tilque 0 4 8 8 8 20 44
Bruce Bowler -- -- 12 7 4 19 42

--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "But going repeatedly back and forth in time is
m...@vex.net | cheating. Anybody can do that!" --Paul Kriha