RQFTCI07 Game 6 Rounds 2-3: NYC clubs, recently extinct

Mark Brader

Aug 20, 2020, 12:04:42 AM8/20/20
These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2007-02-26,
and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
by members of the Usual Suspects, but have been reformatted and
may have been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the
correct answers in about 3 days.

For further information, including an explanation of the """
notation that may appear in these rounds, see my 2020-06-23
companion posting on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

I did not write either of these rounds.

* Game 6, Round 2 - Entertainment - New York City Clubs

In each case, name the club. Except as noted, *full names*
are required.

1. It was in the Bowery district of Manhattan, and operated
1973-2006. Many famous punk and new wave acts played there,
including the Talking Heads, Blondie, and the Ramones. The short
name is okay.

2. A favorite spot of Andy Warhol's entourage, it was open 1965-74,
then 1975-81. The Velvet Underground played their last shows
with Lou Reed there. It was home base for the short-lived
glitter rock scene, and also one of the birthplaces of punk
rock in the 70s.

3. 254 W. 54 St. Open 1977-86, it was operated by Steve Rubell.
Previously a radio and TV soundstage, it was the model for the
club featured in the movie "The Last Days of Disco".

4. This jazz club in a dark basement in Greenwich Village has been
open since 1935. Over a hundred jazz albums have been recorded
at the venue, including ones by Bill Evans and John Coltrane
in 1961.

5. Originally a burlesque and vaudeville house, after 1934
it played a major role in Harlem's 1930s and '40s jazz scene,
featuring performances by all the major jazz artists of the day.
In the '60s, it helped launch the careers of artists such as
Ella Fitzgerald, James Brown, and the Jackson 5.

6. Jazz. The original club opened in 1949 and closed in 1965,
but a revival began in 1986. The name of the club comes from
the nickname of a jazz musician who headlined there, and itself
occurs in the titles of at least two jazz standards.

7. This intimate music venue in Manhattan's Greenwich Village, on
W. 4 St. between Broadway and Washington Square Park, was open
1974-2003. Many major musical acts including Bruce Springsteen
played there, and it had a reputation for premiering new talent.
Lou Reed recorded the album "Live: Take No Prisoners" there.

8. Also in Greenwich Village, a nightclub opened in 1938 by Barney
Josephson to showcase African-American talent and to be an
American version of the political cabarets he had seen in Europe
before the war. Billie Holiday and many other famous jazz acts
sang there; it closed in 1948. Its name comes from a nickname
for the "beautiful people".

9. An upscale restaurant and nightclub on the 65th floor of
the GE Building at Rockefeller Center. It first opened on
1934-10-03, and was originally conceived as a formal supper club.

10. This club operated during and after Prohibition. While it
featured many of the greatest African-American entertainers of
the era, such as Duke Ellington and Cab Calloway, it generally
denied admission to blacks. A movie of the fictionalized
history of the club was directed by Francis Ford Coppola.

* Game 6, Round 3 - Science - Recently Extinct

For each question on this round, you must name something that has
been declared extinct within, oh, the last 500 years or thereabouts.
*Note*: Again, we generally need the full name for each one.

1. This is an extinct subspecies of the plains zebra, which was once
found in great numbers in South Africa. It had zebra stripes on
the front part of the body only. The last wild one was probably
shot in the late 1870s, and the last specimen in captivity died
on 1883-08-12.

2. These were giant flightless birds native to New Zealand -- not
only flightless, but in fact wingless. They reached up to
10 feet (3 m) in height and weighed 550 pounds (250 kg).
They are thought to have become extinct around 1500.

3. This was a flightless bird 3 feet (1 m) high that lived on the
islands of Mauritius. It's been extinct since the mid-to-late
17th century.

4. This was once the most common bird in North America; there
were as many as 5,000,000,000 of them at the time of the
European conquest. The last one, named Martha, died in the
Cincinnati Zoo on 1914-09-01.

5. Another flightless bird, this one looked something like a
penguin and stood about 30-34 inches (75-85 cm) high. It was
hunted to extinction in the North Atlantic; the last specimen
died around 1852. Many types of birds of this family survive;
we need the specific term for this extinct type.

6. This was a very large type of cattle, originally prevalent in
Europe. They are depicted in many paleolithic cave paintings
there. The last recorded live specimen, a female, died in 1627
in Poland's Jaktorów Forest.

7. Sometimes extinction can be a good thing, for humans. For
example, this highly contagious disease was caused by either
of two virus variants named Variola major and minor. After
successful vaccination campaigns throughout the 19th and 20th
centuries, in 1979 the World Health Organization certified the
eradication of this disease in the wild (though some labs still
have specimens).

8. In 1988, the WHO passed a global initiative with the goal
of eradicating this paralytic viral disease by the year 2000.
They didn't quite succeed, but almost all remaining infections
are located in just two areas: the Indian subcontinent and
Nigeria. There were under 2,000 cases worldwide in 2005,
where there used to be epidemics affecting tens of thousands.
Name the disease. The short name is okay.

9. This small, shiny, brightly-colored toad was once abundant in
a small region of high-altitude cloud-covered forests above the
city of Monteverde, Costa Rica, but has not been seen since 1989.
This is attributed to climate change due to global warming.
The toad has many names, but we want the most common one,
which refers to its color.

10. This is a very large and extremely rare member of the
woodpecker family, Picidae; it is now officially listed as
an endangered species, but at the end of the 20th century had
widely been considered extinct. This iconic bird is a symbol
of lost southern bayous and swamps. The short name is okay.

--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "How many killers do we know who'd use a semicolon?"
m...@vex.net --Delia Peabody (Nora Roberts as J.D. Robb)

Dan Blum

Aug 20, 2020, 12:36:26 AM8/20/20
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 6, Round 2 - Entertainment - New York City Clubs

> 1. It was in the Bowery district of Manhattan, and operated
> 1973-2006. Many famous punk and new wave acts played there,
> including the Talking Heads, Blondie, and the Ramones. The short
> name is okay.

CBGB

> 3. 254 W. 54 St. Open 1977-86, it was operated by Steve Rubell.
> Previously a radio and TV soundstage, it was the model for the
> club featured in the movie "The Last Days of Disco".

Studio 54

> 9. An upscale restaurant and nightclub on the 65th floor of
> the GE Building at Rockefeller Center. It first opened on
> 1934-10-03, and was originally conceived as a formal supper club.

Top of the Town

> 10. This club operated during and after Prohibition. While it
> featured many of the greatest African-American entertainers of
> the era, such as Duke Ellington and Cab Calloway, it generally
> denied admission to blacks. A movie of the fictionalized
> history of the club was directed by Francis Ford Coppola.

Cotton Club

> * Game 6, Round 3 - Science - Recently Extinct

> 1. This is an extinct subspecies of the plains zebra, which was once
> found in great numbers in South Africa. It had zebra stripes on
> the front part of the body only. The last wild one was probably
> shot in the late 1870s, and the last specimen in captivity died
> on 1883-08-12.

quagga

> 2. These were giant flightless birds native to New Zealand -- not
> only flightless, but in fact wingless. They reached up to
> 10 feet (3 m) in height and weighed 550 pounds (250 kg).
> They are thought to have become extinct around 1500.

moa

> 3. This was a flightless bird 3 feet (1 m) high that lived on the
> islands of Mauritius. It's been extinct since the mid-to-late
> 17th century.

dodo

> 4. This was once the most common bird in North America; there
> were as many as 5,000,000,000 of them at the time of the
> European conquest. The last one, named Martha, died in the
> Cincinnati Zoo on 1914-09-01.

passenger pigeon

> 5. Another flightless bird, this one looked something like a
> penguin and stood about 30-34 inches (75-85 cm) high. It was
> hunted to extinction in the North Atlantic; the last specimen
> died around 1852. Many types of birds of this family survive;
> we need the specific term for this extinct type.

great auk

> 6. This was a very large type of cattle, originally prevalent in
> Europe. They are depicted in many paleolithic cave paintings
> there. The last recorded live specimen, a female, died in 1627
> in Poland's Jaktor?w Forest.

aurochs

> 7. Sometimes extinction can be a good thing, for humans. For
> example, this highly contagious disease was caused by either
> of two virus variants named Variola major and minor. After
> successful vaccination campaigns throughout the 19th and 20th
> centuries, in 1979 the World Health Organization certified the
> eradication of this disease in the wild (though some labs still
> have specimens).

smallpox

> 8. In 1988, the WHO passed a global initiative with the goal
> of eradicating this paralytic viral disease by the year 2000.
> They didn't quite succeed, but almost all remaining infections
> are located in just two areas: the Indian subcontinent and
> Nigeria. There were under 2,000 cases worldwide in 2005,
> where there used to be epidemics affecting tens of thousands.
> Name the disease. The short name is okay.

polio

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Joshua Kreitzer

Aug 20, 2020, 12:40:47 AM8/20/20
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:IPSdnbgc8aHIa6DCnZ2dnUU7-
dnN...@giganews.com:

> * Game 6, Round 2 - Entertainment - New York City Clubs
>
> In each case, name the club. Except as noted, *full names*
> are required.
>
> 1. It was in the Bowery district of Manhattan, and operated
> 1973-2006. Many famous punk and new wave acts played there,
> including the Talking Heads, Blondie, and the Ramones. The short
> name is okay.

CBGB

> 3. 254 W. 54 St. Open 1977-86, it was operated by Steve Rubell.
> Previously a radio and TV soundstage, it was the model for the
> club featured in the movie "The Last Days of Disco".

Studio 54

> 4. This jazz club in a dark basement in Greenwich Village has been
> open since 1935. Over a hundred jazz albums have been recorded
> at the venue, including ones by Bill Evans and John Coltrane
> in 1961.

The Blue Note

> 5. Originally a burlesque and vaudeville house, after 1934
> it played a major role in Harlem's 1930s and '40s jazz scene,
> featuring performances by all the major jazz artists of the day.
> In the '60s, it helped launch the careers of artists such as
> Ella Fitzgerald, James Brown, and the Jackson 5.

Apollo Theater
(hadn't Ella Fitzgerald's career been launched well before the '60s?)

> 6. Jazz. The original club opened in 1949 and closed in 1965,
> but a revival began in 1986. The name of the club comes from
> the nickname of a jazz musician who headlined there, and itself
> occurs in the titles of at least two jazz standards.

Birdland

> 10. This club operated during and after Prohibition. While it
> featured many of the greatest African-American entertainers of
> the era, such as Duke Ellington and Cab Calloway, it generally
> denied admission to blacks. A movie of the fictionalized
> history of the club was directed by Francis Ford Coppola.

The Cotton Club

> * Game 6, Round 3 - Science - Recently Extinct
>
> For each question on this round, you must name something that has
> been declared extinct within, oh, the last 500 years or thereabouts.
> *Note*: Again, we generally need the full name for each one.
>
> 1. This is an extinct subspecies of the plains zebra, which was once
> found in great numbers in South Africa. It had zebra stripes on
> the front part of the body only. The last wild one was probably
> shot in the late 1870s, and the last specimen in captivity died
> on 1883-08-12.

quagga

> 2. These were giant flightless birds native to New Zealand -- not
> only flightless, but in fact wingless. They reached up to
> 10 feet (3 m) in height and weighed 550 pounds (250 kg).
> They are thought to have become extinct around 1500.

moa

> 3. This was a flightless bird 3 feet (1 m) high that lived on the
> islands of Mauritius. It's been extinct since the mid-to-late
> 17th century.

dodo

> 4. This was once the most common bird in North America; there
> were as many as 5,000,000,000 of them at the time of the
> European conquest. The last one, named Martha, died in the
> Cincinnati Zoo on 1914-09-01.

passenger pigeon

> 5. Another flightless bird, this one looked something like a
> penguin and stood about 30-34 inches (75-85 cm) high. It was
> hunted to extinction in the North Atlantic; the last specimen
> died around 1852. Many types of birds of this family survive;
> we need the specific term for this extinct type.

great auk

> 6. This was a very large type of cattle, originally prevalent in
> Europe. They are depicted in many paleolithic cave paintings
> there. The last recorded live specimen, a female, died in 1627
> in Poland's Jaktorów Forest.

aurochs

> 7. Sometimes extinction can be a good thing, for humans. For
> example, this highly contagious disease was caused by either
> of two virus variants named Variola major and minor. After
> successful vaccination campaigns throughout the 19th and 20th
> centuries, in 1979 the World Health Organization certified the
> eradication of this disease in the wild (though some labs still
> have specimens).

smallpox

> 8. In 1988, the WHO passed a global initiative with the goal
> of eradicating this paralytic viral disease by the year 2000.
> They didn't quite succeed, but almost all remaining infections
> are located in just two areas: the Indian subcontinent and
> Nigeria. There were under 2,000 cases worldwide in 2005,
> where there used to be epidemics affecting tens of thousands.
> Name the disease. The short name is okay.

polio

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

Bruce Bowler

Aug 20, 2020, 10:03:22 AM8/20/20
On Wed, 19 Aug 2020 23:04:37 -0500, Mark Brader wrote:

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2007-02-26, and
> should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written by
> members of the Usual Suspects, but have been reformatted and may have
> been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the correct answers in
> about 3 days.
>
> For further information, including an explanation of the """ notation
> that may appear in these rounds, see my 2020-06-23 companion posting on
> "Reposted Questions from the Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".
>

> I did not write either of these rounds.
>

> * Game 6, Round 2 - Entertainment - New York City Clubs
>
> In each case, name the club. Except as noted, *full names*
> are required.
>
> 1. It was in the Bowery district of Manhattan, and operated
> 1973-2006. Many famous punk and new wave acts played there,
> including the Talking Heads, Blondie, and the Ramones. The short
> name is okay.
>
> 2. A favorite spot of Andy Warhol's entourage, it was open 1965-74,
> then 1975-81. The Velvet Underground played their last shows with
> Lou Reed there. It was home base for the short-lived glitter rock
> scene, and also one of the birthplaces of punk rock in the 70s.
>
> 3. 254 W. 54 St. Open 1977-86, it was operated by Steve Rubell.
> Previously a radio and TV soundstage, it was the model for the club
> featured in the movie "The Last Days of Disco".

Studio 54

> 4. This jazz club in a dark basement in Greenwich Village has been
> open since 1935. Over a hundred jazz albums have been recorded at
> the venue, including ones by Bill Evans and John Coltrane in 1961.

The Bitter End

> 5. Originally a burlesque and vaudeville house, after 1934
> it played a major role in Harlem's 1930s and '40s jazz scene,
> featuring performances by all the major jazz artists of the day. In
> the '60s, it helped launch the careers of artists such as Ella
> Fitzgerald, James Brown, and the Jackson 5.

The Apollo Theater

> 6. Jazz. The original club opened in 1949 and closed in 1965,
> but a revival began in 1986. The name of the club comes from the
> nickname of a jazz musician who headlined there, and itself occurs in
> the titles of at least two jazz standards.
>
> 7. This intimate music venue in Manhattan's Greenwich Village, on
> W. 4 St. between Broadway and Washington Square Park, was open
> 1974-2003. Many major musical acts including Bruce Springsteen
> played there, and it had a reputation for premiering new talent. Lou
> Reed recorded the album "Live: Take No Prisoners" there.

The Bitter End

> 8. Also in Greenwich Village, a nightclub opened in 1938 by Barney
> Josephson to showcase African-American talent and to be an American
> version of the political cabarets he had seen in Europe before the
> war. Billie Holiday and many other famous jazz acts sang there; it
> closed in 1948. Its name comes from a nickname for the "beautiful
> people".

The Bitter End

> 9. An upscale restaurant and nightclub on the 65th floor of
> the GE Building at Rockefeller Center. It first opened on
> 1934-10-03, and was originally conceived as a formal supper club.
>
> 10. This club operated during and after Prohibition. While it
> featured many of the greatest African-American entertainers of the
> era, such as Duke Ellington and Cab Calloway, it generally denied
> admission to blacks. A movie of the fictionalized history of the
> club was directed by Francis Ford Coppola.
>

> * Game 6, Round 3 - Science - Recently Extinct
>
> For each question on this round, you must name something that has been
> declared extinct within, oh, the last 500 years or thereabouts.
> *Note*: Again, we generally need the full name for each one.
>
> 1. This is an extinct subspecies of the plains zebra, which was once
> found in great numbers in South Africa. It had zebra stripes on the
> front part of the body only. The last wild one was probably shot in
> the late 1870s, and the last specimen in captivity died on
> 1883-08-12.

Quagga

> 2. These were giant flightless birds native to New Zealand -- not
> only flightless, but in fact wingless. They reached up to 10 feet (3
> m) in height and weighed 550 pounds (250 kg).
> They are thought to have become extinct around 1500.

Moa

> 3. This was a flightless bird 3 feet (1 m) high that lived on the
> islands of Mauritius. It's been extinct since the mid-to-late 17th
> century.

The Dodo

> 4. This was once the most common bird in North America; there
> were as many as 5,000,000,000 of them at the time of the European
> conquest. The last one, named Martha, died in the Cincinnati Zoo on
> 1914-09-01.

Passenger Pigeon

> 5. Another flightless bird, this one looked something like a
> penguin and stood about 30-34 inches (75-85 cm) high. It was hunted
> to extinction in the North Atlantic; the last specimen died around
> 1852. Many types of birds of this family survive; we need the
> specific term for this extinct type.

Great Auk

> 6. This was a very large type of cattle, originally prevalent in
> Europe. They are depicted in many paleolithic cave paintings there.
> The last recorded live specimen, a female, died in 1627 in Poland's
> Jaktorów Forest.
>
> 7. Sometimes extinction can be a good thing, for humans. For
> example, this highly contagious disease was caused by either of two
> virus variants named Variola major and minor. After successful
> vaccination campaigns throughout the 19th and 20th centuries, in 1979
> the World Health Organization certified the eradication of this
> disease in the wild (though some labs still have specimens).

Small pox

> 8. In 1988, the WHO passed a global initiative with the goal
> of eradicating this paralytic viral disease by the year 2000. They
> didn't quite succeed, but almost all remaining infections are located
> in just two areas: the Indian subcontinent and Nigeria. There were
> under 2,000 cases worldwide in 2005,
> where there used to be epidemics affecting tens of thousands. Name
> the disease. The short name is okay.

Polio

> 9. This small, shiny, brightly-colored toad was once abundant in
> a small region of high-altitude cloud-covered forests above the city
> of Monteverde, Costa Rica, but has not been seen since 1989.
> This is attributed to climate change due to global warming.
> The toad has many names, but we want the most common one,
> which refers to its color.

Golden Toad

> 10. This is a very large and extremely rare member of the
> woodpecker family, Picidae; it is now officially listed as an
> endangered species, but at the end of the 20th century had widely
> been considered extinct. This iconic bird is a symbol of lost
> southern bayous and swamps. The short name is okay.

Ivory billed woodpecker

Erland Sommarskog

Aug 20, 2020, 2:31:34 PM8/20/20
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> * Game 6, Round 3 - Science - Recently Extinct
>
> For each question on this round, you must name something that has
> been declared extinct within, oh, the last 500 years or thereabouts.
> *Note*: Again, we generally need the full name for each one.
>
> 1. This is an extinct subspecies of the plains zebra, which was once
> found in great numbers in South Africa. It had zebra stripes on
> the front part of the body only. The last wild one was probably
> shot in the late 1870s, and the last specimen in captivity died
> on 1883-08-12.

Quagga

> 2. These were giant flightless birds native to New Zealand -- not
> only flightless, but in fact wingless. They reached up to
> 10 feet (3 m) in height and weighed 550 pounds (250 kg).
> They are thought to have become extinct around 1500.

Moa

And with the Moa gone, there was nothing for the Haast eagle who
also went out of business.

> 6. This was a very large type of cattle, originally prevalent in
> Europe. They are depicted in many paleolithic cave paintings
> there. The last recorded live specimen, a female, died in 1627
> in Poland's Jaktorów Forest.

Vicent

> 7. Sometimes extinction can be a good thing, for humans. For
> example, this highly contagious disease was caused by either
> of two virus variants named Variola major and minor. After
> successful vaccination campaigns throughout the 19th and 20th
> centuries, in 1979 the World Health Organization certified the
> eradication of this disease in the wild (though some labs still
> have specimens).

Smallpox

> 8. In 1988, the WHO passed a global initiative with the goal
> of eradicating this paralytic viral disease by the year 2000.
> They didn't quite succeed, but almost all remaining infections
> are located in just two areas: the Indian subcontinent and
> Nigeria. There were under 2,000 cases worldwide in 2005,
> where there used to be epidemics affecting tens of thousands.
> Name the disease. The short name is okay.

Polio

Dan Tilque

Aug 20, 2020, 7:09:27 PM8/20/20
Cotton Club

> 6. Jazz. The original club opened in 1949 and closed in 1965,
> but a revival began in 1986. The name of the club comes from
> the nickname of a jazz musician who headlined there, and itself
> occurs in the titles of at least two jazz standards.
>
> 7. This intimate music venue in Manhattan's Greenwich Village, on
> W. 4 St. between Broadway and Washington Square Park, was open
> 1974-2003. Many major musical acts including Bruce Springsteen
> played there, and it had a reputation for premiering new talent.
> Lou Reed recorded the album "Live: Take No Prisoners" there.
>
> 8. Also in Greenwich Village, a nightclub opened in 1938 by Barney
> Josephson to showcase African-American talent and to be an
> American version of the political cabarets he had seen in Europe
> before the war. Billie Holiday and many other famous jazz acts
> sang there; it closed in 1948. Its name comes from a nickname
> for the "beautiful people".
>
> 9. An upscale restaurant and nightclub on the 65th floor of
> the GE Building at Rockefeller Center. It first opened on
> 1934-10-03, and was originally conceived as a formal supper club.
>
> 10. This club operated during and after Prohibition. While it
> featured many of the greatest African-American entertainers of
> the era, such as Duke Ellington and Cab Calloway, it generally
> denied admission to blacks. A movie of the fictionalized
> history of the club was directed by Francis Ford Coppola.

21 Club

> * Game 6, Round 3 - Science - Recently Extinct
>
> For each question on this round, you must name something that has
> been declared extinct within, oh, the last 500 years or thereabouts.
> *Note*: Again, we generally need the full name for each one.
>
> 1. This is an extinct subspecies of the plains zebra, which was once
> found in great numbers in South Africa. It had zebra stripes on
> the front part of the body only. The last wild one was probably
> shot in the late 1870s, and the last specimen in captivity died
> on 1883-08-12.

quagga

> 2. These were giant flightless birds native to New Zealand -- not
> only flightless, but in fact wingless. They reached up to
> 10 feet (3 m) in height and weighed 550 pounds (250 kg).
> They are thought to have become extinct around 1500.

moa

> 3. This was a flightless bird 3 feet (1 m) high that lived on the
> islands of Mauritius. It's been extinct since the mid-to-late
> 17th century.

dodo

> 4. This was once the most common bird in North America; there
> were as many as 5,000,000,000 of them at the time of the
> European conquest. The last one, named Martha, died in the
> Cincinnati Zoo on 1914-09-01.

passenger pigeon

> 5. Another flightless bird, this one looked something like a
> penguin and stood about 30-34 inches (75-85 cm) high. It was
> hunted to extinction in the North Atlantic; the last specimen
> died around 1852. Many types of birds of this family survive;
> we need the specific term for this extinct type.

skua

> 6. This was a very large type of cattle, originally prevalent in
> Europe. They are depicted in many paleolithic cave paintings
> there. The last recorded live specimen, a female, died in 1627
> in Poland's Jaktorów Forest.

aurochs

> 7. Sometimes extinction can be a good thing, for humans. For
> example, this highly contagious disease was caused by either
> of two virus variants named Variola major and minor. After
> successful vaccination campaigns throughout the 19th and 20th
> centuries, in 1979 the World Health Organization certified the
> eradication of this disease in the wild (though some labs still
> have specimens).

smallpox

> 8. In 1988, the WHO passed a global initiative with the goal
> of eradicating this paralytic viral disease by the year 2000.
> They didn't quite succeed, but almost all remaining infections
> are located in just two areas: the Indian subcontinent and
> Nigeria. There were under 2,000 cases worldwide in 2005,
> where there used to be epidemics affecting tens of thousands.
> Name the disease. The short name is okay.

polio

(still not eradicated)

> 9. This small, shiny, brightly-colored toad was once abundant in
> a small region of high-altitude cloud-covered forests above the
> city of Monteverde, Costa Rica, but has not been seen since 1989.
> This is attributed to climate change due to global warming.
> The toad has many names, but we want the most common one,
> which refers to its color.
>
> 10. This is a very large and extremely rare member of the
> woodpecker family, Picidae; it is now officially listed as
> an endangered species, but at the end of the 20th century had
> widely been considered extinct. This iconic bird is a symbol
> of lost southern bayous and swamps. The short name is okay.

ivory-billed woodpecker

--
Dan Tilque

Pete Gayde

Aug 21, 2020, 3:03:54 PM8/21/20
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:IPSdnbgc8aHIa6DCnZ2dnUU7-
dnN...@giganews.com:

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2007-02-26,
> and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
> by members of the Usual Suspects, but have been reformatted and
> may have been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the
> correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> For further information, including an explanation of the """
> notation that may appear in these rounds, see my 2020-06-23
> companion posting on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".
>

> I did not write either of these rounds.
>

> * Game 6, Round 2 - Entertainment - New York City Clubs
>
> In each case, name the club. Except as noted, *full names*
> are required.
>
> 1. It was in the Bowery district of Manhattan, and operated
> 1973-2006. Many famous punk and new wave acts played there,
> including the Talking Heads, Blondie, and the Ramones. The short
> name is okay.

CBGBs

> 2. A favorite spot of Andy Warhol's entourage, it was open 1965-74,
> then 1975-81. The Velvet Underground played their last shows
> with Lou Reed there. It was home base for the short-lived
> glitter rock scene, and also one of the birthplaces of punk
> rock in the 70s.
>
> 3. 254 W. 54 St. Open 1977-86, it was operated by Steve Rubell.
> Previously a radio and TV soundstage, it was the model for the
> club featured in the movie "The Last Days of Disco".

Studio 54

> 4. This jazz club in a dark basement in Greenwich Village has been
> open since 1935. Over a hundred jazz albums have been recorded
> at the venue, including ones by Bill Evans and John Coltrane
> in 1961.

Village Vanguard

> 5. Originally a burlesque and vaudeville house, after 1934
> it played a major role in Harlem's 1930s and '40s jazz scene,
> featuring performances by all the major jazz artists of the day.
> In the '60s, it helped launch the careers of artists such as
> Ella Fitzgerald, James Brown, and the Jackson 5.

Apollo Theater

> 6. Jazz. The original club opened in 1949 and closed in 1965,
> but a revival began in 1986. The name of the club comes from
> the nickname of a jazz musician who headlined there, and itself
> occurs in the titles of at least two jazz standards.

Birdland

> 7. This intimate music venue in Manhattan's Greenwich Village, on
> W. 4 St. between Broadway and Washington Square Park, was open
> 1974-2003. Many major musical acts including Bruce Springsteen
> played there, and it had a reputation for premiering new talent.
> Lou Reed recorded the album "Live: Take No Prisoners" there.
>
> 8. Also in Greenwich Village, a nightclub opened in 1938 by Barney
> Josephson to showcase African-American talent and to be an
> American version of the political cabarets he had seen in Europe
> before the war. Billie Holiday and many other famous jazz acts
> sang there; it closed in 1948. Its name comes from a nickname
> for the "beautiful people".
>
> 9. An upscale restaurant and nightclub on the 65th floor of
> the GE Building at Rockefeller Center. It first opened on
> 1934-10-03, and was originally conceived as a formal supper club.

Copa Cabana

> 10. This club operated during and after Prohibition. While it
> featured many of the greatest African-American entertainers of
> the era, such as Duke Ellington and Cab Calloway, it generally
> denied admission to blacks. A movie of the fictionalized
> history of the club was directed by Francis Ford Coppola.

Cotton Club

> * Game 6, Round 3 - Science - Recently Extinct
>
> For each question on this round, you must name something that has
> been declared extinct within, oh, the last 500 years or thereabouts.
> *Note*: Again, we generally need the full name for each one.
>
> 1. This is an extinct subspecies of the plains zebra, which was once
> found in great numbers in South Africa. It had zebra stripes on
> the front part of the body only. The last wild one was probably
> shot in the late 1870s, and the last specimen in captivity died
> on 1883-08-12.
>
> 2. These were giant flightless birds native to New Zealand -- not
> only flightless, but in fact wingless. They reached up to
> 10 feet (3 m) in height and weighed 550 pounds (250 kg).
> They are thought to have become extinct around 1500.

Moa

> 3. This was a flightless bird 3 feet (1 m) high that lived on the
> islands of Mauritius. It's been extinct since the mid-to-late
> 17th century.

Dodo

> 4. This was once the most common bird in North America; there
> were as many as 5,000,000,000 of them at the time of the
> European conquest. The last one, named Martha, died in the
> Cincinnati Zoo on 1914-09-01.

Passenger Pigeon

> 5. Another flightless bird, this one looked something like a
> penguin and stood about 30-34 inches (75-85 cm) high. It was
> hunted to extinction in the North Atlantic; the last specimen
> died around 1852. Many types of birds of this family survive;
> we need the specific term for this extinct type.
>
> 6. This was a very large type of cattle, originally prevalent in
> Europe. They are depicted in many paleolithic cave paintings
> there. The last recorded live specimen, a female, died in 1627
> in Poland's Jaktorów Forest.
>
> 7. Sometimes extinction can be a good thing, for humans. For
> example, this highly contagious disease was caused by either
> of two virus variants named Variola major and minor. After
> successful vaccination campaigns throughout the 19th and 20th
> centuries, in 1979 the World Health Organization certified the
> eradication of this disease in the wild (though some labs still
> have specimens).

Smallpox

> 8. In 1988, the WHO passed a global initiative with the goal
> of eradicating this paralytic viral disease by the year 2000.
> They didn't quite succeed, but almost all remaining infections
> are located in just two areas: the Indian subcontinent and
> Nigeria. There were under 2,000 cases worldwide in 2005,
> where there used to be epidemics affecting tens of thousands.
> Name the disease. The short name is okay.
>
> 9. This small, shiny, brightly-colored toad was once abundant in
> a small region of high-altitude cloud-covered forests above the
> city of Monteverde, Costa Rica, but has not been seen since 1989.
> This is attributed to climate change due to global warming.
> The toad has many names, but we want the most common one,
> which refers to its color.
>
> 10. This is a very large and extremely rare member of the
> woodpecker family, Picidae; it is now officially listed as
> an endangered species, but at the end of the 20th century had
> widely been considered extinct. This iconic bird is a symbol
> of lost southern bayous and swamps. The short name is okay.

Pete Gayde

Mark Brader

Aug 23, 2020, 12:04:01 AM8/23/20
Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2007-02-26,
> and should be interpreted accordingly... For further information,
> including an explanation of the """ notation that may appear in these
> rounds, see my 2020-06-23 companion posting on "Reposted Questions
> from the Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

> I did not write either of these rounds.

> * Game 6, Round 2 - Entertainment - New York City Clubs

> In each case, name the club. Except as noted, *full names*
> are required.

This was the hardest round in the original game.

> 1. It was in the Bowery district of Manhattan, and operated
> 1973-2006. Many famous punk and new wave acts played there,
> including the Talking Heads, Blondie, and the Ramones. The short
> name is okay.

CBGB (Country, Blue Grass and Blues). 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua,
and Pete.

> 2. A favorite spot of Andy Warhol's entourage, it was open 1965-74,
> then 1975-81. The Velvet Underground played their last shows
> with Lou Reed there. It was home base for the short-lived
> glitter rock scene, and also one of the birthplaces of punk
> rock in the 70s.

Max's Kansas City.

> 3. 254 W. 54 St. Open 1977-86, it was operated by Steve Rubell.
> Previously a radio and TV soundstage, it was the model for the
> club featured in the movie "The Last Days of Disco".

Studio 54. 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, Bruce, and Pete.

> 4. This jazz club in a dark basement in Greenwich Village has been
> open since 1935. Over a hundred jazz albums have been recorded
> at the venue, including ones by Bill Evans and John Coltrane
> in 1961.

Village Vanguard. 4 for Pete.

> 5. Originally a burlesque and vaudeville house, after 1934
> it played a major role in Harlem's 1930s and '40s jazz scene,
> featuring performances by all the major jazz artists of the day.
> In the '60s, it helped launch the careers of artists such as
> Ella Fitzgerald, James Brown, and the Jackson 5.

Apollo Theater. (Still there.) 4 for Joshua, Bruce, and Pete.

> 6. Jazz. The original club opened in 1949 and closed in 1965,
> but a revival began in 1986. The name of the club comes from
> the nickname of a jazz musician who headlined there, and itself
> occurs in the titles of at least two jazz standards.

Birdland. (After Charlie Parker; "Birdland" by Weather Report;
"Lullaby of Birdland" by George Shearing.) 4 for Joshua and Pete.

> 7. This intimate music venue in Manhattan's Greenwich Village, on
> W. 4 St. between Broadway and Washington Square Park, was open
> 1974-2003. Many major musical acts including Bruce Springsteen
> played there, and it had a reputation for premiering new talent.
> Lou Reed recorded the album "Live: Take No Prisoners" there.

The Bottom Line.

> 8. Also in Greenwich Village, a nightclub opened in 1938 by Barney
> Josephson to showcase African-American talent and to be an
> American version of the political cabarets he had seen in Europe
> before the war. Billie Holiday and many other famous jazz acts
> sang there; it closed in 1948. Its name comes from a nickname
> for the "beautiful people".

Cafe Society.

> 9. An upscale restaurant and nightclub on the 65th floor of
> the GE Building at Rockefeller Center. It first opened on
> 1934-10-03, and was originally conceived as a formal supper club.

Rainbow Room. (Still there.)

> 10. This club operated during and after Prohibition. While it
> featured many of the greatest African-American entertainers of
> the era, such as Duke Ellington and Cab Calloway, it generally
> denied admission to blacks. A movie of the fictionalized
> history of the club was directed by Francis Ford Coppola.

Cotton Club. 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, and Pete.

> * Game 6, Round 3 - Science - Recently Extinct

> For each question on this round, you must name something that has
> been declared extinct within, oh, the last 500 years or thereabouts.
> *Note*: Again, we generally need the full name for each one.

> 1. This is an extinct subspecies of the plains zebra, which was once
> found in great numbers in South Africa. It had zebra stripes on
> the front part of the body only. The last wild one was probably
> shot in the late 1870s, and the last specimen in captivity died
> on 1883-08-12.

Quagga. 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, Bruce, Erland, and Dan Tilque.

See: http://www.wired.com/images_blogs/thisdayintech/2009/08/quagga.jpg
But in recent years there has been an attempt to revive the species
by breeding of zebras. See:
http://www.cnn.com/2016/01/25/africa/quagga-project-zebra-conservation-extinct-south-africa/index.html
and, of course, the 2015-02-12 episode of "Elementary".

> 2. These were giant flightless birds native to New Zealand -- not
> only flightless, but in fact wingless. They reached up to
> 10 feet (3 m) in height and weighed 550 pounds (250 kg).
> They are thought to have become extinct around 1500.

Moa. 4 for everyone -- Dan Blum, Joshua, Bruce, Erland, Dan Tilque,
and Pete.

See: http://i.redd.it/dnebr9bnk8h31.jpg

> 3. This was a flightless bird 3 feet (1 m) high that lived on the
> islands of Mauritius. It's been extinct since the mid-to-late
> 17th century.

Dodo. 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, Bruce, Dan Tilque, and Pete.

See: http://assets.atlasobscura.com/article_images/5133/image

> 4. This was once the most common bird in North America; there
> were as many as 5,000,000,000 of them at the time of the
> European conquest. The last one, named Martha, died in the
> Cincinnati Zoo on 1914-09-01.

Passenger pigeon. 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, Bruce, Dan Tilque,
and Pete.

See: http://images.theconversation.com/files/318167/original/file-20200302-18279-p48l9c.jpg

> 5. Another flightless bird, this one looked something like a
> penguin and stood about 30-34 inches (75-85 cm) high. It was
> hunted to extinction in the North Atlantic; the last specimen
> died around 1852. Many types of birds of this family survive;
> we need the specific term for this extinct type.

Great auk. 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, and Bruce.

See: http://static01.nyt.com/images/2019/12/21/science/21OBS-AUKS1-inyt/04TB-AUKS1-superJumbo.jpg

> 6. This was a very large type of cattle, originally prevalent in
> Europe. They are depicted in many paleolithic cave paintings
> there. The last recorded live specimen, a female, died in 1627
> in Poland's Jaktorów Forest.

Aurochs. 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, and Dan Tilque.

See: http://www.eurowildlife.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/04/european-wildlife-aurochs-brehm-large-herbivores-wild-cattle-ungulate-color-1200x826.jpg
In recent years there's been an attempt to revive this one too, by
breeding cattle. See:
http://www.eurowildlife.org/news/the-aurochs-is-coming-back-to-european-forests-and-grasslands/

> 7. Sometimes extinction can be a good thing, for humans. For
> example, this highly contagious disease was caused by either
> of two virus variants named Variola major and minor. After
> successful vaccination campaigns throughout the 19th and 20th
> centuries, in 1979 the World Health Organization certified the
> eradication of this disease in the wild (though some labs still
> have specimens).

Smallpox. 4 for everyone.

See: http://www.sciencemag.org/sites/default/files/styles/article_main_image_-_1280w__no_aspect_/public/cc_SciSource_E00099_16x9.jpg

> 8. In 1988, the WHO passed a global initiative with the goal
> of eradicating this paralytic viral disease by the year 2000.
> They didn't quite succeed, but almost all remaining infections
> are located in just two areas: the Indian subcontinent and
> Nigeria. There were under 2,000 cases worldwide in 2005,
> where there used to be epidemics affecting tens of thousands.
> Name the disease. The short name is okay.

Polio(myelitis). 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, Bruce, Erland,
and Dan Tilque.

See: http://owqo93fpiuc4633lp1zthz57-wpengine.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/11/2018/12/ca0911polio_tem_192123.jpg

> 9. This small, shiny, brightly-colored toad was once abundant in
> a small region of high-altitude cloud-covered forests above the
> city of Monteverde, Costa Rica, but has not been seen since 1989.
> This is attributed to climate change due to global warming.
> The toad has many names, but we want the most common one,
> which refers to its color.

Golden toad. Anything with "golden" was acceptable. 4 for Bruce.

See: http://www.nationalgeographic.com/content/dam/news/photos/000/243/24389.ngsversion.1422033157926.adapt.1900.1.jpg

> 10. This is a very large and extremely rare member of the
> woodpecker family, Picidae; it is now officially listed as
> an endangered species, but at the end of the 20th century had
> widely been considered extinct. This iconic bird is a symbol
> of lost southern bayous and swamps. The short name is okay.

Ivory-bill(ed woodpecker), also known as the Lord God bird.
4 for Bruce and Dan Tilque.

See: http://media.conservationjobs.co.uk/2017/01/ivory-billed-woodpecker-e1485773799421.jpg

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 6 ROUNDS-> 2 3 TOTALS
TOPICS-> Ent Sci
Joshua Kreitzer 20 32 52
Bruce Bowler 8 36 44
Dan Blum 12 32 44
Pete Gayde 24 16 40
Dan Tilque 0 32 32
Erland Sommarskog 0 16 16

--
Mark Brader | "Earthmen learned how to send ships through space, and
m...@vex.net | so initiated human history, though I suppose there was