QFTCISG Game 5, Rounds 4,6: expressionism, World Series

Mark Brader

Nov 15, 2017, 12:39:55 AM11/15/17
These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2017-10-23,
and should be interpreted accordingly.

Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

All questions were written by members of Smith & Guessin' and are
used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information see
my 2017-09-25 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

* Game 5, Round 4 - Arts - Expressionist Picture

Expressionism was a modernist movement, initially in poetry and
painting, originating in Germany at the beginning of the 20th
century. Please see the 2-page handout at:

http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/g5r4/expr.pdf

For questions #1-5 we will give the picture number and the title
and date, and you must provide the name of the painter.

1. Picture #3, "The Scream" (1893).
2. Picture #11, "Color Study" (1913).
3. Picture #13, "Twittering Machine" (1922).
4. Picture #7, "The Intrigue" (1896).
5. Picture #1, self-portrait (1973).

After completing #1-5, please decode the rot13 for #6-10. This time
we'll give the artist's name, nationality, and lifespan, and you
must tell us which picture he made.

6. Bfxne Xbxbfpuxn, Nhfgevna (1886-1980).
7. Rzvy Abyqr, Trezna (1867-1956).
8. Znep Puntnyy, Ehffvna (1887-1985).
9. Bggb Qvk, Trezna (1891-1969).
10. Reafg Yhqjvt Xvepuare, Trezna (1880-1938).

And if you like, for fun but for no points, after completing the
round decode the rot13 to answer in the same way for the 3 decoys:

11. Znk Crpufgrva, Trezna (1891-1955).
12. Senam Znep, Trezna (1880-1916).
13. Nhthfg Znpxr, Trezna (1887-1914).

* Game 5, Round 6 - Sports - The World Series

The Series starts this week. What else did you expect?

Note: if any of the facts have changed since the original game,
I will accept answers that were correct on the original game date.
Also, in all cases where a team name is asked for, give the current
full name, e.g. "New York Yankees".

1. The Most Valuable Player award for the World Series has a
new name this year. It was recently renamed in honor of a Hall
of Fame outfielder who is 5th on the all-time home-run list.
Name this player, who appeared in 4 World Series but was on
the winning side only once.

2. The attendance record for a World Series game was set in 1959,
when the Los Angeles Dodgers played the Chicago White Sox at
the L.A. Coliseum. Within 5,000, how many people attended
Game 5 of that series?

3. The New York Yankees have won a record 27 World Series titles.
Which team is second with 11 championships?

4. Currently there are only two teams that have never played in
a World Series. Name either one.

5. There are six teams that have reached the World Series, but
have never won. Name any one.

6. Many fans consider Game 6 of the 1975 Series between Boston and
Cincinnati the greatest World Series game ever. Name the Red
Sox catcher who provided the final thrill with a 12th-inning
home run off the left-field foul pole at Fenway Park.

7. Only two managers have won World Series with teams in both
major leagues. One did it in the 1970s and '80s, while the
other accomplished his feat in 1989 and 2011. Name either.

8. What World Series record is shared by this quartet: Babe Ruth,
Reggie Jackson, Albert Pujols ["POO-holes"], Pablo Sandoval?

9. Which New York Yankee Hall of Famer won a record 10 World Series
championships as a player? Hint: They came between 1947
and 1962.

10. Name either of the two Toronto Blue Jays who were named World
Series MVPs in 1992 and 1993.

--
Mark Brader | "One of these days I'll have to use that ... without the
Toronto | awkward brackets, so that you can quote it that way, too."

Dan Blum

Nov 15, 2017, 8:29:09 AM11/15/17
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 5, Round 4 - Arts - Expressionist Picture

> 1. Picture #3, "The Scream" (1893).

Munch

> 2. Picture #11, "Color Study" (1913).

Kandinsky

> 3. Picture #13, "Twittering Machine" (1922).

Arp; Miro

> 6. Bfxne Xbxbfpuxn, Nhfgevna (1886-1980).

10; 8

> 7. Rzvy Abyqr, Trezna (1867-1956).

5; 9

2

> 9. Bggb Qvk, Trezna (1891-1969).

4; 12

> 10. Reafg Yhqjvt Xvepuare, Trezna (1880-1938).

8; 9

> * Game 5, Round 6 - Sports - The World Series

> 2. The attendance record for a World Series game was set in 1959,
> when the Los Angeles Dodgers played the Chicago White Sox at
> the L.A. Coliseum. Within 5,000, how many people attended
> Game 5 of that series?

73,000

> 3. The New York Yankees have won a record 27 World Series titles.
> Which team is second with 11 championships?

San Francisco Giants; Los Angeles Dodgers

> 4. Currently there are only two teams that have never played in
> a World Series. Name either one.

Oakland As

> 5. There are six teams that have reached the World Series, but
> have never won. Name any one.

Arizona Diamondbacks

> 9. Which New York Yankee Hall of Famer won a record 10 World Series
> championships as a player? Hint: They came between 1947
> and 1962.

Mickey Mantle

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Marc Dashevsky

Nov 15, 2017, 12:58:48 PM11/15/17
In article <3v2dnU-B6Zi7TpbH...@giganews.com>, m...@vex.net says...
> * Game 5, Round 4 - Arts - Expressionist Picture
>
> Expressionism was a modernist movement, initially in poetry and
> painting, originating in Germany at the beginning of the 20th
> century. Please see the 2-page handout at:
>
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/g5r4/expr.pdf
>
> For questions #1-5 we will give the picture number and the title
> and date, and you must provide the name of the painter.
>
> 1. Picture #3, "The Scream" (1893).
Munch

> 2. Picture #11, "Color Study" (1913).
Kandinsky

> 3. Picture #13, "Twittering Machine" (1922).
Klee

4

> 9. Otto Dix, German (1891-1969).
> 10. Ernst Ludwig Kirchner, German (1880-1938).
>
> And if you like, for fun but for no points, after completing the
> round decode the rot13 to answer in the same way for the 3 decoys:
>
> 11. Znk Crpufgrva, Trezna (1891-1955).
> 12. Senam Znep, Trezna (1880-1916).
> 13. Nhthfg Znpxr, Trezna (1887-1914).
>

> * Game 5, Round 6 - Sports - The World Series
>
> The Series starts this week. What else did you expect?
>
> Note: if any of the facts have changed since the original game,
> I will accept answers that were correct on the original game date.
> Also, in all cases where a team name is asked for, give the current
> full name, e.g. "New York Yankees".
>
> 1. The Most Valuable Player award for the World Series has a
> new name this year. It was recently renamed in honor of a Hall
> of Fame outfielder who is 5th on the all-time home-run list.
> Name this player, who appeared in 4 World Series but was on
> the winning side only once.
>
> 2. The attendance record for a World Series game was set in 1959,
> when the Los Angeles Dodgers played the Chicago White Sox at
> the L.A. Coliseum. Within 5,000, how many people attended
> Game 5 of that series?
86,000

> 3. The New York Yankees have won a record 27 World Series titles.
> Which team is second with 11 championships?
St. Louis Cardinals

> 4. Currently there are only two teams that have never played in
> a World Series. Name either one.
Washington Nationals

> 5. There are six teams that have reached the World Series, but
> have never won. Name any one.
Milwaukee Brewers

> 6. Many fans consider Game 6 of the 1975 Series between Boston and
> Cincinnati the greatest World Series game ever. Name the Red
> Sox catcher who provided the final thrill with a 12th-inning
> home run off the left-field foul pole at Fenway Park.
Carlton Fisk

> 7. Only two managers have won World Series with teams in both
> major leagues. One did it in the 1970s and '80s, while the
> other accomplished his feat in 1989 and 2011. Name either.
>
> 8. What World Series record is shared by this quartet: Babe Ruth,
> Reggie Jackson, Albert Pujols ["POO-holes"], Pablo Sandoval?
hitting three homeruns in a game

> 9. Which New York Yankee Hall of Famer won a record 10 World Series
> championships as a player? Hint: They came between 1947
> and 1962.
Mickey Mantle

> 10. Name either of the two Toronto Blue Jays who were named World
> Series MVPs in 1992 and 1993.

---
http://www.avg.com

Gareth Owen

Nov 15, 2017, 2:08:49 PM11/15/17
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) writes:

> * Game 5, Round 4 - Arts - Expressionist Picture
>
> Expressionism was a modernist movement, initially in poetry and
> painting, originating in Germany at the beginning of the 20th
> century. Please see the 2-page handout at:
>
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/g5r4/expr.pdf
>
> For questions #1-5 we will give the picture number and the title
> and date, and you must provide the name of the painter.
>
> 1. Picture #3, "The Scream" (1893).

Munch

> 2. Picture #11, "Color Study" (1913).

Braque

> 3. Picture #13, "Twittering Machine" (1922).

Dali, Braque

> 4. Picture #7, "The Intrigue" (1896).

Dali, Braque

> 5. Picture #1, self-portrait (1973).

Dali, Braque

> After completing #1-5, please decode the rot13 for #6-10. This time
> we'll give the artist's name, nationality, and lifespan, and you
> must tell us which picture he made.
>
> 6. Bfxne Xbxbfpuxn, Nhfgevna (1886-1980).
> 7. Rzvy Abyqr, Trezna (1867-1956).
> 8. Znep Puntnyy, Ehffvna (1887-1985).
> 9. Bggb Qvk, Trezna (1891-1969).
> 10. Reafg Yhqjvt Xvepuare, Trezna (1880-1938).

Pass

> * Game 5, Round 6 - Sports - The World Series
>
> The Series starts this week. What else did you expect?
>
> Note: if any of the facts have changed since the original game,
> I will accept answers that were correct on the original game date.
> Also, in all cases where a team name is asked for, give the current
> full name, e.g. "New York Yankees".
>
> 1. The Most Valuable Player award for the World Series has a
> new name this year. It was recently renamed in honor of a Hall
> of Fame outfielder who is 5th on the all-time home-run list.
> Name this player, who appeared in 4 World Series but was on
> the winning side only once.

Willie Mays

> 2. The attendance record for a World Series game was set in 1959,
> when the Los Angeles Dodgers played the Chicago White Sox at
> the L.A. Coliseum. Within 5,000, how many people attended
> Game 5 of that series?

87500

> 3. The New York Yankees have won a record 27 World Series titles.
> Which team is second with 11 championships?

Cardinals

> 4. Currently there are only two teams that have never played in
> a World Series. Name either one.

My Seattle Mariners (also, the Expos/Nationals, I think)

> 5. There are six teams that have reached the World Series, but
> have never won. Name any one.

Tampa Bay Rays

[plus ... Padres, Rockies, Brewers, Rangers, ... and someone else I
can't pin down]

> 6. Many fans consider Game 6 of the 1975 Series between Boston and
> Cincinnati the greatest World Series game ever. Name the Red
> Sox catcher who provided the final thrill with a 12th-inning
> home run off the left-field foul pole at Fenway Park.

Carlton Fisk

> 7. Only two managers have won World Series with teams in both
> major leagues. One did it in the 1970s and '80s, while the
> other accomplished his feat in 1989 and 2011. Name either.

Buck Showalter

> 8. What World Series record is shared by this quartet: Babe Ruth,
> Reggie Jackson, Albert Pujols ["POO-holes"], Pablo Sandoval?

Most homers in a single game

> 9. Which New York Yankee Hall of Famer won a record 10 World Series
> championships as a player? Hint: They came between 1947
> and 1962.

Yogi Berra

> 10. Name either of the two Toronto Blue Jays who were named World
> Series MVPs in 1992 and 1993.

Joe Carter, Gary Carter

Erland Sommarskog

Nov 15, 2017, 3:19:06 PM11/15/17
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> 1. Picture #3, "The Scream" (1893).

Edvard Munch

> 4. Picture #7, "The Intrigue" (1896).

Gauguin

Calvin

Nov 15, 2017, 5:59:05 PM11/15/17
On Wednesday, November 15, 2017 at 3:39:55 PM UTC+10, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 5, Round 4 - Arts - Expressionist Picture

> 1. Picture #3, "The Scream" (1893).

Munch

> 2. Picture #11, "Color Study" (1913).

Kandinsky, Mondrian

> 3. Picture #13, "Twittering Machine" (1922).

Beardsley?

> 4. Picture #7, "The Intrigue" (1896).

Renoir?

> 5. Picture #1, self-portrait (1973).

Freud?

> 6. Bfxne Xbxbfpuxn, Nhfgevna (1886-1980).

5, 6

> 7. Rzvy Abyqr, Trezna (1867-1956).

5, 6

> 8. Znep Puntnyy, Ehffvna (1887-1985).

4

> 9. Bggb Qvk, Trezna (1891-1969).

5, 6

> 10. Reafg Yhqjvt Xvepuare, Trezna (1880-1938).

5, 6

> * Game 5, Round 6 - Sports - The World Series
>
> The Series starts this week. What else did you expect?
>
> Note: if any of the facts have changed since the original game,
> I will accept answers that were correct on the original game date.
> Also, in all cases where a team name is asked for, give the current
> full name, e.g. "New York Yankees".
>
> 1. The Most Valuable Player award for the World Series has a
> new name this year. It was recently renamed in honor of a Hall
> of Fame outfielder who is 5th on the all-time home-run list.
> Name this player, who appeared in 4 World Series but was on
> the winning side only once.
>
> 2. The attendance record for a World Series game was set in 1959,
> when the Los Angeles Dodgers played the Chicago White Sox at
> the L.A. Coliseum. Within 5,000, how many people attended
> Game 5 of that series?

101,000; 112,000

> 3. The New York Yankees have won a record 27 World Series titles.
> Which team is second with 11 championships?

St Louis Cardinals

> 4. Currently there are only two teams that have never played in
> a World Series. Name either one.

Colorado Rockies, Pittsburgh Pirates

> 5. There are six teams that have reached the World Series, but
> have never won. Name any one.

Houston Astros

> 6. Many fans consider Game 6 of the 1975 Series between Boston and
> Cincinnati the greatest World Series game ever. Name the Red
> Sox catcher who provided the final thrill with a 12th-inning
> home run off the left-field foul pole at Fenway Park.
>
> 7. Only two managers have won World Series with teams in both
> major leagues. One did it in the 1970s and '80s, while the
> other accomplished his feat in 1989 and 2011. Name either.

Rose?

> 8. What World Series record is shared by this quartet: Babe Ruth,
> Reggie Jackson, Albert Pujols ["POO-holes"], Pablo Sandoval?
>
> 9. Which New York Yankee Hall of Famer won a record 10 World Series
> championships as a player? Hint: They came between 1947
> and 1962.
>
> 10. Name either of the two Toronto Blue Jays who were named World
> Series MVPs in 1992 and 1993.

cheers,
calvin

Joshua Kreitzer

Nov 16, 2017, 12:25:17 AM11/16/17
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:3v2dnU-B6Zi7TpbHnZ2dnUU7-
TfN...@giganews.com:

> * Game 5, Round 4 - Arts - Expressionist Picture
>
> Expressionism was a modernist movement, initially in poetry and
> painting, originating in Germany at the beginning of the 20th
> century. Please see the 2-page handout at:
>
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/g5r4/expr.pdf
>
> For questions #1-5 we will give the picture number and the title
> and date, and you must provide the name of the painter.
>
> 1. Picture #3, "The Scream" (1893).

Munch

> 2. Picture #11, "Color Study" (1913).

Klee

> 3. Picture #13, "Twittering Machine" (1922).

Klee

> 4. Picture #7, "The Intrigue" (1896).

Klee

> 5. Picture #1, self-portrait (1973).

Klee

> After completing #1-5, please decode the rot13 for #6-10. This time
> we'll give the artist's name, nationality, and lifespan, and you
> must tell us which picture he made.
>
> 6. Bfxne Xbxbfpuxn, Nhfgevna (1886-1980).

2; 5

> 7. Rzvy Abyqr, Trezna (1867-1956).

2; 5

> 8. Znep Puntnyy, Ehffvna (1887-1985).

4

> 9. Bggb Qvk, Trezna (1891-1969).

2; 5

> 10. Reafg Yhqjvt Xvepuare, Trezna (1880-1938).

2; 5

> * Game 5, Round 6 - Sports - The World Series
>
> The Series starts this week. What else did you expect?
>
> Note: if any of the facts have changed since the original game,
> I will accept answers that were correct on the original game date.
> Also, in all cases where a team name is asked for, give the current
> full name, e.g. "New York Yankees".
>
> 1. The Most Valuable Player award for the World Series has a
> new name this year. It was recently renamed in honor of a Hall
> of Fame outfielder who is 5th on the all-time home-run list.
> Name this player, who appeared in 4 World Series but was on
> the winning side only once.

Willie Mays

> 2. The attendance record for a World Series game was set in 1959,
> when the Los Angeles Dodgers played the Chicago White Sox at
> the L.A. Coliseum. Within 5,000, how many people attended
> Game 5 of that series?

95,000

> 3. The New York Yankees have won a record 27 World Series titles.
> Which team is second with 11 championships?

St. Louis Cardinals

> 4. Currently there are only two teams that have never played in
> a World Series. Name either one.

Seattle Mariners

> 5. There are six teams that have reached the World Series, but
> have never won. Name any one.

Tampa Bay Rays

> 6. Many fans consider Game 6 of the 1975 Series between Boston and
> Cincinnati the greatest World Series game ever. Name the Red
> Sox catcher who provided the final thrill with a 12th-inning
> home run off the left-field foul pole at Fenway Park.

Carlton Fisk

> 7. Only two managers have won World Series with teams in both
> major leagues. One did it in the 1970s and '80s, while the
> other accomplished his feat in 1989 and 2011. Name either.

Sparky Anderson

> 8. What World Series record is shared by this quartet: Babe Ruth,
> Reggie Jackson, Albert Pujols ["POO-holes"], Pablo Sandoval?

most home runs (3) in one World Series game

> 9. Which New York Yankee Hall of Famer won a record 10 World Series
> championships as a player? Hint: They came between 1947
> and 1962.

Yogi Berra

> 10. Name either of the two Toronto Blue Jays who were named World
> Series MVPs in 1992 and 1993.

Joe Carter

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

Pete Gayde

Nov 16, 2017, 1:06:34 AM11/16/17
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:3v2dnU-B6Zi7TpbHnZ2dnUU7-
TfN...@giganews.com:

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2017-10-23,

> Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of Smith & Guessin' and are
> used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
> been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information see
> my 2017-09-25 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 5, Round 4 - Arts - Expressionist Picture
>
> Expressionism was a modernist movement, initially in poetry and
> painting, originating in Germany at the beginning of the 20th
> century. Please see the 2-page handout at:
>
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/g5r4/expr.pdf
>
> For questions #1-5 we will give the picture number and the title
> and date, and you must provide the name of the painter.
>
> 1. Picture #3, "The Scream" (1893).

Munch

> 2. Picture #11, "Color Study" (1913).

Mondrian

> 3. Picture #13, "Twittering Machine" (1922).
> 4. Picture #7, "The Intrigue" (1896).
> 5. Picture #1, self-portrait (1973).

Klee

> After completing #1-5, please decode the rot13 for #6-10. This time
> we'll give the artist's name, nationality, and lifespan, and you
> must tell us which picture he made.
>
> 6. Bfxne Xbxbfpuxn, Nhfgevna (1886-1980).

2; 4

> 7. Rzvy Abyqr, Trezna (1867-1956).

5; 6

> 8. Znep Puntnyy, Ehffvna (1887-1985).

10; 12

> 9. Bggb Qvk, Trezna (1891-1969).

8; 12

9

> And if you like, for fun but for no points, after completing the
> round decode the rot13 to answer in the same way for the 3 decoys:
>
> 11. Znk Crpufgrva, Trezna (1891-1955).
> 12. Senam Znep, Trezna (1880-1916).
> 13. Nhthfg Znpxr, Trezna (1887-1914).
>

> * Game 5, Round 6 - Sports - The World Series
>
> The Series starts this week. What else did you expect?
>
> Note: if any of the facts have changed since the original game,
> I will accept answers that were correct on the original game date.
> Also, in all cases where a team name is asked for, give the current
> full name, e.g. "New York Yankees".
>
> 1. The Most Valuable Player award for the World Series has a
> new name this year. It was recently renamed in honor of a Hall
> of Fame outfielder who is 5th on the all-time home-run list.
> Name this player, who appeared in 4 World Series but was on
> the winning side only once.

Willie Mays

> 2. The attendance record for a World Series game was set in 1959,
> when the Los Angeles Dodgers played the Chicago White Sox at
> the L.A. Coliseum. Within 5,000, how many people attended
> Game 5 of that series?

85,000; 95,000

> 3. The New York Yankees have won a record 27 World Series titles.
> Which team is second with 11 championships?

St Louis Cardinals

> 4. Currently there are only two teams that have never played in
> a World Series. Name either one.

Washington Nationals

> 5. There are six teams that have reached the World Series, but
> have never won. Name any one.

Colorado Rockies

> 6. Many fans consider Game 6 of the 1975 Series between Boston and
> Cincinnati the greatest World Series game ever. Name the Red
> Sox catcher who provided the final thrill with a 12th-inning
> home run off the left-field foul pole at Fenway Park.

Carlton Fisk

> 7. Only two managers have won World Series with teams in both
> major leagues. One did it in the 1970s and '80s, while the
> other accomplished his feat in 1989 and 2011. Name either.

Sparky Anderson

> 8. What World Series record is shared by this quartet: Babe Ruth,
> Reggie Jackson, Albert Pujols ["POO-holes"], Pablo Sandoval?

Hit 3 home runs in 1 game

> 9. Which New York Yankee Hall of Famer won a record 10 World Series
> championships as a player? Hint: They came between 1947
> and 1962.

Yogi Berra

> 10. Name either of the two Toronto Blue Jays who were named World
> Series MVPs in 1992 and 1993.

Carter

Pete Gayde

Gareth Owen

Nov 16, 2017, 1:11:27 AM11/16/17
Gareth Owen <gwo...@gmail.com> writes:

>> 4. Currently there are only two teams that have never played in
>> a World Series. Name either one.
>
> My Seattle Mariners (also, the Expos/Nationals, I think)
>
>> 5. There are six teams that have reached the World Series, but
>> have never won. Name any one.
>
> Tampa Bay Rays
>
> [plus ... Padres, Rockies, Brewers, Rangers, ... and someone else I
> can't pin down]

Heh ... Houston Astros. Sometimes these things go out of date quick :)

Mark Brader

Nov 16, 2017, 1:28:38 AM11/16/17
Mark Brader:
> > 1. Picture #3, "The Scream" (1893).

Joshua Kreitzer:
> Munch
>
> > 2. Picture #11, "Color Study" (1913).
>
> Klee
>
> > 3. Picture #13, "Twittering Machine" (1922).
>
> Klee
>
> > 4. Picture #7, "The Intrigue" (1896).
>
> Klee
>
> > 5. Picture #1, self-portrait (1973).
>
> Klee

For a moment it seemed as though we would all be Munched, but then the
All Kleer was sounded.
--
Mark Brader "Male got pregnant -- on the first try."
Toronto Newsweek article on high-tech conception

Mark Brader

Nov 18, 2017, 1:26:39 AM11/18/17
Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2017-10-23,
> see my 2017-09-25 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

> * Game 5, Round 4 - Arts - Expressionist Picture

> Expressionism was a modernist movement, initially in poetry and
> painting, originating in Germany at the beginning of the 20th
> century. Please see the 2-page handout at:

> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/g5r4/expr.pdf

> For questions #1-5 we will give the picture number and the title
> and date, and you must provide the name of the painter.

> 1. Picture #3, "The Scream" (1893).

Edvard Munch. 4 for everyone -- Dan, Marc, Gareth, Erland, Calvin,
Joshua, and Pete.

> 2. Picture #11, "Color Study" (1913).

Wassily Kandinsky. 4 for Dan and Marc. 3 for Calvin.

> 3. Picture #13, "Twittering Machine" (1922).

Paul Klee. 4 for Marc and Joshua.

> 4. Picture #7, "The Intrigue" (1896).

James Ensor.

> 5. Picture #1, self-portrait (1973).

Francis Bacon.

#5, self-portrait (1918/19). 3 for Calvin. 2 for Joshua.

#8, "Young Couple" (1935).

#2, "To My Betrothed" (1911). 4 for Dan.

#9. "Apotheosis" (1919).

#10, "Bathers on the Lawn" (date not available).

> And if you like, for fun but for no points, after completing the
> round decode the rot13 to answer in the same way for the 3 decoys:

Nobody tried these.

#6, "Bank of a Lake" (1910).

#4, "Yellow Cow" (1911).

#12, "Girl with a Yellow Jacket" (1913).

> * Game 5, Round 6 - Sports - The World Series

> The Series starts this week. What else did you expect?

> Note: if any of the facts have changed since the original game,
> I will accept answers that were correct on the original game date.

Only one relevant fact changed, as noted below.

> Also, in all cases where a team name is asked for, give the current
> full name, e.g. "New York Yankees".

> 1. The Most Valuable Player award for the World Series has a
> new name this year. It was recently renamed in honor of a Hall
> of Fame outfielder who is 5th on the all-time home-run list.
> Name this player, who appeared in 4 World Series but was on
> the winning side only once.

Willie Mays. 4 for Gareth, Joshua, and Pete.

> 2. The attendance record for a World Series game was set in 1959,
> when the Los Angeles Dodgers played the Chicago White Sox at
> the L.A. Coliseum. Within 5,000, how many people attended
> Game 5 of that series?

92,706 (accepting 87,706-97,706). 4 for Joshua. 2 for Pete.

> 3. The New York Yankees have won a record 27 World Series titles.
> Which team is second with 11 championships?

St. Louis Cardinals. 4 for Marc, Calvin, Joshua, and Pete.

> 4. Currently there are only two teams that have never played in
> a World Series. Name either one.

Seattle Mariners, Washington Nationals. 4 for Marc, Gareth, Joshua,
and Pete.

> 5. There are six teams that have reached the World Series, but
> have never won. Name any one.

Colorado Rockies, Houston Astros (no longer correct, but accepted),
Milwaukee Brewers, San Diego Padres, Tampa Bay Rays, Texas Rangers.
4 for Marc, Gareth, Calvin, Joshua, and Pete.

> 6. Many fans consider Game 6 of the 1975 Series between Boston and
> Cincinnati the greatest World Series game ever. Name the Red
> Sox catcher who provided the final thrill with a 12th-inning
> home run off the left-field foul pole at Fenway Park.

Carlton Fisk. 4 for Marc, Gareth, Joshua, and Pete.

> 7. Only two managers have won World Series with teams in both
> major leagues. One did it in the 1970s and '80s, while the
> other accomplished his feat in 1989 and 2011. Name either.

George "Sparky" Anderson (Cincinnati Reds, Detroit Tigers); Tony
LaRussa (Oakland A's, St. Louis Cardinals). 4 for Joshua and Pete.

> 8. What World Series record is shared by this quartet: Babe Ruth,
> Reggie Jackson, Albert Pujols ["POO-holes"], Pablo Sandoval?

Most home runs in one game (3). 4 for Marc, Gareth, Joshua, and Pete.

> 9. Which New York Yankee Hall of Famer won a record 10 World Series
> championships as a player? Hint: They came between 1947
> and 1962.

Yogi Berra. 4 for Gareth, Joshua, and Pete.

> 10. Name either of the two Toronto Blue Jays who were named World
> Series MVPs in 1992 and 1993.

Pat Borders, Paul Molitor.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 5 ROUNDS-> 2 3 5 6 TOTALS
TOPICS-> His Geo Art Spo
Joshua Kreitzer 33 26 10 36 105
Pete Gayde 16 30 4 34 84
Marc Dashevsky 12 32 12 20 76
Dan Tilque 40 32 -- -- 72
Dan Blum 26 31 12 0 69
Peter Smyth 23 29 -- -- 52
Erland Sommarskog 20 24 4 0 48
"Calvin" 21 0 10 8 39
Gareth Owen -- -- 4 24 28
Jason Kreitzer 8 12 -- -- 20

--
Mark Brader | "Of course, another problem... is that famous quotations
Toronto | mutate faster than you'd expect."

Dan Tilque

Nov 18, 2017, 4:38:06 AM11/18/17
Forget to log into email for a couple days and this entire quiz passes
me by.

Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 5, Round 4 - Arts - Expressionist Picture
>
> Expressionism was a modernist movement, initially in poetry and
> painting, originating in Germany at the beginning of the 20th
> century. Please see the 2-page handout at:
>
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/g5r4/expr.pdf
>
> For questions #1-5 we will give the picture number and the title
> and date, and you must provide the name of the painter.
>
> 1. Picture #3, "The Scream" (1893).

Edvard Munch
Mays

> 2. The attendance record for a World Series game was set in 1959,
> when the Los Angeles Dodgers played the Chicago White Sox at
> the L.A. Coliseum. Within 5,000, how many people attended
> Game 5 of that series?
>
> 3. The New York Yankees have won a record 27 World Series titles.
> Which team is second with 11 championships?

Los Angeles Dodgers

> 4. Currently there are only two teams that have never played in
> a World Series. Name either one.

Seattle Mariners

> 5. There are six teams that have reached the World Series, but
> have never won. Name any one.

Texas Rangers

> 6. Many fans consider Game 6 of the 1975 Series between Boston and
> Cincinnati the greatest World Series game ever. Name the Red
> Sox catcher who provided the final thrill with a 12th-inning
> home run off the left-field foul pole at Fenway Park.

Johnny Bench

> 7. Only two managers have won World Series with teams in both
> major leagues. One did it in the 1970s and '80s, while the
> other accomplished his feat in 1989 and 2011. Name either.

Billy Martin

> 8. What World Series record is shared by this quartet: Babe Ruth,
> Reggie Jackson, Albert Pujols ["POO-holes"], Pablo Sandoval?

most home runs in a single game

> 9. Which New York Yankee Hall of Famer won a record 10 World Series
> championships as a player? Hint: They came between 1947
> and 1962.

Joe DiMaggio

> 10. Name either of the two Toronto Blue Jays who were named World
> Series MVPs in 1992 and 1993.

Olerud

--
Dan Tilque

Mark Brader

Nov 18, 2017, 6:35:58 AM11/18/17
Dan Tilque:
> Forget to log into email for a couple days and this entire quiz passes
> me by.

Well, if you're reading Usenet by email...

If Dan's answers had been posted on time, he would have scored
4 points on Round 4 and 16 on Round 6.
--
Mark Brader "This is... a film... almost without explosions."
Toronto, m...@vex.net --Mark Leeper

Dan Tilque

Nov 20, 2017, 2:48:08 PM11/20/17
Mark Brader wrote:
> Dan Tilque:
>> Forget to log into email for a couple days and this entire quiz passes
>> me by.
>
> Well, if you're reading Usenet by email...

I read Usenet with my email reader. But I'm lazy and still use my old
computer to do so. Just haven't gotten around to moving it to my new
computer.

--
Dan Tilque