RQFTCI07 Game 6 Rounds 6-7: capitals, secessions

Mark Brader

Aug 26, 2020, 12:18:50 AM8/26/20
These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2007-02-26,
and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
by members of the Usual Suspects, but have been reformatted and
may have been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the
correct answers in about 3 days.

For further information, including an explanation of the """
notation that may appear in these rounds, see my 2020-06-23
companion posting on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

I wrote both of these rounds.

* Game 6, Round 6 - Geography - State Capitals

http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/6/caps.png

Please consult the handout at the above URL. *Every* city on
the map is a capital -- either state, provincial, or national.
(For example, #50 is Washington.) 48 of them are US state
capitals, and we're going to ask you about 10 of those.

In each case, simply give the correct city number.

1. St. Paul.
2. Nashville.
3. Santa Fe.
4. Olympia.
5. Boise.
6. Boston.
7. Baton Rouge.
8. Sacramento.
9. Albany.
10. Trenton.

11. If you want to show off, for fun but for no points, then give
the *number and name* for any or all of the 6 capitals marked
that are *not* in the US or Canada.

12. A further question for fun, but for no points, if you like:
name all the US state capitals and Canadian provincial (not
territorial) capitals that are *not* on the map. You must give
the complete list to be counted as correct.

* Game 6, Round 7 - History - Secession and Separation

This round is about territories that have declared or negotiated
their independence. We will describe this indifferently as
seceding or separating, although in many cases their respective
parent countries would not admit either term. In some cases the
seceding territories were eventually recognized as independent
countries; in others they lost a war and were reabsorbed, or to
put it another way, they never left the parent country. There are
also some in-between cases, where the secessionist authorities
have retained power as a de-facto independent country, but have
not been officially recognized as one, or have been recognized
only by some countries.

*Note*: By "parent country" we mean the one originally existing,
whose area was diminished if the attempted separation was successful.
In some cases we will ask for the parent country, in others the
seceding one, or other information.

7 states declared their secession from the US and formed the
Confederate States of America, and 4 others quickly joined them.
For most of the ensuing 4 years, what was the CSA's capital city?
You can give its name *or* just give its number on the map.

2. One of the Confederate states had seceded from its parent country
once before, in 1836. Still earlier it had been Spanish and
then French territory. Name the state.

3. Which territory with capital Grozny was eventually recaptured
by Russia after several years of de facto independence in
the 1990s?

4. Again in the former Soviet Union, a number of regions """today
have""" de facto independence from various republics, although
none of them """is""" officially recognized. Each of these
territories has seceded from a different former Soviet republic:
(1) Abkhazia; (2) Nagorno-Karabakh; (3) Transnistria, also called
Pridnestrovie. Name *any one* of the three *parent* countries;
you don't have to say which secessionist territory it goes with.

5. This Mediterranean country was invaded in 1974 and its northern
region was occupied. In 1983, with the support of the occupier,
that region declared its independence and it """has been"""
a generally unrecognized, but de facto independent, country
ever since. Meanwhile the parent country joined the European
Union in 2005. Name the parent country.

6. The next two questions are about Africa. The secession of this
country """has""" left Ethopia landlocked; name it.

7. This region attempted to secede from Nigeria in 1967. It was
rich in oil but needed to import food, and a Nigerian blockade
starved it into submission. We need the name adopted by the
secessionist area.

8. For the last three questions we return to Europe. The secession
of this country in, oh, about 1920 caused the full name of its
*parent* country to be lengthened by inserting a 9th word.
Both countries have the same predominant language; name the
one that *seceded*.

9. """Last year""", what became the last of the former Yugoslavian
republics to separate from what is now called Serbia?

10. Czechoslovakia separated into two countries on January 1 of
what year, within 2?

--
Mark Brader | "But the age of chivalry is gone. That of sophisters, econ-
Toronto | omists, and calculators, has succeeded; and the glory of

Joshua Kreitzer

Aug 26, 2020, 12:47:43 AM8/26/20
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:fsadnQL1m8k4f9jCnZ2dnUU7-
N_N...@giganews.com:

> * Game 6, Round 6 - Geography - State Capitals
>
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/6/caps.png
>
> Please consult the handout at the above URL. *Every* city on
> the map is a capital -- either state, provincial, or national.
> (For example, #50 is Washington.) 48 of them are US state
> capitals, and we're going to ask you about 10 of those.
>
> In each case, simply give the correct city number.
>
> 1. St. Paul.

28

> 2. Nashville.

56

> 3. Santa Fe.

13

3

7

> 6. Boston.

47

> 7. Baton Rouge.

53

5

> 9. Albany.

44

> 10. Trenton.

48

> * Game 6, Round 7 - History - Secession and Separation

> 7 states declared their secession from the US and formed the
> Confederate States of America, and 4 others quickly joined them.
> For most of the ensuing 4 years, what was the CSA's capital city?
> You can give its name *or* just give its number on the map.

Richmond

> 2. One of the Confederate states had seceded from its parent country
> once before, in 1836. Still earlier it had been Spanish and
> then French territory. Name the state.

Texas

> 3. Which territory with capital Grozny was eventually recaptured
> by Russia after several years of de facto independence in
> the 1990s?

Chechnya

> 4. Again in the former Soviet Union, a number of regions """today
> have""" de facto independence from various republics, although
> none of them """is""" officially recognized. Each of these
> territories has seceded from a different former Soviet republic:
> (1) Abkhazia; (2) Nagorno-Karabakh; (3) Transnistria, also called
> Pridnestrovie. Name *any one* of the three *parent* countries;
> you don't have to say which secessionist territory it goes with.

Georgia

> 5. This Mediterranean country was invaded in 1974 and its northern
> region was occupied. In 1983, with the support of the occupier,
> that region declared its independence and it """has been"""
> a generally unrecognized, but de facto independent, country
> ever since. Meanwhile the parent country joined the European
> Union in 2005. Name the parent country.

Cyprus

> 6. The next two questions are about Africa. The secession of this
> country """has""" left Ethopia landlocked; name it.

Eritrea

> 7. This region attempted to secede from Nigeria in 1967. It was
> rich in oil but needed to import food, and a Nigerian blockade
> starved it into submission. We need the name adopted by the
> secessionist area.

Biafra

> 8. For the last three questions we return to Europe. The secession
> of this country in, oh, about 1920 caused the full name of its
> *parent* country to be lengthened by inserting a 9th word.
> Both countries have the same predominant language; name the
> one that *seceded*.

Ireland

> 9. """Last year""", what became the last of the former Yugoslavian
> republics to separate from what is now called Serbia?

Montenegro

> 10. Czechoslovakia separated into two countries on January 1 of
> what year, within 2?

1995

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

Dan Blum

Aug 26, 2020, 9:32:32 AM8/26/20
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 6, Round 6 - Geography - State Capitals

> 1. St. Paul.

28

> 2. Nashville.

56

> 3. Santa Fe.

13

3

7

> 6. Boston.

47

> 7. Baton Rouge.

53

5

> 9. Albany.

44

> 10. Trenton.

48

> * Game 6, Round 7 - History - Secession and Separation

> 7 states declared their secession from the US and formed the
> Confederate States of America, and 4 others quickly joined them.
> For most of the ensuing 4 years, what was the CSA's capital city?
> You can give its name *or* just give its number on the map.

Richmond

> 2. One of the Confederate states had seceded from its parent country
> once before, in 1836. Still earlier it had been Spanish and
> then French territory. Name the state.

Texas

> 3. Which territory with capital Grozny was eventually recaptured
> by Russia after several years of de facto independence in
> the 1990s?

Chechnya

> 4. Again in the former Soviet Union, a number of regions """today
> have""" de facto independence from various republics, although
> none of them """is""" officially recognized. Each of these
> territories has seceded from a different former Soviet republic:
> (1) Abkhazia; (2) Nagorno-Karabakh; (3) Transnistria, also called
> Pridnestrovie. Name *any one* of the three *parent* countries;
> you don't have to say which secessionist territory it goes with.

Azerbaijan

> 5. This Mediterranean country was invaded in 1974 and its northern
> region was occupied. In 1983, with the support of the occupier,
> that region declared its independence and it """has been"""
> a generally unrecognized, but de facto independent, country
> ever since. Meanwhile the parent country joined the European
> Union in 2005. Name the parent country.

Turkey

> 6. The next two questions are about Africa. The secession of this
> country """has""" left Ethopia landlocked; name it.

Eritrea

> 7. This region attempted to secede from Nigeria in 1967. It was
> rich in oil but needed to import food, and a Nigerian blockade
> starved it into submission. We need the name adopted by the
> secessionist area.

Biafra

> 8. For the last three questions we return to Europe. The secession
> of this country in, oh, about 1920 caused the full name of its
> *parent* country to be lengthened by inserting a 9th word.
> Both countries have the same predominant language; name the
> one that *seceded*.

Ireland

> 9. """Last year""", what became the last of the former Yugoslavian
> republics to separate from what is now called Serbia?

Montenegro

> 10. Czechoslovakia separated into two countries on January 1 of
> what year, within 2?

1993

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Erland Sommarskog

Aug 26, 2020, 2:46:10 PM8/26/20
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> In each case, simply give the correct city number.
>
> 1. St. Paul.

17

> 2. Nashville.

56

> 3. Santa Fe.

13

3

9

> 6. Boston.

47

> 7. Baton Rouge.

53

5

> 9. Albany.

44

> 10. Trenton.

48

> * Game 6, Round 7 - History - Secession and Separation

> 7 states declared their secession from the US and formed the
> Confederate States of America, and 4 others quickly joined them.
> For most of the ensuing 4 years, what was the CSA's capital city?
> You can give its name *or* just give its number on the map.

61

> 2. One of the Confederate states had seceded from its parent country
> once before, in 1836. Still earlier it had been Spanish and
> then French territory. Name the state.

Texas

> 3. Which territory with capital Grozny was eventually recaptured
> by Russia after several years of de facto independence in
> the 1990s?

Chechnia

> 4. Again in the former Soviet Union, a number of regions """today
> have""" de facto independence from various republics, although
> none of them """is""" officially recognized. Each of these
> territories has seceded from a different former Soviet republic:
> (1) Abkhazia; (2) Nagorno-Karabakh; (3) Transnistria, also called
> Pridnestrovie. Name *any one* of the three *parent* countries;
> you don't have to say which secessionist territory it goes with.

In order: Georgia, Armenia, Moldova

> 5. This Mediterranean country was invaded in 1974 and its northern
> region was occupied. In 1983, with the support of the occupier,
> that region declared its independence and it """has been"""
> a generally unrecognized, but de facto independent, country
> ever since. Meanwhile the parent country joined the European
> Union in 2005. Name the parent country.

Cyprus

> 6. The next two questions are about Africa. The secession of this
> country """has""" left Ethopia landlocked; name it.

Eritrea

> 7. This region attempted to secede from Nigeria in 1967. It was
> rich in oil but needed to import food, and a Nigerian blockade
> starved it into submission. We need the name adopted by the
> secessionist area.

Biafra

> 8. For the last three questions we return to Europe. The secession
> of this country in, oh, about 1920 caused the full name of its
> *parent* country to be lengthened by inserting a 9th word.
> Both countries have the same predominant language; name the
> one that *seceded*.

Ireland

> 9. """Last year""", what became the last of the former Yugoslavian
> republics to separate from what is now called Serbia?

Montenegro

> 10. Czechoslovakia separated into two countries on January 1 of
> what year, within 2?

1993

Mark Brader

Aug 26, 2020, 3:46:12 PM8/26/20
Mark Brader:
> > Name *any one* of the three *parent* countries...

Erland Sommarskog:
> In order: Georgia, Armenia, Moldova

Now he can't count to one.

I will score this as two guesses of Georgia and Armenia.
--
Mark Brader "The spaghetti is put there by the designer of
Toronto the code, not the designer of the language."

Pete Gayde

Aug 26, 2020, 7:06:12 PM8/26/20
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:fsadnQL1m8k4f9jCnZ2dnUU7-
N_N...@giganews.com:

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2007-02-26,
> and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
> by members of the Usual Suspects, but have been reformatted and
> may have been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the
> correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> For further information, including an explanation of the """
> notation that may appear in these rounds, see my 2020-06-23
> companion posting on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".
>

> I wrote both of these rounds.
>

> * Game 6, Round 6 - Geography - State Capitals
>
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/6/caps.png
>
> Please consult the handout at the above URL. *Every* city on
> the map is a capital -- either state, provincial, or national.
> (For example, #50 is Washington.) 48 of them are US state
> capitals, and we're going to ask you about 10 of those.
>
> In each case, simply give the correct city number.
>
> 1. St. Paul.

28

> 2. Nashville.

56

> 3. Santa Fe.

13

3

7

> 6. Boston.

47

> 7. Baton Rouge.

53

5

> 9. Albany.

44

> 10. Trenton.

48

Richmond, Virginia

> 2. One of the Confederate states had seceded from its parent country
> once before, in 1836. Still earlier it had been Spanish and
> then French territory. Name the state.

Texas

> 3. Which territory with capital Grozny was eventually recaptured
> by Russia after several years of de facto independence in
> the 1990s?

Chechnya

> 4. Again in the former Soviet Union, a number of regions """today
> have""" de facto independence from various republics, although
> none of them """is""" officially recognized. Each of these
> territories has seceded from a different former Soviet republic:
> (1) Abkhazia; (2) Nagorno-Karabakh; (3) Transnistria, also called
> Pridnestrovie. Name *any one* of the three *parent* countries;
> you don't have to say which secessionist territory it goes with.

Georgia

> 5. This Mediterranean country was invaded in 1974 and its northern
> region was occupied. In 1983, with the support of the occupier,
> that region declared its independence and it """has been"""
> a generally unrecognized, but de facto independent, country
> ever since. Meanwhile the parent country joined the European
> Union in 2005. Name the parent country.

Cyprus

> 6. The next two questions are about Africa. The secession of this
> country """has""" left Ethopia landlocked; name it.

Djibouti

> 7. This region attempted to secede from Nigeria in 1967. It was
> rich in oil but needed to import food, and a Nigerian blockade
> starved it into submission. We need the name adopted by the
> secessionist area.

Biafra

> 8. For the last three questions we return to Europe. The secession
> of this country in, oh, about 1920 caused the full name of its
> *parent* country to be lengthened by inserting a 9th word.
> Both countries have the same predominant language; name the
> one that *seceded*.

Republic of Ireland

> 9. """Last year""", what became the last of the former Yugoslavian
> republics to separate from what is now called Serbia?

Montenegro

> 10. Czechoslovakia separated into two countries on January 1 of
> what year, within 2?

1993; 1998

Pete Gayde

Erland Sommarskog

Aug 27, 2020, 4:50:27 PM8/27/20
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> Mark Brader:
>> > Name *any one* of the three *parent* countries...
>
> Erland Sommarskog:
>> In order: Georgia, Armenia, Moldova
>
> Now he can't count to one.

Given all questions where I have not entered a single answer where I
was supposed to give at least one, I'm still below average.

> I will score this as two guesses of Georgia and Armenia.

Which will give me way too many points, given that my attempt to
show off includes a embarrassing error.

Dan Tilque

Aug 28, 2020, 12:25:27 AM8/28/20
On 8/25/20 9:18 PM, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 6, Round 6 - Geography - State Capitals
>
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/6/caps.png
>
> Please consult the handout at the above URL. *Every* city on
> the map is a capital -- either state, provincial, or national.
> (For example, #50 is Washington.) 48 of them are US state
> capitals, and we're going to ask you about 10 of those.
>
> In each case, simply give the correct city number.
>
> 1. St. Paul.

28

> 2. Nashville.

56

> 3. Santa Fe.

13

3

7

> 6. Boston.

47

> 7. Baton Rouge.

53

5

> 9. Albany.

44

> 10. Trenton.

52

> 11. If you want to show off, for fun but for no points, then give
> the *number and name* for any or all of the 6 capitals marked
> that are *not* in the US or Canada.

11 Mexicali
19 Hermosillo
20 Chihuahua
63 Nassau, Bahamas

> 12. A further question for fun, but for no points, if you like:
> name all the US state capitals and Canadian provincial (not
> territorial) capitals that are *not* on the map. You must give
> the complete list to be counted as correct.

Juneau (Alaska)
Honolulu (Hawaii)
Halifax (Nova Scotia)
Charlottetown (PEI)
St John's (Newfoundland & Labrador)

> * Game 6, Round 7 - History - Secession and Separation
>
> This round is about territories that have declared or negotiated
> their independence. We will describe this indifferently as
> seceding or separating, although in many cases their respective
> parent countries would not admit either term. In some cases the
> seceding territories were eventually recognized as independent
> countries; in others they lost a war and were reabsorbed, or to
> put it another way, they never left the parent country. There are
> also some in-between cases, where the secessionist authorities
> have retained power as a de-facto independent country, but have
> not been officially recognized as one, or have been recognized
> only by some countries.
>
> *Note*: By "parent country" we mean the one originally existing,
> whose area was diminished if the attempted separation was successful.
> In some cases we will ask for the parent country, in others the
> seceding one, or other information.

> 7 states declared their secession from the US and formed the
> Confederate States of America, and 4 others quickly joined them.
> For most of the ensuing 4 years, what was the CSA's capital city?
> You can give its name *or* just give its number on the map.

Richmond VA

> 2. One of the Confederate states had seceded from its parent country
> once before, in 1836. Still earlier it had been Spanish and
> then French territory. Name the state.

Texas

> 3. Which territory with capital Grozny was eventually recaptured
> by Russia after several years of de facto independence in
> the 1990s?

Chechnya

> 4. Again in the former Soviet Union, a number of regions """today
> have""" de facto independence from various republics, although
> none of them """is""" officially recognized. Each of these
> territories has seceded from a different former Soviet republic:
> (1) Abkhazia; (2) Nagorno-Karabakh; (3) Transnistria, also called
> Pridnestrovie. Name *any one* of the three *parent* countries;
> you don't have to say which secessionist territory it goes with.

Moldova

> 5. This Mediterranean country was invaded in 1974 and its northern
> region was occupied. In 1983, with the support of the occupier,
> that region declared its independence and it """has been"""
> a generally unrecognized, but de facto independent, country
> ever since. Meanwhile the parent country joined the European
> Union in 2005. Name the parent country.

Cyprus

> 6. The next two questions are about Africa. The secession of this
> country """has""" left Ethopia landlocked; name it.

Eritria

> 7. This region attempted to secede from Nigeria in 1967. It was
> rich in oil but needed to import food, and a Nigerian blockade
> starved it into submission. We need the name adopted by the
> secessionist area.

Biafra

> 8. For the last three questions we return to Europe. The secession
> of this country in, oh, about 1920 caused the full name of its
> *parent* country to be lengthened by inserting a 9th word.
> Both countries have the same predominant language; name the
> one that *seceded*.

Ireland

> 9. """Last year""", what became the last of the former Yugoslavian
> republics to separate from what is now called Serbia?

Montenegro

> 10. Czechoslovakia separated into two countries on January 1 of
> what year, within 2?

1992

--
Dan Tilque

Mark Brader

Aug 29, 2020, 10:30:35 PM8/29/20
Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2007-02-26,
> and should be interpreted accordingly... I will reveal the correct
> answers in about 3 days.

Oops, I seem to be a day late. Sorry about that.

> For further information... see my 2020-06-23 companion posting on
> "Reposted Questions from the Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

> I wrote both of these rounds.

> * Game 6, Round 6 - Geography - State Capitals

> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/6/caps.png

> Please consult the handout at the above URL. *Every* city on
> the map is a capital -- either state, provincial, or national.
> (For example, #50 is Washington.) 48 of them are US state
> capitals, and we're going to ask you about 10 of those.

> In each case, simply give the correct city number.

In the original game, the current-events round was the easiest one
and this was the second-easiest.

#28 (Minnesota). 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, Pete, and Dan Tilque.

#56 (Tennessee). 4 for everyone -- Joshua, Dan Blum, Erland, Pete,
and Dan Tilque.

#13 (New Mexico). 4 for everyone.

#3 (Washington). 4 for everyone.

#7 (Idaho). 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, Pete, and Dan Tilque.

#47 (Massachusetts). 4 for everyone.

#53 (Louisiana). 4 for everyone.

#5 (California). 4 for everyone.

#44 (New York). 4 for everyone.

#48 (New Jersey). 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, Erland, and Pete.

> 11. If you want to show off, for fun but for no points, then give
> the *number and name* for any or all of the 6 capitals marked
> that are *not* in the US or Canada.

Dan Tilque got 4 of the 6.

The complete list is:
USA | 33. Indianapolis IN | 61. Richmond VA
3. Olympia WA | 34. Frankfort KY | 62. Tallahassee FL
4. Salem OR | 35. Columbus OH |
5. Sacramento CA | 36. Charleston WV | Canada
6. Carson City NV | 40. Montpelier VT | 1. Edmonton AB
7. Boise ID | 41. Augusta ME | 2. Victoria BC
8. Salt Lake City UT | 43. Concord NH | 10. Regina SK
9. Helena MT | 44. Albany NY | 18. Winnipeg MB
12. Phoenix AZ | 45. Hartford CT | 37. Toronto ON
13. Santa Fe NM | 46. Providence RI | 38. Ottawa (ON)
14. Denver CO | 47. Boston MA | 39. Quebec QC
15. Cheyenne WY | 48. Trenton NJ | 42. Fredericton NB
16. Pierre SD | 49. Harrisburg PA |
17. Bismarck ND | 50. Washington (DC) | Mexico
23. Austin TX | 51. Annapolis MD | 11. Mexicali, B.C.
24. Oklahoma City OK | 52. Dover DE | 19. Hermosillo, Son.
25. Topeka KS | 53. Baton Rouge LA | 20. Chihuahua, Chih.
26. Lincoln NE | 54. Jackson MS | 21. Saltillo, Coah.
27. Des Moines IA | 55. Little Rock AR | 22. Monterrey, N.L.
28. St. Paul MN | 56. Nashville TN |
29. Madison WI | 57. Montgomery AL | Bahamas
30. Jefferson City MO | 58. Atlanta GA | 63. Nassau
31. Springfield IL | 59. Columbia SC |
32. Lansing MI | 60. Raleigh NC |

> 12. A further question for fun, but for no points, if you like:
> name all the US state capitals and Canadian provincial (not
> territorial) capitals that are *not* on the map. You must give
> the complete list to be counted as correct.

Dan Tilque got this. There are 5:

USA
Honolulu HI
Juneau AK
Canada
Charlottetown PE
Halifax NS
St. John's NL

> * Game 6, Round 7 - History - Secession and Separation

> This round is about territories that have declared or negotiated
> their independence. We will describe this indifferently as
> seceding or separating, although in many cases their respective
> parent countries would not admit either term. In some cases the
> seceding territories were eventually recognized as independent
> countries; in others they lost a war and were reabsorbed, or to
> put it another way, they never left the parent country. There are
> also some in-between cases, where the secessionist authorities
> have retained power as a de-facto independent country, but have
> not been officially recognized as one, or have been recognized
> only by some countries.

> *Note*: By "parent country" we mean the one originally existing,
> whose area was diminished if the attempted separation was successful.
> In some cases we will ask for the parent country, in others the
> seceding one, or other information.

> 7 states declared their secession from the US and formed the
> Confederate States of America, and 4 others quickly joined them.
> For most of the ensuing 4 years, what was the CSA's capital city?
> You can give its name *or* just give its number on the map.

Richmond (Virginia), #61. Yes, that close to the enemy capital!
4 for everyone.

This question was why I changed the order of the rounds -- it was
so that both rounds using the handout would come up in the same set.

> 2. One of the Confederate states had seceded from its parent country
> once before, in 1836. Still earlier it had been Spanish and
> then French territory. Name the state.

Texas (seceded from Mexico first; joined the US in 1845).
4 for everyone.

> 3. Which territory with capital Grozny was eventually recaptured
> by Russia after several years of de facto independence in
> the 1990s?

Chechnya. 4 for everyone.

> 4. Again in the former Soviet Union, a number of regions """today
> have""" de facto independence from various republics, although
> none of them """is""" officially recognized. Each of these
> territories has seceded from a different former Soviet republic:
> (1) Abkhazia; (2) Nagorno-Karabakh; (3) Transnistria, also called
> Pridnestrovie. Name *any one* of the three *parent* countries;
> you don't have to say which secessionist territory it goes with.

Georgia, Azerbaijan, Moldova (respectively). (All still true at
least to some extent, but Nagorno-Karabakh is now named Artsakh.)
4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, Pete, and Dan Tilque. 3 for Erland.

> 5. This Mediterranean country was invaded in 1974 and its northern
> region was occupied. In 1983, with the support of the occupier,
> that region declared its independence and it """has been"""
> a generally unrecognized, but de facto independent, country
> ever since. Meanwhile the parent country joined the European
> Union in 2005. Name the parent country.

Cyprus. (Seceding: the Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus.
Still true.) 4 for Joshua, Erland, Pete, and Dan Tilque.

> 6. The next two questions are about Africa. The secession of this
> country """has""" left Ethopia landlocked; name it.

Eritrea. (Still true.) 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, Erland,
and Dan Tilque.

> 7. This region attempted to secede from Nigeria in 1967. It was
> rich in oil but needed to import food, and a Nigerian blockade
> starved it into submission. We need the name adopted by the
> secessionist area.

Biafra. 4 for everyone.

> 8. For the last three questions we return to Europe. The secession
> of this country in, oh, about 1920 caused the full name of its
> *parent* country to be lengthened by inserting a 9th word.
> Both countries have the same predominant language; name the
> one that *seceded*.

Ireland (accepting Republic of Ireland, Éire, Irish Free State, or
even Southern Ireland; parent The United Kingdom of Great Britain
and -- now -- *Northern* Ireland). 4 for everyone.

> 9. """Last year""", what became the last of the former Yugoslavian
> republics to separate from what is now called Serbia?

Montenegro. 4 for everyone.

> 10. Czechoslovakia separated into two countries on January 1 of
> what year, within 2?

1993 (accepting 1991-95). 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, Erland,
and Dan Tilque. 3 for Pete.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 6 ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 9 6 7 BEST
TOPICS-> Ent Sci Lit Mis Geo His FOUR
Joshua Kreitzer 20 32 24 35 40 40 147
Dan Blum 12 32 32 15 40 36 140
Pete Gayde 24 16 0 27 40 35 126
Dan Tilque 0 32 8 12 36 40 120
Erland Sommarskog 0 16 0 4 32 39 91
Bruce Bowler 8 36 -- -- -- -- 44

--
Mark Brader | "And don't forget there were five separate computers
m...@vex.net | in those days."