QFTCIRS Game 4, Rounds 4,6: PMs, pseudomedicine

Mark Brader

Nov 25, 2019, 4:54:01 AM11/25/19
These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2019-10-07,
and should be interpreted accordingly.

Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

All questions were written by members of the Red Smarties and are
used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information see
my 2019-10-16 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

* Game 4, Round 4 - Canadiana History - Prime Ministers

For questions #1-5, name the people who have had the shortest
terms as prime minister. We will tell you their party, the year
when they first took office -- note that this may not have been
during an election -- and how long they were in power.

1. Conservative, 1896, 68 days.
2. Liberal, 1984, 79 days.
3. Conservative, 1993, 132 days.
4. Conservative, 1894, 1 year 128 days.
5. Conservative, 1891, 1 year 161 days.

Questions #6-10 work the same way, but these prime ministers have
each had more time in office than all of the above put together.

6. Progressive Conservative, 1957, 5 years 305 days.
7. Liberal, 1948, 8 years 218 days.
8. Liberal, 1993, 10 years 38 days.
9. Liberal, 1968, 15 years 164 days (total of two separate terms).
10. Liberal, 1921, 21 years 154 days (total of three separate terms).

* Game 4, Round 6 - Science - Pseudoscience in Medicine

This round is not about anything scientific; it's about pseudo-
scientific beliefs, theories, and practices that relate to medicine.

1. The central principle of homeopathy is summed up in the Latin
phrase "similia similibus curentur". What is this principle
in English?

2. Touted as an immune-boosting supplement and a cure for chronic
Lyme disease, this suspension of a precious metal in liquid,
taken daily by mouth, has been known to cause argyria,
an irreversible condition in which body tissues turn blue.
Name the substance.

3. Early last year, Gwyneth Paltrow was roundly derided for
promoting a "colonic detox" regimen, already established as
a very fringe alternative cancer therapy, which consists of
enemas using what common beverage?

4. Laetrile, a medically discredited compound derived from the
pits of stone fruits, is touted as a black-market cancer therapy
whereby tumor cells are destroyed by which toxic compound?

5. Nosodes are homeopathic compounds derived from diseased tissues
and bodily fluids excreted in the course of an illness.
They are taken by mouth, and are touted as an alternative to
what routine medical procedure?

6. In this form of energy-healing massage developed in Japan in
1922, a "universal energy" is said to be transferred through the
palms of the practitioner to the patient in order to encourage
emotional or physical healing; physical contact is not necessary.

7. Morgellons is generally considered by the medical community to
be a form of delusional parasitosis. Morgellons sufferers
believe they have *what* implanted or embedded beneath their
skin?

8. The very fringe practice of iridology claims to be able to
diagnose illness based on the color, texture, and changes in
which part of the body? Be fully specific.

9. Psychic surgery is a kind of faith-healing that involves the
supposed removal of tumors and diseased organs with the bare
hands, using no instruments and leaving no scars. Perhaps the
most famous western patient of a psychic surgeon was this
prankster and sitcom actor from the 1980s who travelled to the
Philippines in a last-ditch attempt to cure his rare lung cancer;
he died in 1984. Who?

10. Name the ex-doctor responsible for the discredited study that
supposedly demonstrated a link between vaccines and autism.

--
Mark Brader | Nature is often much more interesting than we would
Toronto | like her to be. However when we finally do understand
| and then marvel at how beautifully simple it was
| all the time. -- Leigh Palmer

Dan Blum

Nov 25, 2019, 10:01:50 AM11/25/19
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 4, Round 4 - Canadiana History - Prime Ministers

> 2. Liberal, 1984, 79 days.

Campbell

> 8. Liberal, 1993, 10 years 38 days.

Mulroney

> * Game 4, Round 6 - Science - Pseudoscience in Medicine

> 2. Touted as an immune-boosting supplement and a cure for chronic
> Lyme disease, this suspension of a precious metal in liquid,
> taken daily by mouth, has been known to cause argyria,
> an irreversible condition in which body tissues turn blue.
> Name the substance.

colloidal silver

> 3. Early last year, Gwyneth Paltrow was roundly derided for
> promoting a "colonic detox" regimen, already established as
> a very fringe alternative cancer therapy, which consists of
> enemas using what common beverage?

coffee

> 4. Laetrile, a medically discredited compound derived from the
> pits of stone fruits, is touted as a black-market cancer therapy
> whereby tumor cells are destroyed by which toxic compound?

cyanide

> 5. Nosodes are homeopathic compounds derived from diseased tissues
> and bodily fluids excreted in the course of an illness.
> They are taken by mouth, and are touted as an alternative to
> what routine medical procedure?

vaccination

> 6. In this form of energy-healing massage developed in Japan in
> 1922, a "universal energy" is said to be transferred through the
> palms of the practitioner to the patient in order to encourage
> emotional or physical healing; physical contact is not necessary.

reiki

> 7. Morgellons is generally considered by the medical community to
> be a form of delusional parasitosis. Morgellons sufferers
> believe they have *what* implanted or embedded beneath their
> skin?

small fibers

> 8. The very fringe practice of iridology claims to be able to
> diagnose illness based on the color, texture, and changes in
> which part of the body? Be fully specific.

iris

> 9. Psychic surgery is a kind of faith-healing that involves the
> supposed removal of tumors and diseased organs with the bare
> hands, using no instruments and leaving no scars. Perhaps the
> most famous western patient of a psychic surgeon was this
> prankster and sitcom actor from the 1980s who travelled to the
> Philippines in a last-ditch attempt to cure his rare lung cancer;
> he died in 1984. Who?

Andy Kaufman

> 10. Name the ex-doctor responsible for the discredited study that
> supposedly demonstrated a link between vaccines and autism.

Andrew Wakefield

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Dan Tilque

Nov 25, 2019, 1:58:33 PM11/25/19
On 11/25/19 1:53 AM, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 4, Round 4 - Canadiana History - Prime Ministers
>
> For questions #1-5, name the people who have had the shortest
> terms as prime minister. We will tell you their party, the year
> when they first took office -- note that this may not have been
> during an election -- and how long they were in power.
>
> 1. Conservative, 1896, 68 days.
> 2. Liberal, 1984, 79 days.
> 3. Conservative, 1993, 132 days.

Kim Campbell

> 4. Conservative, 1894, 1 year 128 days.
> 5. Conservative, 1891, 1 year 161 days.
>
> Questions #6-10 work the same way, but these prime ministers have
> each had more time in office than all of the above put together.
>
> 6. Progressive Conservative, 1957, 5 years 305 days.
> 7. Liberal, 1948, 8 years 218 days.
> 8. Liberal, 1993, 10 years 38 days.
> 9. Liberal, 1968, 15 years 164 days (total of two separate terms).

Pierre Trudeau

> 10. Liberal, 1921, 21 years 154 days (total of three separate terms).

King

> * Game 4, Round 6 - Science - Pseudoscience in Medicine
>
> This round is not about anything scientific; it's about pseudo-
> scientific beliefs, theories, and practices that relate to medicine.
>
> 1. The central principle of homeopathy is summed up in the Latin
> phrase "similia similibus curentur". What is this principle
> in English?

like cures like

> 2. Touted as an immune-boosting supplement and a cure for chronic
> Lyme disease, this suspension of a precious metal in liquid,
> taken daily by mouth, has been known to cause argyria,
> an irreversible condition in which body tissues turn blue.
> Name the substance.
>
> 3. Early last year, Gwyneth Paltrow was roundly derided for
> promoting a "colonic detox" regimen, already established as
> a very fringe alternative cancer therapy, which consists of
> enemas using what common beverage?

tea

> 4. Laetrile, a medically discredited compound derived from the
> pits of stone fruits, is touted as a black-market cancer therapy
> whereby tumor cells are destroyed by which toxic compound?

cyanide

> 5. Nosodes are homeopathic compounds derived from diseased tissues
> and bodily fluids excreted in the course of an illness.
> They are taken by mouth, and are touted as an alternative to
> what routine medical procedure?
>
> 6. In this form of energy-healing massage developed in Japan in
> 1922, a "universal energy" is said to be transferred through the
> palms of the practitioner to the patient in order to encourage
> emotional or physical healing; physical contact is not necessary.
>
> 7. Morgellons is generally considered by the medical community to
> be a form of delusional parasitosis. Morgellons sufferers
> believe they have *what* implanted or embedded beneath their
> skin?

RFID chips

> 8. The very fringe practice of iridology claims to be able to
> diagnose illness based on the color, texture, and changes in
> which part of the body? Be fully specific.
>
> 9. Psychic surgery is a kind of faith-healing that involves the
> supposed removal of tumors and diseased organs with the bare
> hands, using no instruments and leaving no scars. Perhaps the
> most famous western patient of a psychic surgeon was this
> prankster and sitcom actor from the 1980s who travelled to the
> Philippines in a last-ditch attempt to cure his rare lung cancer;
> he died in 1984. Who?
>
> 10. Name the ex-doctor responsible for the discredited study that
> supposedly demonstrated a link between vaccines and autism.

--
Dan Tilque

Joshua Kreitzer

Nov 25, 2019, 9:30:54 PM11/25/19
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:mbWdnX5XxrIpOUbAnZ2dnUU7-
SvN...@giganews.com:

> * Game 4, Round 4 - Canadiana History - Prime Ministers
>
> For questions #1-5, name the people who have had the shortest
> terms as prime minister. We will tell you their party, the year
> when they first took office -- note that this may not have been
> during an election -- and how long they were in power.
>
> 3. Conservative, 1993, 132 days.

Kim Campbell

> Questions #6-10 work the same way, but these prime ministers have
> each had more time in office than all of the above put together.
>
> 6. Progressive Conservative, 1957, 5 years 305 days.

Lester Pearson

> 8. Liberal, 1993, 10 years 38 days.

Jean Chretien

> 9. Liberal, 1968, 15 years 164 days (total of two separate terms).

Pierre Trudeau

> * Game 4, Round 6 - Science - Pseudoscience in Medicine
>
> This round is not about anything scientific; it's about pseudo-
> scientific beliefs, theories, and practices that relate to medicine.
>
> 1. The central principle of homeopathy is summed up in the Latin
> phrase "similia similibus curentur". What is this principle
> in English?

like cures like

> 2. Touted as an immune-boosting supplement and a cure for chronic
> Lyme disease, this suspension of a precious metal in liquid,
> taken daily by mouth, has been known to cause argyria,
> an irreversible condition in which body tissues turn blue.
> Name the substance.

silver

> 6. In this form of energy-healing massage developed in Japan in
> 1922, a "universal energy" is said to be transferred through the
> palms of the practitioner to the patient in order to encourage
> emotional or physical healing; physical contact is not necessary.

reiki

> 7. Morgellons is generally considered by the medical community to
> be a form of delusional parasitosis. Morgellons sufferers
> believe they have *what* implanted or embedded beneath their
> skin?

worms; insects

> 8. The very fringe practice of iridology claims to be able to
> diagnose illness based on the color, texture, and changes in
> which part of the body? Be fully specific.

iris

> 9. Psychic surgery is a kind of faith-healing that involves the
> supposed removal of tumors and diseased organs with the bare
> hands, using no instruments and leaving no scars. Perhaps the
> most famous western patient of a psychic surgeon was this
> prankster and sitcom actor from the 1980s who travelled to the
> Philippines in a last-ditch attempt to cure his rare lung cancer;
> he died in 1984. Who?

Andy Kaufman

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

Erland Sommarskog

Nov 26, 2019, 3:14:21 PM11/26/19
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> 2. Touted as an immune-boosting supplement and a cure for chronic
> Lyme disease, this suspension of a precious metal in liquid,
> taken daily by mouth, has been known to cause argyria,
> an irreversible condition in which body tissues turn blue.
> Name the substance.

Copper

> 3. Early last year, Gwyneth Paltrow was roundly derided for
> promoting a "colonic detox" regimen, already established as
> a very fringe alternative cancer therapy, which consists of
> enemas using what common beverage?

Coca-cola

> 10. Name the ex-doctor responsible for the discredited study that
> supposedly demonstrated a link between vaccines and autism.

I'm fairly sure that the first name is Richard, but that is not going
to help me. Atkins?

Mark Brader

Nov 28, 2019, 6:44:39 AM11/28/19
Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2019-10-07,
> see my 2019-10-16 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

> * Game 4, Round 4 - Canadiana History - Prime Ministers

> For questions #1-5, name the people who have had the shortest
> terms as prime minister. We will tell you their party, the year
> when they first took office -- note that this may not have been
> during an election -- and how long they were in power.

In the original game, this round and the audio round were tied as
the easiest round in the game; and if audio and current-events
rounds are ignored, this round was tied for 3rd-easiest of the
entire season.

> 1. Conservative, 1896, 68 days.

Sir Charles Tupper.

> 2. Liberal, 1984, 79 days.

John Turner.

> 3. Conservative, 1993, 132 days.

Kim Campbell. 4 for Dan Tilque and Joshua.

> 4. Conservative, 1894, 1 year 128 days.

Sir Mackenzie Bowell.

> 5. Conservative, 1891, 1 year 161 days.

Sir John Abbott.

> Questions #6-10 work the same way, but these prime ministers have
> each had more time in office than all of the above put together.

In the original game, they were identified as the five longest-serving
prime ministers. I presume that was the original conception of
the round, but it was changed for some reason. If it hadn't been,
Macdonald and Laurier would have been used instead of questions #6-7.

For US readers puzzled by the implied length of a term in office --
we don't count it as a new term when the same PM gets reelected.

> 6. Progressive Conservative, 1957, 5 years 305 days.

John Diefenbaker.

> 7. Liberal, 1948, 8 years 218 days.

Louis St-Laurent.

> 8. Liberal, 1993, 10 years 38 days.

Jean Chrétien. 4 for Joshua.

> 9. Liberal, 1968, 15 years 164 days (total of two separate terms).

Pierre Trudeau. 4 for Dan Tilque and Joshua.

> 10. Liberal, 1921, 21 years 154 days (total of three separate terms).

Sir William Lyon Mackenzie King. 4 for Dan Tilque.

> * Game 4, Round 6 - Science - Pseudoscience in Medicine

> This round is not about anything scientific; it's about pseudo-
> scientific beliefs, theories, and practices that relate to medicine.

> 1. The central principle of homeopathy is summed up in the Latin
> phrase "similia similibus curentur". What is this principle
> in English?

Like cures like. 4 for Dan Tilque and Joshua.

> 2. Touted as an immune-boosting supplement and a cure for chronic
> Lyme disease, this suspension of a precious metal in liquid,
> taken daily by mouth, has been known to cause argyria,
> an irreversible condition in which body tissues turn blue.
> Name the substance.

Colloidal silver. "Silver" was sufficient. 4 for Dan Blum
and Joshua.

> 3. Early last year, Gwyneth Paltrow was roundly derided for
> promoting a "colonic detox" regimen, already established as
> a very fringe alternative cancer therapy, which consists of
> enemas using what common beverage?

Coffee. 4 for Dan Blum.

> 4. Laetrile, a medically discredited compound derived from the
> pits of stone fruits, is touted as a black-market cancer therapy
> whereby tumor cells are destroyed by which toxic compound?

Amygdalin, which is to say, cyanide. 4 for Dan Blum and Dan Tilque.

> 5. Nosodes are homeopathic compounds derived from diseased tissues
> and bodily fluids excreted in the course of an illness.
> They are taken by mouth, and are touted as an alternative to
> what routine medical procedure?

Vaccination. 4 for Dan Blum.

> 6. In this form of energy-healing massage developed in Japan in
> 1922, a "universal energy" is said to be transferred through the
> palms of the practitioner to the patient in order to encourage
> emotional or physical healing; physical contact is not necessary.

Reiki. 4 for Dan Blum and Joshua.

> 7. Morgellons is generally considered by the medical community to
> be a form of delusional parasitosis. Morgellons sufferers
> believe they have *what* implanted or embedded beneath their
> skin?

Fibers, such as hair or threads. 4 for Dan Blum.

> 8. The very fringe practice of iridology claims to be able to
> diagnose illness based on the color, texture, and changes in
> which part of the body? Be fully specific.

The iris of the eye. 4 for Dan Blum and Joshua.

> 9. Psychic surgery is a kind of faith-healing that involves the
> supposed removal of tumors and diseased organs with the bare
> hands, using no instruments and leaving no scars. Perhaps the
> most famous western patient of a psychic surgeon was this
> prankster and sitcom actor from the 1980s who travelled to the
> Philippines in a last-ditch attempt to cure his rare lung cancer;
> he died in 1984. Who?

Andy Kaufman. 4 for Dan Blum and Joshua.

> 10. Name the ex-doctor responsible for the discredited study that
> supposedly demonstrated a link between vaccines and autism.

Andrew Wakefield. 4 for Dan Blum.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 4 ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 6 TOTALS
TOPICS-> Spo Mis Can Sci
Joshua Kreitzer 28 28 12 20 88
Dan Blum 16 28 0 36 80
Dan Tilque 24 32 12 8 76
Pete Gayde 20 20 -- -- 40
"Calvin" 11 28 -- -- 39
Erland Sommarskog 4 24 0 0 28
Bruce Bowler 16 12 -- -- 28

--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "Most people are other people. Their thoughts
m...@vex.net | are someone else's opinions..." --Oscar Wilde